PDA

View Full Version : TFC Attendance Down

Gilberto9
08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Why are attendance figures down this season? In prior seasons, the stadium would seem so full on television. Now, the picture isn't really the best with all those empty seats. BMO doesn't even seem as loud as it used to be anymore. I don't understand... TFC has been performing the same way (bad) in its existence. Have people decided to just not show up at games anymore? And what's up with the attendance for champions league. That competition is more prestigious, is it not? :facepalm:

brad
08-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Not sure if you are serious or trolling, but giving you the benefit of the doubt - take a look at 6 years of futility, incompetent management from top to bottom, repeated lies to the fan base, incessant price gouging, in stadium crackdowns on people supporting, the newness of the team wearing off, and on and on.

People are fed up and have lost interest in the team.

eustacchio
08-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Not sure if you are serious or trolling, but giving you the benefit of the doubt - take a look at 6 years of futility, incompetent management from top to bottom, repeated lies to the fan base, incessant price gouging, in stadium crackdowns on people supporting, the newness of the team wearing off, and on and on.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure if check out any number of threads, you'll find several reasons.

Fort York Redcoat
08-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Yes Bakht, just have a look around. You'll see a pattern soon enough.

But welcome. And keep that chin up!:)

TFC07
08-13-2012, 02:37 PM
The difference is that team is boring to watch now.

prizby
08-13-2012, 03:15 PM
doesnt take a genius to figure out why attendance is down

Thomas
08-13-2012, 03:22 PM
If only that was all we needed to address. If we were winning key matches + in the playoff hunt, I don't think the so called 'boring to watch' factor would play much of a role in our attendance situation.

The difference is that team is boring to watch now.

trane
08-13-2012, 03:25 PM

Yes but will MLSE be able to figure that one out?

Keep in mind their most recent solution the youtube thingy trying to convince people that BMO was "cool" no matter what was happening on the pitch.

MartinUtd
08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I did not renew in the sixth year because of price gouging and cheap tricks to fill seats (see FC Dallas rescheduling debacle). I can deal with the inferior product on the field but not the feeling of being ripped off.

Redpunkfiddle
08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I did not renew in the sixth year because of price gouging and cheap tricks to fill seats (see FC Dallas rescheduling debacle). I can deal with the inferior product on the field but not the feeling of being ripped off.

I thought I was aware of all debacles. The only Dallas rescheduling I recall was due to lightening bolts, which I don't think anyone has been able to pin on MLSE.

Yet.

eustacchio
08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
I think he means when they (MLS) wouldn't reschedule the San Jose game during WCQ when we had no less than 11 guys missing, and then they (MLS) rescheduled the NYRB game later that summer so we could play Real Madrid on grass that was put down over the turf just for them.

I could be wrong.

Fort York Redcoat
08-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I think he means when they (MLS) wouldn't reschedule the San Jose game during WCQ when we had no less than 11 guys missing, and then they (MLS) rescheduled the NYRB game later that summer so we could play Real Madrid on grass that was put down over the turf just for them.

I could be wrong.

We're not talking about the Chivas game in which we had to sign players to play one game contracts out? Good times...

eustacchio
08-13-2012, 04:31 PM
We're not talking about the Chivas game in which we had to sign players to play one game contracts out? Good times...

Bah, it's hard to keep track. I think we're all talking about the same game, whatever team it was.

The best part is, the opposing team (whoever the F is was) was fine with rescheduling. Instead we played NYRB on a Wednesday, and then the following Saturday -both at home.

TFC07
08-13-2012, 04:31 PM
If only that was all we needed to address. If we were winning key matches + in the playoff hunt, I don't think the so called 'boring to watch' factor would play much of a role in our attendance situation.

I meant that's difference right now (with all the problems stated by OP) is team is boring to watch compare to previous TFC teams. This current TFC team are too boring and predictable to watch and its contributing why people are turned off and not showing up for games anymore.

If we were winning (as in being contenders not just a team fighting for a playoff spot) and tickets weren't so expensive then it wouldn't be an issue for me.

Gilberto9
08-13-2012, 04:37 PM
doesnt take a genius to figure out why attendance is down If you're referring to the performance of the team, then it still doesn't make sense. Toronto FC's performance has always been the same. Our record amount of wins has been 9. Is that what you would call a performance that brings fans to the stadium?

Richard
08-13-2012, 04:40 PM
You are either trolling or very new to TFC. If you are not new then shame on you for not informing yourself and opening your eyes to the debacle that is TFC.

Gilberto9
08-13-2012, 04:44 PM
You are either trolling or very new to TFC. If you are not new then shame on you for not informing yourself and opening your eyes to the debacle that is TFC. I've been watching since 2007. My favourite all time TFC players are De Rosario and Brennan.

Code Red
08-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Why is attendance down? Part of the answer to that lies in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUjdtwFlHo&feature=player_embedded

I used to think this was a soccer city. Now I'm starting to think otherwise.

Richard
08-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Just wow is all i can say. Its not supprising though to be honest, i think part of the reason he came here though is because noone knows who he is in Canada. I wish i could pass him the ball.

MartinUtd
08-13-2012, 05:40 PM
I thought I was aware of all debacles. The only Dallas rescheduling I recall was due to lightening bolts, which I don't think anyone has been able to pin on MLSE.

Yet.

It wasn't the fact that the game was rescheduled, it their attempt to make amends by issuing me unsold tickets to a game I already had tickets purchased for. The day they tried to make me a ticket agent was the day I gave up on the FO. There is no hope these people will ever get their act together.

Klinsmann
08-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Damn, i don't take the GO train anymore.... I'd be playing pass for sure with Torsten

Red CB Toronto
08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
I wonder why in hell the FO would put up a video like that, what good does it bring them, nothing it my eyes, it just makes them look goofy.

ryan
08-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm so embarrassed for the poor guy. What a fucking gong show this organization is.

Pookie
08-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm so embarrassed for the poor guy. What a fucking gong show this organization is.

So the stated goal is What would you do if an international soccer star wanted to play pass with you at the train station. Challenge your perception, change your routine. Check out TFC 12 on torontofc.ca

They seem to want to say to live in the moment and don't be afraid to break down boundaries. I got that message from the website.

The message I took in watching this was that it was embarrassing PR for Torsten and the team.

No one was interested in Toronto's captain. No one likely noticed and no one cared except for two guys.

The video makes me sad.

Was that the point of the video? To make me sad? If the message was that "no one cares" and you should be sad, I guess they accomplished their goal.

prizby
08-13-2012, 06:08 PM
If you're referring to the performance of the team, then it still doesn't make sense. Toronto FC's performance has always been the same. Our record amount of wins has been 9. Is that what you would call a performance that brings fans to the stadium?

you may be an exception to the rule

kodiakTFC
08-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Its not really that far down.

Our average this year is 19089
last season was 19876
all time is 20264

So if our average is 19089 and the league average is 18811, I think we're okay. Admittedly people don't show up on time and a lot of people don't sit in their seats, or even show up, but what ya gonna do.

Huyton
08-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Maybe need a 2 stick: Want 2 play pass!

trane
08-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I feel bad for Fringgs.

I am going to voice one of my beefs once again, but this is a football city, but many, many , many of us call football; calcio.

asterix606
08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
That video with Fringgs is idiotic.

1. Why place such a star in this situation?

2. Its obvious that all the people are going straight for that door. They are all in a rush! There is no walking activity coming in from the other direction. Stupid placement to do this this stupid thing from stupid MLSE!

Had they done this before a Jays game at the Skydome, things would have been much different.

My deepest apologies Fringgs for this video. Hope you sign a contract in a new club that is worth your status, experience and skills!!!

eustacchio
08-13-2012, 06:43 PM
That video actually makes me feel sick.

Code Red
08-13-2012, 06:48 PM
The message I took in watching this was that it was embarrassing PR for Torsten and the team.

My thoughts, exactly.

This video publicly exhibits everything that is wrong with TFC in its current state and although the intention was to promote the "good deed" initiative, it is in fact showcasing a population that is unfamiliar with an international soccer star. Did the FO not realize this before they elected to post this for the world to see? People in Germany must be shaking their heads when they view this video... hell, people everywhere will be shaking their heads when they view it.

How much more embarrassment can this FO cause?

Derko
08-13-2012, 06:49 PM
I feel bad for Fringgs.

I am going to voice one of my beefs once again, but this is a football city, but many, many , many of us call football; calcio.

I get it but I am sure alot don't, good one though,lol
Is this what you are referring to: The Italian word for football is calcio and this is the word used to make reference to the sport in Italy, as opposed to football (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Association_football) in England (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Football_in_England) or soccer in the United States (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/United_States) and Canada (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Canada).

Cheers

Thomas
08-13-2012, 07:03 PM
It tells me something about the FO for posting this, I feel sorry for Frings. The reality is that College basketball and sometimes even high school foot ball are more popular than proffessional soccer in the U.S.

OgtheDim
08-13-2012, 07:05 PM
I think if you go back to that video and count the number of people on their phone in one way shape or form, it would be close to 40%. As for the rest, we're talking the GO, but not during rush hour(it wasn't that busy and how many dark pants guys with ties did we see (standard downtown office attire?). I'm thinking that was around 11 am. That, and how many people actually talk to a stranger about something when on the train?

Face it people, TFC did that on purpose to make a point.

Now, if he did that bit at Yonge and Egg, you'd get a VERY different response.

The point of the video is to get the response seen on here already - "darn I'd give my eye to play with him." That video is aimed at coaches and players. And it is darn effective, truth be told.

But I'm into meta guerrilla marketing so what do I know.....

Rudy
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
I think if you go back to that video and count the number of people on their phone in one way shape or form, it would be close to 40%. As for the rest, we're talking the GO, but not during rush hour(it wasn't that busy and how many dark pants guys with ties did we see (standard downtown office attire?). I'm thinking that was around 11 am. That, and how many people actually talk to a stranger about something when on the train?

The point of the video is to get the response seen on here already - "darn I'd give my eye to play with him." That video is aimed at coaches and players. And it is darn effective, truth be told.

TOTAL BS. Embarassing and pathetic. They should be ashamed of themselves. instead of postinf videos like this, this should come up with a strategy to increase awareness and exposure to TFC so this shit does not happen again. Unbelievable. I was hurting watching this video. Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic. Whoever though of that should get fired. TODAY. I am writing TFC now to complain. So should everyone else.

TFCRegina
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Fucking shameful is what that is.

OgtheDim
08-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Part of me thinks it would have been funnier with Dunfield and his goofy grin. Or maybe Mariner. But Frings is the most effective.

OgtheDim
08-13-2012, 07:18 PM
TOTAL BS....

Excuse me? Are you saying I'm full of it? Cause I assure you this isn't the first time this sort of thing has been done in the world.

Look, you could do the same thing in the London Underground with a good number of the recent GB squad and get the same response. And get the same response from passers by.

Or try it with anybody but Christine Sinclair right now from the Canadian Women's team. And get the same response from a coach which is "Darn, I'd love to have my kids have a kick around with them."

And if anybody here thinks Frings is somehow unmanned by this, or has less self-esteem, I think you underestimate him.

Rudy
08-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Excuse me? Are you saying I'm full of it? Cause I assure you this isn't the first time this sort of thing has been done in the world.

Look, you could do the same thing in the London Underground with a good number of the recent GB squad and get the same response. And get the same response from passers by.

Or try it with anybody but Christine Sinclair right now from the Canadian Women's team. And get the same response from a coach which is "Darn, I'd love to have my kids have a kick around with them."

And if anybody here thinks Frings is somehow unmanned by this, or has less self-esteem, I think you underestimate him.

I disagree. How often do u see someone with a soccer ball at Union or a subway station?? mmm.. never? Would it be the same response of Phil Kessel stood in the same spot with a hocket stick and ball??? Come on!!!!!

Suds
08-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Some valid points. I agree that you could try this with other famous people in situations like this and get a similar response. If the goal was to generate conversation they've nailed that goal.

But I have to say I felt very uncomfortable watching it and I felt embarrassed for the guy. I just don't think it came off that well.

spe18
08-13-2012, 08:25 PM
How come a comment hasn't been posted at the bottom of the page yet? :)

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/08/day-1-spotlight-good-deeds

Rudy
08-13-2012, 08:29 PM
How come a comment hasn't been posted at the bottom of the page yet? :)

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/08/day-1-spotlight-good-deeds

i emailed tfc management with my disappointment. everyone else shud too.

jazzy
08-13-2012, 08:29 PM

uh-huh......I'm speechless....it''l never change never ,....only new owners,....thats that....they are going to force us all to give up our passion.....unbelievable..assholes!

what a classy guy...and the joke is he could buy out those idiot FO kiss asses!

TFC07
08-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Toronto proper isn't a soccer city, but 905 region is different story. I am not surprised seeing this video.

Not where I am from. :)

Canary10
08-13-2012, 09:45 PM
My understanding is TFC12 is about raising money and awareness for various charities over the next 12 days. The video is supposed to be supporting that. I totally agree it's very obscure in the point it's making and how it connects with this initiative. But people should give TFC a break on it. It's a good initiative, but the execution on the video isn't. Kind of looks like someone's guerilla marketing project gone awry. Respect to Torsten for doing it!

khso11
08-13-2012, 10:05 PM
I feel sorry for frings, he stood there for that long and only 2 ppl came up, that's embarrasing. they should of went to eaton center or something like that, and shouldn't of upload this vid at all. i hope i was there, i would play pass with a former world-known soccer star all day lol.

Code Red
08-13-2012, 10:27 PM
TOTAL BS. Embarassing and pathetic. They should be ashamed of themselves. instead of postinf videos like this, this should come up with a strategy to increase awareness and exposure to TFC so this shit does not happen again. Unbelievable. I was hurting watching this video. Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic. Whoever though of that should get fired. TODAY. I am writing TFC now to complain. So should everyone else.

Good luck. They will send you a generic reply that can be summed up as, "Thank you for your input. Now F--- Off."

I think we ought to devote a section to Front Office's embarrassing/demeaning marketing campaigns. For starters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aom7cHx3ATs&list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw& index=2&feature=plcp

Memorable Quotes:

"It's almost surreal, like when you walk into the stadium and the place is filling up"

"The energy is just mounting towards kickoff"

"It's so much fun, like, everyone's so into the game that the atmosphere just makes you want to be a part of it even if you don't really watch socco or appriciate the game the way that it is played"

"Definitely is a bonding kind of experience when you go to a TFC game"

"It's always a good time if you go with a lot of people. You connect more with your friends and family, I think"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGN1fpxkHJ4&list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw& index=4&feature=plcp

Memorable Quotes:

"The atmosphere I find is the greatest, it's different than any other sport, I've been to all the various activities including the olympics and it's just the atmosphere at football, it's just great, like the the fans, the noise, it's a great thing to share"

"TFC have done a great job creating a really authentic experience"

"You sort of really get wrapped up and it's just a great atmosphere and it's much like being in a, you know, soccer stadium in Europe"

"I'm not sure how you can leave the stadium not having had a great time whether it's a nil-nil game or 4-0 win for TFC"

ryan
08-13-2012, 10:55 PM
MLSE thinks they can be something if they just say it enough times.

ryan
08-13-2012, 10:58 PM
What's worst about this current marketing is that they are flat out selling lies and ghosts of the past. The fools who believe this and buy tickets, will show up and realize this, and then never believe this garbage again. If they were going to push the atmosphere angle, they should have tried to repair it first.

Bloody idiots.

gracos
08-13-2012, 11:22 PM
The story on the website about Torsten reminds me of the violinist on the Metro

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/music/a/violinist_metro.htm

Gilberto9
08-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Things would be better if more advertising was around. Or just let a Muslim Sheikh from Abu Dhabi buy the team ;)

Pookie
08-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Confused a little here. Seems like the majority of the responses here are saying that the video embarrassed a star player and is yet another example of how out of touch the FO is with the team. True or not, that's the take away from their market (season ticket holders are coaches and players after all)

That can't be a good thing... can it?

Canary10
08-14-2012, 08:20 AM
I think you guys are missing that this is supporting a charitable initiative of the team. They're trying to get people to "think differently." Putting Torsten Frings in Union Station or whatever it was, was a pretty good guerilla marketing idea to make that point. But it cleary failed in execution given that no one recognized him. I think they tried to run with the video they had and adjust the copy to the point they were trying to make, but it didn't work. The fact that no one even knows what the underlying campaign is that it's supposed to be supporting is pretty bad.

eustacchio
08-14-2012, 08:28 AM
I think you guys are missing that this is supporting a charitable initiative of the team. They're trying to get people to "think differently." Putting Torsten Frings in Union Station or whatever it was, was a pretty good guerilla marketing idea to make that point. But it cleary failed in execution given that no one recognized him. I think they tried to run with the video they had and adjust the copy to the point they were trying to make, but it didn't work. The fact that no one even knows what the underlying campaign is that it's supposed to be supporting is pretty bad.

I think the video is missing that.

We're starting to get it because other people, like yourself, are able to tell us what it's 'supposed' to be. If you have to explain a campaign, advertisment or joke, it doesn't work.

What am I supposed to be 'thinking differently' about? It's an honest question.

Canary10
08-14-2012, 08:50 AM
I think the video is missing that.

We're starting to get it because other people, like yourself, are able to tell us what it's 'supposed' to be. If you have to explain a campaign, advertisment or joke, it doesn't work.

What am I supposed to be 'thinking differently' about? It's an honest question.

Lol. I have no effing idea. It's not a well thought out campaign. Or too clever by half maybe.

The web site says the first charity is about "promoting the donation of generousity and helping to alter behaviour in a routine dominated society." I guess trying to alter the "routine dominated society" by putting Torsten Frings in a high traffic area that is about routine (commuting to work) was the idea.

jabbronies
08-14-2012, 08:53 AM
What you don't realize is that they edited this video down to the bare bones of the quote. Most of the meat and potatoes of the video isn't even here. Here is what was really said during those taped interviews:

"It's almost surreal, like when you walk into the stadium and the place is filling up. It's only after the 55th minute and the place is finally full do you realize, 'wow, people take their sweet ass time to fill this small stadium"

"The energy is just mounting towards kickoff. then the whistle blows and 26 seconds later we're down 1 - nil"

"It's so much fun, like, everyone's so into the game that the atmosphere just makes you want to be a part of it even if you don't really watch soccer or appropriate the game the way that it is played. They could be playing cricket for all I care! As long as there are people doing crazy things in the stands, it doesn't matter what's happening on the field."

"It's always a good time if you go with a lot of people. You connect more with your friends and family and the less you have to focus on what's actually happening on the field."

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2012, 08:56 AM
So after 2 threads of complaining that they are doing it wrong...

What would we like to see in a TFC ad?

We are by far the most critical but in a way least likely to change our opinions about going to a game because of an ad so although we'll see an ad before most of the rest of the local community we probably are not the target either.

nfitz
08-14-2012, 09:02 AM
It wasn't the fact that the game was rescheduled, it their attempt to make amends by issuing me unsold tickets to a game I already had tickets purchased for. The day they tried to make me a ticket agent was the day I gave up on the FO. There is no hope these people will ever get their act together.Wait, they gave you 3 games for the price of one, and you think this is something to complain about? We had a terrific light-show in the evening (I've never seen lightening like that in my life) and 10 AM match the next day was fantastic. And a year later, people are still whining?

As for the video ... the only time I'm ever in that corridor, I'm normally late for a GO Train (often heading to BMO!) - not sure I'd even notice someone as I run to my platform. I'm sure what happened, is exactly what they expected to happen. It's similar to the experiment when the Washington Post got a world-class violinist to play in a DC metro station a few years ago - there's a great article and video about it. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

eustacchio
08-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Where are these ads originally from anyway? Is it from the TFC website? I don't get/watch a lot of TV, but I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for TFC (outside of during a game or something like that). Perhaps they should start by aiming at a different target? If I'm on the TFC website, I'm probably already interested.

I might go to the occasional Blue Jays or Raptors game, but I don't ever visit their official sites. nor have I ever thought about doing so.

If these ads were actually from a form of media that I don't have to actively search out myself then please, pay no attention to the man behind this keyboard.

Canary10
08-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Wait, they gave you 3 games for the price of one, and you think this is something to complain about? We had a terrific light-show in the evening (I've never seen lightening like that in my life) and 10 AM match the next day was fantastic. And a year later, people are still whining?

As for the video ... the only time I'm ever in that corridor, I'm normally late for a GO Train (often heading to BMO!) - not sure I'd even notice someone as I run to my platform. I'm sure what happened, is exactly what they expected to happen. It's similar to the experiment when the Washington Post got a world-class violinist to play in a DC metro station a few years ago - there's a great article and video about it. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

Thanks for that link. It's not really the content then, it's that they didn't connect it well to the charitable campaign they are running. I repeat, charitable campaign. It's not an ad about Toronto FC or selling tickets.

Phil
08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
I am not a fan of that approch, it is an embarassment.

But

I worked downtown for over 10 years and that coridor is full of people running to their train at that time to get home. There is a very low chance that anyone would even attempt a stop because in some cases, you miss that train then you are waiting for the next one or you are not getting a seat.

Personally if I saw the guy there I wouldn't care about the train, but that is what makes the supporters nutters I guess.

eustacchio
08-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks for that link. It's not really the content then, it's that they didn't connect it well to the charitable campaign they are running. I repeat, charitable campaign. It's not an ad about Toronto FC or selling tickets.

Okay, I get it now.

Would it be worse if a lot of people stopped to kick a ball around or gave the violinist money instead of doing the same for someone who is homeless/hungry?

I may not give change often, but I always acknowledge the fact that someone is there by apologizing or wishing them luck. I honestly think the isolation and lonliness would be the worst parts.

(ps I haven't read the entire Washington Post article yet, so I apologize if some of this is in there)

Canary10
08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Okay, I get it now.

Would it be worse if a lot of people stopped to kick a ball around or gave the violinist money instead of doing the same for someone who is homeless/hungry?

I may not give change often, but I always acknowledge the fact that someone is there by apologizing or wishing them luck. I honestly think the isolation and lonliness would be the worst parts.

(ps I haven't read the entire Washington Post article yet, so I apologize if some of this is in there)

Sorry, that was directed at you in particular.

It was a reasonable idea, but they really did fall down in the execution of it.

eustacchio
08-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Sorry, that was directed at you in particular.

It was a reasonable idea, but they really did fall down in the execution of it.

No need to apologize. I didn't think you were calling me out.

cmonyoureds
08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
So after 2 threads of complaining that they are doing it wrong...

What would we like to see in a TFC ad?

We are by far the most critical but in a way least likely to change our opinions about going to a game because of an ad so although we'll see an ad before most of the rest of the local community we probably are not the target either.

"New lower pricing announced on all seats and concessions for the upcoming season" kinda has a nice advertising ring to it.

cmonyoureds
08-14-2012, 09:33 AM

Should I feel jaded because I firmly believe this has about 1% to do with the charity and 99% to do with tax write offs and "free" publicity?
(as per the links in another thread as to how much $ actually goes to the charity after corporate expenses etc.)

Suds
08-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Should I feel jaded because I firmly believe this has about 1% to do with the charity and 99% to do with tax write offs and "free" publicity?
(as per the links in another thread as to how much $ actually goes to the charity after corporate expenses etc.)

That goes for any one or any corporation that gives to charity. I get tax write-offs if I give enough to a recognized charity. I will not begrudge a corporation for donating money. I only have issue when corporations want my money for their charity campaigns and they take the write-off from my $$. I believe if they support and want to give to a charity it should come from their own pockets.

I know we're pretty cynical towards everything MLSE does. But the alternative is zero money going to support various charities. I don't think that helps anyone in the end.

OfficeGuy
08-14-2012, 10:48 AM

YES - bring back Rick Titus!!

Detroit_TFC
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
This video really pissed me off initially when I watched it yesterday but after giving it 5 minutes of thought, realized it is just a poorly made segment. if the segment had been better scripted in terms of the voice over or captions to make the intended point more clearly, it wouldn't have been a big deal. Instead, a lot of soccer people (TFC and non-TFC) drew the implicit point (nobody knows who the TFC captain is).

Anyway, I did just recall that skit Beckham did on the Ellen DeGeneres talk show a couple years ago. She had him in a Wal-Mart selling perfume or something and mostly people didn't recognize him either. Thierry Henry took the PATH to Red Bull Arena when he started with RBNY without any one hassling him. Probably says more about context than celebrity Q scores.

cherono
08-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Well, it's gone viral....
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/134732/torsten-frings-asks-people-of-toronto-to-play-pass-with-him-gets-utterly-ignored-for-six-hours-video.html

Gazza
08-14-2012, 11:38 AM
I feel bad for Fringgs.

I'm glad my Italian friends don't call it calcio in front of me, nor do they expect me to call it that.

UltraFootyKWC
08-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Me too. So embarassing.

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2012, 11:57 AM
^^I love saying calcio to Italian workmates. But I think that's just because I have to talk to them about it more than "our game". So if we're talking calcio, it's UEFA CL and the Azzuri teams involved. It's snobby elitist stuff but at least I can keep on them about local soccer.

London
08-14-2012, 01:06 PM
i was walking to the go tunnel before the game and there was easily 40 people walking in my direction. Then from out of the tunnel comes our STARTING KEEPER wearing a walking cast( in street clothes but i noticed instantly beacuse of the cast), at least 20 people walked past hime before 1 guy spotted him and said "hello". I watched as the rest of the pack walked right past him and didn't even have a clue.

so if TFC fans (they were all decked out in red) don't notice players right in front of them, i realy dont expect much from people commuting before or after work

eustacchio
08-14-2012, 01:11 PM
^ In all fairness, some people don't necessarily want to approach/bother 'famous' people when they are doing their own thing (though, I wouldn't doubt that the majority didn't recognize him).

The big difference is that in the Frings video, he's encouraging people to approach him via the sign.

brad
08-14-2012, 03:09 PM
I am not a fan of that approch, it is an embarassment.

But

I worked downtown for over 10 years and that coridor is full of people running to their train at that time to get home. There is a very low chance that anyone would even attempt a stop because in some cases, you miss that train then you are waiting for the next one or you are not getting a seat.

Personally if I saw the guy there I wouldn't care about the train, but that is what makes the supporters nutters I guess.

I would probably walk by him in that context. I'd have my headphones on and be in a bubble with most everything else tuned out.

In a different context, if it was, say King Street on a Saturday afternoon - I'd notice him in a heart beat.

TearsForCheers
08-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Just want to say I did my part today. Was in my usual zone on the subway this morning, but looked over and recognized Kocic sitting close by. Once I made eye contact, I asked how his nose was after Chicago (he said it's fine) and then wished him good luck for Wednesday. Come on you Reds!

spark
08-14-2012, 04:46 PM
This video really pissed me off initially when I watched it yesterday but after giving it 5 minutes of thought, realized it is just a poorly made segment. if the segment had been better scripted in terms of the voice over or captions to make the intended point more clearly, it wouldn't have been a big deal. Instead, a lot of soccer people (TFC and non-TFC) drew the implicit point (nobody knows who the TFC captain is).

Anyway, I did just recall that skit Beckham did on the Ellen DeGeneres talk show a couple years ago. She had him in a Wal-Mart selling perfume or something and mostly people didn't recognize him either. Thierry Henry took the PATH to Red Bull Arena when he started with RBNY without any one hassling him. Probably says more about context than celebrity Q scores.

I think you're right on that. Whatever it was 'trying' to be, it failed. The last part - nobody knows who Frings is - probably could have been avoided if they had put two and two together like most of us that the GO Train is the worst place to expect someone to stop and kick a ball around.

That last bit on Beckham - was actually a joke. He was in Wal-Mart selling his own perfume IIRC and was in a disguise. He was recognized and said he was Australian haha.

Cashcleaner
08-14-2012, 11:42 PM

Go back a few years and replace him with Danny Dichio or Dwayne De Rosario and we'd have a much different video, I bet.

T-boy
08-15-2012, 10:25 AM
If that was the middle of Berlin, people would be all over the guy!

The fact remains that "soccer" is way down the list of sports in North America. Even if that was DeRo, he still wouldn't be recognised enough. Imagine that was Chris Bosh in Toronto in his peak popularity - he'd be mobbed!

bertal
08-15-2012, 10:48 AM

this

DangerRed
08-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Agree with whoever said that if you think Frings is shaken by this, you underestimate his confidence. Did the video work flawlessly? I don't know, not for me. But I'll tell you this: there's a giant Thierry Henry statue outside Emirates for all the great stuff he has accomplished there. In New York, he has said he rides the fucking subway to work because no one recognizes/bothers him. It's how it is over here.

Also, to the original poster, I don't know if you're being serious, but I suspect... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZGHOxnCto

grizzle
08-16-2012, 01:25 AM
To go back to the OP, attendance is down because the prices are jacked and people are tired of getting screwed around with by the club.

brad
08-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Agree with whoever said that if you think Frings is shaken by this, you underestimate his confidence. Did the video work flawlessly? I don't know, not for me. But I'll tell you this: there's a giant Thierry Henry statue outside Emirates for all the great stuff he has accomplished there. In New York, he has said he rides the fucking subway to work because no one recognizes/bothers him. It's how it is over here.

It's also the reason that Frings is here. He's said repeatedly that the fact the he can walk down the street with his family like a normal person and not get mobbed is the big draw of Canada.

Oblio2
08-16-2012, 07:06 AM

THIS is exactly the reason I do not go anymore.

MartinUtd
08-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Wait, they gave you 3 games for the price of one, and you think this is something to complain about? We had a terrific light-show in the evening (I've never seen lightening like that in my life) and 10 AM match the next day was fantastic. And a year later, people are still whining?

They didn't "give" me anything. I got a rained out game that I paid for, attended, and was cut short and nullified after multiple delays. A 10AM weekday morning repeat and then a surplus ticket for a game I already had purchased that never had a hope in hell of even 75% capacity. What the fuck am I supposed to be thankful for?

SoccMan
08-16-2012, 07:56 PM
This team is dying a slow death and good on them, 6 years of futility has killed off a good fan base, it's over people the days of BMO being a packed house game in game out those days are gone, finito you understand the words coming out of my mouth. The people are gone and they aint coming back. MLSE has burned too many bridges and it will take a miracle to bring people back. Furthermore, BMO field needs major upgrades, it's a joke of a stadium even Saputo Stadium in Montreal looks more like a soccer stadium than BMO. BMO is better suited for CFL Football than soccer. If you think attendance was down this year well you aint seen nothing yet next years attendance will make Crew Stadium look like a full house compared to BMO. It's over people MLSE fucked it up big time they have only themselves to blame!

tovan
08-16-2012, 08:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5cjjt2s1ZA&feature=BFa&list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw

Why the hell is TFC TV doing movie actor interviews??

Furtado91
08-16-2012, 08:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5cjjt2s1ZA&feature=BFa&list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw

soon tfc Tv will be like ET if it keeps going in that direction ahaha. Soon rachel will be talking about Tom crusies new romance, and Michael Jacksons family feuds.

Thomas
08-16-2012, 08:44 PM
It sounds like you are speaking on behalf of many folks. That may be true, but speaking for myself....I am still going to the games, and on the whole, am enjoying going there. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but it also kind of sounds like you are hoping that your projection holds true, and attendence dries up.

This team is dying a slow death and good on them, 6 years of futility has killed off a good fan base, it's over people the days of BMO being a packed house game in game out those days are gone, finito you understand the words coming out of my mouth. The people are gone and they aint coming back. MLSE has burned too many bridges and it will take a miracle to bring people back. Furthermore, BMO field needs major upgrades, it's a joke of a stadium even Saputo Stadium in Montreal looks more like a soccer stadium than BMO. BMO is better suited for CFL Football than soccer. If you think attendance was down this year well you aint seen nothing yet next years attendance will make Crew Stadium look like a full house compared to BMO. It's over people MLSE fucked it up big time they have only themselves to blame!

narduch
08-16-2012, 08:48 PM

Because MLSE is all about money, and some big Hollywood studio probably paid them for the promotion.

Derko
08-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Are you still at TFC Matches, I ask? If so good on you because YOU will keep it alive as well as I will. If you are not at TFC matches then you are part of the problem, as well as management.
By bailing out. Just my opinon

Fort York Redcoat
08-17-2012, 07:55 AM

It's interesting to me that the crowds MLSE expected at the outset, at the inception of the team, when they built the cookie-cutter stadium (without gridiron in mind btw) are the crowds MLSE are getting now. Some people like yourself are talking as if our beginnings, the way it was so successful out the gate, is the norm and how it should always be. That's what we hope for. That the initial shine on the team gets re enforced with better results to keep that atmo we love.

But instead Toronto has been shown how weary it can be to follow a struggling team on the pitch. That's the norm with MLS. Just like the rest of the league has been proven right in the fact that Toronto support had to go through the terrible times to prove they were best long term, they show us that teams and supporters can get through terrible times as well.

It's frustrating but the time for "End is Nigh" talk is a bit insular and naive. Take a look around the league at teams with better results still getting less people in seats and their support not as pessimistic about closing the doors.