PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Monday, Aug. 27

Nerepis
08-27-2012, 05:32 AM
No News Today, post 'em if you got 'em.

TFC/MLS blogs thread (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread/page28)

Sunshine Girl (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

Pookie
08-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Source: MLS did nix the Mellberg deal

http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/8/27/3270118/source-mls-did-nix-the-mellberg-deal#storyjump

TOBOR !
08-27-2012, 07:14 AM
Canadian girls tumble out of U20 World Cup.

Canada scored early on, but succumbed to Korea DPR 2-1, while Argentina made a game of it before folding up their tent and going down 4-1 to Norway.

QF matchups are set, Korea DPR v USA looks to be the plum matchup here.

TOBOR !
08-27-2012, 07:17 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5181181/146408942_extra_large.jpg

Holy Fuck... to think that I was THIS CLOSE to signing on with that cowboy outfit... remind me to send a thank-you card to Garber

Yohan
08-27-2012, 08:14 AM

http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/8/27/3270118/source-mls-did-nix-the-mellberg-deal#storyjump
baffling, since MLS has signed a lot of no name players (Diego Chara? Mustapha Jarju?) to DP deals in recent years

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Only a couple of Fridays till match day!!

Get your Canada tix ordered for the the World Cup Qualifier vs Panama Sept. 7th!!

http://media.mmgdailies.topscms.com/images/44/73/9d331f4d477e821a689c67cb7033.jpg

link below:

Pookie
08-27-2012, 08:26 AM
baffling, since MLS has signed a lot of no name players (Diego Chara? Mustapha Jarju?) to DP deals in recent years

but only 1 of 53 signings have been a defender. If you look down the list, the majority seem to be forward/striker which would give the league "goals" and something to market from.

Yohan
08-27-2012, 08:54 AM
but only 1 of 53 signings have been a defender. If you look down the list, the majority seem to be forward/striker which would give the league "goals" and something to market from.

that's just silly. no freaking way any of no name DPs will be a bigger name than Mellberg in a few years, no matter how many goals they score

KGH
08-27-2012, 08:56 AM
And don't forget about todays Buytopia Deal...

http://www.buytopia.ca/deal/1683/?a_aid=news&chan=main-Toronto-16630&skip=true

If you felt undervalued as a SSH do not click on the link. On the bright side there's no way that ticket prices can stay were they are.

ryan
08-27-2012, 09:01 AM
MLS doesn't want defenders, they are so focused on upping the leagues "goals per game" that they simply don't want it. Considering TFC is the main reason why the GPG is soaring of late, I get why they don't want us to have a defender.

That said, fuck MLS fuck anyone that agrees with these salary rules. I'd rather a lopsided shit show like Europe than this corrupt, behind the scenes bullshit, fees favoring NY/LA, utter shitshow that Garber is wheeling right now. It's a fucking joke to all it's fans but most people are too blind or loyal to see it.

Of what fucking good is it to Toronto to be subjected to this shit? We have ownership that can outspend anyone but we have to play fair with the Columbus Crew and FC Dallas? Meanwhile LA and NY get all these special rules and deals? Yeah, sounds quality for us.

MLS is the worst league on the planet.

Richard
08-27-2012, 09:29 AM
So let me get this straight. Tfc has a defensive issue, we identify a player willing to come here that is near world class. League says he is not marketable or does not score goals so we cant sign him?

I would say +1 to the conspriacy theorists.

Yagbod
08-27-2012, 09:45 AM
And don't forget about todays Buytopia Deal...

http://www.buytopia.ca/deal/1683/?a_aid=news&chan=main-Toronto-16630&skip=true

If you felt undervalued as a SSH do not click on the link. On the bright side there's no way that ticket prices can stay were they are.

$12 for 12 Hardcore Kickboxing Classes in Downtown Toronto !!!!
Sounds like a good deal, but I think the link took me to the wrong page...

KGH
08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
$12 for 12 Hardcore Kickboxing Classes in Downtown Toronto !!!!

Sounds like a good deal, but I think the link took me to the wrong page...

$23 for 1 Ticket for an TFC Regular Season Game - Choose from 4 Dates! (http://click.deals.buytopia.ca/?qs=3bbeb5bea0d3a09625edbe5153e11e577ffffe2d2781ac 17e61303748d7d3685)

Buytopia Exclusive

Details:

September 12th for TFC v. Chicago Fire (Sections 105-127)
September 15th TFC v. Philadelphia Union (Sections 105-127)
October 6th TFC v. D.C. United (Sections 110-127)
October 20th TFC Montreal Impact (Section 105-127)
Toronto’s most exciting sports entertainment at a fraction of the cost
Watch your favourite players dribble, kick and head butt their way to victory
Fun for the entire family

Nope. It's back. Try clicking again. http://www.buytopia.ca/deal/1683/?a_aid=news&chan=main-Toronto-16630&skip=true

VoxPopuliCosmicum
08-27-2012, 10:02 AM

Sorry, but in a world where I can get a detailed, verbatim account of the conspiracy and lies by which wars are started, I am a little sceptical about an Mellberg-to-TFC story that doesn't cite any facts. Instead, we have an anonymous allegation without even a direct quote or an explanation of the mechanism by which -- if there was, in fact, cap room and a deal had been reached between player and club -- the league "nixed" the deal. If, for example, the Mellberg signing was contingent on TFC getting magical allocation money from the league, that would be useful information for a story such as this.

Yagbod
08-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Nope. It's back. Try clicking again. http://www.buytopia.ca/deal/1683/?a_aid=news&chan=main-Toronto-16630&skip=true

Thanks, that worked. I love whomever writes the blurbs for these sites. Is it TFC themselves I wonder: "Taste the excitement and feel the roar of the crowd captivate you with Toronto Football Club’s passion filled mastery of the game of football."

Too rich. :)

Ageroo
08-27-2012, 10:22 AM
$23 for 1 Ticket for an TFC Regular Season Game - Choose from 4 Dates! (http://click.deals.buytopia.ca/?qs=3bbeb5bea0d3a09625edbe5153e11e577ffffe2d2781ac 17e61303748d7d3685)

Buytopia Exclusive

Details:

September 12th for TFC v. Chicago Fire (Sections 105-127)
September 15th TFC v. Philadelphia Union (Sections 105-127)
October 6th TFC v. D.C. United (Sections 110-127)
October 20th TFC Montreal Impact (Section 105-127)
Toronto’s most exciting sports entertainment at a fraction of the cost
Watch your favourite players dribble, kick and head butt their way to victory
Fun for the entire family

Head Butt their way to victory.......this is classic. haha

ryan
08-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Our players certainly do not dribble.

Super
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM
We all kinda knew that the league nixed the deal. At least I've had plenty of rants about it on here. I can only say that I'm extremely unhappy with the league meddling with our club this way, and then to lie to the fans about it? Absolutely and completely unacceptable. We, the supporters of TFC, should demand an apology from Garber. This is disrespect in the highest form, and I have lost all trust in Garber AND the MLS. Quite frankly, I hope that Garber won't show his lying sack of shit face around here again. And if he does, I hope people give him a piece of their mind.

bones
08-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Sorry, but in a world where I can get a detailed, verbatim account of the conspiracy and lies by which wars are started, I am a little sceptical about an Mellberg-to-TFC story that doesn't cite any facts. Instead, we have an anonymous allegation without even a direct quote or an explanation of the mechanism by which -- if there was, in fact, cap room and a deal had been reached between player and club -- the league "nixed" the deal. If, for example, the Mellberg signing was contingent on TFC getting magical allocation money from the league, that would be useful information for a story such as this.

That combined with the very hush hush of ML$E too! Come on, something isn't right internally here if MLS killed it and ML$E were not all over it. That just doesn't add up to me either.

invictusTFC
08-27-2012, 11:12 AM
I think if either LA or NY had this deal set in place with Melberg, MLS would have bent over backwards to santion it.

Canary10
08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
If it's about selling seats, why is Hamdi Salihi a DP? Just because he's a forward doesn't mean anyone gives a shit. And what happens with Nesta's contract next year? Isn't the rumour that he's a DP next year?

At any rate, although I agree MLS shouldn't dictate how a club spends its money, this story is really just a rehash of what Duane Rollins and others have already said from the beginning. Not sure what's new here.

TFC07
08-27-2012, 11:31 AM
People say MLS is OUR league? lol

MLS is an American league and favouring American teams over Canadian teams even though Canadian teams are bringing in a lot of money to the league to save half American teams who aren't making money. Plus, given TV ratings are better in Canada than it is in USA you would think MLS wouldn't want to piss off Canadian soccer fanbase.

Pookie
08-27-2012, 11:31 AM

It's a fair point. A source is simply a source and I am not able to provide the details as to whom it is, as that was the condition of the interview. So in the end, it's up to each of us as to whether we believe it.

For me, I approached this story from a completely different angle in requesting the interview. I wondered if it had anything to do with the DP slot being used on Hassli. I was given the perspective that I shared with you. I then started to look into the numbers, the DP signings since the rule came into being. 53 signings. 1 Defender. 1 GK. That's it. Not just TFC, all teams. Are there no defenders out there worthy of DP status? If so, why are they not in the league? Do these stats give any credibility to what happened according to the source? Again, you have to decide.

For me though, I've given up hope in thinking that the DP slot can ever be used on a CB. Partly based on what was alleged in the interview and partly because of the history of DP signings. I'd rate it about as likely as the Leafs winning the Cup this year.

TFC07
08-27-2012, 11:34 AM
MLS doesn't want defenders, they are so focused on upping the leagues "goals per game" that they simply don't want it. Considering TFC is the main reason why the GPG is soaring of late, I get why they don't want us to have a defender.

That said, fuck MLS fuck anyone that agrees with these salary rules. I'd rather a lopsided shit show like Europe than this corrupt, behind the scenes bullshit, fees favoring NY/LA, utter shitshow that Garber is wheeling right now. It's a fucking joke to all it's fans but most people are too blind or loyal to see it.

Of what fucking good is it to Toronto to be subjected to this shit? We have ownership that can outspend anyone but we have to play fair with the Columbus Crew and FC Dallas? Meanwhile LA and NY get all these special rules and deals? Yeah, sounds quality for us.

MLS is the worst league on the planet.

If Toronto was an American team it would be a different story. This is why in long haul I hope TFC (and other MLS and NASL teams) leave and form their own league (Canadian soccer league) in the long haul where we can keep wealth in Canada and don't have to worry about saving half of MLS teams by sharing our wealth (revenue) with them.

Richard
08-27-2012, 11:57 AM

MLS is an American league and favouring American teams over Canadian teams even though Canadian teams are bringing in a lot of money to the league to save half American teams who aren't making money. Plus, given TV ratings are better in Canada than it is in USA you would think MLS wouldn't want to piss off Canadian soccer fanbase.

Thats sounds very familiar.

DangerRed
08-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Our players certainly do not dribble.

Agreed. Nor do they win. Perhaps head-butting IS the key to success?

brad
08-27-2012, 12:17 PM
On the whole league nixing defensive DP's, I think it needs to be looked at through a number of potential motives.

A big name is a big name. It brings it will likely bring its financial windfall regardless of the position. Nesta is such a name, Mellberg is not IMHO. On non-big name DP's. I can think of a few possible lines of reasoning here. Attacking players are more likely to sell seats. This comes through a number of avenues:

*highlight reel moments. Virtually nobody know Hassli before he came to the league, but he puts up highlight reel quality stuff that is worth it's weight in marketing gold. His volley against Seattle last here topped highlight reel shows around the world.

*Theoretically increasing the quality of attacking players (assuming you buy well) and the opportunity cost of not buying top tier talent for the defense. Both should theoretically increase the number of goals per game. I can't help but think of the most common complaint I have heard over the last couple of decades watching the game in North America from non-soccer types. It's something on the order of "Soccer is boring, nothing ever happens - the games are all 1-0". Which is to say that many non-soccer supporting North Americans who could be potential fans of the game judge quality based on how many goals are scored. Driving up scorelines could be seen as a way to attract more of those folks into the fold.

*the other obvious one is the opportunity cost on Mellberg. A big question I have is if it was Hassli or Mellberg from the MLS's perspective. I've wondered about this for a while. If that was indeed the choice, then the MLS is looking at it saying "Sign a defender that will have very little financial gain to the league, or keep the guy that scores highlight reel goals and gets us PR around the world playing in the league"

jabbronies
08-27-2012, 01:01 PM
If Toronto was an American team it would be a different story. This is why in long haul I hope TFC (and other MLS and NASL teams) leave and form their own league (Canadian soccer league) in the long haul where we can keep wealth in Canada and don't have to worry about saving half of MLS teams by sharing our wealth (revenue) with them.

Doesn't the CSL already exist. And isn't already a shitty league that no one watches? Why do we need another shitty Canadian league that no one watches?

TFC07
08-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Doesn't the CSL already exist. And isn't already a shitty league that no one watches? Why do we need another shitty Canadian league that no one watches?

CSL is third division league (even then, most if not all teams are from GTA). We don't have a first division league in Canada. There obviously be a difference in quality since there will be more money invested in first division league than third division league. So quality might not be "shit" compare to rest of CONCACAF.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2012, 01:17 PM

MLS was most definitely created to help US Soccer but there is more than just anti Candianism to this story. The Hassli example doesn't account for Frings. Any team would've taken him. Toronto and the other Canadian may take of themselves but people come out more for LA, NY and now Portland.

I'd love to have a true national league but it takes the existing groups co-operating with a belief that it could grow conservatively. Just as important is the realigning of supporters expectations at level of play. A true CSL would still need to start as a Div3 league. I'd follow it but how many others?

TOBOR !
08-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Taste the excitement and feel the roar of the crowd captivate you with Toronto Football Club’s passion filled mastery of the game of football. Now that you have learned your lesson and expanded your worldly knowledge, embarrassing situations are a thing of the past. Now put away that mallet; though the name may be misleading, the game of squash is a little safer than you think.

what ?

Gazza
08-27-2012, 02:01 PM
These deal sites all use the same style of copywrite that Groupon uses. They are written by struggling stand-up comedians. They are supposed to be funny.

Huyton
08-27-2012, 08:19 PM
I find it odd that the people who say there is not enough scoring in football are the same ones who will wax lyrical for days on end about a no-hitter or a pitchers duel that goes into extra innings.