PDA

View Full Version : Earl Cochrane Thread

jabbronies
09-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Hey all,

With rumours swirling around about Earl becoming TFC's new head honcho, can those in the know please tell us the pros and cons of this move.

As someone who has been around since day 1 - I don't see how this can be a good thing considering how poorly this team has been run.

MartinUtd
09-07-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm afraid we're at the mercy of an old boys club who are currently engaged in a game of musical chairs.

What's Miltown doing these days? I never did make it to one of their matches.

London
09-07-2012, 09:46 AM
in MLSE world

incompetence=promotion

TFC Cityboy
09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Shit floats

London
09-07-2012, 09:59 AM
^^^ and tom and earls promotions would be the peanut on the top of that shit

Brooker
09-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Anybody's face that is recognizable at BMO Field should be fired on the spot. Can we do that, please?

Canary10
09-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Here's what I'll always think of when I hear Cochrane's name:

Earl Cochrane: “As of today Joao Plata is still a Toronto FC player.”
http://typicaltfc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Joao-Plata-introduced-at-LDU-Quito-e1343077119174.jpg

starter
09-07-2012, 10:19 AM
The Star article mentions that an executive search firm has been engaged to fill the CEO post.
Hope that Earls' appointment may not happen just yet.

Ultra & Proud
09-07-2012, 10:27 AM
The Star article mentions that an executive search firm has been engaged to fill the CEO post.
Hope that Earls' appointment may not happen just yet.
Good. Earl 'The Pearl' is not the answer for us. I'd hope for something better.

I wonder what search firm. They could be E-mailed some suggestions on who not to recommend.

starter
09-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Good. Earl 'The Pearl' is not the answer for us. I'd hope for something better.

I wonder what search firm. They could be E-mailed some suggestions on who not to recommend.

Korn Ferry

Ultra & Proud
09-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Korn Ferry

Bah, I heard it's done already. They had an internal MLSE presser yesterday with Cochrane, Burke, & Colangelo at the head table doing the addresses for their respective teams. See Newf's Blog.

Ultra & Proud
09-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Now this would have been a position that you'd hire something like Soccer Solutions to scout for a replacement rather than a manager.

Darlofletch
09-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Here's what I'll always think of when I hear Cochrane's name:

Earl Cochrane: “As of today Joao Plata is still a Toronto FC player.”

http://typicaltfc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Joao-Plata-introduced-at-LDU-Quito-e1343077119174.jpg

I just think nathan Sturgis. oh, and De Ro at celtic.

Canary10
09-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Bah, I heard it's done already. They had an internal MLSE presser yesterday with Cochrane, Burke, & Colangelo at the head table doing the addresses for their respective teams. See Newf's Blog.

That's fucking disaster to be honest. There are a handful of people who have been with the club since day 1, and Anselmi and Cochrane are two of them. Most organizations look at the team results over six years, and conclude that maybe some new thinking at the top is in order. MLSE decide to promote the very people who have presided over staleness for the whole time. It's really unbelievable how much mediocrity is rewarded at TFC (except if you are a manager - they seem to be held to a higher account).

Canary10
09-07-2012, 10:42 AM
I just think nathan Sturgis. oh, and De Ro at celtic.

Lol. Everyone has their own list of ineptitude when it comes to this guy.

brad
09-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Remember that success for success for MLSE internally is not about wins, it's about money made. TFC have made money, and if Earl is seen as part of that he will be seen as a success.

Canary10
09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Declining season seat holders, end of the waiting list, recent crowd turnouts (in addition to the horrible on-field results) would all give me pause to think maybe bringing in some new blood would be a good idea. Problem is, TFC is not run as a meritocracy, it's an entitlement program.

brad
09-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't think the reckoning will come until the bottom line actual falls enough, and enough time passes to convince those above that it is not a blip.

What we have today in facts is TFC have been successful financially, and they sold 16k season tickets. This is above what the initial estimates were for te team to be viable if I recall, and at a higher price point.

There are certainly worrying times ahead for the reasons Canary mentioned. I bet the latest survey results were also pretty interesting.

But there will be a lot of internal spin going on about how winning is just around the corner, tapping new fan markets, ect ect will keep the numbers up.

IMHO - its not until 2-3 years of actual poor ticket sales until we see a shift in management.

Ultra & Proud
09-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Lol. Everyone has their own list of ineptitude when it comes to this guy.

But if you're in need of some fine Snake Oil then he's got the cure for what ails ya!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8X_KDc675b8/UB4j2qOSAOI/AAAAAAAACGw/KG6gpuCSQ9M/s1600/snake-oil-salesman.jpg

Auzzy
09-07-2012, 02:16 PM
OMFG Earl Cochrane???!!! I can't believe it.

Wow, just wow: http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2012/09/quiet-resignation/

tfcleeds
09-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Sadly, can't say I'm surprised if this is indeed the case. Typical way things have worked here since day 1. Remind me what Cochrane did before joining the management team here again?

Richard
09-07-2012, 03:44 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/18937689.jpg

Sullivan
09-08-2012, 02:05 PM
What we have unfolding before us is a live demonstration of the Peter Principle.

With regard to EC, I acknowledge that he's forgotten more about football than Tom Anselmi will ever know. With that said, I'm no more disappointed in TFC with EC eventually being
promoted. My dealings with EC were limited to when he was with the CSA, he was a side show there as well.

No sooner does the club take a step forward, that it then takes those two steps back!

Wull
09-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Where was the step forward?

denime
09-13-2012, 08:39 PM
What we have unfolding before us is a live demonstration of the Peter Principle.

With regard to EC, I acknowledge that he's forgotten more about football than Tom Anselmi will ever know. With that said, I'm no more disappointed in TFC with EC eventually being
promoted. My dealings with EC were limited to when he was with the CSA, he was a side show there as well.

No sooner does the club take a step forward, that it then takes those two steps back!

This is why they might/will promote him.
EC will be president on a paper,a typical yes man who will take a heat for someone else decisions.I actually feel sorry for him,he does know more about soccer than the rest of FO,but he is just not the guy who can run youth club not the mention TFC circus.

Oldtimer
09-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Earl knows more than Tom Anselmi about football just by being the guy fetching the coffee at the CSA. However, we need a strong and knowledgeable person in charge, Earl is just "more of the same," and besides the horrible DeRo fiasco, I suspect he was a major influence in Anselmi making Mariner the boss.

ag futbol
09-14-2012, 07:52 AM
At the risk of stating the obvious, I'll ask if we found someone similar to Earl who was working for the Whitecaps or the Impact, what would their position be? Nick De Santis and Bob Lenarduzzi aren't great, but compared to what we get? In a second I'd take the alternative. Maybe their ideas could be seen as misguided, but at least they have real experience in comparison.

Sounds like we're hiring someone who would be a jr employee elsewhere to be the president of our football club. The ironic part will be when nobody in the press calls them on it.

narduch
09-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Sounds like we're hiring someone who would be a jr employee elsewhere to be the president of our football club. The ironic part will be when nobody in the press calls them on it.

Call them on it?

Guys like Jason De Vos will probably call it a good decision. De Vos has been lobbying for Cochrane for months.

I'm sure Larson and Rollins will be big supporters of it too.

nfitz
09-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Guys like Jason De Vos will probably call it a good decision. De Vos has been lobbying for Cochrane for months.

I'm sure Larson and Rollins will be big supporters of it too.All wiser, better informed people than us. So what do we not see in Cochrane that better minds see?

I've been part of the Cochrane must go camp for a long time, but perhaps I've gotten it wrong.

narduch
09-14-2012, 12:07 PM
All wiser, better informed people than us. So what do we not see in Cochrane that better minds see?

I've been part of the Cochrane must go camp for a long time, but perhaps I've gotten it wrong.

My guess is bias.

Or he's pining for a job.

denime
09-14-2012, 12:09 PM
All wiser, better informed people than us. So what do we not see in Cochrane that better minds see?

He is not decision maker,to soft and he will be just a puppet on that position while someone else(Anselmi) will make decisions what to do.

Waggy
09-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Media people will never, EVER, attack their main sources. If someone has been around an organization like TFC/MLSE for a prolonged period of time and has not had their turn getting run through the mud by the press, it's because they're the one feeding the beast. They're the 'team sources' or 'sources close to the situation' or whatever. It's a natural self preservation for people who's job it is to break news, you need someone to tell you the news to break, so you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you. That scares the shit out of me with EC.

reggie
09-15-2012, 11:09 AM
He is not decision maker,to soft and he will be just a puppet on that position while someone else(Anselmi) will make decisions what to do.

yes he is...but he can sure find some cheap flights and hotels .

zorsofstesab
09-15-2012, 12:46 PM
did you hear what cochrane said on tsn. He said they are 8 to 9 players away from making a good club. wtf, we have not had 8 to 9 decent players in 6 years of football, combined. There is not 1 player on this roster you can build around, not one. Forget silva, forget morgan, forget frei, forget odea, forget johnson. All our fringe to mediocore players who be fillers on decent mls teams. We need better leaderership and cochrane and mariner are not the answers.

Nestease
09-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Jason DeVos called Earl Cochrane "the GM" today. He said him and Mariner have a lot of cleaning house to do for the next season.

Am I falling behind on this revolving door, or has Earl taken this position?

Richard
09-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Jason DeVos called Earl Cochrane "the GM" today. He said him and Mariner have a lot of cleaning house to do for the next season.

Am I falling behind on this revolving door, or has Earl taken this position?

You know at this point in time they might as well give him the reigns, atleast then when he fucks up they must fire his ass.

We all know he wanted the top job, he has been always pushing for it so might as well let him fail and be accountable for once.

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 03:58 PM
What's even crazier is look at the moves that were rumored to be orchestrated by Cochrane that were blocked by winter once he got to the club.

We were linked with three guys...

Bas Ent is playing in the third division in Holland.
Eddie Sidra is without a club and was struggling in the USL.
Andrew Ornoch was in the CSL last I heard, but looks to be in the dutch second division now.

I know these potential moves received a lot of fan-fare at the time. We were probably partially blinded by Canadian signings, but we honestly dodged a bullet by taking a pass on these guys.

narduch
09-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Cochrane sounded a lot like Anselmi during his interview during today's game. He said nothing of substance. Just bs platitudes that we've been hearing for years now.

reggie
09-15-2012, 09:55 PM
the coch and the drunk will run this club next season,god help us..:facepalm:

Rene Kingsriver
09-15-2012, 10:59 PM
All wiser, better informed people than us...

speak for yourself

London
09-16-2012, 08:14 AM
did you hear what cochrane said on tsn. He said they are 8 to 9 players away from making a good club. wtf, we have not had 8 to 9 decent players in 6 years of football, combined. There is not 1 player on this roster you can build around, not one. Forget silva, forget morgan, forget frei, forget odea, forget johnson. All our fringe to mediocore players who be fillers on decent mls teams. We need better leaderership and cochrane and mariner are not the answers.

the most important thing he said in this interview was "our goal is to be top 10 in the conference"

now how many teams are in the east????

mission accomplished

tfcleeds
09-16-2012, 09:02 AM
^Well, seeing as how they've already accomplished that objective by virtue of the number of the teams in the division, I guess ol' Earl can start prodding the board for a pay raise!!!

AL-MO
09-16-2012, 10:53 AM
He is a clown and is one of the people primarily responsible for wrecking this 'club'.

He should be shown the door like a few others.