PDA

View Full Version : PRE/IN/POST GAME TFC @ PHILY, Sunday, July 8th @ 4:00pm

Pages : [1] 2

denime
07-06-2012, 05:48 AM
TFC earned a 1-1 in Dallas, extending an unbeaten streak to five matches. Phily is coming off a upset victory over LA Galaxy on the road by a 2-1 score.

I think we will see another tie, 1-1

Fort York Redcoat
07-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Gotta win. 2-1.

ryan
07-06-2012, 06:52 AM
union looking decent since their managerial change as well. if DK isn't 100% I fear for our chances.

Stouffville_RPB
07-06-2012, 07:19 AM
2-1 Philly

bigredone
07-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Too much pessimism in morning blogging!!!

I have no worries about this one. Either us winning or D.K. being 100%. D.K. wants to prove to Mariner he can play the whole game so a late goal from him is likely (if needed). I say 3 -1 for the good guys as others want a ray of the spotlight that D.K. has earned.
The "we beat L.A." arrogance that caused us to lose the CCL (Ya, thats my excuse) is probably infecting the union.

__wowza
07-06-2012, 07:48 AM
2-1 for the reds.

you can take your doop and shove it up your ass!
oh you can take your doop,
yes you can take your doop,

ManUtd4ever
07-06-2012, 08:21 AM
If I have a criticism of Mariner thus far, it's been his rigid approach to the starting lineup lately despite the recent fixture congestion. I would like to see some squad rotation so the boys don't burn out or succumb to injury. With reinforcements like JDG, Henry, Soolsma, Silva, and Lambe on the bench, Mariner should be able to rest a few starters without compromising our level of competitiveness.

Auzzy
07-06-2012, 08:42 AM
It's going to be about 31C, feeling like 44C with the humidex, at game time in Chester PA, with a 60% chance of thunderstorms. I hope the boys can keep up their semi-decent form, and that Mariner does some sensible squad rotation.

bigredone
07-06-2012, 09:03 AM
The temperature and probability of thunder rises when Danny Koevs arrives.

Carts
07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
If I have a criticism of Mariner thus far, it's been his rigid approach to the starting lineup lately despite the recent fixture congestion. I would like to see some squad rotation so the boys don't burn out or succumb to injury. With reinforcements like JDG, Henry, Soolsma, Silva, and Lambe on the bench, Mariner should be able to rest a few starters without compromising our level of competitiveness.

A must agree...

Its been great watching the team compete and earn some points - and I believe in the 'earn the shirt' thoughts where if you're winning & its working keep it going...

BUT... The heat the lads are playing in, mixed in with travel, just must be sucking the water right out of them...

I know they're pro-athletes and have a physio & nutrition staff on hand to help, but our starting 11 must be expelling massive amounts of water, nutrients, and putting strain on their muscles....

Squad rotation, however unfortunate at times, is needed during these busy periods...

Red CB Toronto
07-06-2012, 09:11 AM
I think a victory is in the cards for the Reds, with this five game unbeaten streak they really have a chance to improve and get out of the basement, which would happen with a victory over the Union. So is anyone making the trek down to Philly for the game? I have a cheap mega bus ticket in hand but on the fence of actually going due to no other TFC supporters in general and the warning I have been given about the Chester area in general, which to me looks pretty scary.

Gazza
07-06-2012, 09:37 AM
If the humidity becomes an issue, Danny Koevermans will just raise his hands and the humidex will f#ck right off. He won't say thank you. He'll just point and wink.

Canary10
07-06-2012, 09:50 AM
The Philadephia team we beat at home earlier in the year was honestly one of the worst teams I've ever watched live. They'd have to have REALLY improved to have a chance in this game. I can see another Montreal-esque win tomorrow. Then the Union goes and signs Fabio Cannavaro....

ManUtd4ever
07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
^^ It won't be that easy. Philly has improved quite a bit since their coaching change. Imagine that? g:D

Canary10
07-06-2012, 10:10 AM
^^ It won't be that easy. Philly has improved quite a bit since their coaching change. Imagine that? g:D

As I said, they'd have to have REALLY improved. I'm going to be the optimist and stick to 3-0.

mastermixer
07-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Just my opinion but it seems he may be trying to pad his coaching stats right off the bat after Winter's firing by playing his best 11 more then they should, considering the crowded schedule.

denime
07-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Just my opinion but it seems he may be trying to pad his coaching stats right off the bat after Winter's firing by playing his best 11 more then they should, considering the crowded schedule.

Sorry the crowded schedule is not excuse.

TFC played 7 games in May,7 games over 24 days,after busy April.

TFC will play 7 games in June/July in span of 22 days coming of 19 days off.

BHTC Mike
07-06-2012, 10:29 AM
The Philadephia team we beat at home earlier in the year was honestly one of the worst teams I've ever watched live. They'd have to have REALLY improved to have a chance in this game. I can see another Montreal-esque win tomorrow. Then the Union goes and signs Fabio Cannavaro....
For once, I will confidently predict that TFC will, with 100% certainty, not win tomorrow...

Because the game's on Sunday.

BHTC Mike
07-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Yes, because four home games and three away games over 24 days is EXACTLY like two home games and five away games in 22 days.

Quit the sophistry. You can be happy about what Winter achieved in winning another Canadian Championship in May but he still lost the job because of the team's league form over the past season and a third. Even in May he lost more league games out of three, two at home, than Paul Mariner has in six (four, soon to be five, of those away).

It's over. Winter is gone and Mariner is in charge. The team's league form has improved. There's no guarantee it will continue and it's just as likely the team will go on another losing skid as it is that the improvement is sustained and Mariner will be under pressure before the end of the summer. Why not wait and see what actually happens rather than try and argue that a five game unbeaten run isn't improvement? Why are you insisting on making yourself unhappy when TFC is doing better? We're still Canadian Champions and we still get to play in the Champions League; neither of those disappear because Winter was removed. Now we actually have some league results and competitive play in away games mixed in. It's time to move on and see where this next phase of the TFC adventure takes us.

Canary10
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
For once, I will confidently predict that TFC will, with 100% certainty, not win tomorrow...

Ha! Shit, really? Been a while since we've had a Sunday game.

tfcocd
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
As I said, they'd have to have REALLY improved. I'm going to be the optimist and stick to 3-0.

Another three would be nice. There needs to be more balanced scoring in this lineup - Soolsma getting off the snide would help! Philly also has a big cup game three days later so they will have squad rotation issues of there own. Like TFC there only chance to play meaningful games would be a cup win.

ryan
07-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Did not notice this either LOL. Awesome cause I would have had to miss it if it was Sat!

Canary10
07-06-2012, 10:53 AM

TFC played more games than any other team in MLS in the first three months of the season. In March we had a game every 4 days. In April a game every 5 days. Most other teams were playing once every 7 days. While other teams could ease into the season, set their starting 11, etc, TFC was already having to juggle the roster and rotate players. And some of those games were essentially playoff games. A lot of our early MLS losses came right after big CCL games. There's some context to how we got onto the losing streak in the first place that people tend to forget now.

BHTC Mike
07-06-2012, 11:05 AM
There's some context to how we got onto the losing streak in the first place that people tend to forget now.
And that's totally fair. There was some bad luck and injuries that were mixed in too. But none of it excuses an 0-0-9 start after a year spent rebuilding. For that sort of record to even be possible you've got to be worse than bad and TFC was only ever in position to even have a chance at winning one of those games (RSL away) in the final 15 minutes.

BHTC Mike
07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Did not notice this either LOL. Awesome cause I would have had to miss it if it was Sat!
This response implies that you're excited to watch "boring 4-4-2 hoofball" in sultry conditions against a bad opponent with the team primed for a let down. What gives? :wink5:

Canary10
07-06-2012, 11:09 AM
And that's totally fair. There was some bad luck and injuries that were mixed in too. But none of it excuses an 0-0-9 start after a year spent rebuilding. For that sort of record to even be possible you've got to be worse than bad and TFC was only ever in position to even have a chance at winning one of those games (RSL away) in the final 15 minutes.

I would say we were in the mix against Columbus (should have won that game, Columbus were piss poor), Chicago, and Chivas for sure.

BHTC Mike
07-06-2012, 11:32 AM
I would say we were in the mix against Columbus (should have won that game, Columbus were piss poor), Chicago, and Chivas for sure.
Yet, we only scored in one of those games and lead for about 30 seconds cumulatively...

You can't win if you don't score and don't lead. TFC were competitive in those three games in the sense that they weren't utterly destroyed, won the possession battle, and generated a few good chances in each game.* But they never put themselves in a position to win. That's a big, big problem! Even if they had knicked a goal late in any of those games it would have turned 0 points into 1 AT HOME! People were/are complaining about the New England result because it turned 3 points into 1 but TFC actually gave themselves a chance to earn 3 points. That's a dramatic difference.

*Much of which actually came from very direct longball play late in the game as TFC chased a result and abandoned build out of the back possession.

Pookie
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM

And let's not forget that Winter managed his roster to a 8-3-5 record in MLS and CCL through July till end of season last year with 8 mid-week games and travel across multiple timezones through the Western USA, Mexico/Latin America.

No excuses, just results.

Pookie
07-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Speaking of which, hoping for a win. Expecting a 2-1 defeat.

Canary10
07-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Yet, we only scored in one of those games and lead for about 30 seconds cumulatively...

You can't win if you don't score and don't lead. TFC were competitive in those three games in the sense that they weren't utterly destroyed, won the possession battle, and generated a few good chances in each game.* But they never put themselves in a position to win. That's a big, big problem! Even if they had knicked a goal late in any of those games it would have turned 0 points into 1 AT HOME! People were/are complaining about the New England result because it turned 3 points into 1 but TFC actually gave themselves a chance to earn 3 points. That's a dramatic difference.

*Much of which actually came from very direct longball play late in the game as TFC chased a result and abandoned build out of the back possession.

Yeah, agreed that you can't win if you don't score. But we dominated at least the Chivas and Columbus games, not competitive in the "sense that we weren't utterly destroyed." We created more chances in those games than we are now incidentally. Biggest difference is Koefs is putting them away now where he couldn't buy a goal early on.

Ultra & Proud
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
We created more chances in those games than we are now incidentally.

Disagree with this. Most of the chances we created then were hopeless chances. Back then we insisted on doing the tic tac 'beautiful' possession passing game as we approached the final 3rd, every time, thus allowing the opposing players time to track back,pack the box, and plug the middle then force us to work the ball wide for a cross which was always covered by defensive players (which always far outnumbered who we actually got in the box). Add to that almost zero movement from players off the ball and you end up with us getting our crosses easily defended and knocked out leaving us caught on the counter or we'd get a glancing look at a header through heavy marking and miss more times than not. Of course we HAD to do the same thing every time, as per the system, so that made it easy to defend us.

The more I look back the more I think all the 'positives' in our fairly dreary year and a half were just a bunch of smoke and mirrors combined with some good fortune here and there.

Canary10
07-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Disagree with this. Most of the chances we created then were hopeless chances. Back then we insisted on doing the tic tac 'beautiful' possession passing game as we approached the final 3rd, every time, thus allowing the opposing players time to track back,pack the box, and plug the middle then force us to work the ball wide for a cross which was always covered by defensive players (which always far outnumbered who we actually got in the box). Add to that almost zero movement from players off the ball and you end up with us getting our crosses easily defended and knocked out leaving us caught on the counter or we'd get a glancing look at a header through heavy marking and miss more times than not. Of course we HAD to do the same thing every time, as per the system, so that made it easy to defend us.

The more I look back the more I think all the 'positives' in our fairly dreary year and a half were just a bunch of smoke and mirrors combined with some good fortune here and there.

The stats say otherwise.

Derko
07-06-2012, 01:15 PM

And what happened to stricking the ball at the net just outside of the box, haven't seen a goal like that from TFC in a while, the occasional Free-Kick (which you can count on one hand), but nothing from open attacking play, there have been many chances to take a strike at the ball on net or into the area, but seems TFC players are actually afraid or forbidden to take a strike at net, that to me that is a disfunction of a specific style or system of play, some systems do not allow the player to take an opportunity when it is right in front of them. Just a thought for discussion.

DoubleUp
07-06-2012, 01:22 PM
And what happened to stricking the ball at the net just outside of the box, haven't seen a goal like that from TFC in a while, the occasional Free-Kick (which you can count on one hand), but nothing from open attacking play, there have been many chances to take a strike at the ball on net or into the area, but seems TFC players are actually afraid or forbidden to take a strike at net, that to me that is a disfunction of a specific style or system of play, some systems do not allow the player to take an opportunity when it is right in front of them. Just a thought for discussion.

I agree we are probably the only team in the league tht doesnt strike the ball directly at the net and on target when doing so. Every opportunity we've converted comes from the wide area. besides Danny and occasionaly frings I dont think there is anyone in the starting11 that can strike from distance. we also lack a seasoned dynamic attacking mid who can take players on and open up space in the attacking 3rd with dribbling and vision(if you think danny is scoring now, he would be invincible with a grazzini-type)

ryan
07-06-2012, 01:43 PM
This response implies that you're excited to watch "boring 4-4-2 hoofball" in sultry conditions against a bad opponent with the team primed for a let down. What gives? :wink5:

I support the boys by watching via free stream but give MLSE NOTHING! MUwahahahahaha. TAKE THAT ANSELMI.

Ajax TFC
07-06-2012, 01:57 PM
The problem isn't that the players aren't being allowed to shoot from outside the area, the problem is that there are very few players who are able to. Most of the players who are capable of shooting from distance play close to the goal. Johnson and Koevermans have good long shots, but they never get the chance to use them up front. Lambe's got a good shot as well but he always insists on hugging the touch line where he cant use it. de Guzman and Frings have both shown willingness to shoot from distance but both of them have lost quite a bit of accuracy with age.

Ultra & Proud
07-06-2012, 02:20 PM
The stats say otherwise.

Links to stats please.

Canary10
07-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Links to stats please.

Pookie did a good piece on this:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012/06/25/toronto_fc_tfc_2012_mls_season_tom_anselmi_paul_ma riner/

CoachGT
07-06-2012, 03:05 PM
These are games that, if we truly are competitive, we must win. Teams immediately above us in the table, and teams that are struggling (like Dallas).

I'm thinking that the current trend will continue. Another draw. 1-1.

ManUtd4ever
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Bang on.

Pookie
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
The other interesting stat is that Mariner needs 3 wins in the next 4 games just to equal Preki's first 10 games with the club (5-4-1)

BHTC Mike
07-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, agreed that you can't win if you don't score. But we dominated at least the Chivas and Columbus games, not competitive in the "sense that we weren't utterly destroyed."
Sorry, but on that we'll just have to agree to disagree. I would never characterize our performances in the Chivas and Columbus games as dominating. To me, those games looked like not so good (but not horrible) road teams managing a game, being happy to play on the counter, and asking us to come and break them down; especially after they took the lead. We couldn't and, until we resorted to a lot of direct longball, didn't create many legit scoring opportunities ourselves.

Again, maybe if we converted a few more of those chances AND snuck a winner in Salt Lake before their 3rd goal our record would have been 1W-2D-6L for six points. Improvement? I'm being as generous as I can and that's still what Mariner's managed to achieve in 6 games; four on the road. To some extext Mariner's record is a fluke and likely doesn't simply reflect his coaching: TFC had slightly turned a corner already in May, Koevermans is finishing a greater percentage of his chances, and 6 games is a statisical blip full of randomness. But the point I keep making, that TFC is putting themselves in a position to win league games, is really night and day stuff.

Enjoy it! Enjoy the fact that we're going into a road game wondering whether they can pull off a win that would have seemed unlikely two months ago rather than asking how many goals they'll lose by!

Listen, I want to see TFC play beautiful football too. But I think you need to walk before you run and that being competitive in the league while you work your way towards that is essential. Further, this is a tough league to stay on top in. The times where we assemble enough good players, all with the necessary technical SUPERIORITY (not just ability), to play pretty football and win? Those will be rare and special runs and should be celebrated. The times where we can't? Just do what you have to to stay competitive. This is a hard league to win consistently in but, logically, it should also be a hard one to lose consistently in! 6 wins out of 44? That's horrorshow stuff and if Mariner gets us to middle of the pack respectability - like Winter was getting close to in the second half of 2011 - he'll deserve his kick at the can next year.

And let's not forget that Winter managed his roster to a 8-3-5 record in MLS and CCL through July till end of season last year with 8 mid-week games and travel across multiple timezones through the Western USA, Mexico/Latin America.
What Winter doesn't get enought credit for were the two wins over Tauro. They weren't pretty victories in either case but the Panamians were a better team than they were given credit for and, IIRC, we were the only team to take 6 points off them. That, as much as the Pumas draw and win in Dallas, is what allowed us the chance to get through the group.

Of course, Winter might not get the credit for that he deserves but Preki gets next to no credit for ANY of his cup accomplishments. He had an equally good record in the Canadian Championship - our first coach to really cruise that - along with BEATING a Mexican team and eliminating a good Central American team over two legs in famously hostile conditions away. Yes, the loss to Aribe Unido (under some of the most dubious refereeing we've ever endured) sours his accomplishments but, when he was fired, we were in as good a position to advance as Winter was in our 2011 group after two games. We likely wouldn't have because late-2010 RSL were a far better team than late-2011 FCD but it's not like cup success saved him. Hell, compared to Winter he was actually managing to do all that while TFC stayed in touching distance of the playoffs that year too!

The problem is that too much of the message board analysis of TFC is based on ideology rather than evidence. Preki's team played "boring MLS hoofball" - even though I'll still assert that the win over Cruz Azul was the best I've ever seen us play - so results didn't matter. Winter's team played "attractive possession football" and thus could be excused for being out of the playoff hunt by early summer (or earlier) in two consecutive seasons. Both of them had success in cups. Both of them brought through a couple of different Canadian youngsters developed by the club. But one got fired before his first season was over (for a whole lot of reasons) while the other got a massive DP budget and an extra offseason to make the team worse.

The treatment of the two of them was completely incongruent and now some people are setting Mariner up for Preki-style revolt even though most of the media close to the team, including posters on this forum, are going to bat for him. Some of if it, it must be said, laced with out-of-date cultural stereotypes about British football that make no reference to Paul Mariner's actual playing experience in the UK or time as an assistant in MLS. It's offensive, stupid, and truly mindboggling that some people seem determined to cheerlead the same mistakes TFC has made in the past. You've said it yourself in a different context: this club consistently undervalues MLS experience, overvalues foreign pedigree, and underestimates the difficulties of being successful in an American league.

And some people can't even enjoy a five game league unbeaten streak, for the first time since 2010, in the process!

No excuses, just results.
And the results are there! Not great results, but a hell of a lot better than we were used to!

Here's our league form guide under Winter all time:

L-W-T-T-T-L-T-L-W-L-T-T-L-T-T-T-L-L-W-L-L-L-L-T-T-W-L-T-W-W-L-T-T-T-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-W

(Bolded parts are unbeaten streaks of three games or longer.)

Here's our league form under Mariner so far:

L-D-D-W-D-D

In Mariner's first six games he's done something Aron Winter NEVER DID in 44 games! Fluke? Yes, but Winter had 44 games to fluke the same results!

And before you get there: yes, Winter did start with a nearly identical record. (More of those games were at home but that's being pedantic.) Yes, he did finish the year more respectably. But the vast, vast majority were not calling for his head at any point until we start poorly again this year! I was skeptical last year but willing to give him a chance. That was after 3-0 and 6-2 HOME losses. Even after the 0-0-5 league start I started a thread on U-Sector suggesting he should be evaluated over the next five league games. He went 1-0-4 with the only win coming on a last minute goal after two more home losses! One of them amongst the most miserable home performances TFC has suffered in years.

Look, wanting Tom Anselmi held accountable for the systemic dysfunctions in TFC is reasonable. Pitching Mariner in with that and throwing the baby out with the bath water isn't! Mariner might - MIGHT! - be an appropriate guy to contribute to finally getting this club going the right direction. We probably won't have much of an idea until after the summer when he's had more of chance to influence the roster and start building the team he wants. That's the chance Aron Winter was afforded THREE TIMES(!) before the axe fell and giving Mariner enough rope to get one transfer window is hardly asking for the moon. If he ever loses 9 games in a row or only wins 6 out of 44 league games watch how my opinion on him changes! Until then:

Forza Mariner!

Forza 4-4-2! (Or whatever formation keeps us competitive and gets results!)

Forza TFC!

newMARINERorder4life!

ManUtd4ever
07-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Sorry, but on that we'll just have to agree to disagree. I would never characterize our performances in the Chivas and Columbus games as dominating. To me, those games looked like not so good (but not horrible) road teams managing a game, being happy to play on the counter, and asking us to come and break them down; especially after they took the lead. We couldn't and, until we resorted to a lot of direct longball, didn't create many legit scoring opportunities ourselves.

Again, maybe if we converted a few more of those chances AND snuck a winner in Salt Lake before their 3rd goal our record would have been 1W-2D-6L for six points. Improvement? I'm being as generous as I can and that's still what Mariner's managed to achieve in 6 games; four on the road. To some extext Mariner's record is a fluke and likely doesn't simply reflect his coaching: TFC had slightly turned a corner already in May, Koevermans is finishing a greater percentage of his chances, and 6 games is a statisical blip full of randomness. But the point I keep making, that TFC is putting themselves in a position to win league games, is really night and day stuff.

Enjoy it! Enjoy the fact that we're going into a road game wondering whether they can pull off a win that would have seemed unlikely two months ago rather than asking how many goals they'll lose by!

Listen, I want to see TFC play beautiful football too. But I think you need to walk before you run and that being competitive in the league while you work your way towards that is essential. Further, this is a tough league to stay on top in. The times where we assemble enough good players, all with the necessary technical SUPERIORITY (not just ability), to play pretty football and win? Those will be rare and special runs and should be celebrated. The times where we can't? Just do what you have to to stay competitive. This is a hard league to win consistently in but, logically, it should also be a hard one to lose consistently in! 6 wins out of 44? That's horrorshow stuff and if Mariner gets us to middle of the pack respectability - like Winter was getting close to in the second half of 2011 - he'll deserve his kick at the can next year.

What Winter doesn't get enought credit for were the two wins over Tauro. They weren't pretty victories in either case but the Panamians were a better team than they were given credit for and, IIRC, we were the only team to take 6 points off them. That, as much as the Pumas draw and win in Dallas, is what allowed us the chance to get through the group.

Of course, Winter might not get the credit for that he deserves but Preki gets next to no credit for ANY of his cup accomplishments. He had an equally good record in the Canadian Championship - our first coach to really cruise that - along with BEATING a Mexican team and eliminating a good Central American team over two legs in famously hostile conditions away. Yes, the loss to Aribe Unido (under some of the most dubious refereeing we've ever endured) sours his accomplishments but, when he was fired, we were in as good a position to advance as Winter was in our 2011 group after two games. We likely wouldn't have because late-2010 RSL were a far better team than late-2001 FCD but it's not like cup success saved him. Hell, compared to Winter he was actually managing to do all that while TFC stayed in touching distance of the playoffs that year too!

The problem is that too much of the message board analysis of TFC is based on ideology rather than evidence. Preki's team played "boring MLS hoofball" - even though I'll still assert that the win over Cruz Azul was the best I've ever seen us play - so results didn't matter. Winter's team played "attractive possession football" and thus could be excused for being out of the playoff hunt by early summer (or earlier) in two consecutive seasons. Both of them had success in cups. Both of them brought through a couple of different Canadian youngsters developed by the club. But one got fired before his first season was over (for a whole lot of reasons) while the other got a massive DP budget and an extra offseason to make the team worse.

The treatment of the two of them was completely incongruent and now some people are setting Mariner up for Preki-style revolt even though most of the media close to the team, including posters on this forum, are going to bat for him. Some of if it, it must be said, laced with out-of-date cultural stereotypes about British football that make no reference to Paul Mariner's actual playing experience in the UK or time as an assistant in MLS. It's offensive, stupid, and truly mindboggling that some people seem determined to cheerlead the same mistakes TFC has made in the past. You've said it yourself in a different context: this club consistently undervalues MLS experience, overvalues foreign pedigree, and underestimates the difficulties of being successful in an American league.

And some people can't even enjoy a five game league unbeaten streak, for the first time since 2010, in the process!

And the results are there! Not great results, but a hell of a lot better than we were used to!

Here's our league form guide under Winter all time:

L-W-T-T-T-L-T-L-W-L-T-T-L-T-T-T-L-L-W-L-L-L-L-T-T-W-L-T-W-W-L-T-T-T-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-W

(Bolded parts are unbeaten streaks of three games or longer.)

Here's our league form under Mariner so far:

L-D-D-W-D-D

In Mariner's first six games he's done something Aron Winter NEVER DID in 44 games! Fluke? Yes, but Winter had 44 games to fluke the same results!

And before you get there: yes, Winter did start with a nearly identical record. (More of those games were at home but that's being pedantic.) Yes, he did finish the year more respectably. But the vast, vast majority were not calling for his head at any point until we start poorly again this year! That was after 3-0 and 6-2 HOME losses. I was skeptical last year but willing to give him a chance. Even after the 0-0-5 league start I started a thread suggesting he should be evaluated over the next five league games. He went 1-0-4 with the only win coming on a last minute goal after two more home losses! One of them amongst the most miserable home performances TFC has suffered in years.

Look, wanting Tom Anselmi held accountable for the systemic dysfunctions in TFC is reasonable. Pitching Mariner in with that and throwing the baby out with the bath water isn't! Mariner might - MIGHT! - be an appropriate guy to contribute to finally getting this club going the right direction. We probably won't have much of an idea until after the summer when he's had more of chance to influence the roster and start building the team he wants. That's the chance Aron Winter was afforded THREE TIMES(!) before the axe fell and giving Mariner enough rope to get one transfer window is hardly asking for the moon. If he ever loses 9 games in a row or only wins 6 out of 44 league games watch how my opinion on him changes! Until then:

Forza Mariner!

Forza 4-4-2! (Or whatever formation keeps us competitive and gets results!)

Forza TFC!

newMARINERorder4life!

Great post! It says it all.

Pookie
07-06-2012, 04:36 PM
^ Really? Ok. Forza Preki

W
T
W
W
T
T
T
W

That's the benchmark

denime
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
BOYS this is PHILY PRE/IN GAME THREAD.

:topic:

ManUtd4ever
07-06-2012, 04:46 PM

W

T

W

W

T

T

T

W

That's the benchmark

Ah, but you forgot the rest of Preki's season leading up to his dismissal.

Forget benchmarks over a period of several games. In a couple of months, the new ownership group and the supporters will have a clear indication as to whether or not Mariner is capable of leading this team moving forward.

BHTC Mike
07-06-2012, 04:56 PM

W

T

W

W

T

T

T

W

That's the benchmark
I wasn't a fan but I was never comfortable with how he was let go. Especially after it was implied that he was pitched as part of player/staff revolt where management sided with the insurgents. His removal had as more to do with anti-Mo sentiment than it did with his results and we'll never know what he would have done with the team if he had senior management's full support and time to build on what he'd already accomplished.

I get the same feeling around Mariner already. To some, sans much evidence, he's a villain responsible for (at least) abandoning the 4-3-3 attacking football ideology or subverting it from the inside and a lapdog to Anselmi. Anger over that, anger over MLSE generally, anger over ticket prices... all of it's being dumped on him even if the results are improving.

That's all I'm saying: step back from the ledge. We're not losing as much as were and are picking up road points. The next step is winning our home games. It might all be an illusion and we could be right back in the crapper in a month. But WE DON'T KNOW. No one can predict the future no matter how much they might believe they can. All we can look at is the evidence going backwards. Until Mariner has enough of track record to be judged by there's no basis to make any evaluation.

The forza stuff is just to combat some of the deep seated cynicism. I want TFC to win. I want them to win in every game against every opponent they face. I wanted them to win under Winter and I want them to win under Mariner.

Funnily, I don't expect them to win on Sunday. It just seems like a bridge to far, Philly has gotten better, and we're bound for a let down. Won't stop me from bringing the nMo banner back to BMO Wednesday night though. He's already done enough to earn support for another month.

Pookie
07-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Ah, but you forgot the rest of Preki's season leading up to his dismissal.

Forget benchmarks over a period of several games. In a couple of months, the new ownership group and the supporters will have a clear indication as to whether or not Mariner is capable of leading this team moving forward.

Fun aside, I agree that the long term should be the focus. That said, 0 confidence in current ownership to actually be able to set and evaluate progress against a long term vision/goal.

For that reason, (well and the fact that I am paying more than double what other MLS fans pay), I won't be renewing season tickets.

OgtheDim
07-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Well there is one good thing about the complete inability to have a TFC discussion without a bang up fight over Winter/Mariner.

I don't think I've seen the word DeRo for a week.

Then again there may be other reasons for that.

Ajax TFC
07-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Well there is one good thing about the complete inability to have a TFC discussion without a bang up fight over Winter/Mariner.

I don't think I've seen the word DeRo for a week.

Then again there may be other reasons for that.
I actually wrote that word in one of my posts today:smile:

narduch
07-06-2012, 08:33 PM
In my opinion the main reasons Preki was fired is that he was tied to Mo Johnston, and the league results took an abrupt turn for the worse.

Also, TFC had played some really boring football during some of the matches under Winter.

I'm not ready to give Mariner his coronation though. 7 points in 6 games is mediocre by MLS standards and wouldn't even get you into the playoffs. I'd like to see the results continue to improve (some wins would be nice), but I'd also like to see TFC acquire some better players under Mariner's watch before I accept him in his role.

---------

Now to stay slightly on topic, Pro Line is paying 3.60 for a TFC win. So tempted to take a shot on that.

OgtheDim
07-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Is Koevs injured?

ManUtd4ever
07-07-2012, 08:41 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-waits-on-koevermans-knee-ahead-of-weekend-game-in-philadelphia/article4396267/

Koevermans and Dunfield are doubtful for tomorrow. I would replace them with Silva and JDG in the starting lineup.

Greatest Ripoff
07-07-2012, 09:26 AM
What about playing Lambe up front with Johnson? He was able to get a few goals earlier in the season. Or even trying Makubuya, who has been scoring goals with he reserves? I know both players are more wide forwards but I'd prefer that over having a midfielder up front. Unless he decides to play a system with only one striker.

bigredone
07-07-2012, 09:31 AM
AJAX TFC!!!! Are you still happy with Koevs tackle now that he is possibly injured?....................................sorry, had to.

Beach_Red
07-07-2012, 09:42 AM
The long term should be balanced with the short term. Of course, it's very tricky to get the right balance.

v00d00daddy
07-07-2012, 10:23 AM
AJAX TFC!!!! Are you still happy with Koevs tackle now that he is possibly injured?....................................sorry, had to.

Assuming this is today, it looks like Koevermans is fine.

http://instagram.com/p/MyLtHTkpyV/

bigredone
07-07-2012, 11:47 AM
^Thanks, I feel much better now!

DoubleUp
07-07-2012, 11:56 AM
What about playing Lambe up front with Johnson? He was able to get a few goals earlier in the season. Or even trying Makubuya, who has been scoring goals with he reserves? I know both players are more wide forwards but I'd prefer that over having a midfielder up front. Unless he decides to play a system with only one striker.

I think this is a good idea, if/when danny is injured or subbed. Imo lambe would be more effective up top tracking back than in the midfield role where mariner has been using him. Lambe's speed/eye for goal is being wasted.

Ajax TFC
07-07-2012, 01:06 PM
hey, I just said that it was a good tackle. Frings' tackle vs Seattle was nice too even though he got injured because of it.

I don't think he was listed on the injury list, but that thing is usually a few weeks behind

bigredone
07-07-2012, 01:14 PM
You're right and leagues beyond me in football knowledge. I'm just a pest sometimes. I feel like Koevs mom, anything that can get him injured I do not like!

Auzzy
07-07-2012, 01:46 PM
TFC tweets (and Mariner interview) from today suggest that Danny & Dunfield will be OK.

Greatest Ripoff
07-07-2012, 03:05 PM
TFC tweets (and Mariner interview) from today suggest that Danny & Dunfield will be OK.

Good news. This team is pretty thin up top. I hope Danny can stay fit for the rest of the season.

TorCanSoc
07-07-2012, 03:06 PM
How many "Where's the stream" posts are going to happen? I'll make it 1, to start. www.firstrowsports.eu doesn't seem to have any american streams.

narduch
07-07-2012, 03:18 PM
How many "Where's the stream" posts are going to happen? I'll make it 1, to start. www.firstrowsports.eu (http://www.firstrowsports.eu) doesn't seem to have any american streams.

Game is tomorrow.

OgtheDim
07-07-2012, 09:30 PM
If you want to make somebody's day, the Guardian will be live blogging this match. I think they usually get 2 comments all game.

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Mariner from yesterdays training interview says that todays game is going to be difficult due to the heat in Philly and that "possession will be 9/10 of the law"

LOL

We'll see if that changes the tactic they've been playing for 6 games.

Somehow I doubt it.

ManUtd4ever
07-08-2012, 09:35 AM
TFC held possession very well in the second half against Dallas when they were pressing for the go ahead goal. I see no reason why they can't do it again.

But yeah, Mariner's just a clueless moron who's incapable of preaching anything other than hoof ball.

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 09:48 AM
TFC held possession very well in the second half against Dallas when they were pressing for the go ahead goal. I see no reason why they can't do it again.

But yeah, Mariner's just a clueless moron who's incapable of preaching anything other than hoof ball.

I don't think he's a moron. I just think he prefers a shitty style of football. And despite parts of a half here and there, his first choice has been to have his players play 40 yard balls before anything else.

So you can grasp on to the 40 minutes or so over the last 6 games as an indication of his affinity for possession based football but I just don't see it.

When you have central defenders coming back to the keeper to give him an option to distribute the ball and then watch the keeper roll it to his CB just outside the 18 who promptly puts his head down and hits it 50 yards upheld, it's clear that possession is not a priority.

We'll see today.

I'm curious to see what the starting 11 will look like.

A Stick
07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Definition of a Moron: Someone who starts Dunfield everygame and only subs him when he is injured. The second part of the equation is someone who thought Andy Iro was a football player. End of Story!

ManUtd4ever
07-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't think he's a moron. I just think he prefers a shitty style of football. And despite parts of a half here and there, his first choice has been to have his players play 40 yard balls before anything else.

So you can grasp on to the 40 minutes or so over the last 6 games as an indication of his affinity for possession based football but I just don't see it.

When you have central defenders coming back to the keeper to give him an option to distribute the ball and then watch the keeper roll it to his CB just outside the 18 who promptly puts his head down and hits it 50 yards upheld, it's clear that possession is not a priority.

We'll see today.

I'm curious to see what the starting 11 will look like.

And you and others can grasp on to the illusion that Winter had TFC playing the beautiful game the way it was meant to be played.

Winter relied on the long ball as part of his tactical approach as well in case you didn't notice. I saw the ball played out long from the backline, midfield, and the wings quite often during Winter's tenure. In fact, it became the predictable focal point of our offense, which is why other teams found it so easy to defend against it and counter.

Every system requires flexibility within it's deployment in order to be successful against teams that utilize different tactics and formations. Winter failed miserably in that regard. The jury is still out on Mariner, but so far so good.

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 10:53 AM
And you and others can grasp on to the illusion that Winter had TFC playing the beautiful game the way it was meant to be played.

Winter relied on the long ball as part of his tactical approach as well in case you didn't notice. I saw the ball played out long from the backline, midfield, and the wings quite often during Winter's tenure. In fact, it became the predictable focal point of our offense, which is why other teams found it so easy to defend against it and counter.

Every system requires flexibility within it's deployment in order to be successful against teams that utilize different tactics and formations. Winter failed miserably in that regard. The jury is still out on Mariner, but so far so good.

First of all...what does Winter have to do with this? He was fired, and deserved to be. He didn't get them playing the style that they'd said they would.

Now...as for the bolded part...it's funny.

I think you're talking out of your ass when you say that you saw Winter "rely" on long ball service and even more bullshit saying that it became the focal point of TFC's offence. LOL

But...giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying that Winter did employ hoof ball tactics (which he rarely did, if ever)....how can you criticize it when you say Winter did it and then support Mariner when it's plain as day that he does it more than any coach we've ever had? LOL

Long ball is bad when Winter did it but okay when Mariner does it? Great example of complete bias on your part ruling your judgement.

Walking contradiction.

DoubleUp
07-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Winter used it because our players werent technical enough to play his brand of football(not being his champion just stating), it might the same for paul to some extent but Imo route-one football is his preferered style of play.

Gazza
07-08-2012, 11:08 AM
We don't have the players to play anything BUT route one football. Being MLS, i'm ok with that.

The only difference i've noticed from the two coaches is the lack of punishable giveaways.

We never out-possess the other team. We're still shit on defending set pieces and Danny is still a scoring machine.

ManUtd4ever
07-08-2012, 11:24 AM
First of all...what does Winter have to do with this? He was fired, and deserved to be. He didn't get them playing the style that they'd said they would.

Now...as for the bolded part...it's funny.

I think you're talking out of your ass when you say that you saw Winter "rely" on long ball service and even more bullshit saying that it became the focal point of TFC's offence. LOL

But...giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying that Winter did employ hoof ball tactics (which he rarely did, if ever)....how can you criticize it when you say Winter did it and then support Mariner when it's plain as day that he does it more than any coach we've ever had? LOL

Long ball is bad when Winter did it but okay when Mariner does it? Great example of complete bias on your part ruling your judgement.

Walking contradiction.

You have been bitching and whining since Mariner was hired despite his positive results, citing that Mariner has resorted to route one football, yet you never complained about Winter's style of play in the past, despite his brutal track record. All of the sudden, now you're suggesting that Winter never had them playing the style he said he would? That's a first.

Who's the walking contradiction, and who's talking out of his ass?

As for Winter's tactical approach utilizing the long ball at times, specifically in the offensive third of the pitch, it was obvious that the team relied almost exclusively on lobbing balls in from the wings to create chances.

I never criticized long ball or 4-3-3, I'm just pointing out that Mariner's conventional approach is more suitable to our roster as it's currently constructed.

But you can resort to ad hominem attacks in the absence of a valid rebuttal if it makes you feel better.

Enjoy the game.

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 11:34 AM
You have been bitching and whining since Mariner was hired despite his positive results, citing the reason that Mariner has resorted to route one football, yet you never complained about Winter's style of play in the past, despite his brutal track record. All of the sudden, now you're suggesting that Winter never had them playing the style he said he would? That's a first.

Who's the walking contradiction, and who's talking out of his ass?

As for Winter's tactical approach utilizing the long ball at times, specifically in the offensive third of the pitch, it was obvious that the team relied almost exclusively on lobbing balls in from the wings to create chances.

I never criticized long ball or 4-3-3, I'm just pointing out that Mariner's conventional approach is more suitable to our roster as it's currently constructed.

But you can resort to ad hominem attacks in the absence of a valid rebuttal if it makes you feel better.

Enjoy the game.

And I won't complain about Winters or any other possession based style of play. The style is what I liked. Not Winters execution of it. Winter was the eventual problem...not his preferred style of play.

And please show me where I said that Winter never had them playing a possession based game.

You're the one trying to sell me on the idea that he played hoof ball like Mariner. I said he didn't.

And I agree...Winter had his team playing too many balls into the box but that's a far cry from playing the ball from the keeper or back line all the way up to the strikers like Mariner is doing.

As for Mariners approach...it's fine. If that's the way the club is going to go that's up to them. But it will cost them a fan in me and I'm sure many others.

If I wanna watch soccer where the primary method of defending and attacking is totally ignoring the midfield I can go watch it at my local park where there are 14 year old kids still being taught this archaic style of play.

I'd hoped for more from TFC but as long as they pander to people who are willing to trade long term success for short term moderate improvement (that looks horrid) they will languish between the bottom of the league and mid table mediocrity at best.

I will enjoy the game. If they start to use their midfielders for more than 5 and 6th defensive players tasked to kick the ball away to 50/50 balls.

If Koevermans stops scoring this team will stop drawing.

The guy is scoring every game and the best we can muster is a tie.

Question...what more can Mariner do get a win out of this team if Koeverman doesn't score every game?

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2012, 11:46 AM

Question...what more can Mariner do get a win out of this team if Koeverman doesn't score every game?

At least with us scoring a goal a match or so we can get a point now instead of the consolation goal in a 3-1 loss.

And the answer if Koerverman's has an off day is to use Soolsma.

ManUtd4ever
07-08-2012, 12:00 PM
And I won't complain about Winters or any other possession based style of play. The style is what I liked. Not Winters execution of it. Winter was the eventual problem...not his preferred style of play.

And please show me where I said that Winter never had them playing a possession based game.

You're the one trying to sell me on the idea that he played hoof ball like Mariner. I said he didn't.

And I agree...Winter had his team playing too many balls into the box but that's a far cry from playing the ball from the keeper or back line all the way up to the strikers like Mariner is doing.

As for Mariners approach...it's fine. If that's the way the club is going to go that's up to them. But it will cost them a fan in me and I'm sure many others.

If I wanna watch soccer where the primary method of defending and attacking is totally ignoring the midfield I can go watch it at my local park where there are 14 year old kids still being taught this archaic style of play.

I'd hoped for more from TFC but as long as they pander to people who are willing to trade long term success for short term moderate improvement (that looks horrid) they will languish between the bottom of the league and mid table mediocrity at best.

I will enjoy the game. If they start to use their midfielders for more than 5 and 6th defensive players tasked to kick the ball away to 50/50 balls.

You stated that Winter couldn't execute his preferred possession based system. If the players couldn't execute it properly, what's there to like?

Furthermore, I never stated that Winter relied exclusively on the long ball as his overall strategy, I said that TFC utilized it as part of their overall strategy, and almost exclusively in the offensive third of the pitch to create scoring opportunities, which is accurate.

I don't think Mariner relies exclusively on the long ball either. He relies on it more than Winter did in the defensive end, but I also think TFC has been more creative on the attack under Mariner's tutelage, using the middle of the pitch far more often than in the past.

The major difference with TFC under Mariner other than his tactical approach is that they are much more responsible defensively, as Gazza pointed out. So even if Koevermans slows down, a competent defence will always give the team a chance to earn a result. I'm sure that others will eventually start chipping in on the scoring sheet.

07-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Can someone kindly link to the pregame thread?

Cheers,
Martyn

OgtheDim
07-08-2012, 01:25 PM
So how's the weather down there today?

bigredone
07-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Any chance Soolsma will start?

If Henry starts I predict a shut-out for the good guys.

mowe
07-08-2012, 02:07 PM
#TorontoFC‬ (https://twitter.com/search/%23TorontoFC) XI: Kocic; Hall, Eckersley, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Dunfield, Frings, Avila; Koevermans, Johnson

CBTFC
07-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Looks like it'll be pushing close to 36 with humidity down there. Gonna be a sweaty, sticky match.

Not sure what to predict, but I just hope for a strong start from the Reds. Oh, and to not concede in the first 5 minutes. That'd be great.

TFC!

OgtheDim
07-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Subs: Roberts; Henry, Maund, Stinson, de Guzman, Silva, Soolsma

Richard
07-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Does anyone care if JDG is on the bench? I think Mariner is on to something by benching him forever.

Stream:
http://atdhenet.tv/48020/watch-philadelphia-union-vs-toronto-fc
(http://atdhenet.tv/48020/watch-philadelphia-union-vs-toronto-fc)
Radio

http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air

bigredone
07-08-2012, 02:49 PM
I care about the money he could free up.

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
#TorontoFC‬ (https://twitter.com/search/%23TorontoFC) XI: Kocic; Hall, Eckersley, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Dunfield, Frings, Avila; Koevermans, Johnson

Weird. For all the talk of fixture congestion, injury worries and hot weather you'd think there would be some changes.

Who knows. Hopefully they start well and can get some relief through subs on their own terms.

I feel bad for JDG and soolsma.

They've gone from regulars to afterthoughts.

TorCanSoc
07-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Game is tomorrow.

D'oh!! Every time we have an away Sunday game. It gets me every time. :)

Richard
07-08-2012, 02:53 PM
^ I do too. I think at this point Mariner is like "fuck it" and play someone who has more heart and desire. Regardless of how much were paying him its a lost cause, they cant do anything with his contract now so i guess there just going to make him miserable for being useless.

Carts
07-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Weird. For all the talk of fixture congestion, injury worries and hot weather you'd think there would be some changes.

Agreed. I thought we'd see a few changes as well...

I guess he's going with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but you can runs guys out of gas quickly with this schedule/heat...

We can beat Philly - and can't get any lower in the standings so I hope the boys just goes balls out for a win...

Also, if changes are needed mid-match, I hope we don't wait too long to make them...

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 03:08 PM
^ I do too. I think at this point Mariner is like "fuck it" and play someone who has more heart and desire. Regardless of how much were paying him its a lost cause, they cant do anything with his contract now so i guess there just going to make him miserable for being useless.

TFC must be determined not to pay DeGuzman a performance bonus. There's no strategy or disciplining behind keeping one of your "best players" on the bench. Problem is that its only 16 games into the season(not even halfway through the season) and now your saying the season is over. No confidence to turn it around at all.

Paul Mariner hasnt been the head coach for that long, but he cant be that naive to think he will get another season to "improve" the squad.

Carts
07-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Canadian Ref - lets hope he hates America! LOL

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Canadian Ref - lets hope he hates America! LOL

He's from BC so I'm sure he hates us.. Lol

Carts
07-08-2012, 03:16 PM
He's from BC so I'm sure he hates us.. Lol

LOL! Very true...!!!

bigredone
07-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Lambe is a lion

Yohan
07-08-2012, 03:17 PM
what the fuck was that, hall

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 03:18 PM
There was a chubby ref from the montreal vs kansas city game this week that was absolutely horrid. This week theres been some horrible calls by MLS refs.

Yohan
07-08-2012, 03:20 PM
yay. at least no early goal given up... yet

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Lambe is a lion

if he's a lion, than dunfield is a badger. I'm joking, but I wouldnt even classify Dunfield anything higher than a chipmunk.

DoubleUp
07-08-2012, 03:21 PM
See how much trouble a player with feet can cause. ..........that was close

__wowza
HAHAHA. holy shit adu!
HOLY SHIT ECKS!!

i hope he enjoyed spoiling a goal of the week candidate as much as i enjoyed watching it.

Dkolish3
Adu beats everyone except Ecks but can't see the two open guys on either side of him?

Carts
07-08-2012, 03:22 PM
BALLS OUT MILOS... well in son...

Dkolish3
07-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Roberts? Kocic looks fucked.

__wowza
07-08-2012, 03:25 PM
jesus christ, look at the possession stat:
philly - 70%
TFC - 30%

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow 70% possession for Philly so far

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 03:27 PM
jesus christ, look at the possession stat:
philly - 70%
TFC - 30%

Lol.. You beat me to it..

DoubleUp
07-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Frings is a non-factor right now

Carts
07-08-2012, 03:28 PM
This game is a penalty waiting to happen with Philly in the box so much...

[NBF]
TFC is non factor right now....

v00d00daddy
Commentator: "....as Eckersley unconventionally clears"

Hahahaha

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Frings is a non-factor right now

Hard for him to be a factor when we just hoof the ball back to Philly..

TFC07
07-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Hall is getting schooled lol

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Seriously...is it necessary for Kocic to have to push everyone upfield for a long kick EVERY SINGLE time he has the ball?

bigredone
07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
;1508511']if he's a lion, than dunfield is a badger. I'm joking, but I wouldnt even classify Dunfield anything higher than a chipmunk.

Lambe has been reduced to Lemur status.

DoubleUp
07-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Hard for him to be a factor when we just hoof the ball back to Philly..

even defensively, he's slow and reacts the same.

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 03:33 PM
This game is a penalty waiting to happen with Philly in the box so much...

Lol.. I'm going with ecks..

Yohan
07-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Emory to rescue again

DoubleUp
07-08-2012, 03:34 PM
;1508522']TFC is non factor right now....

the midfield is non-existant so no service to the forwards and no assistants to the young back line.

Red CB Toronto
07-08-2012, 03:36 PM
can u feel it !!!!

Carts
07-08-2012, 03:37 PM
can u feel it !!!!

feel what?

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Kocic is reading the game well. Mcinnerny chickened out on that last chance due to Kocic's bravery on the earlier 50/50 ball.

Love seeing a keeper scare the striker lol

ChrisFizik
07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
what is going on today? anyone else think this looks like a totally different team than what we've seen the past number of weeks? Shouldn't we be competing with Philly?

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Dunfield is skipping out there. DeGuzman should be in this game.

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 03:39 PM
It's not good when your two best players have been Lambe and Emory thus far..

Red CB Toronto
07-08-2012, 03:40 PM
feel what?

a win, regardless of how much it has been all Union to start things off.

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 03:41 PM
what is going on today? anyone else think this looks like a totally different team than what we've seen the past number of weeks? Shouldn't we be competing with Philly?

Looks to me like they're playing a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 with Dunfield and Frings covering the back four. Its whole different idea than the 4-4-2 they have played in the past few games.

jloome
You're allowed to go shoulder-to-shoulder, not fucking check the guy. fuck, philly fans are stupid.

v00d00daddy
Eckersley avoid a possible straight red.

This is ugly.

Benficachop20
77% possession for Union. Fuck sakes were garbage.

Dunfield and Ecks ball watching lolz. Ecks is garbage don't know why so many people like this guy. I know people hate De Guz, but honestly Dunfield over Deguz? give me a break.

Red CB Toronto
07-08-2012, 03:42 PM
That was terrible.

OgtheDim
Slow motion goal. Grrrr...

Dkolish3
a win, regardless of how much it has been all Union to start things off.

We're destined to always be disappointed.

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
It's not good when your two best players have been Lambe and Emory thus far..

This is literally like juggling chainsaws.

wow a horrid goal.

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Well that's been coming for 30+ mins...

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 03:44 PM
fuck

Carts
The boys look like they hit the Philly club district last night...

They look like a hungover men's league team...

ryan
hoofball forever!

Benficachop20
lmao Hall is by far the worst rb i've ever seen. Midfield is complete garbage, we have better players on the bench.

Dkolish3
What is Hall fucking doing?

lobo
everybody saw that coming, right?

possession 99% for philly

OgtheDim
And...again. Hall caught out and Kocic should have had that.

Red CB Toronto
07-08-2012, 03:45 PM
This is mother fuckin bull shit, it is too easy for the Union, Hall by playing way too narrow gave up way to much space to Adu, what the fuck !!!

ag futbol
Terrible run of play here by TFC. They look like they're napping

But… let me say this:

The good thing I see is that the backline are TRYING to cover for each other’s mistakes. A few guys got skinned early in the game and the player next to them was able to clean up the mess. The issue is that we’re making far too many mistakes in the first place and inevitably some of them can't be covered.

v00d00daddy
It's okay...we've won a long throw.

Fucking joke

[NBF]
Hall needs to come off or replace dunfield in the midfield

__wowza
im waiting for the half and hoping we're not going to get opened up worse before then. i could easily see them scoring another 1 or 2.

106-12
the worst 1st have this season nobody is even playing

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Well that's that.. Getting smoke by Philly is disgraceful.... Just shows how bad we are.. Again the starting lineup should have included JDG..

Oldtimer
07-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Losing by 2 against the second-worst team in MLS. So anyone think that longball is really going to save TFC?

denime
07-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Wow 70% possession for Philly so far

Well,Mariner said it in his last interview that possession will be a key to win in Phily,boy was he right about that.

Red CB Toronto
07-08-2012, 03:47 PM
The Reds are being raped today and are doing nothing at all to prevent it, too bad they can not blow an emergency whistle !!

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Story so far:

Terrible team A playing 4-4-2 hoof ball

Terrible team B playing 4-3-3 possession

Terrible team B eating Terrible team A alive.

And cue the heat and tired players excuse from devos

ag futbol
07-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Put the academy kids in for part of the second half... what is there to lose?

Our current roster of players is a joke (which is funny because for a last place team we have a fair number of sacred cows).

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Well,Mariner said it in his last interview that possession will be a key to win in Phily,boy was he right about that.

Oh yeah...forgot about that.

Possession is 9/10ths of the blah blah blah....

Mariner proceeds to stand in his technical area with his right arm pointed downfield everytime we have the ball in our own half.

Dkolish3
Losing by 2 against the second-worst team in MLS. So anyone think that longball is really going to save TFC?

I don't know anything about that but 20% possession and our most consistently good mid on the bench is not a recipe for success.

DoubleUp
look how easy the midfield was bypassed there.

Oldtimer
07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
4-3-3 possession doesn't work. We need more hoofball.

Red CB Toronto
I think the Reds pooped their pants and are enjoying it, smearing it on each other.

denime
Here we go,Frings please

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Will koevermans' single handed play salvage a goal?

cochrdoc
07-08-2012, 03:51 PM
We need some signings for the summer transfer.It is a shame that nothing has been done.This roster is noy good enough.Realease some of the guys who do not play any and bring in some players who can make a differance.

Red CB Toronto
07-08-2012, 03:52 PM
It is a fuckin shame this team enjoys what I do nt know ...

jloome
Dude, Frings ain't Frings anymore. Seriously, even in the games he was just lauded for, it was a moment of brilliance that made his day; statistically, he's about as bad as Dunfield.

Emory has been the biggest disappointment today.

ryan
Oh yeah...forgot about that.

Possession is 9/10ths of the blah blah blah....

Mariner proceeds to stand in his technical area with his right arm pointed downfield everytime we have the ball in our own half.

Amusing how he's ranting at the back line to move forward...then they get chipped over the top.

Benficachop20
Put the academy kids in for part of the second half... what is there to lose?

Our current roster of players is a joke (which is funny because for a last place team we have a fair number of sacred cows).

heck our academy is doing very good this season. might as well replace our senior team with our academy, they'll probably do better.

TFC07
07-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Hall once again getting schooled. Bench this guy already!

Oldtimer
It should have been 3-0 by now.

jloome
We're just not pressing the ball, not talking, not moving into space. It's like they didn't even show.

Maybe the fallout from Plata in the locker room was worse than we thought; he was a popular guy.

We certainly have several positions in need of an upgrade.

DoubleUp
07-08-2012, 03:54 PM
wow this is turning into a clinic.

tfc2008
07-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Toronto gone do nothing about to sign players

v00d00daddy
07-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Well at least it's not 3 or 4 nothing.

If I were JDG I'd complain of a tight hamstring.

Sorry skip...cant do it.

[NBF]
This team just doesnt look like athletes. The opposing players are not fearing any of the guys on our team other than Koevermans.

TFC USA
Okay, assuming we lose this, that "unbeaten in 5" is now "winless in 1 of our last 6".

Welcome back to reality.

khso11
07-08-2012, 03:57 PM
mariner should sub off Hall, he's out of form since last game, put Eck back to RB and sub on Henry

ag futbol
07-08-2012, 03:58 PM
We're just not pressing the ball, not talking, not moving into space. It's like they didn't even show.

Maybe the fallout from Plata in the locker room was worse than we thought; he was a popular guy.

We certainly have several positions in need of an upgrade.
Well that will tend to happen when you field two slllooow ball winners in the midfield and two lightweights beside them. It's like a training exercise out there the way they are suckering our players all over the place to open up space in front of the back four.

DoubleUp
07-08-2012, 03:58 PM
;1508585']This team just doesnt look like athletes. The opposing players are not fearing any of the guys on our team other than Koevermans.

Its actually opposite we have to many athletes and not enough technical skill.

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 03:59 PM
2nd half predictions:

1st Sub: Avila for Silva.

2nd Sub: Frings for DeGuzman.

3rd Sub: Lambe for Soolsma.

Adu will score 2 more goals. He just finished telling Lee Godfrey that he's going to give TFC the mortal kombat treatment. This is the only time ive seen Adu act confident ever.

denime
07-08-2012, 03:59 PM
We need some signings for the summer transfer.It is a shame that nothing has been done.This roster is noy good enough.Realease some of the guys who do not play any and bring in some players who can make a differance.

Because even if you release player it will still count against the cap,releasing players on the roster from 20-30 means nothing,they are not counting against the cap anyway.

Players that can make deference wont come here,who the fuck want to play hoofhoofball?

and lets face it, Mariner and Cockrane weren't able to bring players who can make difference when that was their only job for 18 months,now with Mariner coaching/jumping on the sideline and Cocrane still working hard on Plata's loan,there is no way we will get any decent player anytime soon.

Let's hope boys will be in good shape this Wednesday against Shitcaps,I would really hate to lose against them,after we dominated them in both VC games.

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Well on the bright side, a loss to Philly today will basically give us the 1st pick overall next season..

On a side note are there any other coaches in this league that look like they are going to sub themselves in? Shorts and indoor shoes? Looks like he's coaching a pee wee team.. We've never acted as a professional club, so we are now not even giving the appearance of being professional?

OgtheDim
07-08-2012, 04:00 PM
When your midfield barely touches the ball, there is a problem. All the apologists can say what they want about this being better then Winter but comparing yourself to the past is a mug's game.

Mariner looks out of his depth.

Benficachop20
07-08-2012, 04:01 PM
mariner should sub off Hall, he's out of form since last game, put Eck back to RB and sub on Henry

Since last game? he's like this every game, the fact he's even playing in this level is amazing.

Put on Henry, JDG and Soolsma. Better players on the bench.

Oldtimer
07-08-2012, 04:02 PM
and lets face it, Mariner and Cockrane weren't able to bring players who can make difference when that was their only job for 18 months,now with Mariner coaching/jumping on the sideline and Cocrane still working hard on Plata's loan,there is no way we will get any decent player anytime soon.

Sad, but true. How much of the 0-9 start was due to poor player acquisition? Certainly part of it. The other part was a coach who thought that the team was Barcelona.

Oldtimer
07-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Well on the bright side, a loss to Philly today will basically give us the 1st pick overall next season..

I'm looking forward to the next brilliant acquisition by Cochrane...

gracos
07-08-2012, 04:05 PM
We are the Toronto Lynx, and we have television coverage, both teams were absolute failures

TFC07
07-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Fire Mariner and Cochrane now!

Jeff s
07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Hall and Ecks are freaking garbage. Get them off this team please!

Can't believe he's sitting Henry for any of these 2 idiots.

Replace Avilia for Silva
Dunfield for JDG
Lambe for Soolsma
Ecks for Henry
Hall for a kid from the streets. the ball kids are more useful.

stop telling them to play dinosaur tactics, and well see a much better team. Stop playing your friends Mariner!

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Because even if you release player it will still count against the cap,releasing players on the roster from 20-30 means nothing,they are not counting against the cap anyway.

Players that can make deference wont come here,who the fuck want to play hoofhoofball?

Let's hope boys will be in good shape this Wednesday against Shitcaps,I would really hate to lose against them,after we dominated them in both VC games.

Well if Mariner keeps starting this starting 11 and his tactics dictate giving the shitcaps 80% of the ball we are going to get smoked by at least 3 goals, that's a guarantee..

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 04:09 PM
deguzman for avila.......hahahahha

OgtheDim
Mariner has no clue........the problem starts at the front?!?!?!

Dkolish3
He's putting on De Guz hoping Mariner now realizes that Lambe is not a good replacement for De Guz.

denime

Idiots had chance to get home boy Kyle Becker last summer,but offered him half of what his scholarship cost at Boston College,now the prediction is Becker will be top 3 in the next draft,I would not be surprised if they manage to fuck this one up again.As for now 8 MLS teams are intersted for him,even though he counts as international player in US.

ryan
Sub out a CAM for a CDM down 2-0. Terry Dunfield is basically cemented into the lineup barring a concussion it seems.

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Down by 2 goals and we take Avila off but leave dunfield on?? Is Mariner drunk?

Benficachop20
07-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Frings with a terrible pass, and almost ends up a goal for Union

Dkolish3
07-08-2012, 04:12 PM
DeVos "Do you want to change a winning team" clearly according to everyone who is with or supports TFC consider draws to be wins

OgtheDim
07-08-2012, 04:12 PM
DeVos called TFC a winning side.....ties are not wins.

denime
07-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Down by 2 goals and we take Avila off but leave dunfield on?? Is Mariner drunk?:stogey:

And now Henry is coming in,are we UP or DOWN by TWO Goals?

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 04:13 PM

I totally forgot that.. Thanks for depressing the shit out of me.. Lol

ag futbol
07-08-2012, 04:15 PM
DeVos called TFC a winning side.....ties are not wins.
Yep...

Reminds me of my Sr. year in highschool when our team only lost one game all season ... and promptly came third last. We tied like 90% of our games.

denime
07-08-2012, 04:15 PM
We are improving Philies possession went from 77% down to 72% ,go hooooooofball

TFC07
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Hall once again gets beat

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 04:20 PM
:stogey:

And now Henry is coming in,are we UP or DOWN by TWO Goals?

I just don't get any of his tactics, he just seems utterly clueless to me.. Again I want him to succeed or anyone for that matter, but as some posted earlier he just seems out of his depth..

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 04:21 PM
http://screencrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/the-walking-dead-fan-made-video-27-9-10-kc.jpg

http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/WalkingDead-570x865.jpg

Can someone do a TFC Walking dead poster? Im just asking, i think it would be a good idea.

TFC07
07-08-2012, 04:23 PM
On positive side, Morgan is having a good game.

Chris Wren
We are improving Philies possession went from 77% down to 72% ,go hooooooofball

Seriously dude, you're a broken record. What do you get out of supporting this team? Clearly it's not enjoyment.

We get it. You don't like the style of play.

ag futbol
Did Terry Dunfield just complete a forward pass? *slow clap*

gracos
07-08-2012, 04:24 PM
can we just forfeit the rest of the season, it would be less painful to watch, because we know trhe outcome

ryan
07-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Seriously dude, you're a broken record. What do you get out of supporting this team? Clearly it's not enjoyment.

We get it, you don't like people commenting against hoofball. He's a member, you're a visitor on his board, you have no place to tell him what he can and can't say.

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 04:27 PM

So what are you enjoying about getting completely dominated by the 2nd worst team in the league?

azorean19
07-08-2012, 04:28 PM
When your midfield barely touches the ball, there is a problem. All the apologists can say what they want about this being better then Winter but comparing yourself to the past is a mug's game.

Mariner looks out of his depth.

agreed!...Who are we kidding? this team fucken stinks..........blow it up, Mariner ain't the answer.

bigredone
07-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Good fucking God

Benficachop20
07-08-2012, 04:29 PM
omg mariner just subbed off his bf Dunfield!!!!

Soccerpro
07-08-2012, 04:29 PM
I hope this serves as a reality check to many on this board that there are several in the starting lineup that aren't up to quality and that Mariner isn't exactly going to be a savior at this point.

azorean19
07-08-2012, 04:30 PM
He loves Dunfield......all u have to know.

denime
07-08-2012, 04:31 PM

Relax,anyone who is with TFC from day one had learn how to deal with circus we have since 2007.It's all about fun:party:

LittleOzzy
07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
This team was at least fun to watch when Plata was running up and down the field. I miss that little guy sometimes.

Red CB Toronto
07-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Idiots had chance to get home boy Kyle Becker last summer,but offered him half of what his scholarship cost at Boston College,now the prediction is Becker will be top 3 in the next draft,I would not be surprised if they manage to fuck this one up again.As for now 8 MLS teams are intersted for him,even though he counts as international player in US.

Were the Reds going to be able to sign Becker as a home grown player?

bigredone
07-08-2012, 04:33 PM
I hope this serves as a reality check to many on this board that there are several in the starting lineup that aren't up to quality and that Mariner isn't exactly going to be a savior at this point.

You are right! Soolsma and Henry should have started. I do not think anyone needs a reminder though that things are not good. Signs are everywhere!

Soccerpro
Were the Reds going to be able to sign Becker as a home grown player?

He wanted to finish college. And can you point to a link showing him to be a top #3 pick in the draft? That ranking is news to me.

denime

We get it, you don't like people commenting against hoofball. He's a member, you're a visitor on his board, you have no place to tell him what he can and can't say.

It has nothing to do with member or user and so on.

He is frustrated as much as we are,at the end our team is being raped by 2nd last place team.

ag futbol
07-08-2012, 04:34 PM
This team was at least fun to watch when Plata was running up and down the field. I miss that little guy sometimes.

"He's still on the team!"

Soccerpro
07-08-2012, 04:34 PM
The sad thing is we have a very old lineup out there. Philly may suck this year but they have a very young team and are playing us off the field. We're not exactly building for the future here like they are...

Soccerpro
07-08-2012, 04:35 PM

He was fun to watch last year when he was good. I don't remember him being effective in any appearance this year.

azorean19
07-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Hard to watch.....

Red CB Toronto
07-08-2012, 04:36 PM
He wanted to finish college. And can you point to a link showing him to be a top #3 pick in the draft? That ranking is news to me.

If TFC had a home grown claim on him last year could they still have one this year and keep him out of the draft?

DaBandit
07-08-2012, 04:37 PM
"He's still on the team!"

Lmfao

Soccerpro
07-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Can we agree on a few things here:
1. Need to get rid of Ecks and his 390k contract, also Dunfield who is just hustle and little skill and Hall who isn't very good especially for his large cap hit (130k?)
2. Still need a strong CB
3. Need a AMC

OgtheDim
07-08-2012, 04:38 PM
The sad thing is we have a very old lineup out there...

Emory 24
Eckersley 23
Hall 23
Lambe 21
Morgan 21

azorean19
07-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Emory having a game !...YIKES !

Soccerpro
07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Emory 24
Eckersley 23
Hall 23
Lambe 21
Morgan 21

Same ages as the Philly players, only they dont have Danny K, Frings, Dunfield, JDG...

azorean19
07-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Reggie lambe another mariner signing, NOT GOOD ENUFF !

[NBF]
07-08-2012, 04:40 PM

He is frustrated as much as we are,at the end our team is being raped by 2nd last place team.

Sometimes it gets to me being a fan of this team, but then you always gotta look on the bright side.......some day it will turn around.

Here's one my favorite videos on YouTube for those who want a laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxybRlfs3wg

ag futbol
07-08-2012, 04:41 PM
This ref is shit

denime

TFC already tried to pull the home grown player card with Kyle,but so did Montreal and Vancouver too,and MLS told all three clubs to fuck off it wont happen.

Top 3 pick was mentioned last week when several NCAA coaches spent 2 weeks in Sigma soccer camp,it is not official but those are expectations from NCAA coaches and his agent.

ryan
back into the 30's for possession. TFC! TFC! TFC!

Carts
Just start having shots on goal... At least hit it on target and see what happens, maybe get a softy or deflection...

OgtheDim
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Same ages as the Philly players, only they dont have Danny K, Frings, Dunfield, JDG...

Ur point was we have an old lineup.

In MLS terms, we do not.

azorean19
07-08-2012, 04:43 PM
haahhahh......second last raping last. This defense stinks !

DaBandit
Holy horrible batman..

Benficachop20
lol emory heads it right to the union player, then gets beaten on the run and now we concede. HENRY > Emory, ecks

Blizzard
That was a brutally lame yellow card awarded to Frings.

... and damnitall, Emery was asleep again. Milos didn't have the angle right either but our back four has had one horrible night.

__wowza
its funny how quickly "unbeaten in 5" becomes "winless in 6"

Red CB Toronto
Fuck this ...

Soccerpro
07-08-2012, 04:44 PM
The only thing worse than the players that have been brought in under Mariner's watch is the cost to get them:

Ecks - 390K salary. The 2nd most expensive defender in my MLS who just boots the ball.
Plata - 500K to get him after 1 effective season
Hall - A large salary for a guy FC Dallas fans couldnt say enough bad things about when he played.

So this is the man who is going to fix things for TFC?

azorean19
07-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Mariner seriously has to take more blame for this than he has up to this point, guys like Lambe, Emory, etc....were his signings... They are'nt good enuff !

Benficachop20
can we just start playing guys like Stinson, Cordon, and Makubuya? what's there to lose? might as well give them a look and some mls experience.

TFC USA
Philly fires their coach and they win 3 games.

We fire ours and we're still shitter than ever.

Suds
Very poor on so many levels today. Many players have individual bad games. Midfield not even attempting to cut out passing lanes. Defenders not aware of anyone running off their shoulder or behind them. No real threats offensively.

Nothing was good today.

Beach_Red
07-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Yes, it's just frustrating. And it doesn't matter what style we try to play, every other team in the league simply adapts and outplays us.