PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Jul.25

denime
07-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Centre Backs, We Have A Few (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/07/centre-backs-we-have-few)

Dunfield key to Reds' future (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/07/24/mls_toronto_fc_terry_dunfield/):facepalm: (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/07/24/mls_toronto_fc_terry_dunfield/)

Canada, Japan to kick off Olympic soccer (http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/2012/07/23/canada_japan_stream_live/)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

Carts
07-25-2012, 07:22 AM
"Paul came in and it was like a breath of fresh air," Dunfield told sportsnet.ca

I think most of us could see that by the players play, attitude, and results...

scooter
07-25-2012, 07:30 AM
mornin d

ManUtd4ever
07-25-2012, 07:42 AM
I don't know about Dunfield being the key to the future, LOL, but he did offer up this interesting comment...

The midfielder noted that Winter's dismissal is one the players were all accountable for, and that there was no foul play in Mariner's appointment.
"He was definitely behind (Aron Winter) in what he wanted to do, there were no knives in his back," Dunfield stated.

mdc 77
07-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Odd headline, but the article shows that Mariner is doing a brilliant job of taking what he has and making the most of it. A massive part of coaching is getting the most out of your players and knowing how to do that.

TFC07
07-25-2012, 08:16 AM
as for dunfield's own plans, he has his eye on helping the canadian squad in their bid to qualify for the 2014 world cup in brazil and to continue plugging away in toronto's midfield. He wants his career to go beyond playing though.
"i've got all my (coaching) badges now. there was an opportunity to coach in the academy, but it's difficult with so many games in our schedule," dunfield said.

wtf?!

TFC07
07-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Odd headline, but the article shows that Mariner is doing a brilliant job of taking what he has and making the most of it. A massive part of coaching is getting the most out of your players and knowing how to do that.

Agreed.

But this is Mariner's team since he's one signed these players. So there shouldn't be any excuses for Mariner.

Joe Kool
07-25-2012, 08:36 AM
It also interesting the comment about Plata. He had a tough time with the notion that he had to battle for a spot. Guess he still has to grow up a bit in terms of that. Welcome to the world of soccer. You would think players would have that battle for a spot mentality by the time they got to that level. Senior players should have been coaching him on that. Maybe they were...who knows.

Phil
07-25-2012, 08:38 AM
wtf?! [/font][/color]

When Jimmy B moved up to assistant I think Terry was looking at that opening and wondering if he could do that job and still play.

Detroit_TFC
07-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Quite a shit show in Philadelphia. Not referring to All-Star Game. Nowak's lawsuit against PUFC is an airing of dirty laundry on a proportion that makes me wince, even considering what we've been through. I'm sure MLS and USSF are going to want the PU owners to make this lawsuit go away as quickly as possible, despite the firm ground they had to dismiss Nowak. Can't see Nowak getting a top job in MLS ever again.

KGH
07-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Quite a shit show in Philadelphia. Not referring to All-Star Game. Nowak's lawsuit against PUFC is an airing of dirty laundry on a proportion that makes me wince, even considering what we've been through. I'm sure MLS and USSF are going to want the PU owners to make this lawsuit go away as quickly as possible, despite the firm ground they had to dismiss Nowak. Can't see Nowak getting a top job in MLS ever again.

Can you post some links? I'd love to read this

mdc 77
07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/soccer/163507486.html?ref=twitter.com

tfcleeds
07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Best of luck to our Canadian women as they begin their Olympic schedule today! Tough group though...

v00d00daddy
07-25-2012, 10:03 AM
"Hello. I'd like to welcome all the parents and players of the upcoming 2013-2014 TFC Academy season.

I'd like to introduce Terry Dunfield as a new coach for the academy. He's been brought in to teach your boys how to become proper professional footballers and impart his skill and knowledge to make them better players."

Insert the sound of doors slamming and crickets chirping.

WTF is wrong with this club man?

jabbronies
07-25-2012, 10:07 AM
I'll take Terry's words with a grain of salt. He was one of the players who greatly benefited from the coaching change. Would love to hear what a player of Koevs, frings or ecks has to really say about the change.

mdc 77
07-25-2012, 10:11 AM
I'll take Terry's words with a grain of salt. He was one of the players who greatly benefited from the coaching change. Would love to hear what a player of Koevs, frings or ecks has to really say about the change.

I'm just going to take a wild guess here but I would say you would be hard pressed to find any player who wouldn't echo Dunfield's sentiments.

Oldtimer
07-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Really interesting to see the details of Nowak's contract. I always wanted to read one of those. It even specified a $200k bonus for winning the Club World Cup. Thanks for posting the article.

mastermixer
07-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Wow...

Report: Red Bulls Targeted Kaka

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/07/report-red-bulls-targeted-kaka.html

Dbl_D
07-25-2012, 10:43 AM
no comment about Lampard in TFC red it'd be nice to see... ;) http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2012/news/article/2012/07/25/all-star-which-chelsea-players-would-make-best-fit-mls

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Dunfield as a coach. Not much diff in experience than Danny or Jimmy when they started.

Richard
07-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Wow...

Fuck off NY!

jabbronies
07-25-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm just going to take a wild guess here but I would say you would be hard pressed to find any player who wouldn't echo Dunfield's sentiments.

Kind of Agree with you. I don't think other players will be throwing Mariner under the bus and say it was a bad move. But at the end of the day Dunfield will have nothing but praise for the change. Again, he is one of the few players who has benefited greatly from the change. Someone like Koevs would be more inclined to say it for what it is - great for the results, but not make it seem like it's the best thing to happen since sliced bread for the team. Team is playing shit soccer, but getting results. Again - good for results, but not so much good for the soccer.

Huyton
07-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Some of the best coaches and managers (in any sport) weren't the greatest footballers in the world. Take a look at the playing careers of Bob Paisley or Alex Ferguson. There is no hint there of the great managers they would become.

Dunfield has had the foresight and interest to go and get the certifications that he needs. Good on him.

His efforts to carry on in the game he so obviously loves should be applauded, not mocked.

TFC07
07-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Some of the best coaches and managers (in any sport) weren't the greatest footballers in the world. Take a look at the playing careers of Bob Paisley or Alex Ferguson. There is no hint there of the great managers they would become.

Dunfield has had the foresight and interest to go and get the certifications that he needs. Good on him.

His efforts to carry on in the game he so obviously loves should be applauded, not mocked.

Academy isn't all about winning, it's about developing players (main reason). Reason why Dunfield is being mocked because he doesn't have soccer IQ and skills as a soccer player. So how can kids respect and take someone like Dunfield seriously especially we're trying to develop players to play more technical and attacking soccer (4-3-3)?

T-boy
07-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Academy isn't all about winning, it's about developing players (main reason). Reason why Dunfield is being mocked because he doesn't have soccer IQ and skills as a soccer player. So how can kids respect and take someone like Dunfield seriously especially we're trying to develop players to play more technical and attacking soccer (4-3-3)?

Danny Dichio was never a technically gifted player, yet he's the head of the u18 academy!

TFC07
07-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Danny Dichio was never a technically gifted player, yet he's the head of the u18 academy!

I disagree!

Dichio was able to pass the ball and read the game well. He actually had a good first touch with ball too. Plus he actually had experience playing higher top tier soccer in Europe.

ag futbol
07-25-2012, 11:36 AM
I could see this one going either way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't underestimate the ability of really bad former professional soccer players to be great coaches. Guys who can stick in a league for a long time, despite not being the very talented tend to be able to communicate the ins-and-outs of things to their players a lot better than natural talents, who often take for granted how easy the game is for them compared to most. That being said, Dunfield doesn't exactly strike me as the type. He's all-effort no-brain out there. I'd be more willing to bet someone like Ante Jazic, who still plays in MLS at 36 would be successful at this type of role. He relies on a lot more than just his work-rate.

The other thing that bothers me is that TFC continues to breed this culture of nepotism and back-scratching. Oh what loyal player you have been to the club Dunfield, playing here barely more than a year, why don't you have a coaching job? This kind of stuff has to stop.

Dunfield as a coach. Not much diff in experience than Danny or Jimmy when they started.
True, but in the end these are all patronage appointments. With the exception of Danny Dichio they are un-earned. Next thing you know Terry Dunfield is going to be put up on the wall of honour.

joeyjones
07-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Kind of Agree with you. I don't think other players will be throwing Mariner under the bus and say it was a bad move. But at the end of the day Dunfield will have nothing but praise for the change. Again, he is one of the few players who has benefited greatly from the change. Someone like Koevs would be more inclined to say it for what it is - great for the results, but not make it seem like it's the best thing to happen since sliced bread for the team. Team is playing shit soccer, but getting results. Again - good for results, but not so much good for the soccer.

FWIW, Koevermans already said earlier in the year that he would rather play ugly and win

Huyton
07-25-2012, 11:47 AM

This was said of Rinus Michels (the guy who invented Total Football):
Although there were doubts about Michels' technical skills, team members like Cor van der Hart and Captain Joop Stoffelen were enthusiastic about his strength and heading capabilities. Indeed Michels was characterized for his hard work rather than for his technical qualities.

Yohan
07-25-2012, 11:49 AM
http://wap.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/07/25/mls_carl_robinson_vancouver_whitecaps/?utm_source=Soccer%20Lineup%20RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=Robinson%20loving%20life%20as%20Whitec aps%20coach

Speaking of coaches, every time i read an article about Robbo in Vancouver, i keep wishing he was coaching in toronto. Classy man who would teach the lads so much about how to he a professional player

TFC07
07-25-2012, 11:57 AM
This was said of Rinus Michels (the guy who invented Total Football):
Although there were doubts about Michels' technical skills, team members like Cor van der Hart and Captain Joop Stoffelen were enthusiastic about his strength and heading capabilities. Indeed Michels was characterized for his hard work rather than for his technical qualities.

But you got understand players (kids and their parents) POV. Dunfield isn't some soccer genius or player that players think highly as a soccer player. Academy main objective is to develop players. What credibility does Dunfield have to gain respect and trust from these kids and their parents?

TFC07
07-25-2012, 11:59 AM
http://wap.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/07/25/mls_carl_robinson_vancouver_whitecaps/?utm_source=Soccer Lineup RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=Robinson loving life as Whitecaps coach

Speaking of coaches, every time i read an article about Robbo in Vancouver, i keep wishing he was coaching in toronto. Classy man who would teach the lads so much about how to he a professional player

Yeah he can teach us how to turn ball over in midfield and how to pass the ball blindly. lol

Derko
07-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Holy F--- Guys give it rest, Dunfield may not be the best player in the world, nor was JDG ( useless piece of S---. You all cheered your asses off when Dunfield WON THE GAME for TFC against Vancouver, great corner from Frings. I guess people have to make a mockery of everything don't they.

TFC07
07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Holy F--- Guys give it rest, Dunfield may not be the best player in the world, nor was JDG ( useless piece of S---. You all cheered your asses off when Dunfield WON THE GAME for TFC against Vancouver, great corner from Frings. I guess people have to make a mockery of everything don't they.

I always cheer for TFC no matter who's playing and managing team, but it doesn't mean we can't criticize management and players.

T-boy
07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
But you got understand players (kids and their parents) POV. Dunfield isn't some soccer genius or player that players think highly as a soccer player. Academy main objective is to develop players. What credibility does Dunfield have to gain respect and trust from these kids and their parents?

you really can't judge a coach by his playing skills. As they say - those who can't do, teach!

Jose Mourinho (never a great footballer), Sven Goran Errikson never played above league two in sweden, Villas Boas never actually played professional football, Avram Grant also never played professional football, and many more have gone on to be top class managers without having any skill to speak of. You don't need skill to teach. Soemtimes you just need to be an inspiration to young minds. Dunfield seems like an enthustic type of guy, so you never know, that might make him a good coach!

TFC07
07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
you really can't judge a coach by his playing skills. As they say - those who can't do, teach!

Jose Mourinho (never a great footballer), Sven Goran Errikson never played above league two in sweden, Villas Boas never actually played professional football, Avram Grant also never played professional football, and many more have gone on to be top class managers without having any skill to speak of. You don't need skill to teach. Soemtimes you just need to be an inspiration to young minds. Dunfield seems like an enthustic type of guy, so you never know, that might make him a good coach!

But you missing point here. Academy is about developing players more than winning. Since TFC has made major investment in their academy program, you would think they will take it seriously and have people running academy who know a thing or two. Does Dunfield strike you as someone who has soccer IQ and vision? Does Dunfield give kids and their parents confidence and trust?

T-boy
07-25-2012, 12:16 PM
But you missing point here. Academy is about developing players more than winning. Since TFC has made major investment in their academy program, you would think they will take it seriously and have people running academy who know a thing or two. Does Dunfield strike you as someone who has soccer IQ and vision? Does Dunfield give kids and their parents confidence and trust?

You need a balance of coaches at youth level really, not "only" football IQ type of guys. You also need enthusiasm, and worldly knowledge (which Dunfield does have, even if it is just going to play in the UK!). I personally aren't going to knock Dunfield as a youth coach until he's been tried and tested. And I thought of two more coaches who never played professionally - Wenger and Houllier!

v00d00daddy
07-25-2012, 12:51 PM

Are you telling people to give the mocking a rest and then calling JDG a useless piece of shit in the same post?

Lol

Huyton
07-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I disagree!

Dichio was able to pass the ball and read the game well. He actually had a good first touch with ball too. Plus he actually had experience playing higher top tier soccer in Europe.

My brother and I used to joke about Dichio never playing a forward pass. He'd go several games before doing it. We were actually astonished in one game when he did it twice!

Dichio was all elbows, too. No quarter asked, nor given. It was obvious when opposing defenders had gone up against him.

Yet he was, and remains, a gentleman off the field. A hard worker.

Dunfield was with the Canada U20 and U23 teams in 2000-2003 and yet worked hard enough to get into the senior team in 2010.

Given this, his obvious desire to carry on in the game after he hangs up his boots, and I think he deserves a chance.

Derko
07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
I always cheer for TFC no matter who's playing and managing team, but it doesn't mean we can't criticize management and players.

Yea I know.lol

denime
07-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Dichio has UEFA A License and played in EPL and Seria A, to compare Dunfiled with DD is apples and oranges in every aspect of the game.

joeyjones
07-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Dichio has UEFA A License and played in EPL and Seria A, to compare Dunfiled with DD is apples and oranges in every aspect of the game.

as a player yes...but you have no idea how the comparison between the two w/r/t coaching will be..

Eastend
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
God damn that was frustrating to read....holy f$&?

Huyton
07-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Dichio is also 6 years older than Dunfield (who also played in the EPL). Will Dunfield get a chance at TFC like Dichio did? Maybe, and maybe not.

But both of these guys are journeymen, professionals, who love the game. Dichio played in the EPL and Serie A, Dunfield in the EPL and for his national team.

As for being used to "sell the academy", if Dichio hadn't scored "that goal", then few would remember him.

Gazza
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Guess we can expect another All Star goal from a TFC Legend tonight. Good luck De Ro.

tfc2008
07-25-2012, 03:25 PM
News from Danny

Danny Koevermans is only mid-August surgery on a torn anterior cruciate ligament. The doctors in North America want the striker his first knee can bend 120 degrees.

Koevermans ran his severe injury ten days ago. "I am this morning at the doctor and he expects me about three weeks so far are," says the 33-year-old attacker on the website of Sports Promotion.

Koef can not be bothered. "The important thing for me is that I will one hundred percent fit again can return to the field. This year is over for me anyway. I focus on the new season in Toronto."

The veteran was with nine goals in sixteen races in good shape for the Canadian formation, but is now long on the side. "The estimate is six to nine months. But everything that I can shorten grab. That seems logical to me

Davenport
07-25-2012, 06:24 PM
News from Danny

Danny Koevermans is only mid-August surgery on a torn anterior cruciate ligament. The doctors in North America want the striker his first knee can bend 120 degrees.

Koevermans ran his severe injury ten days ago. "I am this morning at the doctor and he expects me about three weeks so far are," says the 33-year-old attacker on the website of Sports Promotion.

Koef can not be bothered. "The important thing for me is that I will one hundred percent fit again can return to the field. This year is over for me anyway. I focus on the new season in Toronto."

The veteran was with nine goals in sixteen races in good shape for the Canadian formation, but is now long on the side. "The estimate is six to nine months. But everything that I can shorten grab. That seems logical to me

For those of you struggling to know what the fook that meant I've translated it into Hungarian.

Danny Koevermans csak augusztus közepén operálták meg egy szakadt elülső keresztszalag. Az orvosok Észak-Amerikában szeretné, hogy a csatár élete első térd könyök 120 fokot.

Koevermans futott a súlyos sérüléssel 10 nappal ezelőtt. "Én vagyok ma reggel az orvosnál, és ő számít nekem, körülbelül három hét eddigi," mondja a 33 éves támadó a Sport Promotion honlapján.

Koef nem lehet zavarni. "A legfontosabb dolog számomra az, hogy én majd száz százalékig fitt ismét visszatérhet a területen. Idén véget ér a számomra egyébként. Én összpontosítani az új szezon Torontóban."

A veterán volt, kilenc gólt 16 versenyen jó formában a kanadai formáció, de most hosszú oldalán. "A becslés hat-kilenc hónap. De mindent, amit lehet rövidíteni markolóval. Ez logikusnak tűnik számomra

Redcoe15
07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
(SSG) says her dream guy is tall, toned and tanned.

And blind! :ack2:

Huyton
07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
For those of you struggling to know what the fook that meant I've translated it into Hungarian.

Danny Koevermans csak augusztus közepén operálták meg egy szakadt elülső keresztszalag. Az orvosok Észak-Amerikában szeretné, hogy a csatár élete első térd könyök 120 fokot.

Koevermans futott a súlyos sérüléssel 10 nappal ezelőtt. "Én vagyok ma reggel az orvosnál, és ő számít nekem, körülbelül három hét eddigi," mondja a 33 éves támadó a Sport Promotion honlapján.

Koef nem lehet zavarni. "A legfontosabb dolog számomra az, hogy én majd száz százalékig fitt ismét visszatérhet a területen. Idén véget ér a számomra egyébként. Én összpontosítani az új szezon Torontóban."

A veterán volt, kilenc gólt 16 versenyen jó formában a kanadai formáció, de most hosszú oldalán. "A becslés hat-kilenc hónap. De mindent, amit lehet rövidíteni markolóval. Ez logikusnak tűnik számomra

Brilliant! I almost snorted beer when I read that.

Richard
07-25-2012, 07:17 PM

Funny though i can actually read that:o

scooter
07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
u guys are all full of shite terry dunfield is a great guy and would make a great coach cause he is a grinder and may not be that technically talented but gives it all on the pitch and should be able to motivate players
till u step up and coach so we can improve our canadian players shut the fook up

Gazza
07-25-2012, 07:45 PM
An absolute travesty that Terry Dunfield isn't in this All Star game!

Super
07-25-2012, 09:11 PM
An absolute travesty that Terry Dunfield isn't in this All Star game!

Definitely needs more Dunfield.

Yohan
07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Well the all stars beat chelsea 3-2

denime
07-25-2012, 10:22 PM
as a player yes...but you have no idea how the comparison between the two w/r/t coaching will be..

DD coached my son few year back together with C.Robinson,so I know one out of two,watching the other one play I'm glad he will never coach my kid.

joeyjones
07-25-2012, 10:39 PM
DD coached my son few year back together with C.Robinson,so I know one out of two,watching the other one play I'm glad he will never coach my kid.

you like to think you know everything, when in fact you have no idea what dunfield would bring to the table.
keep up the good fight guy, you must have a crystal ball. funny though, you will continue to preach about something
you have no idea about...fact is, you have no idea what dunfield the coach will be, you are clouded by your hate of PM and the changes he has made. I love DD, but people who follow English football looked at him as a failure.

Richard
07-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Jose Mourinho had a playing carear of 7 years, most of it in 3rd division sem-pro leagues. He is now considered one of the best coaches/Managers in the world, there are many more examples of this. Lets not rush and make a judgement, unless you know dunfield inside out you wont know his football IQ off the field. As a player he obviously lacks the skill necessary to execute. Im not saying he would be awsome but lets not be quick to judge.