PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Frings out for rest of season

DangerRed
09-05-2012, 02:12 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/09/torsten-frings-injury-update

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that Captain Torsten Frings will require arthroscopic surgery on his hip and will be out for the remainder of the 2012 season. It is expected that Frings will return for preseason.
Frings is in his second season with Toronto. In two seasons, he has started in 33 league matches, scoring two goals and adding three assists for Toronto FC.
Toronto FC will host the Chicago Fire on Wednesday, September 12 at BMO Field. Kick off is at 7 p.m.

reggie
09-05-2012, 02:20 PM
sure he is:rolleyes:

ag futbol
09-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I think it's probably an accurate headline minus every word after 'out'

Toronto_Bhoy
09-05-2012, 02:34 PM
How long does he have on his contract?

As I said last week, I fear we have seen the last of Herr Frings and even when he was signed here he was already a player with a tremendous amount of mileage. Over 550 games, most of which in a tough league, played in a "Wendall Clarke" style.

I gotta say, when I first saw him I was really impressed. His presence and leadership, especially without the ball, was incredible and why wouldn't I be? The Man has played consistently at the very highest level.

He'll be 35 when training camp rolls around next season, doubt he'll be back, why would he want to (I won't).

Thanks for coming Torsten, the pleasure was all ours.

rowjimi
09-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Not only may his body be wearing down his spirit for this franchise has to weigh heavily on him. So many changes and going backwards is not what he signed up for.
All the best in your recovery. Enjoyed watching you lead the team.

Whoop
09-05-2012, 02:48 PM
And to think one of the last images of Frings was that poorly produced video that TFC put together of him looking like a panhandler/busker.

bigredone
09-05-2012, 02:50 PM
When they introduced Frings and D.K. at the pointless Vancouver game 2 years ago I was filled with joy. Majority of the crowd did not even realize players were being introduced. Who would have thought they would both be gone so quickly......well I guess I have not been around long enough to see it coming.

Toronto_Bhoy
09-05-2012, 02:51 PM
And to think one of the last images of Frings was that poorly produced video that TFC put together of him looking like a panhandler/busker.

Shocking.

Auzzy
09-05-2012, 02:53 PM
So Mariner apparently already knew before the Santos game that Frings had a lingering hip issue? But then he doesn't sub him out, even when he was obviously tiring, Mariner never made his 3 subs, and Santos was subbing on new players/more speed? And then afterwards he complains about Frings' play, calling him out personally? Really classy dude that Paul Mariner guy, a real players' coach.

reggie
09-05-2012, 03:07 PM
i wouldnt be shocked if he told PM to f off,like the F O has never lied before,what a shit show.
Frings is all class and will be missed.
at least PM will be happy now,he can play his pets dunny and maund.

Pookie
09-05-2012, 03:11 PM
^ started all 6 matches in August. Played 491 of 540 minutes. Criticized him for diving in when he apparently knew he was injured.

Yep. Managed his injury well.

__wowza
09-05-2012, 03:20 PM
four years ago, this man was defending against the likes of:

- Cesc Fŕbregas
- Carles Puyol
- Andrés Iniesta
- Cristiano Ronaldo
- Deco

and now here we are..

[NBF]
09-05-2012, 03:51 PM
I didnt mind the Koevermans and Frings signings, they were positives signings, and Frings could play a Makelele type of role infront of the two centre backs.

This makes sense that he would take the rest of the season off and TFC would waive him during the offseason. He leaves without saying goodbye and doesn't have to make any retirement announcements. I will be counting on him getting anxious one day and dishing out the dirty laundry of TFC. It never goes away.

Wagner
09-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I am deeply saddened by this news.
Herr Frings was a big reason to go to BMO.
this sucks!!

ensco
09-05-2012, 05:36 PM
German tabloid culture for famous footballers is pretty relentless. Frings is a big deal. If there is more to this than just the injury story, it'll come out sooner than later.

narduch
09-05-2012, 05:38 PM
German tabloid culture for famous footballers is pretty relentless. Frings is a big deal. If there is more to this than just the injury story, it'll come out sooner than later.

I really think its no coincidence that TFC made this official one day after the Anselmi news.

Next up, season ticket renewals. I'm betting it will be released on Friday, when everyone has World Cup Qualifiers on their minds.

Auzzy
09-05-2012, 05:38 PM

I've already been checking news.google.de

I'll try to keep an eye on it.

Redcoe15
09-05-2012, 06:14 PM
I really think its no coincidence that TFC made this official one day after the Anselmi news.

Yup. Because it was more important to make a big deal of Turdbag Tom's promotion than it was to release the status of the team's classy captain. This is ML$E in action.

Brooker
09-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Yup. Because it was more important to make a big deal of Turdbag Tom's promotion than it was to release the status of the team's classy captain. This is ML$E in action.

How did they make a big deal out of it?

ensco
09-05-2012, 08:20 PM
How did they make a big deal out of it?

I think it's kind of obvious that what he means is that TFC appears to have known about this for days, but chose to put this news out in the wake of a massive corporate announcement (ie at a point when every last informed reporter in the city was busy elsewhere)

DaBandit
09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
So Mariner apparently already knew before the Santos game that Frings had a lingering hip issue? But then he doesn't sub him out, even when he was obviously tiring, Mariner never made his 3 subs, and Santos was subbing on new players/more speed? And then afterwards he complains about Frings' play, calling him out personally? Really classy dude that Paul Mariner guy, a real players' coach.

Well said, my thoughts exactly..

DaBandit
09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
I am deeply saddened by this news.
Herr Frings was a big reason to go to BMO.
this sucks!!

This sums it up for me as well.. :cryin:

Redcoe15
09-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I think it's kind of obvious that what he means is that TFC appears to have known about this for days, but chose to put this news out in the wake of a massive corporate announcement (ie at a point when every last informed reporter in the city was busy elsewhere)

What he said.

boozilla
09-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Anselmi promoted and Frings an after-thought.
Official rock bottom. You'd be a masochist to renew.

Brooker
09-06-2012, 02:59 AM

I'm still confused. How did they make it a big deal and a massive announcement? It was pretty low key as far as I can tell?

narduch
09-06-2012, 05:39 AM
I'm still confused. How did they make it a big deal and a massive announcement? It was pretty low key as far as I can tell?

The point was to bury the Frings news. They've know about Frings for days, but released the official announcement on the day most fans were still reeling from the Anselmi news.

denime
09-13-2012, 08:43 PM

It is more than injury,before Frings left he told Mariner to fuck off and that he is not coming back as long Mariner is with TFC.

Auzzy
09-13-2012, 08:59 PM
It is more than injury,before Frings left he told Mariner to fuck off and that he is not coming back as long Mariner is with TFC.

Where did you hear this (approximately)? It wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't seen anything mentioned on German news sites etc.

denime
09-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Where did you hear this (approximately)? It wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't seen anything mentioned on German news sites etc.

From TFC personnel,and one player agent who only was able to confirm Frings is not coming back as long Mariner is around.
I guess we will have to wait until next year to see if it's true.

Blizzard
09-13-2012, 09:44 PM
From TFC personnel,and one player agent who only was able to confirm Frings is not coming back as long Mariner is around.

I believe this 100%.

TFC07
09-13-2012, 09:49 PM

Hopefully MLSE (Rogers and Bell) are well aware of this incident when deciding to keep Mariner or not for next season.

Frings probably one of most professional soccer player out there. If a guy like Frings said that, then it carries a lot of weight to show how bad it is in TFC circle with Mariner running the show.

Blizzard
09-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Hopefully MLSE (Rogers and Bell) are well aware of this incident when deciding to keep Mariner or not for next season.

Frings probably one of most professional soccer player out there. If a guy like Frings said that, then it carries a lot of weight to show how bad it is in TFC circle with Mariner running the show.

Yup. The thing is, they're probably looking at that $2.4 million and saying to themselves, did it get us into the play-offs? I'd bet that they'd be happy to find a way of voiding the contract and putting that $2.4 million ... or whatever is left if they have some sort of settlement ... back into the MLSE pocket for the time being ... or perhaps get a different DP.

There's nobody at the top of this organization who knows enough about the game to tell Mariner anything. Anselmi appears to have put the ball in Mariner's court. I sure hope I'm wrong and somebody comes to their senses.

If only that had made Mariner only interim head coach making it easier to move him back upstairs .... or at least away from the field .... in favour of a qualified and experienced manager/coach.

boozilla
09-13-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm feel bad for Torsten. He was persuaded by Klinsman to play out his twilight years as an "American adventure".
He came and played here through injury pain, changing coaches and rosters.
Throughout, he remained a pro, without complaining or fake-signing checks.
We didn't deserve him.

asterix606
09-14-2012, 12:36 AM
I'm feel bad for Torsten. He was persuaded by Klinsman to play out his twilight years as an "American adventure".
We didn't deserve him.

Damn, why don't you call him Saint Frings!

Yeah, not complaining, I guess that's what 2.5 Million $ will do to you!

Rather protect my boy DeRo.

TFC did not deserve Dero.

Shakes McQueen
09-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Yeah, not complaining, I guess that's what 2.5 Million $ will do to you!

That's what having 10 times the professional pedigree and resume will get you.

- Scott

Richard
09-14-2012, 01:15 AM
While i dont doubt what has been said by Denime i find it hard to believe.

A player deciding to not play for a coach no matter how just is grounds for termination and could be fined by the club(See Tevez). There arnt that many people who would turn down another 2+million, maybe Frings is at point where he wants to coach the youth at Werder Bremen sooner than later.

Auzzy
09-14-2012, 03:20 AM
While i dont doubt what has been said by Denime i find it hard to believe.

A player deciding to not play for a coach no matter how just is grounds for termination and could be fined by the club(See Tevez). There arnt that many people who would turn down another 2+million, maybe Frings is at point where he wants to coach the youth at Werder Bremen sooner than later.

Well, there was a hip injury involved, so that presents a way out of sorts. Apparently this was a nagging injury that had been dragging on for a while. So if Frings was fed up with Mariner, he could officially say: I can't take the pain anymore, I need this treated now and then recuperate. Even if he in-officially also told Mariner to F Off. And maybe Mariner isn't so unhappy if Frings is gone. I thought it was weird that he called out only Frings after his last game, if he was in fact playing injured, and considering many other players also didn't play well.

Just a wild guess of course. We shall see.

narduch
09-14-2012, 08:03 AM
We didn't deserve him.

What a load of bullshit.

One of the worst decisions this club ever made was trading De Rosario.

Its too bad too many fans sided with the idiots in our FO, and not our best player ever.

TFC07
09-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Yup. The thing is, they're probably looking at that $2.4 million and saying to themselves, did it get us into the play-offs? I'd bet that they'd be happy to find a way of voiding the contract and putting that $2.4 million ... or whatever is left if they have some sort of settlement ... back into the MLSE pocket for the time being ... or perhaps get a different DP.

There's nobody at the top of this organization who knows enough about the game to tell Mariner anything. Anselmi appears to have put the ball in Mariner's court. I sure hope I'm wrong and somebody comes to their senses.

If only that had made Mariner only interim head coach making it easier to move him back upstairs .... or at least away from the field .... in favour of a qualified and experienced manager/coach.

That is sad reality we Toronto sports fans have to live with.

ryan
09-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Oh just another day of reading these boards and wanting to throw myself off a cliff to never have to deal with MLSE again.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ageroo
09-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Well Denime's news doesn't surprise me...Frings has been made ineffective under Mariner's so called "system"....so not a surprise to me that he doesn't want to play for him.....question is...how many other players feel the same?

maninb
09-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Why would anyone (especially a skill midfielder) want to play for a know-nothing idiot like PM who wants the ball punted from the back to the forwards, completely by-passing the midfield, on every possession....

ag futbol
09-14-2012, 09:23 AM
That's what having 10 times the professional pedigree and resume will get you.

- Scott
Well I think both players have their reasons for doing what they did. Common denominator being the TFC's dysfunction.

That being said, based on their performance in MLS, I'll tell you who I'd rather pay 2.5M dollars to, and it's not the answer you'll like.

reggie
09-14-2012, 09:26 AM
what a train wreck,if pm and ec are still with the club at seasons end i will not renew no matter what kind of discount they give.

Beach_Red
09-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Well I think both players have their reasons for doing what they did. Common denominator being the TFC's dysfunction.

That being said, based on their performance in MLS, I'll tell you who I'd rather pay 2.5M dollars to, and it's not the answer you'll like.

Yes, I think you're right, they key is TFC's dysfunction. And also Frings can just say, 'screw it' and go home, he has no connection here and doesn't care what happens to soccer here.

And, frankly, this is a deeper issue in Canada - in many, many fields we value foreign talent far more than homegrown (I work in the TV business and I see this everyday).

brad
09-14-2012, 09:54 AM
What a load of bullshit.

Its too bad too many fans sided with the idiots in our FO, and not our best player ever.

Selling him was a huge mistake.

However, that does not change the fact that they way DeRo handled it was classless and disrespectful.

v00d00daddy
09-14-2012, 12:54 PM
What a load of bullshit.

TFC best player ever doesn't really mean much. (even though I don't agree that he was)

I never liked Deros game. I was very excited when I first heard he was coming to TFC but watching him game in and game out it became very clear why he never made it out of North America.

I fell out of love with him long before the cheque signing.

I dont miss him one bit.

Fort York Redcoat
09-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Frings. Let's stay on topic, please.

Dreadlocks
09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Selling him was a huge mistake.

However, that does not change the fact that they way DeRo handled it was classless and disrespectful.

....and refusing to play for a coach is not? (if he did in fact say this)

Listen, at the end of the day, MLSE is the classes, disrespectful one. Both Dero and Frings have never had any issues with their teams in the past (that I'm aware of) until they came here. Because of the gong show upstairs, one said, "show me the $$" and the other apparently said, "I'm outie!". Neither approach is right but I will say (and I don't want too start a Dero debate) at least Dero NEVER refused to play.

If no other player ever wants to play for this club, I'll totally understand.

C.Ronaldo
09-14-2012, 01:13 PM
What a load of bullshit.

everyone fails to realise DC gave him what he deserved while TFC FO treated him like shit.
We never deserved Dero.....and at this pace TFC fans never will either

golaso.gol
09-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Well Denime's news doesn't surprise me...Frings has been made ineffective under Mariner's so called "system"....so not a surprise to me that he doesn't want to play for him.....question is...how many other players feel the same?

I'd say many players "love" Mariner.....he has made starters out of guys who at best would be reserve team players on other teams

Beach_Red
09-14-2012, 01:46 PM
TFC best player ever doesn't really mean much. (even though I don't agree that he was)

I never liked Deros game. I was very excited when I first heard he was coming to TFC but watching him game in and game out it became very clear why he never made it out of North America.

I fell out of love with him long before the cheque signing.

I dont miss him one bit.

His play is really beside the point (the fact that he actually wanted to win games might be more important, but even that isn't really the point). This organization knows very well that the players don't matter - DeRo, Frings, Dichio, whoever - it doesn't matter, some fans will side with the team and some with the player but there will always be more players.

Carts
09-14-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm sure making Frings stand in Union station looking like a tool didn't help...
What a creative failure that was...

Shakes McQueen
09-14-2012, 06:00 PM

In hindsight, yes. My point was simply that Frings' professional resume gives him far more leverage to demand that kind of money from any team.

I don't think there's any question as to who has earned their money more.

- Scott

denime
09-14-2012, 06:05 PM

Few to many I would say,once season is finished we will see players exodus/trades(trades wont be easy because no one wants to come here),the one they leave are the ones that don't like playing for jumping monkey.

prizby
09-14-2012, 11:12 PM

is this stuff for real or is someone just yanking peoples chains

Blizzard
09-15-2012, 10:35 PM
I've not seen this posted (forgive me if this is a repeat) .... On Sept. 10, Frings posted the following on his Facebook page:

Hi, the operation has well done – everything is fine. Now another 2 weeks on crutches and then it immediately goes in the rehab.
Torsten

Yohan
10-08-2012, 09:51 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/derozan-leads-raptors-to-preseason-win-over-real-madrid/article4597450/

Apparently he was at the Raps game tonight

DoubleUp
10-09-2012, 01:54 AM
What a load of bullshit.

Its true! "It was over the top" what he did but Dero is a home town guy that has done more for soccer in this country than anybody in TFC thus far. He should of been backed against the same FO everybody has grown to hate, but instead we literally turned our back on our own(Toronto), while heralding transplants and fair-weather hero's.

Honestly there's a certain element within the supports of this club that have really played part with the FO to severely damage this club with Hyper-sensitive logic and archaic football principals.

People always like whats "familiar", but I like to be familiar with winning and winning football.

Fort York Redcoat
10-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Frings. This thread is about Frings and the present. Glad he's back in town. He clearly likes it here. Let's hope he can play.

Petor
10-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Frings. This thread is about Frings and the present. Glad he's back in town. He clearly likes it here. Let's hope he can play.

I have a bad feeling about this.
Frings is a classy guy, classy enough to say goodbye in person.
I hope that I am wrong.

ensco
10-09-2012, 07:05 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/derozan-leads-raptors-to-preseason-win-over-real-madrid/article4597450/

Now he can die in peace. He saw Toronto beat Real Madrid.

narduch
10-09-2012, 07:10 AM
I have a bad feeling about this.
Frings is a classy guy, classy enough to say goodbye in person.
I hope that I am wrong.

I think he was summoned back to help sell season tickets.

ensco
10-09-2012, 07:32 AM
I think he was summoned back to help sell season tickets.

Maybe they can come up with a neat idea for a promo video that involves him sleeping on cardboard boxes at the bus terminal.

narduch
10-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Maybe they can come up with a neat idea for a promo video that involves him sleeping on cardboard boxes at the bus terminal.

They will probably have Koevermans and Frings calling non-renewers and begging them to come back.

Mariner can't be used because he would just call us all fucking idiots.

__wowza
10-09-2012, 07:59 AM

i was there, he looked disinterested and spent most of the game turned on his side chatting with people.

on another note.. ye gods.. if that was his wife he was sitting with.. :drool5:
he mentioned that one of the reasons he came here was because he could live a normal life without fans running up to him and harassing him, then he's found a good thing here, didn't see one person approach him. even after they put him up on the screen and announced that he was in attendance. i hope he enjoys the free slice we won last night.

[NBF]
10-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Save us Obi Frings, you're our only hope.

http://www.dayid.org/images/Funny/Geeky/box-transformer.m.gif