PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Bocanegra

cincy
08-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Anyone else see the rumors on twitter about Bocanegra back to the MLS, and specifically Chicago Fire. Even though Toronto own the allocation pick.

Mcbride situation all over again ?

ryan
08-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Bocanegra will have zero desire to play in Toronto. Negative desire, he'll refuse.

Garber will want him back, so prepare for a special rule to hit any day now and he'll be in LA or Chivas. Perhaps Chicago. Anyone but Toronto I'm certain.

Suds
08-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Anyone else see the rumors on twitter about Bocanegra back to the MLS, and specifically Chicago Fire. Even though Toronto own the allocation pick.

If he does want to come back to the MLS I sure hope we get something of substance for his allocation pick.

Fort York Redcoat
08-29-2012, 10:33 AM
I guess because he played there already? No room at LA or NY? Good for Chicago. Let's go shopping!

RE-SIGN...

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/274/images.jpg

...THE GARGAN!

g:D

cmonyoureds
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Tommy's first question.........

Hey Don, what's this allocation pick worth anyway? Is it like a coupon for a discount? Or can I get a couple hundred bucks for it?

cmonyoureds
08-29-2012, 10:36 AM
If he does want to come back to the MLS I sure hope we get something of substance for his allocation pick.

Like a fourth goalie? 'Cause nothing surprises me anymore.......

Nuvinho
08-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Austin Berry, 1st rounder in 2013, and allocation maybe for Boca?

ryan
08-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Like a fourth goalie? 'Cause nothing surprises me anymore.......

We have 4. :(

brad
08-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Another case of a weird MLS rule that just doesn't work. What other league in the world tells players that want to return to the league what team they will play with?

It's there to enforce parity but does not work. Any returning MLS player of note will be able to dictate where they want to play. It's highly unlikely Canadian teams will be the first choice for a lot of these types of players, which puts us at another disadvantage.

ryan
08-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Another case of a weird MLS rule that just doesn't work. What other league in the world tells players that want to return to the league what team they will play with?

It's there to enforce parity but does not work. Any returning MLS player of note will be able to dictate where they want to play. It's highly unlikely Canadian teams will be the first choice for a lot of these types of players, which puts us at another disadvantage.

American league. They don't care.

Canary10
08-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Austin Berry, 1st rounder in 2013, and allocation maybe for Boca?

Austin Berry would be fantatic. We were idiots for not picking him up in this year's draft and addressing our number one problem.

reggie
08-29-2012, 11:35 AM
god help us..its E C and PM making the deals,maybe a back up C B or a backup keeper..jezzz

Yohan
08-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Austin Berry would be fantatic. We were idiots for not picking him up in this year's draft and addressing our number one problem.Berry benefited big time playing with some guy named Arne Friedrich

Canary10
08-29-2012, 11:57 AM
^ Yeah that's a fair assessment. I still think he looks on track to being a top player in this league though.

brad
08-29-2012, 12:27 PM
American league. They don't care.

In a league where revenues are shared - they should care about the fact that TFC is declining in popularity. Honestly though, I bet they would do the same thing if Canadian of note returned the league and wanted to play in Canada instead of the US. Not that there are any of those around....

It's not just a Can/US thing though. There are more and less desirable destinations in the US as well. Chicago are 6th on the allocation list - so unless Chivas, San Jose, DC and Portland are all passing on him, he's picking where he wants to go. Plenty of those Cities are great places though.

I was more thinking of Columbus when thinking of less desirable US locations :-)

brad
08-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Out of curiosity - if he comes back and MLS makes us broker a deal with Chicago again - do we go to the bottom of the allocation pile?

Fort York Redcoat
08-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Out of curiosity - if he comes back and MLS makes us broker a deal with Chicago again - do we go to the bottom of the allocation pile?

I would suspect or hope that we'd take their spot in the allocation pile.

arsenal
08-29-2012, 12:38 PM
If he gets a dp deal he bypasses allocation ...... Correct?

brad
08-29-2012, 12:41 PM
I would suspect or hope that we'd take their spot in the allocation pile.

If I recall the McBride deal - we actually got him, then trade him to Chicago by force. That would sort of imply that we were forced to give up our place in the allocation list.

Although we probably could have passed on him, not dealt with Chicago and kept our spot.

gracos
08-29-2012, 01:19 PM
I would be fairly disappointed if we recieved Berry, and a pick plus cash, for Bocanegra, if Carlos wants to reenter the MLS, he has to follow the rules, and not bend them to his favour

brad
08-29-2012, 01:21 PM
I would be fairly disappointed if we recieved Berry, and a pick plus cash, for Bocanegra, if Carlos wants to reenter the MLS, he has to follow the rules, and not bend them to his favour

Garber makes the rules up as he goes along. What ever generates interest in the league will win out over fairness.

moralis
08-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I would take allocation money and a 2014 1st round pick.

brad
08-29-2012, 03:28 PM

I actually think an allocation allowing us to match Bocanegra's contract (in terms of salary and duration) would be fair in this regard. In theory, these are going to be higher quality than the average MLS players coming back a lot of the time, so you should be given the freedom to get a similar tier of talent if you get screwed out of the deal - as opposed to having to trade for the best player you can get that the other team would release. Of course, we'd probably sign 3 more keepers from Bermuda with that allocation, but that is besides the point.

The other option I would support is if the team losing the player from the allocation is allowed to pick up whatever player from the opposition they want - without entering into negotiations with that team to get what they will give up.

ag futbol
08-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Think that's fair. We should gather assets where we can.

As others have alluded to though...MLS needs to end this farsical system. Pretty clear the guys coming back know their value and have the league by the balls when it comes to going where they want. They won't let a regular USMNT starter slip through the cracks while teams diddle over the details.

Gazza
08-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Garber created a new clause. The ABT clause. "Anywhere But Toronto."

jabbronies
08-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Leagues best interest has him going to a US team. Only make sense IMO. Former international will have more of an impact down south than he would here. League wants their international to come home and play for their teams. He did play 4 years in Chicago before leaving so it would make sense for him to go back there.

I think the only time this should be thought of otherwise would be if Mo Edu were to come back to MLS. Then I think there could be a case for him to come here. I would expect the league to make it happen as well.

prizby
08-29-2012, 11:43 PM
why all the austin berry...why not ask for Friedrich; him beside O'Dea would be sick...stick to Chicago and Bocanegra...fuck 'em...make them pay to get him

prizby
08-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Leagues best interest has him going to a US team. Only make sense IMO. Former international will have more of an impact down south than he would here. League wants their international to come home and play for their teams. He did play 4 years in Chicago before leaving so it would make sense for him to go back there.

I think the only time this should be thought of otherwise would be if Mo Edu were to come back to MLS. Then I think there could be a case for him to come here. I would expect the league to make it happen as well.

Jay DeMerit?

ensco
08-30-2012, 05:03 AM
^Edu going to Stoke. I was hopeful a TFC return might be the scenario. I was wasting my time thinking about it.

No way Garber allows that McBride scenario to play out that way again. That was stupid on the league's part. Any deal for the TFC allocation pick would be pre-arranged this time, before Bocanegra was signed (as happened with Johnson to Seattle)

brad
08-30-2012, 06:52 AM
^Edu going to Stoke. I was hopeful a TFC return might be the scenario. I was wasting my time thinking about it.

No way Garber allows that McBride scenario to play out that way again. That was stupid on the league's part. Any deal for the TFC allocation pick would be pre-arranged this time, before Bocanegra was signed (as happened with Johnson to Seattle)

What was the Johnson deal?

ensco
08-30-2012, 07:03 AM
^Eddie Johnson (to Seattle from Montreal via allocation and trade). All announced at once.

Canary10
08-30-2012, 08:30 AM
why all the austin berry...why not ask for Friedrich; him beside O'Dea would be sick...stick to Chicago and Bocanegra...fuck 'em...make them pay to get him

Because Berry's an effn' good player.

jabbronies
08-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Jay DeMerit?

Who never played in the MLS prior to this and has no ties to any other MLS team.

jloome
08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
^Eddie Johnson (to Seattle from Montreal via allocation and trade). All announced at once.

Having either lived or travelled basically everywhere on the friggin' planet at one time or another, I continue to be astonished by our national insecurity. That's what comes from growing up next door to the loud, sociopathic kid. People friggin' love Canada. Seriously. It's hard to go anywhere in the developed world and not find people who would prefer to move here over the U.S.

If players don't want to come to Toronto, it's not because it's Toronto and not "stylish" enough for them; it's because our front office sucks balls.

Alonso
08-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Having either lived or travelled basically everywhere on the friggin' planet at one time or another, I continue to be astonished by our national insecurity. That's what comes from growing up next door to the loud, sociopathic kid. People friggin' love Canada. Seriously. It's hard to go anywhere in the developed world and not find people who would prefer to move here over the U.S.

If players don't want to come to Toronto, it's not because it's Toronto and not "stylish" enough for them; it's because our front office sucks balls.

This.

And same goes for Raptors and Leafs.

The instant reaction from players in all these leagues is STAY AWAY FROM THAT FUCKERY!

No player in their right mind in the NHL, NBA, or MLS think "Hmmm, if I could go to any franchise in this league it would be Toronto" and it's because they're plagued with bad management.

ArmenJBX
08-31-2012, 03:21 PM
He just signed with Racing Santander.

brad
08-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Couldn't always pass until a guy you like comes back? Why sign and trade?

Pretty sure the allocation order resets each season. So unless you are sure someone is going to come along - passing would be giving up on a player or allocation money.

ArmenJBX
08-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah, exactly. You would need to have a solid target in mind and know they are coming in to pass. Otherwise it's a waste. If Bocanegra decided to come back to MLS, our best bet would be to trade the slot to whoever wants it most, and get a solid MLS player in exchange.

West220Side
08-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Watching Sky Sports News giving live coverage of deadline day... Ryan McGowan (defender) just spotted two minutes ago walking into Rangers training ground Murray Park, could that mean Carlos Bocanegra would be moved on? Doesn't seem likely, but wouldn't that deal need to be finalized in the next hour? (time left in the deadline)
Off-topic: David Templeton also just followed McGowan in.

West220Side
08-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Well, thought maybe he would be coming here, with Sky Sports News reporting he was cleaning out his locker. MLSSoccer is reporting that he's moved to spain.

Carlos BocanegraThere's continuing interest from England and France, but a source told MLSsoccer.com that the negotiating table was still waiting to see offers with nine hours left in the market.

Meanwhile, on Friday morning, a Spanish report claimed that second flight Racing Santander was on the verge of bringing Bocanegra to Spain.
The US captain has already spurned Eintracht Frankfurt and Olympiakos this summer. Bocanegra also entertained interest from at least two MLS clubs.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/08/31/american-exports-all-eyes-dempsey-transfer-day

69Chevy396
08-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Garber created a new clause. The ABT clause. "Anywhere But Toronto."
Can you blame him? The flame is burning out quickly, will there still be a team in Toronto in five years?

Richard
08-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Can you blame him? The flame is burning out quickly, will there still be a team in Toronto in five years?

Yes there will be a team, if Dallas can still have a team then i dont see why T.O wont. The owners have money.

coisty1966
09-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Some updated Boca info

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/carlos-bocanegra-could-return-to-rangers-1306970

Cheers