PDA

View Full Version : Pre/Game Thread: Toronto FC vs Portland Timbers Wed, Aug.15 @ 7:30pm on TSN

[NBF]
08-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Hello, I figured it was time to start the game thread. Similar teams with similar records and Timbers havent won in 6 games so far. I think this one will be a tough battle.

Stress
08-14-2012, 09:42 AM
I hate to do it but given the amount of players we have missing I think there could be some money to be made on Portland. Half the back line is going to be changed (Emory & Henry out) which could create some communication/positioning issues as guys are adjusting to their new partners. Dunfields absence could go either way and should be interesting to see. I think RJ's absence will hurt too as his work rate and physical ability is much better than the depth players we picked up recently (IMO). Looking at Portlands website, it looks like only 2 depth players will be MIA due to international call ups. Bet 365 is offering 7.2 on Portland -1 AH and it might be worth a cheeky punt as I'm really worried about our defense. We have had some extra time to prepare in training so hopefully it'll be enough to get a plan together and have the projected starting 11 comfortable with it. Prove me wrong TFC!

Suds
08-14-2012, 10:10 AM
With Henry, Dunfield, and Johnson all away on Int'l duty we're in very tough. Molinaro just tweeted that Hall is not fit for tomorrow night either and Dicoy Williams is also away.

We are going to have a number of players out there who have not played much recently. I guess that can go either way. They could all step up to show they deserve more playing time or the rust of not getting many minutes could bite us in the ass. My concern is how tired these players may get as the game goes on and what mistakes they may make.

T-boy
08-14-2012, 10:14 AM
International Duty:
Henry
Williams
Dunfield
Johnson

Suspended:
Emory

Injured:
Hall

Any more to add to that list?

ouderwien
08-14-2012, 10:15 AM
I wonder how many will be on the bench for this game. If Mariner is dressing six when we have a full roster, there will be just the starting eleven today.

OR maybe finally some of our academy graduates will play!

Suds
08-14-2012, 10:16 AM
^^
Cann has said he's ready to go but I don't know if the TFC medical staff have given the OK.

ouderwien
08-14-2012, 10:17 AM
International Duty:
Henry
Williams
Dunfield
Johnson

Suspended:
Emory

Injured:
Hall

According to mlssoccer.com, Stinson is out as well.

Stress
08-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Any thoughts on a potential starting 11?

Kocic
Ecks Maund/Harden Cann Morgan
Frings
Lambe Silva Avila
Wiedeman Hassli

lobo
08-14-2012, 10:35 AM
International Duty:
Henry
Williams
Dunfield
Johnson
O'Dea

Suspended:
Emory

Injured:
Hall

o'dee with ireland

T-boy
08-14-2012, 10:37 AM
International Duty:
Henry
Williams
Dunfield
Johnson
O'Dea

Suspended:
Emory

Injured:
Hall
Stinson

Updated.

daner90
08-14-2012, 11:28 AM
From Kurt Larsson Probable 11: Kocic, Morgan, Cann, Ecks, Harden, Maund, Frings, Avila, Silva, Lambe, Hassli

Maund will be playing in the midfield and the team will be playing a 4-4-1-1

asterix606
08-14-2012, 12:01 PM
It's the Battle of the Losers!

TFC at 19 points
Portland at 20 points

We lose and we are -4 points down to the second worst team in MLS.

Our players need to give 150% and win for pride!!!

lobo
08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
From Kurt Larsson Probable 11: Kocic, Morgan, Cann, Ecks, Harden, Maund, Frings, Avila, Silva, Lambe, Hassli

Maund will be playing in the midfield and the team will be playing a 4-4-1-1

uh. hmmm. the return of harden. glad its portland. hope we have a defender or two on the bench? check that ... hope we have a bench.

[NBF]
08-14-2012, 01:44 PM
How is Maund being used in midfield?

ManUtd4ever
08-14-2012, 02:58 PM
If it was me, I would go with this in light of all the players that are out of the lineup...

-----------------Kocic----------------

Eckersley--Harden--Cann--Morgan

Lambe---------Frings----------Avila

-----------------Silva----------------

--------Hassli--------Wiedeman----

T-boy
08-14-2012, 03:16 PM
I assume we can't just promote an academy player for this one game? We would have to sign him up fully to the roster? (otherwise I was thinking if TFC could put Pasher in the squad tomorrow to cover RB).

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2012, 03:19 PM
If it was me, I would go with this in light of all the players that are out of the lineup...

-----------------Kocic----------------

Lambe---------Frings----------Avila

-----------------Silva----------------

--------Hassli--------Wiedeman----

I would get Silva up front with Hassli as I find he is invisible in midfield and our old school CB pairing, now with ample rust, scares me so much I think you'd have to put Stinson or Maund in a DM role (maybe both) to keep things reasonable.

Probably have Amerikwa and Maund coming off the bench depending on the situation. Wiedeman over Maund if we are down one late.

--------------Kocic--------------

Lambe---Frings--Stinson-----Avila

--------Hassli--------Silva----

Red CB Toronto
08-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Stinson is out with injury.

I would get Silva up front with Hassli as I find he is invisible in midfield and our old school CB pairing, now with ample rust, scares me so much I think you'd have to put Stinson or Maund in a DM role (maybe both) to keep things reasonable.

Probably have Amerikwa, Stinson, and Maund coming off the bench depending on the situation. Wiedeman over Maund if we are down one late.

--------------Kocic--------------

Lambe---Frings--Stinson-----Avila

--------Hassli--------Silva----

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2012, 03:39 PM
What will probably happen is that Maund will start and we'll go up 1 nil fairly early and coast (with ample chances on goal) for about an hour. At which time I will turn to my friend Brian and say 'You know, Maund isn't that bad at CB. Maybe he just needed to get his shit together in training.". Then within two minutes he'll get caught sticking his thumb up his arse while watching Boyd wrong side him and get the tying goal with an easy tap in. Then we'll push ahead for the win but since we'd already subbed off Hassli & Lambe for Wiedeman & Harden, we have nothing of quality going forward but poor passes and squandered half chances and therefore settle for a 1-1 draw.

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Stinson is out with injury.

Awesome. Maund it is.

Joe Kool
08-14-2012, 03:48 PM
I am not saying Emory is a make or break player but really sucks that he couldn't serve his suspension in the Crew game like it was scheduled originally. At least we would not have the extra missing guys for international duty when he was serving the suspension. Now we get an extra hit by doing the right thing for the Crew game and MLS doesn't really care. I guess it isn't the first time they didn't really care if we could have a decent lineup or bench. I hope they can pull it out.

khso11
08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
What I preffered (4-4-2)

Kocic
Eck-Harden-Cann-Morgan
Lambe-Frings-Stinson-Avila
Hassli-Silva

What we will see tomorrow(4-4-2)

Kocic
Maund-Eck-Cann-Morgan
Lambe-Frings-Stinson-Silva
Hassli-Amarikwa

reggie
08-14-2012, 09:34 PM
wow we have 5 internationals on our club,not too many teams in the world can say that
Harden iv .....HEEE'S BACK, its like a bad horror movie.

TFC07
08-14-2012, 10:27 PM
I don't think Harden is going to be play that bad under Mariner's system (4-4-2).

Anyway, this should be an easy win for TFC. Portland is an awful team!

maninb
08-15-2012, 07:23 AM
When was the last time TFC had an "easy" league game??? I don't remember one except maybe in Year 2, when they won 4-0....

Fort York Redcoat
08-15-2012, 08:23 AM
I don't think Harden is going to be play that bad under Mariner's system (4-4-2).

Anyway, this should be an easy win for TFC. Portland is an awful team!

I hope you're right. Play to Wynne, not to Ty! (Sorry I couldn't resist.) Tonight we could really use Efrain Burgos Jr. as well...

Pookie
08-15-2012, 08:57 AM
If there was ever a cream puff team waiting to be beaten, it is Portland. 3 points is the expectation.

Super
08-15-2012, 09:32 AM
We should probably hope for a loss. Finishing last gives better draft picks and more allocation money. Why shoot ourselves in the foot now that the play-offs is out of the picture. Remember: MLS rewards losers. The more you lose, the more they give you.

Fort York Redcoat
08-15-2012, 09:35 AM
We should probably hope for a loss. Finishing last gives better draft picks and more allocation money. Why shoot ourselves in the foot now that the play-offs is out of the picture. Remember: MLS rewards losers. The more you lose, the more they give you.

Ugh. Never. Hated that attitude following the Raptors and Leafs and detest it even more in this sport of ours.

p.s. The derision is reserved for the attitude of this particular NA strategy. Not you personally, Supes. :)

Super
08-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Ugh. Never. Hated that attitude following the Raptors and Leafs and detest it even more in this sport of ours.

p.s. The derision is reserved for the attitude of these particular NA strategies. Not you personally, Supes. :)

I hear ya. It's just a very strange feeling that if we win it will hurt us next year. Kinda depresses me. But then the difference between finishing 15-19 is probably not THAT great anyway.

3 points for tonight then. Let's see what Mariner can do with this team.

Fort York Redcoat
08-15-2012, 09:45 AM
^One additional point to make is that at present we have 1 first round pick. That's it. Our round 2 went to Dallas for Jeremy Hall so enjoy him.

Canary10
08-15-2012, 09:58 AM
I hear ya. It's just a very strange feeling that if we win it will hurt us next year. Kinda depresses me. But then the difference between finishing 15-19 is probably not THAT great anyway.

3 points for tonight then. Let's see what Mariner can do with this team.

I'd rather finish second from the bottom. The second pick tends to work out better than the first one in MLS. So three points tonight!

Gazza
08-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. (Are they gonna drop a bomb on us?)

Weedman and Hassli begin their partnership for the ages tonight. 2-1 to the good guys.

T-boy
08-15-2012, 10:19 AM
What I preffered (4-4-2)

Kocic
Eck-Harden-Cann-Morgan
Lambe-Frings-Stinson-Avila
Hassli-Silva

What we will see tomorrow(4-4-2)

Kocic
Maund-Eck-Cann-Morgan
Lambe-Frings-Stinson-Silva
Hassli-Amarikwa

I actually prefer team 2. I'm not sure I would put both Harden AND Cann at CB tonight - that's asking a lot of two players who essentially haven't played in months! I think keeping Ecks at CB tonight would at least give us somebody with a bit of pace at CB.

I'll go for:

Kocic
Maund-Ecks-Cann-Morgan
Lambe-Frings-Avila-Wiedeman
Hassli-Silva

Harden can sub on for Cann half way through as both leir legs won't get a whole game. Amerikwa on for Wiedemen just for some fresh and fast legs in the second half sometime.

khso11
08-15-2012, 11:53 AM
I actually prefer team 2. I'm not sure I would put both Harden AND Cann at CB tonight - that's asking a lot of two players who essentially haven't played in months! I think keeping Ecks at CB tonight would at least give us somebody with a bit of pace at CB.

I'll go for:

Kocic
Maund-Ecks-Cann-Morgan
Lambe-Frings-Avila-Wiedeman
Hassli-Silva

Harden can sub on for Cann half way through as both leir legs won't get a whole game. Amerikwa on for Wiedemen just for some fresh and fast legs in the second half sometime.

Idk, the reason I didn't put Maund in for my preffered line-up is because I have never seen him as a consistant player. Harden might not be good in technical football but in hoofball football, this guy MIGHT be good (i remember Harden having solid games when Preki was here). Plus I was never a fan of playing Eck at CB, I think he is more outgoing on the tackles when he's at RB than in CB.

And Wiedeman, after seeing his performance in the CD Aguila game, it's just really hard to put him on the starting XI instead of Stinson. Maybe a late sub would be nice.

T-boy
08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
^ Stinson is injured, so that's why I chose Wiedeman in his place.

ag futbol
08-15-2012, 12:46 PM
I think today is a good chance just to sit back, enjoy the game and not worry about any shit.

Big picture, game means nothing ... hopefully we'll see some guys battling out there and some good play from guys who don't normally see the field.

Gilberto9
08-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Thundershowers expected for this evening. Will the game be called off?

Joe Kool
08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Thundershowers expected for this evening. Will the game be called off?

The ref will make the call if lightning then they will wait it out for a bit before calling the game to see if it will stop. I don't have time to go see them play tomorrow morning so I sure as hell hope not.

Canary10
08-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Interesting little subtext is this is the battle of goals of the year contenders. Hassli, who should have won, and Nagbe, who should not have won. Let's a give Nagbe a BMO welcome tonight. (as said here: http://typicaltfc.ca/?)p=761

Greatest Ripoff
08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (http://twitter.com/torontofc)
#TorontoFC (http://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) XI: Kocic; Harden, Eckersley, Cann, Morgan; Lambe, Frings, Maund, Avila; Silva, Hassli

#TorontoFC (http://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) substitutes: F. Hall; Cordon, Makubuya, Wiedeman, Amarikwa

Harden at RB? I really hope Cordon or Makubuya can get a game tonight. Says a lot if they can't get in.

asterix606
08-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I think today is a good chance just to sit back, enjoy the game and not worry about any shit.

Big picture, game means nothing ... hopefully we'll see some guys battling out there and some good play from guys who don't normally see the field.

Good point! Its crazy to think that there is still 36% of the season left to be played!

And our games already mean nothing at this point (or a few games even before that).

NO PLAYOFFS FOR A 6TH SEASON

bigredone
08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Good point! Its crazy to think that there is still 36% of the season left to be played!

And our games already mean nothing at this point (or a few games even before that).

NO PLAYOFFS FOR A 6TH SEASON

Yes, but club world cup.........(bigredone bursts into laughter)

I just love it for the game now. Little pride left in 2012. Playing for pride is a funny thing IMO. We already had the "worst team in the world" label. The best thing is every team we beat feels awful, that's it!!!

*I just saw the Fringes commercial for the first time and am feeling extra cynical.

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Quiet....and about 8K actually there?

Dkolish3
08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm sure there's people there but a lot of them must be hiding

Considering that the announced attendance will be 17,000

bigredone
08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Very empty! I like the Timbers Army and they seem pretty crazy in the stands. Glad they did not send a few that I can see or hear. We probs would hear them.

Our D, looks decent so far!

bigredone
08-15-2012, 06:50 PM
17000????? under 7000 for the aquila game

They must have counted tits and testicles

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 06:53 PM
This is a game crying out for Terry Dunfield and his probing runs from midfield.

Well...maybe not but Frings hanging around the top of their 18 indicates to me that Portland are not pressing.

Dkolish3
08-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Well at least no one's watching.

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Hassli....ball watching......

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Zizzo looks like AVB....and that's the most interesting part of this game.

And of course we have only 31% possession.

asterix606
08-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Did I hear right!!!

Portland has only scored 2 goals on the road this season in 10 games!!!

And they are 0-8-2!!!

daner90
08-15-2012, 07:09 PM
this game has been deja vu all over again from the game in Chicago. Team looks listless out there and doesn't seem to be much hope of taking 3 points tonight

barticusz
08-15-2012, 07:10 PM
How does Harden get into this lineup in the first place.. and then at right back of all positions. As much as I disliked Winter for constantly putting him in, at least he played him in a spot where he can do something.

This hoofball is entertaining though ...

hoof.. defend
hoof ... defend
hoof... goal against.

TFC07
08-15-2012, 07:24 PM
How does Harden get into this lineup in the first place.. and then at right back of all positions. As much as I disliked Winter for constantly putting him in, at least he played him in a spot where he can do something.

This hoofball is entertaining though ...

hoof.. defend
hoof ... defend
hoof... goal against.

But yet there are people here supporting Mariner and this brand of soccer.

gracos
08-15-2012, 07:24 PM
I truly believe TFC would do a lot better with a style similiar to Spains tiki-taka, but we rush our play and kick the ball away, to the competition before we can take a shot on net

daner90
08-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow that was a terrible half of football. I love this team but that was tough to stay focused on watching it was so boring lol

asterix606
08-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow! 0-1 at the end of the 1st.

Are we (TFC fans)?

1. A very suicidal bunch.
2. Idiots paying MLSE good money for nothing.
3. Enjoy being sodomized week after week, year after year.

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 07:29 PM
But yet there are people here supporting Mariner and this brand of soccer.

The anti-Winter makes em feel good. I suspect he will be saying we lack energy and commitment....blah blah blah blah.

Maund's patheticness is making this a lot worse though.

Carefree
08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
So glad I ended up not going to the game tonight. That first half was painful to watch.

narduch
08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
#TorontoFC (http://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) XI: Kocic; Harden, Eckersley, Cann, Morgan; Lambe, Frings, Maund, Avila; Silva, Hassli

#TorontoFC (http://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) substitutes: F. Hall; Cordon, Makubuya, Wiedeman, Amarikwa

Harden at RB? I really hope Cordon or Makubuya can get a game tonight. Says a lot if they can't get in.

And as expected, TFC once again with out a full bench.

I'm guessing Wiedeman and Amarikwa get into the match at some point, but Cordon and Makubuya don't see the field.

Gazza
08-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Weedman will save this game with his brilliance. Without the inspirational leader in Legendary Terry on the field, someone has to step up.

Pookie
08-15-2012, 07:37 PM
And as expected, TFC once again with out a full bench.

I'm guessing Wiedeman and Amarikwa get into the match at some point, but Cordon and Makubuya don't see the field.

I am in BC right now so can't see the game. That said, I am seeing that in the first half we are outshot 7-4. Out possessed 58-42% and outscored... at home to the next to worst place team in the league. A team with half our payroll.

Seems about right :facepalm:

narduch
08-15-2012, 07:39 PM
And there you go. Wiedeman in for Lambe.

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Lambe injured his knee.....

sideshow
08-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Nice goal. Great header to Silva. I thought Silva's shot was a little pour, but a nice follow up by Hassli. Welcome to TO!

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
And now we see why Portland is sooooooo pathetic.

A bit more pressure this half which is good. Still, not all that good.

A here comes Amerikwa....

Dkolish3
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
See that first touch by Amarikwa now I know why we just had to get him

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 08:00 PM
WELL taken.....very well taken.

Gazza
08-15-2012, 08:00 PM
All Weedman. Inspirational!

TFC07
08-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Finally TFC are playing better! They're actually passing the ball around.

That's more like it!

Ajax TFC
08-15-2012, 08:06 PM
so who scored the two goals? I stepped outside for a couple minutes and missed them both

Soccerpro
08-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Ecks with a bad giveaway which leads to a 2 on none for Portland. Luckily Kocic saves.

Distrubution is a big at CB for a good team...

TFCwestcan
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Really, I am in the Okanogan and the game is on tsn

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Hassli is gassed...

Soccerpro
08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Hassli is pretty error prone at the moment

TFCwestcan
08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Who can they bring on? Perhaps one up front defensive shell but not quite yet.

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Amerikwa needs to learn he doesn't have to always figure out a way to beat the last man.

DOMIN8R
08-15-2012, 08:16 PM
streams pretty please?

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 08:18 PM
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/135590/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-portland-timbers.html

Dkolish3
08-15-2012, 08:18 PM
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/135590/4/watch-toronto-fc-vs-portland-timbers.html

also there is always a stream at this site, ALWAYS

DOMIN8R
08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/135590/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-portland-timbers.html

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/boopermh/God_bless_you.jpg

TFCwestcan
08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Fuck and we are tied, sheesh.

Soccerpro
08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
To me, Ecks is a constant disaster waiting to happen tonight. Portland were unlucky not to get a penalty when Ecks took the striker down from behind in the box.

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 08:23 PM
18773 tickets sold

DoubleUp
08-15-2012, 08:24 PM
jackass move taking out Hassli.....no matter how tired.

TFCwestcan
08-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Silva is quality who will improve.

Soccerpro
08-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Frings sure doesn't look like a DP tonight. He just looks....old.

DoubleUp
08-15-2012, 08:28 PM
I know he's not a favourite but amerikwa has been lively, and looks like the best pure wing option we have atm.

azorean19
08-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Silva is quality who will improve.

QFT !!!....Best We Got !...watch them trade him

DoubleUp
08-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Frings sure doesn't look like a DP tonight. He just looks....old.

your brave man!:cheers:

OgtheDim
Fair result.....

Soccerpro
Silva is quality. Quincy A looked good on the wings when he decides to pass.

gracos
08-15-2012, 08:33 PM
remember we didnt have our full squad tonight, if we did we probably would of won easily

DoubleUp
08-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Silva is quality. Quincy A looked good on the wings when he decides to pass.

Only problem I seen with his play. Tries to overplay at time.

DoubleUp
08-15-2012, 08:34 PM
remember we didnt have our full squad tonight, if we did we probably would of won easily

no excuses! points were ours, with essentially 12 minutes left.

gracos
08-15-2012, 08:38 PM
no excuses! points were ours, with essentially 12 minutes left.

I am trying to make it feel not so bad, just thinking about Hassli - Koovermans frontline and can't wait to see O'Dea play on saturday

brad
08-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Sad night tonight. Tonight was te first TFC game I've been to in 6 years (and I've been to most) where the away supporters owned our supporters.

Tonight - it was the Timbers Army's House.

ag futbol
08-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah there were a load of tourists in the middle of 113. bit of a dead zone.

Game itself. Silva was solid, hasli looked a little off.. Sure he'll come around. Maund look like JdG at times refusing to get in there and break up play.

This team really needs some better wide players. Watching the inability to take on the man and lack of pass / move is frustrating. Everybody is a step slow anticipating. Silva would look a lot better still if we gave him some better passing options

asterix606
08-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Points per game average

Toronto 0.87
Montréal 1.27
Vancouver 1.52

TFC

#1 in MLS for worst PPG average. (0.87)

#1 for worst team in MLS. (20 points)

Tied #1 for least number of wins. (5)

#2 for worst Goal Diff. (-15)

#2 for worst HOME record (12 points)

DAMN!! I cant support this crap anymore!!!!

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM
DAMN!! I cant support this crap anymore!!!!

You've been saying that for weeks.

And yet you are still here?

asterix606
08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
You've been saying that for weeks.

And yet you are still here?

Sorry! I meant, I cant support this crap financially .

Im out after 4 seasons of being a STH with my good friend. I'll still watch games, but NO MORE MONEY SPENT.

Greatest Ripoff
08-15-2012, 10:17 PM
I liked what I saw of Makubuya. Had a nice turn of pace and was able to stretch the defence. Was he close to scoring on that free kick? I sit in the north end and couldn't really see.

Feel bad for Hassli, he always get called for the offensive foul.

Voodooman
08-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Man didn't realize Celtic and Rangers fans hate each other that much. But seeing two Rangers fans fight was strange. Whoever was in 110-111 knows what im talking about.

Otherwise, the game had its moments of pure house league play to solid play such as the 2nd TFC goal. We had a chance to put the game away and we didn't. And yes that free kick off the touch of Makubuya was inches away.

ag futbol
08-15-2012, 10:25 PM
I liked what I saw of Makubuya. Had a nice turn of pace and was able to stretch the defence. Was he close to scoring on that free kick? I sit in the north end and couldn't really see.

Feel bad for Hassli, he always get called for the offensive foul.
He was pretty close. I had a perfect view of it from where I sat in 113. That ball came in pretty fast through traffic, he almost put the right touch on it to steer it on goal... basically no time to react to it.

MG42
08-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Man didn't realize Celtic and Rangers fans hate each other that much. But seeing two Rangers fans fight was strange. Whoever was in 110-111 knows what im talking about.

Otherwise, the game had its moments of pure house league play to solid play such as the 2nd TFC goal. We had a chance to put the game away and we didn't. And yes that free kick off the touch of Makubuya was inches away.

That one skinny guy was chirping all game and I think the other rangers supporters were getting pissed at him

Voodooman
08-15-2012, 10:33 PM
That one skinny guy was chirping all game and I think the other rangers supporters were getting pissed at him

couldnt hear him all the time, but sounded like he was cheering on Portland at parts of the game...? In other words, he had too many drinks

OgtheDim
08-15-2012, 10:36 PM
I really hope we are not going to have issues with fans of that new 3rd division team in Scotland and our new defender. I would have hoped we were past that here.

MG42
08-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Too many drinks sums it up I think lol....saw him getting cuffed outside the stadium

Voodooman
08-15-2012, 10:42 PM
No shocker there, honestly when you start throwing beers, you know you went too far. Because you paid so much for that beer, you wouldn't want to throw that away haha

Toronto_Bhoy
08-15-2012, 10:58 PM

Scotland's Shame rears it's ugly head at BMO.

Too bad, a couple of his own tried to help him out by attempting to shut him up but he and a few other clowns wouldn't have any of it.

The result was him embarrassing his club and fellow supporters.

boozilla
08-15-2012, 11:46 PM
A non-affiliated fan mis-conducting himself is a highlight.
I spent $0 at BMO tonight. It feels good. Try it.

reggie
08-15-2012, 11:57 PM
shame on TFC for not doing anything with some of the local girls on the CNWT tonight.
this FO has no clue.

burlington Red
08-16-2012, 08:01 AM
I really hope we are not going to have issues with fans of that new 3rd division team in Scotland and our new defender. I would have hoped we were past that here.

Can't see any problem in that regard, the fans of the Scottish 3rd division team only attended this game to see Kris Boyd for Portland, him being their greatest striker of all time who couldn't cut it at Boro in Championship , and at 29 finds himself playing for one of the worst teams in MLS. You'll only see the majority of that riff raff in 110 last night for Portland games.

brad
08-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Was this the game that MLSE marketed to the Rangers supporters club (or was that some other game to the Celtic supporters - I forget)?

ryan
08-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Was this the game that MLSE marketed to the Rangers supporters club (or was that some other game to the Celtic supporters - I forget)?

Yes. Those Rangers fans, who were told to come cheer for Portland, and were picked to be seated by TFC supporters, was all organized by the TFC FUCKING FO.

Stupid fucking cunts is putting it generously. God damn what bloody dumb assholes this team is run by. I really hate this shit.

Fort York Redcoat
08-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Yes. Those Rangers fans, who were told to come cheer for Portland, and were picked to be seated by TFC supporters, was all organized by the TFC FUCKING FO.

Stupid fucking cunts is putting it generously. God damn what bloody dumb assholes this team is run by. I really hate this shit.

If this is the case then that means they changed the location they originally intended to seat them most likely for pricepoint. Initially I believe they were to be seated behind the Portland bench.

Duct Tape
08-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Scotland's Shame rears it's ugly head at BMO.

Too bad, a couple of his own tried to help him out by attempting to shut him up but he and a few other clowns wouldn't have any of it.

The result was him embarrassing his club and fellow supporters.

I hung my head from 119 across the field when i realized it was a guy in a Rangers shirt getting dragged out (though I'm a bit surprised that it sounds like he might of been fighting Rangers fans rather than the usual getting into it with a Celtic fan for no reason other than in-bred stupidity). As if the club given its atrocious management into almost oblivion in recent years and the morons who still think being sectarian is ok haven't given us a bad enough name, we don't need Rangers fans (or Celtic fans) bringing that stupidity to our games. That's why i've never worn anything Rangers to a TFC game, why would i, that's a team i support but not the team i am at the game to support. Most of the guys in 119 are Celtic fans and know i'm a Rangers fan, but other than good natured ribbing with friends, it never comes up at TFC games.

The last thing i ever want is any hint of the kind of stupidity that has frankly brought the Scottish game to the edge of oblivion being brought here.

Sigh, that is all kinds of stupid, but entirely sounds like something the FO would do. Sometimes a little bit of thought goes a long way. There are an awful lot of places in the stadium they could have price pointed them where they weren't near the south stands or the NW Corner supporters sections...but doing so clearly would be too obvious.

Gazza
08-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Will they be promoting to Ranger's fans again? "Come out and throw slurs and insults at former Celtic captain Darren O'Dea! Be there or be square!"

I still barely know who Kris Boyd is. Terrible marketing by MLSE.

Parkdale
08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
my question - why do they even have cops on the sideline if they aren't willing to be involved with anything?

the cop in the front of 112/111 watched the entire thing and never once reached for his radio. Even if he wasn't going to get involved, he could have radioed in a call to someone who would. Instead he just watched the shitshow like everyone else.

Fort York Redcoat
08-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Sad night tonight. Tonight was te first TFC game I've been to in 6 years (and I've been to most) where the away supporters owned our supporters.

Tonight - it was the Timbers Army's House.

Wow. I'm glad I don't I'm not where you were. It may've been a slow start but the South was jumping last night. The TA had 2 dozen (well travelled. full props.) jumping for a lot of the game but by no means could we even here them where we were.

Duct Tape
08-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Wow. I'm glad I don't I'm not where you were. It may've been a slow start but the South was jumping last night. The TA had 2 dozen (well travelled. full props.) jumping for a lot of the game but by no means could we even here them where we were.

Having sat for a couple of years with partial packs about 15 rows in front of the visiting fans section, being in that area if the home supporters in the section are quiet, is a completely different atmosphere where you think the opposing fans are dominating the stadium. From 119 you could see the Timbers fans going, but certainly we couldn't hear them over 111-113 and the SE corner.

Perspective is everything on that one i think.

Auzzy
08-16-2012, 10:03 AM
So Mariner acknowledges the slow start, and says in the post-game interview that there were "choice words" at halftime.

Next time, how about some "choice words" before the game starts? This isn't the first time we've seen this. Much of the Chicago game was also lethargic, and we've seen it for spurts at other times. I realize there were many first-team guys missing last night, and short portions of the game were actually better than I expected. Other times were piss poor. But there's no excuse for the frequent lethargy. Everyone had plenty of time to rest for this game. What's up, I thought Mariner was the great motivator? (Not compared to any other coach; just compared to what I expected from him.) We shall see, was that a new-manager bounce which is coming to an end?

BTW, I hope that Hassli's injury isn't serious. Maybe the same ankle as before...?

Canary10
08-16-2012, 10:11 AM
So Mariner acknowledges the slow start, and says in the post-game interview that there were "choice words" at halftime.

Next time, how about some "choice words" before the game starts? This isn't the first time we've seen this. Much of the Chicago game was also lethargic, and we've seen it for spurts at other times. I realize there were many first-team guys missing last night, and short portions of the game were actually better than I expected. Other times were piss poor. But there's no excuse for the frequent lethargy. Everyone had plenty of time to rest for this game. What's up, I thought Mariner was the great motivator? (Not compared to any other coach; just compared to what I expected from him.) We shall see, was that a new-manager bounce which is coming to an end?

BTW, I hope that Hassli's injury isn't serious. Maybe the same ankle as before...?

Yeah, the slow start seems to be a habit at this point. The game reminded me a lot of the Colorado game actually. Incredibly poor first half. Definitely a better second with much more energy. But not as much possession as the Colorado game and obviously we didn't get the win. Definitely need to do better coming out the gate, or we'll be down 2 or 3-0 before we know it on Saturday.

lobo
08-16-2012, 10:45 AM
my question - why do they even have cops on the sideline if they aren't willing to be involved with anything?

the cop in the front of 112/111 watched the entire thing and never once reached for his radio. Even if he wasn't going to get involved, he could have radioed in a call to someone who would. Instead he just watched the shitshow like everyone else.

not everyone else ... but yeah, lots of ppl were more interested in the scuffle in 110 ... outside of our two goals, the biggest cheer of the night came when the dude was hauled out. at the same time, while the big cheer was going on, portland was attacking the TFC goal. it was surreal to watch and hear that. i think most ppl missed it, seeing how some drunken idiot is far more fascinating than what we all paid to see.

biggest disappointment for me last night was seeing the vitriol and contempt coming from the middle of 112 directed toward 113 after portland tied the game ... U-sec was singing bohemian rhapsody when they scored, a large chunk in the middle of 112 (RPB?) started chanting 'It's all your fault" and pointing at 113. Might have been in jest, but it didn't seem like it. There was some real fury coming from some guys. And some real defensive postures and angry replies coming back from people in 113. Did not like that at all. Don't know if they were RPB or not in the middle of 112, assume some of you were, but whoever you are you looked like ridiculous fools.

It's not bad enough that the team we support stinks, and it's not bad enough that the majority of supporters sections are now sitting down and quietly watching games (or texting/tweeting with heads down for 90 mins), but in the one small area of the stadium where where we still have a tiny pocket of loud and proud supporters, we are now turning on each other along sectarian lines. Fuck. We should be coming together. We are a shadow of what we once were.

U-Sec singing bohemian rhapsody didnt cause the portland goal ... our piss poor defending last night did! Wake the fuck up.

sloangraham
08-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. Any reason why the Timbers Army was permitted to put up large banners in the south end? Has this happened with traveling supporters before? Seems uncool.

Couchy81
08-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. Any reason why the Timbers Army was permitted to put up large banners in the south end? Has this happened with traveling supporters before? Seems uncool.Is that what that green monstrosity was?? I was wondering...

Fort York Redcoat
08-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. Any reason why the Timbers Army was permitted to put up large banners in the south end? Has this happened with traveling supporters before? Seems uncool.

Supporters solidarity for General Admission. It wasn't the TA but Toronto fans who put it up.

brad
08-16-2012, 11:21 AM

See this for more details :

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?32356-Why-It-s-Vital-That-The-Timbers-Army-Sections-Remain-General-Admission

Polk around the hashtag if you want more deets, but it seems like folks in Toronto probably put it up for them.

Doesn't bother me - it's about solidarity of supporters in dealing with off field issues.

Phil
08-16-2012, 11:24 AM
not everyone else ... but yeah, lots of ppl were more interested in the scuffle in 110 ... outside of our two goals, the biggest cheer of the night came when the dude was hauled out. at the same time, while the big cheer was going on, portland was attacking the TFC goal. it was surreal to watch and hear that. i think most ppl missed it, seeing how some drunken idiot is far more fascinating than what we all paid to see.

biggest disappointment for me last night was seeing the vitriol and contempt coming from the middle of 112 directed toward 113 after portland tied the game ... U-sec was singing bohemian rhapsody when they scored, a large chunk in the middle of 112 (RPB?) started chanting 'It's all your fault" and pointing at 113. Might have been in jest, but it didn't seem like it. There was some real fury coming from some guys. And some real defensive postures and angry replies coming back from people in 113. Did not like that at all. Don't know if they were RPB or not in the middle of 112, assume some of you were, but whoever you are you looked like ridiculous fools.

It's not bad enough that the team we support stinks, and it's not bad enough that the majority of supporters sections are now sitting down and quietly watching games (or texting/tweeting with heads down for 90 mins), but in the one small area of the stadium where where we still have a tiny pocket of loud and proud supporters, we are now turning on each other along sectarian lines. Fuck. We should be coming together. We are a shadow of what we once were.

U-Sec singing bohemian rhapsody didnt cause the portland goal ... our piss poor defending last night did! Wake the fuck up.

It was a bit wierd, it was in jest. However that bohemian rhapsody song is fun as hell but its ment for when we are getting blown out. Singing it while we are winning makes no sense to a lot of supporters both inside RPB and U-sector.

Can anyone find that email that went out suggesting the rangers come and see that Portland player?

Huyton
08-16-2012, 11:34 AM
It was a bit wierd, it was in jest. However that bohemian rhapsody song is fun as hell but its ment for when we are getting blown out. Singing it while we are winning makes no sense to a lot of supporters both inside RPB and U-sector.

Can anyone find that email that went out suggesting the rangers come and see that Portland player?

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31971-Come-on-out-and-cheer-against-TFC!-YAY!

burlington Red
08-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Not sure if it materialised or not, but Kris Boyd was meant to be going to Williams Landing after game. That was what the Rangers fans were claiming pre game in pub.
For all the hype surrounding him, he had a pretty poor game against a poor defence.

A Stick
08-16-2012, 12:06 PM
If anyone still has any doubts that Mariner is totally fucked and in over his head, last night's line up should be icing on the cake. 1: Playing Harden at right back and keeping Eckersley in middle? 2 Maud (sp?) playing starting as a holding midfield player? 3: Not changing the formation due to lack of first team players? I thought the players dictated the system not some foggy English guy who keeps on playing the same diamond midfield formation after getting rid of two players who can actually play as wingers and then bringing in players who are actually worse than the guys he got rid of. This situation is so sad and it still could get worse (paging Jim Brennan, you're on deck) :facepalm:

sloangraham
08-16-2012, 12:24 PM
See this for more details :

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?32356-Why-It-s-Vital-That-The-Timbers-Army-Sections-Remain-General-Admission

Polk around the hashtag if you want more deets, but it seems like folks in Toronto probably put it up for them.

Doesn't bother me - it's about solidarity of supporters in dealing with off field issues.

Makes sense. Maybe should've been more from that angle, though? Just looked like the TA took over. There was another (indecipherable) green and white banner. Some weird equation-looking thing. Was curious about that one as well.

Canary10
08-16-2012, 12:43 PM
If anyone still has any doubts that Mariner is totally fucked and in over his head, last night's line up should be icing on the cake. 1: Playing Harden at right back and keeping Eckersley in middle? 2 Maud (sp?) playing starting as a holding midfield player? 3: Not changing the formation due to lack of first team players? I thought the players dictated the system not some foggy English guy who keeps on playing the same diamond midfield formation after getting rid of two players who can actually play as wingers and then bringing in players who are actually worse than the guys he got rid of. This situation is so sad and it still could get worse (paging Jim Brennan, you're on deck) :facepalm:

I was saying earlier there is no one to back up the central mid after Frings and Dunfield, and Maund playing there proved it. He clearly didn't know the positioning to play there. Poor Frings was basically alone in the midfield last night.

ryan
08-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Wasn't that most people's issue with Winter?

Being stubborn with tactics and subs?

T-boy
08-16-2012, 01:15 PM
I was saying earlier there is no one to back up the central mid after Frings and Dunfield, and Maund playing there proved it. He clearly didn't know the positioning to play there. Poor Frings was basically alone in the midfield last night.

Maund looked pretty lost in the middle. I hate to say it - but we really missed Dunfield! :o

Gazza
08-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Maund looked pretty lost in the middle. I hate to say it - but we really missed Dunfield! :o

About 20 Trinidadians wished TFC had Terrible Terry in the line-up as well.

ag futbol
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
I think one sequence in the second half last night typified Maund ‘s play for me. Wonder if anyone else remembers it.

Portland on the counter, but TFC have probably 4 or 5 players back. Maund is sitting in front of the back four and is the closest man to the attacking player who is looking to probe the defense. He backs off him, which seemed really odd but I thought “ok he’s probably just positioning himself for the next pass and trying to keep defensive shape rather than being dragged around”. I then see the next Timber’s player join the fold, run by Maund in front of our back four. Quick pass by the timbers to the runner and Maund is left standing in space doing nothing. He jogs back slowly while they are now running at our last line of defenders and the other timber’s player just runs by him as well and goes unmarked. Wanted to puke after seeing that.

If we rate this guy over Stinson (who is injured), we really need our heads examined.

Ultra & Proud
08-16-2012, 01:35 PM

Well couple of things:

- Harden at RB was probably the best option as it's painful to have a slow Cann and a slow and lost Harden both at CB. At least Ecks pace can make up for what's lost with Cann. And if Ecks was at RB he would have pinched in far too often to cover our sketchy CBs like always did when placed out there and there would have been more goals like the tying goal when Morgan pinched in and left the wide man free. That was the best set up for what we had available and it was admittedly crap.

- Maund is shite and now it was proven. No one else available to go there so you just live with his uselessness for one game. I'm sure if Stinson was healthy he would have been there and been much better.

- What formation should we play at home? 4-5-1 would be the only other viable option but our midfield was already bare and I would hate us to play for low scoring draws at home when the playoffs are out of reach (like pulling a Scotland 4-6-0 or something). Might as well just try to win, what the hell. If anyone says a 4-3-3 formation then they are nuts because in no way could that back line hold up against any MLS team, even shitty Portland, with a short and dodgy midfield like we were stuck with last night. 4-4-2 was the only logical choice.

Toronto_Bhoy
08-16-2012, 01:35 PM
I hung my head from 119 across the field when i realized it was a guy in a Rangers shirt getting dragged out (though I'm a bit surprised that it sounds like he might of been fighting Rangers fans rather than the usual getting into it with a Celtic fan for no reason other than in-bred stupidity). As if the club given its atrocious management into almost oblivion in recent years and the morons who still think being sectarian is ok haven't given us a bad enough name, we don't need Rangers fans (or Celtic fans) bringing that stupidity to our games. That's why i've never worn anything Rangers to a TFC game, why would i, that's a team i support but not the team i am at the game to support. Most of the guys in 119 are Celtic fans and know i'm a Rangers fan, but other than good natured ribbing with friends, it never comes up at TFC games.

There was a smattering of Bears throughout 110 last night, my guess would be around 30. There were 8 or so, older, couples with a banner, wearing the same t-shirts (couldn't really see what they said) and giving a big cheer for Steven Smith's name being announced…I assumed they were family. They cheered Boyd's name too…fair enough.

About 10 rows down there was another group with a mix of Rangers jerseys and t-shirts, perhaps 15 or 20 of them. Right from the get-go two or three of them started chirping and let the others around them "they had arrived". I looked down my row and could see the Gers sitting along from me were not comfortable…nor were a number down below.

To be honest I didn't really take much notice but immediately after the second Portland goal it all boiled over. There was an older guy wearing a TFC Edu jersey jumped up and got the attention of a cop at the bottom 110 and pointed out the skinny one, giving the universal "get him out" thumb symbol…the cop was totally disinterested. Another Rangers fan attempted to calm the situation and he got abuse from a couple of the others, a shove and "Fuck off!".

By this point ONE security guy appeared and was standing between the TFC support in 111 chanting "Celtic! Celtic!" and the 4 or 5 clowns that started the old "Come on down" shite. A beer from the Rangers group get tossed up into 111 and well…the rest has already been documented.

On a side note, my wife and I went out for a drink after the game and I saw the "TFC Edu" guy and a couple of Bears. I mentioned I saw his attempt to save his "own". He smiled and said you can't save people like that. You come here to get away from that shit and it follows you wherever you go.

Few guys know me on here but I've been involved with this group from the beginning and a number of us are members of the Old Firm. As Duct Tape says, there is always going to be ribbing and banter but this is an element of our support that we all despise.

T-boy
08-16-2012, 01:54 PM
the one thing that stood out last night, is that Harden and Cann have got to go. I like Cann, and he's been a good servant to the club - but those two players are making over 200k between them - and that's a good chunk of change for another decent CB to go along O'Dea. If we can lose both of those two in the off season, and find one good CB, that will be a good bit of business. Can we just waive those two, is it as simple as that in the winter?

Auzzy
08-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Well couple of things:

- Maund is shite and now it was proven. No one else available to go there so you just live with his uselessness for one game. I'm sure if Stinson was healthy he would have been there and been much better.

Well Mariner has been playing Maund in midfield over Stinson for a bunch of games now, even when Stinson was healthy, usually bring Maund in as a sub. It never worked well, but he keeps doing it. I have no freaking clue why. Yesterday it was even more obvious that it wasn't working. I would rather see Oscar Cordon for a change after Maund has shown he's not doing it in midfield. Cordon was healthy & unused on the bench. Although not normally a DM, I think Cordon would have known more about what to do in midfield than Maund. In a pinch like yesterday, Maund was a half-decent defensive backup on the bench in case one of our defenders had gone down with injury.

Ultra & Proud
08-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Well Mariner has been playing Maund in midfield over Stinson for a bunch of games now, even when Stinson was healthy, usually bring Maund in as a sub. It never worked well, but he keeps doing it. I have no freaking clue why. Yesterday it was even more obvious that it wasn't working. I would rather see Oscar Cordon for a change after Maund has shown he's not doing it in midfield. Cordon was healthy & unused on the bench. Although not normally a DM, I think Cordon would have known more about what to do in midfield than Maund. In a pinch like yesterday, Maund was a half-decent defensive backup on the bench in case one of our defenders had gone down with injury.
True but hopefully Mariner will see that Maund is crap and we won't have to see him again. Ever. I understand why Mariner would stick with him a bit and gave him a shot as he has the size and athleticism to be a good DM. He just has no idea how to play football at all.

Fort York Redcoat
08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
True but hopefully Mariner will see that Maund is crap and we won't have to see him again. Ever. I understand why Mariner would stick with him a bit and gave him a shot as he has the size and athleticism to be a good DM. He just has no idea how to play football at all.

That and after only 6 games Mariner wants to make sure the last vestiges of DeRo don't turn into something.

v00d00daddy
08-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Interesting in Mariners post game presser that he's reasonably happy with what's going on.

He explained giving away the game by saying that it's because we had a bunch of guys out, and Hassli hasn't played much, and Avila hasn't played much (hahaha).

He also flat out blamed the players and their lack of attention to detail and execution for the conceded goals. (novel idea....one that I heard a previous coach mention LOL)

When asked what's changed between the start of his tenure and now he fails to mention the fact that he doesn't have a striker scoring every single game (Koevermans).

Sounds like a whole bunch of great excuses and lots of delusions.

Add to all this that Portland are fucking atrocious.

I'm glad he continues to be reasonably pleased.

He's lost.

iy12l
08-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Paul Mariner is destroying the team Winter built... hes getting rid of our most technical/skilled players and signing mls rejects, hes rotting the youth on the bench and sometimes they dont even make it to the bench, and hes . Hes probably going to get rid of Avila and sign some random guy from Bermuda and call him the next "Messi". He has to get fired by the end of the season or we will only see like 5000 people at BMO next season watching this 1960s English shitshow.

TFC1154ever
08-17-2012, 06:29 AM
I don't know who had that south park sign that said "shiver me timbers", but that had the upper 115 laughing. Good creativity.

Derko
08-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Paul Mariner is destroying the team Winter built... hes getting rid of our most technical/skilled players and signing mls rejects, hes rotting the youth on the bench and sometimes they dont even make it to the bench, and hes . Hes probably going to get rid of Avila and sign some random guy from Bermuda and call him the next "Messi". He has to get fired by the end of the season or we will only see like 5000 people at BMO next season watching this 1960s English shitshow.

I agree but, How bout just saying Shitshow:canada:

JuliquE
08-17-2012, 08:38 AM
hahhaha..

.. *cries into his beer*

London
08-17-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't know who had that south park sign that said "shiver me timbers", but that had the upper 115 laughing. Good creativity.

your welcome, security wasnt going to let it in

http://i49.tinypic.com/24v5k08.jpg