PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Monday, Sept. 3

Nerepis
09-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Injury-Hit TFC Can't Cope In KC (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/09/injury-hit-tfc-cant-cope-kc)

Sunshine Girl (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

Pookie
09-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Funny to me that we talk about our injuries yet AKC was without Collin and Bunbury. Yet, they have depth. We don't. The man hired to bring depth and who oversaw the summer transfer window didn't bring depth (though the mellberg deal was nixed by the league, IMO). In fact, he traded away 2 draft picks. The team still relies on a hyped up Academy and other club's cast-offs.

Mariner says: “Good teams have four or five options,” Mariner said. “We probably just have maybe one at the present moment which is not ideal"

Winter says: "we need better players" and gets raked for it. Mariner gets a free pass?

Oldtimer
09-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Mariner gets a free pass. The press love him. They didn't trust Winter's continental play, it wasn't straightforward, plus Aron doesn't have great English. Mariner's game is very easy to understand, and he's a likeable English guy. I'm sure he's a lot of fun to go to the pub with after a game. So yeah, he gets a free pass. They'll give him a year or two more of non-results before they blame him.

Also be prepared for a lot of flack from the press with the empty stadium next year. TFC fans will get called all sorts of nasty names for not renewing ("fair weather fans," etc.). There will be articles on how TFC was a "fad." The empty stadium will be blamed on fickle Torontonians, instead of on terrible results, poor future prospects, coupled with ML$E greed like it should be blamed on.

Fort York Redcoat
09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Canada vs Panama only days away!! Make sure you have your tix in 112!!

PM for details

CretanBull
09-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Also be prepared for a lot of flack from the press with the empty stadium next year. TFC fans will get called all sorts of nasty names for not renewing ("fair weather fans," etc.). There will be articles on how TFC was a "fad." The empty stadium will be blamed on fickle Torontonians, instead of on terrible results, poor future prospects, coupled with ML$E greed like it should be blamed on.

That's it for me. I can and will support a losing team, but I can't support being taken advantage of and being taken for granted. I had season tickets for the first 4 seasons, went to most of the games in season 5 but haven't been to a single game this year - and I'm not even watching the games on tv most of the time. I'm not happy about losing, but the things that really piss me off are the price gouging, the club exploiting its fans, the constant lying and the lame justifications for it all that they keep coming up with. The day Paul Beirne told me with a straight face that the reason TFC tickets were being bundled together with Marlies tickets (the "ransom packs") wasn't to exploit desperate TFC fans but rather to meet the needs of sports fans who were interested in both hockey and soccer, a part of my support soul died because I could no longer deny who and what I was dealing with. Being greedy isn't an easy thing to cop to, but lying to my face and talking to me like I'm stupid are unforgivable.

Super
09-03-2012, 12:53 PM
I'll renew, and I'll continue to go see every game that matters. When it's official that we're out of the play-offs is when I stop going. I'm not a cheerleader. I'm a supporter of the club. What these boneheads have done to my club leaves me foaming at the mouth. I don't give 2 shits about the individual players or coaches - they come and go. It's the club I support. And by "support" this does not mean accepting and applauding every damn thing the club does.

bgnewf
09-03-2012, 01:03 PM
​FRINGS DONE FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON??

http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/1357590 (http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/1357590)

Google Translation below:

For the former German international Torsten Frings the season is over the Canadian MLS club Toronto FC due to injury. The 35-year-old has been around two weeks to a hip injury. 'He always has more pain and therefore travels to Germany', Toronto coach Paul Mariner said on the sidelines of his team's 1-2 defeat at Sporting Kansas City

KGH
09-03-2012, 02:13 PM
I'll renew, and I'll continue to go see every game that matters. When it's official that we're out of the play-offs is when I stop going.

We currently sit at the bottom of the table with 21 points. There are 7 games left. The 2 teams in 4th and 5th both have 42 points and the team in 6th has 41. We would have to win out while hoping that any of those teams don't get to 43 points.

Im just hoping we don't pull a normal end of year run like the leafs and kill our #1 draft pick options. Anyone know who's coming out this year? It would be nice to get a GA on the books that could contribute and not take up cap space.

Super
09-03-2012, 02:16 PM
We currently sit at the bottom of the table with 21 points. There are 7 games left. The 2 teams in 4th and 5th both have 42 points and the team in 6th has 41. We would have to win out while hoping that any of those teams don't get to 43 points.

Im just hoping we don't pull a normal end of year run like the leafs and kill our #1 draft pick options. Anyone know who's coming out this year? It would be nice to get a GA on the books that could contribute and not take up cap space.

At this point it's definitely in our best interest to lose the rest of our games. No worries though - with Mariner at the helm I'm sure we'll do just that.

narduch
09-03-2012, 02:37 PM

Actually we are already eliminated because those teams play eachother.

maninb
09-04-2012, 07:16 AM
That's it for me. I can and will support a losing team, but I can't support being taken advantage of and being taken for granted. I had season tickets for the first 4 seasons, went to most of the games in season 5 but haven't been to a single game this year - and I'm not even watching the games on tv most of the time. I'm not happy about losing, but the things that really piss me off are the price gouging, the club exploiting its fans, the constant lying and the lame justifications for it all that they keep coming up with. The day Paul Beirne told me with a straight face that the reason TFC tickets were being bundled together with Marlies tickets (the "ransom packs") wasn't to exploit desperate TFC fans but rather to meet the needs of sports fans who were interested in both hockey and soccer, a part of my support soul died because I could no longer deny who and what I was dealing with. Being greedy isn't an easy thing to cop to, but lying to my face and talking to me like I'm stupid are unforgivable.

I'm with you mate...As long as Mariner remains in charge...I'm done....the incompetancy of this franchise is STAGGERING....

GBV
09-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I can and will support a losing team, but I can't support being taken advantage of

Yep that says it all for me.

Ultra & Proud
09-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Funny to me that we talk about our injuries yet AKC was without Collin and Bunbury. Yet, they have depth. We don't. The man hired to bring depth and who oversaw the summer transfer window didn't bring depth (though the mellberg deal was nixed by the league, IMO). In fact, he traded away 2 draft picks. The team still relies on a hyped up Academy and other club's cast-offs.

Mariner says: “Good teams have four or five options,” Mariner said. “We probably just have maybe one at the present moment which is not ideal"

Winter says: "we need better players" and gets raked for it. Mariner gets a free pass?
When a team carries 3 DPs, two of which didn't contribute much, then the rest of the roster is crippled financially. We don't get truckloads of magical allocation like LA & NY. I hope Mariner's understanding of how MLS works will lead him to dump and not add any more DPs. One maximum and then fill the roster with solid MLS proven players which we could then afford.

ag futbol
09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
When a team carries 3 DPs, two of which didn't contribute much, then the rest of the roster is crippled financially. We don't get truckloads of magical allocation like LA & NY. I hope Mariner's understanding of how MLS works will lead him to dump and not add any more DPs. One maximum and then fill the roster with solid MLS proven players which we could then afford.
I think that's unfounded.

If anything, they are just much, much wiser with their money.