PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Aug.01

denime
08-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Mornin'

:flare::drum::scarf:GAME DAY !!:scarf::drum::flare:

TFC TV (http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Toronto Signs Freddy Hall (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/07/toronto-fc-signs-freddy-hall)

Home wins key to TFC's Champions hopes (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/07/31/toronto_fc_champions_league_preview/)

Winning at home crucial to Toronto FC’s Champions League hopes (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/winning-at-home-crucial-to-toronto-fcs-champions-league-hopes/article4451828/)

CONCACAF Champions League: Toronto FC needs to win at BMO Field to keep hopes alive (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/1234816--concacaf-champions-league-toronto-fc-needs-to-win-at-bmo-field-to-keep-hopes-alive)

Hope for Canada (http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/2012/07/31/molinaro_positive_signs/)

Canada's soccer women facing concentration test (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/opinion/olympics2012/2012/07/olympics-a-concentration-test-for-canadas-soccer-women.html)

Tancredi rallies Canada into women's soccer quarters (http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/soccer/story/2012/07/31/sp-olympics-womens-soccer-canada-sweden-christine-sinclair.html)

Tancredi guides Canada into quarter-finals (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/07/31/canada_sweden_olympics/)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

denime
08-01-2012, 05:41 AM
CONCACAF Champions League — Toronto FC vs. C. D. Aguila

BMO FIELD ; KICKOFF: 8 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet1

TFC PROBABLE STARTING XI

Kocic; Henry, Eckersley, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Dunfield, Frings, Silva; Amarikwa, Johnson

Plenty of Trout
08-01-2012, 06:01 AM
As Austin Powers said so eloquently "that SSG is a man, man".

ouderwien
08-01-2012, 07:14 AM
I'm still not sold on the Hall signing. What does this do for Roberts. I know he was just a patch fix, but by Roberts playing for TFC does this mean he can't have NCAA eligibility.

I saw that Mariner is intending to put him out on loan, but is it too late now?

Also, Bermuda can't be that big of a talent pool, you would like that it would be exhausted by now. Wouldn't the CSL be at equal value?

Technorgasm
08-01-2012, 07:15 AM
this:

http://i.thestar.com/images/17/5f/c661fc3549dda358d02bcdaa48a1.jpg

ouderwien
08-01-2012, 07:15 AM
And thanks d!

ensco
08-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Is it just me, or does Hassli look shattered? There have been 3 or 4 pics posted since the trade, and in every one he looks like a guy whose thought that his ship had come in, but then it sank in the harbour.

scooter
08-01-2012, 07:24 AM
mornin d

Phil
08-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Is it just me, or does Hassli look shattered? There have been 3 or 4 pics posted since the trade, and in every one he looks like a guy whose thought that his ship had come in, but then it sank in the harbour.

I think you are reading into it a weeeee bit too much. I talked with him Saturday after the game and he seems like a pretty articulate and well balanced guy. Also has the look of a dude that you would not want to piss off.

ManUtd4ever
08-01-2012, 07:33 AM

If you watch his introductory press conference on TFC TV, he seems genuinely excited to be here, and anxious to prove himself on the pitch. He admitted to being disheartened when he left Vancouver, but he wasn't content there anymore as a reserve player under Rennie. He is looking forward to playing regular minutes as a starter under Mariner.

TOBOR !
08-01-2012, 07:56 AM
loving the headlines from Sportsnet, the Globe and the Star.

Home wins key to TFC's Champions hopes
Winning at home crucial to Toronto FC’s Champions League hopes
CONCACAF Champions League: Toronto FC needs to win at BMO Field to keep hopes alive

Do you think these guys call each other before submitting ? Or perhaps the pull their material from a pool and paraphrase ?

Auzzy
08-01-2012, 08:00 AM
loving the headlines from Sportsnet, the Globe and the Star.

Home wins key to TFC's Champions hopes
Winning at home crucial to Toronto FC’s Champions League hopes
CONCACAF Champions League: Toronto FC needs to win at BMO Field to keep hopes alive

Do you think these guys call each other before submitting ? Or perhaps the pull their material from a pool and paraphrase ?

Well, the fact that those are just three different headlines for the exact same Canadian Press article published by all three papers, may have something to do with it. ;)

Eastend
08-01-2012, 08:31 AM

TFC PROBABLE STARTING XI

Kocic; Henry, Eckersley, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Dunfield, Frings, Silva; Amarikwa, Johnson

So it IS on TV afterall?

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Freddie Hall was in a PDL team at 27 years old. Yeah, you could say CSL would not be far off from that but I guess we'll see. As Pook will no doubt remind us, he takes an international spot so perhaps if he's loaned out we won't have it count against us? Pookie?

So CD Aguila from El Salvador...paging Flush...Is this a team you'd want to see to hate or to see cause you've seen them before?

And the Girls get through to play GB. Good luck Girls!
Oh and tix to see the Guys vs Panama and Cuba are on sale below! World Cup Qualifiers, you know!

I'll be at Joe's as early as I can tonight and bring some merch to Support Local Football with Shirts at $10 and Flags at $5!

Phil
08-01-2012, 08:52 AM

TFC PROBABLE STARTING XI

Twitter seems to be saying that the game isn't on TV tonight. Sportnets channel guide doesnt show it either. I think Concacaf is streaming it only.

Super
08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Twitter seems to be saying that the game isn't on TV tonight. Sportnets channel guide doesnt show it either. I think Concacaf is streaming it only.

Asif said it's not on TV. Sportsnet1 not showing the game - at least if you trust the guide.

Strikers
08-01-2012, 10:25 AM
The game is will be streamed on CONCACAF TV. The one and only thing CONCACAF has done right; is CONCACAF TV which live streams most competitions in our region for free.

Pookie
08-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Freddie Hall was in a PDL team at 27 years old. Yeah, you could say CSL would not be far off from that but I guess we'll see. As Pook will no doubt remind us, he takes an international spot so perhaps if he's loaned out we won't have it count against us? Pookie?

Actually, I read somewhere that he holds a US Passport and played in the NCAA. If true, he would be domestic. Of course, official TFC releases contain no such info to verify.

As an aside, a few days ago Larson wrote about Canadians counting as Internationals in the US. He, through quotes from Earl, seems to have chalked that up to immigration laws. Nothing we can do if the government won't let us. Sounds fine except Canadians have no issues playing for American based NHL, NBA, NFL, NLL, MLB teams. Same immigration laws. I'm not connecting the dots.

JuliquE
08-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Actually, I read somewhere that he holds a US Passport and played in the NCAA. If true, he would be domestic. Of course, official TFC releases contain no such info to verify.

As an aside, a few days ago Larson wrote about Canadians counting as Internationals in the US. He, through quotes from Earl, seems to have chalked that up to immigration laws. Nothing we can do if the government won't let us. Sounds fine except Canadians have no issues playing for American based NHL, NBA, NFL, NLL, MLB teams. Same immigration laws. I'm not connecting the dots.
The difference being that there isn't an international limit in those leagues; the US immigration laws wouldn't permit MLS to show Canadians preferential treatment, over any other nations. That said, it seems pretty odd, even if the league was originally designed to serve US soccer, that the league can't be officially classed as both American and Canadian.. particularly since they play many games on Canadian soil -- would solve everything.

Yohan
08-01-2012, 11:43 AM
The difference being that there isn't an international limit in those leagues; the US immigration laws wouldn't permit MLS to show Canadians preferential treatment, over any other nations. That said, it seems pretty odd, even if the league was originally designed to serve US soccer, that the league can't be officially classed as both American and Canadian.. particularly since they play many games on Canadian soil -- would solve everything.

I think this might have to do with FIFA rules.

JuliquE
08-01-2012, 11:46 AM
I think this might have to do with FIFA rules.
Yeah.. I wanted to cite Cardiff and Swansea as examples that seem to disprove your theory, before realizing the obvious GB connection.

A strange one, though, isn't it?

ensco
08-01-2012, 12:45 PM
I think you are reading into it a weeeee bit too much.

Hmmm. Can I change my board name to "Zapruder"? g:D

TOBOR !
08-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah.. I wanted to cite Cardiff and Swansea as examples that seem to disprove your theory, before realizing the obvious GB connection.

A strange one, though, isn't it?

and Wrexham. However, all of the home countries and the Republic of Ireland have their own independent FAs. So the GB connection has nothing to do with it.

Probably the Welsh teams joined the English leagues before the Welsh FA was formed.

Pookie
08-01-2012, 02:23 PM
The difference being that there isn't an international limit in those leagues; the US immigration laws wouldn't permit MLS to show Canadians preferential treatment, over any other nations

The thing that I am not grasping though is that the MLS quota system is imposed by the MLS, not the US government. It would appear to be independent of the US Immigration law which would dictate who is allowed to reside and collect a pay check on US soil.

If the NHL suddenly imposed a European quota, would that mean that Canadians would suddenly find their work permits revoked in an effort to not show preferential treatment? From Immigration's perspective, as long as you are offering a job to a Canadian for a specific purpose and they meet criteria, it would be an individual decision to grant them the right to reside there.

The way I read US Immigration law is that as long as you have an employer willing to offer you a job and you meet the criteria, you are entitled to stay there as long as you hold the job. The employer's HR policies are their HR policies and if they want to offer affirmative action programs or in this case, a quota system, then that should be independent of US immigration law...

no?

TOBOR !
08-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Immigration law and League restirictions are two different things.

MLS has them because they're protecting the interests of US players. Thereby developing the game in the country.

Other leagues don't require them because, generally speaking, all the best players are either US or Canadian. Ergo, protection not required.

TOBOR !
08-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Visas for Athletes (http://www.usimmigrationlaw.net/visas-athletes.htm)

O-1 Visas

This visa is available to individual athletes of "extraordinary ability". To obtain an O-1 visa, athletes must demonstrate that they possess "a level of expertise indicating that they are one of the small percentage who have risen to the top of the field of endeavor." Examples of O-1 eligible athletes would be Wayne Gretzky, Ronaldo and Annika
Sorenstam.

P-1 Visas

Athletes who cannot meet the "extraordinary ability standard" required for an O-1 visa may petition for a P-1 visa. To qualify for a P-1 visa the athlete must show that he is internationally
recognized and is coming to the U.S. to participate in a league or event with a distinguished reputation. Athletes under contract with the NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS and NFL need only establish that they have a major league contract to qualify for a P-1 visa.

I'll make the assumption that the Visa is valid for the term of the contract and remains valid if the contract is transferred to a different employer.

TOBOR !
08-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Also this :

TN Visas (http://www.usimmigrationlaw.net/canadians-TN-visas.htm)

The only new immigration provision created by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is the TN Visa. NAFTA provides for the temporary entry of Mexican and Canadian business persons to engage in activities at a professional level.

To qualify for a TN Visa the applicant must submit the following evidence:

proof of Canadian or Mexican citizenship
offer of employment in the United States in one of the professions listed in NAFTA proof the applicant is qualified to work in the profession
filing fees

A qualified TN Visa applicant will be admitted for up to one year. Canadian and Mexican TN Visa applicants are permitted to extend their visas indefinitely on an annual basis. TD Visa status is available for spouses and unmarried minor children of the TN Visa applicant, which permits them to live and attend school in the United States during the duration of the TN Visa.

NAFTA Job List (http://www.tnvisaexpert.com/overview/nafta_job_list/)

Nope... didn't see professional footballer on there anywhere

JuliquE
08-01-2012, 03:20 PM

MLS has them because they're protecting the interests of US players. Thereby developing the game in the country.

Other leagues don't require them because, generally speaking, all the best players are either US or Canadian. Ergo, protection not required.
Bingo.

Were they to say the league is both American and Canadian, they could have a realistic quota for both.

Pookie
08-01-2012, 03:57 PM

So, Earl suggesting that the Canadian restriction on working in the US is due to Immigration laws is a bit of a how shall we say, "misdirection"?

In reality, if the league relaxed the rules, Immigration would fully allow players to play south of the border provided they have a valid contract?

Auzzy
08-01-2012, 04:24 PM
So, Earl suggesting that the Canadian restriction on working in the US is due to Immigration laws is a bit of a how shall we say, "misdirection"?

In reality, if the league relaxed the rules, Immigration would fully allow players to play south of the border provided they have a valid contract?

Huh? US Immigration would allow an unlimited number of Canadians to play on US MLS teams, if the same teams & league also allowed an unlimited number players of any other nationality to play on the team. Either they have no nationality-based roster restrictions (and that wouldn't match the point of MLS in the first place, trying to promote US soccer players), or those roster restrictions apply to all other nations including Canada.

Unfortunately NAFTA is much weaker than the EU. In the EU, all EU nationals have to be treated the same, while there are roster restrictions for players from nations outside of the EU. NAFTA does not give MLS the right to treat Canadian soccer players any different from soccer players with other nationalities.