PDA

View Full Version : Club Versus Country!

AjayNI
08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
I was just looking at the pre-game notes on the TFC site, for tonight's game 5 players are missing because of international commitments. As I am not from North America (I know some of the rules are different in MLS), I was wondering why MLS insist on scheduling league games on the same night as International games. Why are games not rescheduled for when players are available and not International Duty? My Local league is only part-time, but when a player from the league is lucky enough to make it in to the National squad (Northern Ireland), his club team can reschedule their game if it is on the same day as, or one day before or after a National team game, so that the player can play. Why do MLS teams not have the choice to reschedule their game if a player is playing for their country?

bertal
08-15-2012, 10:44 AM
it's indeed a mystery

eustacchio
08-15-2012, 10:47 AM
As I mentioned in another thread, we once had a game where no less than 11 of our players were away for WCQs. Despite the opposition wanting to reschedule as well , the league wouldn't do it...then they rescheduled a game so we could play Real Madrid in a mid-season friendly...

Fort York Redcoat
08-15-2012, 10:50 AM
They are getting better but the MLS schedule is pretty cramped as it is. Their challenge is to not make the season too long for reasons of weather and maximizing attendance by preventing additional overlap with other NA sports schedules.

Those are the excuses. Not reasons. There's no reason in it. It doesn't help the game here at all.

Greatest Ripoff
08-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Did anyone hear about Cardiff's league cup match from last night? They were down 8 players due to international call ups. Ended up loosing to Northampton Town.

SilverSamurai
08-15-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't see why they don't just double up on games say 2-3 weeks in the season.

Plus the league knows which teams have players that are most likely to call ups so schedule the teams that are less likely with weekend match. Instead of having 5-6 league games on Sat, have 1-2.

IMO, the league should shut down at the VERY LEAST during the group stage of the World Cup and the Gold Cup. How can you not reschedule during your regions tourney?!

SilverSamurai
08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I was just looking at the pre-game notes on the TFC site, for tonight's game 5 players are missing because of international commitments. As I am not from North America (I know some of the rules are different in MLS), I was wondering why MLS insist on scheduling league games on the same night as International games. Why are games not rescheduled for when players are available and not International Duty? My Local league is only part-time, but when a player from the league is lucky enough to make it in to the National squad (Northern Ireland), his club team can reschedule their game if it is on the same day as, or one day before or after a National team game, so that the player can play. Why do MLS teams not have the choice to reschedule their game if a player is playing for their country?
Guys play for the national squad that are on league teams? For real!? I know N. Ireland isn't exactly a huge country, but I didn't think they talent pool was that small.

T-boy
08-15-2012, 11:27 AM
If MLS teams weren't playing completely meaningless "international friendlies" in the middle of the season, then these games could easily be re-scheduled! It just shows the priorities of the MLS. :(

TFCRegina
08-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Did anyone hear about Cardiff's league cup match from last night? They were down 8 players due to international call ups. Ended up loosing to Northampton Town.

They lost because their club is shite and their ownership is even worse.

Screw Cardiff

Yagbod
08-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Another question is: why is FIFA scheduling international dates so soon after a summer with a Euro and the Olympics and during the week before several leagues start up? Seriously dumb timing.

ag futbol
08-15-2012, 11:34 AM
You know, strange enough, we aren't the only league to suffer these kind of problems. Brazil doesn't always break for the international window either and occasionally lose players to international duty.

Realistically, I'd like to see scheduling limit the impact as opposed to eliminate it since the latter seems impractical. It's just annoying that MLS thumbs their nose at this problem at times... it's not like international football is going to go away.

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 01:16 PM
At least we don't have the issues they have in Europe where huge swaths of supporters think internationals should stay home and play for club...unless they play for the country of the team. The English are the worst for this.

Greatest Ripoff
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Another question is: why is FIFA scheduling international dates so soon after a summer with a Euro and the Olympics and during the week before several leagues start up? Seriously dumb timing.

The mid August international date has been on the fifa calendar for many years. Next year will be the last time it happens and it will be removed for the calendar.

Greatest Ripoff
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
They lost because their club is shite and their ownership is even worse.

Screw Cardiff

Swansea supporter?

AjayNI
08-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Guys play for the national squad that are on league teams? For real!? I know N. Ireland isn't exactly a huge country, but I didn't think they talent pool was that small.

Yea, there are 20 or 30 Northern Irish guys playing in the professional English leagues, eg. Steve Davis (Southampton) & Chris Brunt (West Brom), and even Kyle Lafferty players for FC Sion in Switzerland, but obviously there is going to be withdrawals through injury etc. So these Semi-pro players in the local league get called up as a last resort. Usually only 1 or 2 in the squad though.

Huyton
08-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I think that international games should be limited somewhat. There were Euro games in June and July. There are international friendlies now, there will be games in September and October.

Many leagues around the planet are gearing up for their seasons (or they've just started)...the last thing any of them need is an international friendly at the moment.

TFC, for example, will be rightfully furious if O'Dea comes back injured.

Fort York Redcoat
08-15-2012, 02:01 PM

Funny that you should say that since if we had all our players at home and available it would be the perfect time to practice for the more important WCQ. We didn't have a Gold Cup. We weren't in the Olympics.

Greatest Ripoff
08-15-2012, 02:10 PM
I think that international games should be limited somewhat. There were Euro games in June and July. There are international friendlies now, there will be games in September and October.

Many leagues around the planet are gearing up for their seasons (or they've just started)...the last thing any of them need is an international friendly at the moment.

TFC, for example, will be rightfully furious if O'Dea comes back injured.

This is the last chance for international teams to get together in EUFA before World Cup qualifying starts and in CONCACAF before WCQ resumes in a month.

Duct Tape
08-15-2012, 02:19 PM

The Mid-August International Date is gone as of 2014 I believe, i don't have a FIFA match calendar handy, but they were discussing it on BBC Radio this week on one of the Five Live Football shows, and after next year this stupid international date on the eve of most of the European Leagues starting is a gonner.

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Swansea supporter?

Maybe he prefers blue over red.....oh wait.

SilverSamurai
08-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Yea, there are 20 or 30 Northern Irish guys playing in the professional English leagues, eg. Steve Davis (Southampton) & Chris Brunt (West Brom), and even Kyle Lafferty players for FC Sion in Switzerland, but obviously there is going to be withdrawals through injury etc. So these Semi-pro players in the local league get called up as a last resort. Usually only 1 or 2 in the squad though.

Sorta shocking but now I learned something today!