PDA

View Full Version : TFC acquire Hassli from Whitecaps

daner90
07-20-2012, 07:15 PM
As per tsn.ca TFC have acquired Eric Hassli from the Whitecaps for a first round pick in 2014 and an international spot in 2013.

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=401086

WOW!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-20-2012, 07:18 PM
gulp...

Richard
07-20-2012, 07:18 PM
He will tear this league up.

Redpunkfiddle
07-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Well- he better play well. I invested a lot of contempt in his whiney attitude.

ag futbol
07-20-2012, 07:25 PM
I think that's a pretty reasonable signing, especially with the player option mirroring out decision time frame on Koevermans.

I'd like to see one defender and one midfielder before the end of the window. That'd be a reasonable conclusion IMO.

eustacchio
07-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Interesting.

Gazza
07-20-2012, 07:28 PM
It's going to be a whiny, arm-flailing fest up front with him and Ryan Johnson. But no denying his talent.

ryan
07-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I hated him for sure. One thing that did stand out to me is that he did seem to play with much pride for the shirt in Vancouver. I do love a player who loves the badge and as bizarre as it'll be to see him in a all red kit, this could be awesome.

SuperTCP
07-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Hopefully this works out for us. Now sign us a strong CB!!!!

Doucet3
07-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Interesting, good trade IMO, only one of our roster spot and a 1st pick which isn't bad, and we still have a roster spot open for Mellberg potentially, or is that now not possible ??, McKenna would still be a solid pick up

Alixir
07-20-2012, 07:37 PM
at least he gets his chance to play in the champions league!

moralis
07-20-2012, 07:37 PM
After Kovermans injury: Mariner talks about having 2 DPS:

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/07/17/paul-mariner-july-17-2012.

Listen to Mariner: Starts at 4:20 to 4:40.

Alixir
07-20-2012, 07:39 PM
McKenna would still be a solid pick up...no, there are far better CBs out there that I would put my money into. I wouldn't sign a guy just because he is Canadian.

denime
07-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Hasli has a sprained ankle and has been in a walking boot for the last few Caps practices,we wont see him play for another 2-3 weeks,and once he is back it will take some time to get game ready.

I think we will have fit and in game form Hasli around September,just on time to make a push for new ST,sorry I meant playoffs.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2012, 07:49 PM
I absolutely love this move.

If you asked me who I would have picked as the ideal replacement for Koevermans, it would have been Eric Hassli. This guy can play like a beast if he's motivated, as we know all too well. I think he will fit in well with our squad, and given the history between TFC and Vancouver, I'm sure he will be eager to impress when he's ready to go.

A calculated risk, but a very bold move by Mariner in response to the devastating injury to Koevs.

Couchy81
07-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Awesome move, I honestly didn't see it coming after the talk of his bad ankle, but am looking forward to seeing what he can do in Red!!! Whitecaps fans seem to be in shock from this.

Nuvinho
07-20-2012, 07:55 PM
We gave up too much - I hate giving up a 1st round pick in 2014.

v00d00daddy
07-20-2012, 07:57 PM
When he's on, he's on. But he disappears for long stretches. And I don't mean long stretches of minutes in a game...I mean long stretches of games at a time.

But he does score some beautiful goals. Like Denime said..I don't think we'll see him for quite some time.

Is he a DP? I know he was signed by Vancouver as a DP so does he come here as one? Not sure how this works

T-boy
07-20-2012, 08:00 PM
If Hassli isn't back until Sept, this is a horrible trade. So I "assume" he will be ready much before then. If he's got a grade 1 sprain he could be back next weekend for sure. If its grade 2 he won't be back for another 2 or 3 weeks - which is too long. I assume TFC have done their homework on his current injury?

Nuvinho
07-20-2012, 08:02 PM
If Hassli isn't back until Sept, this is a horrible trade. So I "assume" he will be ready much before then. If he's got a grade 1 sprain he could be back next weekend for sure. If its grade 2 he won't be back for another 2 or 3 weeks - which is too long. I assume TFC have done their homework on his current injury?

just like they did the homework on Plata's transfer fee. I don't trust them.

ryan
07-20-2012, 08:04 PM
When he's on, he's on. But he disappears for long stretches. And I don't mean long stretches of minutes in a game...I mean long stretches of games at a time.

But he does score some beautiful goals. Like Denime said..I don't think we'll see him for quite some time.

Is he a DP? I know he was signed by Vancouver as a DP so does he come here as one? Not sure how this works

Yes he's a DP.

TOBOR !
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
jokes. what this says to me is the brain trust has run out of ideas.

Nuvinho
07-20-2012, 08:11 PM
1st trade: Sturgis for the 8th pick overall - winner: Vancouver
2nd trade: Dunfield for Aleman - winner: TFC for now (jury still out on Aleman)

tied 1-1:

tiebreaker:
3rd trade: Hassli trade - we will wait to see

v00d00daddy
07-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Yes he's a DP.

So we traded away jdg to gain a dp spot and then turned around and traded a draft pick for another dp?

And the dp we got is another target man and is also injured?

This seems strange to me.

Anybody know how long Hasslis contract is. I had a hard time finding it online.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2012, 08:16 PM
jokes. what this says to me is the brain trust has run out of ideas.

Seriously? You think acquiring a player of Hassli's calibre is a joke?

He's one of the premier target men and great finishers in MLS. He has had issues with his consistency and his temperament on the pitch, but this move is far from a last resort. In fact, my guess is that he would have been one of the first choices as a replacement for Koevs among most TFC supporters.

To each his own I guess.

Nuvinho
07-20-2012, 08:17 PM
^club option after this year.

Pint
07-20-2012, 08:17 PM
So we traded away jdg to gain a dp spot and then turned around and traded a draft pick for another dp?

This season with a team option for next year

TFC07
07-20-2012, 08:18 PM
1st trade: Sturgis for the 8th pick overall - winner: Vancouver
2nd trade: Dunfield for Aleman - winner: TFC for now (jury still out on Aleman)

tied 1-1:

tiebreaker:
3rd trade: Hassli trade - we will wait to see

Who did Vancouver picked with our draft pick?

Canary10
07-20-2012, 08:19 PM
I've always liked Hassli. His injury is a worry, but on the whole I say well done.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2012, 08:19 PM

Hassli should miss no more than a few games, and TFC has a club option on his contract for next season.

Pigfynn
07-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I like this.......IF we have the option to dump his ass aftert this year.

He's obviously out of favour in Vancity.

We'll see I guess. I still think priority one should be the Viking!!!!!!!!

Redcoe15
07-20-2012, 08:22 PM
:eek6:

Gazza
07-20-2012, 08:24 PM
He'll be nice and motivated for the games against Vancouver at least.

Nuvinho
07-20-2012, 08:24 PM

Vancouver picked Michael Nanchoff - players picked after him were CJ Sapong and Will Bruin

v00d00daddy
07-20-2012, 08:26 PM
The club option makes this deal much better to me.

Good trade if results this year matter to you and he comes back sooner than later.

ag futbol
07-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Michael Nanchoff... meh

I really could care less about the short term injury. Important thing is that if we can assess if he fits with the team before the end of the year.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2012, 08:33 PM
If Hassli can play as well for us as he always played against us, this will be a solid move in the short term, and hopefully next season as well.

Canary10
07-20-2012, 08:35 PM
If Hassli can play as well for us as he always played against us, this will be a solid move in the short term, and hopefully next season as well.

I think he'll play well with us. We've been thin at striker even with Koef playing. I think this was priority number 1 and it's a pretty good way to address it. I have a feeling he'll work well with Mariner. His kind of player.

Toronto Funk
07-20-2012, 08:39 PM
When he's on he's got the Eye of the Tiger. I love this move. Who knows, maybe he'll turn into something special like the few TFC players who left us and turned it up.

Change of scenery. Real fans backing him up. Could be a legend in the making! But who am I to talk - I still think we have an outside shot of making it to the dance :)

Bottom line is that he will stick it Vancover every chance he gets and that small victory is good enough for me.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
I think he'll play well with us.

I think so too. Players usually excel in the rare event that they're traded to a bitter rival.

I don't expect him to match Koevermans' offensive output, but he is just as much of a physical presence, he has a great first touch, he can hold up the ball, his distribution is excellent, and he can finish from within an impressive range in the offensive third of the pitch for a man his size.

DangerRed
07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
When uninjured, great player. Carbon copy of Koef, with a bit more of a cannon shot. Should be nice, assuming he stays fit. Better than JDG, in any case, so at least that's positive.

DoubleUp
07-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Overall Hassli is good replacement for koevermans(less finish, more mobility) will work well with our atheletic style, but if he's out to long from the injury then we might have given to much to acquire him.

Overall a step in the righ direction.:scarf:

Carts
07-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Getting my kit named now...

Love the big man hassli...!!!

jazzy
07-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Vancouver picked Michael Nanchoff - players picked after him were CJ Sapong and Will Bruin
Nanchoff..played a good game against us as a sub......very quick and accurate passing ...we missed on that one,..and was very impressed with his class, after a tough loss he made an effort to walk to every tfc player and shake hands ..........classy rookie with a good future

jazzy
07-20-2012, 08:55 PM
only worry with Hassli besides disappearing act......is his temper,...as someone mentioned before he can be a red card in the making......hopefully that energy can be transformed positively

ArmenJBX
07-20-2012, 08:58 PM
I go to see Batman and come back to this amazing news :D
Now I know why someone kept calling me through the movie. Epic-dary stuff :D

Code Red
07-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Hmmm... I'm divided on this news. We're giving up a lot here so Hassli better perform. I hope he'll be putting the ball in the back of the net more often than not otherwise this deal will backfire. Time will tell whether or not this is a good move.

Soccerpro
07-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Good player. However, 1) He hasn't done much this year. 2) What's the point of him signing, while injured, half way through this season with TFC out of playoff contention 3) don't like giving up a draft pick to get him

Money just burns a hole in TFC's pocket.

However, at least they've learned you need DP quality type players up front, not as holding midfielders.

Auzzy
07-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Fingers crossed he's back from injury soon. Hassli hasn't been great this season (and on/off last season), hopefully a change of scenery & Mariner can help him to be a bit more level-headed & consistent. When he's good, he's awesome.

Question, will they still sign a DP CB now? Hopefully. Since Hassli is a club option for next year, this kinda works as a half-year DP spot. By December they can hopefully assess how Danny K is healing & what to do for next season. If they decide to dump Hassli then, they still have his rights & can maybe get something in return. Like maybe a 2014 first-round draft pick... g:D

Still a question what to do for the next few weeks until Hassli is fit again. We may be thin up front for a while. Doubt they can afford another striker now (even Ameritwat) if they still want to sign some defensive help.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Hassli's production was down this season, but he was playing significantly less minutes (primarily in a limited reserve role) for the Shitecaps due to the emergence of Mattocks, and Rennie plays a lone striker up front.

Hopefully, with a change of scenery and a guaranteed starting role, he will return to form in T.O.

Eastend
07-20-2012, 09:14 PM
If he comes back quickly, performs, and helps the team push for a playoff spot, this will be a great move. This could also be viewed as an audition for next year with the team option, no? I think it's a good move and I can't wait to see him in red.

Dom

Cashcleaner
07-20-2012, 09:16 PM
I absolutely love this move.

If you asked me who I would have picked as the ideal replacement for Koevermans, it would have been Eric Hassli. This guy can play like a beast if he's motivated, as we know all too well. I think he will fit in well with our squad, and given the history between TFC and Vancouver, I'm sure he will be eager to impress when he's ready to go.

A calculated risk, but a very bold move by Mariner in response to the devastating injury to Koevs.

Absolutely agreed with everything you've said. I'm going to be completely honest here, but I've never been this excited about a signing since DeRo came from Houston. There is a lot of potential with Hassli and the current team to really kick the offense up a notch.

MG42
07-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Hassli and koevs up top in 2013 lol

[NBF]
07-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Hassli and koevs up top in 2013 lol

What doesnt make sense here is TFC giving up the right to draft a "domestic" player in the draft. Domestic players can be either Canadian or American and if we're not producing enough players through the academy than it only makes sense to pick them up through the draft.

Vancouver have essentially given up a player that is at best worth 2 more years in football and are probably going to pick up a replacement for John Thorrington in the draft. Essentially building their roster with some of the better talent pool available in the draft.

This move is sadly reminiscent of the Nick Garcia trade.

Couchy81
07-20-2012, 09:31 PM
;1514583']What doesnt make sense here is TFC giving up the right to draft a "domestic" player in the draft. Domestic players can be either Canadian or American and if we're not producing enough players through the academy than it only makes sense to pick them up through the draft.

Vancouver have essentially given up a player that is at best worth 2 more years in football and are probably going to pick up a replacement for John Thorrington in the draft. Essentially building their roster with some of the better talent pool available in the draft.

Am I in the minority thinking we have a better chance at adding prospects to our team directly from the TFC Academy rather than the MLS Draft?

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Southsiders board seems pretty split on their opinion of the move - some don't like it, some don't like it but understand it had to happen, and others think it's great.

Hassli was buried on Vancouver's depth chart, and we needed a striker. The trade makes sense. I think the combination of trading an international spot with trading away a draft pick that can be used to get domestic talent, could come back to haunt us, however.

As for Hassli - fingers crossed that a change of scenery gets him scoring again, because he was obscenely streaky in Vancouver, at best.

- Scott

billyfly
07-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Just heard. WHAT THE F*CK?

Cashcleaner
07-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Am I in the minority thinking we have a better chance at adding prospects to our team directly from the TFC Academy rather than the MLS Draft?

Nope. I totally agree with you. Stack the two up and you can see that an acquisition through the Superdraft is much more riskier than one brought up through the Academy.

Thomas
07-20-2012, 09:41 PM
The deal looks OK to me on the surface, but key will be how Hassli fits in with the rest of the team, what his motivational level is and how PM can get the most out of him. Garcia? You've got to be joking.

lobo
07-20-2012, 09:42 PM
""Adding a player of Eric's ability gives an immediate improvement to our club," said Mariner"

ugh, he's injured ... such an MLSE thing to do, trading for injured players - lmao

we can only hope they did their medical due diligence on hassli's injury, cause the injury was only few days ago, not seeing immediate improvement as mariner says but hopefully not september

get well soon eric!

Eastend
07-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Southsiders board seems pretty split on their opinion of the move - some don't like it, some don't like it but understand it had to happen, and others think it's great.

Hassli was buried on Vancouver's depth chart, and we needed a striker. The trade makes sense. I think the combination of trading an international spot with trading away a draft pick that can be used to get domestic talent, could come back to haunt us, however.

As for Hassli - fingers crossed that a change of scenery gets him scoring again, because he was obscenely streaky in Vancouver, at best.

- Scott

I'm not sure how it works exactly but the trade details say Vancouver get the international spot from us only through 2013. Does that mean we get it back for 2014?

Dom

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2012, 09:47 PM
;1514583']What doesnt make sense here is TFC giving up the right to draft a "domestic" player in the draft. Domestic players can be either Canadian or American and if we're not producing enough players through the academy than it only makes sense to pick them up through the draft.

The draft pick is in 2014, so it is (hopefully) less likely to be a top pick than if it was in 2013. The pick may or may not be high enough to draft a quality player that will evolve into a MLS starter. TFC's performance next season will determine the true value of Vancouver's return in this deal.

As for drawing an anology between acquiring Nick Garcia and Eric Hassli, I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but Hassli is younger than Garcia was when Mo acquired him, and I think it's safe to say that Hassli has a much higher ceiling as a player in his respective role.

Pookie
07-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Nope. I totally agree with you. Stack the two up and you can see that an acquisition through the Superdraft is much more riskier than one brought up through the Academy.

Not sure I'd agree with you on that front.

A lot of big names have come through that Superdraft like Brek Shea, Will Bruin, Teal Bunbury, Chris Pontius and others. Notable TFC selections have included Luis Silva (2012), Sam Cronin (2009), Stefan Frei (2009) and Maurice Edu (2007).

Interestingly, like the Leafs, TFC will have only drafted in the first round twice in the 5 drafts (2010-2014). We traded a pick for Adrian Serioux, 1 for Nathan Sturgis and now this one for Hassli.

TOBOR !
07-20-2012, 09:53 PM

He's one of the premier target men and great finishers in MLS. He has had issues with his consistency and his temperament on the pitch, but this move is far from a last resort. In fact, my guess is that he would have been one of the first choices as a replacement for Koevs among most TFC supporters.

To each his own I guess.

That`s the part that troubles me.

He`s gone a bit off the boil lately.

MG42
07-20-2012, 09:54 PM
""Adding a player of Eric's ability gives an immediate improvement to our club," said Mariner"

ugh, he's injured ... such an MLSE thing to do, trading for injured players - lmao

we can only hope they did their medical due diligence on hassli's injury, cause the injury was only few days ago, not seeing immediate improvement as mariner says but hopefully not september

get well soon eric!

Steve Pandher from CSN wrote that Hassli was trainin on the side today and the injury isn't as bad as first thought, you can read it on the comments of the McColl article about the trade

Pookie
07-20-2012, 09:55 PM

- Scott

I think this is the case where this new system of Mariner's is better suited to him.

Mark Weber of "The Province" wrote this a few weeks ago:

Rennie's 4-3-3 system, which defensively looks more like 4-5-1, demands plenty of running up top, and Hassli covers far less ground than Sebastien Le Toux or Mattocks. That's part of the reason why Hassli's seen so few starts

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Whitecaps+Eric+Hassli+keeper+transfer+window+candi date/6881801/story.html#ixzz21DohCKJ4

Giving up a 1st round pick is huge considering this is TFC's only real window into the young talent pool in the USA. It would be a huge price to potentially pay if Hassli becomes a "rental" in a season with little to no hope.

If Hassli ends up staying for just the 14 remaining MLS games and we get beat out of CCL Group Stages, this might be a move that comes back to haunt them. That said, I didn't like when we had to line up against him so if we are going for hoof ball, he is a pretty intimidating guy to hoof it to.

lobo
07-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Steve Pandher from CSN wrote that Hassli was trainin on the side today and the injury isn't as bad as first thought, you can read it on the comments of the McColl article about the trade

encouraging news that is.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2012, 09:58 PM
That`s the part that troubles me.

He`s gone a bit off the boil lately.

True, but word is that he wasn't seeing eye to eye with Rennie, his role had diminished considerably, and he was outwardly upset with some of the latest roster moves that saw the likes of Chiumento and Le Toux jettisoned out of town.

I think he will be reinvigorated playing in the only city that matters in this country. g:D

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2012, 10:03 PM
I think this is the case where this new system of Mariner's is better suited to him.

Mark Weber of "The Province" wrote this a few weeks ago:

Rennie's 4-3-3 system, which defensively looks more like 4-5-1, demands plenty of running up top, and Hassli covers far less ground than Sebastien Le Toux or Mattocks. That's part of the reason why Hassli's seen so few starts

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Whitecaps+Eric+Hassli+keeper+transfer+window+candi date/6881801/story.html#ixzz21DohCKJ4

Giving up a 1st round pick is huge considering this is TFC's only real window into the young talent pool in the USA. It would be a huge price to potentially pay if Hassli becomes a "rental" in a season with little to no hope.

If Hassli ends up staying for just the 14 remaining MLS games and we get beat out of CCL Group Stages, this might be a move that comes back to haunt them. That said, I didn't like when we had to line up against him so if we are going for hoof ball, he is a pretty intimidating guy to hoof it to.
I think by 2014 the pick will be further down the board than it would be after 2012 and by 2014 I think the Academy should be pumping out more MLS ready products than the NCAA.

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2012, 10:05 PM
I think he will be reinvigorated playing in the only city that matters in this country. g:D
I very much like this quote.

Pookie
07-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I think by 2014 the pick will be further down the board than it would be after 2012 and by 2014 I think the Academy should be pumping out more MLS ready products than the NCAA.

I like your optimism. I think you need to take a look at what is really going on at the Academy but I like your optimism.

TFCRegina
07-20-2012, 10:11 PM
I think it's a good move if he can stay healthy

Doucet3
07-20-2012, 10:16 PM
...no, there are far better CBs out there that I would put my money into. I wouldn't sign a guy just because he is Canadian.

Mpg course there is but would they want to play here, can we afford them, and I said nothing about signing a guy just cause he's Canadian, that's just an added bonus, but as of right now it seems the more likley chance

Pookie
07-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Good move for remainder of season? Or through 2013?

Chevy
07-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Have we set another MLS record by having 4 DP's (with another possibly to come) during one season?

OgtheDim
07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
The Star article tonight indicated Mariner believes our back 4 is fine and just needs some subs - i.e. we won't be getting a CD DP.

KRO
07-20-2012, 10:25 PM

Give me a break. We're going to win the MLS Cup in 2014 and the 1st round pick will be worth nothing.

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2012, 10:28 PM
I like your optimism. I think you need to take a look at what is really going on at the Academy but I like your optimism.
I think you may need to take a look at what's coming out of the NCAA and compare it to what you can get at no cap hit from your own academy.

Also Hassli was training with the squad (Van) the past few days. He'll be back soon.

khso11
07-20-2012, 10:29 PM
I think his skills is class, but not his attitude, i use to hate him everytime he comes to Toronto, but now, let see what he can give us!!! Excited to see him on the pitch, hope he will heal up soon!

Nuvinho
07-20-2012, 10:33 PM
I think you may need to take a look at what's coming out of the NCAA and compare it to what you can get at no cap hit from your own academy.

Also Hassli was training with the squad (Van) the past few days. He'll be back soon.

NCAA players under GA contracts have no cap hit as well.

Nuvinho
07-20-2012, 10:34 PM
did we also give up the rights to Jacob Lensky in the deal with Vancouver?

moralis
07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Where did you read that: Mariner does not say that he is not looking for a top class centre back

Here's the two articles

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/1229963--toronto-fc-acquires-french-striker-eric-hassli-from-vancouver-whitecaps

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/1229877--liverpool-stars-out-for-toronto-fc-match

Please tell us where he says that?

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
I think you may need to take a look at what's coming out of the NCAA and compare it to what you can get at no cap hit from your own academy..

Our academy has produced one good young MLS player so far. The NCAA has produced exponentially more.

I'm with Pookie on this one - I like your optimism, but there's no indication yet, that our academy is somehow ready to shoulder the load to the point where we can throw away draft picks.

- Scott

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Yeah but we just picked up one of them for JDG and all I've read all week is how much of a piece of shit he is, so what does that tell you about Gen Adidas?

Pookie
07-20-2012, 10:45 PM

Was just going to say that. Further, as in promising players like Kevan Aleman, getting them to sign with TFC is and will be a challenge.

It's a US league. 3 Canadians, 8 Internationals and 19 roster spots that can be made up of US or Canadian players. Like it or not, you have to get your Yankees somewhere. Considering some of the recent names to come out of 1st round of the MLS Superdraft in the last three drafts (eg. Omar Gonzales, Chris Pontius, Sam Cronin, Stefan Frei, Teal Bunbury) it is absolutely silly to ignore it.

Again, Hassli can likely excel in Mariner's system. If he stays through 2013 and we can get in the playoffs, it will be great. If we've sacrificed a future draft pick in exchange for an aging veteran that will produce no results... welcome to Leaf Nation.

Pookie
07-20-2012, 10:47 PM
did we also give up the rights to Jacob Lensky in the deal with Vancouver?

According to Duane Rollins on twitter we did

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2270520845/xgeot21d81gxg3irclht_normal.jpegDuane Rollins ‏@24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute)
Correction on the Jacob Lensky rumour: Now hearing that #TFC (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23TFC)traded his rights *TO* #WhitecapsFC (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23WhitecapsFC).

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2012, 10:49 PM
NCAA may have been around a bit longer than our academy. I think we rushed out some of our players. Henry is ready, Lindsay was, Stinson is there and the rest are close at best but still, it's less of a crap shoot as you've seen what the players can do, in a system you design, in full CSL seasons. And for the NCAA, didn't we take the can't miss O'Brien White early in the first round? Not exactly all gold is it?

Nuvinho
07-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah but we just picked up one of them for JDG and all I've read all week is how much of a piece of shit he is, so what does that tell you about Gen Adidas?

some other GA/Nike players:
Tim Howard (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Tim_Howard), Landon Donovan (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Landon_Donovan), Josh Wolff (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Josh_Wolff), DaMarcus Beasley (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/DaMarcus_Beasley), Maurice Edu (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Maurice_Edu), Yura Movsisyan (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Yura_Movsisyan), Carlos Bocanegra (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Carlos_Bocanegra), Clint Dempsey (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Clint_Dempsey), Jozy Altidore (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Jozy_Altidore), Ben Olsen (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Ben_Olsen), Bobby Convey (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Bobby_Convey), Bakary Soumare (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Bakary_Soumare), Sacha Kljestan (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Sacha_Kljestan), Michael Parkhurst (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Michael_Parkhurst), Danny Califf (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Danny_Califf), Freddy Adu (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Freddy_Adu), Davide Somma (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Davide_Somma), Danny Mwanga (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Danny_Mwanga), Brad Guzan (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Brad_Guzan) and Michael Bradley (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Michael_Bradley_(soccer)).

I think those guys did well in the league and abroad. Some of the recent GA players - Frei, Alston, Gonzalez, Bunbury, Bruin, Maddocks, Wenger, Rowe - all have which have been an impact on their respective teams.

Not saying that all NCAA players pan out, but for now NCAA is still a better option, until our academy develops, which will take a few years.

Nuvinho
07-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Another thing about academy players, do they want to sign for TFC or rather go to college in the US? I know one academy product that got offered a contract from TFC , but decided to go to Akron instead.

Donald Duck
07-20-2012, 10:58 PM
one of my favour players in MLS is Hassli. I like his playing style... play with HEART.... Out of all FWs in TFC history, I only think Dichio and Koevermans are the only 2 FWs that play with heart and give out 120% every game. I honestly think this Hassli will bring TFC into playoff this year. we are only 12 pts behind which we still have half of the season to catch up. We are good enough in the backline as long as no injury.

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2012, 10:59 PM
some other GA/Nike players:
Tim Howard (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Tim_Howard), Landon Donovan (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Landon_Donovan), Josh Wolff (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Josh_Wolff), DaMarcus Beasley (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/DaMarcus_Beasley), Maurice Edu (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Maurice_Edu), Yura Movsisyan (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Yura_Movsisyan), Carlos Bocanegra (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Carlos_Bocanegra), Clint Dempsey (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Clint_Dempsey), Jozy Altidore (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Jozy_Altidore), Ben Olsen (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Ben_Olsen), Bobby Convey (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Bobby_Convey), Bakary Soumare (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Bakary_Soumare), Sacha Kljestan (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Sacha_Kljestan), Michael Parkhurst (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Michael_Parkhurst), Danny Califf (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Danny_Califf), Freddy Adu (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Freddy_Adu), Davide Somma (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Davide_Somma), Danny Mwanga (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Danny_Mwanga), Brad Guzan (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Brad_Guzan) and Michael Bradley (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Michael_Bradley_(soccer)).

I think those guys did well in the league and abroad. Some of the recent GA players - Frei, Alston, Gonzalez, Bunbury, Bruin, Maddocks, Wenger, Rowe - all have which have been an impact on their respective teams.

Not saying that all NCAA players pan out, but for now NCAA is still a better option, until our academy develops, which will take a few years.
Point is, at the time of their drafting no one would've known they'd pan out ad they did. There has been 172 GA players so far and boo that list. Lots of busts in there.

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Point is, at the time of their drafting no one would've known they'd pan out ad they did. There has been 172 GA players so far and boo that list. Lots of busts in there.
And Abdus Ibrahim was one too so that shows there is plenty of shit in the GA pool.

Pookie
07-20-2012, 11:02 PM
NCAA may have been around a bit longer than our academy. I think we rushed out some of our players. Henry is ready, Lindsay was, Stinson is there and the rest are close at best but still, it's less of a crap shoot as you've seen what the players can do, in a system you design, in full CSL seasons. And for the NCAA, didn't we take the can't miss O'Brien White early in the first round? Not exactly all gold is it?

I am fully behind an Academy development model. 10 months of the year, higher ratio of training to games, no promo and relegation, no standings for parents, start 'em as early as 8. All good.

NCAA isn't guaranteed but it isn't crap. Whoop posted a great set of links to the future of US soccer and this one spoke to the College game:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/32094/the-future-of-u-s-soccer-the-college-game

9 men on the USMNT came the NCAA route.

MLS Academies are full of hype and unrealized potential. Interestingly, ours is developing players to fit a mold that Mariner has abandoned and stepped further away from in bringing in Hassli (who couldn't play Vancouver's 4-3-3). The players you mention, aside from Morgan could easily be replaced or bettered by a player coming from the US system. Of course, I can't back that up and you can't challenge it because we don't scout there and haven't drafted in the first round in 2010 and 2011 in order to bring them in.

In fact, in 2010 there were 4 rounds and we walked away with 2 picks. (trading the 1st rounder for Adrian Serioux and the 3rd rounder for Nick Garcia and the rights to Ali Gerba).

Nuvinho
07-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Even if we do develop these players through the academy, they still go to NCAA. I can't remember the striker we had in our academy team last year or the year before, but he went to NCAA.

This year we are losing Omari Morris and Jay Chapman.

Omari's going to Akron, can't blame the guy - going to an established program.

Stryker
07-20-2012, 11:46 PM
I think this is a very good trade. Having Hassli will at least give us a fighting chance in CCL and Improve our very small chance of making the playoffs.
Obviously there was no chance of us getting Del Piero or theres no way the FO would have let the Hassli deal go through. With a week left before the trade deadline Mariner probley had next to nothing happening on the striker front so this deal made sense.
The fact that next year is our option is what really clinches this deal for me. Well done Mariner.

Shakes McQueen
07-21-2012, 12:21 AM

Not all gold, no. But the NCAA draft still produces far, far more MLS regulars than any academy has. Every draft in every sport has it's share of busts.

I'm hopeful that one day club academies can supplant the NCAA draft as the primary means of creating new MLS players, but we aren't even close to being there yet.

- Scott

razor787
07-21-2012, 01:12 AM

I agree. According to Mariner, we have gotten a DP spot and some of the money back. Hassli is the cheap fix, for shortsighted success. Our front office decided it was a better idea to get a quick fix DP (who may be gone at the end of this season, if Koev returns next year), giving up a vital buildingblock, than to sign a non-dp striker that can get us by until Koev returns.

He is helping us do well in a season that means nothing. After the horrible start, this season should be taken as next years preseason. Building for the next season, and the seasons after that. Losing a first round pick for an old, out of favor DP leaves us taking the crappy end of the deal. The way Vancouver is building actually makes me jealous. If they have good enough young talent to knock their DP out of favor (who seems to be a pretty good DP) then they are doing something right. And to get a first rounder out of the deal just means that they get another great young talent who could be a key player in a couple seasons.

Auzzy
07-21-2012, 01:12 AM
So I'm just imagining: Hassli does well and TFC somehow manages to keep him for next year. Hassli scores the goals that puts TFC past the Whitecaps in the Voyageur's Cup. Perhaps with one of those goals assisted by Dunfield. Perhaps Hassli even uses his hand a bit in setting up one of those goals but the ref doesn't notice.

Can you imagine the scale of the meltdown by the Whitecaps fans? :D :D

jloome
07-21-2012, 01:18 AM
So I'm just imagining: Hassli does well and TFC somehow manages to keep him for next year. Hassli scores the goals that puts TFC past the Whitecaps in the Voyageur's Cup. Perhaps with one of those goals assisted by Dunfield. Perhaps Hassli even uses his hand a bit in setting up one of those goals but the ref doesn't notice.

When Chiumento left and Hassli lamented it on mlssoccer.com, I thought the "ankle injury" sounded awfully like, "I'm not playing for this bastard anymore, trade me right fucking now."

Then I thought, "With Koevermans out, I wonder if TFC...." Then i thought, 'Naaaah, Hassli won't come here."

To whoever compared this to Nick Garcia: That's like comparing a Cadillac to a rebuilt Trabant. Sweet Jesus, where do people come up with this stuff?

Hassli is one of the best strikers in the league. Rennie didn't like Petulant Frenchmen and traded away Le toux and Hassli. I get that Mattocks is a freak of nature, but I don't think Vancouver's going to look back fondly on this.

BayernTFC
07-21-2012, 01:34 AM
To whoever compared this to Nick Garcia: That's like comparing a Cadillac to a rebuilt Trabant. Sweet Jesus, where do people come up with this stuff?

lol. Even a strict comparison between a Cadillac and a rebuilt Trabant isn't apt. Unless you add that TFC was stuck with the Trabant until it died before being able to replace it with another car. Eric Hassli's contract ends before next year's summer transfer window opens:

contract expiration30.06.13
http://www.prosoccer.ch/movies/players/hassli-eric

Others in this thread have stated that the contract has a team option at the end of the 2012 MLS season as well:

^club option after this year.

The club option makes this deal much better to me.

Yohan
07-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Was just going to say that. Further, as in promising players like Kevan Aleman, getting them to sign with TFC is and will be a challenge.

It's a US league. 3 Canadians, 8 Internationals and 19 roster spots that can be made up of US or Canadian players. Like it or not, you have to get your Yankees somewhere. Considering some of the recent names to come out of 1st round of the MLS Superdraft in the last three drafts (eg. Omar Gonzales, Chris Pontius, Sam Cronin, Stefan Frei, Teal Bunbury) it is absolutely silly to ignore it.

Again, Hassli can likely excel in Mariner's system. If he stays through 2013 and we can get in the playoffs, it will be great. If we've sacrificed a future draft pick in exchange for an aging veteran that will produce no results... welcome to Leaf Nation.

After few Hassli wonder strikes, I'm sure you'd change your tune ;)

It is a gamble, but I think it's a low risk, potentially high pay off gamble.

The 1st rounder is in 2014. I think Mariner for sure has playoffs by end of next season. Or else he'd be fired anyways, so he takes a risk with this trade hoping that Hassli pays big. If TFC does make the playoffs, that first rounder will end up being somewhere around 10-14th pick, and after first 10 picks, the draft becomes more of a crap shoot anyways.

The worst case is that Hassli turns out to be more inconsistent finisher than Chad Barrett with Cunningham's whinyness and Kevin Harse's temper. If this is the case, then TFC release Hassli at the end of the season and goes shopping for a new player with the 350k cap space. Or players.

The good case is that Hassli does well enough, and TFC now has a choice at the end of season whether to keep younger Hassli as DP and buys out Danny K, or even keep Danny K and hope that he can regain his fitness despite his age. Either way, TFC has options to decide which way they want to go.

The best case is Hassli scores like ten goals and TFC makes the playoffs despite the odds and Eric the Red leads TFC to MLS Cup victory, while bombing MLS with wonder goals like confetti. :D

I think Hassli is motivated to prove that he's not junk. Yes, his strike rate is that of Chad Barrett right now (1 goal every 4 games ish) but I honestly think he's got the tools to be a good MLS striker. Rennie's 4-3-3/4-5-1 clearly does not fit Hassli (though even with limited mins, he's got 2 goals 3 assists) and last year he played for inept Teitur Tots and that retarded sock puppet Tommy Soehn, even though they played 4-4-2. I think Hassli can fit well under Mariner's 4-4-2 which is almost customed to Hassli's game. He does tend to score in bunches, but I think a motivator like Mariner can get the best out of Hassli, who on his best games will rip any defender in MLS apart. Find him and his horse raising Yankee wife a farm on the outskirts of Toronto and he'd be happy enough.

I also like that he's got great relationship with supporters, and is the kind of guy who'd do well in TFC locker room.

Anything to throw more shit on Southsiders face. They are more annoying than Crew supporters.

Eric the Red. Potential TFC legend. Belive it! ;)

Super
07-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Based on this interview I think Hassli may become a HUGE fan favourite (meaning: he appreciates supporters)!

wwINwoo_LBQ

BayernTFC
07-21-2012, 02:03 AM

Was the injury news on Hassli just a way to reduce the expectations of Whitecaps fans or soften the blow of losing a player like Eric? Maybe it was a way to insure Eric wouldn't get injured while discussions were ongoing?:

Was Shea’s breakdown a choreographed attempt to hasten his departure from FC Dallas, or was it just a 22-year-old kid losing his cool as he watched his coach pull him out of a match the team was losing?
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/fc-dallas-brek-shea-losing-rising-star-status-week-20-mls-preview-071912

Sometimes things in MLS have a staged feel to them.

BayernTFC
07-21-2012, 02:24 AM
I like what Eric Hassli brings and, overall, I'm fine with the deal. I'm a little disappointed that Paul Mariner couldn't have gotten the better of Martin Rennie and offered less for a player clearly out of favour. I still think a first-round MLS SuperDraft pick is a valuable asset and an international spot through 2013 is significant. TFC didn't receive that much in return for our surplus DP. However, there is this to consider:

Hassli is one of the best strikers in the league. Rennie didn't like Petulant Frenchmen and traded away Le toux and Hassli. I get that Mattocks is a freak of nature, but I don't think Vancouver's going to look back fondly on this.

I would have preferred to see Mariner reduce the logjam in our backfield, instead of sacrificing a draft pick and an international spot, but there is still time:

(D) TRADES
Players, SuperDraft and Supplemental draft picks, allocation money, allocation rankings, and international player slots may all be exchanged in trades approved by the MLS League Office, provided all of the necessary rules regarding roster and salary budget compliance are met and the trade is completed during a valid trading period. No trades may occur after the Roster Freeze Deadline of September 15, 2012 at 5 p.m. ET.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

Can Mariner move some of the MLS talent on TFC's roster and get back a draft pick and/or an international spot? The international summer transfer window is closing soon, but the MLS Roster Freeze Deadline is on September 15, 2012 at 5 p.m. ET.

Yohan
07-21-2012, 02:42 AM
I like what Eric Hassli brings and, overall, I'm fine with the deal. I'm a little disappointed that Paul Mariner couldn't have gotten the better of Martin Rennie and offered less for a player clearly out of favour. I still think a first-round MLS SuperDraft pick is a valuable asset and an international spot through 2013 is significant. TFC didn't receive that much in return for our surplus DP. However, there is this to consider:

I would have preferred to see Mariner reduce the logjam in our backfield, instead of sacrificing a draft pick and an international spot, but there is still time:

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

Can Mariner move some of the MLS talent on TFC's roster and get back a draft pick and/or an international spot? The international summer transfer window is closing soon, but the MLS Roster Freeze Deadline is on September 15, 2012 at 5 p.m. ET.
Essentially Mariner traded JDG and 1st rd pick 2014 for Hassli and Wiedeman. I think he's done well to find someone to take JDG in the first place. Mariner might have gotten Hassli for less before Koevermans got injured, but Rennie had more leverage once it was revealed that Koevermans had season ending injury.

Why would Vancouver take one of TFC's reserve defenders? Who in right mind would? lol. Not all MLS managers/GMs are retards lol

CSO_BBTB
07-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Not sure what to make of this. The two explanations are that they are so desparate to have a respectable finish to the season for season ticket sales reasons that they are willing to sacrifice the future for that short term objective or Koevermans injury is so bad that they think his career is probably over.

BayernTFC
07-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Essentially Mariner traded JDG and 1st rd pick 2014 + an international roster spot through 2013 for Hassli and Wiedeman.
fixed:

The Whitecaps traded Eric Hassli, the 31-year-old French striker, to Toronto on Friday afternoon, in exchange for a first-round pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft and an international spot through 2013.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whitecaps+trade+Eric+Hassli+Toronto/6967436/story.html

It breaks down to being pretty much that, I agree.

I think he's done well to find someone to take JDG in the first place. Mariner might have gotten Hassli for less before Koevermans got injured, but Rennie had more leverage once it was revealed that Koevermans had season ending injury.
Overall, I like both deals. You make a good point about Danny's injury making things more difficult for Mariner.

Why would Vancouver take one of TFC's reserve defenders? Who in right mind would? lol. Not all MLS managers/GMs are retards lol
lol. That's a good point. I was hoping that if one of our young, inexpensive defenders is going to struggle to get time here(perhaps not be in TFC's future), then Mariner might have been able to protect an asset. Perhaps he could have saved offering the international spot? Logan Emory, Dicoy Williams and Aaron Mound are younger players who don't cost much. If any other defenders come in, who will make room? it's not likely TFC can move Ty Harden or Adrian Cann, and neither is seeing any minutes right now anyways.

Shakes McQueen
07-21-2012, 04:47 AM
The more I've mulled this deal, the more I like it. We don't give up our first rounder this year, which is likely to be a high pick, and if Hassli makes us a better team next year, then the pick will be a low one for Vancouver in 2014. And as the MLS draft can be a bit of a crapshoot past the top 3-4 players every year, it'll sting a lot less if it's a low pick.

So we trade the pick away in that situation, for a guy who fills a need, and who undoubtedly has a high ceiling as a player, when all of his pistons are firing. It makes a lot of sense from our end.

If anything, Vancouver might have given him up kind of cheaply. Though there's some theorizing that this move is a precursor to another big move from Vancouver, for a DP (possibly Bocanegra). If that's the case, then it's a win-win deal for both teams.

- Scott

BayernTFC
07-21-2012, 05:17 AM
The more I've mulled this deal, the more I like it. We don't give up our first rounder this year, which is likely to be a high pick, and if Hassli makes us a better team next year, then the pick will be a low one for Vancouver in 2014. And as the MLS draft can be a bit of a crapshoot past the top 3-4 players every year, it'll sting a lot less if it's a low pick.
The added significance of the pick being from the 2014 draft is that there is quite some time available to trade for a replacement pick. It is MLS, and there are more ways to make a trade than just for players. Let's see if Mariner can score some allocation, draft picks or international spots for TFC. If TFC doesn't plan to use their allocation ranking, perhaps they can get something for it?

So we trade the pick away in that situation, for a guy who fills a need, and who undoubtedly has a high ceiling as a player, when all of his pistons are firing. It makes a lot of sense from our end.
Plus, he already has MLS experience. VWFC spent the time to break him in, so it's a move that should theoretically require less adjustment from a player perspective.

If anything, Vancouver might have given him up kind of cheaply. Though there's some theorizing that this move is a precursor to another big move from Vancouver, for a DP (possibly Bocanegra). If that's the case, then it's a win-win deal for both teams.

- Scott
I'm hearing some grumbling coming out of Vancouver over the timing of the Kenny Miller signing and the Eric Hassli trade, and whether VWFC will get charged a "luxury tax" by MLS for having 3 DPs at one point. I'd be interested to hear what the final word on that is.

Nuvinho
07-21-2012, 06:40 AM
TFC has the team option year on Hassli, but I just hope he wants to be here past this year. On twitter, there were some talk that he just bought a house for his wife in Vancouver, his best friend was transferred out of Vancouver, etc.

I hope he enjoys playing for TFC, the fans will surely enjoy his effort.

Dub Narcotic
07-21-2012, 06:42 AM

To each his own I guess.

In which bizarro MLS is this true? He's never had a great goal-scoring record in MLS, got benched in both years he played with the Whitecaps and for every highlight-reel goal there were three games where he did not score, hold up the ball, make good runs or work hard. TFC obviously needs someone to play up front, but hopefully they don't lose out on a longer-term solution at CB because of the lost DP and international slot. Not to mention that the three first-round draft picks this year for the Canadian teams were Silva, Mattocks and Wegner, three pretty good looking players that show that those picks are not just throw-ins.

Pookie
07-21-2012, 06:51 AM

- Scott

I would offer that if you are Mariner, you make the deal. Hassli should fit in well with his system and we definitely need a striker.

However, there are a couple of scenarios where the price of this deal becomes incredibly high.

1) Koevermans returns in 2013, ready to go. While a healthy Hassli-Koevermans duo sounds terrific, is it the best of the DP slot when our CB position is still likely not solidified? If Hassli does not return for the 2013 season, this is an expensive price to pay for a "fan favourite" in a season with no tangible results other than making fans somewhat happier

2) Early start to Mariner's coaching career aside, in going with Hassli through 2013 who fell out of favour for not being able to press high in Vancouver's 4-3-3, you have essentially set the course for 2013. Any talk of Mariner being able to adapt and alter his system is now just that, talk. As other teams implement and improve upon their 4-3-3 styles, what you see is what you get with TFC. A "look for forwards first" system that will be built around a then 32 year old and possibly a 34 year old coming off ACL survey.

The chips are now "all in", let's hope he has the cards.

Pookie
07-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Essentially Mariner traded JDG and 1st rd pick 2014 for Hassli and Wiedeman. I think he's done well to find someone to take JDG in the first place. Mariner might have gotten Hassli for less before Koevermans got injured, but Rennie had more leverage once it was revealed that Koevermans had season ending injury.

If that pick turns out to be an Omar Gonzales? Chris Pontius? Shea? Anyways, we can revisit that one down the road.

Question though, if this season is really moot and playoffs aren't expected... why does Mariner need a striker THIS year?

denime
07-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Not sure what to make of this. The two explanations are that they are so desparate to have a respectable finish to the season for season ticket sales reasons that they are willing to sacrifice the future for that short term objective or Koevermans injury is so bad that they think his career is probably over.

I think it's both,they are desperate for ST renewals and Koef is probably not coming back after ACL injury at the age of 34 .

Rene Kingsriver
07-21-2012, 06:57 AM
In which bizarro MLS is this true? He's never had a great goal-scoring record in MLS, got benched in both years he played with the Whitecaps and for every highlight-reel goal there were three games where he did not score, hold up the ball, make good runs or work hard. TFC obviously needs someone to play up front, but hopefully they don't lose out on a longer-term solution at CB because of the lost DP and international slot. Not to mention that the three first-round draft picks this year for the Canadian teams were Silva, Mattocks and Wegner, three pretty good looking players that show that those picks are not just throw-ins.

Those players were picked 4,2 and 1 respectively, I believe we've given away a 2014 pick, if that's going to be in the top four then I sure as hell ain't renewing for 2013

denime
07-21-2012, 07:09 AM

This is the problem that we already talked about,our academy system is set up for 433 formation and now it's obvious Mariner will stick to his 442,our academy players will have a difficult times to get into 1st team.

The exceptional talented academy players like Aleman will opt out and go oversees before they sign with TFC/MLS,good once will have a chance to choose between TFC/MLS $40K per year or get education and further development in the system they already know(4-3-3)with NCAA scholarship that at Boston University is around $55K(that's the reason why K.Becker did not come to TFC,we offered him less than his annual scholarship was worth) and still have a chance to go MLS trough the draft.

Time will tell,I would not put big hopes on our academy boys now,even T,Rongen said, it will take 5 years to see 1st results from TFC academy,until than is all hit and miss.

pekduck
07-21-2012, 07:34 AM
If that pick turns out to be an Omar Gonzales? Chris Pontius? Shea? Anyways, we can revisit that one down the road.

Question though, if this season is really moot and playoffs aren't expected... why does Mariner need a striker THIS year?

Season tickets renewals

Ultra & Proud
07-21-2012, 07:35 AM
This is the problem that we already talked about,our academy system is set up for 433 formation and now it's obvious Mariner will stick to his 442,our academy players will have a difficult times to get into 1st team.

The exceptional talented academy players like Aleman will opt out and go oversees before they sign with TFC/MLS,good once will have a chance to choose between TFC/MLS $40K per year or get education and further development in the system they already know(4-3-3)with NCAA scholarship that at Boston University is around $55K(that's the reason why K.Becker did not come to TFC,we offered him less than his annual scholarship was worth) and still have a chance to go MLS trough the draft.

Time will tell,I would not put big hopes on our academy boys now,even T,Rongen said, it will take 5 years to see 1st results from TFC academy,until than is all hit and miss.
I just don't get how some people think formation decides everything. Formation means nothing. You really think all our academy players will say 'Oops, that's a 4-4-2 on the 1st squad. I can't play that. I'll have to search out the B leagues of Europe to find another 4-3-3 team'. As mentioned by others KC & Van switched to a 4-3-3 just like we did under Cummins and it makes little difference. The tactics will but not the formation.

And for our academy, it's not knowing a formation that matters, it's technical ability, knowledge, and passing accuracy that will matter and that's what most MLS and even more NCAA players don't have. That is what will start to change our squad when the academy grads mature. Plus, hopefully, it will help the CMNT.

denime
07-21-2012, 07:42 AM
I just don't get how some people think formation decides everything. Formation means nothing. You really think all our academy players will say 'Oops, that's a 4-4-2 on the 1st squad. I can't play that. I'll have to search out the B leagues of Europe to find another 4-3-3 team'. As mentioned by others KC & Van switched to a 4-3-3 just like we did under Cummins and it makes little difference. The tactics will but not the formation.

And for our academy, it's not knowing a formation that matters, it's technical ability, knowledge, and passing accuracy that will matter and that's what most MLS and even more NCAA players don't have. That is what will start to change our squad when the academy grads mature. Plus, hopefully, it will help the CMNT.

Let's stay away from this matter,this thread is about Hasli signing with TFC and not our academy or system,I don't want this thread to get hijacked like so many others in the past.

We can carry on in some other threads or PM's.

Thanks for understanding.

v00d00daddy
07-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Like I've said...I like the deal because there is a lot of control in TFC's hands when it comes to Hassli.

But I'm pretty confused about some people's take on the draft pick.

People seem to be happy that the pick is not the 2013 first rounder because, I assume, they don't want to give up a high pick considering we're going to finish low this year. Some people are happy that it's a 2014 pick instead because Hassli is going to make us better and we shouldn't be picking very high in 2014.

That all makes sense to me.

But why would anyone be happy that it's not the 2013 pick (because they wanna pick high in the super draft this year) and still be happy that Hassli can help us this year? Are we looking to continue to climb the table this year? If so, why?

Are we happy that the trade is not going to cost us a high pick (which it may if Hassli helps us this year) or are we happy that we got a replacement for Koevermans this year that will continue to keep us "competitive"?

Which is it? Because we can't have both.

LOL

OgtheDim
07-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Where did you read that: Mariner does not say that he is not looking for a top class centre back

Here's the two articles

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/1229963--toronto-fc-acquires-french-striker-eric-hassli-from-vancouver-whitecaps

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/1229877--liverpool-stars-out-for-toronto-fc-match

Please tell us where he says that?

Here ya go..

"I’m not going to say we’re light at the back because the back four have been absolutely spectacular,” he told reporters. “But you do need a couple of players in to give them some rest.”

Walms
07-21-2012, 08:20 AM
It's going to take a lot for me to ever cheer for this guy.

This singing just highlights how massave of a blow lossing Kovs was.... Now we got the Shitcaps cry baby to deal with. I hope he dose well but he will never replace Kovs in my heart!

narduch
07-21-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm happy with this trade. I think we now have a fighting chance in the CCL (although Santos is still the heavy favourites). Don't think we are making the playoffs, but I'm sure wins will help renewals. I bet the recent string of wins has already changed a number of minds that were certain at 0-9 to not renew. TFC wants to keep the momentum going.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if TFC extends Hassli's contract in the off season.

Amadao Geuvara was a massive douche too before he joined TFC, and fans had no trouble getting behind him. I see no issue cheering on Hassli as a TFC player.

Pookie
07-21-2012, 08:24 AM

I think I can answer this and demine's request to keep it on topic at the same time.

The reason it matters is the very reason that Hassli was made available. The system dictates the type of players you bring in.

Said Mark Webber of the Province:

Rennie's 4-3-3 system, which defensively looks more like 4-5-1, demands plenty of running up top, and Hassli covers far less ground than Sebastien Le Toux or Mattocks. That's part of the reason why Hassli's seen so few starts.
Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Whitecaps+Eric+Hassli+keeper+transfer+window+candi date/6881801/story.html#ixzz21GMZW3NG

If your goal is forward first in thinking, or long ball, you need big boots at the back and big targets up front. You don't look for skilled short passers or quick forwards that can press high. You need big target men such as Hassli. You don't need smaller, quick forwards like Plata.

Given the DP investment in Hassli and the high price of a draft pick, the system is now set through 2013 and Mariner will promote, seek and sign players that can support his system. It's not necessarily a bad thing if you think "Forward First" thinking can beat Total Football over the long term. He's doing it his way and I hope when the next 14 games are complete and CCL group stage is done, Mariner will be vindicated.

Over the long term though, I don't happen to be one of those that think this system will result in a Championship.

ensco
07-21-2012, 08:42 AM
I think this trade is impossible to evaluate until we see where we finish in 2013, but a couple of statements can be made:

- Hassli is a really nice player. I think I would have traded Koevs for him, and face it, we may never see Koevs again. Strikers are streaky, that's fine.
- Last place teams trading future number one picks is a recipe for disaster.
- It is disconcerting to have to spend potential valuable draft picks on DPs. That seems damned weird to me.

I like the trade less this morning than I did when I first heard it.

pekduck
07-21-2012, 08:51 AM
I think this trade is impossible to evaluate until we see where we finish in 2013, but a couple of statements can be made:

- Hassli is a really nice player. I think I would have traded Koevs for him, and face it, we may never see Koevs again. Strikers are streaky, that's fine.
- It is disconcerting to have to spend potential valuable draft picks on DPs. That seems damned weird to me.

In other words, Hassli is a good trade, we just overpaid for it, as it appears at the moment. I agree on the future number one picks. The only way to balance the scale is to finish better when season ends so the bona fide first pick overall is rather 5th or 6th.

Pookie
07-21-2012, 09:02 AM
In other words, Hassli is a good trade, we just overpaid for it, as it appears at the moment. I agree on the future number one picks.

Not just #1 picks

In 2010, the pick we traded for Serioux turned into Zach Loyd, a defender with 71 appearances for FC Dallas and a Cap to the USMNT in his 2+ seasons. He is 25 years old today.

Serioux played 26 games for us before We traded him to Houston, for a 3rd round pick

pekduck
07-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Not just #1 picks

In 2010, the pick we traded for Serioux turned into Zach Loyd, a defender with 71 appearances for FC Dallas and a Cap to the USMNT in his 2+ seasons. He is 25 years old today.

Serioux played 26 games for us before We traded him to Houston, for a 3rd round pick

did we just turned into Toronto Maple Leafs? wait... never mind....

Canary10
07-21-2012, 09:07 AM
We've been playing all year with only one legitmate central striker in the entire team. Mariner comes in, and we move to a 2 striker system, still without a second strker. Koef gets hurt, and we're now playing with no real central strikers in a 2 striker system. Whatever your thinking on short v. long-term, no team can play without a legitimate striker for half a season (especially in a 2 striker system). It was a no brainer that a striker was the priority, and if you can get a top one in the league, why not? It's a great move in my view.

I wonder about the Southsiders thinking Boca is coming to them. Would he not have to go through allocation first? And is Vancouver not at the bottom of the allocation list now? I thought NE and then us is the order now?

denime
07-21-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm happy with this trade. I think we now have a fighting chance in the CCL (although Santos is still the heavy favourites). Don't think we are making the playoffs, but I'm sure wins will help renewals. I bet the recent string of wins has already changed a number of minds that were certain at 0-9 to not renew. TFC wants to keep the momentum going.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if TFC extends Hassli's contract in the off season.

Amadao Geuvara was a massive douche too before he joined TFC, and fans had no trouble getting behind him. I see no issue cheering on Hassli as a TFC player.

This is exactly what TFC is all about since Winter got deservedly fired,there is no ling term plan or any plan as it is,it is all about ST renewals. Season was lost in May and I rather have another shit season with full house clean up at the end of this year with 25% cheaper tickets next year because of low ST renewal rate,a slim hope that we can squeeze into the playoffs will give them excuse to gouge us once again for same product as it was in 2007.

Hasli will be a good addition to TFC,he is the best we can get,don't expect any other big names from Europe or SA coming here,TFC FO reeks incompetence and players agents are aware of that, Mellberg coming is very possible because they are negotiating with him for over a month now,most of the players don't have that time to wait and usually move on to the next best offer,just like Nesta did.

ensco
07-21-2012, 09:24 AM

It's definitely the MLSE hail mary move.

Someday we may have to put up a statue of Kessel, Lowry and Hassli, down where the ACC used to stand, before people stopped caring and they tore it down.

bgnewf
07-21-2012, 09:24 AM
wrote this on my blog Monday past when I wrote a piece about Koevermans.....

Can't fucking believe it... I actually got one right for once!

http://i4.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/ninja.gif

Interestingly a move out west this week might offer TFC some sort of a lifeline if another Canadian club can be convinced to deal with Toronto again. Scottish International Kenny Miller has signed on Monday as the Vancouver Whitecaps third Designated Player. He and the emerging Darren Mattocks have essentially banished 2011 stud striker (and TFC killer) Eric Hassli to the bench. Hassli would be an excellent replacement for Koevermans if some sort of reasonable deal could be brokered and the fact that there would be more opportunities down the road to burn Vancouver with a former player the way Terry Dunfield did last week.

Pookie
07-21-2012, 09:26 AM

It gets a little worse.

We traded our 1st in 2011 for Nathan Sturgis. Vancouver used it on Nanchoff but taken just after him was CJ Saprong and Will Bruin.

ManUtd4ever
07-21-2012, 09:35 AM
In which bizarro MLS is this true? He's never had a great goal-scoring record in MLS

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/156915/eric-hassli?cc=5901

In 2011, Hassli started in 21 league matches, scoring 10 goals and 1 assist. In the Canadian Championship he scored 2 goals in 4 games.

In 2012, Hassli has started in 9 league matches, scoring 2 goals and 3 assists. In the Canadian Championship, he scored 2 goals in 4 games.

Statistically speaking, I beg to differ with your analysis.

But like i said, to each his own.

Initial B
07-21-2012, 09:54 AM
The way I see it, this trade is a sto-pgap measure to get us through to the end of the season. If Hassili does well, maybe they'll keep him around. If he doesn't, then he comes off the books at the end of the year (after season ticket renewals have gone through). I dont like giving up a 1st round draft pick for it though.

billyfly
07-21-2012, 10:20 AM
By definition a DP should be better than a 1st round draft pick in MLS.

But the optics of it reek.

ManUtd4ever
07-21-2012, 10:37 AM
The season is likely lost, and from that standpoint, I can understand the confusion over the motivation of this deal.

However, if you take into account that TFC still has the CCL to play for, an unlikely but mathematically possible shot at the playoffs, and has the club option on Hassli's contract for next season, it makes sense that Mariner rushed to replace our undisputed MVP in Koevs this season.

tovan
07-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Good move by Mariner. We'll see how hassli does with Mariner's 4-4-2 while Koef is out. A 4-4-2 suits him better than a 4-3-3. If I recall the Caps under Thordarson played a similar formation and he did well. Probably didn't do well for Soehn because well... Soehn is an idiot.
- He'll get the playing time here
- Contract is up after this year. I could see him renewing with a slight drop in salary to about $400-500k which could be bought down with magical allocation money and not take up a DP spot.
- If he doesn't do well, simple, don't renew and release him.
- If Koef returns next year, partner them up top and let it rain goals on the opposition!

Ultra & Proud
07-21-2012, 12:15 PM
I like the signing. Hassli should be motivated by his contract expiration and for being dumped by Van.

Why does everyone complain when management gets in players to try to win? It always comes back to ML$E trying to increase ticket sales and raise prices. Would you rather TFC stink it up year after year so you can save a buck and always have something to whine about? We are all supporters for this team right? Sometimes I wonder.

rocker
07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
I like the move. all the positives pointed out above I agree with.

Some other random points:

1) inserting Hassli into the current lineup keeps everything intact that has worked so far. It also preserves our chances of actually winning, and winning more games is good for development of the younger players even if we don't make the playoffs. As Ives Garlarcep said on Twitter, many MLS teams have ressurrected seasons in the second half and that success has rolled into the next season.

2) If Danny is out for one full year, that means just as Danny returns next summer, Hassli's DP contract is over (he's apparently signed until next June). As we saw with Cann and Dicoy, it can take a looong time for these guys to rehab. So it isn't a given that Koev will be ready for the start of next season. Right now, Danny is not a DP against the roster according to Mariner. So Mariner could still sign another DP for CB now or in the off-season.

3) Hassli's contract could be renegotiated in the offseason in a way that takes him off the DP designation and maybe even doesn't hit the cap as hard as a DP does. It's a club option for 6 months.. Does Hassli want a guarantee of more employment beyond that? That's leverage for lowering his deal but still keeping him.

4) Vancouver took our 2011 draft pick and turned it into Michael Nanchoff, a guy who has barely played in two seasons. Everyone talks about Mattocks but he was an obvious pick after Wenger was taken (like Mo Johnston choosing Maurice Edu -- nobody ever gives Mo credit for that since Edu was the obvious choice). There's no guarantee Vancouver will be smart enough to pick the right player IF -- and we hope -- that TFC's pick isn't a low one due to increased success. I find it amusing that people cite the players who have succeeded from the draft but fail to cite all the failures. There are more failures than successes. Even in the 2012 draft, a small minority of the first round picks are actually playing regularly this season. If Vancouver picks, I dunno, 8th with TFC's 2014 pick, will they pick another Michael Nanchoff or Darren Mattocks? No guarantees there. And based on what happened in the 2012 draft, the likelihood of that pick actually starting and contributing in 2014 in low. So the impact of the pick may start to happen -- if Vancouver makes a good pick -- in 2015. That's three years away.

5) I think some people create this dichotomy between long term and short term, as if every move the team makes must be in one or the other category. If one move is long term and one move is short term this seems inconsistent to some people. As if we should have just given up on this season and only focused on the future. But when does "the future" come? I'm a bit tired of waiting for this mythical future when everything will be perfect. Let's be pragmatic instead. We've got future (Morgan, Henry, Eckersley, Lambe, Silva etc). MLS is a league in which a team can rebuild within a season. We could be a decent team before that 2014 draft pick is even contributing. Not to mention the fact we have a draft pick for 2013 -- this guy could make an impact sooner, if you believe the draft is so important.

Yohan
07-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Now if Mariner can somehow pry the unsettled Brek Shea out of Dallas, sign McKenna or Mellberg and maybe add a decent depth CM, I'd be happy!

jabbronies
07-21-2012, 12:40 PM
We'll see what happens. Can't really make a proper evaluation until we actually see how Hassli plays; the impact he has for the team; who Vancity picks up and how that kid plays out.
From what little I've seen of him against TFC, I'd say he's a good pick. Target striker is what this team is based around for scoring goals, so getting one in like him is great. He is a beast. Type of strikers defenders would fear. He's gritty and mean. Will be great personality fit for TFC supporters and the city. We love grinders, right? At least now we have one with skill.

jloome
07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
I think I can answer this and demine's request to keep it on topic at the same time.

The reason it matters is the very reason that Hassli was made available. The system dictates the type of players you bring in.

Said Mark Webber of the Province:

Rennie's 4-3-3 system, which defensively looks more like 4-5-1, demands plenty of running up top, and Hassli covers far less ground than Sebastien Le Toux or Mattocks. That's part of the reason why Hassli's seen so few starts.
Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Whitecaps+Eric+Hassli+keeper+transfer+window+candi date/6881801/story.html#ixzz21GMZW3NG

If your goal is forward first in thinking, or long ball, you need big boots at the back and big targets up front. You don't look for skilled short passers or quick forwards that can press high. You need big target men such as Hassli. You don't need smaller, quick forwards like Plata.

Given the DP investment in Hassli and the high price of a draft pick, the system is now set through 2013 and Mariner will promote, seek and sign players that can support his system. It's not necessarily a bad thing if you think "Forward First" thinking can beat Total Football over the long term. He's doing it his way and I hope when the next 14 games are complete and CCL group stage is done, Mariner will be vindicated.

Over the long term though, I don't happen to be one of those that think this system will result in a Championship.

It's working in San Jose, with Wondolowski and Gordon/Lenhart. They're scoring most of their goals off two strikers banging in the box, both big guys.

ag futbol
07-21-2012, 12:56 PM
This is exactly what TFC is all about since Winter got deservedly fired,there is no ling term plan or any plan as it is,it is all about ST renewals.
I've heard this in more than a few places unfortunately. Enough for me to buy-in that it might have some truth.

I wonder if some people are getting scared for their jobs and such, I think this year TFC is going to get savaged on renewals regardless of what they do. There is basically no message they can trot out to sell people on coming back who they've pissed off. Hassli or no, good run to end the season or not... they've lost credibility.

BHTC Mike
07-21-2012, 01:15 PM

It's working in San Jose, with Wondolowski and Gordon/Lenhart. They're scoring most of their goals off two strikers banging in the box, both big guys.
You beat me to it while I was preparing some stats for the "system" thread. Forget the past. That's TODAY in MLS and just gets ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative.

narduch
07-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Hassli's DP contract is over (he's apparently signed until next June)..

I doubt he is signed until mid-season. More than likely the option is for all of 2013. The confusion comes from a Swiss website that probably doesn't understand that MLS plays a summer season.

Just like when people would read transfermaket.de and think De Guzman was signed until half of this season.

Pookie
07-21-2012, 02:49 PM
The season is likely lost, and from that standpoint, I can understand the confusion over the motivation of this deal.

However, if you take into account that TFC still has the CCL to play for, an unlikely but mathematically possible shot at the playoffs, and has the club option on Hassli's contract for next season, it makes sense that Mariner rushed to replace our undisputed MVP in Koevs this season.

CCL is the only reason it makes sense to give up a 1st round pick this year. (well that and season ticket renewals)

Hassli would likely become out of contract with Vancouver in the off season, at which point Koevermans health would also be known. Same player could have been picked up for the cost of an offer, no draft pick necessary. You would then have the luxury of looking at all available DP options, none that require a draft pick.

I get we are looking for immediate results. Hassli fits Mariner's system.

But imagine a team with Cronin, Loyd, Saprong/Bruin instead of the one we got with a short stay for Serioux, Sturgis and Allocation money. Those draft picks are important and to give one up when the same player may have been had for nothing, means that the investment needs to pay immediate dividends.

Incidently, if you believe Hassli will improve the team's MLS fortunes, they inadvertently hurt their draft position in 2013. Success now means picking later on in the 2013 draft. Sort of like the Leafs trading for a veteran to help them get to 9th place in the conference and outside the draft lottery.

sproo
07-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Whitecaps fan/season tix holder here--but I come in peace. I actually lived in TO for the first few years of TFC's existence and supported them for a time (loved going to see games in your section(s)), so I still have a bit of a soft spot for you guys, so I'll try my best to give as balanced of a perspective as I can.

As many of you have pointed out, Hassli has been extremely clutch for us, and has probably scored the 4 most important goals in our MLS existence-- our first goal, the world-class goal against Seattle last year, a clutch extra-time winner against San Jose and that rocket-volley he scored against you guys in the Amway game this year in Vancouver. Based on those 4 goals alone, he will forever be a legend for whitecaps fans. But the reality of this season was that apart from a couple clutch goals he has been quite ineffective and deservedly lost his spot in the starting 11. He is definitely strong, and has a rocket of a shot, but often relies on his strength rather than positioning to fight for loose balls, which often ends up with unnecessary fouls being called against him. His first touch has not been very good this year (nor was it really exceptional last year), and for a big man he is very poor in the air (apparently he suffered a bad head injury in the past playing in europe...). I think it was clear to most 'realistic' whitecaps supporters that he was great to have as a sort of 'super sub' off the bench to help push for a late goal in a game, but from a salary-management perspective it didn't make much sense to be paying DP money to someone to come off the bench late in the game.

That being said, I still think you guys will love him, and I think you'll probably be hearing a lot of Dichio comparisons on the boards. He oozes intensity and his finishing can be world class with the right service. Your situation probably suits him well since it appears he will be your go-to striker by default so with increased opportunity he should be able to score some goals for you. But for those of you who think you're getting a top-class MLS DP striker will probably be disappointed... I would be shocked if anyone in the MLS would renew his contract for DP money next year. Personally, I was hoping we could decline his option next year and renegotiate a non-DP contract for next year as more of a depth/secondary striker, so I think what you gave up for him may have been a bit steep (I was expecting we would get even less if anything in his move just to free up his salary), but I guess draft picks are always a crapshoot, and considering the fantastic memories he's given to caps fans I'm happy he's going to a club where he'll see more opportunity to try and lengthen his career. Best of luck to Eric and I hope you enjoy him!

jazzy
07-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Whitecaps fan/season tix holder here--but I come in peace. I actually lived in TO for the first few years of TFC's existence and supported them for a time (loved going to see games in your section(s)), so I still have a bit of a soft spot for you guys, so I'll try my best to give as balanced of a perspective as I can.

As many of you have pointed out, Hassli has been extremely clutch for us, and has probably scored the 4 most important goals in our MLS existence-- our first goal, the world-class goal against Seattle last year, a clutch extra-time winner against San Jose and that rocket-volley he scored against you guys in the Amway game this year in Vancouver. Based on those 4 goals alone, he will forever be a legend for whitecaps fans. But the reality of this season was that apart from a couple clutch goals he has been quite ineffective and deservedly lost his spot in the starting 11. He is definitely strong, and has a rocket of a shot, but often relies on his strength rather than positioning to fight for loose balls, which often ends up with unnecessary fouls being called against him. His first touch has not been very good this year (nor was it really exceptional last year), and for a big man he is very poor in the air (apparently he suffered a bad head injury in the past playing in europe...). I think it was clear to most 'realistic' whitecaps supporters that he was great to have as a sort of 'super sub' off the bench to help push for a late goal in a game, but from a salary-management perspective it didn't make much sense to be paying DP money to someone to come off the bench late in the game.

That being said, I still think you guys will love him, and I think you'll probably be hearing a lot of Dichio comparisons on the boards. He oozes intensity and his finishing can be world class with the right service. Your situation probably suits him well since it appears he will be your go-to striker by default so with increased opportunity he should be able to score some goals for you. But for those of you who think you're getting a top-class MLS DP striker will probably be disappointed... I would be shocked if anyone in the MLS would renew his contract for DP money next year. Personally, I was hoping we could decline his option next year and renegotiate a non-DP contract for next year as more of a depth/secondary striker, so I think what you gave up for him may have been a bit steep (I was expecting we would get even less if anything in his move just to free up his salary), but I guess draft picks are always a crapshoot, and considering the fantastic memories he's given to caps fans I'm happy he's going to a club where he'll see more opportunity to try and lengthen his career. Best of luck to Eric and I hope you enjoy him!

nicely worded,...we're TO,...always overpaying and selling our souls to the devil......we can NEVER replace DK...regardless of what people think,...his heart and his recently found game shape, made him our true TFC leader.....mlse simply without true scouts or the ability to pull out real hidden 'talents' are hoping that Hassli will simply be a stop gap to get them thru the year,..without losing anymore fans or STH's....in a sense the team had to do something , hopefully a CB is found, but I think our shopping is done

Couchy81
07-21-2012, 07:33 PM

You are too hung up on MLS Super Draft. It is not the end-game for MLS teams. It is nothing compared to NBA or NHL drafts. I don't know if you witnessed the friendly match this afternoon but the TFCA is doing what it is meant to do, support the main squad with talented kids. We will see the fruits of TFCA in 2013 and beyond I'm sure.

Canary10
07-21-2012, 07:50 PM
For me at the end of the day, we have no strikers. No team can compete for half a season without a proper finisher. We needed to address this, and Hassli is a guy who can finish. He comes with a chip on his shoulder. He plays emotional - on a good day that means he's stuck in and destroys guys. On a bad day he drifts into nonchalance. I'm fine with that. Mariner prides himself in his player motivation - and by that I mean he does charades on the sideline. Hopefully that's enough to light the fire Hassi needs.

moralis
07-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Seems Hasli will only be in Toronto next Wednesday according to Vancouver Whitecaps beat writer Mark Weber:

Marc Weber ‏@ProvinceWeberHassli will be in the crowd Sunday. Doesn't head to T.O. until Wed. Family stuff 2 sort. Caps still did treatment on his ankle today #MLS (http://redpatchboys.ca/search/%23MLS)

http://twitter.com/ProvinceWeber/status/226773858793947137

http://twitter.com/ProvinceWeber

Mariner said in his post game conference after the Liverpool game that the team will be at a TFC comminity practice on Monday then their next full practice is on Thursday

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/07/21/paul-mariner-july-21-2012

Also no update on centre back signing: Starts at minute 5:25 to 5:35. Doesn't look happy.

ensco
07-21-2012, 09:03 PM
You are too hung up on MLS Super Draft. It is not the end-game for MLS teams. It is nothing compared to NBA or NHL drafts. I don't know if you witnessed the friendly match this afternoon but the TFCA is doing what it is meant to do, support the main squad with talented kids. We will see the fruits of TFCA in 2013 and beyond I'm sure.

You may be buying what Anselmi et al are selling on the academy business, but I'm not.

TFC is not unique. Every MLS team is doing the academy song and dance. If there are so many stars in MLS that came out of Academies, how about you name a few?

I can name about 20 stars that came out of the top 5 picks in the MLS Superdraft over the last 10 years.

Even if it works, they're looking to sell players, not keep them. The Academy will not move the needle for the senior team - it may produce serviceable players that would otherwise be NCAA guys, sure, but that's about it.

denime
07-21-2012, 09:12 PM

No we wont,the best one will be gone,the rest will go NCAA,some boys from junior academy right now thinking for a move to Vancouver or Montreal,can't name them it would bring the kids in a lots of trouble.Academy is now practicing and playing 442,not every academy player is happy about it and some already looking around and checking were to go once they leave TFCA.

and not exactly TFC related but Aleman declined the call up to Canada U20 and might opt out all together from CMNT,I would not be surprised to see him playing for Costa Rica.

brad
07-21-2012, 09:40 PM
So the 4-3-3 really is dead then - from front to back...

Couchy81
07-21-2012, 09:52 PM
If there are so many stars in MLS that came out of Academies, how about you name a few?

I can name about 20 stars that came out of the top 5 picks in the MLS Superdraft over the last 10 years.

The Academy business is new. How many MLS teams were running Academies 10 years ago? Easy to say that 10 years ago this guy who is a star was drafted when an Academy didn't event exist. Am I wrong?

Couchy81
07-21-2012, 09:59 PM
No we wont,the best one will be gone,the rest will go NCAA,some boys from junior academy right now thinking for a move to Vancouver or Montreal,can't name them it would bring the kids in a lots of trouble.Academy is now practicing and playing 442,not every academy player is happy about it and some already looking around and checking were to go once they leave TFCA.

and not exactly TFC related but Aleman declined the call up to Canada U20 and might opt out all together from CMNT,I would not be surprised to see him playing for Costa Rica.

I don't want to start any type of argument but basing your doom and gloom of the whim of a couple kids playing soccer on an Academy is kind of pessimistic don't you think? Every organization in the world whether it be sports, corporate, government, entertainment, has players/people come and go based on personal desire. You can't seriously think that because Johnny Soccer Player with the slick doo decides Montreal plays more to his style of game that TFC are doomed?

Also what the hell has Aleman ever done for people to be so enthralled with his every move? Prospects are prospects, in baseball you go through them a dime a dozen, suddenly because it's a new thing in soccer to have them at your team's disposal they are treated like the next coming of Messi.

Max_TO
07-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Not sure if this has already been mentioned ?? But this move is sure to bring some fans back to the game and fill some seats .

Good move , I hope :P

JonO
07-21-2012, 10:15 PM

That'll be the kicker though, won't it. Top 5 is still pretty good. After that is a bit of a crapshoot. So how bad TFC performs next year will determine the value of the trade.

maninb
07-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Now if Mariner can somehow pry the unsettled Brek Shea out of Dallas, sign McKenna or Mellberg and maybe add a decent depth CM, I'd be happy!

Not bloody likely...Shea is revered in the US as the second coming of Jesus...no way he comes to Canada....

iy12l
07-23-2012, 11:31 AM
What a waste of $20m... Im pretty sure Rongen and BDK will leave after this season.

T-boy
07-23-2012, 11:45 AM
What a waste of $20m... Im pretty sure Rongen and BDK will leave after this season.

I don't buy into that at all. The academy construction will always benefit TFC and Canadian soccer. TFC and MLSE are building a long term future, and that will last longer than Ronger/DK's reign. No matter what style of play the academy are playing, they will always be the future of TFC, NOT the draft or allocation money or the cap - but the academy. Mariner knows this, and even the tea lady at TFC probably knows this! The academy is the academy, Winter's 4-3-3 is different. The academy will live much longer than Winter and Klinnsmann's 4-3-3 vision.

flatpicker
07-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Any more word on Hassli's health status?
Will he be able to play this weekend?

tovan
07-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Any more word on Hassli's health status?
Will he be able to play this weekend?

Word from Vancouver is that he is moving to TO on Weds. He was still doing rehab on his ankle with Whitecaps staff this past weekend.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/Whitecaps+trade+Eric+Hassli+Toronto/6967379/story.html

"He doesn’t leave for Toronto until Wednesday and he’ll be in the crowd today as the Whitecaps host the San Jose Earthquakes at B.C. Place...

Hassli, once he’s recovered from a right ankle sprain in a week or two, will see plenty of time in Toronto."

From July 21:Marc Weber‏@ProvinceWeber Hassli will be in the crowd Sunday. Doesn't head to T.O. until Wed. Family stuff 2 sort. Caps still did treatment on his ankle today #MLS (http://redpatchboys.ca/search/%23MLS)

greatwhitenorf
07-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Hassli will be urgently needed as soon as the all-star break is over. The three-game winning streak - plus a crushing moral victory over Merseyside Selects - has given TFC a slim chance of making the playoffs. Win the next three league games over Houston, Chicago and KC and that faint hope flickers into life.

Le Gros Galoot can be the difference maker if he's sound and into it. Otherwise, he'll have no real reason to bust himself until next season.

David_Oliveira
07-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Anyone else excited to see a potential TFC next year with a healthy Hassli and Koevs playing infront of Frings? I really hope that Koevs comes back strong because that right there sounds awesome.

ensco
07-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Anyone else excited to see a potential TFC next year with a healthy Hassli and Koevs playing infront of Frings? I really hope that Koevs comes back strong because that right there sounds awesome.

No chance. Hassli and Koevs are incredibly similar. That can't work. I have never seen a team play with two 6 foot 4 in (or whatever they are, they're both big and strong and tall!) target men.

Hassli is Koev's replacement. He was acquired because of the possibility (probability?) that Koevs is done.

jloome
07-23-2012, 07:13 PM
No chance. Hassli and Koevs are incredibly similar. That can't work. I have never seen a team play with two 6 foot 4 in (or whatever they are, they're both big and strong and tall!) target men.

Hassli is Koev's replacement. He was acquired because of the possibility (probability?) that Koevs is done.

Hassli's not a target man, he just looks like one. He's shit in the air. He's more likely to try a stepover and beat a guy, like Ryan Johnson, than to challenge much for a cross or hold the ball up (although he's not bad at the latter, out of the necessity from being played at the top of a three-man front.)

They could work together. Both tactically a step ahead, might even work.

David_Oliveira
07-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Hassli's not a target man, he just looks like one. He's shit in the air. He's more likely to try a stepover and beat a guy, like Ryan Johnson, than to challenge much for a cross or hold the ball up (although he's not bad at the latter, out of the necessity from being played at the top of a three-man front.)

They could work together. Both tactically a step ahead, might even work.

That's how I see it. One playing off the other. Koevs winning balls and laying of to Hassli

ensco
07-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Hassli's not a target man, he just looks like one. He's shit in the air.

There was a story in the National Post a couple of months ago saying that Hassli was afraid of headers because of a childhood accident (I can't find a link). But he's not shit in the air. Quite the contrary.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2012/07/14/save-johnson-paws-hassli-header-over-crossbar
http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2012/03/24/hassli-nearly-directs-header-frame

jloome
07-23-2012, 08:53 PM
There was a story in the National Post a couple of months ago saying that Hassli was afraid of headers because of a childhood accident (I can't find a link). But he's not shit in the air. Quite the contrary.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2012/07/14/save-johnson-paws-hassli-header-over-crossbar
http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2012/03/24/hassli-nearly-directs-header-frame

Ah, that explains it. There was a discussion last season about his reluctance to head the ball.

Gazza_55
07-24-2012, 03:12 AM
I don't buy into that at all. The academy construction will always benefit TFC and Canadian soccer. TFC and MLSE are building a long term future, and that will last longer than Ronger/DK's reign. No matter what style of play the academy are playing, they will always be the future of TFC, NOT the draft or allocation money or the cap - but the academy. Mariner knows this, and even the tea lady at TFC probably knows this! The academy is the academy, Winter's 4-3-3 is different. The academy will live much longer than Winter and Klinnsmann's 4-3-3 vision.

Although I agree with most of your points ..... why can't the academy, college players AND allocation money (ie scouting) ALL be the future? Why would a club limit their options? The collage players are getting every year, academies are just getting off the ground and international scouting is not subject to any financial constraint so why not use all three?

Lumpy
07-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Searched around for article on Hassli's fear of heading. Couldn't find linkable article but found this cached article. A little bit troubling.

Whitecaps' striker Eric Hassli overcoming fear of headingFinally getting his head in the gameVancouver Whitecaps' Eric Hassli during the MLS season opener.When Eric Hassli was a 16-year-old youth player in France, he went to head a ball but instead bashed skulls with an opposing defender.
He went home, seeing clouds and different colours, and collapsed, unconscious, for a few seconds.
Hassli spent a week in hospital in Sarreguemines, the French-German border town where he grew up playing.
But the psychological impact of that experience has been with him for another 15 years, lingering, as it were, in the back of his head, making him reluctant to use the front of it.
New Vancouver Whitecaps coach Martin Rennie is the first manager to coax that story out of the previously head-shy Hassli, a 6-foot-4 forward with a tantalizing mix of size and soft feet, but, until now, a mysterious aversion to heading.
Both the coach and player believe that unlocking that memory is the key to unleashing an even greater physical force.
"It's much better now, so much better even than last month because he spoke to me and he's right," said Hassli, who scored 10 times for the Whitecaps in 2011, all with his feet. "When I jump, I can protect myself with my arms."
Getting over his fear of a head injury, combined with a back-to-basics approach to heading in practice, is already paying off for Hassli.
It was the Frenchman's flick-header that created the opening goal for countryman Sebastien Le Toux in Vancouver's 2-0 win over the Montreal Impact on Saturday.
During a crossing and finishing drill at practice in Burnaby on Thursday, Hassli at one point tried to score by raising his leg for a difficult high volley.
Assistant coach Carl Robin-son pointed to his own head and encouraged the big man to use his.
The next time through the drill, Hassli nodded in a goal, raised both arms high and, with a beaming smile, began punching himself, softly, around the temples.
"It's different for me to play with my head," said the 30-year-old. "It's really good. I work really hard on it."
Hassli then noted Didier Drogba's performance in Chelsea's Champions League victory on Wednesday, which included a header goal, and it would be hard to find a better model for Hassli than the 6-foot-3 Ivorian striker.
"We can see Drogba was fantastic with his head and his body," Hassli said. "I'm heavy, I'm tall and I need to play with my head to help my teammates. It's really important to being a good striker."
Hassli's commitment to an aerial game should help the Whitecaps in many ways, including on attacking set pieces where they were woeful in 2011 except for Camilo's free kicks.
The Whitecaps scored just once off 138 corners in their inaugural MLS season, a league worst, and five times off headers (see box above). As the Whitecaps prepare for their first road trip of the sea-son, at L.A.-based Chivas on Saturday, some will recall that last year's road opener at Philadelphia was memorable for Hassli's head - as in hothead.
That game marked the first of three red cards for Hassli, whose adjustment to referees and style of play was as big a story as his high-light-reel goals.
His final sending off, coincidentally, came at Chivas, 66 minutes into Tommy Soehn's first game in charge.
One of Rennie's first projects when he took the job in Vancouver was to make Hassli's head a topic of conversation for all the right reasons.
No cautions and one assist is a good start.
Rennie believes the big break-through - Hassli's first headed goal for Vancouver - is coming soon.
"He's attacking the ball really well," said Rennie. "He's getting his timing right, he looks sharp, he looks strong. Saturday, he won the second-most headers on the field. He's got the ability to do that. One of them set up a goal, and a 6-foot-4 forward with the power he's got - if we get balls in the box, he can be a big threat."
Much has been made of Rennie's people skills and focus on the mental side of the game.
For those seeking evidence of the benefits, Hassli could be Exhibit A.

T-boy
07-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Although I agree with most of your points ..... why can't the academy, college players AND allocation money (ie scouting) ALL be the future? Why would a club limit their options? The collage players are getting every year, academies are just getting off the ground and international scouting is not subject to any financial constraint so why not use all three?

Because the contraints of the league and salary cap means that its better for the whole team to have homegrown players who don't count against the cap. I agree that you need to get players from various sources, but the "value" of HGP is doubled as they don't cost anything in terms of cap space.

Dreadlocks
07-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Not sure if this posted anywhere but it's an interesting tweet about Hassli saying he will never play against the Caps!

https://twitter.com/kentoncanderson/status/227503291628662785

rocker
07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Because the contraints of the league and salary cap means that its better for the whole team to have homegrown players who don't count against the cap. I agree that you need to get players from various sources, but the "value" of HGP is doubled as they don't cost anything in terms of cap space.

There's also some belief that colleges will get fewer and fewer good quality players as soccer increases in stature in the united states. That is, academies will take away the best kids that normally would have gone to college. College-eligible players may also decide to take the Euro route more often. So quality will decline in college and the draft will become less and less valuable. We already see that there's maybe 5-8 players worth drafting each year now.. if that declines the draft may have to be scrapped altogether or made just one round. I've found the later rounds to be almost meaningless -- teams draft a player's rights, trial him, then choose not to sign him. Of course MLS likes the draft to control players, as they control players' rights in many many ways.

Beach_Red
07-24-2012, 09:44 AM
There's also some belief that colleges will get fewer and fewer good quality players as soccer increases in stature in the united states. That is, academies will take away the best kids that normally would have gone to college. College-eligible players may also decide to take the Euro route more often. So quality will decline in college and the draft will become less and less valuable. We already see that there's maybe 5-8 players worth drafting each year now.. if that declines the draft may have to be scrapped altogether or made just one round. I've found the later rounds to be almost meaningless -- teams draft a player's rights, trial him, then choose not to sign him. Of course MLS likes the draft to control players, as they control players' rights in many many ways.

It'll be very interesting to see if soccer can become a major, mainstream sport in the US without a strong NCAA (and high schools).

OgtheDim
07-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Not sure if this posted anywhere but it's an interesting tweet about Hassli saying he will never play against the Caps!

This and the fact he went and watched their game this weekend makes me wonder where his head is.

Merucurial comes to mind.

billyfly
07-24-2012, 11:20 AM

I says Pardon?

ryan
07-24-2012, 11:23 AM
lol umm, what in the fuck?

billyfly
07-24-2012, 11:28 AM
So much for being motivated against his former team.

ryan
07-24-2012, 11:34 AM
“I understand the choice,” said Hassli. “The only thing is the way they took to tell me was just disrespectful. No class, I think. Just 15 seconds on the phone, like, ‘You’ve been traded. I wish you the best.’
“Just speak man-to-man. But I wish all the best to the club, really.”

But he won't play against them?

T-boy
07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Could there be a clause in his trade agreement that he won't play against the Whitecaps this season?

ryan
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
We don't play them again, perhaps it just means he'll look to get out of his option and leave MLS at season end?

This could be a bit ugly if he's already one foot out the club/league.

billyfly
07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
This is weird.

jloome
07-24-2012, 11:43 AM
lol umm, what in the fuck?

Players who get too attached to the fan base and its view of them (ehem, Ricketts) have this habit of making demands of management and believing their own hype. He and Chiumento got Cult of Personality treatment from Vancouver fans. I think they both figured they'd retire there. So his head's probably pretty fucked up right now.

(I'm not condoning the mentality, it's just human nature when people are handed adulation).

Auzzy
07-24-2012, 12:03 PM
This and the fact he went and watched their game this weekend makes me wonder where his head is.

Merucurial comes to mind.

He didn't go to watch the Whitecaps game this weekend. His wife was sick & he stayed home. He said thanks for the tribute -- I guess they sang something in the 29th minute.

As for the tweet that he won't be playing against the Caps -- it's off some other random person's Twitter account, who ran into Hassli shopping at Costco. We shall see. I'm not planning to get my shorts in a knot yet. These kinds of trades & transfers must be tough. I believe in MLS players have even less control than elsewhere? Let's see what Hassli says after he's settled in & played a few games here.

Carts
07-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Well, having spent a lot of time with Hassli - his words could have been completely taken wrong / grammatical error...

His English is not great when he's just chatting. Interviews, he focuses and gets most things right - but when we were goofing around and just shooting the shit over croissants and him wanting red wine (random I know), he messed up a bunch of things in grammar...

Conversation could have went...
Person: "...will you be motivated next time you play Vancouver..."
Hassli: "...well uh, I won't play against them ever, ah..."
Person: "...really..."

Problem, Hassli could have easily meant this season (we don't have them again) as its one of the grammatical errors he makes when just talking regularly...

Shakes McQueen
07-24-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm gonna wait until the man himself says anything as a TFC player, before I start reacting to what other people say he said on Twitter. He really loved playing in Vancouver - remember that TorStar article about him getting the tattoo, etc.? He is that club's Danny Dichio, to an extent. I'm sure his head is in a really weird, emotional spot right now.

- Scott

Couchy81
07-24-2012, 07:19 PM
He really loved playing in Vancouver - remember that TorStar article about him getting the tattoo, etc.? He is that club's Danny Dichio, to an extent. I'm sure his head is in a really weird, emotional spot right now.

- Scott

His tattoo was for Canada, the country, he got maple leaves. Nothing to do with the Whitecaps.

"The maple leaves are because I landed in a country that agrees with me, and where I feel good,” he told the Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/whitecaps-striker-eric-hassli-falls-in-love-with-vancouver/article2136046/) (the G&M article is also a must read). “After 1 1/2 months of living here, I went and saw the tattoo artist and said: ‘Listen, I want Canadian maple leaves, and after that, you do what you want with the rest of the arm.’ It’s an homage. And it’s going to stay there the rest of my life.”

http://www.thedenimkit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/hassli-tat-225x300.jpg

Shakes McQueen
07-24-2012, 08:13 PM
His tattoo was for Canada, the country, he got maple leaves. Nothing to do with the Whitecaps.

"The maple leaves are because I landed in a country that agrees with me, and where I feel good,” he told the Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/whitecaps-striker-eric-hassli-falls-in-love-with-vancouver/article2136046/) (the G&M article is also a must read). “After 1 1/2 months of living here, I went and saw the tattoo artist and said: ‘Listen, I want Canadian maple leaves, and after that, you do what you want with the rest of the arm.’ It’s an homage. And it’s going to stay there the rest of my life.”

http://www.thedenimkit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/hassli-tat-225x300.jpg

I know, but he got it after living in Vancouver, and only Vancouver. Should tell you something about what he thought of his time there. Just like Dichio getting his Canadian citizenship was no doubt a product of how much he enjoyed Toronto.

- Scott

MKR
07-25-2012, 07:13 AM
that seems a tad impulsive there Eric. After a month and a half too eh? Anyways, at least he got traded to another team in Canada and we can give him a reason to keep up his 'enthusiasm' for the country.

Carts
07-25-2012, 07:26 AM
that seems a tad impulsive there Eric. After a month and a half too eh? Anyways, at least he got traded to another team in Canada and we can give him a reason to keep up his 'enthusiasm' for the country.

Based on the number of tattoos he has - I wouldn't be surprised if there a few "impulsive ones" scattered around... LOL

TFC_Allez
07-25-2012, 11:44 AM
I've got to say...this is a very interesting move. Hassli is a quality player but has been pretty inconsistent with the Shitecaps. He's scored some pretty sweet goals but also has the ability to drift out of games quickly if he doesn't get service. I don't think he has a knack for goal the same way as Danny K does, but he does seem to be able to create his own chances a bit better than Danny. Danny is a pure striker, whereas Hassli plays as more of a forward attacker with striker tendencies. He will either be the perfect replacement for Danny, or will be a total flop. I don't really see any in between scenarios. I am looking forward to seeing him in TFC red and I'm hoping to see a couple of wonder-strikes for us too if nothing else!

Thomas
07-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Does anyone have any info on whether Hassli's ankle is on the mend, and whether he might be in a position to get some minutes on Saturday?

tovan
07-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Does anyone have any info on whether Hassli's ankle is on the mend, and whether he might be in a position to get some minutes on Saturday?

Word from Vancouver is that he is moving to TO on Weds. He was still doing rehab on his ankle with Whitecaps staff this past weekend.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/Whitecaps+trade+Eric+Hassli+Toronto/6967379/story.html

"He doesn’t leave for Toronto until Wednesday and he’ll be in the crowd today as the Whitecaps host the San Jose Earthquakes at B.C. Place...

Hassli, once he’s recovered from a right ankle sprain in a week or two, will see plenty of time in Toronto."

From July 21:Marc Weber‏@ProvinceWeber Hassli will be in the crowd Sunday. Doesn't head to T.O. until Wed. Family stuff 2 sort. Caps still did treatment on his ankle today #MLS (http://redpatchboys.ca/search/%23MLS)

repost

Brooker
07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Hassli is a big dumb oaf. All the evidence points to it. Don't analyze his thoughts too much.

Derko
07-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Hassli is a big dumb oaf. All the evidence points to it. Don't analyze his thoughts too much.

Words from the wise, I suppose, most athletes aren't what I would call eloquent anyway.lol

I am anxious to see Hassli score a few crackers from outside the box, which TFC rarely seem to be able to do.

flatpicker
07-25-2012, 06:09 PM
I am anxious to see Hassli score a few crackers from outside the box, which TFC rarely seem to be able to do.

Seriously.
Whenever I see nice long range goals on MLS highlight reels, I often think, "Why don't we ever see that in Toronto?". I know there might be a few exceptions from the past, but not enough!

OgtheDim
07-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Seriously.
Whenever I see nice long range goals on MLS highlight reels, I often think, "Why don't we ever see that in Toronto?"....

Aceval vs. Santos....but CCL behaviour seems to be the exception that proves the rule for us.

Lennon
07-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Also Lambe vs. Chicago ..

ManUtd4ever
07-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Gerry Dobson‏@SNGerryDobson#TFC (http://redpatchboys.ca/#!/search/%23TFC) will likely hold a Hassli news conference before Saturday's game. No word yet on when he'll be fit to play.

Pint
07-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Another decent goal this season was Johnson vs the sounders... left footed curl into the far top corner.

Toronto Funk
07-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Jimmy B scored a rocket for us early on too.

Tee Ef See
07-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Didn't read the whole thread so not sure if this was brought up or not yet, but ran into a few interesting tweets.

@DimopsV (https://twitter.com/DimopsV)
Not much has been said about #Hassli (https://twitter.com/search/%23Hassli)'s disciplinary issues but since entering MLS he is tied for 1st in terms of cards #tfc (https://twitter.com/search/%23tfc) #tfclive (https://twitter.com/search/%23tfclive)

https://twitter.com/DimopsV/status/228907808349900800
https://twitter.com/DimopsV/status/228908756505874432

ManUtd4ever
07-27-2012, 01:58 PM
John Molinaro‏@JohnMolinaro Paul Mariner: "(Hassli) could play tomorrow, I think. Yeah." #TFC (http://redpatchboys.ca/#!/search/%23TFC)

Pookie
07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
John Molinaro‏@JohnMolinaro Paul Mariner: "(Hassli) could play tomorrow, I think. Yeah." #TFC (http://redpatchboys.ca/#!/search/%23TFC)

He better.

To give up a 1st round pick now instead of waiting for the offseason when he would be out of contract (assuming Vancouver let him go) is significant.

We didn't give up that high a pick for him to sit on the bench for 4 CCL games and 14 MLS games

ManUtd4ever
07-27-2012, 02:15 PM
He better.

To give up a 1st round pick now instead of waiting for the offseason when he would be out of contract (assuming Vancouver let him go) is significant.

We didn't give up that high a pick for him to sit on the bench for 4 CCL games and 14 MLS games

I think it would be safe to assume that Mariner did his due diligence in that regard prior to making the deal. He knew that Hassli was close to returning.

Phil
07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
He better.

If he is not fit, don't start him. Notice we kept the 2013 pick and gave up the 2014, I think that has to do with the quality in the upcoming draft.

denime
07-27-2012, 02:50 PM
I think it would be safe to assume that Mariner did his due diligence in that regard prior to making the deal. He knew that Hassli was close to returning.
Oh yes he did,he asked Earl C.to check all details with whitecaps,I'm assuming Earl is still working on it,he got lost between Plata transfer and Nesra pbone number. ;-)

ManUtd4ever
07-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Oh yes he did,he asked Earl C.to check all details with whitecaps,I'm assuming Earl is still working on it,he got lost between Plata transfer and Nesra pbone number. ;-)

Give it a rest. It's not even amusing anymore.

Pookie
07-27-2012, 03:49 PM
If he is not fit, don't start him. Notice we kept the 2013 pick and gave up the 2014, I think that has to do with the quality in the upcoming draft.

So, if the 2013 pick is going to be a good one considering our position in the table, why trade for a player that could make the club better and finish higher (and pick lower as a result)?

And if the player was to be available in the summer, why trade for him now?

ManUtd4ever
07-27-2012, 04:06 PM
So, if the 2013 pick is going to be a good one considering our position in the table, why trade for a player that could make the club better and finish higher (and pick lower as a result)?And if the player was to be available in the summer, why trade for him now?Because unless the CCL means nothing to you, TFC still has something to play for this season, that's why.

khso11
07-27-2012, 04:46 PM
http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws.com/10935b7ad81611e19be31231380e66dc_7.jpg

He's here!!!!

Stryker
07-27-2012, 04:54 PM
^ and looks to have lost a few pounds.

Shakes McQueen
07-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Yeah, let him play when he's ready. Don't force the issue.

We kept the draft pick for 2013, which is the important one. If the team improves as a result, that 2014 pick won't sting as much because it'll be a low one.

If he needs an extra week to make sure he's healthy, give it to him.

- Scott

ryan
07-27-2012, 08:31 PM
I kind of wish he'd shave his hair again, looks more boss as a skinhead.

Klinsmann
07-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Got a few pics at practice today, he seems to be still injured

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8430/7679685272_9319d2f7b0_b.jpg

Klinsmann
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8009/7679683698_935b36c2d4_b.jpg

Klinsmann
07-30-2012, 06:42 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7246/7679673044_22561a8cef_b.jpg

T-boy
07-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Those pictures actually excite me more than anything has at TFC for a long time! I can't wait for his debut - could be interesting! He seems like the type of guy who really responds to fans. We need to get the man boiling over, and see what happens. We need to make him forget about the Whitecaps, and make him feel like he can be loved here too.

Gazza
07-31-2012, 09:33 AM
Maybe his new practice digs don't fit right, but he looks thin. Thought he would've gained weight with his injury.

I just hope we see more goals than arm flails. His negative body language can wear a young, impressionable team down.