PDA

View Full Version : Morgan signs long term deal with TFC

Pookie
07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Here's a bit of positive news.

Ashtone Morgan has signed a long term deal with TFC. Great local story. Great use of the Canadian Roster Quota on one of the best (current) players from our country to play on this side of the ocean.

I also tried to draw attention to Morgan's low salary relative to players like Silva and asked whether TFC was exploiting its Academy grads. At least in the case of Morgan, they appear to have done the right thing and rectified this situation.

Well earned Ashtone. Looking forward to seeing your future development in Red.

Derko
07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Thank goodness for some positive news.

Great to hear.

ACSertL
07-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Excellent news. He's been very impressive both defending and going forward in the attack this year. A real bright spot for the club and I hope he serves as an example for other homegrown players as well.

Ajax TFC
07-05-2012, 10:03 AM
This means he counts against the cap now right? The whole HG contract thing is confusing to me, but wouldn't he have not counted if they gave him a proper contract to begin with?

But whatever, this is still good for him, and good for the academy

[NBF]
07-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Here's a bit of positive news.

Ashtone Morgan has signed a long term deal with TFC. Great local story. Great use of the Canadian Roster Quota on one of the best (current) players from our country to play on this side of the ocean.

I also tried to draw attention to Morgan's low salary relative to players like Silva and asked whether TFC was exploiting its Academy grads. At least in the case of Morgan, they appear to have done the right thing and rectified this situation.

Well earned Ashtone. Looking forward to seeing your future development in Red.

First time in TFC history!!!! Someone young, gets a raise and signs a long term deal. I've been surprised by his level of play and his improvement over the last year and half. I hope Kocic and Henry are next to sign extensions and get raises.

PopePouri
07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
I think he's now counts against the cap if he signed a "senior" contract. Bill Hamid did the same thing last year.

Fishnicker
07-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Great news.

I love his new improved crossing in the last month or so. Low curlers right behind the D. He had 3 or 4 good ones last night. Before he always did high floaters that usually ended up behind the net.

I really enjoys watching young players develop.

ryan
07-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Amazing news. Nice to have a position where you don't have to worry about for a long period of time.

__wowza
07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
congrats go out to ashtone, he's certainly earned it.

ManUtd4ever
07-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Well deserved. I look forward to watching one of our most promising Academy prospects continue to develop as a professional footballer with TFC.

T-boy
07-05-2012, 11:32 AM
This is where I think Morgan is clearly a sensible man, and Plata is being a child. Morgan could easily have just as good a career as Plata, and obviously see's staying with the club that has helped his career thus far as a good move. This is good news for TFC, and good news for the player who see's TFC as a future for him. Well done Ashtone!

Fort York Redcoat
07-05-2012, 12:55 PM

I'm glad to see this move first of all but I also like to see further proof of your stance on wanting good, deserved Canadian talent using this squad's quota.

[NBF]
07-05-2012, 02:00 PM
This is where I think Morgan is clearly a sensible man, and Plata is being a child. Morgan could easily have just as good a career as Plata, and obviously see's staying with the club that has helped his career thus far as a good move. This is good news for TFC, and good news for the player who see's TFC as a future for him. Well done Ashtone!

You obviously have something against Joao Plata. I'm sure if Plata had it his way he would start every game and make no excuses. Youre bitching about a kid thats barely 5 feet tall being left out of the starting lineup because he's a foot short of hoof ball requirements. I'm sure that would make anyone demand respect.

Sensible Morgan, doesnt have a choice other than staying with TFC, because if he goes to another team in MLS he will end up like Joao Plata and Nana Attakora. Right now he needs the games under his belt on a horrible team because if he leaves he needs to leave for a starting role. Thats just being realistic about the Canadians in MLS.

T-boy
07-05-2012, 02:07 PM
If you read this forum and didn't see any results, you would think that TFC had now lost 15 games on the trot. We are unbeaten in 5 games, and everybody is still saying we are "horrible team"? I guess its going to take a long time for people to see that TFC are playing well. :( I guess TFC fans are now too jaded now :(

Trying to be an optimistic TFC fan is like trying to eat a delicious cake filled with nails! So delicious, yet so f-ing painful!

Walms
07-05-2012, 03:24 PM
This is Great news!! A massive Congradulations to Ashton and his family.
It's great to see players who grew up in this city showing commitment to this club and having the club return that commitment to the player!
Ashton is one of my favorit players in a TFC jersey and I hope he wears it for years to come!!

ag futbol
07-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Congrats to him on his new deal. Glad to see he'll be with TFC for a while.

First big purchase: orange lambo with personalized plates "DE MORGAN"

ensco
07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
This is very important for the Academy.
Guys need to see that not going the NCAA route can work out.
He is a promising player, that's for sure.

Fort York Redcoat
07-05-2012, 04:35 PM
If you read this forum and didn't see any results, you would think that TFC had now lost 15 games on the trot. We are unbeaten in 5 games, and everybody is still saying we are "horrible team"? I guess its going to take a long time for people to see that TFC are playing well. :( I guess TFC fans are now too jaded now :(

Trying to be an optimistic TFC fan is like trying to eat a delicious cake filled with nails! So delicious, yet so f-ing painful!

No that looks different g:D. Not horrible. Just not where we want it. Closer. But not yet.

Mmmmm. Save me some of that nail-cake!g:D

TFC07
07-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Congrats Morgan!

pdogg
07-05-2012, 04:55 PM

<pessimistic/realist hat on>
I think people see a team that has only won twice in 15 league games. And our 5 game unbeaten streak could easily turn into a 3 game winless streak.
<pessimistic/realist hat off>

Everyone wants the team to win and wants to do well, some need more of an indication than others. put together a 5 game winning streak with 3 or 4 wins and more. People will come on board.

<edited to keep content on topic>

Congrats to Morgan, he appears to be a bright spot going forward. First academy signing, first hgp to regularly crack the starting 11 and now an extension.

jazzy
07-05-2012, 10:39 PM
This is very important for the Academy.
Guys need to see that not going the NCAA route can work out.
He is a promising player, that's for sure.

the best is he's straight from northern where the kids had to fight to even play soccer, never gives up, a lesson to the prima donnas with all the pedigrees........what a fighter.....great kid, supportive family....to the early haters all he needs is strong coaching,....