PDA

View Full Version : JDG

ryan
06-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Assuminging the Nesta deal which turns into DP status in 2013 is true.

What would you do with JDG with the following options? (see poll)

Auzzy
06-28-2012, 08:41 AM
I vote that this poll needs a poll.

ryan
06-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I vote that this poll needs a poll.

I guess you're one of them folk who don't realize the thread is posted before you get to choose the poll options. :)

Auzzy
06-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Yes I know, but I got in before the poll. g:D

Nuvinho
06-28-2012, 08:48 AM
JDG for $200K a year.

Auzzy
06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
JDG for $200K a year.

That's exactly what I was thinking as well.

Oldtimer
06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Robbo-level wages (up to $250k) is fair.

ryan
06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Yes I know, but I got in before the poll. g:D

http://www.virtualsportsnetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/43381.gif

billyfly
06-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Who's Nesta?

Gazza
06-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Who's Nesta?

He authored the book "Where's Ronaldo?"

Abou Sky
06-28-2012, 09:58 AM
He is worth $400k, just NOT a DP slot.

Thing is with players, a LITTLE better is a LOT more money. He is an amazing player, people get mad when he makes those shots from outside the box. ANYONE who knows the game knows he sees a hole and tries for it.

He is an excellent defensive mid, we would be hard pressed to have a for real replacement for him.

Fort York Redcoat
06-28-2012, 10:36 AM
I chose 100-200k. It's not that I don't think he's worth the next bracket but he got DP money he didn't deserve. Even it out a bit.

ManUtd4ever
06-28-2012, 10:58 AM
I'd offer JDG a 2-3 year contract extension for 300K. I think he is definitely still worth that cap hit, but not at the cost of a DP slot.

Jack
06-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah, at non-DP money, definitely. Playing beside Frings and in front of Nesta makes JDG that much better, too. It also keeps Dunfield out.

ensco
06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Shocked at the early results of this poll. Keeping him, at any price, is a huge mistake.

It may be that he can be an effective MLS player at those wage rates (I am not sure, seems to me they're not paying $200K for back passes and square balls from MFs anywhere in MLS, but I digress) .... but sadly, it can only be somewhere else.

I think there are almost no examples in sports of guys taking massive pay cuts and being productive for the same team. There is always too much baggage and history.

In this particular case, more than $5 million got flushed mostly down the toilet. He's been paid 10x what he is worth. The opportunity cost of that is just too painful to even think about. It's best to move on.

T-boy
06-28-2012, 11:09 AM
To me, I'd rather have Dunfield playing that JDG, and Dunfield is on tiny wages compared to JDG. Other comparable (and better) DM's like Alonso in the league are on a fraction of what JDG is making. It proves that you can get a decent DM without paying 2 million a season. So for that, I think JDG's days as a TFC player are numbered, and there is no way he would accept going from earing 2M a season to 200k.

Jack
06-28-2012, 11:15 AM
JDG is still a much better player than Dunfield.

backbeat
06-28-2012, 11:19 AM

lightyears better than Dunfield - i'd happily have JDG at $300K

T-boy
06-28-2012, 11:19 AM

Technically yes. But JDG just hasn't done anywhere NEAR enough at any point in his TFC career. Plus he's eating up a massive amount of cap space that we could use in other areas of the field. If JDG vanished today and we had to play Dunfield the rest of the season, we woul'dn't miss much and Dunfield would easily account for JDG's loss.

(FYI if JDG does vanish today, please don't get the cops calling my house, I'm just giving an example, I'm not going to kidnap the guy! :p )

T-boy
06-28-2012, 11:22 AM

Better yes, but in my opinion definitely not "lightyears" better.

The amount of times I've shouted at JDG for passing the ball to nobody or fouling in a horrible and unsafe position is much more than I've shouted at Dunfield this last season! JDG is no better tackler than Dunfield, that's for sure. (having said that, neither are great at it!).

BS1327
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
His club play has been disappointing, especially with comparissons to recent Canadian games, but he's been better since Frings has arrived. Playing with Hutch definitally helps him with Canada, and now Frings is doing the same. I agree with the sentiment mentioned above that our midfield would have a hole in it should JDG leave. It would be nice if he resigned for 200-300k, but who would take a paycut of that magnitude. 4th DP slot seems like a stretch, but not out of the question with the rumblings around LA.

Yohan
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
When I look at JDG, I don't look at him as a player worth 1.9 mil per yr. I look at him as a player worth 350k cap hit per year and a DP spot.

and IMO JDG hasn't done enough to warrant another year as DP. Avg MLS DM and for what he brings to the table, you can find players who can do the same for 150k-200k per year. At 31, JDG will be slowly but surely start declining

Ajax TFC
06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
To me, I'd rather have Dunfield playing that JDG, and Dunfield is on tiny wages compared to JDG. Other comparable (and better) DM's like Alonso in the league are on a fraction of what JDG is making. It proves that you can get a decent DM without paying 2 million a season. So for that, I think JDG's days as a TFC player are numbered, and there is no way he would accept going from earing 2M a season to 200k.
He might since no other team would pay him more than 200k to play either. If he can find a team that's willing to pay him that, then good for him. But I have a feeling that it's either take TFC's contract offer of 200k, or don't make any money as a free agent.

mowe
06-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Shocked at the early results of this poll. Keeping him, at any price, is a huge mistake.

It may be that he can be an effective MLS player at those wage rates (I am not sure, seems to me they're not paying $200K for back passes and square balls from MFs anywhere in MLS, but I digress) .... but sadly, it can only be somewhere else.

I think there are almost no examples in sports of guys taking massive pay cuts and being productive for the same team. There is always too much baggage and history.

In this particular case, more than $5 million got flushed mostly down the toilet. He's been paid 10x what he is worth. The opportunity cost of that is just too painful to even think about. It's best to move on.

I can't agree more. I couldn't believe the results of this poll. Public opinion of JDG clearly fluctuates hugely.

People on this board are willing to keep JDG as one of the highest paid DM's in the league? After three years have we really not seen enough? There are still people buying in to the fact the he just needs better players around him? Colour me flabbergasted.

Let's take a look at the salaries of other top DM's in the league:

Osvaldo Alonso - $185k
Kyle Beckerman - $311k
Jeff Larentowicz - $206k

JDG is nowhere NEAR as good as any of these but people want pay him in that range? Hell Patrice Bernier has performed more for MTL already and he makes $150k. I want to know what JDG has accomplished in his time here that he'd be worth that much money. Like are there any facts and statistics that support keeping JDG at a huge salary? Just because he's not one of the worst players on our team doesn't mean we should break the bank to keep him in a salary cap league. Signing JDG was one of the worst moves this club has made. He's had ample opportunity to prove himself but it's clear by now that he needs to go.

CSN had a great article that highlighted the extremely poor MLS talent identification TFC has had. I'm starting to think the fans are becoming susceptible to this as well by highly overrating mediocre players on a shitty team.

__wowza
06-28-2012, 12:40 PM
200K-300K for a guy his age with his output? no thanks. there's guys that do much more for much less, younger ones at that!!

Gazza
06-28-2012, 12:44 PM
How much did Dan Gargan make here? Offer him that. Take it or leave it.

bones
06-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Where's the "screw both, offer DeRo DP money. Mariner would drool his effing head off with his long ball approach with him" option?

ryan
06-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Where's the "screw both, offer DeRo DP money. Mariner would drool his effing head off with his long ball approach with him" option?

I will consider that in my next poll. :D

Ageroo
06-28-2012, 06:48 PM
People who know me...know my opinion on JDG :) I want him to stay, but like most non DP....money wise I am not sure what to pay him....as in my opinion with him in our lineup with Frings and Nesta makes us a much better squad. One only needs to look at the collapse of the Houston and New England matches as to what happens in this system when he exits the game.

West220Side
06-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I voted for the do not resign option. Simply because in my opinion he was a rush of a signing, pressured by the fans who wanted a canadian designated player, and he was pushed. He's also the last MoJo Era player remaining (Frei? Cann?) that I would like to see moved. IMO he also took a fairly long time to adjust, and the only time he contributed very much was in the end of last season. I wouldn't complain having him for around $150,000, most definitely not more then $180,000 but I wouldn't complain if he was gone.

SirBobSaget
06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
JDG is 8 appearances away from being the TFC Most Appearances leader (passing Frei)

tiberius
06-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Robbo-level wages (up to $250k) is fair.

As far as I am concerned JDG owes us money - he has cost this club a lot in opportunities lost. But I am a reasonable guy... if he is willing to pay us $250k to play on our team - I say go for it!:)

We need to move on past De Guzman and find someone else who will be a strong player in this league. We know that dog don't hunt - why would we pay for him to pee on the carpet again?

Alonso
06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
I chose 100-200k. It's not that I don't think he's worth the next bracket but he got DP money he didn't deserve. Even it out a bit.

I really hope the altruistic nature of JDG comes out and he sees it this way to. He could really give the club and the fans a thank you for the boat loads of cash, now here's my return favour to help the team out and make it better.

Then...

I woke up.

Seriously, the guy is a good DM in this league, he's made 6 million dollars, maybe it's time to be altruistic.

brad
06-28-2012, 09:22 PM
It's all going to depend what his options are. If he can sign a contract overseas somewhere for more money, he will be gone. I can't see him wanting to stay at the gong show that is TFC. I can see a mid to lower table team in Germany or France willing to sign him.

denime
06-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Best offer he was getting 3 years ago before he signed with TFC was around 400K euro,now I can see him in the range of 200K considering that he is "foreign"player in Europe and competing for the spot with all those talented and cheap SA players that is more than enough for his age.

brad
06-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Best offer he was getting 3 years ago before he signed with TFC was around 400K euro,now I can see him in the range of 200K considering that he is "foreign"player in Europe and competing for the spot with all those talented and cheap SA players that is more than enough for his age.

Interesting. I could see him sticking around as a non-DP then.

Fort York Redcoat
06-29-2012, 07:01 AM
I really hope the altruistic nature of JDG comes out and he sees it this way to. He could really give the club and the fans a thank you for the boat loads of cash, now here's my return favour to help the team out and make it better.

Then...

I woke up.

Seriously, the guy is a good DM in this league, he's made 6 million dollars, maybe it's time to be altruistic.

As a professional he has to think of his future value so now that I think about this longer I can't see him taking the lowest bracket unless he intends to retire here. I haven't heard any word if he even wants to live here after his time with TFC. He's spent a lot of time elsewhere.

We won't have to wait long to find out. I'd love to hear more opinion from him on Canada and his brothers choices.

Chevy
06-29-2012, 07:58 AM

In the history of sport I don't think a player has agreed to 'even it out a bit'. LOL. That said, I would give him another two years @$325k.

Pookie
06-29-2012, 08:07 AM
If you understand the MLS Roster Rules and in particular the impact of the Canadian/US Domestic rule, re-signing JDG at a non-DP salary becomes an important roster building objective.

1. He is one of the best Canadian players which fullfills our require to have at least 3 Canucks. Between him and Morgan, 2 of the 3 required under Canadian quota rules are arguablly as strong as US options

2. A more reasonable, non-DP salary and designation would make him potentially more viable on the trade market. He would still count as an International slot for US based teams but there would potentially be more suitors given a lower salary and non-DP roster slot. This gives flexibility to our roster to make moves as they present

Technorgasm
06-29-2012, 08:10 AM
DTMFA (dump the motherfucker already)
and plop his massive salary into the lap of another. .

(or beg dero to come back lol)

Pookie
06-29-2012, 08:20 AM
duplicate

Blizzard
06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
If you understand the MLS Roster Rules and in particular the impact of the Canadian/US Domestic rule, re-signing JDG at a non-DP salary becomes an important roster building objective.

1. He is one of the best Canadian players which fullfills our require to have at least 3 Canucks. Between him and Morgan, 2 of the 3 required under Canadian quota rules are arguablly as strong as US options

2. A more reasonable, non-DP salary and designation would make him potentially more viable on the trade market. He would still count as an International slot for US based teams but there would potentially be more suitors given a lower salary and non-DP roster slot. This gives flexibility to our roster to make moves as they present

Agreed on both although, if I'm JDG, I would leverage a no trade clause in exchange for the lower salary.

Pookie
06-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Agreed on both although, if I'm JDG, I would leverage a no trade clause in exchange for the lower salary.

Not sure they have NTCs in MLS given that the contract is actually held by the league.

?

joeyjones
06-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Not sure they have NTCs in MLS given that the contract is actually held by the league.

?

there is for at least the DP's, otherwise they wouldn't have had the expansion draft rule that you had to protect a DP if they had a no-trade clause..

Villa TFC
06-29-2012, 12:41 PM
In my opinion, in 61 games for Toronto FC I would say we've had at most a dozen notable performances from JDG. You can blame coaches, styles, formations, teammates, opponents or socks, but good players shine regardless of any of those things. JDG's record in Spain suggests that he has the talent to excel for us and in the MLS in general, yet we've rarely seen it. Therefore, despite the lovely guy many of us have met off the pitch, I can only assume that it's down to attitude. When he lifts his game - as he has done in a few CCL matches - he's a pleasure to have wearing the shirt, but if it's attitude, then his conduct is inexcusable. Yes, he's been better this season, but I have seen nothing to suggest that JDG will play consistently well for us whether as a DP or on $200k. JDG at his best is a steal even at $300k, but the almost invisible, short-passing to exposed defender, wide-shooting, niggling-fouling JDG that I see far more often is over-priced at even $150k.

Cashcleaner
06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm pretty much ready to give up on JDG altogether. With proper scouting, we might be able to pick up one or two younger players who could do just as well a job.

Pookie
06-29-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm pretty much ready to give up on JDG altogether. With proper scouting, we might be able to pick up one or two younger players who could do just as well a job.

^ Canadians though?

Our Canucks on the roster are:

Cann
Cordon
De Guzman
Dunfield
Henry
Lindsay
Makubuya
Morgan
Roberts
Stinson

MLS rules say a minimum of 3 Hosers on your Canadian based team.

In theory, they should be the best available which would put (considering injuries) Morgan, Henry, JDG in that group. As much as I like Cann, his repeated injuries make him a depth player at best. This gives max flexibility when it comes to depth/starters and the potential to trade them if the opportunity/need is there. Better players are more likely to go to US teams as they take an International spot.

Unless they can swing a trade for other top notch MLS Canadians such as Johnson, Jakovic, Hainault, or Bunbury they will be competing with MTL and VAN for any unidentified player with a Canadian passport. Are there any up and coming, unsigned, can't miss Canadians out there?

If not, JDG becomes a key figure in satisfying MLS roster rules and giving flexibility to the club for the future.

The other option is to use your 3 Canuck rule on your bottom roster slots and go with the best available Domestic (meaning US) player for every position. We don't have the scouting infrastructure to do that successfully.

Canary10
06-29-2012, 02:57 PM
^ Canadians though?

Cann
Cordon
De Guzman
Dunfield
Henry
Lindsay
Makubuya
Morgan
Roberts
Stinson

In theory, they should be the best available which would put (considering injuries) Morgan, Henry, JDG in that group. As much as I like Cann, his repeated injuries make him a depth player at best. This gives max flexibility when it comes to depth/starters and the potential to trade them if the opportunity/need is there. Better players are more likely to go to US teams as they take an International spot.

Unless they can swing a trade for other top notch MLS Canadians such as Johnson, Jakovic, Hainault, or Bunbury they will be competing with MTL and VAN for any unidentified player with a Canadian passport. Are there any up and coming, unsigned, can't miss Canadians out there?

If not, JDG becomes a key figure in satisfying MLS roster rules and giving flexibility to the club for the future.

The other option is to use your 3 Canuck rule on your bottom roster slots and go with the best available Domestic (meaning US) player for every position. We don't have the scouting infrastructure to do that successfully.

Isn't Bunbury retired now?

Fort York Redcoat
06-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Isn't Bunbury retired now?

Bunbury IS retired. His son is American and can piss right off.

Pook other than Jako we won't see any Canadians coming from other teams. They know what's here. Maybe a Jazic if he's bored of playing there but I doubt it. Hainault loves Houston but would end in Montreal. Johnson may retire here but doesn't feel Torontonian as much as Chicagoan(sp).

Blizzard
06-29-2012, 07:47 PM
^ Canadians though?

Cann
Cordon
De Guzman
Dunfield
Henry
Lindsay
Makubuya
Morgan
Roberts
Stinson

Some space fillers there and that needs to be recognized. Cordon, Makubuya, Roberts and Lindsay could all disappear by the start of next season and who knows how long Cann, Julian, or Terry will be here. The sands of MLS never stop shifting.

Pookie
06-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Bunbury IS retired. His son is American and can piss right off.

Pook other than Jako we won't see any Canadians coming from other teams. They know what's here. Maybe a Jazic if he's bored of playing there but I doubt it. Hainault loves Houston but would end in Montreal. Johnson may retire here but doesn't feel Torontonian as much as Chicagoan(sp).

So then if you want the CDN Roster spot to be a flexible, serviceable and tradable asset, signing JDG to a non DP contract becomes a priority.

Otherwise, we use that quota on filler and bring in better North American talent. But that strategy relies on having deep scouting network to identify players that haven't been signed, or that other teams are willing to part with. Considering our trade limitations (see Canadians taking International Roster spot), this route seems extremely challenging. You could swap an RJ for someone but I'm not sure that gets you ahead.

deacon
06-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Sam Cronin makes $120K, is in last year of contract with SJE. He's 25, has played well since we let him go, and has the right mindset to help our team. Offer him a nice raise, lock him up for 4 years, much better option than JDG.

tiberius
06-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Sam Cronin makes $120K, is in last year of contract with SJE. He's 25, has played well since we let him go, and has the right mindset to help our team. Offer him a nice raise, lock him up for 4 years, much better option than JDG.

I would love to have him back - his trade changed our midfield future and was a key part of how we ended up where we are today...

That being said, I think maybe Sam has an inkling of how bad it is in Toronto, given we traded him away for a bag of soccer balls... I think Mr. Cronin would laugh at any attempt by TFC to get him back, regardless of the salary - you know what they say... never work for a jerk!

I suppose we can dream tho....:canada:

Fort York Redcoat
06-30-2012, 12:23 PM
So then if you want the CDN Roster spot to be a flexible, serviceable and tradable asset, signing JDG to a non DP contract becomes a priority.

Otherwise, we use that quota on filler and bring in better North American talent. But that strategy relies on having deep scouting network to identify players that haven't been signed, or that other teams are willing to part with. Considering our trade limitations (see Canadians taking International Roster spot), this route seems extremely challenging. You could swap an RJ for someone but I'm not sure that gets you ahead.

Pook I think we agree on wanting the best Canadians for an honest wage. JDG, and to a lesser extent Cann and Nana were quickly overvalued because of our patriotic needs but I'm confident the mistakes we've made has created enough of a backlash that a sensible comprimise in Canadian talent will get us to where we want to be:

The best players coming up want to play local before they get the big paycheque and players want to make consessions to end their careers here (not in a DeRo way obviously).

You're focus on youth and Canadian spots we also agree on to an extent. The team needs to equalize to a point where our kids that don't have to be here Canadian spot-wise DESERVE the playing time. I have no problem with the kids getting their experience as long as it's not a starting role they are not ready for yet.

*** I want to see a pipeline of players graduating to a TFC Academy from all over our large region of Ontario but for this to happen we have to weather the development of the Academy- The sctructure AND the coaching talent level***

This won't happen over night but should be mentioned as much as possible that the MLS name is not sufficient to produce 3-5 new roster spots for promotion every year to the senior squad.

mowe
06-30-2012, 01:15 PM

The Canadian quota is a joke and has no effect on roster building for us, we can thank Vancouver for that.

Morgan, Henry, Roberts. Those are our three Canadians and they're not going anywhere.

Just look at the pathetic Canadian content on Montreal and Vancouver and you can see what importance they put on getting Canadians.

Deciding whether to retain JDG will depend solely on his play and salary.

Pookie
06-30-2012, 03:33 PM
The Canadian quota is a joke and has no effect on roster building for us, we can thank Vancouver for that.

explain...

Greatest Ripoff
06-30-2012, 04:46 PM
explain...

Vancouver lobbied the CSA to removed the Canadian quota and they were able to compromise on 3 spots. It's too bad one of Vancouver spots gets filled by someone who isn't even Canadian.

Pookie
06-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Vancouver lobbied the CSA to removed the Canadian quota and they were able to compromise on 3 spots. It's too bad one of Vancouver spots gets filled by someone who isn't even Canadian.

Actually, we lobbied with them and the original goal was (and MLS agreed) to lower it to 0. This was based on the belief that the CDN talent pool wasn't deep enough to allow CDN teams to be competitive.

CSA stepped in, perhaps aided by the fact that former CSA employee, Earl Cochrane, took over from Mo, and they raised it back to 3. Which seems curious considering we then signed 9 in the year following. You'd think that if you felt that you had 9 MLS capable players waiting in the wings that you wouldn't be interested in lowering the quota to benefit a rival. Seems like we did Vancouver one hell of a favour... either that or we witnessed yet another example of mis-management, in-fighting and differing visions once again.

From cbc.ca http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/01/28/sp-mls-canada.html

Last year, officials from both TFC and the Whitecaps made public statements about the Canadian quota being eliminated. MLS commissioner Don Garber then revealed he was involved in talks with the Canadian Soccer Association, the sport's governing body in Canada, about making changes to the league's Canadian quota.
The reduction of the quota from eight to three players appears to be a compromise between MLS and the CSA.
Opponents of the quota have said the Canadian player pool isn't deep enough to sustain it, especially with two more teams from Canada on the way. MLS maintained it was trying to balance that with the concerns of the CSA, which wants to provide as many opportunities as it can for Canadian players.

Cristiano14
07-01-2012, 08:59 PM
JDG is absolutely terrible, I would pay him to leave
He never marks his men and his passing is sub par
we could pick up any MLS level midfielder for far less who would likely do far more

ag futbol
07-02-2012, 11:29 AM

Morgan, Henry, Roberts. Those are our three Canadians and they're not going anywhere.

Just look at the pathetic Canadian content on Montreal and Vancouver and you can see what importance they put on getting Canadians.

Deciding whether to retain JDG will depend solely on his play and salary.
Agreed, although from what I was reading during CSA elections, the association might actually grow a pair of balls for once and force the clubs to put a few extra Canadians on the roster.

maninb
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM

What????? You'd make him the HIGHEST PAID DM in the league....Seriously??? I hope that was a joke!!! LOL!

Oldtimer
07-03-2012, 03:05 PM
What????? You'd make him the HIGHEST PAID DM in the league....Seriously??? I hope that was a joke!!! LOL!

I'm not sure why you find that funny... 1/2 off those polled think he should be paid in the $200k-$300k range. I'm not thinking that he should be paid $300k... but it means backbeat's opinion is hardly unusual...

Super
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't find JDG is enough of a difference-maker to deserve more than $200k.

T-boy
07-03-2012, 03:17 PM

I'm sure at 2million a season he's already the highest paid DM in the league!

I'm assuming somebody was confusing the post with Dunfield, and not JDG at 300k a season?

brad
07-03-2012, 06:25 PM
He might be looking for higher pay cheque to fix his Lamborghini :-)

http://instagram.com/p/MooAnKifmz/

Richard
07-03-2012, 06:27 PM
In all honesty i think JDG should play in Mexico next year, he plays so much better when facing Mexican teams. I think his value there is a lot higher than in the MLS, he cant seem to find a good groove in this league but every time we face Mexican opposition he is amazing and i dont think that is a coincidence.

Ajax TFC
07-03-2012, 06:31 PM
In all honesty i think JDG should play in Mexico next year, he plays so much better when facing Mexican teams. I think his value there is a lot higher than in the MLS, he cant seem to find a good groove in this league but every time we face Mexican opposition he is amazing and i dont think that is a coincidence.
Same with Plata. Thers's something about the way latin teams play that allows some players to do well against them but not against American teams

Walms
07-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Keep him if it's gonna cost us under 250'000. I think people opinion of him will improve once he's not making 7 figurs a year. He is still a great player and on of the best midfielders to ever wear our crest!

Auzzy
07-03-2012, 07:00 PM
He might be looking for higher pay cheque to fix his Lamborghini :-)

http://instagram.com/p/MooAnKifmz/

That's hilarious. From when is that picture?

ryan
07-03-2012, 07:16 PM

I didn't even think of that, I bet he could pull a decent wage playing down there post TFC

brad
07-03-2012, 07:22 PM

Comments were from today - so I'm guessing recent.

Juanito
07-04-2012, 10:10 PM
De Guzmán, in my opinion, has been a fiasco and a half.

He came with a lot of hype, and he just isn't that good. Remove his salary from the conversation, it isn't my money. What is my concern is that that DP spot could be used for someone who can make a real difference.

Keeping him as a non-DP would be a bad idea because he will hold a grudge against us, I would if I were him. My salary gets slashed to 20% of what it was, yeah .... I'd be pretty cheesed.

Keeping him as a DP just isn't an option .... I'd like to think we can do better.

Best thing for both parties is to allow him to test the free agent market.

69Chevy396
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM

He came with a lot of hype, and he just isn't that good. Remove his salary from the conversation, it isn't my money. What is my concern is that that DP spot could be used for someone who can make a real difference.

Keeping him as a non-DP would be a bad idea because he will hold a grudge against us, I would if I were him. My salary gets slashed to 20% of what it was, yeah .... I'd be pretty cheesed.

Keeping him as a DP just isn't an option .... I'd like to think we can do better.

He is not only the highest paid DM in the league, he is the highest paid SUB in the league and quite possiblly the worst signing in the history of the club. The money he earned these past few years could have been better spent upgrading the depth on this team. Now that the club is playing better, when all the pressure of making the playoffs are realistically over, this bum still sits on the bench to start most games. He should be dropped from the team, mlse can easily afford to buy him out.

Kyle_121
07-05-2012, 08:39 PM
[X] Petition him to pay back the money he stole from you guys

DoubleUp
07-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Thats because julian style of play is indirect which is anti-mls(direct) football. And one of the other reason a less technical but more direct dunfield has taking his spot in the team.

central/south america is his best bet if he doesnt drastically reduce his wages with us.

123 elite
07-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Can't we just replace him with a space hopper? I'm sure we would get a similar performance at a fraction of the price. The team could just kick the ball off it and try and figure out which way it will bounce which isnt much different than we have now. Space hopper would probably not jump out of the way at free kicks either. But then again a space hopper can't shoot. Oh.... right.

Stiggy
07-06-2012, 12:58 AM
The picture is from One Restaurant at Yorkville.

Pookie
07-06-2012, 06:21 AM

But here's the thing guys. We all tend to think that MLS' cap is just like the NHL or other leagues. A set of rules that are followed.

However, it is more than possible for JDG to be resigned to a salary of over $500k, have a cap hit of just $335k and have a non DP status.

DeRo resigned for $700k (approx), counts $335 against DC's cap and is not a DP. There are more exceptions across the league.

When the league makes allocation money available for "circumstances as deemed appropriate by the competition committee" (their words not mine) and the competition committee IS the league and they never disclose the amounts given.... Anything is possible.

SiguenzaFC
07-10-2012, 06:25 AM
To be fair to JDG, the team was put on his shoulders and it was unrealistic for us to expect him to lift the team by himself and here is why:

At Deportivo, he was the DM who would play simple passes and run his arse off in the field to get the ball back for the more offensive players to start the attack.

He was expected to play as a box to box midfielder, a jack of all trades, like Kyle Beckerman, who is a the best CM in the league IMHO.

Now that we have Frings, who is a more technically gifted passer, JDG is on the bench.

He has lost the pace that made him useful at Deportivo and looks second best in most challenges, if we re-sign him its because he will be a utility bench player who can mentor the next crop of players, and can eventually have a coaching role at the academy. Im not of the opinion of discarding old players, specially those loyal to the club and the city.

Shakes McQueen
07-10-2012, 06:42 AM
I'd take him if he re-signed between $100k-200k, but other than that I'd let him walk. He occasionally shows flashes of what we hoped he'd be, but is otherwise wildly inconsistent, and we need better than that from an MLS player making over $200k (let alone from an MLS designated player making nearly $2 million dollars).

I was happy when we signed him, and held out the hope that he would eventually get it together. But I also don't think there's any question he has failed.

- Scott

Technorgasm
07-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Jonathan = playing for SWANSEA in the EPL.
Julian = GONE BY THE END OF THE WEEK. confirmed.

Technorgasm
07-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Swans seal De Guzman loan (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7887826/)Swansea have signed Jonathan de Guzman on a season-long loan from Villarreal to follow up the capture of Jose Manuel Flores.

TOBOR !
07-10-2012, 01:34 PM

LOL - who talks like that ?

Picture taken by Eric Avila - gold.

I hope the driver of the other car took the opportunity to rake JDG over the coals about what a complete waste of money he's been since turning up on our doorstep.

T-boy
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Confirmed by whom*?

(*to carry on the shakespearian style vocab!).

Technorgasm
07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Confirmed by whom*?

(*to carry on the shakespearian style vocab!).

Confirmed by His Brother, he just called me to break the news. he will probably play tomorrow, but. . . . .

T-boy
07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Confirmed by His Brother, he just called me to break the news. he will probably play tomorrow, but. . . . .

I'll wait on official news about that....

brad
07-10-2012, 05:08 PM

Interesting. From 6 hours ago:

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) JDG says he has recently started prelim talks with ‪#TFC‬ (https://twitter.com/search/%23TFC) over new contract. Days his preference is to stay.

Richard
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Interesting. From 6 hours ago:

John Molinaro‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) JDG says he has recently started prelim talks with ‪#TFC‬ (https://twitter.com/search/%23TFC) over new contract. Days his preference is to stay.

Lol of course he wants to stay. Maybe he thinks this regime is still as dumb as Mo, who knows maybe they will give him another million per year.

Fort York Redcoat
07-11-2012, 09:18 AM
So he says he wants to stay. At what price is the question? We'll see how serious he was by end of week. He sees how different his bargaining situation is since he signed.

Ugh. Now I might see JDG2 play in the prem? Blast..

woolly
07-11-2012, 02:45 PM
While I think that JDG can provide much more to the team if he ever decides to play to his potential rather than mailing it in, it might be interesting to figure out how he rates compared to some of the other DM's weve had over the years;

Frings>Robbo>Cronin(now)>JDG>Sanyang

So on a sliding scale, I would re-sign him for what San Jose is paying Cronin.

sampace
07-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Quite frankly DeGuzman should not be faulted for taking a good contract to come back home. The DP designation in MLS is not working, we are getting washed up players on the way out of soccer coming here to play. In my opinion is Frings worth the 2.3 Million we are paying him, we could have Dwayne DeRosario back as an attacking mid fielder and he would do more, and not pay him as much (perhaps)? Amada Guevara was a steal of a player for us, there are good ML soccer players we should trade for who are as effective. The only DP I like is Kovermans, a young player with talent to grow. That is who we should be targeting DP positions for.

RedRum
07-14-2012, 12:41 AM
I will never shit on the Dunfields, Gargans, Harmse's, Garcias or Lomabardos. I may have issue with management over their signing/development, but I don't question them giving it their all .

This is about players who think they can come here and disrespect the badge of the team I support by not giving to the best of their ability. JDG himself agreed with me outside gate 4 a game that his effort and play was lacking.

Julian. I was genuinely excited to have you here when you signed, despite many others arguing that you were a wasted DP slot. Mid table club Spanish La Liga player of the year. Came here still in what should have been your prime. I watched you fight tenaciously for every 50/50 ball for Canada and I always admired and respected you. Signed with TFC and since day 1 it just seemed like you didn't give a fuck. About your fitness, victory (any 10 year old knows you dont jump out of the wall), and responsibilities wearing the armband as captain, both on and off the pitch (curfew violations etc).

Don't rate him much higher than the Cunningham's, Roberts, Ruiz's. Honestly less so considering his wage.

Anselmi himself admitted in private long ago that his signing was a mistake... 'nuff said.

RedRum
07-14-2012, 12:51 AM
To be fair to JDG, the team was put on his shoulders and it was unrealistic for us to expect him to lift the team by himself and here is why:

At Deportivo, he was the DM who would play simple passes and run his arse off in the field to get the ball back for the more offensive players to start the attack.

He was expected to play as a box to box midfielder, a jack of all trades, like Kyle Beckerman, who is a the best CM in the league IMHO.

Now that we have Frings, who is a more technically gifted passer, JDG is on the bench.

He has lost the pace that made him useful at Deportivo and looks second best in most challenges, if we re-sign him its because he will be a utility bench player who can mentor the next crop of players, and can eventually have a coaching role at the academy. Im not of the opinion of discarding old players, specially those loyal to the club and the city.

First half of your post I agree with. The latter, no way. He is a mercenary who didn't earn his pay by a longshot. Mentor to younger players? What advice would he give? Play your ass off for a few years, go to Europe. Come home and cash a cheque?