PDA

View Full Version : Any truth to Avila Trade Rumors?

Gaucho
08-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I hope the trade rumors mentioned in an in-match thread about Avila are wrong. He's a nifty player and has shown pretty well in the minutes he's been given. IMO, good enough to start and maybe better coming off the bench in some situations.

Oh, by way of introduction, I'm a huge fan of UC Santa Barbara and have been following Toronto closely since Andy Iro joined and have been lurking on this board for some time. Now with both Avila and Silva on the team, I watch almost all of Toronto's matches. Oh, and your head scout was a UCSB coach until a couple years ago. Love me some Toronto! Now you just need to sign Rob Friend! Btw, to join the forum, I had to answer the question "Who was the first player to score for Toronto?". I admit that I had to look it up. But, can anyone tell me who the first Canadian to score for Toronto was? :)

Ok, back to Avila. Is there any basis for thinking he might be traded or is the speculation based purely on his lack of playing time recently?

Btw, how 'bout Silva? He's stood out for me since his freshman year in college. Special player... creative, smart, smooth, competitive, subtle, and fantastic with his off the ball movement and touch. What a thrill to see him transition so well to MLS... and CCL :)

Go Reds!

deschamp86
08-02-2012, 08:47 PM
First Canadian to score for TFC, Jim Brennan.

First Canadian from UCSB to score for TFC, Tyler Rosenlund.

ensco
08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Nice.

Avila is a nice player, I don't know why he can't seem to find a regular spot. Mariner is obviously committed to a physical style in central midfield. Personally I would pick him over Dunfield, but that would require a different formation.

We won't have Silva for long. He is going to Europe imho. He may be a better prospect than Edu at the same stage.

Tell me, do you guys have something you do when you play the Banana Slugs?
http://guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/usscbananaslugs.jpg

brad
08-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I posted the bit about him being traded in the post game thread. The source for that comment is from some folks in the media that are connected and have a decent track record have mentioned that they have heard that. Not that it is happening, but there are rumors.

Problem is, we need to strengthen, and we do need to work within the MLS trade system as well as looking at foreign players. We have very few players on our roster that have trade value within the league. Avila is one.

Personally - pure speculation here, I think with Silva Mariner sees Avila as expendable. While it would be nice to have both for depth, there are likely more pressing needs.

I like Avila, but he's hot and cold and disappears for large periods. Silva excites me more than any other prospect we have had since maybe back to Edu. This kid looks to be the real deal and I want to see him get as much playing time as possible - down the middle.

jabbronies
08-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if true.

Avila seems to have been a Winter pick. Skilled and fast player in the midfield. Less on the physical side.
Mariner seems to want a more physical guy in there rather than a speedy play maker.

DoubleUp
08-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Nice.

Avila is a nice player, I don't know why he can't seem to find a regular spot. Mariner is obviously committed to a physical style in central midfield. Personally I would pick him over Dunfield, but that would require a different formation.

We won't have Silva for long. He is going to Europe imho. He may be a better prospect than Edu at the same stage.

Tell me, do you guys have something you do when you play the Banana Slugs?
http://guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/usscbananaslugs.jpg

Slow down, we said that about frei and he's still here.

[NBF]
08-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Slow down, we said that about frei and he's still here.

Not everyone can play in Europe. You have to have reached certain international quotas if you wanna play in England. Other leagues have non-european limits on their roster as well. I dont think Silva will be nothing more than a Wells Thompson or Calen Carr.

Wouldn't be surprised if true.

Avila seems to have been a Winter pick. Skilled and fast player in the midfield. Less on the physical side. Mariner seems to want a more physical guy in there rather than a speedy play maker.

Those playmakers are useless, we have one too many of those. All the other MLS teams have it wrong, the key to reaching the MLS Cup is by lowering the skill level on the team. No wonder you guys love Terry Dunfield.:facepalm:

IMO, when you have someone with value unless you are getting someone of better quality you are better off not making a trade. Its baffling he doesnt play every game. If TFC thinks they can get a 1st round pick for him they need to rethink that strategy because there most likely isnt many players in college system that can play at his current skill level in MLS.

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2012, 05:58 AM
;1518283']Not everyone can play in Europe. You have to have reached certain international quotas if you wanna play in England. Other leagues have non-european limits on their roster as well. I dont think Silva will be nothing more than a Wells Thompson or Calen Carr.

One of the contributing factors in a lot of people thinking Frei was headed for Europe, was his Swiss citizenship.

Those playmakers are useless, we have one too many of those. All the other MLS teams have it wrong, the key to reaching the MLS Cup is by lowering the skill level on the team. No wonder you guys love Terry Dunfield.:facepalm:

Without commenting on Dunfield specifically (who I don't love or hate, personally), I will say I don't think there's anything wrong with opting for a physical presence in midfield, instead of a quicker, less physical "playmaker". Such a philosophy isn't relegated to only Toronto FC, either.

- Scott

ensco
08-03-2012, 07:40 AM
;1518283']Not everyone can play in Europe. You have to have reached certain international quotas if you wanna play in England. Other leagues have non-european limits on their roster as well. I dont think Silva will be nothing more than a Wells Thompson or Calen Carr.

I never thought Frei was going.

Silva, today, is better than Thompson or Carr ever were.

I want this engraved in granite on here somewhere - Silva is as good as gone. He is special. Enjoy it while it lasts. He has both touch and strength on the ball. That is the bigtime.

Pookie
08-03-2012, 08:20 AM

I want this engraved in granite on here somewhere - Silva is as good as gone. He is special. Enjoy it while it lasts. He has both touch and strength on the ball. That is the bigtime.

^ I guess the NCAA doesn't stunt a player's development after all

T-boy
08-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I love Avila, but he's taking up a big bit of cap space that we could use elsewhere. Plus we still have a LOT of depth in midfield from aguys who don't count against the roster (HGP's). I want Avila to stay here, but he could be the one piece to sacrifice if we were looking for a swap with another MLS team.

Canary10
08-03-2012, 09:38 AM

I'm not as sold on Silva. I've watched him botch the most basic things, and he often makes aimless runs. That might be a symptom of not getting into a game properly. But I don't think it's a done deal that he's Europe bound.

Gaucho
08-03-2012, 10:58 AM
First Canadian to score for TFC, Jim Brennan.

First Canadian from UCSB to score for TFC, Tyler Rosenlund.

But Rosenlund's wiki page says he was the first Canadian-born player to score for Toronto. Maybe the "Canadian-born" part is the distinction? Because, hey, if it's on wikipedia, it must be true!

Avila was a Generation Adidas player. Does his salary still count against the cap? I know it does inititally, but I don't know when GA contracts start to count against the cap.

Regarding the Banana Slugs of UC Santa Cruz, we don't play them unless it's an exhibition. They play Division 2. But there is something UCSB fans do at matches, and that's fling tortillas, particularly after goals. Our biggest match from two years ago against UCLA illustrates this quite well (we host them on Fox Soccer Channel later this year again):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh8rQ4DBFT0

Abou Sky
08-03-2012, 11:04 AM

No offense, but I think you are nuts to like him in CM over Dunfield, he is GREAT out on the left though and I think he should be there to stay. Weedman did well and I want to keep both of them.

DaBandit
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm not as sold on Silva. I've watched him botch the most basic things, and he often makes aimless runs. That might be a symptom of not getting into a game properly. But I don't think it's a done deal that he's Europe bound.

I argee with this view, however you have to remember that most of those came when he was playing out of position. Silva is NOT a winger he needs to be playing in the middle to best utilize his strengths.

Abou Sky
08-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I love Avila, but he's taking up a big bit of cap space that we could use elsewhere. Plus we still have a LOT of depth in midfield from aguys who don't count against the roster (HGP's). I want Avila to stay here, but he could be the one piece to sacrifice if we were looking for a swap with another MLS team.

Silva could get us a LOT of allocation, I think we have him until end of next year.

Avila is a well priced player and IMO totally worth his cap hit.

ensco
08-03-2012, 12:01 PM
No offense, but I think you are nuts to like him in CM over Dunfield, he is GREAT out on the left though and I think he should be there to stay. Weedman did well and I want to keep both of them.

No offence, but I think this is double nuts. Silva is not a winger. His genius is in traffic.

ForeverTFC
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
It amazes me that Avila can't get off the bench. He is one the better quality players in this league, he is young, and he is not leaving this league. Is this not the kind of player you want to invest in?

golaso.gol
08-03-2012, 01:45 PM
It amazes me that Avila can't get off the bench. He is one the better quality players in this league, he is young, and he is not leaving this league. Is this not the kind of player you want to invest in?

If you are going to by-pass the midfield and launch balls up to your forwards a guy like Avilla will have difficulties getting a spot from Mariner in midfield. His strength is ball at feet and interchange play....not something encouraged right now for the sake of safe, "not complex" play.

T-boy
08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
If you are going to by-pass the midfield and launch balls up to your forwards a guy like Avilla will have difficulties getting a spot from Mariner in midfield. His strength is ball at feet and interchange play....not something encouraged right now for the sake of safe, "not complex" play.

did you see that interchange of play between Silva and Lambe on Wednesday?

T-boy
08-03-2012, 02:41 PM

I do love Avila, but I can't say he's playing "better" that any of Lambe, Silva, Dunfield, OR Frings right now. Silva is impressing us all, Dunfield is in the best form he can possibly be, Lambe is improving all the time, and Frings is Frings. Which of the 4 would you drop for Avila right now?

Ultra & Proud
08-03-2012, 02:47 PM
I do love Avila, but I can't say he's playing "better" that any of Lambe, Silva, Dunfield, OR Frings right now. Silva is impressing us all, Dunfield is in the best form he can possibly be, Lambe is improving all the time, and Frings is Frings. Which of the 4 would you drop for Avila right now?
Agree with this. I think Avila has some skill but I see him as being a bit slight for this league and he does get knocked off the ball easily. He also goes invisible for long stretches during matches and always has. If we could get quality for him on the market I'd take it.

jabbronies
08-03-2012, 02:53 PM
One of the contributing factors in a lot of people thinking Frei was headed for Europe, was his Swiss citizenship.

Without commenting on Dunfield specifically (who I don't love or hate, personally), I will say I don't think there's anything wrong with opting for a physical presence in midfield, instead of a quicker, less physical "playmaker". Such a philosophy isn't relegated to only Toronto FC, either.

- Scott

This is the same type of thinking that sent Sam Cronin packing to San Jose. Not that you are saying to send away Avila, but I find it difficult to send away a player with skill for a guy who is just muscle. But I guess there's a balance that needs to happen and Lambe/Silva are those skilled mids.

Nuvinho
08-03-2012, 02:59 PM
This is the same type of thinking that sent Sam Cronin packing to San Jose. Not that you are saying to send away Avila, but I find it difficult to send away a player with skill for a guy who is just muscle. But I guess there's a balance that needs to happen and Lambe/Silva are those skilled mids.

Avila for Cronin....done!

Ultra & Proud
08-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Avila for Cronin....done!

+1!!!

T-boy
08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
That would be a good pickup! Agreed! Cronin is a good long term replacement for Frings after he retires. Make it happen Mariner! :p

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2012, 04:03 PM

There's no type of thinking behind what I said - beyond that there's nothing principally wrong wth opting for some physicality and backbone in your midfield. Arsenal wasted a lot of good years in part because they didn't have enough spine up the middle, after they sent Patrick Vieira to Juventus.

I wasn't endorsing a midfield full of nothing but dumb muscle, and no skill. But if Dunfield can demonstrate himself to be a competent passer, coupled with a distributor or two, I think that's a decent formula for this league. IF being the key word, of course. His passing has been better of late, I will give him that.

- Scott

Thomas
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Agreed. He has a ways to go before any kind of done deal. He shows flashes of brilliance at times, but very inconsistent thus far. I would say that he shows great potential at this point in time.

Gaucho
08-03-2012, 05:06 PM
While I believe Avila has the requisite speed to play out wide, I think he's more effective in the middle. He plays well in tight spaces and plays the give-and-go effectively. Even when he does play in a wider position, he likes to cut it back inside and do his damage there. His body and speed suggest that he'd be a more effective wide player, but his skill and mentality are better suited for the middle, IMO.

jabbronies
08-04-2012, 10:49 AM
There's no type of thinking behind what I said - beyond that there's nothing principally wrong wth opting for some physicality and backbone in your midfield. Arsenal wasted a lot of good years in part because they didn't have enough spine up the middle, after they sent Patrick Vieira to Juventus.

I wasn't endorsing a midfield full of nothing but dumb muscle, and no skill. But if Dunfield can demonstrate himself to be a competent passer, coupled with a distributor or two, I think that's a decent formula for this league. IF being the key word, of course. His passing has been better of late, I will give him that.

- Scott

Agreed.

Right now the choice is either Avila or Silva. Silva is hot right now so he will get the playing time over Avila. If this continues, we'll see how Avila fits into the lineup, if at all

ag futbol
08-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Dunfield needs to be upgraded, no two ways about it. I mean the all-effort routine is cute and all, but he's not even nearly playing at the level most defensive mids in this league are.

I agree, we shouldn't be hell bent on trading Avila unless what's coming back is going to be better quality. Don't understand why we are holding him back either.