PDA

View Full Version : PRE/IN/POST GAME Thread-TFC vs Colorado ,July 18 - Wed 7:00 PM

Pages : 1 [2]

PopePouri
07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Played a lot more possession football and out the back tonight.

supersaint
07-18-2012, 10:23 PM
A little late with my reply, however, credit for a big 3 points to him for tonight.

But if you're telling me that the guy responsible for bringing in players had nothing to do with bringing in our best two players....I'm not sure how I feel about that!!!! Actually, upon further review, if that was the case, he should be FIRED from that job.

Hmmm maybe there's something to that............Mariner, you suck at player acquisition, let's try you at field level 'cause Tommy likes you. You have a British accent, you must know something about socc......football.

I'm not saying he needs superstar subs at every position, we'd settle for just HAVING a sub for every position at this point. And that, no matter how anyone spins it, is directly on PM.

Not one hundred per cent sure, but I believe he was responsible for drafting Silva. He also scouted Lambe from obscurity, a young player who is developing. One thing I feel, is that he has the players wanting to play for him and the team, prepared to give every last ounce of energy for the cause. He also has Dunfield playing to his maximum ablility. I certainly believe he deserves the rest of the season before we cast judgement. I think the reason we are so thin just now, is that players had to be released first to free up space. Reinforcements to follow soon. At least we are no longer the worst team in the world.

Alonso
07-18-2012, 10:23 PM
MOTM was Lambe? That is a joke.

Silva was sensational.

Silva could potentially salvage the season with consistent play like this.

Definitely an unforeseen wild card to the last half of the season...

Edit: I mean as a #10 on our team in light of Koevermans injury

Sweeper
07-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Who da man? Wee da Man! What a great game to watch. The possession and passing in the second half was some of the best I have seen all season. I saw team play tonight, not individual talent desperately trying to string passes together and hold possession. I think Eckersley deserves a lot of credit for a solid game at center D. Out of position yes, but he's a leader back there for sure.

backbeat
07-18-2012, 10:34 PM
as hard as it is for me to say it i thought Dunfield was solid tonight - Silva was man of the match and Frings quarterbacked the team - a big thank you to Kocic for some big saves - if we can land a solid commander or 2 at CB soon and put ecks back to RB with another striker up front we would look pretty strong for a fun run, and it would be nice for a change to have a run...

DaBandit
07-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Not one hundred per cent sure, but I believe he was responsible for drafting Silva. He also scouted Lambe from obscurity, a young player who is developing. One thing I feel, is that he has the players wanting to play for him and the team, prepared to give every last ounce of energy for the cause. He also has Dunfield playing to his maximum ablility. I certainly believe he deserves the rest of the season before we cast judgement. I think the reason we are so thin just now, is that players had to be released first to free up space. Reinforcements to follow soon. At least we are no longer the worst team in the world.

Lol.. We're now just tied for the worst team in the world.. Baby steps..

DaBandit
07-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Who da man? Wee da Man! What a great game to watch. The possession and passing in the second half was some of the best I have seen all season. I saw team play tonight, not individual talent desperately trying to string passes together and hold possession. I think Eckersley deserves a lot of credit for a solid game at center D. Out of position yes, but he's a leader back there for sure.

This is awesome, should be a banner.

Auzzy
07-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Remember that Silva also had some super sweet passes the other night, e.g., springing RJ for a couple of breakaways.

RE Mariner, can somebody gif this please? http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw&v=E8JYYsiqUfE&feature=player_detailpage#t=355s

T-boy
07-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Good game tonight. I thought it was an overall solid performance form TFC! The passing, actually, was better than I've seen from a TFC team in a LOOOONG time! There was one move started by an Avila backheal in the second half (over by the west stand) that then got passed all around the penalty area and resulted in a shot from somebody, that was quite outstanding football! Very impressive and something we haven't seen at ALL from Mariner's team. That move, even though it didn't result in a goal, got me clapping like crazy!

Silva was very good tonight. His movement and passing was very slick. I thought Lambe had a good game in little parts, but also he disappeared sometimes. Dunfield had a solid game, and actually his passing tonight seemed much better than I've ever seen from him!

The one downside was giving up that goal to Casey. Really Casey schooled Henry for that goal. Casey's movement wasn't even that much, but Henry really got caught out! That's just a lack of experience showing there. And that really shows where an experienced defender would really help the team right now. We didn't need to give up that goal.

But fair to TFC, having seen them go goals up with Mariner and then squander the lead, this is the second time in a week where we have battled back to win a game. That's impressive and shows some tanacity and fight from the players.

My man of the match, Silva, followed by Frings, who really bossed the midfield and his off the ball movement was fantastic.

Nice job boys!

kodiakTFC
07-18-2012, 10:44 PM
I attribute Queen to our recent success.

JonO
07-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Frings? Really? Not one of his better games tonight. As for the game itself - first half was dull as mud. Much better 2nd half (or are colorado that bad). Not sure how we keep winning but i'll take it

ouderwien
07-18-2012, 10:49 PM

As much as I dislike the Queen song being sung...it has directly lead to goals in the past two games. Maybe it should be added. Haha

T-boy
07-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Yes Frings. He wasn't "spectacular", and he isn't quick enough when it comes to the final touch anymore (like the throught ball from Silva in the second half). But he was always moving and creating space in the midfield tonight, Colorado didn't really know how to mark him. He seemed to be omnipresent tonight all over the field.

Sweeper
07-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Remember that Silva also had some super sweet passes the other night, e.g., springing RJ for a couple of breakaways.

RE Mariner, can somebody gif this please? http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw&v=E8JYYsiqUfE&feature=player_detailpage#t=355s

Hilarious, saw him do that as I was walking up the steps and thought WTF? Not really sure who that's directed at..... is it the people in the press box, fans, security? I think he just kind of loses his mind and gets all awkward. I love Mariner's enthusiasm and passion. Having said that I would have loved Winter's demeanour too if he won more games.

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm rather concerned about Dunfield. Its obvious he was concussed last week and looks like he might have been hit again this week; refusing to come off is not a good thing. I realise that soccer tends to ignore concussions but if the man loses his marbles, its not worth it.

He really should not play on Saturday, that's for sure.

T-boy
07-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Hilarious, saw him do that as I was walking up the steps and thought WTF? Not really sure who that's directed at..... is it the people in the press box, fans, security? I think he just kind of loses his mind and gets all awkward. I love Mariner's enthusiasm and passion. Having said that I would have loved Winter's demeanour too if he won more games.

can anybody lip read what Mariner was saying when he did the "up yours" salute? Maybe it was something like "fuck you Anselmi"! :p Maybe he doesn't like him either?! :D

Richard
07-18-2012, 10:59 PM
So what does TFC do now? Do we push in the league to hope for a few more wins and possibly dare i say enter a playoff race, or go all out in the CL?

Yohan
07-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Silva could potentially salvage the season with consistent play like this.

Definitely an unforeseen wild card to the last half of the season...

Edit: I mean as a #10 on our team in light of Koevermans injury
Two assists in the game is solid work for the night. Couple more of these games and he would be in for rookie of the yr award

Ageroo
07-18-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm rather concerned about Dunfield. Its obvious he was concussed last week and looks like he might have been hit again this week; refusing to come off is not a good thing. I realise that soccer tends to ignore concussions but if the man loses his marbles, its not worth it.

He really should not play on Saturday, that's for sure.

that foul happened in my end there...and I am not even sure he was really hit all that hard. It was more the two Colorado players colliding then him....at least from my view right behind the goal. I suspect he played it up a bit more to waste time...but I could be wrong. Good job if he wasn't hurt as it was convincing.

__wowza
07-18-2012, 11:23 PM
As much as I dislike the Queen song being sung...it has directly lead to goals in the past two games. Maybe it should be added. Haha

the only time ive heard the queen song, it's been sung as an apathetic joke.
how bout we focus on OUR clubs songs before we go belting this out?

sorry if i sound snarky, but seeing the song start up from a bunch of guys who hadnt contributed anything to anything all night really rustled my jimmies.

ManUtd4ever
07-18-2012, 11:32 PM
As mentioned by a few others, it was particularly encouraging to watch TFC play a strong possession game tonight, especially in the second half. Silva played a critical role in that regard, and Mariner made a good call moving him up front behind Johnson, where he excelled in the absence of Koevs. Despite the recent string of positive results, it was the first time TFC finished a match with the edge in possession since Mariner took over, and hopefully, a sign of things to come.

A few more performances like tonight, and the term "hoofball" should be outlawed around here. g:D

QSIM
07-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Thoughts:
- 3pts, 3rd win in a row, teams looking good
- Once of the best performances in a while, held good possesion (52%) and completed over 350+ passes (quite astonishing for us)
- Terry D actually played quite well through the midfield with Frings (shown again in the pass numbers)
- Wiede looked good, seems to be a smart player
- Silva is finally getting a chance to fulfill the expectations most of us had for him
- Thought Henry looked out of place (more so in the 1st half)

ouderwien
07-18-2012, 11:36 PM
the only time ive heard the queen song, it's been sung as an apathetic joke.
how bout we focus on OUR clubs songs before we go belting this out?

sorry if i sound snarky, but seeing the song start up from a bunch of guys who hadnt contributed anything to anything all night really rustled my jimmies.

My thoughts exactly, I see the song being sung as a marker of how low it really is right now. Apathy is the right word for it. I only infered its addition as a joke. (Forgot my sarcasm emoticon!)

ouderwien
07-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Also did anyone else see Dunfield loose it on Lambe at the end of the game? I was mixed emotions on that. One hand, he was right that Lambe should get off the field however he was just giving it to his own player.

Furthermore, it just further proves that this break (or lack of one *ahem friendly*) is needed, or atleast Mariner needs to rest some players.

nxtmike
07-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Seems like I may have missed the boat on this news but why are they building a chairlift at the south end of BMO?

Saw the towers put up today. Looks like an eye-sore.

Strikers
07-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Seems like I may have missed the boat on this news but why are they building a chairlift at the south end of BMO?

Saw the towers put up today. Looks like an eye-sore.

That's going in for the CNE in August I believe they are bringing back the cable cars

loconet
07-19-2012, 12:22 AM
The mocking oles that I heard with the nice string of passes we had during the second half put a smile on my first for the first time this season...

DoubleUp
07-19-2012, 12:42 AM
So what does TFC do now? Do we push in the league to hope for a few more wins and possibly dare i say enter a playoff race, or go all out in the CL?

I say give the cl to the kids, maybe take the the time work on new schemes in the system. I think this year is about maintaining the level of play in the league.

nxtmike
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM
That's going in for the CNE in August I believe they are bringing back the cable cars

Hmmmm.... looks permanent the way the support towers are drilled/cemented into the ground.

sure not pretty to look at.

Redcoe15
07-19-2012, 01:51 AM
I hafta say, I've been quiet on Mariner since he took over the head coaching reigns of this team. But he's doing something no other TFC coach has done in their existance. He's made them refuse to lose. How many times has our side gone into the half either tied or down a goal and they've come back to win a match? Last week against Vancouver was a classic example, as was tonight. It ain't pretty (at least it's more attractive than Prekiball) but the results speak for themselves.

khso11
07-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Remember what PM did at the end of the match, that was probably for the bitch from the Van Shitcraps last game that did the exact same hand gesture when mattocks scored in the 90'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqoVO9RI5I

Derko
07-19-2012, 04:09 AM
Nice goal. Silva is by far better in the middle of the field, why couldn't Winter figure that out?

Because Winter was far too stubborn

Derko
07-19-2012, 04:16 AM
or Martina 2 in one game

Ah the cynics have arrived, the glass is half full boys. Let me guess the world is going end in 2012.

Good goal by Weideman, entertaining game, Mariner is producing some results which is good.

Huyton
07-19-2012, 05:43 AM
I hafta say, I've been quiet on Mariner since he took over the head coaching reigns of this team. But he's doing something no other TFC coach has done in their existance. He's made them refuse to lose. How many times has our side gone into the half either tied or down a goal and they've come back to win a match? Last week against Vancouver was a classic example, as was tonight. It ain't pretty (at least it's more attractive than Prekiball) but the results speak for themselves.

There are few things as ugly as going 0-9 to start a season, or 1 win in 16 like a stretch last year.

Voodooman
07-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Just realized that the Dichio chant wasn't sung last night, im guessing its over?

Furtado91
07-19-2012, 07:10 AM
is it just me or does that video cause firefox to recieve unresponsive scripts? i cannot for the life of me play that damn video even if i try to watch it on youtube. but other videos work fine :S

ecospice
07-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Just realized that the Dichio chant wasn't sung last night, im guessing its over?

I was sitting in 109 and heard the Dichio chant. It was not the usual loud chant, but from sporadic areas.

Looked to me like there was no capo in the corner of the bunker for the first half either. Not sure if it was a protest or not. There was a capo for the second half and the support was much more evident from then on.

Fort York Redcoat
07-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Not sure if it was a protest or not.

How did I know I'd read this this morning? Ugh

eco- here's a guideline for yourself and any others who are curious- If there is some kind of protest going on it can read about on this very board we're on now BEFORE a game starts.

Please excuse my frustration but ever since we were quiet on purpose all of ONE game (how many seasons ago? Two? Three?) Too many people assume protest.

Do I want to sing every match? Yes I do. Do I try to start chants on my own? Yes I do. But I don't do it for long unaccompanied. I would assume by the silence for most of the match last night I'm not alone in this mentality.

SUMMARY: NO. There was no protest last night.

Technorgasm
07-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Suddenly. . . . .

. . . NORB

http://is100.imagesocket.com/images/2012/07/19/2501599-ithk.JPG

Gazza
07-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Not sure if this is purposely being avoided, or some of us are too insecure to say it but...

...Weedman has some dreamy eyes.

Gazza
07-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Also did anyone else see Dunfield loose it on Lambe at the end of the game? I was mixed emotions on that. One hand, he was right that Lambe should get off the field however he was just giving it to his own player.

Furthermore, it just further proves that this break (or lack of one *ahem friendly*) is needed, or atleast Mariner needs to rest some players.

He didn't lose it on him. Remember, Lambe is a young guy and Dunfield is the veteran. He was explaining to him that if he's hurt, stay down, don't get up and try to be a hero because it cost us a corner kick. He tapped him on the head and gave him a hug afterward.

It's called leadership.

Stouffville_RPB
07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
I've been a big anti-Mariner guy. I think they team has been reacting more to the change rather than Mariner. From what I saw it was still the same team just with a little better finishing.

That said last night was the most complete game they've played under Mariner. It wasn't anything flashy, it wasn't dominating but the guys had their heads in the game from start to finish.

I hope this continues for the rest of the season.

Stouffville_RPB
07-19-2012, 08:09 AM
It was sung.

Wasn't as Noticable for 2 reasons.
1. No drum to coordinate the voices.
2. Conor Casey scored just as it as starting. (we were singing it right after Colorado scored lol).

Fort York Redcoat
07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Not sure if this is purposely being avoided, or some of us are too insecure to say it but...

...Weedman has some dreamy eyes.

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/imagecache/player_profile_headshot/players/head-shots/Wiedeman140.jpg

Pics or it didn't happen...

and also- post of the day. Dreamy eyes.

http://www.google.ca/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Andrew+Wiedeman+FC+Dallas+v+New+York+Red+Bulls+_OI cEP-mhUll.jpg&sa=X&ei=WQoIUNm0B6ji0gH_06XMAw&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFeTwb-kgDofzBzhiWIiXgk7qOrig

Here you go. Let the man-crushing begin. (Srsly this is making me laugh through any hangover I'd ever have. Thanks Gazza. I've repped you already or you'd have some more for this post.):thumbsup:

Canary10
07-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Because Winter was far too stubborn

Winter always played Silva in the middle of the pitch. Mariner's been the one putting him on the left until Danny got hurt.

Canary10
07-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Pleasantly surprised at last night. That was the first game under Mariner that we actually looked in control.

__wowza
07-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Pleasantly surprised at last night. That was the first game under Mariner that we actually looked in control.

first game we've played under mariner where we've held both passing accuracy and possession fairly level with the other team. i think we were all a bit shocked when we started dropping back to controlled possession for the last 10.

It was sung.

Wasn't as Noticable for 2 reasons.
1. No drum to coordinate the voices.
2. Conor Casey scored just as it as starting. (we were singing it right after Colorado scored lol).

yeah, no drum makes everything harder. no one really seemed to be in full voice last night, so one of the reasons i got on the stand was to try and co-ordinate us with what bobby was doing in case anything started up. it's impossible to do without a drum.

Suddenly. . . . .

. . . EDDY GORDO

http://is100.imagesocket.com/images/2012/07/19/2501599-ithk.JPG

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/_img/chars/char_38770.jpg

ryan
07-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Houston is currently tied with KC in the 2nd half. They also play Montreal at home this Saturday. They could be as much as 15 points up on TFC by the 28th.

Wrong target. Catch the Fire who looks to be fading a bit, just one goal this month so far. Houston is a side worthy of challenging for the Cup, Chicago is more of a mid table side with a tough schedule left to go (@ SJ, @ DC, vs HOU, @ SKC, @ NY, @ NE, vs DC) left on their schedule. All games that will be tough for them to earn points. Their other 7 matches include us twice, if we perhaps take those 2 that cuts our gap in half and we just need to make up 6pts.

Pookie
07-19-2012, 09:21 AM
^ catching Houston or Chicago seem moot. There are but 14 games left and there are 4 other teams we'd have to climb over.

Considering that each of those teams play each other, points are going to be awarded along the way.

To be realistic, our best ever 10 game stretch was 6-2-2 (20 points). That would require Chicago or Houston to gain only 8 points in their last 10 matches AND require the 4 other teams to tank enough that we could leap frog them.

I'm a Leaf fan too. I know the drill. If we could just... and then... and then... just don't see it as being possible

v00d00daddy
07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Credit where it's due.

The first half was horrid from both teams.

TFC came out better in the second and I was most happy by the way they played when they went up a goal.

If Mariner had them focusing on not giving the ball away cheaply then he deserves praise. I loved that they tried to keep possession.

Good win...despite that the rapids were awful.

T-boy
07-19-2012, 09:56 AM
I heart Wiedemann! :ihih:

ryan
07-19-2012, 10:15 AM
^ catching Houston or Chicago seem moot. There are but 14 games left and there are 4 other teams we'd have to climb over.

Considering that each of those teams play each other, points are going to be awarded along the way.

To be realistic, our best ever 10 game stretch was 6-2-2 (20 points). That would require Chicago or Houston to gain only 8 points in their last 10 matches AND require the 4 other teams to tank enough that we could leap frog them.

I'm a Leaf fan too. I know the drill. If we could just... and then... and then... just don't see it as being possible

14 games to go, is there 9 wins or 8-3-3 (27pts) left in those 14? 46pts seem to be the playoff number.

Home vs Montreal, Philly, Portland. H&H with C-bus and Chicago. There's 7 games vs losing sides or the last playoff team who needs to be caught and thus beaten.

It'd be a hell of a run and defy the odds, but the matches are on the schedule and possibility remains. And fuck, wouldn't it be glorious to trek down to shitlumbus for the last game of the season and watch this epic sports story unfold? Even if we got humped in the playoffs, just to go down there and tear their shitty stands to the ground in celebration?

Yeah these teams earn points head to head, but for one to win the other will lose, so points are also lost. As long as it's not the top 5 continually winning over the bottom 5, then nobody runs away with it. A couple more wins will see us surpass 3 of those 4 sides ahead, so if we have the balls to make this wonderrun happen, Houston and Chicago are up next and will make or break that. So we have the right opponents next on the schedule.

We've all seen crazier shit in sports over the past half decade alone, so why not play pretend while they remain hot and have the right opponents up next?

AmherstNY_TFC
07-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Whether or not the playoffs are realistic is almost beside the point. If they go on a good run the second half of the season, and still miss the playoffs, it will provide momentum going into next season. TFC will be seen as a team "on the rise," and the players will start the season with some real momentum behind them.

T-boy
07-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Whether or not the playoffs are realistic is almost beside the point. If they go on a good run the second half of the season, and still miss the playoffs, it will provide momentum going into next season. TFC will be seen as a team "on the rise," and the players will start the season with some real momentum behind them.

Just like they did the end of last season going into this one?! :(

C.Ronaldo
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
if we get soem depth

our starters cant keep up this pace

Pookie
07-19-2012, 11:39 AM
14 games to go, is there 9 wins or 8-3-3 (27pts) left in those 14? 46pts seem to be the playoff number.

Home vs Montreal, Philly, Portland. H&H with C-bus and Chicago. There's 7 games vs losing sides or the last playoff team who needs to be caught and thus beaten.

It'd be a hell of a run and defy the odds, but the matches are on the schedule and possibility remains. And fuck, wouldn't it be glorious to trek down to shitlumbus for the last game of the season and watch this epic sports story unfold? Even if we got humped in the playoffs, just to go down there and tear their shitty stands to the ground in celebration?

Yeah these teams earn points head to head, but for one to win the other will lose, so points are also lost. As long as it's not the top 5 continually winning over the bottom 5, then nobody runs away with it. A couple more wins will see us surpass 3 of those 4 sides ahead, so if we have the balls to make this wonderrun happen, Houston and Chicago are up next and will make or break that. So we have the right opponents next on the schedule.

We've all seen crazier shit in sports over the past half decade alone, so why not play pretend while they remain hot and have the right opponents up next?

It would be great (though I still have the same reservations about the long term regardless of what Mariner can do. Anselmi needs to go though a playoff run would save Mariner's job when the new guy takes over).

That said, while you focus on our schedule you forget that those we are chasing play each other and that means that points are going to be awarded to someone. Which means that you might gain ground on Chicago but lose or make up no ground on New England or Philly.

As an example, Chicago has:

San Jose
TFC x 2
Philly x 2
New England x 2
DC x 2
Houston
Montreal
Columbus
KC
NY

It's exciting but we were 12 points out before Mariner and are 12 points out today, despite one of the best 10 game records in our history. Possible. Yes. Probable? I guess we'll see.

I'm more interested to see if this side can get out of the CCL group stage.

Ajax TFC
07-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Winter always played Silva in the middle of the pitch. Mariner's been the one putting him on the left until Danny got hurt.
quiet, don't let reality get in the way of believing that everything Winter did was idiotic. It's because Avila was way better in the middle under Winter. Isn't that an indicator that Mariner is far too stubborn?

khso11
07-19-2012, 02:04 PM
if you guys were at the game, did you guys notice the 127 guys are back, and they manage to pull the "TFC Horto" a few times too!

ManUtd4ever
07-19-2012, 02:13 PM

quiet, don't let reality get in the way of believing that everything Winter did was idiotic. It's because Avila was way better in the middle under Winter. Isn't that an indicator that Mariner is far too stubborn?

Ummm, yeah, except for the fact that Winter barely played Silva at all earlier this season.

But I suppose it's just a coincidence that Silva has suddenly emerged as a legitimate offensive threat now that he's actually playing meaningful minutes under Mariner's watch.

jazzy
07-19-2012, 02:28 PM
If Dunfield was giving it to him, (right in front of me),..he would be wrong although he was forcing his injury, every time he dropped it used up time......although Lambe just laughed.....AND no one was ready because Lambe waved to come off and no trainer approached or sub was ready....Mariner was hoping he'd 'brave' it out...it seems not quick thinking

Canary10
07-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Ummm, yeah, except for the fact that Winter barely played Silva at all earlier this season.

But I suppose it's just a coincidence that Silva has suddenly emerged as a legitimate offensive threat now that he's actually playing meaningful minutes under Mariner's watch.

I didn't say he got a lot of minutes, only that he was played in a central role where he should be.

Ultra & Proud
07-19-2012, 02:54 PM
I didn't say he got a lot of minutes, only that he was played in a central role where he should be.

So in a 4 man midfield we are to have Dunfield, Frings, and Silva playing centrally and Lambe solo out on one of the two wings? Or even worse, Dunfield out wide? In a 4 man midfield you have to find the best fit for the pieces you have and this is the best you're gonna get with what we got.

Same deal with Avila. I refuse to believe that putting him wide and not central is why he was invisible during 90% of his time on the pitch yesterday. He is inconsistent and has good games and bad ones. That's how he was last year and that's how he is now. You never know which one will show up. Until we get some more bodies in the mix he will most likely be our best option and we'll have to live with his inconsistency.

Canary10
07-19-2012, 02:59 PM
So in a 4 man midfield we are to have Dunfield, Frings, and Silva playing centrally and Lambe solo out on one of the two wings? Or even worse, Dunfield out wide? In a 4 man midfield you have to find the best fit for the pieces you have and this is the best you're gonna get with what we got.

Same deal with Avila. I refuse to believe that putting him wide and not central is why he was invisible during 90% of his time on the pitch yesterday. He is inconsistent and has good games and bad ones. That's how he was last year and that's how he is now. You never know which one will show up. Until we get some more bodies in the mix he will most likely be our best option and we'll have to live with his inconsistency.

I totally agree. About Avila too, I think he's far better in the middle than out left. That's why I think we could have done well in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 and that 4-4-2 doesn't make the best of use of our players. In fact, the reason Silva didn't get consistent minutes under Winter as ManUtd4ever said, was that he and Avila were fighting for that CAM position in the 4-3-3 and neither could win it outright.

Pookie
07-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Sure wish folks would check stats before making comments:

Winter played Silva 471 minutes through 10 games, including 5 starts, 3 Subbed On games and 2 with no action at all. And re: not using him earlier in the season, he was a starter in 3 of the first 5 games.
Mariner has played Silva 379 minutes through 10 games, including 3 starts, 5 Subbed On games (including a 4 minute sub against NY) and 2 with no action at all

Objectively speaking, who used Silva more?

PS. It's not a trick question.

GlenM
07-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Anyone know or was there an explanation as to why no Card (Yellow\Red) given (shown) to Colorado (player) at the early part of the game and we got a penalty off it?

That seemed very odd.

Then we couldn't get a break for almost the rest of the game.

GlenM

trane
07-19-2012, 03:04 PM

4-3-1-2. Pretty standard formation, even in the MLS.

Canary10
07-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Winter played Silva 471 minutes through 10 games, including 5 starts, 3 Subbed On games and 2 with no action at all. And re: not using him earlier in the season, he was a starter in 3 of the first 5 games.
Mariner has played Silva 379 minutes through 10 games, including 3 starts, 5 Subbed On games (including a 4 minute sub against NY) and 2 with no action at all

Oh, well there you go. He actually got more minutes. In fairness to both Mariner and Winter, I haven't seen enough good play out of him yet to think he's a starter.

Canary10
07-19-2012, 03:09 PM
4-3-1-2. Pretty standard formation, even in the MLS.

Yeah that would also be a better fit. As I think you pointed out, we even played that for a game or two.

Ajax TFC
07-19-2012, 03:09 PM

Silva was getting fair playing time as either starter or an early sub in most games in March and April yet he was pretty bad even though he was playing in the center. you're right, it's not a coincidence that Silva's playing well now, but no it doesn't have to do with his playing time. I already stated in my earlier post why Silva was bad under Winter and better under Mariner:

now that I'm not on an Iphone, I'll say why I actually think that Silva didn't work under Winter. Winter saw Silva as a midfielder and so he played him in the midfield. The problem with that was that an attacking midfielder in Winter's system has to be able to drop deep and distribute to the wings and create space. Whereas he prefers to stay near the striker and play off of him. That caused Winter's 4-3-3 to fall apart when he was on the pitch because it would become a 4-2-4 with the two midfielders playing closer to the defense line than the forward line. After a few games I said that he should either be played on the wing or as a striker.
Mariner's system fits him better because he can let the other players work on getting the ball up the pitch and then play off of the striker
If there's one player that Winter used completely wrong this year, it was Avlia, but you can't really put that on him since Mariner's doing the same thing

ManUtd4ever
07-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Nice try.

You conveniently left out the matches wherein Silva was unavailable for selection becasue he was suspended indefinitely for his misconduct in Houston.

Anyone who has watched this club can acknowledge that Mariner has played Silva far more extensively and effectively than Winter ever did when Silva was available on the game day roster.

Ajax TFC
07-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Nice try.

You conveniently left out the matches wherein Silva was unavailable for selection becasue he was suspended indefinitely for his misconduct in Houston.

Anyone who has watched this club can acknowledge that Mariner has played Silva far more extensively and effectively than Winter ever did when Silva was available on the game day roster.
that was one game, but if you want to include it:
Mariner 379min/9games=42.11min/game
Winter 471min/10games=47.1min/game

Pookie
07-19-2012, 03:43 PM

Assuming Mariner would have even selected him. Silva's starts all came in the last 3 games. In June and early July, he wasn't going to him very much at all:

Date:

7/8/2012
Game

TOR @ PHI
Result

L 0-3
Status

Subbed On
Minutes

7/4/2012
TOR @ DAL
T 1-1
Subbed On

6/30/2012
NY @ TOR
T 1-1
Subbed On

6/27/2012
TOR @ MTL
W 3-0
Unused Sub

6/23/2012
NE @ TOR
T 2-2
Subbed On

6/20/2012
TOR @ HOU
T 3-3
Unused Sub

6/16/2012
TOR @ KC
L 0-2
Subbed On

ManUtd4ever
07-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Assuming Mariner would have even selected him. Silva's starts all came in the last 3 games. In June and early July, he wasn't going to him very much at all:

Date:

7/8/2012

Game

TOR @ PHI

Result

L 0-3

Status

Subbed On

Minutes

7/4/2012

TOR @ DAL

T 1-1

Subbed On

6/30/2012

NY @ TOR

T 1-1

Subbed On

6/27/2012

TOR @ MTL

W 3-0

Unused Sub

6/23/2012

NE @ TOR

T 2-2

Subbed On

6/20/2012

TOR @ HOU

T 3-3

Unused Sub

6/16/2012

TOR @ KC

L 0-2

Subbed On

Here's an interesting statistic:

Total goals/assists for Silva in 10 games under Winter - 0

Total goals/assists for Silva since then under Mariner - 2 goals, 2 assists

Objectively speaking Pookie, who has gotten more out of Silva?

PS. It's not a trick question

denime
07-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Silva was picked by Winter after they could not get Kyle Becker as home grown player,had K.Becker signed for TFC,Silva would not be picked at the draft,they would go for a defender.

Good for both players,Silva has good year so far,K.Becker is suppose to be top 3-5 draft pick,if he decides to go to draft this year.

PopePouri
07-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Silva was picked by Winter after they could not get Kyle Becker as home grown player

Where's the evidence for that?

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2012, 06:16 PM
We won the game yesterday, right? It's hard to tell sometimes.

- Scott

Ajax TFC
07-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Here's an interesting statistic:

Total goals/assists for Silva in 10 games under Winter - 0

Total goals/assists for Silva since then under Mariner - 2 goals, 2 assists

Objectively speaking Pookie, who has gotten more out of Silva?

PS. It's not a trick question
you pretty much just proved that you don't actually know why Silva is playing better under Mariner, you just know that he is. We all already know that he is playing better now, the discussion was about why he's preforming better now.

Ajax TFC
07-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Where's the evidence for that?It was reported by someone. you want other people to go back half a year to find evidence for you because you missed it? Most people's memories don't have a works cited page liked to them.

denime
07-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Where's the evidence for that?

You want evidence,go back 6-7 months and check the threads,as far Becker story I know from people that deal with NCAA players and MLS.

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2012, 07:10 PM
you pretty much just proved that you don't actually know why Silva is playing better under Mariner, you just know that he is. We all already know that he is playing better now, the discussion was about why he's preforming better now.

In such a small sample size, it's impossible to say. Maybe it's because he's being better utilized tactically. Maybe it's because of where he's being slotted in. Maybe it's just pure statistical inevitability that he was going to eventually get some points.

- Scott

Redpunkfiddle
07-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Here are my thoughts:

CuWQfMGjZF4&feature=related

Pookie
07-19-2012, 09:23 PM

Not directed at you but the Silva conversation in general

Maybe we should be giving some of the credit for Silva's recent performance to Silva himself? The kid who just lost his father and who dedicated his first goal to him? Maybe he is dealing with his grief in such a way that he is now more focused as it helps him deal with the pain. Maybe the arrest was a wake up call and he didn't want to piss his career away and ultimately decided to take his second chance seriously.

Personally, to pick oneself up after those two events shows the remarkable character of the player and the strength of his support network and upbringing. To want to attribute it all to a coach takes away from what he has overcome.

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Not directed at you but the Silva comversation in general

Maybe we should be giving some of the credit for Silva's recent performance to Silva himself? The kid who just lost his father and who dedicated his first goal to him? Maybe he is dealing with his grief in such a way that he is now more focused as it helps him deal with the pain. Maybe the arrest was a wake up call and he didn't want to piss his career away and ultimately decided to take his second chance seriously.

Personally, to pick oneself up after those two events shows the remarkable character of the player and the strength of his support network and upbringing. To want to attribute it all to a coach takes away from what he has overcome.

True enough. You can direct the kid all you want, but he's still the one who has to go out there and do it.

- Scott

lobo
07-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Remember what PM did at the end of the match, that was probably for the bitch from the Van Shitcraps last game that did the exact same hand gesture when mattocks scored in the 90'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqoVO9RI5I

well, that's imaginative ... dunfield's winner in that game was a better and more timely reply

not sure why mariner did that 'up yours' celebration end of game, but it sure was amusing ... was he aiming that at the Colorado bench? or at someone in the crowd behind TFC bench, maybe somebody heckling him all game? or as someone said earlier in this thread just mariner being overly excited and awkward.

i was watching on a Colorado broadcast stream, and the announcers were left speechless when mariner did his 'bras d'honneur' dance. finally one of them says 'well that'll get the MLS attention' ... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvupA564L4c

Super
07-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Inspired my avatar.. heh

ryan
07-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Maybe Mariner reads the boards and the blogs, sees the hate for him and hoofball and is uppin it to the fans.

Pookie
07-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Johnny Carver did something similar in Columbus didn't he? Can't find video of it but I seem to recall him having a "word" for someone behind the bench after TFC scored.

T-boy
07-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Maybe Mariner reads the boards and the blogs, sees the hate for him and hoofball and is uppin it to the fans.

did you see him say "t-boy, I love you" at one point?! :p

Super
07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
A lot of people put little faith in Mariner, even when he was winning us points. I'm fine with him doing an "Up Yours" to all of us this one time - as a way to respond to the criticism. Thing is: he's done extremely well so far. Just don't do it after every win lol

A Stick
07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
The problem is Super that he has done it more than once at the end of a game.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2012, 09:50 AM
LOL, I seriously doubt that Mariner's giving TFC supporters the "up yours salute" after every win at BMO Field, unless of course he spotted a few of his critics here on RPB Forums sitting behind the bench, in which case I don't blame him at all. :D

mdc 77
07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
I have to LOL...are "supporters" on this message board now pissed at our manager because he is showing too much passion? lol again.

I wonder what kind of vitriol will be spewed towards Mariner if he becomes the first manger to lead TFC to 4 straight victories?

DoubleUp
07-20-2012, 11:01 AM
I think its more of a reaction than gesture towards anybody in particular.

Sorta like kocic's fbomb

ryan
07-20-2012, 11:07 AM
did you see him say "t-boy, I love you" at one point?! :p

Yeah, that was when he came to visit you in the MLSE suite. :D

ryan
07-20-2012, 11:09 AM
LOL, I seriously doubt that Mariner's giving TFC supporters the "up yours salute" after every win at BMO Field, unless of course he spotted a few of his critics here on RPB Forums sitting behind the bench, in which case I don't blame him at all. :D

I wish us RU's had sig options so I could put a disclaimer that 99% of what I post is either meant in jest or sarcasm. :D

But in seriousness, I did spot a couple people stand up and yell at him during the 1st half, that definitely did happen. Once after the RJ PK fail and I can't recall the other time, but from my vantage point in 221 I saw it at least twice. If you want proof of my view I'm on the Game in 6 after the RJ goal :D

Super
07-20-2012, 11:15 AM
The problem is Super that he has done it more than once at the end of a game.

That's just ... odd. Never seen that sort of behaviour from a manager before. Either way, I'm not offended. As long as we're winning. Wouldn't put up with it if we started losing. But he must know that.

Super
07-20-2012, 11:17 AM
I wish us RU's had sig options so I could put a disclaimer that 99% of what I post is either meant in jest or sarcasm. :D

But in seriousness, I did spot a couple people stand up and yell at him during the 1st half, that definitely did happen. Once after the RJ PK fail and I can't recall the other time, but from my vantage point in 221 I saw it at least twice. If you want proof of my view I'm on the Game in 6 after the RJ goal :D

So he's telling them to go fuck themselves. Good for him. Supporters shouldn't be bitching at a manager who is genuinely trying, and succeeding so far, in turning around the club.

Fort York Redcoat
07-20-2012, 11:21 AM

Yeah that's pretty funny because I think those fans are idiots but it's not a good play on his part. Not worth repeating. OTHER teams stadiums? Go crazy...

ensco
07-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I loved the Mariner celebration. Somebody needs to set do a video compilation of Mariner in game, done as Riverdance.

Derko
07-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Yeah, that was when he came to visit you in the MLSE suite. :D

I didn't know 't-boy' has a seat in the box, I thought it was just me:drinking:

Derko
07-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I loved the Mariner celebration. Somebody needs to set do a video compilation of Mariner in game, done as Riverdance.

That would be fun!!

v00d00daddy
07-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm probably in the minority but I think he looks foolish. Not just at the end of the game when he's doing "fuck yous" to who knows who....but all game.

He rants and raves up and down the line and never shuts up or sits down.

It's unprofessional and it would be...10 wins or 10 losses in a row.

ensco
07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm probably in the minority but I think he looks foolish. Not just at the end of the game when he's doing "fuck yous" to who knows who....but all game.

He rants and raves up and down the line and never shuts up or sits down.

It's unprofessional and it would be...10 wins or 10 losses in a row.

I know what you mean. I thought this at first. It is totally bush league, let's face it.

But then I thought, who cares anyway? We suck. It's amusing. Plus we're winning.

I've decided upon reflection that, in a world with not enough to laugh about, I'm definitely good with this!

lobo
07-20-2012, 12:29 PM
I have to LOL...are "supporters" on this message board now pissed at our manager because he is showing too much passion? lol again.

I wonder what kind of vitriol will be spewed towards Mariner if he becomes the first manger to lead TFC to 4 straight victories?

nope. we're just talking about it. wondering who, or if, he directed the up yours at. personally, i'm very amused by mariner's passion. looks like it is transferring to the players.

Richard
07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
I know what you mean. I thought this at first. It is totally bush league, let's face it.

But then I thought, who cares anyway? We suck. It's amusing. Plus we're winning.

I've decided upon reflection that, in a world with not enough to laugh about, I'm definitely good with this!

I have to say Mariner is growing on me, the guy is exciting and if he can show he deserves the job im fine with him as our manager going forward.