PDA

View Full Version : O'Dea debut

CountryoverClub
08-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Wasnt able to watch the game. How'd the backline look with O'dea, and specifically how'd he play?

West220Side
08-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Wasnt able to watch the game. How'd the backline look with O'dea, and specifically how'd he play?

Darren O'dear didn't show up yesterday. You can check the pre/postgame for basically what everybody thought.

mcolvy
08-19-2012, 11:52 AM

O'dea played just fine. He is a bit less physically imposing then described, but it seemed like he was feeling it all out. He wasn't willing to make any mistakes, so I think he just needs to get use to the league. Though, I was sitting pretty close to the action and he looked rattled and phased after a couple of the times he went up for aerial balls. I think he was shocked at to the athleticism in the league, because no matter if that guy is crap on the ball he will get up there. These American kids are athletic. And he will have to get used to it. He gets up, but isn't that big. Couldn't be too much taller then Esks, and even he is listed at a questionable 6 feet. ( maybe his awkward posture makes him look shorter...).

Fort York Redcoat
08-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Darren O'dear didn't show up yesterday. You can check the pre/postgame for basically what everybody thought.

On his tits already are we? it's true he didn't help keep a clean sheet.

Other than him being from N.I. and never playing there as a pro is there a beef to be had from a Linfield POV?

Just curious.

jazzy
08-19-2012, 12:15 PM
it's his first game and and a good defender should be invisible of course...just defending, but he was adjusting to to the athleticism, (good point),...and was beaten a couple of times( he did play apperently for 90 mins for his country then travelled. .. all in all He'll be fine but there are of course non-imports who should be doing this job but as it goes we need him I'm more upset with the injury to Henry.....huge and the mismanagement of CB's and RB's by Mariner.

ag futbol
08-19-2012, 12:55 PM
I thought all said and done it was a decent debut. I'd like to know if he can play the ball at his feet, but as far as the actual defending side he looks more than capable of being the "other" guy next to a star defender.

ArmenJBX
08-19-2012, 01:01 PM
He took the fastest forward line in the league and limited their chances. Honestly, our old defence wouldn't have stood a chance.
Morgan, Eckersley and O'Dea are fine, but I feel we still need another centerback, allowing Ecks to slot back into the RB slot.

Greatest Ripoff
08-19-2012, 01:24 PM
He almost score a peach of a goal (in his own net). Other than that he looked capable. Once players start getting played in there proper and best suited position, the back line could be ok.

JuliquE
08-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Other than him being from N.I. and never playing there as a pro is there a beef to be had from a Linfield POV?

Just curious.
I'm quite certain you have him all wrong; he was suggesting that his alter-ego, Darren O'Dear, didn't show up.

Most people have agreed, all up and down, that he's shown well enough and I don't think he was suggesting anything different.

I don't know.. perhaps I've misunderstood your post.

lobo
08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
He almost score a peach of a goal (in his own net). Other than that he looked capable. Once players start getting played in there proper and best suited position, the back line could be ok.

the peach of a goal o'dea almost scored was not toward our goal, he just missed a header into the top corner of the skc goal, far post, off a corner ... one of our rare good chances yesterday, that would have been a peach .... i thought it was a strong defensive play when he cleared a ball that curled back past our goal
no concerns, i think we'll be happy with our new centre back

khso11
08-19-2012, 05:45 PM
i think O'Dea is pretty good, he have that great defensive postioning that most of our defenders probably doesn't have. Although he almost scored a own goal with a awkward miss kick of the ball he did intercepted alot of deadly passes from the SKC midfield which might lead to devastating results. I think we need one more CB at his level (or maybe Henry) and put Eck back to RB, most of our defensive issues might be resolved.

Greatest Ripoff
08-19-2012, 05:47 PM
the peach of a goal o'dea almost scored was not toward our goal, he just missed a header into the top corner of the skc goal, far post, off a corner ... one of our rare good chances yesterday, that would have been a peach .... i thought it was a strong defensive play when he cleared a ball that curled back past our goal
no concerns, i think we'll be happy with our new centre back

Sorry that was not what I am talking about. Ball was coming into the TFC box in the second half and O'Dea tried to volley it away and it almost ended up in the back of the next. Not sure if Kocic got finger tips on it or if it just went over. But either way it ended up a corner kick for KC.

Greatest Ripoff
08-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Although he almost scored a own goal with a awkward miss kick of the ball he did intercepted alot of deadly passes from the SKC midfield which might lead to devastating results.

This is what I was talking about.

lobo
08-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry that was not what I am talking about. Ball was coming into the TFC box in the second half and O'Dea tried to volley it away and it almost ended up in the back of the next. Not sure if Kocic got finger tips on it or if it just went over. But either way it ended up a corner kick for KC.

i know exactly what you were talking about, and i responded to it ... he cleared a ball that curled near our goal ... it missed, he cleared it, good defensive effort

perhaps what you missed is that o'dea also nearly scored (what would have been a real peach) with a header on the skc goal.

West220Side
08-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Just curious.

I'm quite certain you have him all wrong; he was suggesting that his alter-ego, Darren O'Dear, didn't show up.

Most people have agreed, all up and down, that he's shown well enough and I don't think he was suggesting anything different.

I don't know.. perhaps I've misunderstood your post.

I think tempers are running a bit to high on this forum. I was indeed saying that his alter-ego Darren O'Dear didn't show up as he had a fine match and deserved man of the match very much so.

A bit of an over re-action on his part. Forgive and forget.

Klinsmann
08-19-2012, 11:35 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8281/7812575876_d78466b520_b.jpg

Klinsmann
08-19-2012, 11:36 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7279/7812550356_740e7ce62b_b.jpg

Klinsmann
08-19-2012, 11:37 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8303/7812507904_a4a1005bfc_b.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
08-20-2012, 08:26 AM
I think tempers are running a bit to high on this forum. I was indeed saying that his alter-ego Darren O'Dear didn't show up as he had a fine match and deserved man of the match very much so.

A bit of an over re-action on his part. Forgive and forget.

I wasn't aware of this "O'dear" being a term of affection. I assumed it was a slagging (e.g.-Oh Dear:facepalm:) and you knew something we didn't perhaps because of your Linfield connection. That's all.

So O'Dear is a term of endearment? Thas cool.

JuliquE
08-20-2012, 08:40 AM
I wasn't aware of this "O'dear" being a term of affection. I assumed it was a slagging (e.g.-Oh Dear:facepalm:) and you knew something we didn't perhaps because of your Linfield connection. That's all.

"O'Dear" is a name allegedly given to him by Leeds Utd. supporters and is indeed intended as a slagging, as reported by a few on this board.

From what I could gather, West220Side was merely saying that, for all the people knocking the lad, this "O'Dear" alter-ego didn't show up during the match (i.e. he played well.. enough, at least).

Pookie
08-20-2012, 08:43 AM

If I may....

I think he is saying that O'Dea is a hot and cold type player. He has a name for when he plays well and a name for when he doesn't.

O'Dea is the CB you want.

O'Dear is the alter-ego, the one that costs games.

He's saying that the O'Dear personna didn't show up... which means he had a solid game.

That's way too much reasoning for a Monday, isn't it?

Fort York Redcoat
08-20-2012, 09:01 AM
If I may....

I think he is saying that O'Dea is a hot and cold type player. He has a name for when he plays well and a name for when he doesn't.

O'Dea is the CB you want.

O'Dear is the alter-ego, the one that costs games.

He's saying that the O'Dear personna didn't show up... which means he had a solid game.

That's way too much reasoning for a Monday, isn't it?

Wow. Sense has been achieved. I get it now.

New nicknames are tough business.

Anyway, there was no aggro from my end I just wanted to know any other background on the player before Celtic in N.I.

T-boy
08-20-2012, 09:04 AM
I liked O'Dea. He wasn't "spectacular" in any way - but I watched him a while and he was constantly talking to the other 3 defenders. At one point he brought them in for a huddle while somebody was down injured, giving Ecks and Morgan directions. He was also very good at organising the 4 at set plays, and pushing them out after the ball was cleared. Morgan seemed a little clueless a couple of times. O'Dea was shouting at him to "push out" and Morgan was stood still, keeping Kansas onside. Morgan looked over and slowly walked out eventually. Given more time, O'Dea looks like a good organiser, which will really help the TFC defence.

prizby
08-20-2012, 06:27 PM
O'Dea was fine...he had 1 block shot, 5 clearing headers, and 6 clearances (all from inside the 18) in the first half...playing the 3 other defenders out of position...not exactly what i'd call fine

Toronto_Bhoy
08-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Anybody know what kind of money he's on and for how long?

Richard
08-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Anybody know what kind of money he's on and for how long?

My guess is has to be making somthing close to ecks(350k+ i believe), anyway we will find out when the union posts another salary report.

Yohan
08-20-2012, 07:27 PM
My guess is has to be making somthing close to ecks(350k+ i believe), anyway we will find out when the union posts another salary report.
What makes you think this?

Richard
08-20-2012, 07:37 PM
What makes you think this?

Well because he is an international and has some good rep, although his value has dropped it might be bellow Ecks wages. I think performance wise we might have a good bargin and will be a solid player for us.

jloome
08-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Well because he is an international and has some good rep, although his value has dropped it might be bellow Ecks wages. I think performance wise we might have a good bargin and will be a solid player for us.

Guy is a total leader on the pitch and a good defender. His positioning was night and day compared to any of our other pseudo centre halfs. He had a couple fo awkward moments but nothing major. I don't think he's a second defender; he has the potential to be the guy.

TOBOR !
08-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Clever thread title opportunity gone wasted.

T-boy
08-21-2012, 08:54 AM

Is some of Ecks wages covering his transfer from Burnley possibly?

Richard
08-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Is some of Ecks wages covering his transfer from Burnley possibly?

Im pretty sure we got Ecks for free as he mutually terminated the contract with them.

Pookie
08-21-2012, 12:06 PM
They did. Burnley cancelled the deal and MLS got him on a $0 transfer

SKB
08-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Overall I would say a good solid addition to the back line. Considering he is only 25 this is a good acquisition for the club. I was struck by a lack of panic on back line. They were calm and organized. We have 3 good defenders with Ecks, O'Dea and Morgan. Need one more good backliner and then we bring henry along slowly. I hope his knee is okay.

TOBOR !
08-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Clever thread title opportunity gone wasted.

Alright, I'll tell you :

O'Dea. Boo ?

sully
08-24-2012, 03:21 PM
O'Dea called up to the Irish squad so he'll miss at least half of September here...

narduch
08-24-2012, 05:00 PM
O'Dea called up to the Irish squad so he'll miss at least half of September here...

He will probably only miss the September 12 game. (By the way kudos to the idiots at TFC FO for rescheduling a game on a day when TFC will miss 5-6 players)

sully
08-24-2012, 06:22 PM
He will probably only miss the September 12 game. (By the way kudos to the idiots at TFC FO for rescheduling a game on a day when TFC will miss 5-6 players)

My god we truly have idiots running things down there. I'll probably renew but puke when I hit submit payment.

Yohan
08-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Only three games in but I think TFC finally found that commanding CB. I'd like to see what a backline of Ecks-Henry-ODea-Morgan does in a long haul (plus signing a solid DM off season)

JayMolly
08-26-2012, 10:34 AM
[O'Dea set up Terry's goal. One question however, why does ODea have a TFC patch on his left arm when other TFC players have a Canadian flag?]

Canary10
08-26-2012, 11:16 AM
[O'Dea set up Terry's goal. One question however, why does ODea have a TFC patch on his left arm when other TFC players have a Canadian flag?]

He has the Canadian flag too.

I noticed a few times last night O'Dea was playing the ball into space (where you'd reasonably expect someone to be running into), only to have it intercepted and the ball lost because no one on this team runs into space. He's going to have to downgrade his expectations of the players around him. Not play the kind of simple balls you'd expect any half decent professional in the Championship to run on to.

v00d00daddy
08-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Overall he was very good yesterday but let's keep in mind that he played a very significant part in Houston's goal. Over committed and was exposed which led to Eckersley chasing Bruin unsuccessfully.

That being said. I think he looks like a good signing.

CountryoverClub
08-26-2012, 07:31 PM
I noticed a few times last night O'Dea was playing the ball into space (where you'd reasonably expect someone to be running into), only to have it intercepted and the ball lost because no one on this team runs into space. He's going to have to downgrade his expectations of the players around him. Not play the kind of simple balls you'd expect any half decent professional in the Championship to run on to.

JDG.

Yohan
08-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Overall he was very good yesterday but let's keep in mind that he played a very significant part in Houston's goal. Over committed and was exposed which led to Eckersley chasing Bruin unsuccessfully.

That being said. I think he looks like a good signing.
To be fair to him, very few in mls can make that kind of pass that boniek fed to bruin on that goal. Esp have that kind of awareness and vision

ryan
08-27-2012, 08:19 AM
JDG.

:(

One day we'll have a manager who gets it, one day.

Canary10
08-27-2012, 08:38 AM
JDG.

Nice one. So true.

Yohan
09-10-2012, 05:48 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/09/10/irish_defender_odea_travels_globe_tfc_ireland/?utm_source=Soccer%20Lineup%20RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=Irish%20defender%20O%27Dea%20travels%2 0globe%20for%20TFC%2C%20IRE

He seems to like playing in MLS so far... and looks like will be TFC captain while Frings is gone