PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Johnson

Rudy
07-13-2012, 08:09 PM
What's the deal with RJ? he wastes so many crucial chances to soccer. Three last Wednesday. three simple, guaranteed chances. he gets easily frustrated at his own poor performance. this guy just cannot score. he also doesnt pass to others, cannot run, and lookslike he just wants to cry all the time. i think he is overrated; time to go....

narduch
07-13-2012, 08:13 PM
That's how he's always been. San Jose gave him up for a reason.

We were blinded by a few great performances after he arrived, but what we are seeing now is the real Ryan Johnson.

jabbronies
07-13-2012, 08:34 PM
He wasn't brought in to be the number 1 striker, that's why we have Danny K.
3 goals 4 assists isn't horrible. Not sure why you think we were blinded. I wouldn't put him on a petistile, but I wouldn't send him to the bench either.

I think in the 4-4-2 we are playing, he is going to get a lot more chances.

TOBOR !
07-13-2012, 08:43 PM
around and around we go. Just substitute Ryan Johnson for Chad Barrett in any one of these threads (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/search.php?searchid=51323).

It has always been thus.

ryan
07-13-2012, 08:48 PM
RJ's strike rate is abysmal in MLS. Always has been, likely always will be.

Dreadlocks
07-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Not sure what issue anyone could have is with RJ. He's played every minute of every game this year and always gives 100%. He's totally a typical striker. When he's hot like the way he started the year, he nails every chance he gets. When he's not hot he needs a few chances to hit the back of the net. I'm sure we all know the cliche, "as long as he's getting chances he's ok". He is getting in good positions; it's just not going in right now.

Before Danny K got hot I know a lot of people were questioning him. Now he is just about a god because of his tremendous strike rate.

imho, RJ may not be scoring right now but he's not whats wrong with the team

Rudy
07-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Not sure what issue anyone could have is with RJ. He's played every minute of every game this year and always gives 100%. He's totally a typical striker. When he's hot like the way he started the year, he nails every chance he gets. When he's not hot he needs a few chances to hit the back of the net. I'm sure we all know the cliche, "as long as he's getting chances he's ok". He is getting in good positions; it's just not going in right now.

Before Danny K got hot I know a lot of people were questioning him. Now he is just about a god because of his tremendous strike rate.

3 missed guaranteed chances, and you don't classify as wrong?
consider his position, and the guaranteed chances he gets and misses!

OgtheDim
07-13-2012, 10:11 PM
He does the terrier striker role very well. Thus, he creates room for Koevs by barging around all over the place.

But we could and should do better then him up there. There are belligerent strikers who can actually score.

ryan
07-13-2012, 10:52 PM

It's not going in right now, last year or the year before.

100% fact.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2012/5/21/3035257/stats-shot-rates-and-the-outliers-in-new-york-and-toronto
http://www.sounderatheart.com/2011/4/6/2094798/stats-dropping-shots-on-goal-out-of-the-picture

At the other end we have Ryan Johnson (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/mls/players/111323/ryan-johnson), who last year was either uncommonly terrible or just unlucky. I'm going on the theory that he was unlucky and that he should see a significant increase in his Strike Rate (and public perception) this season if he's given the opportunity,

Now let's look at Toronto. They've spread it around a little more, but 98 of their 141 shots have come from 6 players. The leader in shots is Ryan Johnson (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/mls/players/111323/ryan-johnson), who's scored 1 goal in league play on 28 shots, for a comically bad strike rate of 3.6%. The moment I saw Johnson's name, an alarm went off in my head, because he's shown up in our stats articles in the past. For example, in this article (http://www.sounderatheart.com/2011/4/6/2094798/stats-dropping-shots-on-goal-out-of-the-picture) I use him as an example of a player with an unusually low strike rate and therefore someone who might be due to rebound. He even got top billing in the accompanying photo and caption. Well, it turns out that he was not due for a rebound year. In 2011 for San Jose and Toronto he scored 3 goals in 46 shots for a strike rate of 6.5%. Better than his 2010 year of 2.7%, but not good. With three years of stats to look at, I'm comfortable coming to the conclusion that Ryan Johnson isn't unlucky. He's just a really bad striker. Consider how good San Jose has become now that he's been replaced by Steven Lenhart. And consider how bad Toronto has become now that he's the offensive focus. My apologies to the Johnson family, but facts are facts.

daner90
07-13-2012, 10:53 PM
His performance in the CCL last year alone makes him worth keeping...

Yohan
07-13-2012, 11:02 PM
His performance in the CCL last year alone makes him worth keeping...
great. let's keep him for the 4 games TFC will play in CCL this year?

As much as I think RJ has a role in TFC, mainly due to his tenacity and ability to play multiple positions, I don't think he should be starting every game. He's just not consistent enough in front of goals. Gotta love his Cup goal scoring stats though

DoubleUp
07-13-2012, 11:18 PM

This alone should tell people to find something else to moan about. Despite the misses(fustrating) the most consistent performer this season.

WestStandGeoff
07-13-2012, 11:42 PM
around and around we go. Just substitute Ryan Johnson for Chad Barrett in any one of these threads (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/search.php?searchid=51323).

It has always been thus.

Funny... right after he missed on the 1-on-1 where the ball bounced off the Shitecraps defender into him giving the direct chance on goal, I turned to my wife and said "oh no, he's the new Chad Barrett".

And for the record, I always liked Chad.

123 elite
07-13-2012, 11:48 PM
He's like a cross between O'Brien White, Ali Gerba and a lame horse. Whats with the hopping about all bandy legged all the time.

narduch
07-14-2012, 06:49 AM
He wasn't brought in to be the number 1 striker, that's why we have Danny K.
3 goals 4 assists isn't horrible. Not sure why you think we were blinded. I wouldn't put him on a petistile, but I wouldn't send him to the bench either.

I think in the 4-4-2 we are playing, he is going to get a lot more chances.

Blinded probably wasn't the right way to describe it. More like expectations were raised.

denime
07-14-2012, 07:42 AM
This alone should tell people to find something else to moan about. Despite the misses(fustrating) the most consistent performer this season.

in missing 100% chances and sitters.

It is nothing new that people of Toronto like blue collar players no matter how shit their skill and strike rate is,while players like R.Johnosn or Duneflied would be bench warmers in any other MLS team,here in TO they are Starters and only reason why is "they play hard"while the rest of the team plays smart,go figure.

He is one legged striker and that's why his strike rate is poor,by the time he makes that extra turn to set himself for the left leg he puts him self in shitty position to score or get blocked by defender.

Stouffville_RPB
07-14-2012, 08:57 AM
That didn't take long. I guess RJ is going to be the new scapegoat with JDG gone.

This is the same RJ that has been here all along. He does bring something to the team and has a work rate that the manager loves.

People need to realize that this is the prototypical MLS striker. If MLS could produce strikers that we're clinical and scored every opportunity they get other team would scoop them up. There is a reason why most teams that sign DPs use it on strikers.

DoubleUp
07-14-2012, 09:00 AM
in missing 100% chances and sitters.

It is nothing new that people of Toronto like blue collar players no matter how shit their skill and strike rate is,while players like R.Johnosn or Duneflied would be bench warmers in any other MLS team,here in TO they are Starters and only reason why is "they play hard"while the rest of the team plays smart,go figure.

He is one legged striker and that's why his strike rate is poor,by the time he makes that extra turn to set himself for the left leg he puts him self in shitty position to score or get blocked by defender.

No in taking the field for us in every game thus far, in getting the campaign started with Tfcs first goals this season.

You dont have to tell me what he lacks(trust me I know).

Still doesnt negate the fact that he has always been there to be called upon, and was one of the key protagonist in the 3-0 trouncing of montreal.
people always comment about his attitude but the funny thing is he`s never been sent off in his Mls career, unlike other fan favourites. So no he is not Klass jan huntelaar, if he was even close to that he probably wouldnt be in this team or this league.

But I still stand by my statement TFC`s most consistent player this season.

So if we are gonna make threads talking about what certain players dont do right, we should make one for all of them.

Brooker
07-14-2012, 09:03 AM
This thread wouldn't exist if he didn't hit the post.

Stouffville_RPB
07-14-2012, 09:51 AM
^ have some + rep brooker

Ajax TFC
07-14-2012, 10:42 AM
I find this idea of scapegoating rather funny. As if the quality of players that we field has absolutely nothing to do with the position that we always find our selves in. You might as well say that "crappy players is the reality for TFC". Good teams have good starters, non playoff teams have mediocre to bad players in their starting lineups. It might be a credit to RJ that he`s played every minute, but it certainly is not a credit to TFC that they`ve played a striker with such a bad strike rate every minute of the season. If anything it`s a sign of how bad we are.

It is not the reality of MLS to have a squad like ours. The reality is that TFC has a squad with crappy players every year. People need to realize that, `cause right now management could go pick up the shittiest players in the world and some people would still defend them as being important players for an MLS team

MartinUtd
07-14-2012, 10:52 AM
He's our Jamaican Emile Heskey, isn't that great?

Phil
07-14-2012, 10:53 AM
I like Ryan and I see him missing chances all the time, but look at his playing time, the guy hasn't had a break. A little rest might be a good thing.

jloome
07-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I like Ryan and I see him missing chances all the time, but look at his playing time, the guy hasn't had a break. A little rest might be a good thing.

I think people need to be aware of a few things:

1. His strike rate from San Jose is a bullshit statistic; he only played striker there for about five months in 2009. He played wide forward and winger the rest of the time, so much of his shooting was from outside the box or angles. When he did play striker, he scored eight in 18 starts, so he wasn't awful. In fact, this is right before they started playing Wondo, and Johnson was their main striker.
2. The guy scores highlight real goals from around the top of the box (three already this year). So his finishing isn't the problem. It's his finishing IN CLOSE, because he has a long stride and a slow release. These are actually things a good coach could somewhat mitigate if paying attention; given that Mariner is an ex-striker of some note, that might yet happen.
3. He delivers a decent cross, he passes well, he closes down poorly but tackles well.

For MLS, Johnson has a good package of skills. Again this is the first time he's played close to the six-yard box in four seasons, so that might just come around, too. In case anyone hasn't noticed, Danny K went eight games without a goal at one point and missed several in close. It happens.

Again, this gets blown from "it happens" to "he's a bum" because he hit one post, let one go late and was stoned by the keeper, and some guy wrote an analysis that didn't account for positioning.

Alonso
07-14-2012, 02:52 PM
He's good depth at the striker position for this team.

Definitely worth keeping around, I think he will only get better, and that he has done well for us so far.

Fort York Redcoat
07-14-2012, 02:57 PM
If he was our top striker I'd be more ornery about it. As it is I think if he stops whining and be ok with his role up there he'd be a part of almost double the amount of scoring chances.

T-boy
07-14-2012, 03:59 PM
I prefered Chad Barrett, but the are pretty similar in terms of goals, but Chad was a much better workhorse than RJ. I'm not a big fan of RJ, really. He gets frustrated way too easily and puts himself off his own game sometimes!

ryan
07-14-2012, 08:53 PM
That didn't take long. I guess RJ is going to be the new scapegoat with JDG gone.

This is the same RJ that has been here all along. He does bring something to the team and has a work rate that the manager loves.

People need to realize that this is the prototypical MLS striker. If MLS could produce strikers that we're clinical and scored every opportunity they get other team would scoop them up. There is a reason why most teams that sign DPs use it on strikers.

Not really, people have been making these comments about RJ for a while now...because the facts reported aren't new, they are years of data.

I have no idea how you can call any player in sport a prototype when they fail to fulfill the main role of their job to anything other than an unsatisfactory level. Sort MLS player stats by goals scored and count the number of players with sub 10% strike rates. There's just 3 in the top 25, and only one player in the top 50 has a worse strike rate than he. This is not prototypical at all.

Davenport
07-16-2012, 11:28 AM
If we're going to improve we need to do better than Johnson.

I disagree with you on principle

T-boy
07-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Not really, people have been making these comments about RJ for a while now...because the facts reported aren't new, they are years of data.

I have no idea how you can call any player in sport a prototype when they fail to fulfill the main role of their job to anything other than an unsatisfactory level. Sort MLS player stats by goals scored and count the number of players with sub 10% strike rates. There's just 3 in the top 25, and only one player in the top 50 has a worse strike rate than he. This is not prototypical at all.

Wasn't there a "favourite player" poll earlier in the season on this forum and RJ came out on top, or very close to top?

DangerRed
07-16-2012, 11:35 AM
He's like a cross between O'Brien White, Ali Gerba and a lame horse. Whats with the hopping about all bandy legged all the time.

Wow - the level of football commentary on this board just keeps hitting new heights.

Of all the numerous and varied shit-eaters on this squad, you guys are choosing to pick on one of the guys who's shown the most heart and dedication. Great choice. Really hope he doesn't come across this thread.

We have lots to bitch and moan about. Let's do better than this.

T-boy
07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Wow - the level of football commentary on this board just keeps hitting new heights.

Of all the numerous and varied shit-eaters on this squad, you guys are choosing to pick on one of the guys who's shown the most heart and dedication. Great choice. Really hope he doesn't come across this thread.

Agreed those comparison's are just stupid. Chad Barrett is a better comparison, for sure. All heart, but no goalscoring composure sometimes. Cahd was a bit more of a workhorse, Johnson has better technical ability.

Stryker
07-16-2012, 03:16 PM
RJ - Our best hope for goals..... YIKES!!

reggie
07-16-2012, 03:29 PM
we got the new kid"the best finisher in modern era....wtf.PM must of been at pub before that quote.

__wowza
07-16-2012, 03:36 PM

agreed, but you have to admit, blowing 3-5 clear goalscoring opportunities (including 3 breakaways) in the last 2 games doesn't put us at ease. the vancouver game, he could've had the winner, the revs game he could've had the brace. when we're potentially looking for a long term solution in the striker role, heart and dedication won't net anything.

you can see that he's starting to get frustrated, but is he going to turn that frustration into goals, or is it going to consume him?

ManUtd4ever
07-16-2012, 05:42 PM

Agreed.

DangerRed
07-16-2012, 10:31 PM
agreed, but you have to admit, blowing 3-5 clear goalscoring opportunities (including 3 breakaways) in the last 2 games doesn't put us at ease. the vancouver game, he could've had the winner, the revs game he could've had the brace. when we're potentially looking for a long term solution in the striker role, heart and dedication won't net anything.

you can see that he's starting to get frustrated, but is he going to turn that frustration into goals, or is it going to consume him?

It's football, these things come and go. He seems pretty strong mentally, and so was Chad Barrett, and so is Fernando Torres. He might be on a bad streak of clear chances that he failed to put away, but to bash the guy just seems ridiculous.

I mean really, TFC fans have everything under the sun to complain about, from the Bud in the concessions to the FO nonsense to the garbage on the pitch, but this guy isn't it.

Jcm144
07-17-2012, 02:14 PM
He started out vert strong, he's just had trouble finishing for quite a long time. Then again, he isn't our primary striker, thats why we have Koev. But I think he will turn it around, and start connecting on a few of his opportunities

Wingback6
07-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Not sure if it's been stated yet, but his strike rate is nearly that which he had with SJ. If it was lower, he'd be a bust, higher: a gem, it being the same makes him a bargain.

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Not sure if it's been stated yet, but his strike rate is nearly that which he had with SJ. If it was lower, he'd be a bust, higher: a gem, it being the same makes him a bargain.
a bargain???? we gave up Alan fucking Gordon to get him, as well as a serviceable CB and a winger (who I would have given away for free but that's beside the point). Gordon's only problem was his health, which can probably be blamed on the medical staff for clearing him to play when he had a nagging injury. But when he did play he was great. I wouldn't think twice about taking him over Johnson, even if it meant that we had to take Peterson as well.

A player is only a bargain if you get more than you give up, and in this case, we certainly did not get more out of Johnson than what we gave up in Alan Gordon

Yohan
07-18-2012, 06:13 AM
a bargain???? we gave up Alan fucking Gordon to get him, as well as a serviceable CB and a winger (who I would have given away for free but that's beside the point). Gordon's only problem was his health, which can probably be blamed on the medical staff for clearing him to play when he had a nagging injury. But when he did play he was great. I wouldn't think twice about taking him over Johnson, even if it meant that we had to take Peterson as well.

A player is only a bargain if you get more than you give up, and in this case, we certainly did not get more out of Johnson than what we gave up in Alan Gordon hindsight is 20/20...

jabbronies
07-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Whatever his funk is right now - be it mind games or just plain old bad luck, he needs to get the fuck over it and start producing. With Danny K out, this is his chance to become something more than just an average/below average mls striker.

Not sure what gets him going when he plays internationally, but someone get him some jerk chicken and goat curry as a pregame meal because that might be the answer to his problems.

TOBOR !
07-18-2012, 07:09 AM
he's never going to get another chance like the one he has now. Danny out. Plata and Soolsma gone. Wiedeman and Lambe essentially wide players. He's the only option for a central target.

If you think about it, if he regains confidence, with Silva sitting slighlty off him with Lambe to the side (jury not in yet on Wiedeman), there's potential there for some goals.

__wowza
07-18-2012, 08:33 AM
It's football, these things come and go. He seems pretty strong mentally, and so was Chad Barrett, and so is Fernando Torres. He might be on a bad streak of clear chances that he failed to put away, but to bash the guy just seems ridiculous.

I mean really, TFC fans have everything under the sun to complain about, from the Bud in the concessions to the FO nonsense to the garbage on the pitch, but this guy isn't it.

fair enough, but let's be reasonable.. if he continues to fluff chances, criticism will get worse. fans have short memory spans (like the dunfield bashing hitting a lull since his winner), but we're out a striker for the entire season, and from what i've read, possibly a lot of next season. long term it's making people nervous. hell, it makes me nervous. i wish it didn't, but it does.

plus, what else do you expect us to talk about? we've won two games in a row g:D

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 01:30 PM
hindsight is 20/20...
But he definitely was NOT a bargain. And the excuse that he isn't the primary striker is also ludicrous since one of the players we gave up for his was capable of being the primary striker

ManUtd4ever
07-18-2012, 01:56 PM

A player is only a bargain if you get more than you give up, and in this case, we certainly did not get more out of Johnson than what we gave up in Alan Gordon

Johnson has missed his chances as of late, but your assessment is unreasonably harsh.

Need I remind you or anyone else that he was the primary reason for our memorable CCL run, and that he finished just shy of the golden boot award for the tournament?

Some people have a very short memory around here. He has done more than enough for our club since his arrival to be given some slack for his poor run of form lately, and he definitely has the ability to bounce back.

ag futbol
07-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Comparisons to some of the other players (Chad Barrett) are unfair. Barrett did plenty of other stuff wrong besides not finish. Ryan Johnson is a far superior all around footballer.

Now he's got to put some more balls in the net, but if we were looking for a place to rag on the performances of our players... I think this would be about the last place I would go.

Greatest Ripoff
07-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Johnson has missed his chances as of late, but your assessment is unreasonably harsh.

Need I remind you or anyone else that he was the primary reason for our memorable CCL run, and that he finished just shy of the golden boot award for the tournament?

Some people have a very short memory around here. He has done more than enough for our club since his arrival to be given some slack for his poor run of form lately, and he definitely has the ability to bounce back.

The problem is everyone takes the stats that prove their points and ignore the ones that goes against it. I am not directing this at you, but if someone were to talk about Winter's start and include the CCL/VCUP matches as part of his record some posters would say they don't count. When judging players we should be looking at their total body of work in league and cup matches.

TOBOR !
07-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Barrett had a terrific work rate, as does Johnson. Barrett got himself into some good goal-scoring positions, as does Johnson. Barrett missed a lot of those chances...seemingly sitters at times.

Barrett was gone before he got the chance to break his slump.

ag futbol
07-18-2012, 02:34 PM
I think that "slump" is permanent.

TOBOR !
07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
The problem is everyone takes the stats that prove their points and ignore the ones that goes against it. I am not directing this at you, but if someone were to talk about Winter's start and include the CCL/VCUP matches as part of his record some posters would say they don't count. When judging players we should be looking at their total body of work in league and cup matches.

You mean people like Tom Anselmi ? Is he lurking on these boards ?

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 04:19 PM

my objection is to the claim that he was a bargain. Do you really think that RJ is better than Gordon? It's not like we gave them a couple pennies of allocation for him, we gave them a striker who played really well for us when fit, and has played well since as well.

AlanO
07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Barrett had a terrific work rate, as does Johnson. Barrett got himself into some good goal-scoring positions, as does Johnson. Barrett missed a lot of those chances...seemingly sitters at times.

Barrett was also making twice as much money.

Alan Gordon has a reputation for missing sitters too. Ask any Galaxy fan. He was effective with TFC, but over the course of his career, he's shanked a bunch too. And he really, really wanted to return to Cali.

Johnson's making ~$140K. He has 13 goals and a handful of assists in 47 appearances (all competitions). He's decent value, and personally I'd make that trade again. If nothing else, it's a good trade because it got rid of Peterson.. :)

Yohan
07-18-2012, 06:08 PM
my objection is to the claim that he was a bargain. Do you really think that RJ is better than Gordon? It's not like we gave them a couple pennies of allocation for him, we gave them a striker who played really well for us when fit, and has played well since as well.
At the time of trade, this trade opened up cap space by getting rid of peterson and a little from attakora. Tfc got a healthy striker while gordon was injury ridden. At the end of season gordon hardly played for sj while rj scored a lot of clutch goals for tfc. Nobody expected gordon to turn into mr clutch this season

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 07:09 PM
At the time of trade, this trade opened up cap space by getting rid of peterson and a little from attakora. Tfc got a healthy striker while gordon was injury ridden. At the end of season gordon hardly played for sj while rj scored a lot of clutch goals for tfc. Nobody expected gordon to turn into mr clutch this season
Gordon was injury ridden because TFCs medical staff didn't properly deal with his injury so they let him play anyways. When ge got to San Jose he was ruled out for the rest of the season almost right away. And I must be nobody since I didn't see any reason for him to not be clutch once healthy. He was clutch for us before the medical staff fucked him up

DoubleUp
07-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Gordon was injury ridden because TFCs medical staff didn't properly deal with his injury so they let him play anyways. When ge got to San Jose he was ruled out for the rest of the season almost right away. And I must be nobody since I didn't see any reason for him to not be clutch once healthy. He was clutch for us before the medical staff fucked him up

Well thats the past. No point to keep harping.

Ajax TFC
07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Well thats the past. No point to keep harping.
Harping? I just don't agree with the claim that he was a bargain.

DangerRed
07-18-2012, 08:02 PM
fair enough, but let's be reasonable.. if he continues to fluff chances, criticism will get worse. fans have short memory spans (like the dunfield bashing hitting a lull since his winner), but we're out a striker for the entire season, and from what i've read, possibly a lot of next season. long term it's making people nervous. hell, it makes me nervous. i wish it didn't, but it does.

plus, what else do you expect us to talk about? we've won two games in a row g:D

Guess tonight settles that, then. :D

ManUtd4ever
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM

I liked what Gordon brought to the team during his time here, but in my opinion, I would rather have Johnson. Johnson is more versatile, and he has also proven to be a far more durable player. It seems like the guy has played every minute of every match in MLS and the CCL since he's been here. He's a work horse with a deft touch and playmaking abilities that works well in tight spaces. If he was a better finisher he would be a star in this league.

DangerRed
07-18-2012, 10:21 PM
I liked what Gordon brought to the team during his time here, but in my opinion, I would rather have Johnson. Johnson is more versatile, and he has also proven to be a far more durable player. It seems like the guy has played every minute of every match in MLS and the CCL since he's been here. He's a work horse with a deft touch and playmaking abilities that works well in tight spaces. If he was a better finisher he would be a star in this league.

You're right, but only partly. I think saying RJ is more durable than Alan Gordon does a disservice to Alan's long and enduring MLS career. I'm biased because I think Alan is a really good guy in person, but even that said, I think most would agree he's the definition of serviceable workhorse in the MLS.

OgtheDim
07-18-2012, 10:26 PM
First half - Bad Johnson

Second half - Good Johnson (although still so left footed people will show him his right all the time)

Silva better.....

__wowza
07-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Guess tonight settles that, then. :D

can you pass me a fork? i need to eat my words..

OfficeGuy
07-19-2012, 11:44 AM
gott awatch his chances tho - they come from 50/50 fights for the ball - he fights to makes his chances - and last night's deft touch shows he is keeping his composure - good for him and good for the team

Max_TO
07-21-2012, 10:16 PM
I totally hear what some of you are saying about RJ but seeing how he didn't give up on the team during that cold brutal winter , cough cough , I think we can cut him some slack and see what the kid can do for the rest of the season .

Now with the team getting some wins behind them perhaps the sence of panic will calm down and allow him to relax and not try to rush his shots .

West220Side
07-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Ryan Johnson hate thread? I'll just turn this around...
Scattered thoughts on Ryan Johnson #9

Johnson has played very well (above average) while playing in CCL play.
Comment above on his frustration/easy to anger. You get frustrated when you play for your page. Maybe he's displaying disappointment in himself, but why? Because he's playing for his BADGE he's playing for his TEAM when he misses a sitter that he should have buried to take us ahead, yes, he's disappointed. Do you want him to think he's Messi even though he misses?
He's a real big physical presence in attack, you can watch him by pass the defenders, go around them, power through them.
Despite his size, he's not the slowest on the ball, and normally keeps control. Mariner stated in an interview joking about him having a 'third lung' tracking back to defend with his team as a unit.
He's pulling in $130,000 a year
2011 MLS - 3 Goals / 2 Assists
2012 MLS - 4 Goals / 4 Assists
2011 CCL - 5 Goals / (Don't remember the assists)
Also wasn't he awarded the most valueable player award for the Canadian Championship tournament?

Agreeing with anybody who's putting out their thoughts on his behalf. He plays for the team everytime he steps on the pitch, and gives it his all. He's not going out there and playing for the money, he's doing everything he can, how can you complain?