PDA

View Full Version : In the future I would like to see MLS have a system similiar to MLB

gracos
07-14-2012, 12:12 AM
I like that you can send up and down players, and believe instead of expanding MLS bigger we could use a similiar system to MLB and AAA, AA. I took some time to write up a list of teams and would like to know your opinion, it would definitely be a way we could properly develop talent without having to draft the talent, and would make it a lot more interesting

Here is my list of teams and their farm team

MLS
Chicago Fire
NASL (Minneapolis)
USL Pro (Milwaukee)

Columbus Crew
NASL (Detroit)
USL Pro (Indianapolis)

D.C. United
NASL (Raleigh)
USL Pro (Charleston)

Houston Dynamo
NASL (Austin)
USL Pro (New Orleans)

Montreal Impact
NASL (Quebec City)
USL Pro (Halifax)

New England Revolution
NASL (Providence)
USL Pro (Syracuse)

New York Red Bulls
NASL (Albany)
USL Pro (Buffalo)

Philadelphia Union
NASL (Pittsburgh)
USL Pro (Harrisburg)

Sporting Kansas City
NASL (St. Louis)
USL Pro (Des Moines)

Toronto FC
NASL (Ottawa)
USL Pro (London)

C.D. Chivas USA
NASL (Puerto Rico)
USL Pro (Antigua)

Colorado Rapids
NASL (Phoenix)
USL Pro (Albuquerque)

FC Dallas
NASL (Oklahoma City)
USL Pro (Memphis)

Los Angeles Galaxy
NASL (San Diego)
USL Pro (Las Vegas)

Portland Timbers
NASL (Salem)
USL Pro (Boise)

Real Salt Lake
NASL (Reno)
USL Pro (Cheyenne)

San Jose Earthquakes
NASL (San Francisco)
USL Pro (Sacramento)

Seattle Sounders FC
NASL (Spokane)
USL Pro (Olympia)

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
NASL (Edmonton)
USL Pro (Calgary)

kodiakTFC
07-14-2012, 12:31 AM
So you got Edmonton being relegated to USL? I'd rather see promotion/relegation eventually; doubtful tho.

[NBF]
07-14-2012, 07:49 AM
So you got Edmonton being relegated to USL? I'd rather see promotion/relegation eventually; doubtful tho.

Yeah without promotion and relegation its a safe bet that the league is headed in that direction of farm teams. I think loaning players to North American Leagues is an issue that will be revisited due to the US Open Cup and Canadian Championship. As well as compensation for teams looking to loan a player from the higher/lower leagues, either for a fee, or transfer.

Quebec City has an NASL team?

TOBOR !
07-14-2012, 08:37 AM
I respect the effort you have put into this topic.

Alonso
07-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Interesting thought.

Relegation to and from these leagues would be my preference though...

MartinUtd
07-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Interesting thought, the only thing about it I don't like is that it does not incorporate any of the Canadian lower tier league's. We've have a bit of experience already with TFCA and the Kocic loan to Serbian White Eagles. I'd just hate to see an opportunity lost to bring the CSL and any other league's into the development fold. Really though, the most ideal loan scenario is one that's not bound by region, but only the opportunity to do business. I see no reason why a top flight club has to be mapped up to one NASL team and one PDL team.

Also, relegation isn't happening. Ever. The distances involved and lack of infrastructure at the lower levels is only the beginning of the problems. Broadcasting contracts would be shredded and fans alienated in the process. Scoff at the notion of fans switching off after their team gets relegated, but the financial hardships are all too real for a struggling club in a competitive market.

Pookie
07-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Have we thought about the salaries to go along with a system like this?

honestly, if making it to MLS gives you a 40k annual stipend, I shudder to think what the guy playing for Ottawa or London would make. I can't see many minor-pro type players sticking with it for the long haul.

MLB players can at least eek out a living given signing bonuses and salaries. MLS hopeful players might find themselves leaving their boots for the work world in a hurry.

Fort York Redcoat
07-14-2012, 03:38 PM
I'd love to see a closer link to the different tiers of the game but we have a long way to go. If you don't start for an MLS side you don't get enough time to develop.

The Reserves don't get enough games, The NASL, USL, PDL, CSL have too much skill level gap in between them. There was talk in previous years to someday have USL become MLS2(no promotion) but then the teams and owners split from the USL to be NASL. It may be better for competition but it slows development overall.