View Full Version : Toronto FC Sign CB Darren O'Dea

jabbronies
08-03-2012, 10:13 AM
It's official:
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/08/tfc-sign-defender-darren-o%E2%80%99dea

ArmenJBX
08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
He is rated 99 overall in FIFA 12.
Also I might have tweaked his ratings a bit.
Also I definitely just sold him to Real Madrid for $200,000,000.

In the real world, however, a decent signing for our outfit. Good stuff. Hope he excels.

TFC Bhoy
08-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Great signing!!! I have always been a big fan of O'Dea and never understood why Celtic let him go and then play with guys like Mastorovic and that. He played some pretty big games for Celtic in the Champions League and even captained us on occasion (usually when captain was injured, but still did). Love this signing!

DangerRed
08-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Good step in the right direction. That it has taken this long to make a concrete move to fix the backline is fucking astounding, but I'll put down my shit-coloured glasses today and say this should help the team. Is this a DP sigining, though? Hate to use that slot on a defensive player.

Northern Soul
08-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Lots of experience, still young...good signing. Well done (finally)!

Joe Kool
08-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Question is will he be eligible for CCL now that it has started and he wasn't on the initial roster? We need all the defensive help we can get for the next 3 CCL games.

Oldtimer
08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Question is will he be eligible for CCL now that it has started and he wasn't on the initial roster? We need all the defensive help we can get for the next 3 CCL games.

Yes, provided TFC left at least 1 space open. You cannot drop a player from a space, even if that player is no longer with the club. Given that they were planning to sign a CB, they should have kept a space open, it would take a mess up of Earl Cochrane proportions to ruin this... oh wait....

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2012, 10:35 AM
The most encouraging aspect of this signing is that if O'Dea flourishes with TFC, he is young enough to grow with the club for many years to come.

Gazza
Welcome to the show, O'Dea!

"Why don't we get things started...I hope we get things started!"

jabbronies
Great signing!!! I have always been a big fan of O'Dea and never understood why Celtic let him go and then play with guys like Mastorovic and that. He played some pretty big games for Celtic in the Champions League and even captained us on occasion (usually when captain was injured, but still did). Love this signing!

Good to know he has leadership abilities, he is young, hopefully our other backs react to him well. It'll be great to watch him boss Eckersley around a bit, will make for some entertaining side shows.

Suds
Can't say I expected this despite the rumour.

Im happy it's not another guy in the twilight of his career.

sulfur
08-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Not a DP signing.

Based on his play last year with Leeds United? I'm not convinced that he's the "bossman" we're looking for at CB. Will he fit into the system currently being played? He should. But he's not "all that" (from what I've seen of him more recently than his Celtic days).

Aside: His name just calls for a chant based on Domino Dancing...

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2012, 10:39 AM
O'Dea is not the equivalent of Mellberg, but he is certainly no slouch, and he should represent a significant upgrade on our existing backline...

O’Dea was recently given the 2012 Ireland Young International Player of the Year award during the FAI International Football Awards in February.

SKB
08-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Excellent signing good work TFC! In my mind I like this aquisition much better then a 34+ DP. This gives us good talent in the back line that we can hold together for a number of years and all back 4 will hit their prime at the same time. As well as someone else noted it keeps potentially a DP postion open to get a true attacking midfileder to crank up our offense another notch.

Abou Sky
08-03-2012, 10:46 AM
He is rated 99 overall in FIFA 12.
Also I might have tweaked his ratings a bit.
Also I definitely just sold him to Real Madrid for $200,000,000.

In the real world, however, a decent signing for our outfit. Good stuff. Hope he excels.

How is he rated 99 overall? That is like 100 in almost everything.

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2012, 10:48 AM
How is he rated 99 overall? That is like 100 in almost everything.

LOL, Armen 'tweaked' his ratings a bit. In FIFA 12, you can edit existing players.

tfcleeds
08-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Nice to see an Irish international and former Leeds player with TFC! Although I do have to agree with the assessment that he isn't all that - however, he doesn't have to be, he's still an improvement on what we've got.

KRO
08-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Great signing. I hope he can stay out of trouble with MLS refs. It looks as if Leeds let him go because of his disciplinary record. Then again we seem to love that type of player don't we?
He's probably not match fit so it would not surprise me if he doesn't start for a couple of weeks.

Wull
08-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Not impressed at all by this

Brooker
08-03-2012, 11:16 AM

I'm not familiar with him. Why are you so down on him?

Yagbod
08-03-2012, 11:16 AM
I read his nickname was "O'dear" for the national team. Still looks good on paper, fingers crossed.

Phil
08-03-2012, 11:23 AM

I think we have 4 spots open on our CCL roster.

Wull
08-03-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm not familiar with him. Why are you so down on him?

Can't get a game for celtic, didn't look all that good for any teams he was loaned to and we were told he'd be almost an equivalent of Mellberg. He isn't

Phil
08-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Lets remember that Ecks wasn't getting any starting time at his club and came here and performed very well. I hope the same happens here but we will have to wait and see. I think it could be a good signing, I am curious about the contract.

Super
08-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Initially not happy with the signing only because I expected more when Mariner said the guy would be equal to Mellberg. However, having said that, he most certainly would be able to come right into the squad and help make us better. At the end of the day that's what matters.

Greatest Ripoff
08-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Lets remember that Ecks wasn't getting any starting time at his club and came here and performed very well. I hope the same happens here but we will have to wait and see. I think it could be a good signing, I am curious about the contract.

O'Dea did play a lot for Leeds last year. The problem is that he didn't play that great. MLS is definitely a step down so I hope this level is much more suitable and he will be able to excel.

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2012, 11:40 AM
At the end of the day that's what matters.

Depending on the contract. If it's a decent contract, I 100% agree.

- Scott

golaso.gol
08-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Yes its not a good signing, yes its no where near Melberg type level. Is he better than what we currently have? I certainly hope so. But this signing is what it is given the capabilities of our "scouting" team.

Wooster_TFC
08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Can't get a game for celtic, didn't look all that good for any teams he was loaned to and we were told he'd be almost an equivalent of Mellberg. He isn't

Initially not happy with the signing only because I expected more when Mariner said the guy would be equal to Mellberg. However, having said that, he most certainly would be able to come right into the squad and help make us better. At the end of the day that's what matters.

One, it wasn't Mariner who said it, it was Cochrane.

Two, the direct comparison to Mellberg was in parentheses, which means added by the writer.

Three, the quote was actually that they "liked" him equally. Doesn't mean they think he's as good as Mellberg, or "the same".

There are positives to both potential signings. Personally I'll take a 25 year old CB that can grow with the team over a 34 year old rental right now.

burlington Red
08-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Yes its not a good signing, yes its no where near Melberg type level. Is he better than what we currently have? I certainly hope so. But this signing is what it is given the capabilities of our "scouting" team.

I think at 25 it will in the long run work out to be a much better buy than Mellberg. Mellberg is a very good player, but getting on in age at 35 and he didn't set the world alight himself last season, albeit after a couple of decent seasons prior to that.

I can see both sides of the coin here, to go from being connected to both seasoned veterans in recent weeks such as Nesta and Mellberg but to eventually sign O'Dea, might seem a downgrade, but if we want to build a steady defence for the next few years then younger players are what we ultimately need. The likes of Morgan, Ecks, O'Dea- no reason these guys can't play for the next 6 years. Be interesting to see who will partner O'dea at centre back once everyone is fit.
O'dea is much like Ecks in that they be youngish in age but bring invaluable experience.
I'm pretty happy with this signing

Super
08-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Mellberg, to me, is the defensive version of Frings. Very similar resume as well.

Yagbod
08-03-2012, 12:13 PM

Two, the direct comparison to Mellberg was in parentheses, which means added by the writer.

Three, the quote was actually that they "liked" him equally. Doesn't mean they think he's as good as Mellberg, or "the same".

There are positives to both potential signings. Personally I'll take a 25 year old CB that can grow with the team over a 34 year old rental right now.

+1 My thoughts exactly.

Wull
08-03-2012, 12:18 PM

I've seen him Phil, he's not the guy to control a back 4 we've been craving. On it's own this might be an upgrade to our 2nd centre back in terms of age etc. with Cann but with everything else tied in, all he's going to do is stifle Doneil's growth

Super
08-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Okay, so Cochrane said it. I stand corrected. Still, though, "liked the guy equally" is a really dumb statement to make. I most certainly do not like this signing as much as I would Mellberg. Not even close. And I don't understand how anyone could. But I guess Cochrane likes Frings and Dunfield equally as well - since his idea of "liking" someone has nothing to do with skill.

Phil
08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Okay, so Cochrane said it. I stand corrected. Still, though, "liked the guy equally" is a really dumb statement to make. I most certainly do not like this signing as much as I would Mellberg. Not even close. And I don't understand how anyone could. But I guess Cochrane likes Frings and Dunfield equally as well - since his idea of "liking" someone has nothing to do with skill.

You might like him better when comparing cap hits, don't know though. Lets not forget about the limited DP space and salary issues. It adds a different value to players when looking at all aspects.

Gazza
08-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I've seen him Phil, he's not the guy to control a back 4 we've been craving. On it's own this might be an upgrade to our 2nd centre back in terms of age etc. with Cann but with everything else tied in, all he's going to do is stifle Doneil's growth

This was always my concern with whomever they brought in. It's bad enough we have Doneil playing out of position. For club and Country's sake i would have loved to have seen Doniel and Melberg pairing. How's that for learning on the job? But i'll take a Darren and Doneil pairing at the end of the Dea. However, Emory seems to be the one who will be favoured. yuck.

Greatest Ripoff
08-03-2012, 12:43 PM
So TFC is still lacking a 'bossman' at the back. O'Dea doesn't have the experience to be that person.

Wooster_TFC
08-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Age is another aspect. Whether you're starting for your nat team and might not be willing to get out of a callup is another. Lots of sides to look at.

You might like him better when comparing cap hits, don't know though. Lets not forget about the limited DP space and salary issues. It adds a different value to players when looking at all aspects.

TFC!BR
08-03-2012, 12:53 PM
This is a great signing...He is still young and ver aggressive player. I’m a little surprised that he would be coming over so early in his career. Let’s go TFC!!!

Super
08-03-2012, 12:55 PM

Yes, it's correct that there is obviously a huge difference in compensation. But the problem is that we don't know if Darren O'Dea is good enough to fix our defense. Remember, he's known as O'Dear for a reason. I haven't heard anyone rave about his qualities anywhere. He's had big games, yes, but not with overwhelming success - or he'd surely still be at Celtic, Leeds, Reading, whatever. Also, O'Dea is not a veteran (25 years old), so not sure how he can really add much value to the youngsters around him. To me O'Dea is us hoping to patch the problem (as usual). He will likely be an improvement, but probably not a major one. Mellberg would be a fix. See him at the Euro's? He'd likely be the best CB in the MLS right off the bat. Never stopped running, never stopped fighting. The guy is a beast.

Having said that, I'm happy that we're signing a new CB - and I do think that he'll do alright. But he's no Mellberg. Never will be. Not even close. So let's just call a spade a spade and not trick ourselves into believing that they're equal in any shape or form. Just like Weedman is not one of the best finishers in the MLS.

Suds
08-03-2012, 12:58 PM

I like the fact he's only 25 as well. Sure, he's not Mellberg. But at some point TFC needs to find some decent players who can give us a few years in order build some kind of nucleus of a team. As much as I would love to see Mellberg in a TFC shirt, we cannot rely on parachuting in +30 year old players for a year or two all the time to fill out the roster.

He doesn't take up a DP spot either. Based on that I think this is a good signing on paper. Now we have to wait and see how he performs and adapts to the MLS.

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
I haven't heard anyone rave about his qualities anywhere.

I have read plenty of positive endorsements of him online. Again, not to suggest that he's Mellberg, but that he's a fierce competitor, defensively sound, and that he will leave everything on the pitch for his club.

Super
08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
I have read plenty of positive endorsements of him online. Again, not to suggest that he's Mellberg, but that he's a fierce competitor, defensively sound, and that he will leave everything on the pitch for his club.

Makes you wonder why no one wanted him in Prem, SPL, Championship.

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Makes you wonder why no one wanted him in Prem, SPL, Championship.

The Premier League is on another level entirely, so the comparison is absurd.

As for the SPL and Championship, do you know for certain that nobody wanted him? Do you have insider knowledge?

Or is it a matter of TFC aggressively pursuing him, making him a worthwhile offer, and O'Dea taking a liking to our city?

Beach_Red
08-03-2012, 01:20 PM

As for the SPL and Championship, do you know for certain that nobody wanted him? Do you have insider knowledge?

Or is it a matter of TFC aggressively pursuing him, making him a worthwhile offer, and O'Dea taking a liking to our city?

And no matter what we think of MLSE we have to admit, their cheques don't bounce and there's no danger of them going bankrupt anytime soon.

Super
08-03-2012, 01:27 PM

We don't know. A lot of unknown here, really, and it makes me a little nervous. All we can do is hope for the best. Unfortunately my faith in TFC FO is not the best. Hopefully he's here for all the right reasons, and we will see an improvement to our defense. I've groaned enough on here about this signing, and only because I honestly believed that a big name (equal to Nesta, Mellberg) was on the way. But I'll give him full vocal support once he's on the pitch in TFC jersey. My beef is with TFC FO and how they handled the whole Mellberg fiasco. "Sorry, can't give you Mellberg, but we'll give you someone we like equally: Darren O'Dea". That's my beef.

Gazza
08-03-2012, 01:29 PM
And no matter what we think of MLSE we have to admit, their cheques don't bounce and there's no danger of them going bankrupt anytime soon.

Haha. Never thought of it that way. I guess after playing in the SPL and for Leeds, you're happy knowing that you'll receive the contract money you signed for. Unless you shake hands like DeRo and Mo.

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2012, 01:31 PM

LOL, good point.

Oldtimer
08-03-2012, 01:31 PM
But can he play 4-3-3 possession when the "temporary tweak" is over, and we have a team full of academy grads who can play the possession game?

Huyton
08-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Nice to see an Irish international and former Leeds player with TFC! Although I do have to agree with the assessment that he isn't all that - however, he doesn't have to be, he's still an improvement on what we've got.

Is this the first former Leeds player in Toronto since Peter Lorimer? That man had a cannon for a foot.

Suds
08-03-2012, 01:34 PM
We don't know. A lot of unknown here, really, and it makes me a little nervous. All we can do is hope for the best. Unfortunately my faith in TFC FO is not the best. Hopefully he's here for all the right reasons, and we will see an improvement to our defense. I've groaned enough on here about this signing, and only because I honestly believed that a big name (equal to Nesta, Mellberg) was on the way. But I'll give him full vocal support once he's on the pitch in TFC jersey. My beef is with TFC FO and how they handled the whole Mellberg fiasco. "Sorry, can't give you Mellberg, but we'll give you someone we like equally: Darren O'Dea". That's my beef.

Can't really argue the fact TFC's FO has a poor track record. But let's cut the player some slack and not misplace put lack of faith in the FO on the player. (not saying you're not willing to give the player a chance)

Lot's of reasons a player might want to come to the MLS. Sometimes they feel they need a new start.

Super
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Can't really argue the fact TFC's FO has a poor track record. But let's cut the player some slack and not misplace put lack of faith in the FO on the player. (not saying you're not willing to give the player a chance)

Lot's of reasons a player might want to come to the MLS. Sometimes they feel they need a new start.

100% agreed!!! He deserves all of our support once he puts on that jersey.

Suds
08-03-2012, 01:37 PM
100% agreed!!! He deserves all of our support once he puts on that jersey.

I think I might drink lot's of Guinness this weekend as way of welcoming him to Toronto. :drinking:

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2012, 01:38 PM

I understand your frustration with the FO, but perhaps they like him equally for different reasons. He is young, he still might have upside, and he doesn't take up a DP slot.

You also have to recognize that the FO has to make public statements of that nature, if for no other reason than to instill confidence in the player that has been acquired. O'Dea must know about the Mellberg controversy.

How would he feel if the press release stated, "MLS didn't approve the deal for Mellberg, so we had to settle for O'Dea"?

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2012, 01:40 PM
But can he play 4-3-3 possession when the "temporary tweak" is over, and we have a team full of academy grads who can play the possession game?

I don't know, but anyone who supports the signing of O'Dea must be from the UK, right OT?

ForeverTFC
08-03-2012, 01:44 PM
I still don't understand the love for Mellberg at the price we would have to commit to. I may even go as far to say I prefer a non-DP O'dea to him.

A non-DP Nesta is still in my mind an opportunity missed.

v00d00daddy
08-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I know nothing about this player but I hope he's better than what we've got. I'm going to assume that he is.

The thing that many people are happy about is the thing that worries me most. His age.

Yes, it's positive to bring in young players who may want to stay with the club for several years BUT....young players often need guidance and are rarely leaders on the pitch. Add to this that he's a CB and supposedly going to be our general on the back line and I get worried.

Players like Eckersley, Henry, Morgan, Cann and even Emory would benefit most from a player who has experience and knows his role as the CB leader inside and out. I just don't see a 25 year old knowing this.

He sounds like he's got the pedigree of an Eckersley and, while he tries hard, that type of guy is the last person that should be taking anyone under their wing.

I'd have much preferred Mellberg or, heaven forbid, Nesta.

I know that a lot of people here don't like that idea because they think they're too old but there is no way they wouldn't have had a positive effect on our entire defense core. A guy like Nesta would have inspired and shown dozens of young TFC players what it takes to be a great defender.

While O'Dea will likely make our back line better, it will only be based on his individual contributions. I doubt his play or expertise will make the young guys around him better.

Who the fuck knows any more with this team. LOL

ForeverTFC
08-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Not if Paul has anything to do with it. Thump thump thuuummpp.

lobo
08-03-2012, 01:50 PM

He'll be retired by then. We all will be.

Super
08-03-2012, 01:51 PM
I understand your frustration with the FO, but perhaps they like him equally for different reasons. He is young, he still might have upside, and he doesn't take up a DP slot.

You also have to recognize that the FO has to make public statements of that nature, if for no other reason than to instill confidence in the player that has been acquired. O'Dea must know about the Mellberg controversy.

How would he feel if the press release stated, "MLS didn't approve the deal for Mellberg, so we had to settle for O'Dea"?

His age is definitely an upside, but is he the guy that we need right now? That's the issue. We have a very young defense, and no doubt routine and experience is needed, so this is where his age may not be an upside. Mellberg would have 2 years to give us - but that's more than enough to help shape our young defenders, and pull them through some tough games. That's the sort of guy we need - or at least that's what I think.

I recognize that FO has to make statements that are positive in nature, but you have to admit that a lot of people read into it as though we were getting someone equal in skill as Mellberg. How else can you read into it? He's equal when you factor in his younger age? Doesn't make much sense when you look at what our young defense needs. Also, when you go after Nesta (although not officially) and Mellberg, and come up with O'Dea, and then say that you like the deal equally to Mellberg, you big up O'Dea to the point where the expectations will be sky high right off the bat. REALLY high. How will that fly if he disappoints? I think it would be better to simply say that Mellberg didn't work out, have enough respect for the starved supporters to tell us the truth, and then move ahead and say that we're still looking to strengthen the defense ... and then a few days later simply say: "we signed O'Dea. He's a different type of player, but we're confident that he'll be able to help our defense right away." None of this "big announcement coming. the fans will be very happy". Now O'Dea has a lot to live up to - and it's really not fair to him. All the more reason to move forward and give the guy all of our support. He definitely deserves that.

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2012, 02:01 PM
His age is definitely an upside, but is he the guy that we need right now? That's the issue. We have a very young defense, and no doubt routine and experience is needed, so this is where his age may not be an upside. Mellberg would have 2 years to give us - but that's more than enough to help shape our young defenders, and pull them through some tough games. That's the sort of guy we need - or at least that's what I think.

I recognize that FO has to make statements that are positive in nature, but you have to admit that a lot of people read into it as though we were getting someone equal in skill as Mellberg. How else can you read into it? He's equal when you factor in his younger age? Doesn't make much sense when you look at what our young defense needs. Also, when you go after Nesta (although not officially) and Mellberg, and come up with O'Dea, and then say that you like the deal equally to Mellberg, you big up O'Dea to the point where the expectations will be sky high right off the bat. REALLY high. How will that fly if he disappoints? I think it would be better to simply say that Mellberg didn't work out, have enough respect for the starved supporters to tell us the truth, and then move ahead and say that we're still looking to strengthen the defense ... and then a few days later simply say: "we signed O'Dea. He's a different type of player, but we're confident that he'll be able to help our defense right away." None of this "big announcement coming. the fans will be very happy". Now O'Dea has a lot to live up to - and it's really not fair to him. All the more reason to move forward and give the guy all of our support. He definitely deserves that.

I understand your sentiments. Hopefully, O'Dea won't disappoint.

Huyton
08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
There's one area where O'Dea is much better than Melberg: MLS let us sign him!

Seriously, though, and while I must admit to being an eternal optimist, I can see a lot of good things from this signing.

1) He's 25. Our back line is going to grow up together.
2) He's a regular international for his country.
3) He's captained Celtic.
4) He'll have little difficulty with the physical aspects of the game in MLS.
5) He speaks a version of English.
6) And his girlfiend just might convince me to move my seasons tickets to where the WAGs sit:
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00572/SNA0546-580_572897a.jpg

scooter
08-03-2012, 02:18 PM
if o'day was even on the practice pitch at celtic then he is good enough for mls

this is a HUGE signing for the club -- this guy will play for the shirt and thats what we need right now

Detroit_TFC
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM

Zing! Repped.

Derko
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM

Agreed just look at Ecks, yes sometimes looks a little reckless and panicked, but more often than not very solid and very agressive, and has good football sense, IMO

jloome
08-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Having a rep in England as a marked man with the refs can kill a player's value, particularly a defender.

T-boy
08-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Having immigrated from England to Canada myself, I can see why SOME European players would really want to come out here. It's not always down to football with some European players, I think. Coming over to North America has a lot of upsides to it.

It seems like O'Dea has been delt with the same BS football politics in the UK - a lot of teams want to loan him, but none have the money to buy. He's been passed around. Celtic say they want him and want to give him another contract, but he probably won't be 1st choice CB there. It gets a point where a player thinks "screw all this", and an opportunity comes to live in North America - and I'm sure that's why he's jumped at the chance. Similarly to Eckerlsey. Both players could fall down a division in England and play first team football, but they have a chance out here, and they take it. It's a great lifestyle in Toronto for Europeans to live in! I can vouch for that myself!

Oldtimer
08-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't know, but anyone who supports the signing of O'Dea must be from the UK, right OT?

I don't know about that.... despite the many criticisms Mo got for all of those UK players he brought in, I've always felt that the nationality of the player doesn't necessarily show their skill-set. As a United fan, you'd know that, Sir Alex gets highly skilled players who can play a variety of styles, from more possession-oriented (when they play continental football) to more direct (for things like the FA Cup), to the sort of hybrid style that they play in the EPL.

Not all UK players are limited to a direct style, just like the better UK managers aren't.

jabbronies
08-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Fact is we tried to get a bossman in the back and someone fucked it up, apparently O'Dea was the next best thing we could get. Let's hope he can at least stop the bleeding in the back line.

Perhaps we don't excel in the back with this move and our guys don't have anyone to mentor from, but maybe they can band together and learn from each other's mistakes quickly and grow together as a single unit. Egos need to go out the door and everyone back there needs to speak more. If this O'Dea guy has Ecks mouth, there will be plenty of noise back there to get people moving into the right spots.

__wowza
08-03-2012, 03:39 PM
5) He speaks a version of English.

O'Dea go breá!

v00d00daddy
08-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Fact is we tried to get a bossman in the back and someone fucked it up, apparently O'Dea was the next best thing we could get. Let's hope he can at least stop the bleeding in the back line.

Agreed on the sentiment. I just don't like Mariner and Cochrane trying to sell us on the idea that O'Dea IS the bossman.

Perhaps we don't excel in the back with this move and our guys don't have anyone to mentor from, but maybe they can band together and learn from each other's mistakes quickly and grow together as a single unit. Egos need to go out the door and everyone back there needs to speak more. If this O'Dea guy has Ecks mouth, there will be plenty of noise back there to get people moving into the right spots.

If this guy has Ecks mouth and Eck's brain for the game they'll be competing to yell the wrong things the loudest. LOL

BayernTFC
08-03-2012, 04:43 PM

Leeds no longer wanted O'Dea and he hadn't been a part of Celtic's plans for years. Celtic wasn't going to keep him any longer:

Leeds boss Neil Warnock has told Darren O'Dea he will not be joining the club on a permanent basis.

The on-loan defender has made 42 appearances for the Elland Road outfit this season but, after he picked up two suspensions in less than a month, Warnock has decided he will not be making a permanent swoop for the Celtic man.

O'Dea had expressed a desire to join Leeds permanently, but Warnock has informed him he does not figure in his future plans.

"I have decided we won't be signing him for next season," Warnock told the club's official website.

"I've had a chat with him, and I'm going to get let him have a break before he goes and plays in the European Championships in the summer.

"We thank him for what he's done but I do feel it's time to move on in that area. He's had good games and average ones, but one or two people have come into my reckoning now that I'm looking for and hopefully we can tie those players up now over the next few months."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7687059/

"Nothing is happening because I've to wait for (Celtic chief executive) Peter Lawwell to make up his mind," said O'Dea. "He's told me I will get a letter in the post.

"If he thinks he will let me go, then that is better for me. Ideally in my world it makes sense just to let me go and I will look after myself."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7775825/

O’Dea acknowledged last week that the Scots would be entitled to seek to recoup some of the money they had spent on developing him as a player but he expressed the hope they might still allow him to simply walk away, something that would improve both his choices and, most likely, improve the personal terms he would be able to negotiate. Yesterday he confirmed he had received the news he had been hoping for.

“Yeah, I won’t be at Celtic,” he said. “I’m leaving Celtic on a free transfer. I’m very happy. I spoke to Peter Lawwell and fair play to him, I’ve been leaving long enough and it was about time it was official.

“It was playing on my mind but fair play to Peter for cutting ties. It lets me get on with my career. It’s been happening for the last two and a half years anyway.”

The 25-year-old signed for Celtic from Home Farm seven years ago and initially made swift progress, breaking into the first team in late 2006 and then impressing in both the league and Champions League over the course of the next season and a half.

Somehow, though, he never progressed to the stage where he was an automatic first choice and despite captaining the team at times, he was loaned out in recent years for spells to Reading, Ipswich Town and most recently Leeds United.

After Neil Warnock made it clear that he wasn’t in his plans for the Elland Road outfit O’Dea faced the prospect of having to head back to Glasgow for pre-season while attempting to secure an alternative employer. Instead, he leaves, he says, on the best of terms.

“I’ve had a great time at Celtic and have a lot of friends there so it was important for me that I left properly. He’s done that and given me the chance to do that so I’ve nothing but admiration for the club and I wish them all the best.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0601/1224317057539.html

There was speculation that Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday and Burnley were interested in O'Dea, but sometimes rumours are just rumours:

Jones(Sheffield Wednesday FC Manager Dave Jones) has denied claims that he is interested in Republic of Ireland defender Darren O’Dea, who is out of contract at Celtic.
http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/sheffield-sport/sheffield-wednesday-warm-up-s-new-look-1-4620472

Olof Mellberg will not be a part of TFC, so I hope Darren O'Dea works out. My expectations are tempered.

BayernTFC
08-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Agreed on the sentiment. I just don't like Mariner and Cochrane trying to sell us on the idea that O'Dea IS the bossman.
I'm with you and jabbronies, v00d00daddy. I have heard all the TFC hype before. It's childish. At some point, you just stop listening. The hardest part is to watch the players get dumped on by everyone who buys the nonsense. Hopefully O'Dea will be given some time to prove he can be a good player for TFC. Once again, TFC management is gambling that some player will grow into a role. Maybe it works. If he starts out like Aceval did, how long will the patience last? Who wants to allot time and money for next year based on Mariner and Cochrane's opinions?

AL-MO
08-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Cautiously optimistic about this player, like every other TFC signing. We'll see how it plays out.

ensco
08-03-2012, 07:16 PM
We're in the right place with this guy. Let's see what he has got. And what he is being paid. Then we'll know what to think.

The yardstick is Victor Bernandez of SJ, Honduras' starting CB. A nice solid player. He is on 100K.

jloome
08-03-2012, 09:02 PM
We're in the right place with this guy. Let's see what he has got. And what he is being paid. Then we'll know what to think.

The yardstick is Victor Bernandez of SJ, Honduras' starting CB. A nice solid player. He is on 100K.

I wouldn't say he's the yardstick; more the ideal. San Jose got a steal there. I'd be shocked if O'Dea is on less than $160,000

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-03-2012, 09:14 PM
I think this is a huge signing for TFC. O'Dea, despite being in a bit of valley in terms of his career, is still good enough to land a position in the Championship. He's almost a little too good to be making a move to the MLS at his age.

ensco
08-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't say he's the yardstick; more the ideal. San Jose got a steal there. I'd be shocked if O'Dea is on less than $160,000

That's probably right. I just think we need to be more aware of the value proposition of these guys from England. Eckersley on $390K is ... well I'll leave it there before I start a firefight.

Yohan
08-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I think this is a huge signing for TFC. O'Dea, despite being in a bit of valley in terms of his career, is still good enough to land a position in the Championship. He's almost a little too good to be making a move to the MLS at his age.

Potential to be a good signing. Current Irish international at 25 yrs of age with his kind of resume rarely come to MLS. I'm almost thinking, what's the catch. Like O'Dea turns out to be a tranny or something.

andyc
08-03-2012, 10:49 PM
He was no superstar for Leeds last year - he played a lot of games but was released very quickly towards the end of the season mainly due to his disciplinary issues. Hopefully he turns out like an Eckersley but better...

I would be surprised if he is on less than $300k. Anyone who thinks that he is coming over for $100k is dreaming.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-03-2012, 10:51 PM
^ There's been a number of signings that have been head scratchers lately, Kenny Miller and Tim Cahil for example. I know O'Dea's not quite at their level, but I think it speaks to they rise in prominence of the league as a whole. Maybe in five years, if the cap goes up, the MLS will be going head-to-head with the Championship for players.

narduch
08-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I would be surprised if he is on less than $300k..

If that is how much he is making, we are essentially back in the Mo Johnston era.

Oblio2
08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Odea
Odea
watch them all fall down....
Odea
Odea..
Domino Dancing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik2YF05iX2w

Yohan
08-03-2012, 11:21 PM
^ There's been a number of signings that have been head scratchers lately, Kenny Miller and Tim Cahil for example. I know O'Dea's not quite at their level, but I think it speaks to they rise in prominence of the league as a whole. Maybe in five years, if the cap goes up, the MLS will be going head-to-head with the Championship for players.

O'Dea is essentially kissing his Irish international career good bye too

Smokecell
08-03-2012, 11:47 PM

...because Robbie Keane's move to MLS clearly killed his...

if Trapattoni didn't value MLS we'd know by now. This move doesn't remotely kill his Irish career.

andyc
08-03-2012, 11:49 PM
If that is how much he is making, we are essentially back in the Mo Johnston era.

Look at how much Eckersley is on...

Yohan
08-03-2012, 11:59 PM
...because Robbie Keane's move to MLS clearly killed his...

if Trapattoni didn't value MLS we'd know by now. This move doesn't remotely kill his Irish career.
I think there is a big difference between Robbie Keane, leading goal scorer for the Irish and O'Dea, a fringe player

jloome
08-04-2012, 01:07 AM

So you think his career has OD'd?

g:D

Derko
08-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Hey here's a thought. Why don't we let the lad play before we pass judgment on the signing, unfortunately we ALL tend to let our bias and our own prejudices get the better of ourselves and lead us to jugde a player before a minute has been played by the lad.

Irish International
Played for Celtic must mean something.

Let the kid play and see what happens.

Farewell for now

ensco
08-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Hopefully he turns out like an Eckersley but better...

I would be surprised if he is on less than $300k. Anyone who thinks that he is coming over for $100k is dreaming.

At $300K or more O'Dea had better be an MLS allstar next year. Eckersley is a bust at his salary level. If teams are signing good international CBs at 100-175K, we can't win if we're paying $300K or more for the same type of player.

KGH
08-04-2012, 06:57 AM
O'dea is committed to playing a friendly on the 15th in Serbia - home game against Portland. I wonder when we're actually going to see him play?

The international schedule also includes:

September 7 in kazakhstan - home game against Chicago on the 12th
October 12 - In between a game on the 6th And 20th
October 16 - home game vs Montreal on the 20th

Yohan
08-04-2012, 07:18 AM
So you think his career has OD'd?

g:D
can i rep and neg rep at same time? lol

Chevy
08-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Potential to be a good signing. Current Irish international at 25 yrs of age with his kind of resume rarely come to MLS. I'm almost thinking, what's the catch. Like O'Dea turns out to be a tranny or something.

Hell, if he can prevent the 90th minute shooting galleries we provide to the opposition on a regular basis, who gives a shit what's between his legs?

BHTC Mike
08-04-2012, 02:21 PM

At $300K or more O'Dea had better be an MLS allstar next year. Eckersley is a bust at his salary level. If teams are signing good international CBs at 100-175K, we can't win if we're paying $300K or more for the same type of player.
Before this discussion goes any further and $100K for Bernardez becomes considered anything but the outlier it is let's create an index.

Thanks to the MLS PA we've got access to something like numbers. What should a regular starter CB, who's not a kid, and has established credentials in the league or overseas, cost you in MLS?

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/August 1, 2012 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

(All number based on Guaranteed Compensation which includes annualized guaranteed bonuses. Remember this is not NECESSARILY the player's budget expense this season but serves a useful proxy to compare the amount of resources devoted to them.)

MON Nelson Rivas $50,000
SJE Victor Bernardez $100,000
NER AJ Soares $116,450
HOU Andre Hainault $163,125
VAN Alain Rochat $170,000
SJE Jason Hernandez $175,000
SEA Jeff Parke $185,325
MON Mateo Ferrari $185,475
FCD Ugo Ihemelu $190,000
HOU Bobby Boswell $200,000
RSL Nat Borchers $211,973
SKC Aurelien Collin $216,250
MON Alessandro Nesta $225,000
DCU Dejan Jakovic $228,043
CHI Arne Friedrich $230,833
COL Drew Moor $247,189
RSL Jamison Olave $250,000
SKC Julio Cesar $255,750
LAG Omar Gonzalez $257,000
DCU Brandon McDonald $258,250
PHI Carlos Valdes $268,000
CHV Danny Califf $275,000
PHI Bakary Soumare $280,000
COL Marvell Wynne $326,667
CMB Chad Marshall $341,250
VAN Jay DeMerit $350,000

Looking at that list, it's clear that while you can find good quality starting CBs for under $200K, obviously it's an advantage if you can, you shouldn't necessarily expect to or consider yourself hamstrung if you don't. The really established guys tend to cluster around the $200K-$250K range. Who knows who's fibbing about those Montreal numbers or what sort of timebombs are waiting to go off over the coming years there.

When you consider, outside of Eckersley, how little we really spend on the rest of our regular back line I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that we SHOULD be willing to invest in a player around the $250K range. Considering O'Dea's age and international pedigree I don't think something in the standard range, that would let him graduate into the higher part of the list over time if he works out and sticks around, is unreasonable. Anything below $200K would be great business; starting him above $250K probably wouldn't be. Again: he's supposed to be an every game starter that we can rely on. You've got to be willing to pay for that unless you find a crazy bargain. We'll see when the numbers come out again.

Edit: And I wasn't trying to cherry pick data but create an idea of "regular" compensation for an established starting CB. That meant leaving off someone like George John who's clearly just seeing out his deal before moving on or Patrick Ianni who's only broken through as a starter recently and is still being paid like a sub. It's interesting that from Dejan Jakovic in the middle there's exactly 8 guys below him, on my subjective and somewhat random list, who make $175K or greater and 8 guys above him who make $275K or lower. So there's you range: $175K to $275K with $225 happily right in the middle. The gold standard for a CB pairing in MLS over the last few seasons, Olave and Borchers, are just on either side of that at $250,000 and $211,973 respectively.

IF HE WORKS OUT, having O'Dea on money around $200K-$225K to start would be good business.

Wull
08-04-2012, 02:27 PM
That's probably right. I just think we need to be more aware of the value proposition of these guys from England. Eckersley on $390K is ... well I'll leave it there before I start a firefight.

If what I'm told is right, at least 50% of that is Plata's transfer fee being buried as he wasn't a DP

ensco
08-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Before this discussion goes any further and $100K for Bernardez becomes considered anything but the outlier it is let's create an index.

Thanks to the MLS PA we've got access to something like numbers. What should a regular starter CB, who's not a kid, and has established credentials in the league or overseas, cost you in MLS?

(All number based on Guaranteed Compensation which includes annualized guaranteed bonuses. Remember this is not NECESSARILY the player's budget expense this season but serves a useful proxy to compare the amount of resources devoted to them.)

MON Nelson Rivas $50,000
NER AJ Soares $116,450
SEA Jeff Parke $185,325
FCD Ugo Ihemelu $190,000
COL Drew Moor $247,189
SKC Julio Cesar $255,750
VAN Jay DeMerit $350,000

IF HE WORKS OUT, having O'Dea on money around $200K-$225K to start would be good business.

This is a thoughtful analysis. I was wrong in my earlier comment. Now that I see all the data, I agree with this view.

I guess just once I'd like to be the team that finds the guy for less than the standard (like SJ and Bernandez). THAT is the key to winning championships.

Whoop
08-04-2012, 03:17 PM
That's the key in a cap league. You're trying to squeeze every penny.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luaqjzDdy41qjbyjh.jpg

Furtado91
08-04-2012, 03:19 PM
^^^^^^ LOL. I love the simpson references. glad to know theres tons of you guys who watch it here ahahaha.

jazzy
08-05-2012, 03:03 PM

MON Nelson Rivas $50,000
NER AJ Soares $116,450
SEA Jeff Parke $185,325
FCD Ugo Ihemelu $190,000
COL Drew Moor $247,189
SKC Julio Cesar $255,750
VAN Jay DeMerit $350,000

Looking at that list, it's clear that while you can find good quality starting CBs for under $200K, obviously it's an advantage if you can, you shouldn't necessarily expect to or consider yourself hamstrung if you don't. The really established guys tend to cluster around the $200K-$250K range. Who knows who's fibbing about those Montreal numbers or what sort of timebombs are waiting to go off over the coming years there.

When you consider, outside of Eckersley, how little we really spend on the rest of our regular back line I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that we SHOULD be willing to invest in a player around the $250K range. Considering O'Dea's age and international pedigree I don't think something in the standard range, that would let him graduate into the higher part of the list over time if he works out and sticks around, is unreasonable. Anything below $200K would be great business; starting him above $250K probably wouldn't be. Again: he's supposed to be an every game starter that we can rely on. You've got to be willing to pay for that unless you find a crazy bargain. We'll see when the numbers come out again.

Edit: And I wasn't trying to cherry pick data but create an idea of "regular" compensation for an established starting CB. That meant leaving off someone like George John who's clearly just seeing out his deal before moving on or Patrick Ianni who's only broken through as a starter recently and is still being paid like a sub. It's interesting that from Dejan Jakovic in the middle there's exactly 8 guys below him, on my subjective and somewhat random list, who make $175K or greater and 8 guys above him who make $275K or lower. So there's you range: $175K to $275K with $225 happily right in the middle. The gold standard for a CB pairing in MLS over the last few seasons, Olave and Borchers, are just on either side of that at $250,000 and $211,973 respectively.

first great job on the info....what this says to me is why on earth didn't we trade big time years ago for Hainault!

the money's not really a problem if O'Dea is worth it...BUT how do we know!......after Ecks who should be $150,000 to $200,000 all-in IF we had a good mgr...never happen,..lol!

but what is scary is $327,667 for Wynn.....OMG that could have been us paying that, thank-god.....the key here is what O'Dea brings to our developing future stars Henry ,

Morgan ...who I would pay NOW $80,000 to start.