PDA

View Full Version : Nick Soolsma appreciation thread

Yohan
07-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Let's all the negativity out of thread, and just appreciation for Soolsma and what he did during his TFC career in this thread.

Thanks Soolsma for the all memories. Will never forget his goal away at LA that put TFC into semi finals of CCL this year. Most consistent player under Winter, despite all the flak he caught early in his TFC career.

Best of luck. You are one of my favourite players to wear the shirt

FreekAce
07-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Let's all the negativity out of thread, and just appreciation for Soolsma and what he did during his TFC career in this thread.

Thanks Soolsma for the all memories. Will never forget his goal away at LA that put TFC into semi finals of CCL this year. Most consistent player under Winter, despite all the flak he caught early in his TFC career.

Best of luck. You are one of my favourite players to wear the shirt

One of the best players we had in our arsenal, let go because of bullshit politics.

Het ga je goed Nickie!

ryan
07-12-2012, 08:52 AM
We should see if Nicky is still in town and invite him out for a drink. :D

Dbl_D
07-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Absolute crap unless they have a number of new bodies lined up for signing....Sools, and great job, and skill, tough to see ya go

Lucky Strike
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM
In my view, one of the most talented and effective players to ever the shirt. He keeps it so simple, it makes you wonder why so many other players in the MLS have difficulty replicating what he does. Also laid to rest the notion that we shouldn't dismiss a player based on what league he came from (a Dutch amateur league, 4th or 5th division I think), when assessing a new signing. Or even based on one appearance (I think we all remember his first 45 against Vancouver in 2011 were not great and people called him Slowsma). I seriously can't say enough good things about him, he will be missed for sure. I fully intend to follow his career from here on (as much as possible anyway).

Good luck Nick Change-up Soolsma! Beware the fuzz!

ManUtd4ever
07-12-2012, 09:41 AM
One of the most skilled wingers we've ever had, and he played a significant role in our memorable CCL run. I'm sad to see him go, and I wish him all the best.

Mariner better have a solid acquisition lined up to justify his release.

TOBOR !
07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
http://64.13.252.151/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3031&d=1342103733

bigredone
07-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Will miss you greatly Soolsma. He was a corner kick creating god.

No better name in MLS to yell while hammered.....Soooooooolsma, so much soul.

starter
07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the memories, was pleasure to watch you developing into a quiet star performer, and success in your further football career, Nick!

Ajax TFC
07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
One of the best wingers to wear the TFC shirt. One of the few players on the team who would fit into the right midfield role in Mariner's flat four, but he was let go because of bullshit politics.

At this point I fear for his career. He's pretty much made to destroy MLS defenders, powered by an incredible football mind and a decent skill set to go with it. I can't imagine that there are too many other leagues where football ball IQ is low enough to make him superior.

It will take a lot to make me get over this. I will miss him greatly

brad
07-12-2012, 11:05 AM
One of my favorite players, great ball control, I loved watching him take a man on. He will be missed, and I sincerely hope he finds a club - a much better one than us overseas

Greatest Ripoff
07-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Sad to see him go. Someone with real technical ability that didn't need speed to beat a man or get a cross in. This team will really miss him.

Thanks for the goal against LA that sent the team into the CCL semis and good luck in the future.

spark
07-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Won't forget his play in CCL at the start of the season. He was looking good by the end of last year, but those games were something else. Love seeing players grow and improve and like many others here echo it's a shame because he'd probably have become a very solid MLS player.

Richard
07-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Best of luck to him. I hope he finds another team to showcase what we are missing.

Initial B
07-12-2012, 12:13 PM
I really liked his play. it's just too bad that he ended up as one of the new coach's disfavoured. Soft landings, Nick!

Derko
07-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Best of luck Nick, always liked it when you stepped on the field, and got a kick out of you riding your bike along King after the games.
All the best from one of your best supporters.

BayernTFC
07-12-2012, 12:30 PM
It's been a pleasure to watch Nick play in TFC red. He'd certainly been one of the few bright spots for our squad this season. I won't forget his dominating performances against Santos Laguna during TFC's 2012 CCL run. Nick even forced Benjamin Galindo to make an early substitution to address his performance in Torreon. I hope the future brings him better and he is at least signed by a team in the Topklasse. All the best Nick!

mowe
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
One of my favourite players on this team, inexplicable to me why Mariner wouldn't play him. He could consistently beat his man on the wing and send in a good cross, something this team lacks. Had a fair salary to boot. I think our FO is cursed.

Hope he lands on his feet and finds a good club.

Walms
07-12-2012, 12:32 PM
This news sucks! after that Epic win last night, this is a real kick in the nuts.

Soolsma was a Great creative winger and his balls into the box were always on point, or resulted in our coner kicks! I was getting really excited to watch Lambe and Nick battle it out for that right wing spot, but yet again our FO Dissappointed me.

I have a feeling this will be another one of those trades that we all regret and talk about for years to come, epically if nick ends up staying in MLS

Best of luck Nick were ever your career takes you!

ensco
07-12-2012, 12:52 PM
The best player on the pitch in the Santos games was Nic Soolsma.

jloome
07-12-2012, 01:10 PM
One of the best wingers we've ever had, I thought he had a real future in MLS because his intelligence on the pitch was a step above MLS players.

He had three goals and seven assists in 32 appearances, but consider that about a third of those were off the bench and he's also one of the most productive wingers we've ever had.

He deserved better treatment from Mariner, and I think once again we're going to see an exodus/paring away of any players who aren't gung ho team, but too dumb to win.

Doucet3
07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Was a fan of the lad since day one when a lot of people didn't rate him, then he won over the supporters, I'm confused send absolutely gutted, was a great player and was out best winger, this move actually angers me, some moves in the past have pissed me off but this one just gets me angry.... Better be fucking signing someone good, disappointed, maybe he had things to do in Europe ? Idk either way Sools you are the man, good luk hopefully you sign with a decent top teir league in EU, Chers mate, gunna miss you

T-boy
07-12-2012, 04:03 PM
We should see if Nicky is still in town and invite him out for a drink. :D

or ten!

Canary10
07-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Gotta say, this move really pisses me off too. There's been a lot happening lately the just sucks any enthusiasm I have for this team (last night's dream ending aside). And I'm only in year 2 of my season's tickets. Don't know how you guys who have had them since day 1 keep going.

AlanO
07-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Too bad he's been released. One of my favourite players.

He's well-suited to MLS, especially a team that plays a 433. Watching Vancouver last night, I couldn't help but think about how formidable their offence would be, with Nick on the right wing sending crosses into Mattocks / Le Toux.

newb
07-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Too bad he's been released. One of my favourite players.

He's well-suited to MLS, especially a team that plays a 433. Watching Vancouver last night, I couldn't help but think about how formidable their offence would be, with Nick on the right wing sending crosses into Mattocks / Le Toux.

That's my fear...if another MLS team picks him up (such as Seattle, or RSL).

I liked Soolsma; he wasn't flashy, or scored that many goals but he was often influential and understood how to play the game. I'm disappointed (actually, angry) to see him go...but if he lands on another MLS team and helps them do something special I'll be extremely pissed...

AL-MO
07-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Fuckin' Magic he was!

jazzy
07-12-2012, 10:27 PM
pure class,....took men on, then the perfect pass.......too much the nice guy,...see where it gets you in a blue collar town......I'll nver forget the image of him riding his euro bicycle home dressed to kill with a suit bag in one hand.....,pure euro........gave soccer a decent image for a change

Code Red
07-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Best of luck Nick. You were a truly classy player and individual. Always positive and Toronto will miss your skill on the wing. FO politics may have forced you out but their loss is another club's gain. All the best to you and thanks for your contribution.

Suds
07-13-2012, 05:29 AM
Good young talent. I was shocked to hear TFC let him go. I think he may well have been the best winger TFC have had on our roster to date.

Fort York Redcoat
07-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Good luck Nick. You'll have no problem getting time elsewhere in this league if you choose to stay. If not, good luck wherever you may go.

lerxst
07-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Was a fan of the lad since day one when a lot of people didn't rate him, then he won over the supporters, I'm confused send absolutely gutted, was a great player and was out best winger, this move actually angers me, some moves in the past have pissed me off but this one just gets me angry.... Better be fucking signing someone good, disappointed, maybe he had things to do in Europe ? Idk either way Sools you are the man, good luk hopefully you sign with a decent top teir league in EU, Chers mate, gunna miss you

Couldn't have said it better myself...minus the mobile typos. All the best Nick! You'll be missed.

Blizzard
07-13-2012, 02:48 PM
One of the best wingers to wear the TFC shirt. One of the few players on the team who would fit into the right midfield role in Mariner's flat four, but he was let go because of bullshit politics.

At this point I fear for his career. He's pretty much made to destroy MLS defenders, powered by an incredible football mind and a decent skill set to go with it. I can't imagine that there are too many other leagues where football ball IQ is low enough to make him superior.

It will take a lot to make me get over this. I will miss him greatly

I totally agree and in that respect, he was too good for Mariner.
Veel geluk Nicky!

Rudy
07-13-2012, 07:32 PM
is it ok to ask on here why he was let go? people refer to "politics", but anyone has info on why he's out?

Thomas
07-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Previous posters already cover off many of the great points about Nick. In my opinion, he was a talentednwinger, and highly skilled. Someone you want to keep on our team. I won't forget some of the epic plays he made. I wish Nick Nick all the best in his future.

Chinatownchef
07-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Creative young player. Sad to see him go, could always pit him against 2 or 3 opposition defenders, with him coming out ahead. Best of luck Soolsma, I hope this is just the beginning of a great career for him. Who knows? we may see him again back in Reds uniform sometime?

Mak
07-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Very, very, very sad to see him go. Very young and talented. He could been here for years. I rate him much higher than most players. The lack of depth, especially on the wing or outside midfield has been highlighted further in the past couple of games. He was the best player to deliver crosses, especially with a two striker system he will sadly be missed. I truly do not understand the decision. I hope we get a much better replacement otherwise this was a Preki move. Thank you Nick. Best of luck.

Auzzy
07-14-2012, 11:30 PM
As others have said, I'm very sad that Soolsma is no longer with the team. Real talent. I loved the way he deked the Santos player into taking a seat on his ass during the game at BMO last year. Soolsma was a guy that really could have helped the team to maintain a bit of possession & take the constant pressure off the defence. This move doesn't make any sense to me.

TFC The Hague
07-17-2012, 06:31 AM
http://translate.google.com/translat...or-nieuwe-kans (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elfvoetbal.nl%2Fnieuws%2F200095 _soolsma-krijgt-bij-excelsior-nieuwe-kans)

Soolsma on trial with Excelsior Rotterdam.

Derko
07-17-2012, 07:06 AM
http://translate.google.com/translat...or-nieuwe-kans (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elfvoetbal.nl%2Fnieuws%2F200095 _soolsma-krijgt-bij-excelsior-nieuwe-kans)

Soolsma on trial with Excelsior Rotterdam.

Good to hear this, good luck Nick.

Just a thought that my wife brought up, let's give everyone the benefit of doudt, Nick came in with Winter, perhaps Winter was a father like figure as well as a coach to Nick, when Winter was let go/fired/resigned, Nick may have lost something, it happens to young people, feeling homesick, got in trouble in Houston, not getting much playing time, then left by mutual consent, perhaps this was a good thing for Nick.

Just a thought

TOBOR !
07-17-2012, 08:08 AM
I hope this isn't the guy he's replacing

http://web10.elfvoetbal.nl/upload/nieuws/image/2012/23/banner/11724_1339152904_dsc01158-hr.jpg