PDA

View Full Version : Nick Soolsma

Doucet3
07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Just wanted to know what everyone thought?, with the whole Houston ordeal and playing time or injuries just wanted to know what you guys thought of his future.

Personally I think he's a great winger one of our best, besides his pace, he smart on the ball, good distribution and can deke the defense out, I don't understand why he dosnt start more ?, with Plata gone (temp/ permanent either way) I think he should be the one to get any starts plata would have had.

So what do see Soolsma as to us ??

:scarf:

West220Side
07-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Nick Soolsma

24 Years of Age
$110,000 Salary
Right Winger
31 League Appearances
3 Goals with 7 Assists
Don't forget his goal in Los Angeles during the quarter-finals

The only negative is that he takes up an international spot, and he's known as one of "Winters signings" which was suspected could be troublesome for Paul Mariner. He's played good. Its not as if he's off every night getting smashed before game day, can't judge the guy from one poor decision. Havn't there been multiple pictures from clubs of de Guzman partying before game day in Toronto? He's paid for what he produces $80,000 to $110,000 is appropriate so you can't say he's over paid. He's fairly young. One of his gifts is how he's figured out how to beat MLS defenders quite simply and deliver a solid cross from the right side of play onto Koev.

As for Plata departing and him slotting in there, I believe Nick Soolsma is a right-winger similiar to Reggie Lambe and with Terry Dunfield on the pitch hasn't de Guzman been slotted into right midfield? Right now realisticly he's a bench player, could easily be a starter its just very tight in that midfield some how.

What happened in Houston doesn't affect my opinion of him at all really. Aceval yes, because he's shyte and overpaid, get 'em out. Woops, off topic ;)

Island Man
07-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Has played good v Impact and NY, offers something different than our other wingers. As the others are mostly about pace. I like Nick quite a lot and hope he does have a future, good player.

maxpower
07-01-2012, 05:36 PM
last year I though "Soolsma" meant slow (very) and ineffective in Dutch. But, as the season went on and he started to play more, it was obvious that he is pretty smart on the ball and has the ability to take on a defender 1-1. However, seeing as Mariner's formation doesn't warrant having as many wingers as we do, we should drop him for a CM.

jazzy
07-01-2012, 05:46 PM
he's a very heady player....there are many greats who aren't fast....Pirlo ring a bell...even Nesta.....speed is nothing when he can consistently beat his man and accurately pass or cross.....he's making less than Cann etc,....a bargain

PopePouri
07-01-2012, 05:50 PM
The formation should actually play to Soolsma strengths because he's a winger, not a forward. And he'll slot in well centrally because he's strong and comfortable on the ball.

joeyjones
07-01-2012, 08:22 PM
The formation should actually play to Soolsma strengths because he's a winger, not a forward. And he'll slot in well centrally because he's strong and comfortable on the ball.

IIRC Soolsma said that he played primarily as a striker before he moved to TFC

Yohan
07-01-2012, 08:30 PM
IIRC Soolsma said that he played primarily as a striker before he moved to TFCif he never played winger hes proving to be pretty versatile bc he didnt look too bad at cm too. Though i think he should stick to right side

jloome
07-01-2012, 08:46 PM

He played as a striker and a wide forward. He played in the middle once in a game last season where he came in as a substitute and he looked very solid. Decent tackler, good passer, very clever player.

Stouffville_RPB
07-01-2012, 09:33 PM
I like Soolsma a lot. One of the better signings TFC have made. Young player with talent, versatility, and fairly compensated. that said I think his days are numbered at the club. I can see him not fitting with the new managers vision. Good player and I'd like to see him stick.

Ajax TFC
07-01-2012, 11:09 PM
However, seeing as Mariner's formation doesn't warrant having as many wingers as we do, we should drop him for a CM.
what happened to the players dictating the formation? Soolsma is one of the better players and he works well with Koevermans. If he doesn't fit the system, then the system should be changed to allow for him to play at right midfield.

Thats odd. My memory could be screwed (although I do have a pretty good memory) but I recall him saying in his first interview that his position is right winger "I can also play striker, but that is not my position". Anyone else recall this?

Greatest Ripoff
07-01-2012, 11:57 PM
However, seeing as Mariner's formation doesn't warrant having as many wingers as we do, we should drop him for a CM.

Then I think Lambe should be first out the door. I thought he was really starting to make mark as a player in Toronto, but under the new system he just doesn't fit at all and looks a shadow of what we saw earlier in the season.

Soolsma I see fitting nicely in the new system. His lack of pace is less of a problem and he has the ball skills and passing ability to slot in on the right side of midfield.

Fort York Redcoat
07-02-2012, 09:09 AM
what happened to the players dictating the formation? Soolsma is one of the better players and he works well with Koevermans. If he doesn't fit the system, then the system should be changed to allow for him to play at right midfield.

Thats odd. My memory could be screwed (although I do have a pretty good memory) but I recall him saying in his first interview that his position is right winger "I can also play striker, but that is not my position". Anyone else recall this?

I remember it that way as well- Soolsma clearly prefers the right and said as much fromthe outset.

I think he has at least a year here. I doubt see much competition for his position but without consistent results Mariner will no doubt prefer to have someone his caliber or better that doesn't scream "Brand Winter".

PopePouri
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM

We play a diamond midfield and he looked fine on the right or left.

bigredone
07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
In a interview from 5-20-11 Soolsma comments on taking on the left defender, so your right I think. Also, the line you mentioned is here http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2850

Soolsma should stay. He can hold onto the ball and move it forward. Our "special teams" starters could use a non-punter. Further, is it his fault to have that Winter label? How long will that haunt others?

Fort York Redcoat
07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Soolsma should stay. He can hold onto the ball and move it forward. Our "special teams" starters could use a non-punter. Further, is it his fault to have that Winter label? How long will that haunt others?

No. The label isn't his fault. Just sayin I think it exists. I like Soolsma. I hope he and Mariner improve the club.

Ajax TFC
07-02-2012, 11:21 AM
We play a diamond midfield and he looked fine on the right or left.
We rarely line up in a true diamond 4-4-2. We usually start with a 4-3-1-2 with wide defensive midfielders who move forwards less than the fullbacks. Soolsma's looked fine when he came on because he actually plays as a wide midfielder. The system changes when he comes on because he adds more of an attacking element from the wide midfield areas. But as it stands right now, we start with three DMs, and Soolsma doesn't start because of that

Blizzard
07-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Then I think Lambe should be first out the door. I thought he was really starting to make mark as a player in Toronto, but under the new system he just doesn't fit at all and looks a shadow of what we saw earlier in the season.

Soolsma I see fitting nicely in the new system. His lack of pace is less of a problem and he has the ball skills and passing ability to slot in on the right side of midfield.

Let's see if PM is big enough to admit that Aron's signing (Soolsma) is better than his signing (Lambe). Thus far he keep starting Lambe and subbing in Soolsma even though Soolsma has looked superior on each of these occasions.

Soccerpro
07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Soolsma always seems to get good crosses into the box and doesn't give up possession cheaply. I don't know why he doesn't get more chances to play.

__wowza
07-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Nick Soolsma

24 Years of Age
$110,000 Salary
Right Winger
31 League Appearances
3 Goals with 7 Assists
Don't forget his goal in Los Angeles during the quarter-finals

The only negative is that he takes up an international spot, and he's known as one of "Winters signings" which was suspected could be troublesome for Paul Mariner. He's played good. Its not as if he's off every night getting smashed before game day, can't judge the guy from one poor decision. Havn't there been multiple pictures from clubs of de Guzman partying before game day in Toronto? He's paid for what he produces $80,000 to $110,000 is appropriate so you can't say he's over paid. He's fairly young. One of his gifts is how he's figured out how to beat MLS defenders quite simply and deliver a solid cross from the right side of play onto Koev.

good post, pretty much a few of the points i echoed when people would compare him to plata last season. soolsma is one of the only people on the team that can put in a cross (aside from morgan), that can find danny, and in addition to that, he's more danny's speed. you can have plata make a quick break up the pitch, but there's no one up there with him, koev is too old to keep pace, especially with someone that quick. sooslma isn't the flashiest, but he's got a knack for getting the ball up pitch no matter what (he's our equivalent of the NHL's "grinder") and the number of times he plays straight to the touchline boggles my mind.

Lucky Strike
07-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Dollar for dollar, you could argue that Soolsma is one of the best signings the club has ever made. He is one of my favourite players to have ever worn the TFC shirt. He quite obviously has a place on the team given what he can do but the question is, is the fact that he was one of Winter's guys mean he is going to be ousted? I should think people have enough common sense that other people can have good decisions and that Mariner won't get rid of him purely on ego.

Derko
07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
good post, pretty much a few of the points i echoed when people would compare him to plata last season. soolsma is one of the only people on the team that can put in a cross (aside from morgan), that can find danny, and in addition to that, he's more danny's speed. you can have plata make a quick break up the pitch, but there's no one up there with him, koev is too old to keep pace, especially with someone that quick. sooslma isn't the flashiest, but he's got a knack for getting the ball up pitch no matter what (he's our equivalent of the NHL's "grinder") and the number of times he plays straight to the touchline boggles my mind.

Soolsma is one of my favourite players also, one Twat last year at the town hall meetings said that he was too predictable and easy to defend against, in fact this amateur could easily defend against Nick!!

I like they way Nick seems to be able to shoulder his way through along the sidelines, take the ball to the touchline and make a good cross, or create a corner, TFC seems to be getting much better at set pieces in the offensive third. I think at the very least Mariner does rate Nick because after the 1 game suspension (Houston trio thing) he is on the bench as a sub and has gotten some minutes. hopefully the minutes will increase and will become a starter again. I hope Mariner isn't such an arrogant ass that he cannot seee Nick's qualities and be utilized as an asset.