PDA

View Full Version : Is Mariner freezing out Kocic?

jloome
08-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Aside from his aerial ability, which needs work, I think Kocic is one of the best keepers in the league.

Is Mariner freezing him out? He says in this story he hasn't decided yet who will start, but that both are healthy. Anyone who's seen Freddy Hall so far might be wondering what the hell he's smoking.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/08/24/tfcs-mariner-we-just-have-put-90-minutes-together

ArmenJBX
08-24-2012, 09:09 PM
He's starting Wiedeman instead of Eric Avila. He's not starting Quincy Amarikwa and he's leaving him on the bench far too late to make an impact. He's put a rightback at CB and a Centerback at RB. He's replacing Kocic with Freddy Hall. He took us back to hoofball 4-4-2, the most amateur and pathetic style of football on the planet. Which would be alright, if we were winning...but we're not.

And yet, somehow, this is the appropriate choice for manager.
If I'm not the next head coach, this team is done.

TFC07
08-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Maybe Mariner is favouring Hall simply because he's trying to justify Hall signing?

TFC07
08-24-2012, 09:18 PM
He's starting Wiedeman instead of Eric Avila. He's not starting Quincy Amarikwa and he's leaving him on the bench far too late to make an impact. He's put a rightback at CB and a Centerback at RB. He's replacing Kocic with Freddy Hall. He took us back to hoofball 4-4-2, the most amateur and pathetic style of football on the planet. Which would be alright, if we were winning...but we're not.

Funny post coming from you when you were supporting and defending him not too long ago. lol

iy12l
08-24-2012, 09:18 PM
I donk know why Mariner prefers players like Dunfield, Weideman, Freddy Hall, Maund, and Amarikwa over players like Soolsma, Plata, Avila, Kocic, Stinson and Cordon. I remember hearing Mariner say last year that youth from the academy has more potential than players coming out from superdraft. Then why is he playing Maund over Stinson? Looks like Cordon, Makabuya, Roberts, and Linsay's carrer is over thanks to Mariner.

TFC07
08-24-2012, 09:34 PM
I donk know why Mariner prefers players like Dunfield, Weideman, Freddy Hall, Maund, and Amarikwa over players like Soolsma, Plata, Avila, Kocic, Stinson and Cordon. I remember hearing Mariner say last year that youth from the academy has more potential than players coming out from superdraft. Then why is he playing Maund over Stinson? Looks like Cordon, Makabuya, Roberts, and Linsay's carrer is over thanks to Mariner.

It just shows you how much Mariner has lied to us and perhaps MLSE. Mariner needs to be fired now! He shouldn't never gotten hired in the first place if he didn't believe what TFC were trying to accomplish.

ArmenJBX
08-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Funny post coming from you when you were supporting and defending him not too long ago. lol

How quickly we can be deceived :(

I saw two games of proper football and then slowly, old habits came back. Passes backwards by Dunfield. Passes constantly back to the goalkeeper. Hoofing the ball up the field. No more midfield play. No more wing play.

It's enough to convince me otherwise.

T-boy
08-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Cordon has never really had a career at TFC (2 games last season, I think?), neither has Makabuya, or Roberts, and Lindsay has been injured! Even before Mariner, none of these were ever regular players for the club.

And by the looks of the academy, some of the younger players still in the academy, are going to have a far brighter career than the likes of Cordon and Makabuya.

As for Kocic - many people on here were saying that he needs competition for his place (its NEVER good at any football club to have one goally with nobody competing) - we now have Hall, and Kocic needs to keep up his form. Nothing wrong with a bit of competition for places. Hall hasn't looked bad, so there's no reason to think he can't be a decent keeper. His distribution the other night was certainly better than I've seen from Kocic.

OgtheDim
08-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Hall's communication ability with the defenders is negligible. Needs to talk/yell/cajole/support a lot more.

prizby
08-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Hall's communication ability with the defenders is negligible. Needs to talk/yell/cajole/support a lot more.

was at a community practice...freddy was the loudest on the pitch

one game and we are already jumping out with threads wow

Richard
08-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Kocic has earned his position on this team, yes Frie's injury pushed it forward but overall he played well in the ccl to show TFC he is a capable GK. I hope Hall started only to rest Kocic from mental fatigue, otherwise its not advisable to throw a player into the position without them earning it first unless they are miles better. It however may be a bit foolish on out part to immediately attack Mariner, the season is finished and maybe he is trialing certain players to get a better feeling. Although i agree with Armen and i tend to think this is another case of managment having no idea what they are doing.

ag futbol
08-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Don't think there's anything to this. I heard something a little while ago that suggested he might have to take a personal day or two, but nothing that would change his ability to play for us.

SirBobSaget
08-25-2012, 12:24 AM
If the season is done then why not give the signed academy grads Roberts, Henry, Stinson, Cordon, Makayuba some time? Nope Mariner prefers to trot out other MLS team's reject players over giving young Canadians a shot.

Winter played them, Mariner is doing all he can to get immediate results and that's working out grand!

Yohan
08-25-2012, 04:18 AM
If the season is done then why not give the signed academy grads Roberts, Henry, Stinson, Cordon, Makayuba some time? Nope Mariner prefers to trot out other MLS team's reject players over giving young Canadians a shot.

Winter played them, Mariner is doing all he can to get immediate results and that's working out grand!Stinson and Cordon haven't done anything to show they deserve game time

Pookie
08-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Best not to believe marketing statements like that. Simply isn't true.

Imagine the team we would have had if we kept these 1st round Superdraft picks that we made (or could have made):

2007 - Maurice Edu (*understandably transfered)
2008 - Brek Shea - we traded this pick for midfielder Richard Mulrooney
2009 - Sam Cronin - we traded Cronin for cash considerations
2009 - Chris Pontius - well, we took O'brien White instead 3 places higher
2009 - Stefan Frei
2010 - Zach Loyd - defender with USMNT and regular for FC Dallas, we traded this pick for Adrian Serioux who played 26 games
2011 - Will Bruin - Bruin was available at the time of our draft position but we couldn't pick him because we traded that pick to Vancouver for Nathan Sturgis. Vancouver selected Nanchoff

Mariner is trying to say that kids coming out of the newly formed Academy will have more potential than players on that list?

[NBF]
08-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Mariner says some strange shit. He seems like an arrogant old cunt. I think he's in the same position as Mo Johnston, he's only trying to buy another 6 months to his contract with every new promise or signing.

In reality this team has never used the Superdraft appropriately and now that we've given away more drafts picks there's no more future to this team.

OgtheDim
08-25-2012, 09:18 AM
was at a community practice...freddy was the loudest on the pitch

one game and we are already jumping out with threads wow

community practice vs. game this week......which do we use as evidence so far?

As I said, he NEEDS to do this a lot more. Hopefully he does.

Kocic is very vocal.

jazzy
08-25-2012, 09:42 AM

good points except the last,...lol really can't understand any of this.....excepting his basic knowledge of football seems to be 1970 English,....thats all,.....as much as I find that to be ridiculously simple and surely to god not true?... ..what else is the answer?...............British soccer at it's worst.....check out Swansea to see the best 'team' concept.and new so to speak......so the british don't go nuts on me.....hahah

Fort York Redcoat
08-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Playing Hall is like running out the kids. He's Mariner's aquisition so ya he wants to see if he can be a staunch backup.

Doesn't change Kocic is the number one without doubt.
Doesn't change that Q (Roberts) got a bum deal. Looks like Mariner didn't see enough talent or experience with Q.

jabbronies
08-25-2012, 10:14 AM
When a team has nothing left to play for, coaches/managers in most sports will rest their stars in order to get younger, unproven and bench players a chance to develop under real game situations. It's a pretty common practice. Would make sense for TFC to do the same.

bman27
08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
If I remember correctly, wasn't Kocic's wife expecting or just had a child? it would make sense if he might need some time off here and there

Redpunkfiddle
08-25-2012, 11:18 AM

ArmenJBX
08-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Just kidding around :D

jazzy
08-25-2012, 11:36 AM
BTW isn't Mariner freezing out everyone?.....or make that anyone who can hold the ball?

Richard
08-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Playing Hall is like running out the kids. He's Mariner's aquisition so ya he wants to see if he can be a staunch backup.

Doesn't change Kocic is the number one without doubt.
Doesn't change that Q (Roberts) got a bum deal. Looks like Mariner didn't see enough talent or experience with Q.

Isnt Q 18 years old? I would say he is being protected if anything by not playing at this time. He was an emergency signing at the time.

Oldtimer
08-25-2012, 12:52 PM
BTW isn't Mariner freezing out everyone?.....or make that anyone who can hold the ball?

Like Preki, PM has an irrational love for unskilled players who "try hard." Unlike Preki, he doesn't have a coherent tactical plan apart from "boot the ball down the field and try to score. " Boring as it was, Preki at least had a tactical plan. His failure was more due to his personality than due to his tactics (although his tactics are dated in the modern MLS).
Anyway, PM has lost the dressing room, the players barely listen to him, and he managed to do that faster than Preki! That's an accomplishment of sorts.

narduch
08-25-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm not impressed with Mariner and want him out.

I'm a bit worried that he will stick around for next season.

But with supposed moves like this, Mariner appears to be digging his own grave.

Jeff s
08-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Cordon has never really had a career at TFC (2 games last season, I think?), neither has Makabuya, or Roberts, and Lindsay has been injured! Even before Mariner, none of these were ever regular players for the club.

And by the looks of the academy, some of the younger players still in the academy, are going to have a far brighter career than the likes of Cordon and Makabuya.

I'm sorry but this one of the most bullshit thing I've read in this forum.

All the players you mentioned aren't even 20 years old and you're already saying they have no career here? Seriously? Have you ever heard of a 17 year old GK starting? Lindsay was starting games before his injury as well.

Cordon and Makabuya is better than some of the shit we have right now, not their fault mariner is an idiot.

if players like Weedman can play, than so can these guys. And they SHOULD be playing. The season is done. They need to be given game time experience.

Davenport
08-25-2012, 07:49 PM
When a team has nothing left to play for, coaches/managers in most sports will rest their stars in order to get younger, unproven and bench players a chance to develop under real game situations. It's a pretty common practice. Would make sense for TFC to do the same.

Problem is we've got no stars to rest, and on most teams our best XI would be unproven bench players.

jabbronies
08-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Problem is we've got no stars to rest, and on most teams our best XI would be unproven bench players.

Hassli and Frings rested today. They actually didn't even fly with the team!
At the end of the day Frei will be the number 1 goalie. Kocic or Hall will be number 2 and the other will be traded.

Playing Hall now builds his stock value if they decide to use him as trade bait. Or you could consider this his trail period to see if he is worth keeping around.

ag futbol
08-26-2012, 02:32 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that... Frei might be a better shot stopper but his command of the box needs a lot of work.

Kocic is the number 1 IMO

narduch
08-26-2012, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that... Frei might be a better shot stopper but his command of the box needs a lot of work.

Kocic is the number 1 IMO

A few weeks back, Larson hinted on twitter that Frei is still the number one.

I could see Kocic being moved and Hall being Frei's back up next season.

Canary10
08-26-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm personally not a fan of changing goalkeepers. It's not like hockey, your starting keeper should be able to play every game. I've seen nothing in Hall so far either.

lobo
08-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Like Preki, PM has an irrational love for unskilled players who "try hard." Unlike Preki, he doesn't have a coherent tactical plan apart from "boot the ball down the field and try to score. " Boring as it was, Preki at least had a tactical plan. His failure was more due to his personality than due to his tactics (although his tactics are dated in the modern MLS).
Anyway, PM has lost the dressing room, the players barely listen to him, and he managed to do that faster than Preki! That's an accomplishment of sorts.

how do we know this? source?

Auzzy
08-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Kocic contract dispute rumour... This from Paul Mariner's best buddy as of late, Kurtis Larson:

"TFC scores late to secure a draw in Houston"
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/25/tfc-scores-late-to-secure-a-draw-in-houston

It was Hall’s second consecutive start this season in place of new No. 1 Milos Kocic, who is rumoured to be in a contract dispute with the Reds ahead of next season, particularly with Stefan Frei close to a return after suffering a leg fracture earlier this year.

narduch
08-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Kocic contract dispute rumour... This from Paul Mariner's best buddy as of late, Kurtis Larson:

"TFC scores late to secure a draw in Houston"
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/25/tfc-scores-late-to-secure-a-draw-in-houston

Nice find. Totally missed that.

Classic TFC there.

It explains the Kocic situation and shows that the shit show of our FO continues.

Furtado91
08-26-2012, 04:08 PM
If they Get rid of Kocic and PM is even remotely the cause of it. MY top is gonna pop. he is my favourite player, and in my opinion one of the few that try really hard AND have skill. he has both which is a winning combination, unfortunately He cannot do defense and goalkeep by himself. sometimes i wonder if we are better off just putting pylons in place of a few players.

moralis
08-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Remember guys Milos Kosic is making $44,100 this season and his wife just gave birth to twins, so he has three children to support. Can't really support your family with just $44,100 a year. For me he deserves to make double $80,000. Stefan Frei makes $120,000 this season.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/August 1, 2012 Salary Information - By Club.pdf (http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/August%201,%202012%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf)

Richard
08-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Remember guys Milos Kosic is making $44,100 this season and his wife just gave birth to twins, so he has three children to support. Can't really support your family with just $44,100 a year. For me he deserves to make double $80,000. Stefan Frei makes $120,000 this season.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/August 1, 2012 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

I agree, he should be making 150k atleast.

Blizzard
08-26-2012, 05:02 PM

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/August 1, 2012 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

I thought they were having triplets. He certainly deserves to triple his salary. 44.1k is a total joke.

Oldtimer
08-26-2012, 06:37 PM
how do we know this? source?

Listen to PM's own complaints after the last few matches where he says that the players didn't follow his plan.

lobo
08-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Listen to PM's own complaints after the last few matches where he says that the players didn't follow his plan.

i'll take your word for it ... i've stopped listening to mariner too

ag futbol
08-26-2012, 11:53 PM

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/August 1, 2012 Salary Information - By Club.pdf (http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/August%201,%202012%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf)
Thanks, that's the info I heard but didn't want to post. Only difference is I heard it was triplets (yikes).

I can only hope that the club for once pulls its head out of its ass and shows some perspective. He could be here a long time and provide us stability. 80-120 not unreasonable IMO and would actually show players that we can act in good faith.

ryan
08-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks, that's the info I heard but didn't want to post. Only difference is I heard it was triplets (yikes).

I can only hope that the club for once pulls its head out of its ass and shows some perspective. He could be here a long time and provide us stability. 80-120 not unreasonable IMO and would actually show players that we can act in good faith.

We have to move a GK out. We can't have 350K tied up in 4 keepers. Hall will stay because he's Mariner's boy. Frei or Kocic is going to go and I think this makes the decision easy. Would love to see Milos go to a decent club who needs GK help, like LA.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2012, 08:37 AM
We have to move a GK out. We can't have 350K tied up in 4 keepers. Hall will stay because he's Mariner's boy. Frei or Kocic is going to go and I think this makes the decision easy. Would love to see Milos go to a decent club who needs GK help, like LA.

This is concerning. Ryan, it makes me anxious putting faith in Frei's health unless we can can drastically improve the back line. I don't understand the Hall signing and rue the obvious favour over Q.

I understand though we've been dealt a blow to try and move Frei after his injury.

Joe Kool
08-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Personally, I don't think they should have signed Hall at all and it is nothing against him. They should have given that money to Kocic to keep him happy and kept Roberts as number 2. If for some reason Roberts needed to fill in then so be it and it would have been a learning experience. It's not like we were fighting for a playoff spot and needed Hall that bad for his experience over Roberts. If all went well we could have seen out the year with Kocic and Roberts then evaluate Frei in the off season then decide what to do. Now this looks like another FO clusterfuck....pardon my French.

Yohan
08-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Does anyone know if Kocic has Canadian residency or US green card?

prizby
08-27-2012, 09:15 AM
^ should have US card

jabbronies
08-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Kocic is a number 1 keeper. he's proven that this season.
TFC expect Frei back next season, he's also a number 1 keeper.

You can't have 2 starting keepers on the bench. TFC is best to get rid of one or the other and get something of value back (MLS starting midfielder or defender). This is basic football management.
IMO both goalies are equals. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Neither is superior to the other. As much as I think Kocic did a great job this season, I would keep Frei. I think Kocic has more trade value at the moment.

Yohan
08-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Kocic is a number 1 keeper. he's proven that this season.
TFC expect Frei back next season, he's also a number 1 keeper.

You can't have 2 starting keepers on the bench. TFC is best to get rid of one or the other and get something of value back (MLS starting midfielder or defender). This is basic football management.
IMO both goalies are equals. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Neither is superior to the other. As much as I think Kocic did a great job this season, I would keep Frei. I think Kocic has more trade value at the moment.

highly doubt you'll be able to get a starter out of Frei or Kocic, unless the team is really desperate. Keepers are pretty easy to find in MLS. heck, even the best GKs in MLS aren't guaranteed to stay at their team

cmonyoureds
08-27-2012, 09:33 AM

Didn't you know he said it was only going to be a few tweaks before we are challenging for trophies? Maybe these are the tweaks that will lead to those trophies.........

And this "lost the dressing room" stuff showing up now, surely the man hugs/ back pats/ jumping hugs etc are more than enough to prove he's a players coach and they love him? Right? *crickets*

ryan
08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
This is concerning. Ryan, it makes me anxious putting faith in Frei's health unless we can can drastically improve the back line. I don't understand the Hall signing and rue the obvious favour over Q.

I understand though we've been dealt a blow to try and move Frei after his injury.

Frei still has what, 7 months to recover? I think he'll be okay for first kick 2013. Hall should be able to fill the void until then...I think.

TFC makes moves based on ticket sales, not football. Frei is a bigger win there I think. Fans have loved him and will embrace his "comeback"...not to say they don't love Milos either, but I think he's got the edge in the "ticket sales" battles...which is all that matters for personnel.

highly doubt you'll be able to get a starter out of Frei or Kocic, unless the team is really desperate. Keepers are pretty easy to find in MLS. heck, even the best GKs in MLS aren't guaranteed to stay at their team

If they were that easy, Saunders would not be starting in LA.

Yohan
08-27-2012, 09:51 AM
If they were that easy, Saunders would not be starting in LA.
Saunders is starter material. He had personal issues which he needed therapy for this season.

Dallas found Hartman released from KC. Jon Busch also got released by Chicago. Joe Cannon bounces around. Heck, even Donovan Ricketts is on his third team in a year. If you look hard enough, there are plenty of decent keepers to be found.

ryan
08-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Saunders is starter material. He had personal issues which he needed therapy for this season.

Dallas found Hartman released from KC. Jon Busch also got released by Chicago. Joe Cannon bounces around. Heck, even Donovan Ricketts is on his third team in a year. If you look hard enough, there are plenty of decent keepers to be found.

I still haven't been impressed with him this whole year, I dunno.

Hartman and Cannon make 165K, Ricketts 250K. Also 5-8 years older than Kocic. He's clearly a better option when I presume he'd work for less than those 3 and has probably his best yet to come, no?

Yohan
08-27-2012, 10:13 AM

Hartman and Cannon make 165K, Ricketts 250K. Also 5-8 years older than Kocic. He's clearly a better option when I presume he'd work for less than those 3 and has probably his best yet to come, no?
I still think no team is willing to give up a first rd pick or decent allocation or a starter unless hes part of a salary dump or has baggage

ryan
08-27-2012, 10:25 AM
I still think no team is willing to give up a first rd pick or decent allocation or a starter unless hes part of a salary dump or has baggage

We love baggage in Toronto. :)

TFC07
08-27-2012, 11:27 AM
That midseason goalkeeper signing is going to cost either Frei or Kocic. Once again, mismanagement from TFC FO hurting this team in long haul.

Whoop
08-27-2012, 11:47 AM
As per Molinaro, it appears Hall will get the start tomorrow.

Pookie
08-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Just going to throw this out there, Kocic's save percentage isn't all that great. I know getting fired at from point blank doesn't help.

That said, amongst Keepers with +1000 minutes, Kocic ranks 18th in that category (64%). Columbus' Andy Gruenebaum, a team also not in the playoffs, sits 4th (75%).

v00d00daddy
08-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Yup

“@JohnMolinaro: Sounds like Freddy Hall will start versus Santos tomorrow. #TFC”

Kinda bizzarre. Same old TFC

I'd be pissed if I were Kocic. Unless its an injury issue or something.

If Mariner is choosing Hall over Kocic based on performance then he's a fucking moron. Plain and simple.

Kocic steps in and performs so well that he convinces most that he's a starter in this league and he's rewarded by being bumped by a keeper who looks just like a backup.

Wtf is happening?

Canary10
08-27-2012, 11:56 AM
^ I think what we're seeing is Mariner carries grudges. He'll take it out on players he feels crosses him. No way in hell is Hall a better decision to give the team the best chance to win in advance of huge game than Kocic.

Ed: Ha! I was beaten to it.

v00d00daddy
08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Just going to throw this out there, Kocic's save percentage isn't all that great. I know getting fired at from point blank doesn't help.

That said, amongst Keepers with +1000 minutes, Kocic ranks 18th in that category (64%). Columbus' Andy Gruenebaum, a team also not in the playoffs, sits 4th (75%).

What does this have to do with anything?

Does any of that information indicate to you that Hall is a better option?

moralis
08-27-2012, 12:11 PM
This is the most stupidest decision Mariner has made since he started coaching: So pissed with this decision.

This is Santos Laguna not some shitty Central American team. Kosic knows how to play against Santos Laguna. He saved our asses against Santos Laguna when we tied them 1-1 at BMO Field.

Watch, it will be a long night for TFC fans tomorrow at BMO field. I guess we will really see what Freddy Hall is made off. Trust me it wont be good.

T-boy
08-27-2012, 12:20 PM
I think every manager wants to bring in "their players". We saw that with Winter - Soolsma and Martina were clearly this guys. It happens whenever a new coach comes in. It's nothing new from Mariner.

As for Kocic - I personally have a bit of an issue with his communication and distribution. I think he's a GREAT shot stopper. But that's only half his job in football. His communication and command of the penalty area HAS to be better. Having said that - I also think Frei has the same drawbacks - excellent stopper, not so good at the communication and distribution.

I'd personally prefer a much more veteran goally, with a younger backup. I don't think Frei OR Kocic are the complete answer for TFC. Don't get me wrong at all - I love both these guys and they make outstanding saves. I also don't think Hall is the answer either, mind you!

If TFC can cash in on Frei and Kocic (I think other teams would welcome them in and Frei, at least, is worth good money) I would trade them, and get a veteran 30+ year old as the number one keeper. Somebody like Neilson would be good - a much better overall experience of the game, and much better at organising the back four. I'd be fine with Hall as backup, and Roberts as the long term future goally of the club. I'm not usre who the 30+ year old vet would be tho.

Canary10
08-27-2012, 12:45 PM
The question isn't who our starting goalkeeper should be next year but who gives us the best chance of winning a key game tomorrow night. Hall's been pretty effing shaky if you ask me. No way he's a better choice than Milos, who has played even better in CCL games than MLS games. Is Hall really better than Kocic? That's what this comes down to.

Wingback6
08-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Hall is Bermudan. Since, for whatever reason, Bermudan football is Mariners pet project, he's going to find any excuse to promote these guys. Consider that Lambe, also Bermudan, has gotten way more playing time than his ability deserves under Mariner. Having watched both of them, Kocic is without question, the better keeper. But Mariner has his own agenda, and he's going to go through with it. The board will do nothing, until we keep losing, and then we'll get another coach in the offseason. Till then, I'd hate to be playing under Mariner if I wasn't part of his personal agenda.

ryan
08-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Gonna look great on TFC to ice a guy who just had kids. Realize that's not TFC's fault, just terrible timing if this is what is happening behind the scenes.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2012, 12:58 PM

This is unacceptable if this stands.

ag futbol
08-27-2012, 01:17 PM

Watching those other guys you've listed and their salaries really only furthers kocic's case for a slight bump up IMO. Ricketts is still a good shot blocker but error prone. Cannon and Hartman have severely limited athleticism with their age.

Is kocic perfect? Not at all, but I think his downfalls are comparable to an average to slightly above average keeper in this league. Not sure why we want to stir the pot here?

Personally, if it's one or the other for me, I am taking kocic. Frei was getting abused on corner kicks before his injury and teams where heavily on to the fact he doesn't like to physically compete for balls in the box. Also feel like his pedigree will mean he has European options to explore... TFC will probably over pay to keep the guy.

__wowza
08-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Personally, I don't think they should have signed Hall at all and it is nothing against him. They should have given that money to Kocic to keep him happy and kept Roberts as number 2. If for some reason Roberts needed to fill in then so be it and it would have been a learning experience. It's not like we were fighting for a playoff spot and needed Hall that bad for his experience over Roberts.

this right here. if we were contending for a playoff spot and we had to make these moves to get us closer, it would be one thing, this is the year to toy around. putting in a worse goalkeeper to play contract hardball with one of the only meaningful games of the season at this point is fuckin ridiculous.

kocic has more experience in the CCL, that alone would warrant his start here.

fuckin ridiculous! all we heard last year was "two great goalkeepers", "two starting goalkeepers", etc, etc. well, if the price is any indication you value one more than the other. i wouldn't be sad to see kocic go if they're not willing to go higher, the mans got a family to support.

The question isn't who our starting goalkeeper should be next year but who gives us the best chance of winning a key game tomorrow night. Hall's been pretty effing shaky if you ask me. No way he's a better choice than Milos, who has played even better in CCL games than MLS games. Is Hall really better than Kocic? That's what this comes down to.

jesus, can someone email mariner this whole fucking thread!?

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2012, 01:37 PM
So is this the response of management to having 2 starting keepers?

Frei is number one and hurt so they enjoy Kocic filling the role until he does it so well he wants starter money so they grab a new, ready to start backup to ditch Kocic first chance they get? The Kocic deal better be phenomenal.

I actually feel sorry for Hall right now. He's going to be fed to the sharks.

T-boy
08-27-2012, 01:39 PM

Yes of course this is the burning question right now. To be honest, I haven't seen Hall make any massive errors (or really small errors) as yet, so I can't really say he's messed anything up. Does that mean he's better than Kocic? No, but it doesn't mean he's worse necessarily. It's possible that his communication is better - but within the 2 games we've seen him, you can't judge that either way.

You have to remember back to last season tho - Winter played Kocic in place of Frei one game and he made that big error which cost a goal. Everybody was saying that Kocic was hopeless from that one error. But he went on and well redeemed himself. There is no real reason why Hall can't be a good goalkeeper either, really. Maybe in training Hall is playing very well, we as fans, don't know that.

Ultra & Proud
08-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Unless of course he shakes off the rust of those first two starts and is actually good. Would've rather not tested him out against Santos (and the CCL) but whatever, you live with it and get on with things.

__wowza
08-27-2012, 01:50 PM
To be honest, I haven't seen Hall make any massive errors (or really small errors) as yet, so I can't really say he's messed anything up.

you didn't think the columbus goal was soft?

So is this the response of management to having 2 starting keepers?

Frei is number one and hurt so they enjoy Kocic filling the role until he does it so well he wants starter money so they grab a new, ready to start backup to ditch Kocic first chance they get? The Kocic deal better be phenomenal.

keep in mind, if kocic's contract is up, he walks for free, correct?

ag futbol
08-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Maybe in training Hall is playing very well, we as fans, don't know that.
You're going to have to ration those "we don't even know that" reasoning's to a limit of three per day.

Yes there are a lot of things out there we don't actually know. We don't really actually know if Earl Cochrane knew about Dero going to Celtic on trial or if Preki was actually an asshole in the locker room. But for much of this stuff we can assume a little bit because we have enough corroborating evidence which way the wind is blowing. Is it possible that Hall is amazing in training but sluggish in games? sure. Is it likely....? Is he sharper in practice to the point of outplaying Kocic and getting his spot in an important game?

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2012, 01:59 PM
you didn't think the columbus goal was soft?

keep in mind, if kocic's contract is up, he walks for free, correct?

The Columbus goal caught him off balance but, my god, the shot was taken at the top of the box. The shooter should not have had the opportunity. The suck should be shared on that one.

If he walks for free this has not improved my view on this situation. At all.

The Professor
08-27-2012, 02:01 PM

I've come to believe this outcome is enforced by a boilerplate clause in every TFC contract.

brad
08-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Seems to me like they are auditioning for Frei's backup for next year. I'm fine with that in the league which is a lost cause, but not in the CCL if the rumors are true that Hall will start tomorrow.

They are caught between a rock and a hard place on Kocic IMHO. The guy has performed well enough to get a bump in pay, but he will very likely be number 2 when Frei returns. On one hand, you want to treat the guy with respect and reward him financially for what he has done. On the other hand, doing so takes away precious cap space that could be spent improving the team in other areas.

Screw him over and replace him for wanting a pay bump, that's the wrong kind of message to send to other players. Reward him with a bigger contract for what will likely be a backup role barring another injury to Frei, well, that's cap mismanagement.

v00d00daddy
08-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Yes of course this is the burning question right now. To be honest, I haven't seen Hall make any massive errors (or really small errors) as yet, so I can't really say he's messed anything up. Does that mean he's better than Kocic? No, but it doesn't mean he's worse necessarily. It's possible that his communication is better - but within the 2 games we've seen him, you can't judge that either way.

You have to remember back to last season tho - Winter played Kocic in place of Frei one game and he made that big error which cost a goal. Everybody was saying that Kocic was hopeless from that one error. But he went on and well redeemed himself. There is no real reason why Hall can't be a good goalkeeper either, really. Maybe in training Hall is playing very well, we as fans, don't know that.

For all the talk of Hall being a better distributor of the ball...he kicked two balls from his hands straight into touch in the game against Houston.

He may still be a better distributor than Kocic but I'd say the difference is negligible. There has been nothing in his play that would indicate that picking him to start is logical. At best, they're very close in terms of quality. Kocic should be starting based on the fact that Hall isn't much better (if at all) AND the fact that Kocic deserves the start in the only important game of the season because he's put up with so much shit already.

It's a simple "thank you for your hard work, we want you to start against Santos as a reward"

Ultra & Proud
08-27-2012, 02:48 PM
For all the talk of Hall being a better distributor of the ball...he kicked two balls from his hands straight into touch in the game against Houston.

Kocic did that 5 times here against KC, without rust, and on his home field where he should be used to the pitch. And the wind was blowing South to North that match because after his third one of them I started freaking out.

Regardless, Kocic should be starting tomorrow. Simple as that. However, I would still put Frei over him when both are healthy though but that's a next season debate.

__wowza
08-27-2012, 02:48 PM
The Columbus goal caught him off balance but, my god, the shot was taken at the top of the box. The shooter should not have had the opportunity. The suck should be shared on that one.

If he walks for free this has not improved my view on this situation. At all.

he was caught off balance, but his positioning was horrible from the start. that was a run of the mill save type shot.

that's why i believe the hall situation is hardball. you can say "hey kocic, we got someone to replace you!" but what if the bluff fails? what if hall doesn't perform better? we really should be sticking with the people that brought us to the dance with the champions league.

kocic has been playing a season and a half as a starter on a backups salary. there's no denying this.

Joe Kool
08-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Hall is Bermudan. Since, for whatever reason, Bermudan football is Mariners pet project, he's going to find any excuse to promote these guys.

It's called retirement planning. He will promote Bermudan football as much as he can. They give him a retirement villa in return. The video I saw of him doing a toast at a dinner down there when Lambe was signed just showed how much he was kissing their ass. If they weren't planning anything like that then I don't see why his wife was on that TFC trip. It was pretty obvious to me. Anyhow, back to topic...

I think putting Hall in could be a suicidal move from a renewals point of view if we get killed in this game because people will continue to lose faith in this team and the decisions being made. It is possible that the outcome may be the same regardless of the keeper decision but if Hall is in and we get killed the focus will be on that whether it was a factor or not. Hopefully we can pull off a win or tie obviously but my expectations are definitely lower with Hall. He still looks shaky to me and Kocic has the needed experience IMO.

maninb
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Hall should have easily got to Houston's goal...he was sitting far to close to his line and not paying attention...If PM starts Hall he's basically telling his players he's willing to take the team down just to spite players he has a problem with...

Ultra & Proud
08-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Hall should have easily got to Houston's goal...he was sitting far to close to his line and not paying attention...If PM starts Hall he's basically telling his players he's willing to take the team down just to spite players he has a problem with...
His positioning has looked very dodgy in his two matches so far but I can't fault him on that Houston goal. Most likely no one is getting to that. It'd be like blaming Kocic on that KC goal where dumb shit Wiedeman stuck his knee out in a half-assed attempt to stop Kimara's free kick only to have it deflect inches out of Kocic's reach. Not the keeper's fault. Now that first one in Columbus was a different story.

Canary10
08-27-2012, 02:59 PM

He has also spilled a few times on pretty simple shots. Hasn't paid for it quite yet. At any rate, starting a guy with 2 games behind him (after how long a lay off exactly?) in a meaningful game is nonsensical.

ryan
08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
It's called retirement planning. He will promote Bermudan football as much as he can. They give him a retirement villa in return. The video I saw of him doing a toast at a dinner down there when Lambe was signed just showed how much he was kissing their ass. If they weren't planning anything like that then I don't see why his wife was on that TFC trip. It was pretty obvious to me. Anyhow, back to topic...

I think putting Hall in could be a suicidal move from a renewals point of view if we get killed in this game because people will continue to lose faith in this team and the decisions being made. It is possible that the outcome may be the same regardless of the keeper decision but if Hall is in and we get killed the focus will be on that whether it was a factor or not. Hopefully we can pull off a win or tie obviously but my expectations are definitely lower with Hall. He still looks shaky to me and Kocic has the needed experience IMO.

A national team manager stint in his future perhaps?

jazzy
08-27-2012, 08:03 PM
this is not a time for experimentation....but then Mr.Mariner dumped Soolsma yes?.....that says a lot

PS he hurt his leg also last game.......risky

Fort York Redcoat
08-28-2012, 07:00 AM
A national team manager stint in his future perhaps?

Bermuda is presently without a National Team Coach. Their last (part time) coach, Devarr Boyles declared he wasn't interested in continuing with them.

__wowza
08-28-2012, 08:19 AM
PS he hurt his leg also last game.......risky

who did? hall or kocic?
source?

ryan
08-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Bermuda is presently without a National Team Coach. Their last (part time) coach, Devarr Boyles declared he wasn't interested in continuing with them.

Dear Paul Mariner, take the jerb.

jloome
08-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Dear Paul Mariner, take the jerb.

"Thar tekkin' our jerbs!"

Maybe he figures we're going to get crushed by Santos, has no confidence in his own team, and is setting up a scapegoat.

So far, Hall has shaky hands, weak positioning. He's fast and has a cannon for a foot, which Mariner probably values. But it's not like Milos couldn't hoof the damn ball downfield.

I dunno. Objectively, we havent' seen enough of him to be sure yet. But he has the whiff of the landmine to me.

mdc 77
08-28-2012, 12:49 PM
I asked this in the game thread as well. Do we know that Kocic is having a contract dispute with the club? If so, is Mariner not playing him because of it? or is Kocic refusing to play because of it?

Or is the contract dispute just a rumour that is not true? Would be interesting to know before the biggest game of the season.

TearsForCheers
08-28-2012, 01:17 PM

I'll accept your point that we don't know yet whether Hall is a really great keeper or whether he is training really well, but that's just it - on the other hand we DO know that Kocic stepped in when this team was in bad need of solidity in net, and did the job to a very high level. We DO know that Kocic has the experience of playing these high pressure matches against top quality opponents and getting a result. So why would Mariner ignore what is known and factual and go with the unknown? Not rational unless there is some shady business in the background.

OgtheDim
08-28-2012, 01:42 PM
who did? hall or kocic?
source?

Hall.....near the end of the match he was limping around. Houston commentators said he was being a willy old coot.

Should be OK.

But starting against the best team we'll play this season? Nope.

gracos
08-28-2012, 01:59 PM
4 Goalkeepers is one too many, I think they are trying to move a piece eventually to be able to free up salary, or at least hope so, I dont know if Kocic/Frei should be benched as they both are starter material, just hope the confusion ends soon, and best of luck to whoever moves on

narduch
08-28-2012, 03:58 PM
I asked this in the game thread as well. Do we know that Kocic is having a contract dispute with the club? If so, is Mariner not playing him because of it? or is Kocic refusing to play because of it?

Or is the contract dispute just a rumour that is not true? Would be interesting to know before the biggest game of the season.

That doesn't make any sense. If Kocic refused to play he wouldn't even be on the bench.

Blizzard
08-28-2012, 05:53 PM
That doesn't make any sense. If Kocic refused to play he wouldn't even be on the bench.

Yes, absolutely. If Kocic was refusing to play, he'd be suspended, it would be all over the news and Q would be on the bench. This is a Paul Mariner thing and whether it be because of contract negotiation difficulties or being just plain old out of favour, it is Paul Mariner's call.

Doucet3
08-28-2012, 07:48 PM

In response to both Armen first: Wiedeman over avila puzzles me a little as well but I can see why avila seems to have reache his potential, but should be given a year of mediocrity to prove he's hit the wall, and the whole back situation, kinda simple Ecks and O'Dea in the back is kinda the best option that's our BIGGEST weakness so to put our 2 best defenders there is fine by me not the best choice but like really is what he have working now, Henry will be a great defender in the future but at what 21?, he's still really young for the MLS so he needs to grow and a couple games only concentrating on RB that one side did him good.

Kocic is in a contract DISPUTE which is a shame cause I love the big Serbs play way better the hall he's shit to me. The 4-4-2 has been working but as it being out what ... 10 formation in 6 years I honestly dont blame them give them a year I think they'll get it down.

In reference to iu21|: this is easy to explain, Soolsma had an opportunity to play for Exselsior which in holland is a decent club that had a rough stint and got relegated and I believe I read somewhere (illtry to find the link) where he said he was a fan, now imagine if he was part of the team to bring the back to the top league on his home country, it would be a dream

There was something internal with plata simple as that, again Kocic = contract dispute, and for Mak, Stindon, Cordon, Lindsay (who needs like 2-3 years of rehab and training before he's even a bench player for TFC ) are all years away don't forget there still only 20? Like the average super draft player is what 23 that 3 years means a lot, and I think maund shouldn't be started as much either he's not that great but hey, and Amarikwa is our new Soolsma I like him but he's still young in his foot all IQ which is what training is for.

I really don't get it why Dunfield is hated on so much he's a little warrior out there and plays decent football he's solid not spectacular but solid for the MLS

In closing I actually do believe in Marnier although I do NOT agree with his every move I think we should give him some leeway, he knows the MLS and I think he's doing our squad good and its not all doom and gloom as its perceived on the boards some posters are just ... Over the top and pathetically over exaggerating.

Cheers all, Belive it your Reds

[NBF]
09-08-2012, 10:08 PM
It seems like a disadvantage for a Canadian player to be negotiating your contract with a Canadian team if your likelyhood of being employed for an American team is very minimal. It almost seems like it might be smarter for Canadian players to begin their playing careers in NASL on an American team for 5-6 years to gain citizenship and then look towards the MLS. Thats if NCAA is not an option for 3-4 years.

Kocic is definitely fighting a lopsided battle, but he seems like the most motivated between him and Frei. Frei, I think has become discontent with the team and unmotivated, but I guess we will see when he gets onto the field again. Is Kocic's contract running out or is he still a TFC player for 2013?

narduch
09-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Kocic isn't Canadian.

I'm guessing his contract finishes this year, but TFC will retain his MLS rights.

At least for Kocic's sake his Serbian passport will make it easier to find work in Europe next season if TFC tries to fuck him over.

prizby
09-10-2012, 03:06 PM
The 4-4-2 has been working but as it being out what ...

no the 4-4-2 is not working...having frings and koef in the lineup together works (9-5-5 record overall when both play i believe)

prizby
09-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Kocic isn't Canadian.

I'm guessing his contract finishes this year, but TFC will retain his MLS rights.

At least for Kocic's sake his Serbian passport will make it easier to find work in Europe next season if TFC tries to fuck him over.

why would it be easier...they aren't part of the EU

narduch
09-10-2012, 05:08 PM
why would it be easier...they aren't part of the EU

Lots of non-EU European countries have agreements allowing their players easier access in Europe.

prizby
09-12-2012, 07:19 AM
Lots of non-EU European countries have agreements allowing their players easier access in Europe.

only select amount...for example; spain allows 3 non EU in the top division

at the lower divisions (where kocic would be at skill wise), its even less

narduch
09-12-2012, 07:32 AM
only select amount...for example; spain allows 3 non EU in the top division

at the lower divisions (where kocic would be at skill wise), its even less

You missed my point completely.

The point is that Serbian players get to count as EU players. There are a bunch of non-EU nations that have this favoured status (Ukraine is another example).

prizby
09-12-2012, 07:54 AM
You missed my point completely.

The point is that Serbian players get to count as EU players. There are a bunch of non-EU nations that have this favoured status (Ukraine is another example).

like Adem Ljajic? http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2009/Dec/Reds-wont-pursue-Ljajic.aspx

narduch
09-12-2012, 07:57 AM
like Adem Ljajic? http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2009/Dec/Reds-wont-pursue-Ljajic.aspx

What's your point? Kocic isn't going to a team like ManU.

More likely a team in Scandinavia if things don't work out in Toronto and they try to Nana him.

prizby
09-12-2012, 08:01 AM
What's your point?

My point is:

The point is that Serbian players get to count as EU players.

Clearly, Serbian players DO NOT get to count as EU players, which was your point.

narduch
09-12-2012, 08:04 AM
My point is:

Clearly, Serbian players DO NOT get to count as EU players, which was your point.

Where did it say that? Is just says they weren't interested anymore.

prizby
09-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Where did it say that? Is just says they weren't interested anymore.

oops; wrong link; sorry

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2009/Dec/Ljajic-decision-explained.aspx

“We went down the road of trying to obtain a work permit,” Phelan said. “We made a tentative approach to get one, and what we got back from the Home Office (or these people you deal with) is that we couldn’t get it through in time for when we had to make a decision on Adem in January.

ag futbol
09-12-2012, 08:47 AM
^ errm... Am I missing something here?

I don't see how that points to what you're indicating.

tfcmanu
09-21-2012, 11:27 AM
A tweet from Milos Kocic: Good luck boys to LA and El Salvador! I wish I was there with you! Forza TFC.

http://twitter.com/MilosKocic30

WTF?????

nfitz
09-21-2012, 12:39 PM
WTF?????He currently has 3 children in hospital, and he isn't essential for the long trip. Probably the plan for the last few weeks. Play Kocic in town to rest Hall, and give Kocic a break to deal with his unique situation.

Personally, I wouldn't want Kocic in Central America, after he'd been 3-4 days gone from home, and worrying about things. It's so much of a mental game, and it might distract him.

tfcmanu
09-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Sounds reasonable.

brad
09-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Honestly, can't see how Kocic could be focused on the game (or even able to stay awake for the full 90 :-) ) after becoming a dad for the first time. After triplets...can't imagine.

tfc2008
09-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Tfc is wrong busy,supporters with all the complains and the office.
never never they had to fired Winter,af cause 0-9 was really bad.
but I can tell you nex year we had a soccer team that know how to play soccer with a system.
now we have nothing and nex year still nothing because it's again rebuilding.

nfitz
09-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Perhaps this whole Kocic situation explains why we ended up with Hall in the first place. With only Kocic and Roberts available, there might well have been fear that Kocic would be unavailable or unusable for some time, if they didn't grab a 4th keeper, particularly if things didn't go as well as they did at the birth.

narduch
09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Couldn't TFC have simply relied on the MLS pool keepers?

Surely the pool keepers are better than Feddy Hall. He is awful.

Plus part of the reason this team has issues filling its bench is that it is using up 4 roster spots on keepers, 2 of which it can't or won't use.

Auzzy
09-24-2012, 11:53 AM
^ And didn't they sign Freddy Hall to a 2-year contract?

nfitz
09-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Plus part of the reason this team has issues filling its bench is that it is using up 4 roster spots on keepers, 2 of which it can't or won't use.Frei isn't taking a roster spot. And Roberts is only taking the spot of a home-grown player.

I'm not sure all the rules and implications of using the pool keepers.

Macksam
09-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Best not to believe marketing statements like that. Simply isn't true.

Imagine the team we would have had if we kept these 1st round Superdraft picks that we made (or could have made):

2007 - Maurice Edu (*understandably transfered)
2008 - Brek Shea - we traded this pick for midfielder Richard Mulrooney
2009 - Sam Cronin - we traded Cronin for cash considerations
2009 - Chris Pontius - well, we took O'brien White instead 3 places higher
2009 - Stefan Frei
2010 - Zach Loyd - defender with USMNT and regular for FC Dallas, we traded this pick for Adrian Serioux who played 26 games
2011 - Will Bruin - Bruin was available at the time of our draft position but we couldn't pick him because we traded that pick to Vancouver for Nathan Sturgis. Vancouver selected Nanchoff

Mariner is trying to say that kids coming out of the newly formed Academy will have more potential than players on that list?

Well, Nick Lindsay had more skill and potential than all of them before he got injured. It wouldn't be surprised if it only gets better in the future.