PDA

View Full Version : Why It's Vital That The Timbers Army Sections Remain General Admission

Yeoman
07-19-2012, 07:11 PM
http://timbersarmy.org/why-its-vital-that-the-timbers-army-sections-remain-general-admission

WHY IT’S VITAL THAT THE TIMBERS ARMY SECTIONS REMAIN GENERAL ADMISSION Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2012 (http://timbersarmy.org/why-its-vital-that-the-timbers-army-sections-remain-general-admission) by Garrett Dittfurth (http://timbersarmy.org/author/garrett-dittfurth)
Think back to your first experiences in the Timbers Army.
Did you buy a ticket somewhere else in the stadium, look over to the North End, say to yourself “That looks like a lot more fun” and wander over to investigate?
Did a friend bring you to your first match and squeeze you in among other folks who introduced you to our songs and traditions?
Did you migrate from one section to another for your first couple of games trying to find a “home” with folks who fit your idea of what mental and barmy is all about?;
Or did you head to the 200 sections where the pace is a bit slower and elbow room is easier to find?
And once you found your “home” in the North End, how many friends did you bring along to share what is one of the most unique experiences in world soccer?
What is the one thing that all of those things have in common? General Admission.
General admission is part and parcel of who and what the Timbers Army is about: freedom, movement, sharing and spreading the love, and making new friends and connecting with old. And the 107ist board is unanimous in our assertion that general admission is essential to creating the atmosphere that has been the talk of MLS since our first moments in the league.
The Timbers Army grew out of a communal experience that has been fostered and fueled by the loose, democratic, and very-Portland vibe that comes with general admission seating. You’re part of a big tribe but have your own tent that pitches up in different places for different matches. You meet new people at every game. You’re Timbers Army and you have an infinity of brothers and sisters. And all of that would be at risk or outright finished if the North End were turned into just another assigned-seating area.
Many questions have recently been raised regarding why we have kept general admission vs. reserved seating in the Timbers Army section. And the leadership of 107ist has been working on ways to ease many of the frustrations that have arisen with the increased crowds in the MLS era.
There are also many questions to be asked about what would happen if the Timbers Army went to a reserved seating section. We’ve come up with a quick FAQ that we think might be of help when considering your position on general admission seating in the Timbers Army section.
Q: Where will I be able to get seats?
A: The lower bowl has 1,944 seats by our last count and the Timbers Army sections hold roughly 5,000. The Timbers front office has stated that if they do move to a reserved seating section those with priority will have first crack at the tickets. Priority is code for how long you’ve had your season tickets. To put this very plainly if you didn’t purchase your first season tickets until the MLS era you’ll likely be in the upper 200s with the ability to move down only coming when other season ticket holders in the lower 100 levels opt not to renew.
Q: Will I get to sit next to my friends?
A: Given that the section is completely sold out unless you purchased season tickets at the same time, the chances are slim.
Q: Will this eliminate lines to get into Jeld-Wen Field?
A: Yes. However there are consequences to this. Think about what the rest of the reserved seating sections in the stadium look like in the East, West, and South before the start of the match. Likely most of the North End would also show up at kick off or just after creating large holes in the crowd in the North End, directly affecting the Timbers Army’s ability to create the most intimidating home crowd in MLS.
Q: What happens if I get tickets next to someone I don’t like?
A: Given that the section is completely sold out your options will likely be very limited. This means the “choose your own adventure” aspect we have long enjoyed will be eliminated. Right now if you don’t like where you are seated you can move anywhere you want. That won’t be an option with reserved seating.
Q: Are there other general admission sections at other stadiums around the league?
A: Nothing to the scale of what we have in Portland, however most supporters groups are pushing for their sections to be changed to general admission because they feel that assigned seating hinders their ability to grow andbecause of many other reasons the 107ist board has cited such as personality differences, atmosphere and so on. In fact there are many groups in England pushing hard to have the all-seated stadiums converted back to safe standing terraces due to the effect it has had on the atmosphere of the stadium (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/jan/02/soundingoff). In fact simply Googling the phrase “effect on atmosphere of all-seater stadia” (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=effect+on+atmosphere+of+all-seater+stadia) is quite depressing.
Q:Why is the 107ist board concerned with this now?
A: We are receiving telling signs that the Timbers Front Office wants to move in this direction and feel it’s important that the Timbers Army as a whole understand all the implications of (cut) a vote for (cut) reserved seating. We don’t want what has happened in places like Toronto or Philadelphia to happen here and feel that not only is it dangerous to meddle with the most intimidating atmosphere in the league but see it as a poor business decision for the Timbers Front Office itself. Ask yourself this question. If your reserved seats were near the top of the 200 section how likely would you be to renew? If you had a chance to acquire tickets in the lower bowl how much of a premium price would you be willing to pay for those seats?
Q:How would assigned seating affect the actual game-day experience?
A: Many tickets to the lower bowl will be available only through scalpers on the internet or outside the stadium. They will charge a greater premium for those seats than they charge now, and they will sell them to fans not used to what the Timbers Army experience is like. Do you wave flags or hold up two-sticks? Do you stand the whole match? Do you jump and clap and sing for victory? How would you like to explain all of that to someone who purchased an assigned lower bowl ticket from a scalper and feels entitled to sit quietly and watch the match without noise or obstruction? How would you like less singing, less tifo, less Tetris, less mental, less barmy? That’s all in jeopardy with assigned seating.
Q: Will the prices change?
A: It’s common sense to assume the 100 level would be pricier than the 200 level.
Please consider all of this if you are asked about reserved seating in the TA section. It may seem a good idea in the short term, it may mean you don’t have to worry about getting in line hours before kickoff to be with your pals, but the overall atmosphere and experience of Timbers matches will be diminished. And if you wanted a lesser experience you could simply move to Seattle.
There are already 15,000-plus reserved seats at Jeld-Wen Field, and it’s a hell of a job to get the people who are in them to participate and support the team loud and strong for 90 minutes. There is no doubt that the imposition of assigned seating in the Timbers Army sections of the stadium will result in pockets of the North End becoming just as stale and complacent as the east and west stands.
DON’T LET THE TIMBERS ARMY TURN INTO THE
LIBRARY OR THE FREE-DONUT BRIGADE!!!
SAY NO TO RESERVED SEATING IN THE NORTH END!!!

#GA4TA

ryan
07-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Oh man what a travesty that would be.

MLS needs to get it's fuckin head out of it's ass and get the clubs to get their shit together.

KGH
07-19-2012, 08:02 PM
We don’t want what has happened in places like Toronto or Philadelphia to happen here

And there it is

Gazza
07-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Businesses will do whatever they feel is necessary to make themselves the most amount of money possible. If GA is better for business, than GA would stay.

AL-MO
07-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Its great that TA are getting ahead of this in an attempt to stop the change from happening. I support them 100%. Changing from GA to reserved seating sections will totally kill the atmosphere. It may not happen in 1 month or a year, but it will be a slow decline guaran-fucking-teed.

This article/posting does a good job in showing why the change will hurt TA. (including the mention of TFC and its support)

AL-MO
07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Businesses will do whatever they feel is necessary to make themselves the most amount of money possible. If GA is better for business, than GA would stay.

TA will ensure that changing to reserved seating is bad for business, not to worry.

Yeoman
07-19-2012, 09:23 PM
the TA has alot more say than anyone else in this league when it comes to what happens in their stadium
in a list that went out last year, they were actually ranked higher in sports influence in oregon than their own owner

AL-MO
07-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Why kill a good thing?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7442423048_ff45a9a05c_o.jpg

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2012, 10:09 PM
It's tough in light of the general dysfunction supporters in Toronto have had to focus their voices against with this team, but if the results ever come together and the team is no longer terrible, we should really consider focusing our efforts on making the north or south end GA. It would be unlikely (going from reserved seating to GA is definitely an uphill fight compared to preserving ticketing that is already GA), but definitely worth our energy to try.

- Scott

denime
07-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Only way that we will ever get GA anywhere in the stadium is when Argos move in,and we move out to our new stadium at Downsview park.

Fort York Redcoat
07-20-2012, 07:01 AM
Why kill a good thing?

Why else?

http://www.google.ca/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www.freeworldalliance.biz/Pictures/1DollarBill.jpg&sa=X&ei=vUcJUOGDF7HU6QGl7722Cg&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNE7hXecV1XOwAtgjmcmDE_M1jXHiw

Their fight will be eternal. They will be as vigilent as they can. I hope they endure but greed and power is a constant that has been around a lot longer than the TA's present size and success. This is their golden years and things will only get tougher. I hope they do as well.

Alixir
07-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Every stadium I have been to in Japan has general admission in the home and away supporter sections(average ticket price for home and away general admission in J-League ¥2200..about $2400 can)...I always found it laughable that people have to buy a seat in these sections in MLS. But then again MLS is and north American sports franchises in general are more about the $$$$ then the product and atmosphere.

Gazza
07-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Why kill a good thing?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7442423048_ff45a9a05c_o.jpg

If that good thing comes at the cost of profits, of course you kill it. All FO's are the same. Use the "fan experience" to draw attention to the club which justifies price gouging.

I wish TA luck and hope their efforts aren't for not. But i'm not holding my breath.

Code Red
07-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Every stadium I have been to in Japan has general admission in the home and away supporter sections(average ticket price for home and away general admission in J-League ¥2200..about $2400 can)...I always found it laughable that people have to buy a seat in these sections in MLS. But then again MLS is and north American sports franchises in general are more about the $$$$ then the product and atmosphere.

I agree with you Alixir. Japan has fantastic supporters. Urawa Red Diamonds, Kawasaki Frontale, Kashima Antlers, Nagoya Grampus, F.C. Tokyo and Gamba Osaka, all these clubs enjoy a terrific atmosphere. I've had the opportunity to witness a Tokyo Verdy and F.C. Tokyo match and the supporters really get behind their clubs. 90+ minutes of loud singing, giant flags, lots of jumping in the stands, etc.

Unfortunately MLS is quite a ways behind on support but I think the MLS/club execs prefer it that way. They want to see families in seats and if there is too much rowdiness, they start to panic. Hooliganism is one thing, but passionate support is another. TA are smart enough that they know that the elimination of their GA sections will run the support down to the ground. They know what's good for them.

ryan
07-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Corporations don't like unity amongst the populace. Age old divide and conquer tactics.

London
07-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Only way that we will ever get GA anywhere in the stadium is when Argos move in,and we move out to our new stadium at Downsview park.

Then let's get the move started ,

actually i feel that is the plan anyways ( to move out to downsview)

GA is good for support

Yeoman
07-21-2012, 12:00 PM
if you any of you twitter, the handle is ga4ta
pass it along any and all you know.

Code Red
07-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Corporations don't like unity amongst the populace. Age old divide and conquer tactics.

That's bang on, Ryan. Luckily for TA, they have the numbers to put up a good fight.

AL-MO
07-21-2012, 10:52 PM
If that good thing comes at the cost of profits, of course you kill it. All FO's are the same. Use the "fan experience" to draw attention to the club which justifies price gouging.

I wish TA luck and hope their efforts aren't for not. But i'm not holding my breath.

FO's always see the almighty dollar, and believe they can get more of it, whether they have the Ultras (hardcore supporters behind the net) or not. Its about having vision and realizing that the fans in the more expensive seats feed off of the cheaper, rowdier supporters behind the net. They are an essential part of the experience at a football match.

Other countries have rules about providing standing room, GA sections in each stadium.

Such as this one!

http://www.football-pictures.net/data/media/276/Signal_Iduna_Park_Stadions.jpg

Code Red
07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
FO's always see the almighty dollar, and believe they can get more of it, whether they have the Ultras (hardcore supporters behind the net) or not. Its about having vision and realizing that the fans in the more expensive seats feed off of the cheaper, rowdier supporters behind the net. They are an essential part of the experience at a football match.

Other countries have rules about providing standing room, GA sections in each stadium.

Such as this one!

That's Borussia Dortmund isn't it? Easily one of the best GA sections in the world.

AL-MO
07-30-2012, 04:56 PM
That's Borussia Dortmund isn't it? Easily one of the best GA sections in the world.

Yes it is. This section is GA and holds more than our entire stadium. Yet somehow they manage it.

Code Red
07-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes it is. This section is GA and holds more than our entire stadium. Yet somehow they manage it.

Absolutely. How you seen some of their TIFOs? :eek6:

jabbronies
07-30-2012, 06:23 PM

Such as this one!

Bang on

AL-MO
07-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Absolutely. How you seen some of their TIFOs? :eek6:

Regularly 24,454 fans on the famous terrace called Südtribüne, fill the largest still existing standing area in European football.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westfalenstadion#cite_note-5)[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westfalenstadion#cite_note-Gelbe-6) Famous for the intense atmosphere it breeds, the south terrace has been nicknamed "Yellow Wall".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westfalenstadion

And yeah they do some great displays. Their group is called "The Unity".

zu2tinYWw8o&feature=related

dqp6KTuWJU0&feature=related

Code Red
07-31-2012, 05:49 PM
^

Thing of beauty those TIFOs are. Surely for our 10 Year Anniversary we can come up with something remotely close? :lol: