PDA

View Full Version : John Spencer Canned

prizby
07-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Welcome to the TFC road Timbers' fans

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/07/09/breaking-timbers-part-ways-spencer-amid-rough-stretch

[NBF]
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the TFC road Timbers' fans

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/07/09/breaking-timbers-part-ways-spencer-amid-rough-stretch

This is a stupid move, the team basically downgraded for a GM hungry to show he is in control and he can outcoach the previous coach. Its baffling how a team is suppose to get better with the same players as well.

prizby
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
;1509116']This is a stupid move, the team basically downgraded for a GM hungry to show he is in control and he can outcoach the previous coach. Its baffling how a team is suppose to get better with the same players as well.

a GM that had his hand in all the player aquisitions

DavydMT
07-09-2012, 10:35 PM
A Day in the Life of a PDX Sports Fan (http://timbersarmy.org/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-pdx-sports-fan), sounds very familiar, but i guess we are still not like Portland

ComedyOfErrors
07-09-2012, 10:57 PM
"I strongly believe any coach needs an adequate runway to be properly evaluated and that too many owners make coaching changes hastily," Paulson said, (Timbers Owner)

....hmmmmmm, he wouldn't be referring to ML$E would he?

ensco
07-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Robbo is supposedly one of the top candidates to take over ... Hmmmm

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/07/09/spencers-successor-top-5-candidates-portland-job

[NBF]
07-10-2012, 08:04 AM
a GM that had his hand in all the player aquisitions

So do we have it wrong and have the entire set up mixed up and we should have two different people to perform the Director of Football activities and head coaching duties. Would it have made sense to hire Winter as the Director, Mariner as the head coach, and Bob DeKlerk as a academy head?

If thats the case I think it wouldnt be a bad idea to keep DeKlerk in the academy and keep Mariner as the head coach, because clearly he doesnt have time to be a rampaging maniac and a director of football.

This would mean that the team only needs a Director of Football to hire within the next month and we might see some transfer coming in before the deadline. I'm implying we need a DOF that has scouting connections.

prizby
07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Robbo is supposedly one of the top candidates to take over ... Hmmmm

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/07/09/spencers-successor-top-5-candidates-portland-job

Simon Borg is an idiot

;1509229']So do we have it wrong and have the entire set up mixed up and we should have two different people to perform the Director of Football activities and head coaching duties. Would it have made sense to hire Winter as the Director, Mariner as the head coach, and Bob DeKlerk as a academy head?

If thats the case I think it wouldnt be a bad idea to keep DeKlerk in the academy and keep Mariner as the head coach, because clearly he doesnt have time to be a rampaging maniac and a director of football.

This would mean that the team only needs a Director of Football to hire within the next month and we might see some transfer coming in before the deadline. I'm implying we need a DOF that has scouting connections.

do fergie or mancini have directors of football?

Canary10
07-10-2012, 09:22 AM
;1509229']So do we have it wrong and have the entire set up mixed up and we should have two different people to perform the Director of Football activities and head coaching duties. Would it have made sense to hire Winter as the Director, Mariner as the head coach, and Bob DeKlerk as a academy head?

We should have one proper manager like most European football clubs. Not one person for player acquisition and another for head coach. That's what we have now, and it isn't working.

Yohan
07-10-2012, 09:37 AM
We should have one proper manager like most European football clubs. Not one person for player acquisition and another for head coach. That's what we have now, and it isn't working.
It works if both the player director and the manager share same philosophy about the team. See Tottenham before Redknapp got fired

[NBF]
07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Can i make the suggestion that maybe we should have Steve Nichols as the Director of football and Paul Mariner as the head coach? Its basically begging to get done.

Phil
07-10-2012, 11:01 AM
;1509310']Can i make the suggestion that maybe we should have Steve Nichols as the Director of football and Paul Mariner as the head coach? Its basically begging to get done.

Stop making sense! I thought it was the business plan to run the team into the ground without installing good people into proper roles. Accountability and direction are things TFC need. I am getting tired of hearing the suppressed comments from our dismissed managers. A move like this would be a very positive sign IMO.

Blowing Bubbles
07-10-2012, 06:01 PM
do fergie or mancini have directors of football?

I know this comes as a shock to some people, but football exists beyond England. Just b/c there's a couple of guys in England who have long succesful runs as dictators (well really just 2 - baconface and Wenger) doesnt mean it's standard operating procedure.

The DOF is pretty much the standard in France/Germany/Spain/Italy

A 1 man operation in MLS is even more of a stretch when you have all the salary cap and bullshit rules/regulations that also need to be considered. At the very least you need a numbers guy/capologist working with you but really you need a team.

Yohan
07-10-2012, 10:39 PM
I think its redknapp who said you need a director of football bc football is too complicated nowadays. Dealing w paperwork and agents and scouting. Makes total sense