PDA

View Full Version : PRE/IN/POST GAME Thread-TFC vs Colorado ,July 18 - Wed 7:00 PM

Pages : [1] 2

denime
07-15-2012, 10:58 PM
-------------------Kocic-------------------

Henry----Eckersley----Emory----Morgan

------------------Frings--------------------

Dunfield-----------------------Lambe

------------------Avila---------------------

------Johnson---------Silva-------

Subs: Stinson,Williams, Maund,Wiedeman (aka the best finisher in modern times), Roberts

Last game boys played for Koef,this one they will play for supporters.

3-1 TFC

Greatest Ripoff
07-15-2012, 11:20 PM
I believe Dunfield is suspended for this game due to accumulation of yellow cards.

Ajax TFC
07-16-2012, 12:16 AM
-------------------Kocic-------------------

I really wish we would line up like that. I think that even if we fielded that lineup it would be a flat four midfield with Lambe on the right and Avila on the left.
Personally I think we should just go with a single striker formation.

Ajax TFC
07-16-2012, 12:27 AM
I believe Dunfield is suspended for this game due to accumulation of yellow cards.
I looked at MLS stats and it says that he only has three yellow cards. Frings, Johnson and Morgan are all on four

iy12l
07-16-2012, 12:52 AM
----------Kocic--------------
-Ecks-Henry-Emory-Morgan-
-------Hall-Frings-----------
----Lambe-Silva-Avila-------
---------Johnson-----------

OgtheDim
07-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Wiedeman starting is a litmus test. If he does, well...

Stouffville_RPB
07-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Wheetabix is going to start. Watch.

1-0 Colorado

ryan
07-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Mariner is probably protesting at Garber's office right now if true. We might have to forfeit the game if Terry can't suit up.

Greatest Ripoff
07-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I looked at MLS stats and it says that he only has three yellow cards. Frings, Johnson and Morgan are all on four

Sorry I must have it heard wrong. I thought announcers said at the beginning that Dunfield was on 4 yellow cards.

Auzzy
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Indeed, Dunfield not yet suspended: http://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-disciplinary-summary

(The above has not yet been updated after this weekend it seems; however, Dunfield was not on 4 cards before the game, so the yellow against NE won't have an impact yet.)

AmherstNY_TFC
07-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I like the lineup posted at the top of the thread.

2-1 TFC. Johnson and Dunfield for the Reds.

Just as the team are making progress, Danny K gets injured.

The lesson: God hates Toronto sports teams.

ManUtd4ever
07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
]-------------------Kocic-------------------

[/B]

I like it.

reggie
07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
i think wynne is due to get a handball in the box this game.dunfield will score on the pk on the fifth min and we will bunker down for 85 min.
dunfield will get a dp contract.

ryan
07-16-2012, 03:48 PM
"We all dream of a team of Terry D's,
A team of Terry D's,
A team of Terry D's.."

LesH
07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
We got the whole world in our hands,
We got the whole wide world in our hands,
We got TerryD on our team!

We got TerryD on the field!

'Cause Terry Dunfield is our man!

TerryD blocks! (1)
TerryD slides! (2)
TerryD fights! (3)
TerryD shots! (4)
Oh, yeah, TerryD is our man! (5)

---------------------------

1,2,3,4 - shouted
5 - same melody like every last line from the first 3 stanzas.

T-boy
07-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I want a 3-0 win and all the players wearing "get well soon danny" t-shirts to show for every goal scored.

Richard
07-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I vote for Aceval as lone striker, anyone else with me?

khso11
07-16-2012, 06:25 PM
next game..

DANNY! DANNNYYY KOOOOEF!!
DANNY! DANNNYYY KOOOOFFFF!!

i wanna hear this.

lets make it work this time!!! Maybe a certain game time that we all do it together? (ex. 23:13 for DD)

Ajax TFC
07-16-2012, 07:33 PM
lets make it work this time!!! Maybe a certain game time that we all do it together? (ex. 23:13 for DD)
what time did he go down injured?

Edit: 36:54 is the exact time that the ACL went. I think it should be sung throughout the 37th minute. or in the 14th minute (the number he wears)
AND before the game starts.

__wowza
07-16-2012, 11:53 PM
what time did he go down injured?

Edit: 36:54 is the exact time that the ACL went. I think it should be sung throughout the 37th minute. or in the 14th minute (the number he wears)
AND before the game starts.

im down with either of these.

Gazza
07-17-2012, 09:45 AM
I want to hear some Koef love tomorrow night.

Hopefully Dunny can put the team on his back and we can ride him to victory!

Fort York Redcoat
07-17-2012, 10:07 AM
/E5gNYVia2rg

He's scoring like a fool...
He's Danny Koev....

Danny, Danny Koev...
Danny, Danny Koev...

(Chop optional)

And let's NOT do it at 14.

Canary10
07-17-2012, 10:13 AM
When I look at the players we have available for this game, I fear it'll be a shit show. With Koevermans out, I can see that last 60 minutes of the New England game being our future until we at least get some other players in team. We have no one up front, our mid is thin as helll. If we could squeak out a 0-0 draw I'd call that a victory. Why did TFC ship so many players out during a period of fixture congestion with no one to replace any of them?

jloome
07-17-2012, 11:00 AM
When I look at the players we have available for this game, I fear it'll be a shit show. With Koevermans out, I can see that last 60 minutes of the New England game being our future until we at least get some other players in team. We have no one up front, our mid is thin as helll. If we could squeak out a 0-0 draw I'd call that a victory. Why did TFC ship so many players out during a period of fixture congestion with no one to replace any of them?

It's a Mo special, moving guys before you've confirmed signings. Hopefully Mariner does a better job of closing the deal, as the marketplace used Mo like its Bitch to ramp up transfer fees on mediocre players.

Beach_Red
07-17-2012, 11:11 AM
It's a Mo special, moving guys before you've confirmed signings. Hopefully Mariner does a better job of closing the deal, as the marketplace used Mo like its Bitch to ramp up transfer fees on mediocre players.

It's funny, I just posted in another thread how when it started TFC handed over all player aquisition to a single agency (remember First Wave?), the same agency that repped Mo (and the other original coaches) and most of the players TFC signed, so maybe that ramping up wasn't such an accident....

Ultra & Proud
07-17-2012, 03:27 PM
With Koevermans out, I can see that last 60 minutes of the New England game being our future until we at least get some other players in team.

I like how when most people get on TFC for being thin or having inadequate players, right before a home match, they always mention a particularly poor period of play in our most recent road WINS or DRAWS as if that has some sort of bearing on how we perform at home under managers who aren't named after one of the four seasons. It's almost like we've never looked poor in road matches before and got the results right? That's what I thought.

Canary10
07-17-2012, 03:59 PM
I like how when most people get on TFC for being thin or having inadequate players, right before a home match, they always mention a particularly poor period of play in our most recent road WINS or DRAWS as if that has some sort of bearing on how we perform at home under managers who aren't named after one of the four seasons. It's almost like we've never looked poor in road matches before and got the results right? That's what I thought.

I was just commenting on how thin the bench was Saturday after a flurry of players have left and no one really coming in and replacing them. And now Koevermans is gone too. We need some players coming back asap.

kcdolish
07-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Even though Koevs had been playing like a beastly rock star and plays a very important role on the field whenever he's on the field its important to recognize that we won the last two games without DK scoring. Sure we need help but the current squad CAN score without him.

ManUtd4ever
07-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Until a quality striker is acquired to replace Koevs, it will primarily be up to the likes of Johnson, Silva, and Lambe to pick up the slack offensively. Hopefully, they are up to the task.

Ajax TFC
07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Even though Koevs had been playing like a beastly rock star and plays a very important role on the field whenever he's on the field its important to recognize that we won the last two games without DK scoring. Sure we need help but the current squad CAN score without him.
you really think that Koevermans' importance is limited to the goals he scored? It wasn't him who perfectly layed the ball into Silva's path to score our only goal in our last game?

OgtheDim
07-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Silva confirmed as the second striker. http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/07/17/luis-silva-july-17-2012

supersaint
07-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Doesnt matter how we do against Colorado, the anti Mariner gang will skew the result to suit their own agenda. Mariner is doing a credible job with the limited resources that he has. I liked Winter and supported him one hundred percent, because I support TFC. I now support our current gaffer one hundred percent. So I just wish some of you tossers would get on board supporting our team instead of being so friggin negative. Think you are such great supporters, well in my eyes a lot of the posters on this site are an embarressment. Lets give the guy a chance, and if the results are not there then lets look ahead. I love how you all seem to think you know what is better for the club than guys like Mariner, DeKlerk etc, I bet half of you are not even coaching house league, yet you are all experts on how to run an MLS team. WHAT A JOKE

OgtheDim
07-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Doesnt matter how we do against Colorado, the anti Mariner gang will skew the result to suit their own agenda. Mariner is doing a credible job with the limited resources that he has. I liked Winter and supported him one hundred percent, because I support TFC. I now support our current gaffer one hundred percent. So I just wish some of you tossers would get on board supporting our team instead of being so friggin negative. Think you are such great supporters, well in my eyes a lot of the posters on this site are an embarressment. Lets give the guy a chance, and if the results are not there then lets look ahead. I love how you all seem to think you know what is better for the club than guys like Mariner, DeKlerk etc, I bet half of you are not even coaching house league, yet you are all experts on how to run an MLS team. WHAT A JOKE

Umm.....this is the internet.

We all think we know better then the next person. :fluffy:

That and just because you support the team your way, with 100% support for the manager no matter what, does not mean those of us who do not 100% support the manager support the team less.

There is no loyalty test beyond the team.

Luanda
07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
doesnt matter how we do against colorado, the anti mariner gang will skew the result to suit their own agenda. Mariner is doing a credible job with the limited resources that he has. I liked winter and supported him one hundred percent, because i support tfc. I now support our current gaffer one hundred percent. So i just wish some of you tossers would get on board supporting our team instead of being so friggin negative. Think you are such great supporters, well in my eyes a lot of the posters on this site are an embarressment. Lets give the guy a chance, and if the results are not there then lets look ahead. I love how you all seem to think you know what is better for the club than guys like mariner, deklerk etc, i bet half of you are not even coaching house league, yet you are all experts on how to run an mls team. What a joke

thank you!

Luanda
07-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Umm.....this is the internet.

We all think we know better then the next person. :fluffy:

That and just because you support the team your way, with 100% support for the manager no matter what, does not mean those of us who do not 100% support the manager support the team less.

There is no loyalty test beyond the team.

I guess that because it is the internet, one can then say anything about anything. I DO NOT THINK SO.

OgtheDim
07-17-2012, 08:56 PM
I guess that because it is the internet, one can then say anything about anything. I DO NOT THINK SO.

There's a Voltaire quote about this somewhere.....

Within the boundaries of libel law, and the accepted modes of behaviour and expectations set up by the forum owners and moderators, yes one can say anything about anything.

Its also possible to come on and tell people off for doing so, within those strictures.

That and I think you'll find demanding people support a manager come hell or high water does not go over very well in most of the world.

Stouffville_RPB
07-17-2012, 09:09 PM
TFC will hit the post in the first half. Game will be 0-0 in the 74th minute when Wynne handles the ball. The ensuing TFC ok is taken by Johnson, trying to get the monkey off his back, who manages to square it right to the keeper. Paul Mariner will jump up and down the touch line like the entertainment at a 5 year olds birthday party. Conor Casey will out muscle Emory, the Dunfield of the defense, in the 87th and put it past Kocic (who was outstanding all game).

supersaint
07-17-2012, 10:04 PM
There's a Voltaire quote about this somewhere.....

Within the boundaries of libel law, and the accepted modes of behaviour and expectations set up by the forum owners and moderators, yes one can say anything about anything.

Its also possible to come on and tell people off for doing so, within those strictures.

That and I think you'll find demanding people support a manager come hell or high water does not go over very well in most of the world.

Well, Og, I received a threatening letter from a moderator because my comments dared to put down those who refuse to support our manager regardless of results. Where exactly did I say to support our manager come hell or highwater, I said lets give the guy a chance and we can see where we stand at the end of the season. Then again, I have had four season seats since day one in sec 106 so maybe I do support come hell or high water. Do I want success, absolutely, do I want attractive football, yeah, it would be nice, but if Mariner can eke out some results just now, until reinforcements come in then all the power to him. Is there any manager that we could afford that could turn this squad into a four three three majestic playing, three goals a game scoring team? So, I do not DEMAND supporting a manager come hell or highwater, but I believe in supporting a a manager who is getting some ok results with limited resources. And if these results do not continue, then I would suggest we reevaluate. And I stand behind my comment that most of the detractors have no coaching experience. Do you agree with that comment? Then again it is probably irrelevant as it this post will probably get me banned. One last comment, no one is a bigger booster of the growth of the game in Canada than me. I love how the fan base is growing across North America. The negativity gets a bit much though.

OgtheDim
07-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I agree on the negativity.

Roll on tomorrow night.

Phil
07-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Well, Og, I received a threatening letter from a moderator because my comments dared to put down those who refuse to support our manager regardless of results. Where exactly did I say to support our manager come hell or highwater, I said lets give the guy a chance and we can see where we stand at the end of the season. Then again, I have had four season seats since day one in sec 106 so maybe I do support come hell or high water. Do I want success, absolutely, do I want attractive football, yeah, it would be nice, but if Mariner can eke out some results just now, until reinforcements come in then all the power to him. Is there any manager that we could afford that could turn this squad into a four three three majestic playing, three goals a game scoring team? So, I do not DEMAND supporting a manager come hell or highwater, but I believe in supporting a a manager who is getting some ok results with limited resources. And if these results do not continue, then I would suggest we reevaluate. And I stand behind my comment that most of the detractors have no coaching experience. Do you agree with that comment? Then again it is probably irrelevant as it this post will probably get me banned. One last comment, no one is a bigger booster of the growth of the game in Canada than me. I love how the fan base is growing across North America. The negativity gets a bit much though.

Sounds good to me. Keep fighting, lets leave the politics to elsewhere and look at what we have.

Lets just keep the generalizations with the broad brush aside.

boozilla
07-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Time to get Zen.
Personally, I'm looking forward to a warm summer night mid-week game.

ensco
07-18-2012, 04:45 AM
Maybe Hunter Freeman will put one in his own net with his head.

Also I want to see Nane Joseph get on the pitch!

denime
07-18-2012, 05:40 AM
TFC STARTING XI
Kocic; Henry, Eckersley, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Dunfield, Frings, Avila; Silva, Johnson

CoachGT
07-18-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm expecting a draw on this one - I sincerely hope that Colorado doesn't win for the first time here. A 0-0 would be a solid result for us.

I just can't see where goals are coming from.

And one day soon I hope we see some more players.......

Technorgasm
07-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Colorado was the opponent when I brought my Fave UK cousin to a TFC game.
WE won 3-1 (even Rohan Ricjkets scored)
is still my favorite memory of BMO.

Technorgasm
07-18-2012, 08:02 AM

best post of the month.

I am taking a lot of flak these days too.

seems the doom mongers are winning.

keep in mind though, this is the internet, and this is TORONTO.
People here make a career of complaining. . . .
I actually have some metrics to prove that when toronto sports teams are doing well, the financial success of the team suffers. . akak LESS to complain about.

stop the minging, while we are consitently putting points up. . thats all I am saying.
Hope we stuff Colorado, just to make the haters eat a sliver of humble pie. . . or crow.. or pie WITH a side of crow. .
or a pie/crow gumbo. .
you get the jist./

WALK ON.

Canary10
07-18-2012, 08:18 AM

There's another skill Danny has which people are forgetting: holding up the ball. Whenever he's not on the pitch, and this is the case under both Mariner and Winter, we have trouble holding possession. If we don't have a player that can collect and hold balls booted up, we're going to be under more sustained pressure at the back. Johnson isn't very good at that. We'll see about Silva.

__wowza
07-18-2012, 08:20 AM
TFC STARTING XI
Kocic; Henry, Eckersley, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Dunfield, Frings, Avila; Silva, Johnson

is it weird that this lineup doesn't scare me as much as it used to?

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that's two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that's called a winning streak. It has happened before..."
- Lou Brown (Major League II)

Well, Og, I received a threatening letter from a moderator because my comments dared to put down those who refuse to support our manager regardless of results. Where exactly did I say to support our manager come hell or highwater, I said lets give the guy a chance and we can see where we stand at the end of the season. Then again, I have had four season seats since day one in sec 106 so maybe I do support come hell or high water. Do I want success, absolutely, do I want attractive football, yeah, it would be nice, but if Mariner can eke out some results just now, until reinforcements come in then all the power to him. Is there any manager that we could afford that could turn this squad into a four three three majestic playing, three goals a game scoring team? So, I do not DEMAND supporting a manager come hell or highwater, but I believe in supporting a a manager who is getting some ok results with limited resources.

the negativity gets everyone at times. we've all had our "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?" post, and i think we've all been afforded that right after the past six seasons of no plan and not making the playoffs. the "threatening letter" you received was most likely a mod citing the rules to you and asking you to stop it, these are standard whenever someone feels that a poster has crossed or been on the verge of crossing a line. it's no big deal and hardly threatening, at least not from when i remember being infracted.

personally, im not "anti-marnier" per say, as much as i was "pro-winter". i didn't enjoy the losing results, but i enjoyed watching the team a whole lot more. the CCL games we had under winter were some of the best matches (performance, AND enjoyment wise) i've seen this club put on. i was actually blown away, it's like i was watching another team and that swayed me. i wanted him to succeed. i wanted to see us perform like that every week. fuck me, i think we got a reputation as a giant killer that tournament. we were actually dangerous, but i digress.. i haven't seen that from mariner, when i do i'll change my outlook on him. it's not that i'm against him as much as i need time to warm up to him. i didn't warm up to winter instantly either.

having said that, the best way to silence critics is to pick them apart piece by piece. if people are claiming that this is an ugly style that won't get long term results, playoffs, playoff or CCL wins, then chip those criticisms away bit-by-bit, if all we're left with is an ugly style that gets long term results.. well.. if people aren't happy with that then we got a problem.

TOBOR !
07-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Punctuation. Let's have more of it.

Thicker skin. Get some.

My work here is done.

Macksam
07-18-2012, 09:55 AM
----------Kocic--------------
-Ecks-Henry-Emory-Morgan-
-------Hall-Frings-----------
----Lambe-Silva-Avila-------
---------Johnson-----------

I agree with this back four. Can somebody tell Mariner that Ecks is a RB and Henry is a CB. I'm wondering why he is so confused over this. They both look uncomfortable and make a lot of mistakes when playing the other's position.

T-boy
07-18-2012, 10:06 AM
I agree with this back four. Can somebody tell Mariner that Ecks is a RB and Henry is a CB. I'm wondering why he is so confused over this. They both look uncomfortable and make a lot of mistakes when playing the other's position.

I'm sure Mariner just wants his "most senior" two defenders at CB. (even though they are both still extremely inexperienced on the whole!).

cmonyoureds
07-18-2012, 10:46 AM

I'll give him credit for getting some points.

I won't give him a pass with a comment like this though. "Limited resources"???? Resources WAS HIS JOB leading up to this newer and improved mess he's in with lack of selection. I'm not sure that's skewing the facts.

As for the second bold type - Seeing as I/we pay the wages of these guys, kinda gives us a right to give them a performance review, doesn't it? If you disagree with that concept, I'd encourage you to bring it up during your next secular employment review. :drinking:

DangerRed
07-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Has it struck anyone else how horribly mismanaged this team is given that the absence or departure of one or two players essentially makes the squad unworkable? I'm not even talking about not having GOOD players as backups per se, I'm talking about having ANY backup players at all in some cases! Wild.

Blizzard
07-18-2012, 11:03 AM

I won't give him a pass with a comment like this though. "Limited resources"???? Resources WAS HIS JOB leading up to this newer and improved mess he's in with lack of selection. I'm not sure that's skewing the facts.

As for the second bold type - Seeing as I/we pay the wages of these guys, kinda gives us a right to give them a performance review, doesn't it? If you disagree with that concept, I'd encourage you to bring it up during your next secular employment review. :drinking:

Agreed unless from now on one has to have a coaching licence to be critical of Paul Mariner.

ag futbol
07-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Has it struck anyone else how horribly mismanaged this team is given that the absence or departure of one or two players essentially makes the squad unworkable? I'm not even talking about not having GOOD players as backups per se, I'm talking about having ANY backup players at all in some cases! Wild.
Oh that's crossed my mind on several occasions.

It also bothers me that we can't just drop to a 4-2-3-1 to make use of the extra midfielders and wide players we have as opposed to playing two players up front, neither of which are intended for their roles.

__wowza
07-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Punctuation. Let's have more of it.

no.:hump:

T-boy
07-18-2012, 11:50 AM

I personally doubt it was Mariner's choice to bring Frings and Koev's to the team. I love them both, but having 3 DP's including JDG is taking up a massive amount of cap space. I'm pretty sure Frings and Koev's were both Winter's guys - I can see him having the connections to both players. And this is the problem with having DP's - it really makes the rest of your squad limited. And now we have Koev's out and yet we still have to cover his $335K in the cap, we are fairly screwed! If you take $335k out of any MLS team it really limits your squad. The MLS rules are clearly a little messed up :( Surely even the MLS wouldn't want any team to be $335k behind cap space, would they?

Greatest Ripoff
07-18-2012, 11:55 AM

It also bothers me that we can't just drop to a 4-2-3-1 to make use of the extra midfielders and wide players we have as opposed to playing two players up front, neither of which are intended for their roles.

More than anything, I think the thing that bothers me the most is stubbornness to continually play players out of position rather than slightly change your formation. And this isn't just a Mariner. The last coach seemed very inflexible as well.

ManUtd4ever
07-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Paul Mariner's mantra has been to let the players at his disposal dictate the system. We'll see what he comes up with until he acquires reinforcements for the roster.

I would personally prefer a shift back to a 4-2-3-1 as well, with Frings and Dunfield as the holding mids, Silva, Avila, and Lambe as the attacking mids, and Johnson as the lone striker. I think Mariner will stick with either a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-1-2 though.

In any case, as long as the team continues to grind out results, I'll give Mariner the benefit of the doubt.

Greatest Ripoff
07-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Paul Mariner's mantra has been to let the players at his disposal dictate the system.

Really? I find this to be the opposite. Henry played at right back, Eckersley played at CB, De Guzman, Silva and Avila all played as wide midfielders while Soolsma and Plata sit on the bench, Soolsma brought on to play as a striker and now Silva being played as a striker. To me it has been that the players are being moved to fit his system rather than letting the players at his disposal dictate the system.

ManUtd4ever
07-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Really? I find this to be the opposite. Henry played at right back, Eckersley played at CB, De Guzman, Silva and Avila all played as wide midfielders while Soolsma and Plata sit on the bench, Soolsma brought on to play as a striker and now Silva being played as a striker. To me it has been that the players are being moved to fit his system rather than letting the players at his disposal dictate the system.

I said that was his mantra, because he was quoted as such. I didn't say I agreed with all of his roster decisions, as the rest of my post suggests.

Nonetheless, he has achieved a modicum of success with his decisions as of late, despite the fact that you and I, or anybody else would utilize a different approach. Therefore, he deserves the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Beach_Red
07-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Paul Mariner's mantra has been to let the players at his disposal dictate the system. We'll see what he comes up with until he acquires reinforcements for the roster.

I would personally prefer a shift back to a 4-2-3-1 as well, with Frings and Dunfield as the holding mids, Silva, Avila, and Lambe as the attacking mids, and Johnson as the lone striker. I think Mariner will stick with either a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-1-2 though.

In any case, as long as the team continues to grind out results, I'll give Mariner the benefit of the doubt.

What some people seem worried about is that he's going after a particular type of player that play a style of game they don't like. But really, we don't actually know what players are available to TFC and at what cost. We often talk here as though we could build any team we want and have made a stylistic choice. But we don't really know what the immediate choices are.

You're right, I think, we'll see what he comes up with but in the meantime it's much better to be grinding out some results. As we will tonight, 2-1.

supersaint
07-18-2012, 12:57 PM
I agree on the negativity.

Roll on tomorrow night.

Cheers....we have our hands full with Colorado tonight, and the team needs our backing.

T-boy
07-18-2012, 01:06 PM

I think if Mariner tried to change the whole system and formation between the weekend game and tonight, it would be a disaster. TFC have 1.5 training sessions between games and to try and change everything just wouldn't be enough time. Slotting Silva into Koev's is a lot easier than changing the whole formation and everybody else' roll!

supersaint
07-18-2012, 01:14 PM
is it weird that this lineup doesn't scare me as much as it used to?

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that's two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that's called a winning streak. It has happened before..."
- Lou Brown (Major League II)

the negativity gets everyone at times. we've all had our "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?" post, and i think we've all been afforded that right after the past six seasons of no plan and not making the playoffs. the "threatening letter" you received was most likely a mod citing the rules to you and asking you to stop it, these are standard whenever someone feels that a poster has crossed or been on the verge of crossing a line. it's no big deal and hardly threatening, at least not from when i remember being infracted.

personally, im not "anti-marnier" per say, as much as i was "pro-winter". i didn't enjoy the losing results, but i enjoyed watching the team a whole lot more. the CCL games we had under winter were some of the best matches (performance, AND enjoyment wise) i've seen this club put on. i was actually blown away, it's like i was watching another team and that swayed me. i wanted him to succeed. i wanted to see us perform like that every week. fuck me, i think we got a reputation as a giant killer that tournament. we were actually dangerous, but i digress.. i haven't seen that from mariner, when i do i'll change my outlook on him. it's not that i'm against him as much as i need time to warm up to him. i didn't warm up to winter instantly either.

having said that, the best way to silence critics is to pick them apart piece by piece. if people are claiming that this is an ugly style that won't get long term results, playoffs, playoff or CCL wins, then chip those criticisms away bit-by-bit, if all we're left with is an ugly style that gets long term results.. well.. if people aren't happy with that then we got a problem.
Yeah, I was filled with optimism at the start of this season, hell I travelled down to preseason in Orlando, ok, so I wanted to see Mickey too, but i that Galaxy game was incredible. We were playing good football, and it is hard to believe that we then went on to lose so many games in the league. There was just something fundamentally wrong, and I still not sure what it was, whether the players could not adapt to 4 3 3 or other teams spotted our weaknesses and I suppose our back four was really playing poorly. I was sorry to see Winter go, but I had lost faith in his ability to produce a winner, I would have had no problem giving him until the end of the season. I am not particularly a Mariner fan, but I will give him a chance. We have been scoring some goals and getting some results. The style of play is not overly attractive, still a lot better than Preki ball, but I hope that new signings will change that. Time will tell, but I will back Mariner until he shows me that he cannot get the job done, and then I will be online with others about finding another gaffer. We are all sick of being the joke of the league, esp when Vancouver can be more successful than us, in such a short period of time.

maxpower
07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm just happy this game wasn't scheduled for 1pm. I feel really bad for the Red Bulls, Chicago, Chivas and Portland fans. Some seriously messed up scheduling in this league. Does anyone know why they did this?

07-18-2012, 01:57 PM
I know this is on everyone's radar, and I'm sure the club is close to signing some new players. You've heard how we've failed to dress 18 the past two games.

If we only dress 16 tonight, and if RJ, Frings and Morgan pick up yellows, we're down to 13 players for our next league match (though we'll have 10 days to adjust/recover). 13. Including the backup keeper.

It's getting to be an issue, I think.

16 players likely to dress (dressed last game)
Avila, Dunfield, Eckersley, Emory, Frings, Henry, Johnson, Kocic, Lambe, Maund, Morgan, Roberts, Silva, Stinson, Wiedeman, Williams

3 not dressed last week
Aceval, Cordon, Makubuya

6 injured
no - Koevermans, Frei, Harden
unlikely - Cann, Hall, Lindsay

Greatest Ripoff
07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
3 not dressed last week
Aceval, Cordon, Makubuya

6 injured
no - Koevermans, Frei, Harden
unlikely - Cann, Hall, Lindsay

Doea anyone know what is up with Cordon and Makubuya? They have both played in the MLS but can't Mariner would rather leave the bench empty at home then dress them? Is there any reason for this?

Also, Lindsay was spotted playing with the reserves the other week. Not sure if he has played enough to get into an MLS match but could be an option.

Greatest Ripoff
07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
I think if Mariner tried to change the whole system and formation between the weekend game and tonight, it would be a disaster. TFC have 1.5 training sessions between games and to try and change everything just wouldn't be enough time. Slotting Silva into Koev's is a lot easier than changing the whole formation and everybody else' roll!

Did he do the exact same thing to roster less than a month ago, 'changing the whole formation and everybody else' roll'? What is more detrimental, playing a system that everyone was playing a month and half ago or playing the majority of team out of position to keep the same system that was introduced a month and half ago?

T-boy
07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Did he do the exact same thing to roster less than a month ago, 'changing the whole formation and everybody else' roll'? What is more detrimental, playing a system that everyone was playing a month and half ago or playing the majority of team out of position to keep the same system that was introduced a month and half ago?

At least he had the international break to work with the team at that time. Now he has a day and a half!

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 02:16 PM

It also bothers me that we can't just drop to a 4-2-3-1 to make use of the extra midfielders and wide players we had as opposed to playing two players up front, neither of which are intended for their roles.
FYP.
4-2-3-1 would have worked well if we hadn't gotten rid of three of our midfielders/wide players. Right now we only just have enough midfielders to do that formation, and even then you need to use Dunfield in one of the holding roles. The only other option is to put Morgan on the left wing and Avila in a holding role

ag futbol
07-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Still works ok IMO.

----------------RJ--------------------------
Avila------------Silva--------------Lambe
-------Frings--------Dunny----------------
Morgan---Emory----Ecks--------Henry
------------------Kocic-----------------------

khso11
07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
everyone remember, we are doing the Danny Koef chant at the begining and 37' into the game

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-18-2012, 04:04 PM
2-0 us!

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 05:43 PM

substitutes: Roberts; Williams, Maund, Stinson, Cordon, Wiedeman, Makubuya .

Brooker
07-18-2012, 05:51 PM

Jesus thats thin.

calitfcfan
07-18-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm just happy this game wasn't scheduled for 1pm. I feel really bad for the Red Bulls, Chicago, Chivas and Portland fans. Some seriously messed up scheduling in this league. Does anyone know why they did this?

NYRB and CHV both did it for the kids.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/post/thierry-henry-scores-superb-goal-in-new-york-red-bulls-1-0-victory-over-chicago-fire-in-mls-afternoon-match/2012/07/18/gJQAbtLHuW_blog.html

http://www.thegoatparade.com/2012/7/18/3166483/preview-chivas-usa-vs-portland-timbers-july-18-2012

AlanO
07-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Oh man...

flatpicker
07-18-2012, 05:57 PM
It's like a ghost town in the stadium right now.
I thought maybe I had the start time wrong.
Then I remembered that the whole city it torn apart right now and TTC is a mess.

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 06:04 PM
fuck it's about time that Makabuya and Cordon got show at least minimal respect and made it to the bench despite having the option of just not filling the bench

Yohan
07-18-2012, 06:04 PM
No dobbers and a full subs bench!

Parkdale
07-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Time to get Zen.

yep. keep it zen fellas.

I just finished work, and am watching the stream. missing the match, but it was worth it.

so let see how this game unfolds.

first observation - KIA seems to be the primo sponsor. They are everywhere

iy12l
07-18-2012, 06:10 PM
penalty!

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 06:10 PM
penalty

iy12l
07-18-2012, 06:11 PM
ffs Johnson!!!!

Brooker
Why did johnson take it?!??! Of all the people! FRINGS!!!

Dkolish3
Fuck! Why give it to Johnson!

OgtheDim
Johnson is .........:facepalm:

iy12l
Johnson is worse the barrett

ag futbol
07-18-2012, 06:12 PM
oh man.... I want him to break his slump... but no way I send him up to the spot to take that.

Parkdale
that was bonkers. I have no idea how i should feel about that

iy12l
frings should of took that

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 06:13 PM
After all this time Lindsay is listed as questionable glad to see he's almost ready to come back

Jeffro
07-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Interesting to see Silva getting chances and doing well the last couple games. Anybody remember Winter saying he could be one of the rookie of the year candidates? Why did he never really give him a chance?

Brooker
07-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Again Johnson...

DoubleUp
07-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Oh boy ! get the gasoline and the efergies.

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Is there a stream beyond justin.tv? The Colorado guys are in their studio back in Denver and not even watching the game.

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Is there a stream beyond justin.tv? The Colorado guys are in their studio back in Denver and not even watching the game.

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/131204/3/watch-toronto-fc-vs-colorado-rapids.html

Yes there is

Gazza
07-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Frings has to step up and take that away from Johnson. Captain and big money maker.

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Ugh...both firstrow also Denver seated guys....

Parkdale
07-18-2012, 06:20 PM
random observation: that colorado kit would look really nice with red instead of burgundy. Our 3rd kit could have looked like that, instead of like bell bottoms.

anyway....

Parkdale
07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
streaming SN here: http://lsh.lshunter.tv/static/popups/10226302775740.html

lots of popups to close, but it works
(http://lsh.lshunter.tv/static/popups/10226302775740.html)

Parkdale
07-18-2012, 06:28 PM
yeah, playing more forward than I was thinking in the sans-koves era. I hope they can stay aggressive

iy12l
07-18-2012, 06:30 PM
man we suck

Relja
07-18-2012, 06:31 PM
well fuck......

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 06:31 PM
damn it well It's worth pointing out that last 3 games Colorado went up 1-0 and then lost

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Ewww.......Henry should have done better to make him work harder for that.

Parkdale
07-18-2012, 06:34 PM
haha... would it be wrong to sing 'T-O'Reject' ?

(yes, very much so)

and here come the booos....

iy12l
07-18-2012, 06:34 PM
wtf johnson.... silva was open

ag futbol
07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Man, if there is one other major knock on RJ it's that he just DOES NOT release that through ball when he needs to. He's done that more than a few times.

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Didn't someone here predict that Johnson would miss a PK in the game?

Parkdale
07-18-2012, 06:42 PM
oh man..... Johnson is like Barrett meets Cunny. I really hope he can break this slump - he's better than that

gracos
07-18-2012, 06:43 PM
it all comes down to the ABC's and we need to forget them, and figure out numbers

iy12l
07-18-2012, 06:43 PM
there is no point in marking johnson because he will always miss

gracos
07-18-2012, 06:46 PM
and out of curiousity, why is Liverpool coming to Toronto and playing TFC, we know how that one ends, and it wont be good for us

Jeffro
07-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Avila, Silva and Lambe are linking up pretty well, Johnson's trying to do too much. I think we've got at least a goal in us.

AlanO
07-18-2012, 06:48 PM
WTF Johnson?

Silva's been impressive though. Good hold up play and nice passes.

Colorado's there for the taking.

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Colorado's defence can be had.

iy12l
07-18-2012, 06:50 PM
It was Johnson that got Winter fired for making his team look so bad. Johnson missed like 7 sitters which could of made that losing streak as short as 3. Now Johnson is showing how shit tfc is without Koef and we will witness another 9 game losing streak starting today :)

AlanO
07-18-2012, 06:52 PM
These Colorado commentators are horrible

Brooker
07-18-2012, 06:54 PM
These Colorado commentators are horrible

I enjoyed their longwinded conversation about coaching attire. Fascinating.

ag futbol
07-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Meh, about what can be expected from the current collection of players. Henry caught looking a little naive on that Casey goal.

Honestly, I'm looking past this one and towards who we can sign in the next week or so.

gracos
07-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I would like to see Weideman and Silva on, and Johnson off how do you miss a penalty that bad, it looked like he was kicking the ball to try and hit the corner flag

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 06:59 PM
I would like to see Weideman and Silva on, and Johnson off how do you miss a penalty that bad, it looked like he was kicking the ball to try and hit the corner flag

Silva is on.

gracos
I know i want Silva and Wiedeman to be up top, and Johnson to come off the field

AlanO
He shouldn't be taking penalties... his shooting style / release will always send it high to the keeper's left. Pickens knew it, too.

ag futbol
07-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Incredibly even first half by the stats:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-07-18-tor-v-col/stats

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Makubuya!!!!!!!! No but seriously the academy kids need a chance to play I get that Mariner wants an extension but what's better for the team next giving Dunfield minutes and making Frings play 90 minutes two times a week or give Cordon, Makubuya, and Stinson a chance.

ag futbol
I'd say bring on Keith Makubuya, after 70... see what he's got.

OgtheDim
He shouldn't be taking penalties... his shooting style / release will always send it high to the keeper's left. Pickens knew it, too.

Mariner.....English guy. Practicing PK's is for Germans.

Redcoe15
07-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Johnson sucks, Dunfield sucks, and Casey can lick my balls.

So what have you got up your sleeve the second half, Mariner?

gracos
07-18-2012, 07:05 PM
unless we get a known player brought in, we will not make the playoffs, and we should let as much time as possible to bring in the future lineup

DaBandit
07-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Question.. How did the Colorado keeper not get a card? Not even a yellow? This league will always be bush league until the officiating improves drastically..

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Question.. How did the Colorado keeper not get a card? Not even a yellow? This league will always be bush league until the officiating improves drastically..

I think he didn't get a red because Wynne cleared the ball before Silva got there.

:hide:

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I'd like to see Stinson and Makubuya come in for a change. I seen enough from Johnson today.

Rumour from the locker-room: Mariner is fired and Brennen head coach!

DaBandit
07-18-2012, 07:10 PM
I think he didn't get a red because Wynne cleared the ball before Silva got there.

:hide:

But wouldn't silva have been there first if he wasn't being pulled back by the keeper, who was the last man? I realize wynne is a track star, but silva was being grabbed by the keep..

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 07:10 PM
I'd like to see Stinson and Makubuya come in for a change. I seen enough from Johnson today.

Rumour from the locker-room: Mariner is fired and Brennen head coach!

Really:cryin:

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Dumbfield is going to break someones leg soon with his reckless tackles.

Relja
07-18-2012, 07:15 PM
finally johnson :)

iy12l
johnson scores??!?!?!?!

Dkolish3
This is good!!!!!!

AlanO
RJ makes up for the PK. Nice!

gracos
I guess it works to bring him down, finally made up for his errors, or at least some of them Congrats Ryan Johnson

AlanO
07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
That's the most composure Johnson has shown in the penalty area in weeks

ag futbol
Nice goal. Silva is by far better in the middle of the field, why couldn't Winter figure that out?

J18
confidently taken. Game is here for the taking.

Yohan
07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Well johnson never gives up. Nice deft touch for the goal

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Silva is pretty good as a link man.

AlanO
07-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Silva is pretty good as a link man.
Silva's a new man since he scored his first MLS goal a few games ago. Played very well recently and having a great match tonight.

DoubleUp
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Silva is pure Class!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dkolish3
Oh Shit Silva good link up play.

iy12l
silva next DP

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Wieldman coming on......Lambe off?

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Johnson should of came off, hes played every minute of every game

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Why on earth did Johnson feel the need to take the ball off Lambe who was sprinting forwards and go backwards with it?

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Lmao dunfield!

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 07:25 PM
What was that??? Dunfield

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 07:26 PM
When Frings can run through your central D, ur are pretty bad.

AlanO
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
C'mon lads, three points are ripe for the picking!

ag futbol
Best finisher of the modern era!

DaBandit
The weedman has arrived... Lol

DoubleUp
great shit boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:32 PM
weed man scores

gracos
that was Wiedeman, i like what i see

Redcoe15
Gooooooooooooal!!!!!!!!!!!

Yohan
Best finisher in modern era!

AlanO
Welcome aboard, Wiedeman!

Dkolish3
It Feels like a Good day

If this score holds Colorado would have 0 points all time at Fortress BMO

ag futbol
07-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Herny's full back work is very central defenderish ... and awesome

DoubleUp
We cant shut off like that though.

OgtheDim
HOLY CRAP!!

The Weedman LIVES!

Looks SO much better then the last game. Good for him.

iy12l
Weed man is the reincarnation of Koevs and johnson is the reincatnation of Barrett.

Brooker
Nice to see the guy who has been relentlessly shit upon on this board since he got here score a nice goal like that. :D

DoubleUp
07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Best finisher in modern era!

:hump:

[NBF]
I came in just in time to see the Weedman goal, that was a good first touch almost Koeverman like.

Can anyone tell me what the formation is and bring me up to speed on goal scorers, subs?

TFCAURORA
what a good trade. widamans forst game and almost has tha same number of goals as deguzman. lol

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:35 PM
wow even duncefield almost scored

[NBF]
07-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Fuad Ibrahim had two goals in his first two games. Dont forget.

DoubleUp
07-18-2012, 07:36 PM
wow is that possession stat real???

Dkolish3
;1513504']Fuad Ibrahim had two goals in his first two games. Dont forget.

or Martina 2 in one game

ag futbol
;1513501']I came in just in time to see the Weedman goal, that was a good first touch almost Koeverman like.

Can anyone tell me what the formation is and bring me up to speed on goal scorers, subs?
Avila -> Wieldman

Probably 4-1-3-2...

Goals
RJ
Best finisher modern era

[NBF]
07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Whats the formation?????????

OgtheDim
;1513501']...Can anyone tell me what the formation is ?

4-4-2 But their midfield and central defence is so bad Frings and Dunfield are playing box to box.

[NBF]
ok thanx

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:38 PM
;1513508']Whats the formation?????????

5-0-5

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Nice goal. Silva is by far better in the middle of the field, why couldn't Winter figure that out?
?? The only position Silva played under Winter was the #10 spot and he didn't do well then

TFCAURORA
07-18-2012, 07:41 PM
oohhh shit guy!!!!!!!! could this be a winning streak..

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
13 more mins...

[NBF]
07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
?? The only position Silva played under Winter was the #10 spot and he didn't do well then

I think with Aron Winter it was hard to communicate with the players and to motivate them, but I think Mariner didn't help him out enough.

TFCAURORA
it's gonna be 13 mins of hell.

Dkolish3
oohhh shit guy!!!!!!!! could this be a winning streak..

What's that?

[NBF]
07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
This looks good so far, they look motivated. Who scored for Colorado?

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 07:46 PM
;1513519']This looks good so far, they look motivated. Who scored for Colorado?

The tall bald white guy....Henry misplayed the cross.

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
i hope theres not another 7 min extra time

[NBF]
07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Was he an ex-TFC player?

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Stinson!!!

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:49 PM
finally stinson gets some time

[NBF]
07-18-2012, 07:49 PM
WTF!!!!!! Frings running like a bullet:O that was unbelievable. Never saw him run so fast.

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
;1513522']Was he an ex-TFC player?

Casey Connors was an ex-TFC player and he did score today. However it was one of Johnston picks in the expansion draft where he picked up a guy for the sole purpose of sending him back to Colorado at a premium

Blizzard
07-18-2012, 07:51 PM
;1513525']WTF!!!!!! Frings running like a bullet:O that was unbelievable. Never saw him run so fast.

Ecks. Pass the F-CKING ball. What a waste. Loop it over to Frings. Terrible.

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:52 PM
wow for the first time were no0t bunkering near our net

Brooker
07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Casey Connors was an ex-TFC player and he did score today. However it was one of Johnston picks in the expansion draft where he picked up a guy for the sole purpose of sending him back to Colorado at a premium

Conor Casey? :D

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Conor Casey? :D

Its been a long day why can't people have clearly last name and clearly first names?

[NBF]
07-18-2012, 07:56 PM
wow for the first time were no0t bunkering near our net

The first time....first time....st time.....I dont recall ever dominating anyone or being par with any other team like today.

Brooker
07-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Its been a long day why can't people have clearly last name and clearly first names?

Because his parents are dicks!

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Nice acting dunfield

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Mariner calls for the immediate sub.....concussion concern.

iy12l
07-18-2012, 07:58 PM
blow the whistle!!

Batman
07-18-2012, 07:58 PM
F&ucking dive

[NBF]
07-18-2012, 07:59 PM
its officially a streak. wow

ag futbol
Quick question: has TFC ever won three league games in a row? how about 4?

iy12l
lol mariner

Brooker
LOL Paul Mariner's over the top celebrations are hilarious.

Batman
07-18-2012, 08:00 PM
another result for Mariner.

I wonder how many hundred calls for his dismissal will be coming forward this week.

Batman
07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
LOL Paul Mariner's over the top celebrations are hilarious.

Ya..he sure shows his enthusiasm.

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Well done.
Colorado was poor but TFC did what it needed to do.

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 08:02 PM
All Time Colorado is 0-6-0 at FORTRESS BMO!!!!

ag futbol
Ok, that game did a lot to boost my confidence. Lot of good performances from the guys, even though Colorado is having a weak season.

AlanO
Great way to end a brutal schedule over the last few weeks.

Colorado sucked, but still, was encouraging to see so many goal-scoring chances created without Koev.

Gazza
07-18-2012, 08:04 PM
The Weedman tried to upstage Terrible Terry. But he couldn't quite do it.

Gazza
07-18-2012, 08:05 PM
By the way...does the "up yours!" sign mean something else in Europe? Why do our players and coaches keep doing it to our fans?

Parkdale
07-18-2012, 08:07 PM
post got eaten.

I love seeing the "silverware not friendlies" two stick. It looked like a prizby creation. Props man.

Dkolish3
07-18-2012, 08:08 PM
By the way...does the "up yours!" sign mean something else in Europe? Why do our players and coaches keep doing it to our fans?

Mariner's been here for at least 12 years so I'm pretty sure it means what you think it means.

DaBandit
07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Best game TFC has played under mariner. Was very happy that we kept possession of the ball in the 2nd half instead of brainlessly hoofing it back at every opportunity. Dunfield had a good game I thought, I didn't notice many giveaways on his part.

Still don't like the fact that Henry and ecks are playing out of position.

Soccerpro
07-18-2012, 08:23 PM
There's no reason next season can't be a good one with the right moves. Clear some over-expensive players and bring in some key elements. I like the fact TFC hasn't rushed off to sign new players with DP money burning a hole in their pockets.

ensco
07-18-2012, 08:30 PM
MOTM was Lambe? That is a joke.

Silva was sensational.

narduch
07-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Quick question: has TFC ever won three league games in a row? how about 4?

Thanks to Daniel Girard of the Star for tweeting this, the last time was in April of 2008, with three straight wins over LA, RSL and KC.

The LA game was the one where Cunningham scored the winner. One of our rare road wins.

As far as I can tell they have never won 4 in a row. It will be interesting to see how they do against an in form Houston on the 28th.

Super
07-18-2012, 08:54 PM
The Houston game is going to be absolutely massive. A true 6 pointer. We beat Houston and we'll be 6 points out of the play-offs with 13 games to go. Now THAT would make this season very interesting all of a sudden. Either way, I'm just enjoying the new TFC and how it has brought me from almost complete apathy to caring once again. Thank you, Mariner!!

jimiv
07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
All Time Colorado is 0-6-0 at FORTRESS BMO!!!!

They did win once... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup_2010

Thomas
07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Yea, , an astute observation for sure!

there is no point in marking johnson because he will always miss

narduch
07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
The Houston game is going to be absolutely massive. A true 6 pointer. We beat Houston and we'll be 6 points out of the play-offs with 13 games to go. Now THAT would make this season very interesting all of a sudden. Either way, I'm just enjoying the new TFC and how it has brought me from almost complete apathy to caring once again. Thank you, Mariner!!

Houston is currently tied with KC in the 2nd half. They also play Montreal at home this Saturday. They could be as much as 15 points up on TFC by the 28th.

Shakes McQueen
07-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Hard to argue with three straight wins now. And this was arguably our best win, despite the absence of Danny K. That's pretty huge.

- Scott

Super
07-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Houston is currently tied with KC in the 2nd half. They also play Montreal at home this Saturday. They could be as much as 15 points up on TFC by the 28th.

Yeah, that's true. I just looked at the current table after tonight's game. Also I notice they had a game in hand. Either way, we're slowly eating our way back up the table, and there's enough games left that we may end up with a fighting chance.

ensco
07-18-2012, 09:20 PM
MOTM was Lambe? That is a joke.

Silva was sensational.

I'm bumping this because I'm stunned at the lack of comment on Silva's game. He must have had ten great passes. His first touch was fantastic. And he is strong on the ball - they can't knock him off it.

He bossed the game today. He is a superstar in the making, a fantastic draft pick.

Yohan
07-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Yeah, that's true. I just looked at the current table after tonight's game. Also I notice they had a game in hand. Either way, we're slowly eating our way back up the table, and there's enough games left that we may end up with a fighting chance.
What cruel mistress tfc is... playing with our hopes.

So, 4 wins 4 draws and 2 losses under mariner. This would have been supporter shield form or something close to it

Thomas
07-18-2012, 09:22 PM
A big win. To be honest, going in without Danny I thought our chances were really limited. Kudos to PM and the rest of the squad. I am proud of our achievement. Go you Reds!

Yohan
07-18-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm bumping this because I'm stunned at the lack of comment on Silva's game. He must have had ten great passes. His first touch was fantastic. And he is strong on the ball - they can't knock him off it.

He bossed the game today. He is a superstar in the making, a fantastic draft pick.
That johnson goal was all silva. Anyone else think he might be a pretty good trequartista like totti?

cmonyoureds
07-18-2012, 09:26 PM
I personally doubt it was Mariner's choice to bring Frings and Koev's to the team. I love them both, but having 3 DP's including JDG is taking up a massive amount of cap space. I'm pretty sure Frings and Koev's were both Winter's guys - I can see him having the connections to both players. And this is the problem with having DP's - it really makes the rest of your squad limited. And now we have Koev's out and yet we still have to cover his $335K in the cap, we are fairly screwed! If you take $335k out of any MLS team it really limits your squad. The MLS rules are clearly a little messed up :( Surely even the MLS wouldn't want any team to be $335k behind cap space, would they?

A little late with my reply, however, credit for a big 3 points to him for tonight.

But if you're telling me that the guy responsible for bringing in players had nothing to do with bringing in our best two players....I'm not sure how I feel about that!!!! Actually, upon further review, if that was the case, he should be FIRED from that job.

Hmmm maybe there's something to that............Mariner, you suck at player acquisition, let's try you at field level 'cause Tommy likes you. You have a British accent, you must know something about socc......football.

I'm not saying he needs superstar subs at every position, we'd settle for just HAVING a sub for every position at this point. And that, no matter how anyone spins it, is directly on PM.

Pookie
07-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Nice to see some optimism.

On one hand you could temper that by saying wins have come against Colorado (now 1-6-0 in their last 7), NE (2nd last in the east) and MTL and VAN whom we always beat. At the same time, you can't take away from that. Win or draw now is my expectation and the 4 Ws have been delivered.

This 10 game stretch has netted us 16 points. Preki's first ten also netted 16 points. I think most all of us have a cautious eye knowing that short stretches of positivity can rapidly turn (ala Winter 2012 v 2011 or Preki or...)

Collective deep breath and let's see where we are 10 from now.

DaBandit
07-18-2012, 09:28 PM

I completely agree with you. The ball he played into Frings in the 2nd half was all class

AlanO
07-18-2012, 09:28 PM

Surprised he wasn't MOTM. He tore apart Colorado's defence with clever passes and did a great job holding up the ball.

brad
07-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Nice to see some optimism.

On one hand you could temper that by saying wins have come against Colorado (now 1-6-0 in their last 7), NE (2nd last in the east) and MTL and VAN whom we always beat. At the same time, you can't take away from that. Win or draw now is my expectation and the 4 Ws have been delivered.

As the worst team in the league, starting to get results against teams like this is forward progress though (as sad as that is)...

This 10 game stretch has netted us 16 points. Preki's first ten also netted 16 points. I think most all of us have a cautious eye knowing that short stretches of positivity can rapidly turn (ala Winter 2012 v 2011 or Preki or...)

Collective deep breath and let's see where we are 10 from now.

Agreed. The travel, extra games and shift of focus that comes along with the Champions League will be an interesting thing to watch as well. Not just how we do in the CL, but how it affects our league play as well.

Saltcoats
07-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Silva was MOTM for me, he really rose to the challenge...

ryan
07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
ryan's fact of the day:

If we didn't blow the 2 goal leads vs Houston and New England a short while back, we'd be 7th in the fucking East

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
;1513516']I think with Aron Winter it was hard to communicate with the players and to motivate them, but I think Mariner didn't help him out enough.
now that I'm not on an Iphone, I'll say why I actually think that Silva didn't work under Winter. Winter saw Silva as a midfielder and so he played him in the midfield. The problem with that was that an attacking midfielder in Winter's system has to be able to drop deep and distribute to the wings and create space. Whereas he prefers to stay near the striker and play off of him. That caused Winter's 4-3-3 to fall apart when he was on the pitch because it would become a 4-2-4 with the two midfielders playing closer to the defense line than the forward line. After a few games I said that he should either be played on the wing or as a striker.
Mariner's system fits him better because he can let the other players work on getting the ball up the pitch and then play off of the striker

reggie
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
silva was nuts tonight,a true #10 boss tonight.

Couchy81
07-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Missed the game due to work, but what the hell? We have a 3 game win streak? I'm starting to appreciate Mariner a bit more.

Shakes McQueen
07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
A fucking three game winning streak guys. This seemed impossible a couple of months ago, no matter who we were playing.

- Scott

ManUtd4ever
07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Another solid effort with a shorthanded lineup that gutted out a result. I honestly can't remember the last time I attended two victories in a row at BMO Field.

It was good to see the best finisher in the modern era score the winner in his TFC home debut. I thought he put in a solid overall performance off the bench with a few nice touches as well.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://files.servicemagic.com/files/eid/2600000/2607160/1416240.jpg&sa=X&ei=ZnoHUJ6aMqL20gG_pdn4Aw&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFcxX9OfkAGNjPBhJIrxl5y7-H9TA

ManUtd4ever
07-18-2012, 10:19 PM
What some people seem worried about is that he's going after a particular type of player that play a style of game they don't like. But really, we don't actually know what players are available to TFC and at what cost. We often talk here as though we could build any team we want and have made a stylistic choice. But we don't really know what the immediate choices are.

You're right, I think, we'll see what he comes up with but in the meantime it's much better to be grinding out some results. As we will tonight, 2-1.

Good call Beach.