PDA

View Full Version : ML$E's *new* board of directors & CEO

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 12:52 PM
ML$E has unveiled their new board of directors it includes some very interesting choices:

http://www.mlse.com/inside_mlse/board_of_directors.aspx

LARRY TENENBAUM (Chair) - he gets here by virtue of being one of the 3 shareholders of ML$E, and was no surprise. he also is a neutral party between Bell and Rogers.

DALE LASTMAN - another neutral party, he is the lawyer on the board (every major board needs one). He is also partner and co-chair of Goodmans LLP. He is on all kinds of boards.

NADIR MOHAMED - Rogers CEO, he is an accountant by background. he is reportedly a very smart guy.

GEORGE A COPE - Bell's CEO, he holds a business degree.

EDWARD ROGERS III - Rogers Vice-CEO, he handles strategic planning, mergers and acquisitions

MARY ANN TURCKE - the most surprising choice, she is a civil engineer who has worked for the MTO and several railroads, and also spent some time being an executive with some software/outsourcing firms. Now she leads Bell's services to small and medium businesses.

The Bell and Rogers appointees are very smart people who have gone far in business. What's missing? Someone who knows anything directly about sports.

Canary10
09-04-2012, 12:57 PM
ML$E has unveiled their new board of directors it includes some very interesting choices:

LARRY TENENBAUM (Chair) - he gets here by virtue of being one of the 3 shareholders of ML$E, and was no surprise. he also is a neutral party between Bell and Rogers.

DALE LASTMAN - another neutral party, he is the lawyer on the board (every major board needs one). He is also partner and co-chair of Goodmans LLP. He is on all kinds of boards.

NADIR MOHAMED - Rogers CEO, he is an accountant by background. he is reportedly a very smart guy.

EDWARD ROGERS III - Rogers Vice-CEO, he handles strategic planning, mergers and acquisitions

MARY ANN TURCKE - the most surprising choice, she is a civil engineer who has worked for the MTO and several railroads, and also spent some time being an executive with some software/outsourcing firms. Now she leads Bell's services to small and medium businesses.

The Bell and Rogers appointees are very smart people who have gone far in business. What's missing? Someone who knows anything directly about sports.

Was that released today Oldtimer?

Pookie
09-04-2012, 01:03 PM
In fairness though, are you really going to get someone with enough knowledge to be helpful in all 3 sports? Tannenbaum has a sports media company doesn't he?

Shakes McQueen
09-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I didn't really expect direct "sports people" to be named to their Board of Directors.

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
09-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have knowledge in any of the sports involved?

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Was that released today Oldtimer?

Dunno when, probably today, it quietly went up on their website without much notice.

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I didn't really expect direct "sports people" to be named to their Board of Directors.

- Scott

They don't need to be sports people. Either they should understand the sports industry, or be smart enough to appoint someone good who does.

The good side is that Bogers cares enough about ML$E to put top people on the board.

Initial B
09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm most interested in Mary Ann Turcke - female engineers have it harder clumb up the corporate ladder than most. She must be very competent. I have a feeling she'll be the one to watch out for.

Shakes McQueen
09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have knowledge in any of the sports involved?

Some of them do have sports knowledge (Tanenbaum is a big basketball fan reportedly), but it isn't shocking at all that they haven't named specific sports people to their corporation's Board of Directors. That isn't really what the corporate board is for, particularly when you consider that their "portfolio" consists of far more than just their sports teams.

All I care about is whether they are smart enough to leave the sports decisions to good sports people.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
They don't need to be sports people. Either they should understand the sports industry, or be smart enough to appoint someone good who does.

The good side is that Bogers cares enough about ML$E to put top people on the board.

Well, Nadir and LT certainly have a pretty good working knowledge of the sports industry. Can't speak much for the rest, though Bell obviously also own TSN.

- Scott

Suds
09-04-2012, 01:18 PM

The Board's activities as stipulated in the company bylaws are more important to me than the people on it. For example, most boards are generally tasked with hiring the CEO, mergers, acquisitions, etc. They are not generally involved in the day-to-day business dealings. That is the job of the CEO and their team. I'd be very interested to know what decisions this group would be involved in. With MLSE being sports business, the activities of the board could be quite different than that of a traditional corporation.

What will be interesting is if this board shifts its focus from solely on profits to a philosophy that must include winning titles/championships along with profit. In other words, if we hire a CEO, it's not enough for that CEO to just make shareholders profit. We want profit and wins. Fail on that account and you're gone for someone who can. Maybe not at the CEO level, but that could be brought down to the Presidents of each one of the sports enterprises.

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm most interested in Mary Ann Turcke - female engineers have it harder clumb up the corporate ladder than most. She must be very competent. I have a feeling she'll be the one to watch out for.

Me too, especially as she is more junior than anyone else on the board. It raises the question: Did she have some special quality that led to her appointment? (My unrealistic dream is that she is a rabid TFC fan who's biggest dream is to have us win the MLS Cup and the CCL, and George Cope added her for that reason :D).

Canary10
09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Just saw it tweeted that Anslemi was named COO of MLSE. Sounds like a big job that won't leave him enough time to be President of TFC.

Ageroo
09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
ugggh...... :(

http://www.mlse.com/news/anselmi_090412.aspx

Ageroo
09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Just saw it tweeted that Anslemi was named COO of MLSE. Sounds like a big job that won't leave him enough time to be President of TFC.

One can only hope.....let's hope they keep him away from TFC......at least more distant.

Carts
09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
TOM ANSELMI APPOINTED PRESIDENT AND COO
OF MAPLE LEAF SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Larry Tanenbaum, Chairman of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) announced Tuesday that Tom Anselmi has been appointed President and Chief Operating Officer of MLSE, effective immediately.

“Tom’s proven strength in operations has made him a respected leader here at MLSE and across the sports and entertainment industry,” said Tanenbaum. “His passion for our teams and our fans makes Tom the perfect choice as President and COO of this great organization.”

In his new role, Anselmi oversees all MLSE operations, and reports in the interim to the MLSE Board through the Chair.

“I'm honoured to be appointed President and COO of one of the premier sports and entertainment organizations in the world,” said Anselmi. “The opportunities for MLSE are limitless, and it all starts with a focus on building winning teams, strengthening our relationship with fans, and enhancing our positive impact in the community.

Canary10
09-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I'd suggest it's a good thing. He's unlikely to be involved in TFC's direct running. They'll have to hire someone most likely.

Ageroo
09-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd suggest it's a good thing. He's unlikely to be involved in TFC's direct running. They'll have to hire someone most likely.

Most likely is something that TFC tends to shy away from......

Ageroo
09-04-2012, 01:47 PM
What other responsibilities did Anselmi have other than TFC?

I mean they promote who has failed? (Unless he was extremely successful in other endeavors in conjunction with TFC.)

I thought he had hands in the condo development...but I could be wrong.

daner90
09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Wow how do you promote someone who has basically helped killed TFC with his incompetence in hiring GM/Coaches. This is unbelievable.

Fort York Redcoat
09-04-2012, 01:50 PM

I mean they promote who has failed? (Unless he was extremely successful in other endeavors in conjunction with TFC.)

Wasn't he fail-ING? He han't failed. TFC was still turning a profit albeit a marginal one but it you compare that with league standard = success.

But I'm not trying to say I enjoy the fact that the overlords have such terrible standards...

Canary10
09-04-2012, 01:50 PM

I don't know that you can say he failed. He succeeded in most ways that count to a company running a sports business. He got the team up and running when most said soccer couldn't succeed in Toronto. Was part of getting the stadium build. Got the academy and training facility built. Has one of the biggest fan bases in MLS (for now at least). Arguably he did a lot of good.

Where he failed obviously was on the pitch. Hopefully he relinquished that control with this move and let's some new thinking in that can better deal with the team's on-field success.

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Anselmi getting the job means ML$E status quo. Too bad. I can't see him staying too involved in TFC though, but whether he appoints someone competent, or maybe makes Jim Brennan President is yet to be seen.

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 02:01 PM
“I'm honoured to be appointed President and COO of one of the premier sports and entertainment organizations in the world,” said Anselmi. “The opportunities for MLSE are limitless, and it all starts with a focus on building winning teams, strengthening our relationship with fans, and enhancing our positive impact in the community.

:lol: like Tom knows how to do any of that?

Beach_Red
09-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Initially TFC was looked as the standard of how to build an expansion franchise, especially off the field.

But right now TFC is being used as the standard of how not to run a franchise.

But really, TFC was an example of someone being born on third base and thinking they hit a triple. They really did almost nothing right, it just took a few years to show up.

Detroit_TFC
09-04-2012, 02:03 PM
We don't want the board to run the teams on a day to day basis. They need to hire team presidents charged with the responsibility of building successful (in both the commercial and competitive senses) teams. If this board chooses not to do that, and instead TA tries to run everything from his desk as COO, things might not ever improve.

Shakes McQueen
09-04-2012, 02:05 PM
If that was the case then I can see why.

I knew Anselmi was the next in line. But if his major portfolio was TFC, oh boy.

I'm pretty sure Anselmi has been the COO of MLSE all along - they are just making him President now too. Almost positive McCown has introduced him as the COO of MLSE on his show more than once.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
09-04-2012, 02:05 PM
But really, TFC was an example of someone being born on third base and thinking they hit a triple. They really did almost nothing right, it just took a few years to show up.

Pretty much.

- Scott

TFC Tifoso
09-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Anselmi has been the COO of MLSE all along - they are just making him President now too. Almost positive McCown has introduced him as the COO of MLSE on his show more than once.

- Scott

you are correct.......

ryan
09-04-2012, 02:10 PM

- Scott

That's how it's written in the TSN article, references how he was the VP and COO right after saying he's now the Pres and COO.

Regardless, we better see someone else on top of the TFC pyramid or we're straight fucked to infinity and beyond.

Canary10
09-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Is Brennan a serious candidate or was that someone's joke?

Phil
09-04-2012, 02:18 PM
I think its a joke based off of his promotion to assitant coach.

Well Up and Away for Tommy boy (away from TFC I hope).

Canary10
09-04-2012, 02:20 PM
^ Around TFC you never know...did you hear the one about Torsten Frings' season ending hip injury?

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 02:22 PM
^ Around TFC you never know...did you hear the one about Torsten Frings' season ending hip injury?

... or that Danny Dichio's too weak to travel by plane?

How about DeRo not telling the club about Celtic?

.... and yes, the Jimmy B reference was a joke.

ag futbol
09-04-2012, 02:29 PM
:lol: like Tom knows how to do any of that?
Tell me about it. These guys stumbled into a hot market and did a good initial lunch, but they've shit the bed on just about everything else.

As far as winning goes, they could not be more of a joke.

Canary10
09-04-2012, 02:30 PM
... or that Danny Dichio's too weak to travel by plane?

How about DeRo not telling the club about Celtic?

.... and yes, the Jimmy B reference was a joke.

And Joao Plata is still with this team.

Glad it's a joke....just hope it's not on us all!!

Canary10
09-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Yikes. This is the Toronto Star's main headline (spelling mistake and all):

IN THE NEWS
This is the new man in charge if bringing a Stanley Cup to Toronto (http://redpatchboys.ca/sports/leafs/article/1251015--tom-anselmi-is-appointed-new-mlse-president)

http://i.thestar.com/images/19/11/62b89cda4ee099b8c5c136d5f9fe.jpg (http://redpatchboys.ca/sports/leafs/article/1251015--tom-anselmi-is-appointed-new-mlse-president)

(He's telling reporters how close TFC are to winning the Club World Cup).

Batman
09-04-2012, 02:38 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img14/4255/anselmi.jpg

"We were THIS CLOSE to winning a game this year!

So of course I'm the man for the job."

Batman
09-04-2012, 02:40 PM
ah damn. Canary.. we thought the exact same thing at the same time..
but you beat me to the punch.

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 02:41 PM
It looks like he's more discussing his fishing trip and the "one that got away." :lol:

Batman
09-04-2012, 02:41 PM
or something else...

Canary10
09-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Maybe he's saying how long he wants Mariner's hair to get.

I think a caption contest is in order.

Yohan
09-04-2012, 02:52 PM

this is now a caption contest

"I swear the turd I shat this morning was thiiiiis big!"

TearsForCheers
09-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Yikes. This is the Toronto Star's main headline (spelling mistake and all):

IN THE NEWS
This is the new man in charge if bringing a Stanley Cup to Toronto (http://redpatchboys.ca/sports/leafs/article/1251015--tom-anselmi-is-appointed-new-mlse-president)

http://i.thestar.com/images/19/11/62b89cda4ee099b8c5c136d5f9fe.jpg (http://redpatchboys.ca/sports/leafs/article/1251015--tom-anselmi-is-appointed-new-mlse-president)

(He's telling reporters how close TFC are to winning the Club World Cup).

So when Paul M said "minor tweeks", this is what he was talking about...

Pookie
09-04-2012, 03:03 PM
http://i.thestar.com/images/19/11/62b89cda4ee099b8c5c136d5f9fe.jpg
(http://redpatchboys.ca/sports/leafs/article/1251015--tom-anselmi-is-appointed-new-mlse-president)
If you are sarcastically happy and you know it, slow clap your hands
clap
clap
if you are sarcastically happy and you know it, slow clap your hands

OgtheDim
09-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Hmmm..........darn...........Mariner here until the middle of next season.

Maybe a playoff team in 2014, if we get lucky with the new President of TFC.

If its Cochrane who gets that position, we are talking a playoff team in 2017.

Pretty scary IF the board promotes the current TFC team.

__wowza
09-04-2012, 03:12 PM
http://cdn0.hark.com/images/000/003/155/3155/original.jpg

(http://redpatchboys.ca/sports/leafs/article/1251015--tom-anselmi-is-appointed-new-mlse-president)http://i.thestar.com/images/19/11/62b89cda4ee099b8c5c136d5f9fe.jpg (http://redpatchboys.ca/sports/leafs/article/1251015--tom-anselmi-is-appointed-new-mlse-president)
(http://redpatchboys.ca/sports/leafs/article/1251015--tom-anselmi-is-appointed-new-mlse-president)

TFC07
09-04-2012, 03:19 PM
So this is good news or bad news?

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Both.

Good, he'll be too busy to meddle with TFC.

Bad, he'll probably mismanage everything at the executive level.

Pookie
09-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Potentially could be good news.

Anselmi was COO before and that tag stays the same. That role typically would set budgets and oversee operational efficiencies within each of its business units. He performed this role for TFC, Leafs and Raptors.

However, my understanding is that he had no power into how the Leafs or Raptors were run as sports teams. When Richard Peddie stepped aside and created the President and GM role for Burke and Colangelo, he left a striaght line into the board. Burke took the budget and hired his own guys without Peddie/Anselmi's approval. He hires and fires his coaches. If he needs extra money he needs Board approval for it... not Anselmi's. Something John Ferguson Jr never had.

Given the title change from VP to President would seemingly indicate to me that all VPs are now reporting to him... NOT Burke and Colangelo. Guys like Ian Clarke and Robert Hunter. My guess is that he will oversee things like venues, tickets, partnerships, business development, broadcasting, live entertainment, etc. The sports teams themselves (except TFC at this stage) have their own Presidents. They will use MLSE infrastructure but again have autonomy over the sports decisions related to their teams (Drafts, trades, etc).

If TFC comes out and searches for their own President and this is the structure... this could be about as good as it gets.

DangerRed
09-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Wanna bet Paul B gets promoted?

TearsForCheers
09-04-2012, 03:33 PM

I view it as bad. People think he'll be more removed from TFC, but the problem is Tom will have responsibility for appointing someone to head up the TFC operation in his place. What is the one area where Tom has made the most damaging decisions over his time with TFC? Hiring. He has made decisions with respect to 7 coaches, whether those decisions were to hire, fire or extend, and I don't see too many good decisions in there. So there's nothing to make me feel good about him appointing his replacement.

Redcoe15
09-04-2012, 03:41 PM
C'mon now, everyone knows it has to be said:

This is how big my penis is! *
*A big lie, like everything else about Anselmi

Beach_Red
09-04-2012, 03:49 PM

Anselmi was COO before and that tag stays the same. That role typically would set budgets and oversee operational efficiencies within each of its business units. He performed this role for TFC, Leafs and Raptors.

However, my understanding is that he had no power into how the Leafs or Raptors were run as sports teams. When Richard Peddie stepped aside and created the President and GM role for Burke and Colangelo, he left a striaght line into the board. Burke took the budget and hired his own guys without Peddie/Anselmi's approval. He hires and fires his coaches. If he needs extra money he needs Board approval for it... not Anselmi's. Something John Ferguson Jr never had.

Given the title change from VP to President would seemingly indicate to me that all VPs are now reporting to him... NOT Burke and Colangelo. Guys like Ian Clarke and Robert Hunter. My guess is that he will oversee things like venues, tickets, partnerships, business development, broadcasting, live entertainment, etc. The sports teams themselves (except TFC at this stage) have their own Presidents. They will use MLSE infrastructure but again have autonomy over the sports decisions related to their teams (Drafts, trades, etc).

If TFC comes out and searches for their own President and this is the structure... this could be about as good as it gets.

This may have been a factor for the way Burke always seems to act more like an owner than a GM, always worried about the "state of the league" more than the state of his team. In his case it doesn't seem to be a system that works. It may be different for Colangelo, I don't know.

The potential problem for TFC is that "the budget" isn't a single thing - there's the operating budget and then the DP signings which have so far needed board approval. Or not, it's hard to get a straight story out of these guys. But it is possible to see Anselmi handing over a budget to a president/GM but not including the DP money in it. Will TFC need to sell a certain amount of season tickets (or sell a player like Edu) in order to get approval for a DP signing?

But maybe the best thing to come out of this will be that TFC coaches won't have to make presentations to the board on game day, as Winter did. That really doesn't seem like something that should be in a coach's job description.

Redcoe15
09-04-2012, 03:53 PM
As for my opinion on Anselmi getting the top job:

FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! BULLSHIT! FUCK! FUCK!

But deep down, were we not surprised by this decision?Now say hello to the new men in charge of Toronto FC: Paul Bernie and Earl Cochrane!

Jesus Fucking Christ, but ML$E is a fucking retarded group of pigfuckers! A legacy and tradition of selfish incompetence continues!

How 'bout a new Scumbag Steve meme for the new asswipe president of ML$E?!!

Shakes McQueen
09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
This may have been a factor for the way Burke always seems to act more like an owner than a GM, always worried about the "state of the league" more than the state of his team. In his case it doesn't seem to be a system that works. It may be different for Colangelo, I don't know.

The potential problem for TFC is that "the budget" isn't a single thing - there's the operating budget and then the DP signings which have so far needed board approval. Or not, it's hard to get a straight story out of these guys. But it is possible to see Anselmi handing over a budget to a president/GM but not including the DP money in it. Will TFC need to sell a certain amount of season tickets (or sell a player like Edu) in order to get approval for a DP signing?

But maybe the best thing to come out of this will be that TFC coaches won't have to make presentations to the board on game day, as Winter did. That really doesn't seem like something that should be in a coach's job description.

I think Burke's concern for the "state of the league" has more to do with Burke's ego, and his status as an "old guard insider", than any perceived role with the Maple Leafs. He has always enjoyed blathering on at length about his "guiding principles" and whatnot.

- Scott

Suds
09-04-2012, 03:58 PM

This is how big the tube of lube we're gonna need when we announce this year's season seat holder packages. g:D

Batman
09-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Now that we have a contest I'll stand by my original.

Suds
09-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Tom Anselmi now on AM 590 Prime Time Sports discussing appointment.

Suds
09-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Same statements
- winning cures most problems

In other words, fans only feel screwed because the teams are not winning. Nothing to do with price gouging, bullshit security, poor customer service, etc. As long as we win, we can continue to pretend these are not issues and ignore our customers.

Redcoe15
09-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Here's a Scumbag Steve meme for the asswipe:

ALLOWS HIS EGO AND INCOMPETENCE TO DESTROY A GAME CHANGING MLS SOCCER TEAM,

PROMOTED TO PRESIDENT OF MLSE!

Have at it!

Shakes McQueen
09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Same statements
- winning cures most problems

In other words, fans only feel screwed because the teams are not winning. Nothing to do with price gouging, bullshit security, poor customer service, etc. As long as we win, we can continue to pretend these are not issues and ignore our customers.

You can take it however you like, but it's a more or less true statement. If the team was winning MLS Cups, we would care far, far less about paying the highest ticket prices in the league, or $50 for a thimble of beer.

It's when the product is poor that fans start to look around at the tertiary aspects of the experience, and get angry.

- Scott

Suds
09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
TA - Says winning is now priority one.

He is now being taken to task as to why he can make MLSE a winner when he lead TFC an it has never been a winner?

TA - Sports is cyclical.

So, basically, same old sound bites.

ag futbol
09-04-2012, 04:14 PM

He is now being taken to task as to why he can make MLSE a winner when he lead TFC an it has never been a winner?

TA - Sports is cyclical.

So, basically, same old sound bites.
Wow, I can't wait to see the other side of this "cycle" we've been in.

C.Ronaldo
09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
apparently I (us customers) look like a complete idiot to MLSE

Redcoe15
09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
And who's responsible for the team becoming the miserable fucking joke that it is? The asswipe that got promoted to president of ML$E, THAT'S WHO!!!

Nothing good will ever happen to the teams that are run by this chickenshit outfit!

C.Ronaldo
09-04-2012, 04:17 PM

otherside of 2 wins is 4......you will be blown away

Suds
09-04-2012, 04:19 PM
You can take it however you like, but it's a more or less true statement. If the team was winning MLS Cups, we would care far, far less about paying the highest ticket prices in the league, or $50 for a thimble of beer.

It's when the product is poor that fans start to look around at the tertiary aspects of the experience, and get angry.

- Scott

I agree there is some truth to the statement. But I feel many fans would still feel this way even if they were winning. Fans have not been treated as valued customers for the most part. And the fact he makes that statement says he/MLSE is not interested in getting the small things right. That is a poor way to approach your business.

Shakes McQueen
09-04-2012, 04:20 PM

TFC, in a surprise move, will be admitted to the UEFA Champions League, and beat Barcelona 82-0 in the final.

Then it's back to a decade of losing 1-0 to Backwater USA FC

- Scott

Redcoe15
09-04-2012, 04:22 PM
If by winning he means fistfucking the fans as deep as his arm can go, then yeah he can do that. He's a fucking expert at that!

Sports is cynical
Fixed his words to accuratly describe his M.O.

Suds
09-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Asked about Leafs, Raptors TV, media etc.

TA - They are very important to MLSE and he does not see them going anywhere soon.

Not much else talked about.

Yohan
09-04-2012, 04:24 PM
I agree there is some truth to the statement. But I feel many fans would still feel this way even if they were winning. Fans have not been treated as valued customers for the most part. And the fact he makes that statement says he/MLSE is not interested in getting the small things right. That is a poor way to approach your business.
yeah. fuck this. I now officially want TFC to go down to Columbus and New England level in attendance. Pain is the nature's way of saying you fucked up, and MLSE needs to learn a lesson in how hard it is to attract, and more importantly, keep a paying customer happy. And this might actually happen too, considering next year is pretty much another 'rebuilding year', and I highly doubt there will be a massive price reduction.

I am sick of being taken for granted, and being thought of as a drone and a sheep.

Shakes McQueen
09-04-2012, 04:25 PM

I think you're overanalyzing a statement that was just meant to be conciliatory pablum to their paying fans - we care about winning. Winning winning winning. It's all about winning. We need to win.

None of their teams are winning right now. It's all anyone talks about.

His interview on PTS just seemed like the bog-standard dreck everyone says. I wouldn't put much stock in any of it.

- Scott

Beach_Red
09-04-2012, 04:26 PM
I think Burke's concern for the "state of the league" has more to do with Burke's ego, and his status as an "old guard insider", than any perceived role with the Maple Leafs. He has always enjoyed blathering on at length about his "guiding principles" and whatnot.

- Scott

You're right he's always enjoyed blathering on at length. I can't help but think, though, that by making him the president as well as GM his blathering became part of his job description (maybe he perceived it that way anyway).

But it might have helped to have those two positions seperated - of course, it means they'd have to make two good hires and they haven't been that good at even one good hire, but that may be what's necessary to be better than the other teams they play against.

DoubleUp
09-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Anselmi really needs to make amends, and do his very best to get it right for TFC. No more shit sandwiches!.

jloome
09-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Wow how do you promote someone who has basically helped killed TFC with his incompetence in hiring GM/Coaches. This is unbelievable.

Community belief is a fickle bitch sometimes.

It's not even remotely surprising: as I said, when a group has the gold, it makes the rules because it thinks IT is the value that produced the gold. That behavioural code helps protect the makeup of the group from outside intrusions. It's a pack mentality thing.

Even those who understand and avoid groupthink sometimes use it to their advantage; Tanenbaum may realize that Anselmi is a great backslapper and a hell of a martini lunch, and even has good golf course jokes -- but shouldn't actually be doing any more thinking than signing off on smarter people's ideas.

Or, he could be as bad as Anselmi. I've known at least one other construction magnate, and it's such a "relationships" industry that it's eminently open to graft, corruption and stupidity, and doesn't require the person running it to have any significant level of social intelligence or open-mindedness.

We shall see which we get, I suppose, by how he insulates the divisions from Tom.

Curious to hear Ensco on this.

Suds
09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/09/04/tom_anselmi_pts/

Recording of interview now up.

[NBF]
09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Im not as good as WOWZA, but im stepping it up. What you got Wowza?

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/8232/mattselmi.jpg

MLSE has to learn how to seperate the real men from the "stood fish."

Pookie
09-04-2012, 05:04 PM

If TFC comes out and searches for their own President and this is the structure... this could be about as good as it gets.scratch everything I just said. Anselmi confirmed on air that Burke and Colangelo now report to him.. Sigh

Richard
09-04-2012, 05:06 PM
So is it status quo or what?

nonc
09-04-2012, 05:30 PM
yeah. fuck this. I now officially want TFC to go down to Columbus and New England level in attendance. Pain is the nature's way of saying you fucked up, and MLSE needs to learn a lesson in how hard it is to attract, and more importantly, keep a paying customer happy. And this might actually happen too, considering next year is pretty much another 'rebuilding year', and I highly doubt there will be a massive price reduction.

I am sick of being taken for granted, and being thought of as a drone and a sheep.

this exactly. i actually wish more season holders couldn't care less about renewing, but i guess passions die hard and some people feel guilty about it. attendance dropping so long as the product remains crap can only be a good thing though..MLSE will definitely notice the lack of pocket change once they average 11-12k instead of 18-19k for the better part of an entire season. fans will never embarrass MLSE into action but money might.

Blowing Bubbles
09-04-2012, 06:14 PM
The only cool thing about today is that there's an engineer on the new board. ertw obv.

scratch everything I just said. Anselmi confirmed on air that Burke and Colangelo now report to him.. Sigh

I predict this isn't going to go over well. You can definitely make a case for Colangelo being a failure, but still, he's got a big reputation in basketball and there's no way he's going to take orders from a stiff in a suit, especially if he sizes up Anselmi as being incompetent. Colangelo is an Ivy Leaguer himself and he's always been heavily involved in the business side of things when he was in Phoenix. If he doesn't like the setup he'll just fuck off elsewhere - the guys is pretty much made for the commish job when Stern retires anyway.

I also don't see Burke going for this type of thing either, he's had his run ins in Vancouver over power struggles in the past as well.

Making Anselmi the top dog is a joke, he's been completely unaccountable during his time with TFC. I've never been impressed with him and I think this job is way too big for him.

CEO of the new MLSE is a massive job that you could've headhunted from an insanely deep pool of Fortune500 execs, retired politicians, sports moguls, etc. Instead we just get status quo and a stiff who fails upward.

narduch
09-04-2012, 06:25 PM
This is terrible news for TFC fans hoping for change in the club's management structure.

I predict Paul Beirne will be 'promoted' to President of TFC. (like Danger Red earlier).

Wouldn't surprise me if this was known for months. I bet Anselmi already knew he was going to be given this title when Mariner got his 3-year extension.

Redcoe15
09-04-2012, 06:26 PM
So is it status quo or what?

ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!!!

Or, in ML$E's case, a shit sandwich dinner.

ryan
09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Troubling, to some fans anyway, is that TFC is the one team that was directly under Anselmi’s control. But Vijay Setlur, a lecturer at the Schulich School of Business at York University, figured Anselmi’s hands-on approach with the soccer team may end up being a benefit.
“I could see him taking on a more of an active approach with the operations end of the teams,” said Setlur. “Not only does he have a lot of passion for sports and the teams under MLSE’s umbrella, but he wants to win as badly as anyone else.”

/PUKE

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 07:12 PM
/PUKE

You said it. We can now write off four teams.

Bogers lacked the guts to do something significant. Status quo is the easy way out.

Hopefully they will hold him accountable for how the teams do.

69Chevy396
09-04-2012, 07:16 PM
/PUKE

I think things are much better now. Dale Lastman continues as board director providing the most sports related personal experience in the group. After all, he played ball hockey in front of his north york house for years: that has given mlse all the hockey knowlege they will ever require. I think for soccer and TFC in particular, the new chick had a kid playing soccer and she drove the Escalade carrying ubiquitous soft drinks and bags of chips for the players. We are so lucky.

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 07:30 PM
arrggghhh, listened to the interview, Anselmi explains TFC losing by saying "sports are cyclical." How cyclical can it be when you've set a league record for years of futility? To bad Bobo knows nothing about soccer...

OgtheDim
09-04-2012, 07:31 PM
So many angles to this.

There is the air of "we don't know what we are doing as far as running sports teams so for now we'll give that role to whoever the Christmas tree builder suggests" about all this.

Bogers will spend most of its time in the next 3 years ensuring every one of their divisions gets a piece of the Leafs and Raptors pie. TFC will follow along with that, as an afterthought.

IF they centralise the marketing departments, there will begin to be rumblings about how TFC doesn't pull its weight. That MIGHT lead to some changes at the TFC president level, in about 2 seasons.

The board will approve club presidents of the Burke, Colangelo level - Anselmi will have to sign off on them but the board will have to approve. IF the choice brought forward after the abject failure of Anselmi's first choice does not instill confidence.

There will be now another venue for MLSE to hear about issues. With the Jays, Rogers heard and keenly felt the disgruntlement of fans with Riccardi and moved to change that to something more akin to the Jays long term ethos. A concerted effort at getting the fans views out (not via "source dependent" types like many of our current bloggers and tweet types who are infatuated with the scoop) could force change......in a few years.

BUT, in the meantime, we will have 3 years of issues.

jloome
09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
arrggghhh, listened to the interview, Anselmi explains TFC losing by saying "sports are cyclical." How cyclical can it be when you've set a league record for years of futility? To bad Bobo knows nothing about soccer...

His entire statement is basically tautological. It amounts to "if we were winning, people would be happy with me", which is as valuable as saying "if we were winning, we wouldn't be losing all the fucking time."

Days like today, I hate the rankly archaic elements of human biology that tend to make life a series of increasingly insignificant popularity contests.

narduch
09-04-2012, 07:59 PM
The move is being universally trashed by fans of the Leafs, Raptors and TFC.

ensco
09-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Nasir Mohammed
George Cope
Lawrence Tanenbaum

Gentlemen:

I am a season ticket holder of both the Toronto Maple Leafs (since 1974) and Toronto FC (since inception). My personal background is in the investment industry, and I have some appreciation for the oversight and governance work that has begun, and is to come, at MLSE.

I see today that you have made Tom Anselmi your President. I note with interest that you left the position of CEO unfilled. Perhaps this means something, a small stream of bat’s piss, in an otherwise dreadful day.

While I bear no one at MLSE any malice (they did the best they could), have you done the best you could? This is profoundly distressing news for a number of reasons:

1. Anselmi has no record of success in managing sports teams. None. He has in fact been responsible for one of the most profound failures in sports history. The sole team he is responsible for, Toronto FC, will have managed in a few weeks to finish in the bottom four teams in its league, 5 of the 6 years of its existence.

2. If it isn’t obvious to you that financial success depends on on-field performance, it soon will be. You clearly think winning doesn’t matter in this market, as demonstrated by your actions. It will be interesting to see the degree to which Toronto sports fans have heard you.

3. You have chosen continuity over change. But continuity from what, to what? Beyond the on-field record, has this been a place people with options want to work? Is it not obvious that MLSE has had difficulty attracting both management talent and players to Toronto? Are you aware of Anselmi’s credibility issues in the soccer community and with Toronto FC fans, as a result of a number of off-field incidents?

4. You have given one every reason to conclude that you are unable to take a positive decision, and were forced to stick with the status quo. This is not reassuring.

The Leafs and Raptors are bigger than any one individual, but I shed a tear for my beloved soccer team. Anselmi as President (but not CEO) will not be able to resist remaining heavily involved with it, and will inevitably reward and promote his loyalists in the organization, none of whom are highly regarded in MLS circles. This news is a catastrophe for Toronto FC.

Regards
ensco

Oldtimer
09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
The move is being universally trashed by fans of the Leafs, Raptors and TFC.

If Bogers haven't yet realized they made a huge mistake, they soon will.

Red CB Toronto
09-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Do you or anyone else for that matter think there is much to read into the fact that Tom was named President and COO not President and CEO, the title Richard Petty had at the time of his retirement?

Nasir Mohammed
George Cope
Lawrence Tanenbaum

Gentlemen:

I am a season ticket holder of both the Toronto Maple Leafs (since 1974) and Toronto FC (since inception). My personal background is in the investment industry, and I have some appreciation for the oversight and governance work that has begun, and is to come, at MLSE.

I see today that you have made Tom Anselmi your President. I note with interest that you left the position of CEO unfilled. Perhaps this means something, a small stream of bat’s piss, in an otherwise dreadful day.

While I bear no one at MLSE any malice (they did the best they could), have you done the best you could? This is profoundly distressing news for a number of reasons:

1. Anselmi has no record of success in managing sports teams. None. He has in fact been responsible for one of the most profound failures in sports history. The sole team he is responsible for, Toronto FC, will have managed in a few weeks to finish in the bottom four teams in its league, 5 of the 6 years of its existence.

2. If it isn’t obvious to you that financial success depends on on-field performance, it soon will be. You clearly think winning doesn’t matter in this market, as demonstrated by your actions. It will be interesting to see the degree to which Toronto sports fans have heard you.

3. You have chosen continuity over change. But continuity from what, to what? Beyond the on-field record, has this been a place people with options want to work? Is it not obvious that MLSE has had difficulty attracting both management talent and players to Toronto? Are you aware of Anselmi’s credibility issues in the soccer community and with Toronto FC fans, as a result of a number of off-field incidents?

4. You have given one every reason to conclude that you are unable to take a positive decision, and were forced to stick with the status quo. This is not reassuring.

The Leafs and Raptors are bigger than any one individual, but I shed a tear for my beloved soccer team. Anselmi as President (but not CEO) will not be able to resist remaining heavily involved with it, and will inevitably reward and promote his loyalists in the organization, none of whom are highly regarded in MLS circles. This news is a catastrophe for Toronto FC.

Regards
ensco

ManUtd4ever
09-04-2012, 08:55 PM
During his interview on PTS today, Anselmi actually had the audacity to suggest that the primary reason for TFC's record of futility since it's inception is because all of the other MLS teams with a decent track record already had grass roots in place as a result of years of operation in a lower level league (ie. USL, NASL).

As a knowledgeable MLS supporter, I took that comment as a slap in the face.

Who the fuck are you trying to fool Uncle Tom?

Based on my recollection, Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, and Montreal are the only examples of MLS expansion franchises that had an infrastructure already in place. Besides, it's absolutely no excuse for SIX years of futility. Anselmi has been given more than enough time to build a respectable franchise (at the very least) from scratch.

What a fucking joke. I was expecting a dose of optimism when the new ownership consortium was announced. Boy was I ever wrong.

AL-MO
09-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I can't believe that this sad sack of shit got promoted after 6 years of this mess.

Eat a fucking dick you bastard!

(I'd say some other not so nice things, but my post would just get deleted)

Suds
09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Anselmi talking w/James Cybulski from TSN radio

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/CC Tom Anselmi Sept 4.mp3 (http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/CC%20Tom%20Anselmi%20Sept%204.mp3)

cmonyoureds
09-04-2012, 09:12 PM
You know what's not cyclical cufflinks? My wallet. And it's gone from this massive clusterf**.

Seriously, winning is cyclical? Well hell, I guess we'll just leave an empty stadium until the cycle comes around, eh douchebag? The only thing cyclical about this team is the circle jerk you guys were having while you were getting the job.

AND YOU REALLY ARE TAKING THE PISS if you even think for a second we believe our record of futility is because we didn't have a grassroots program.

YOU AND YOUR CRONIES KILLED MY FOOTBALL TEAM. Cyclical? Grassroots? Jeepers murphy, that ain't even the purple kool aid you're slinging, it's nothing but sh* on a stick.

Redcoe15
09-04-2012, 09:22 PM
During his interview on PTS today, Anselmi actually had the audacity to suggest that the primary reason for TFC's record of futility since it's inception is because all of the other MLS teams with a decent track record already had grass roots in place as a result of years of operation in a lower level league (ie. USL, NASL).

Based on my recollection, Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, and Montreal are the only examples of MLS expansion franchises that had an infrastructure already in place. Besides, it's absolutely no excuse for SIX years of futility. Anselmi has been given more than enough time to build a respectable franchise (at the very least) from scratch.

What a fucking joke. I was expecting a dose of optimism when the new ownership consortium was announced. Boy was I ever wrong.
What's more, look at the top team in the league, San Jose. They were an expansion team that had to build from the ground up, just like TFC. And they came in a year later and with nothing in the way of a soccer specific stadium.

Tom Anselmi. Human asswipe!

69Chevy396
09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
What's more, look at the top team in the league, San Jose. They were an expansion team that had to build from the ground up, just like TFC. And they came in a year later and with nothing in the way of a soccer specific stadium.

Tom Anselmi. Human asswipe!
I am angry too. But I did something about it, I bailed on my season tickets last year and am so very glad I did. I am not advocating a mass exodus, but really, can you, members of RPBs not see the value of at least staying away from one or two games to show your displeasure? As long as you show up singing, chanting and dancing at the games nobody at MLSE will believe a word you say in forums such as this one

PopePouri
09-04-2012, 10:14 PM
http://img2-3.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080425/office-space-01_l.jpg

Fuck shit up. Get promotion.

gracos
09-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Already it seems to me that Bogers is getting off to the wrong foot by upgrading bad performance of one brand to all brands by moving Anselmi up in the company hierarchy, most people if you dont get the job done, you dont get a raise and/or promotion, I want to join MLSE to be able to get an increase for bad service, lol, just doesnt work that way in the real world

Alonso
09-04-2012, 10:31 PM

Same here man. I don't want to part with my seasons but feel an obligation now to vote with my wallet.

Love the team, but hate the bullshit arrogant management. This guy is so smug and nonchalant about running a franchise through the mud for going onto 7 years now it's infuriating.

Alonso
09-04-2012, 10:48 PM
His entire statement is basically tautological. It amounts to "if we were winning, people would be happy with me", which is as valuable as saying "if we were winning, we wouldn't be losing all the fucking time."

Days like today, I hate the rankly archaic elements of human biology that tend to make life a series of increasingly insignificant popularity contests.

Here here.

Ditto.

AND IBID.

MG42
09-04-2012, 10:53 PM
When will Tom's cycle start, if sports are so cyclical

gracos
09-05-2012, 01:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwoQ2b3k8Uo

3:28, i guess MLSE doesnt understand the standard facts of life

ensco
09-05-2012, 05:32 AM
Do you or anyone else for that matter think there is much to read into the fact that Tom was named President and COO not President and CEO, the title Richard Petty had at the time of his retirement?

They have a lack of confidence in the guy so didn't give him the full endorsement. CEO's are really are supposed to be above the fray, with strong, autonomous people reporting to them. Presidents' roles are more malleable, vaguer. Presidents have more licence to get involved in operations.

So now everything meaningful that any MLSE team does has to go through his office, plus he'll retain control of his pet project, the soccer team.

Don't forget, this team now has hundreds of millions of dollars in debt on it, that it didn't used to have.

I think we need a thread on new teams to consider adopting. I am not joking.

Shakes McQueen
09-05-2012, 07:06 AM

Yeah, maybe this held some water for the first year (two at the most), but to give that as your excuse as we are winding down year SIX? Give me a break, Tom.

I hate Damien Cox, but I'll tip my hat to him for at least bringing up to Anselmi, what TFC supporters were all collectively thinking at this news.

My only hope is that his new role as President causes him to volountarily step aside from overseeing TFC in order to focus on Presidential duties, as the chances of him being removed otherwise dropped to zero.

TFC fans are really at a crisis point, regarding where we go from here. I don't mean protests or rallies - I mean whether people just walk away, period. This isn't a team with a rich history, that people have felt an indescribable kinship with since they were small children... it's a young team we all chose to adopt as our own.

That short history has been 90% disappointment and abuse, and it continues to this day. Folks won't do this forever.

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Don't forget, this team now has hundreds of millions of dollars in debt on it, that it didn't used to have.

The millions of dollars of debt came from where? players? Genuinely asking. The amount of profit made over the first seasons before they thought about grass and expansion I thought would compensate them till now.

A thread on who to adopt?

Is billyfly out there? What's that term you like to use? Cafeteria something or other?

Everyone has the right to make their own decision but I would find it apalling to adopt another team. People follow foreign teams in foreign teams. That's an entirely different animal.

There are options for live footy. Watching the academy doesn't give a dime to MLSE. And you support your local.

Beach_Red
09-05-2012, 07:24 AM
They have a lack of confidence in the guy so didn't give him the full endorsement. CEO's are really are supposed to be above the fray, with strong, autonomous people reporting to them. Presidents' roles are more malleable, vaguer. Presidents have more licence to get involved in operations.

So now everything meaningful that any MLSE team does has to go through his office, plus he'll retain control of his pet project, the soccer team.

Yeah, that debt is a big deal. TFC used to be able to bank some money - ticket sales and the Edu sale, that kind of thing - before they spent it. But that kind of money is gone now. Will they go into more debt? Seems unlikely.

Maybe if they find a willing buyer they could spin off TFC?

TOBOR !
09-05-2012, 07:35 AM
This is jokes.

I used to think that TFC were handicapped in comparison to the USL teams that moved to MLS in the manner that those teams had infrastructure in place and TFC didn't.

It's taken me six years, but I now realise that they are handicapped, yes, but by their owners - nothing else.

There's too much MLSE in TFC.

__wowza
09-05-2012, 07:44 AM
;1526000']Im not as good as WOWZA, but im stepping it up. What you got Wowza?

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?32629-ML-E-s-*new*-board-of-directors-amp-CEO&p=1525958&viewfull=1#post1525958

ag futbol
09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
How much does a USL / NASL team cost? It's not like it's a decrease in quality compared to what we're watching right now. Hell it might be a good way to hold onto half of our players :facepalm:

TOBOR !
09-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Anselmi was classic yesterday on The FAN.

He talked for 15 minutes and said nothing.

Favourite bits :

"Sports is cyclical", effectively stating that since a blind pig finds the occasional truffle, and a broken clock is correct twice a day, success will eventually come to all losing teams.

".. look at the LA Kings. They were bad for 7 or 8 years, but they turned things around and won the cup this year - so that's another way of doing it".

"we're heading in the righ direction. It's going to be great when we're winning again", no mention of how this will be accomplished.

This guy is the George Bush of the sporting landscape.

[NBF]
09-05-2012, 08:02 AM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?32629-ML-E-s-*new*-board-of-directors-amp-CEO&p=1525958&viewfull=1#post1525958

Meh, I thought it would really take off, but I guess people are extremely tired of putting effort into it. Its all good though I put my two cents.

I got a strong feeling that the team will be sold. Away from MLSE. It loses too much money and the results are just not there. IDK, if they hired another coach to manage the TFCA Juniors when Brennan left and they dont seem to be bringing up young coaches either.

[NBF]
09-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Anselmi was classic yesterday on The FAN.

He talked for 15 minutes and said nothing.

Favourite bits :

"Sports is cyclical", effectively stating that since a blind pig finds the occasional truffle, and a broken clock is correct twice a day, success will eventually come to all losing teams.

".. look at the LA Kings. They were bad for 7 or 8 years, but they turned things around and won the cup this year - so that's another way of doing it".

"we're heading in the righ direction. It's going to be great when we're winning again", no mention of how this will be accomplished.

This guy is the George Bush of the sporting landscape.

I find that strange considering they've moved away from the MLS draft by sending away picks to other teams for nothing in return. The only way he can say sports is cyclical is if they consider the MLS draft as an effective way of recruiting players from year to year and build a team through the draft.

Beach_Red
09-05-2012, 08:17 AM
;1526080']Meh, I thought it would really take off, but I guess people are extremely tired of putting effort into it. Its all good though I put my two cents.

I got a strong feeling that the team will be sold. Away from MLSE. It loses too much money and the results are just not there. IDK, if they hired another coach to manage the TFCA Juniors when Brennan left and they dont seem to be bringing up young coaches either.

It's not a very good buy, though. Whoever owns the team will still have to deal with Bell/Rogers for any broadcast deal. All it really leaves for a new owner is the gate. Maybe they could talk the Argos owners into buying it if they give them a deal on playing at BMO, but who else would want to own the team and still have to deal with these guys?

Ensco may be right, we either have to accept that this is the way things are going to be for a long time or find some other team...

ensco
09-05-2012, 08:19 AM
The millions of dollars of debt came from where? players? Genuinely asking. The amount of profit made over the first seasons before they thought about grass and expansion I thought would compensate them till now.

The debt is on the whole company, not just TFC. It arose because the whole transaction is a leveraged buyout. I can't look it up right now, but I think it's around $600 million.

First thing Ansemi talked about was "hunkering down".

TOBOR !
09-05-2012, 08:21 AM
;1526083']I find that strange considering they've moved away from the MLS draft by sending away picks to other teams for nothing in return. The only way he can say sports is cyclical is if they consider the MLS draft as an effective way of recruiting players from year to year and build a team through the draft.

It became a mantra, and you knew how he intended it : all teams win eventually.

It's a reverse 'Peter Principle' of sorts : no matter how bad you are, eventually you'll rise to the top because sports is cyclical.

And it'll be great to be part of this when we do win. Everyone (who's still around) will go crazy.

I wouldn't say that this move is the straw that broke the camel's back, but rather it is the affirmation that I have made the correct decision to not renew my season tickets.

This club does not represent the people.

Oldtimer
09-05-2012, 08:21 AM
How much does a USL / NASL team cost? It's not like it's a decrease in quality compared to what we're watching right now. Hell it might be a good way to hold onto half of our players :facepalm:

If you don't mind PDL level soccer, these guys are still around:

http://www.torontolynxpremiersoccer.com/images/Logos/Lynx%20logo%20-%20Copy.jpg

Their next season starts May 2013 (PDL season ends in July). They have a much longer tradition than TFC, and they are a local team. DeRo started with the Lynx in 1997.

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2012, 08:25 AM
^

Um, no.

That is a Mississauga team. I need a local team. Toronto team for me.

ensco
09-05-2012, 08:32 AM
I think RPB should move en masse to adopt a second MLS team, as an interim step. I will go with whatever team the group decides.

I nominate RSL. Love the way they play. Love the way they run their team.

Wull
09-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I'd rather stay involved with trying to influence and fix the direction of our team than bother with a different one

Beach_Red
09-05-2012, 08:41 AM
It became a mantra, and you knew how he intended it : all teams win eventually.

It's a reverse 'Peter Principle' of sorts : no matter how bad you are, eventually you'll rise to the top because sports is cyclical.

And it'll be great to be part of this when we do win. Everyone (who's still around) will go crazy.

I wouldn't say that this move is the straw that broke the camel's back, but rather it is the affirmation that I have made the correct decision to not renew my season tickets.

This club does not represent the people.

We all have different straws, or different affirmations, as you say, but the common factor may be when each of us realizes that, "This club does not represent the people." For me it was when they talked about importing a culture without saying a single word about the culture that Toronto already has.

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2012, 08:51 AM
I think RPB should move en masse to adopt a second MLS team, as an interim step. I will go with whatever team the group decides.

Fuck. This.

That means one vote for "never"

ryan
09-05-2012, 08:52 AM

DCU. I have no problem cheering for DeRo and Jakovic. :D

ag futbol
09-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Fuck. This.

That means one vote for "never"
Meh, I'm not a huge fan of the alternative, but he is right that there is very little left about this team that is likable.

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2012, 08:57 AM
DCU. I have no problem cheering for DeRo and Jakovic. :D

Whatever. If it's not your local its an excuse.

Shakes McQueen
09-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Using the LA Kings as an example was pretty hilarious, considering they've in no way built TFC along similar principles. How many of our draft picks are in our lineup? How many have we traded away?

And that's without approaching the argument of whether building a cup winner through the draft in MLS is really viable, or whether taking 7-8 years is acceptable in MLS.

- Scott

Beach_Red
09-05-2012, 09:06 AM

This team is the opposite of local, it's a corporate brand that happens to have its head office in Toronto.

Shakes McQueen
09-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Yeah, no dice here. I'd sooner walk away from the league altogether, than simply switch allegiances to another team.

- Scott

ryan
09-05-2012, 09:09 AM

I wasn't really being serious, I find MLS tough to watch without an emotional interest which I'd only have for TFC.

Look dude, I get your angle of "support local" but I just don't agree that we have no regard for self respect.

This corporation is insulting you, walking all over you and pissing in your face. They are literally throwing it at us every fucking day in the media with their comments and complete fucking loss to understand why TFC fails.

Would you support local if they charged you 100 bucks a match to sit in the south end? When does it fucking stop for your type of belief?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm serious. What is your breaking point? Do you have one? Or can MLSE do whatever they fuck they want to the club and you and you'll just support them anyways? I'm sure they would like to know how much they can shake out of you, might as well skip the bullshit price increases and let them know so we can just jack things up to that level.

In short, what the fuck are people so afraid of to take a god damn stand against this fucking shitshow? I'm not talking about wearing green for the day to get a footnote in the news, or to not cheer for a match or whatever...something that actually fucking matters and accomplishes something? You're kidding yourself if these "Fire Anselmi" banners are anything more than a quick laugh from everyone in MLSE.

Joe Kool
09-05-2012, 09:12 AM
I think RPB should move en masse to adopt a second MLS team, as an interim step.

Straight red for that comment :red:. I thought for a second about a yellow but going with the straight red. Why the hell should we be associated with any other MLS team? I have respect for other teams and what they have done for themselves but I don't give a crap about any other MLS team and will not support anything other than my local team even when they are tanking it like right now. My support may dwindle a bit at times with the given situation but I ain't no two timin' ho.

Shakes McQueen
This team is the opposite of local, it's a corporate brand that happens to have its head office in Toronto.

It may not be a mom & pop operation, but it most certainly is local. MLSE are a Toronto based corporation, with sports and real estate properties all based out of Toronto. Toronto FC itself play in the heart of the city, not some distant suburb of the GTA like a lot of other teams. As do all of their other sports properties.

Sure their teams are just brands, but by that definition no big sports teams are local any more - because sports have been big business and branding focused for years now, and increasingly moving toward corporate ownership.

- Scott

Beach_Red
Yeah, no dice here. I'd sooner walk away from the league altogether, than simply switch allegiances to another team.

- Scott

I hope soccer succeeds in the USA. I think it would be good for America to be involved in a worldwide sport. So I don't really want to walk away from the league, but I am prepared to treat it the way I do the NFL.

Beach_Red
09-05-2012, 09:15 AM
It may not be a mom & pop operation, but it most certainly is local. MLSE are a Toronto based corporation, with sports and real estate properties all based out of Toronto. Toronto FC itself play in the heart of the city, not some distant suburb of the GTA like a lot of other teams. As do all of their other sports properties.

Sure their teams are just brands, but by that definition no big sports teams are local any more - because sports have been big business and branding focused for years now, and increasingly moving toward corporate ownership.

- Scott

But not all corporate ownership is equal and some are more connected to their communities than others. I hate to say it, but Saputo is actually doing a pretty good job.

Oldtimer
09-05-2012, 09:17 AM
I would have more excuse than many here to support another MLS team. I was born in Montreal, and am a lifelong Habs fan (I remember watching them in the nosebleeds as a little kid in the old Forum). I was a member of the Young Expos baseball team fan club. It would be so easy for me to support the Impact (the "ultras" aside).

Or I could look at DC United. Before TFC, when I started following MLS in 2005, DC was my favourite team, and I was a fan. Add DeRo to the mix and you have a winner.

However, you don't choose your club, your club chooses you. I followed the Lynx and attended their games when they were the only thing around. TFC was my first North American D-1 local football club, and I live here. I won't change to supporting another as long as I am a GTA resident. At worst I just won't support anyone.

That doesn't mean I won't enjoy and appreciate matches with other MLS sides. I think KC is doing something very innovative with their 4-3-3 formation. I've loved to watch Kreis' RSL. And I am a DeRo fan. But none of them will ever be my home team.

Yohan
09-05-2012, 09:17 AM
I wasn't really being serious, I find MLS tough to watch without an emotional interest which I'd only have for TFC.

Look dude, I get your angle of "support local" but I just don't agree that we have no regard for self respect.

This corporation is insulting you, walking all over you and pissing in your face. They are literally throwing it at us every fucking day in the media with their comments and complete fucking loss to understand why TFC fails.

Would you support local if they charged you 100 bucks a match to sit in the south end? When does it fucking stop for your type of belief?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm serious. What is your breaking point? Do you have one? Or can MLSE do whatever they fuck they want to the club and you and you'll just support them anyways? I'm sure they would like to know how much they can shake out of you, might as well skip the bullshit price increases and let them know so we can just jack things up to that level.

In short, what the fuck are people so afraid of to take a god damn stand against this fucking shitshow? I'm not talking about wearing green for the day to get a footnote in the news, or to not cheer for a match or whatever...something that actually fucking matters and accomplishes something? You're kidding yourself if these "Fire Anselmi" banners are anything more than a quick laugh from everyone in MLSE.
you can support the team without giving a single penny to MLSE. this includes not going to any games

Yohan
09-05-2012, 09:19 AM
But not all corporate ownership is equal and some are more connected to their communities than others. I hate to say it, but Saputo is actually doing a pretty good job.

because Saputo is a soccer supporter first, businessman second. not something you can say about Anselmi

ensco
09-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Straight red for that comment :red:.

I ain't no two timin' ho.

I really understand that. Flip side is, I can't just cheer for laundry. It has to represent me somehow.

(Love the card bit btw. g:D)

Oldtimer
09-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Joey is actually a very good owner to have. He may be a billionaire, but he's not in footy for the money, he's in it because he loves the sport and wants it to grow in Quebec. He's the antithesis of ML$E in many ways.

Sure he'll make a buck if he can, but that's not his main motivation.

Shakes McQueen

MLSE actually do a lot of good community stuff within the GTA. Their problems are simply a) all of their teams are crap, and b) their tone deafness when it comes to interacting with their customers.

So they have developed a well earned reputation as poor team owners, but they are certainly local by any meaningful definition of the word.

- Scott

ryan
you can support the team without giving a single penny to MLSE. this includes not going to any games

I know.

I admire the passion and dedication from guys like FYR, I always love being around him and others at CMNT and TFC matches, but I want to know if there's a cutoff for what MLSE is doing.

We are all adults here, we know what is said to the media is said on purpose and can be without any shred of truth. MLSE is not in the business of winning, never have been, and as per this promotion, never will be. Let's stop kidding ourselves.

Initial B
09-05-2012, 09:31 AM
This news left me feeling destroyed this morning. I'm so glad that Ottawa is getting a NASL team soon. I can still cheer for TFC but at least I'll have the option of cheering for another team that might actually care for the fans.

I am reminded of a quote from a Uruguayan writer who once said, "A man can change his job, wife, religion, or political beliefs, but he can never change his favourite footbal team."

What scares me most about this that Anselmi is now in a position of power to promote whoever he wants into place at TFC. I would be very interested in seeing what kind of check and balance the MLSE BoD has to his recommendations. If he requests Bierne or Brennan to take his place, I would hope that Bogers reps on the board would swat that down in an instant.

ensco
09-05-2012, 09:31 AM
MLSE actually do a lot of good community stuff within the GTA

Can't let that pass. This has always really annoyed me. Their "good community stuff" cannot be viewed in isolation without understanding their public land use history and strategy. Same goes for the endless wrapping themselves in the flag they do down there.

Joe Kool
09-05-2012, 09:33 AM
I really understand that. Flip side is, I can't just cheer for laundry. It has to represent me somehow.

(Love the card bit btw. g:D)

That's why I added the part about support dwindling at times like right now. I am having a hard time dealing with this like everyone else and I can't just cheer for laundry either. I am not investing any more money right now which means giving up my seasons this year which I thought I would never do but I can't financially support this team anymore for the shit being displayed. I will not be taken for granted by the TFC FO that they can do whatever they like and I will be there spending my money. If, down the road, they start to show they care about the team and supporters then I may return. Just too many other important things in my life to spend my money on right now than this crap. Having said that I enjoy watching other MLS teams play I just can't switch my support while living here. Will never happen for me.

Beach_Red
09-05-2012, 09:33 AM
MLSE actually do a lot of good community stuff within the GTA. Their problems are simply a) all of their teams are crap, and b) their tone deafness when it comes to interacting with their customers.

So they have developed a well earned reputation as poor team owners, but they are certainly local by any meaningful definition of the word.

- Scott

That tone deafness is a big factor for me. Sure, they've done things for the community but the communication is in no way a two-way street. They do things "for" the community, they're not really involved. There are better corporate owners (and probably worse, I guess).

I certainly couldn't blame anyone who lives in Toronto but doesn't feel that TFC is "their" team. Leafs fans have weathered a lot of storms of bad ownerships and that's built up a kind of bond that TFC just doesn't have. And, I guess for me, the worst part is it didn't have to be like this. I accept corporate ownership (even if I dream of an entire league of Green Bay Packers) but that tone deafness is a big problem.

brad
09-05-2012, 09:35 AM
It's not a very good buy, though. Whoever owns the team will still have to deal with Bell/Rogers for any broadcast deal. All it really leaves for a new owner is the gate. Maybe they could talk the Argos owners into buying it if they give them a deal on playing at BMO, but who else would want to own the team and still have to deal with these guys?

Assuming the buyer keeps the team in Toronto and does not relocate it to greener pastures.

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Back at you ryan, but why would you need to know MY limit? You'd hear it when it happened. I don't get when people gauge their limit against someone else's. Or declare "If it gets vaguely worse, they're out!".

And Yohan knows my deal. You can support the badge without a penny (Academy) spent but there are several options before one takes that.

And ensco, "follow" another team to your hearts content but it's only the term "adopt" I get pissy about as if I could take my support in my hand and place it on another badge. It has a very mercenary feel.

Beach_Red
09-05-2012, 09:39 AM
I would have more excuse than many here to support another MLS team. I was born in Montreal, and am a lifelong Habs fan (I remember watching them in the nosebleeds as a little kid in the old Forum). I was a member of the Young Expos baseball team fan club. It would be so easy for me to support the Impact (the "ultras" aside).

This was my childhood, too. I opened my first bank account (Bank of Montreal, back when they were based in Montreal ;)) so I could get into the Young Expos in 1970. When I finally moved to Toronto in the early 90s I couldn't really support the Leafs or the Jays but then TFC came along and I thought I finally had a local team.

I thought losing the Expos was bad, this might be worse ;).

Shakes McQueen
09-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Can't let that pass. This has always really annoyed me. Their "good community stuff" cannot be viewed in isolation without understanding their public land use history and strategy. Same goes for the endless wrapping themselves in the flag they do down there.

But this isn't isolated to MLSE. Lots of team owners do "good work" in the community, but also largely take advantage of local governments, get sweetheart deals, and make threats over things like new stadium funding.

I'm under no illusions that they do any "community outreach" from the bottom of their hearts, as with any corporation. It's all strategy, and image.

- Scott

Oldtimer
09-05-2012, 09:44 AM
This was my childhood, too. I opened my first bank account (Bank of Montreal, back when they were based in Montreal ;)) so I could get into the Young Expos in 1970. When I finally moved to Toronto in the early 90s I couldn't really support the Leafs or the Jays but then TFC came along and I thought I finally had a local team.

I thought losing the Expos was bad, this might be worse ;).

Yep, same deal on most counts (except I already had a Bank of Montreal account). I still have my "Young Expos" membership card, signed by "Rusty" Staub!

Shakes McQueen
09-05-2012, 09:45 AM
That tone deafness is a big factor for me. Sure, they've done things for the community but the communication is in no way a two-way street. They do things "for" the community, they're not really involved. There are better corporate owners (and probably worse, I guess).

I certainly couldn't blame anyone who lives in Toronto but doesn't feel that TFC is "their" team. Leafs fans have weathered a lot of storms of bad ownerships and that's built up a kind of bond that TFC just doesn't have. And, I guess for me, the worst part is it didn't have to be like this. I accept corporate ownership (even if I dream of an entire league of Green Bay Packers) but that tone deafness is a big problem.

This conversation has bled over into issues we don't disagree about. My sole disagreement was over the statement that they weren't local.

- Scott

TOBOR !
09-05-2012, 09:45 AM

^ this makes me think of a certain former Tour de France winner.

I'll go watch the kids play at park before cheering on another team.

Hamilton FC play up the road. I've been thinking of getting season tickets for them for next year.

I get that we're all TFC supporters, but I think this is the point where we should choose to support the game itself.

Go to the park to watch the kids.

Find out who your 'local' team is, wherever you live. I don't mean your MLS or NASL/USL side. Dig deeper. Look into the CSL, or even city leagues. Go and watch them play. Show up at Sunday League matches.

Learn to enjoy the game again before MLSE takes all the fun out of it. Take a TFC sabbatical. Maybe you'll find something you like better, or maybe when you return MLSE's head will have popped out of it's ass and BMO will be a fun place to be again.

Joe Kool
09-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Assuming the buyer keeps the team in Toronto and does not relocate it to greener pastures.

I don't know if you can get a much greener pasture than Toronto in my opinion. You just have to know how to cultivate that pasture to make things grow. You give a farmer a field he will make things grow. You take a city slicker and give him a field and it is going to die slowly. Even if he gets a German farming consultant who employs a Dutch farming philosophy it may not work in the North American climate. Ok, enough farming analogies...

ryan
09-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Back at you ryan, but why would you need to know MY limit? You'd hear it when it happened. I don't get when people gauge their limit against someone else's. Or declare if it gets vaguely worse "Their out!".

And Yohan knows my deal. You can support the badge without a penny spent but there are several options before one takes that.

And ensco, "follow" another team to your hearts content but it's only the term "adopt" I get pissy about as if I could take my support in my hand and place it on another badge. It has a very mercenary feel.

I'm not trying to compare myself to you, I don't need yours or anyone else's to make my own choice that I've already made, I'm just asking if one exists for you. I'm asking what tolerance you have for this obvious money over all attitude MLSE takes with his entities.

I just get the impression that there's some who will literally support no matter what MLSE does to fans or the club. I was curious if I'm correct about it.

If you don't want to share your stance here, that's fine, it's your business. I just asked because I'm trying to understand where some types of people stand on the issue of MLSE abuse of fans. Wondering how many people just don't care what MLSE does, they just need to see live football. Or if they are afraid the club will leave if they take a legit stand against this crap.

I am curious to know more about many TFC fans and why they stand how they do right now. That's it.

Beach_Red
09-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Yep, same deal on most counts (except I already had a Bank of Montreal account). I still have my "Young Expos" membership card, signed by "Rusty" Staub!

La Grand Orange! Try comparing that experience of the new Expos with TFC. I took my son to some games and he became a fan of Greg Sutton. Then he was thrilled that DeRo came to Toronto. Who would have signed his "Young TFC" membership card? Tom Anselmi? Paul Bierne? I guess the closest would be Dichio, who they would have run out of town if there hadn't been a supporter revolt. It seems they've done all they can to make sure there's no "Jonesville" at BMO...

jabbronies
09-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I hope TFC isn't the be all and end of for peoples enjoyment of footy. That would be depressing. It's pretty easy to support a Euro team and still feel a part of the action. People in this city have been doing it for years. Find a footy bar - Turn your local into a footy bar - go and watch real soccer. Fuck the politics and actually watch the sport.

TFC was suppose to be the local footy fix for us. Unfortunately they have turned out to be a bust - Largely and mainly due to the team management, but not excluding the supporters themselves.

ryan
09-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Didn't the Toronto Star expose MLSE's Team Up charity a few years ago as not really distributing the funds - much like a lot of charities - to the appropriate people and paying mainly for administrators?

http://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/article/800061--star-investigation-the-high-cost-of-sports-charities

“The smart money isn’t giving through sports foundations (like Team Up) to achieve impact,” says Kate Bahen, managing director of Charity Intelligence Canada, a non-profit organization that analyzes charity finances. “(MLSE) is a massive hockey machine. But to present Team Up as experts in community development is a stretch.”

Not juse MLSE, but yep. No need to applaud it really.

Meh, for those disillusioned with TFC there's always another team that breaks your hearts from time to time.... Canada's Men National Team.

But at least with the CMNT there is some hope. Therefore, I'm really looking forward to Friday's match.

Match of the year at BMO!

The CSA needs to make WC's to succeed and get fans out. There's no other way. Works out great for us V's.

Oldtimer
09-05-2012, 10:07 AM
I actually think Tom Anselmi may have been given enough rope to hang himself (figuratively speaking). If the Leafs continue to suck, he won't be able to hide like he has with TFC, The profile is just so huge. Bogers may have majorily screwed up by choosing him, but they need playoff content to fill their air waves, and he will be held responsible if he doesn't deliver. It's not like with Teachers where you can offset the losses with the lack of playoffs with condo profits and the like. They need winning teams more than they need the bottom-line profits from ML$E.

Personally, I think they should have looked at AEG to hire good executive talent. They are a company very much in character like ML$E, except that they are well-run. The LA Kings and the LA Galaxy are models of how to run "big city" teams.

Yohan
09-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Not sure about LA Galaxy. Can't sell out their stadium. Ticket prices are pretty damn high. Not to mention ridiculous friendlies galore

ryan
09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Not sure about LA Galaxy. Can't sell out their stadium. Ticket prices are pretty damn high. Not to mention ridiculous friendlies galore

Doesn't matter. You don't make it rich putting fans in the seats, you make it rich by doing this....

Today the LA Galaxy announced their own separation from Fox, to the tune of ten years at $55 million

ManUtd4ever
09-05-2012, 10:58 AM

- Scott

Same here.

bones
09-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm going to look at this from a positive side (ducks for gunshots).

With Dinglenuts at the top now he hopefully will be forced to follow suite with the Leafs and Raptors sub-organizations that have full on Presidents THAT KNOW A GREAT DEAL ABOUT THE DAMN SPORT HAND PICKED AS A VERY GOOD AUTHORITY, FROM THE DAMN LEAGUE THEY PLAY IN. So, having said that, we COULD, be looking at the insertion of a MLS minded president for TFC soon.

Dinglenuts has no idea about TFC and football in general. He recognized that and tried to bring in what he was fed as "good choices". Year after year ML$E spent good money on bringing in "good choices" who year after year completely rebuilt the organization. TFC's explosion in popularity in the first few years meant instant partial success was mandatory, however the trend of failure and rebuild continued. Time for the long ball - I can appreciate that the whole experiment with bringing in a world football mind as a consultant that recommended a highly skilled, long term philosophical decision that failed on epic proportions(aka Winter/BDK "system"), but ML$E did spend money to try it. Now we're at the lowest point in history. It's a pretty good time to bring in that president and anything they do will be gold.

ML$E needs to reset the prices on a few of their sub-organizations. For the first time in a long time ML$E had to actually run advertisements to sell out all their top income boxes for the all mighty Leafs! Raptors have been working very hard at just selling season tickets. And TFC will be in trouble next year if they don't pull the prices back. I have mixed feelings on if this will happen. On the one hand, there is a new owner and that's a good time for this to happen. Profits of ML$E as a whole don't matter as much to Belgers as long as Belgers can significantly increase their MEDIA portions broadcasting/reporting profits that realistically could make ML$E's prior profits look like chump change. HOWEVER, Dinglenuts is promoted not fired..my effing god....ooops sorry trying to stay positive here.

So there MAY be hope here.

(still doesn't stop me from trying to make a "who promotes incompetence? We do." (a few stone cutters logos)

Auzzy
09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Folks, just a general comment. The state of TFC/MLSE is so depressing, especially now and over many years in the past. The decision for supporters RE how to respond is extremely difficult. It's both a very personal decision, and a very communal issue: renewing seasons or not; downgrading seats; buying single-game tickets or not; protests/banners etc; watching on TV or on a free stream; following/supporting another team or not; supporting the Academy etc etc etc. Let's try to not attack each other on here -- not that it's really happened yet, but the potential is very much there, also considering other recent threads.

For anyone thinking "you just aren't real supporters" and so on -- consider that those that read this board, or post here, are a very select few who really do care, even if they're totally pissed off at the moment (or even if they're somehow still OK with what's happening & think this club & management team can turn things around). For every person on here, there are hundreds that just don't care, have given up or lost interest, don't say a peep publicly and are just gone. Or show up blindly at every home game, have some beers & crack some jokes while surfing their smart phones, and not really care either.

narduch
09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
TFC is so small compared to the Leafs and Raptors that it wouldn't surprise me if they don't get their own President.

It also wouldn't surprise me if that after Mariner fails, he becomes President of TFC and a new coach is hired.

I still would bet money on Paul Beirne getting a stronger role at TFC.

Just one more point. I haven't been this depressed as a soccer supporter since being in the stadium in Montreal and watching Canada lose to Honduras in that tragic World Cup Qualifier. Part of sport is selling hope to the fans. I've lost all hope for TFC.

ag futbol
09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
errm... average home attendance looks to be 23k based on the wiki page. That also should take into account they are not allowed to use the full stadium capacity on weeknights during the school year since it is on a university campus. They do perfectly fine IMO, and their brand is unmatched in the league.

boban
09-05-2012, 11:39 AM

TOM ANSELMI APPOINTED PRESIDENT AND COO
OF MAPLE LEAF SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Larry Tanenbaum, Chairman of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) announced Tuesday that Tom Anselmi has been appointed President and Chief Operating Officer of MLSE, effective immediately.

“Tom’s proven strength in operations has made him a respected leader here at MLSE and across the sports and entertainment industry,” said Tanenbaum. “His passion for our teams and our fans makes Tom the perfect choice as President and COO of this great organization.”

In his new role, Anselmi oversees all MLSE operations, and reports in the interim to the MLSE Board through the Chair.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

AL-MO
09-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm not trying to compare myself to you, I don't need yours or anyone else's to make my own choice that I've already made, I'm just asking if one exists for you. I'm asking what tolerance you have for this obvious money over all attitude MLSE takes with his entities.

I just get the impression that there's some who will literally support no matter what MLSE does to fans or the club. I was curious if I'm correct about it.

If you don't want to share your stance here, that's fine, it's your business. I just asked because I'm trying to understand where some types of people stand on the issue of MLSE abuse of fans. Wondering how many people just don't care what MLSE does, they just need to see live football. Or if they are afraid the club will leave if they take a legit stand against this crap.

I am curious to know more about many TFC fans and why they stand how they do right now. That's it.

I'm not taking anymore abuse myself. Been thinking about not renewing my STH's for a while now. This may be the tipping point.

The move yesterday is one in a long line that shows they just don't give a fuck. All they will do is FREEZE STH prices to try to appease you, but they won't make any further effort.

Status quo is the name of the game. Until the stadium starts looking like the CCL games more often and season ticket renewals plunge expect the same tune.

There was a meeting a few weeks ago with Supporters which was supposed to be about 'improving support'. It turned out to be mostly a waste of time because very few people at the table (FO and Supporters included) actually were interested in improving things. Small 'tweaks' were discussed, but nothing that will actually make a difference.

TFC has to be prepared to make drastic changes. That includes on the field, in the FO and in the stands. That's the only way things will get better.

Montreal gets a reduction in STH prices and a GA Supporter stand, and we continue to keep getting shat on.

As Boban said above me "The more things change, the more they stay the same".

ManUtd4ever
09-05-2012, 12:20 PM
The situation is still salvageable IF:

-MLSE hires a qualified president from outside the organization to oversee football operations

-TFC ticket prices are discounted to 2007 levels across the board

If these measures are not taken soon, I would be surpised if STH renewals exceed 7000 next season.

As for me, I will renew because I still love the badge and my tickets are still a great deal at the current price point. However, I hope MLSE realizes that my stance is reflective of an extreme minority of TFC supporters in this city.

reggie
09-05-2012, 12:25 PM
TFC is so small compared to the Leafs and Raptors that it wouldn't surprise me if they don't get their own President.

It also wouldn't surprise me if that after Mariner fails, he becomes President of TFC and a new coach is hired.

I still would bet money on Paul Beirne getting a stronger role at TFC.

Just one more point. I haven't been this depressed as a soccer supporter since being in the stadium in Montreal and watching Canada lose to Honduras in that tragic World Cup Qualifier. Part of sport is selling hope to the fans. I've lost all hope for TFC.

God help us ..if PB ,PM, or EC get a bigger role..jezzzz

Beach_Red
09-05-2012, 12:25 PM
The situation is still salvageable IF:

-MLSE hires a qualified president from outside the organization to oversee football operations

-TFC ticket prices are discounted to 2007 levels across the board

If these measures are not taken soon, I would be surpised if STH renewals exceed 7000 next season.

As for me, I will renew because I still love the badge and my tickets are still a great deal at the current price point. However, I hope MLSE realizes that my stance is reflective of an extreme minority of TFC supporters in this city.

It's a long, uphill climb. This isn't the same MLS as 2006. You can see the better organizations starting to emerge and pulling away from the pack. Turning this around and being anything more than a mid-table team in this league is getting harder everyday.

Of course, just like in the beginning we were simply happy to have a team, maybe after all these years at the bottom they're counting on us being happy to be just mid-table.

ManUtd4ever
09-05-2012, 12:39 PM
It's a long, uphill climb. This isn't the same MLS as 2006. You can see the better organizations starting to emerge and pulling away from the pack. Turning this around and being anything more than a mid-table team in this league is getting harder everyday.

Of course, just like in the beginning we were simply happy to have a team, maybe after all these years at the bottom they're counting on us being happy to be just mid-table.

I agree. I mentioned in a previous thread that even if a new president is hired and prices are scaled back, it will take at least a few consecutive winning seasons to reinvigorate the fan base to what it once was.

My point was that those measures need to be taken just to prevent the franchise from becoming an afterthought in this town.

Dbl_D
09-05-2012, 01:05 PM
according to peter principle thought he had reached his peak... http://www.buzzflash.com/burns/04/11/bur04144.html

james
09-05-2012, 01:22 PM
This club i think is going to be to hard to continue to buy Season ticket for any more. The fact that i see this about Tom Anselmi "His passion for our teams and our fans makes Tom the perfect choice as President and COO of this great organization" its just discgusting. Bell and Rogers at this moment seem to not have a clue just like MLSE didn't have a clue how to connect with fans and how to create a winning team. These people should of been fired not kept around and praised for there achievements of last place finnishes and increase ticket prices while decrease attendence. Connection with the fans could not be any worse. Other teams like Portland or Seattle have connection with there fans and working with fans to create things like this:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/Portland-Tifo.jpg

http://le12ejoueur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Seattle-Sounders-Tifo-vs.-Portland-Timbers.jpg

and created a friendship with them and people that understand supporters culture. while TFC head office have been making it harder for fans to come in with flags they have even lost our banners and flags in the passed. Then while other teams have gotten cheap or even free ticekts for friendlies against International clubs TFC fans have paid an arm and a leg. We have higher prices then most teams and yet the other teams have actually played better then us (well every team in the league is better then us). We have not been rewarded for a loyalty as season ticket holders at all. I pretty much feal like i have been spat on by this club. I feal no connection with this organization and they praise this iddiot, this is a joke.

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Connection with the fans could not be any worse. Other teams like Portland or Seattle have connection with there fans and working with fans to create things like this:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/Portland-Tifo.jpg

http://le12ejoueur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Seattle-Sounders-Tifo-vs.-Portland-Timbers.jpg

and created a friendship with them and people that understand supporters culture. while TFC head office have been making it harder for fans to come in with flags they have even lost our banners and flags in the passed. Then while other teams have gotten cheap or even free ticekts for friendlies against International clubs TFC fans have paid an arm and a leg. We have higher prices then most teams and yet the other teams have actually played better then us (well every team in the league is better then us). We have not been rewarded for a loyalty as season ticket holders at all. I pretty much feal like i have been spat on by this club. I feal no connection with this organization and they praise this iddiot, this is a joke.

Not sure what those banners have to do with Portland FO. They allowed them in and help install hoists I suppose but the TA first had to commit to a project that needed that. We've never approached them on that kind of co-operation that I am aware of.

Dichio banner wasn't a problem. CCL neither. The time of the bad banner time restraints are over for us. For now, anyway.

TOBOR !
09-05-2012, 02:06 PM
any chance we could do a MLSE version of that Seattle 'decades of dominance' ?

it would say 'Decades of Defacation' and that big head behind the goal would be Anselmi.

james
09-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Not sure what those banners have to do with Portland FO. They allowed them in and help install hoists I suppose but the TA first had to commit to a project that needed that. We've never approached them on that kind of co-operation that I am aware of.

Dichio banner wasn't a problem. CCL neither. The time of the bad banner time restraints are over for us. For now, anyway.

i don't really know exactly where i was going with the banners, i guess just showing that while portland and Seattle were getting help from front office installing hoists to make these big banner tifos work, the security at BMO field was telling me i couldn't bring my flag into the stadium because flags had to be in the stadium 30minutes before kickoff and it was now 20mins before kickoff (at 1 point i think it was flags 45mins before kicloff). And why can we still to this day not take our flags through our normal gate 3 like we use to, does anyone seem to understand there reasoning why we can't????

james
09-05-2012, 03:15 PM
any chance we could do a MLSE version of that Seattle 'decades of dominance' ?

it would say 'Decades of Defacation' and that big head behind the goal would be Anselmi.

love it!

[NBF]
09-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Joey is actually a very good owner to have. He may be a billionaire, but he's not in footy for the money, he's in it because he loves the sport and wants it to grow in Quebec. He's the antithesis of ML$E in many ways.

Sure he'll make a buck if he can, but that's not his main motivation.

I think he's more of a fan of Parma in the 90's and the Parmalat company. I think in the end he wants his team to imulate that relationship that the team had with the company and the publicity of having your company on the team shirt being shown accross North America and beyond.

ensco
09-05-2012, 08:06 PM
One thing I didn't notice at first, but that is interesting, is that, as with any major Peddie-related announcement, Tanenbaum was completely AWOL yesterday (aside from the fact that he was quoted in the press release).

Which is sort of odd, it's the Chairman's job to gush over the new hire, deal with the question of the new reporting relationships, etc (the MLSE self-coronation thing, where the CEO/President discusses his corporate responsibilities, his own job security, etc, is not something you ever see anywhere else). The National Post story kind of conspicuously noted that Tanenbaum wasn't available for comment.

Larry never did it for Peddie because he couldn't stand Peddie (and therefore, I can never really go after Larry, he has a clue). I never thought Anselmi would be Larry's choice, because Anselmi was a Peddie-ite (jeez, that sounds vaguely illegal!) ...

So could this be a sign of a rift in the unholy tripartite alliance, right out of the gate?
*rubs hands together and smiles, because what else is there to talk about?*

yours in fomenting conspiracy theories
ensco
(often wrong, but never in doubt)

Redcoe15
09-05-2012, 09:06 PM
You know Scumbag Steve? Well, meet Turdbag Tom:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/victor_the_crab/TurdbagTom3-1.png?t=1346896557

You're welcome!

Want to create your own Turdbag Tom meme? Here's a blank:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/victor_the_crab/TurdbagTom3.jpg?t=1346896570

Have at 'er and go nuts!

greatwhitenorf
09-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I've been working on a cocktail called Grounds For Divorce.

Cheers, Tom.

You can raise one to The Seldom Seen Kids.

ag futbol
09-06-2012, 08:10 AM
I don't know how or when, but if history serves as any guide, all this convergence we're seeing in the sector will eventually go in the other direction. Seems like everyone who tries to control content eventually has it slip right through their fingers.

In my fantasy world, Hulu, google, and Netflix turn bell and rogers into blockbuster video... but i digress.

Beach_Red
09-06-2012, 08:51 AM
I don't know how or when, but if history serves as any guide, all this convergence we're seeing in the sector will eventually go in the other direction. Seems like everyone who tries to control content eventually has it slip right through their fingers.

In my fantasy world, Hulu, google, and Netflix turn bell and rogers into blockbuster video... but i digress.

Sure, but then Hulu, Google and Netflix will just start acting like Bell and Rogers.... ;)

Fort York Redcoat
09-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Sure, but then Hulu, Google and Netflix will just start acting like Bell and Rogers.... ;)

How cyclical.;)

OgtheDim
09-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Netflix acts like yahoo

Google acts like Apple circa 1990

Hulu acts like napster.

ryan
09-06-2012, 10:24 AM
chatting with my friend who's a rangers supporter and we came up with a tune

Welcome Owners
Toronto's Owners
No one likes you
You don't care
We hate Tommy
Corporate bastard
and we'll hate him forever

ag futbol
09-06-2012, 12:02 PM
How cyclical.;)
Just like sports! :stogey:

ensco
09-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Interesting to see this today. He would be at the top of any sports conglomerate's list of candidates for the President job. Maybe even a CEO job.

http://nyti.ms/TXE1nD

jloome
09-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Interesting to see this today. He would be at the top of any sports conglomerate's list of candidates for the President job. Maybe even a CEO job.

http://nyti.ms/TXE1nD

Sounds great...but I don't follow the NBA anymore. Did the Knicks win while he was there or just make money? Because Tom A. makes money (although this guy sounds great at leveraging support.)

ensco
09-06-2012, 05:20 PM
^I have no idea if he's any good or not. I have absolutely no reason to say this has anything to do with MLSE. But there's an unfilled hole here.

I just think it's interesting the way this laid out. Bogers had to announce something, so they did. But face it, Bogers dribbled the ball at centre court on this. The whole scenario may not have played out.

Beach_Red
09-06-2012, 05:48 PM
^ There has to be more coming. Remember, Bell is still in the middle of its takeover of Astral (a bigger deal - more money, anyway - than the purchase of MLSE) and there is a little opposition, at least.

jazzy
09-06-2012, 08:31 PM
;1526280']I think he's more of a fan of Parma in the 90's and the Parmalat company. I think in the end he wants his team to imulate that relationship that the team had with the company and the publicity of having your company on the team shirt being shown accross North America and beyond.

great concept....and then the company also wants to make the team BETTER

ensco
09-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Damien Cox confirms what BR and I say above. This hasn't played out yet. The CEO search continues. There will [pick one] possibly/probably/likely ... be a new CEO.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1252698--a-new-era-of-mlse-intrigue-unfolding

Caveat: even though we generally agree in this case, I find Cox to be a gasbag utterly beholden to his precious insider sources. In this case Larry. Cox's "assertion" that Tanenbaum would have given the CEO title to Anselmi can only have come from Tanenbaum, and is implausible. If Tanenbaum told him that, Larry would have reasons that don't necessarily have to do with the truth.

The scenario of bringing in a new CEO but leaving Anselmi in place, drives me nuts. It's, once again, forcing a new hire to accept subordinates, instead of picking his own team.

Oldtimer
09-07-2012, 07:13 AM
^ It will be interesting to see how this plays out. That will say a lot more about future direction than Anselmi's promotion.

ensco
09-07-2012, 07:19 AM
^ It will be interesting to see how this plays out. That will say a lot more about future direction than Anselmi's promotion.

Except that we now know that a new guy, if any, will be forced to work with Anselmi, and it's impossible to imagine Anselmi losing control of TFC in that scenario (the obvious focus of the CEO has to be the Leafs and Raps).

So the one and only thing we do know is that our poor little soccer team is effed for the foreseeable future.

bones
09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Except that we now know that a new guy, if any, will be forced to work with Anselmi, and it's impossible to imagine Anselmi losing control of TFC in that scenario (the obvious focus of the CEO has to be the Leafs and Raps).

So the one and only thing we do know is that our poor little soccer team is effed for the foreseeable future.

Until it's sold off. Seriously, Belgers now owns the content that people are actually watching. They don't have to bid on it. What % of watched content does TFC provide compared to Leafs/Raps? They could bring in big advertising bucks for Leafs/Raps and use TFC as a lesser priced ad time or just turf it since it will start to lose money in the next few years if they keep going the way they are price/losses wise.

Hitcho
09-07-2012, 10:08 PM
I view it as bad. People think he'll be more removed from TFC, but the problem is Tom will have responsibility for appointing someone to head up the TFC operation in his place. What is the one area where Tom has made the most damaging decisions over his time with TFC? Hiring. He has made decisions with respect to 7 coaches, whether those decisions were to hire, fire or extend, and I don't see too many good decisions in there. So there's nothing to make me feel good about him appointing his replacement.

This bothers me. I am very scared it could be accurate.