PDA

View Full Version : Update: Nesta Expected to sign with TFC, signs for Montreal instead

Pages : [1] 2

Dkolish3
06-28-2012, 12:13 AM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?3400-Nesta-expected-to-sign-with-Toronto-FC

flatpicker
06-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Well, he ain't no spring chicken.
And he's had some injuries.
But if he's in good shape, and willing to play,
He has to be a step up from what we've got.

ManUtd4ever
06-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Wow. According to the article, there are several MLS sources that have inidcated that the deal is imminent, and it is structured to graduate to a DP level contract in 2013 .

Even at 35, Nesta could provide quality and leadership on the backline.

Alonso
06-28-2012, 12:55 AM
It certainly couldn't hurt

ArmenJBX
06-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Damn.

Hoping to break this one. Nesta's signing is almost done, from what I've heard.

Brooker
06-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Oh my.

Ageroo
06-28-2012, 04:45 AM
ll, well, well......cue Little Italy to come out in droves.....:) I like this move....older, but he does offer some much needed leadership at the back. With the league play pretty much a write off...barring a miracle...hopefully he can help us in CCL play. Maybe we can get that elusive away win at Santos. I can dream can't I.

London
06-28-2012, 06:20 AM
anyone notice how much ferrari was missed by limpact last night??

well nesta is 5 times better than ferrarri, i certainly hope this is true as Nesta still has a few seasons left in him

ryan
06-28-2012, 06:41 AM
anyone notice how much ferrari was missed by limpact last night??

well nesta is 5 times better than ferrarri, i certainly hope this is true as Nesta still has a few seasons left in him

At 36 with injuries in recent years, I think a "few years" is very hopeful thinking.

Abou Sky
06-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Would be nice to get Thiago Silva instead but still a big boost (I hope)

TOBOR !
06-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Sorry man - that links to an article by Duane Rollins - have you got anything else to read ?

Oldtimer
06-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Big news. Props to Cochrane/Mariner if this one goes through. This is the kind of signing TFC has needed since 2007.

Interesting though, 4 days ago he had no offers:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1114235/alessandro-nesta:-i-haven't-received-any-mls-offers?campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5901

Watch Nesta close down Messi!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ik2G9TemM

Here's a collection from not too many years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU60FMH9aBY

Obviously this would mean that we would lose a DP. Any bets as to which one? ;)

Phil
06-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Interesting tid bit from that was the structure of the contract would be one that allows him to sign as a regular player and graduate to a DP later.

WOW

Nuvinho
06-28-2012, 07:48 AM
^ can we do the same deal for Seedof ;)

London
06-28-2012, 07:58 AM
At 36 with injuries in recent years, I think a "few years" is very hopeful thinking.

this season and the next is a few LOL

i am a milan supporter and i know that this man can still play, he has recovered fully from the back injury and had found his form this season, sure he isnt the fastest , but he never was, he has always been more about positional play, which is exactly what TFC is lacking

mastermixer
06-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Interesting tid bit from that was the structure of the contract would be one that allows him to sign as a regular player and graduate to a DP later.

WOW
The article says they would make him a DP next year, after we are of the hook for JDG's DP contract. Or... if JDG signs back as a non-DP.

ryan
06-28-2012, 08:19 AM

i am a milan supporter and i know that this man can still play, he has recovered fully from the back injury and had found his form this season, sure he isnt the fastest , but he never was, he has always been more about positional play, which is exactly what TFC is lacking

A few is more than 2. :)

London
06-28-2012, 08:24 AM
^^^ its also "not as many as expected" LOL, but you are correct

thank you grammar police

if he only plays a season and a half, i am fine with that, he is an older player

Suds
06-28-2012, 08:28 AM

Good fundamentals and good positioning can often negate an opposing player who is quick.

We've never had this kind or level of experience on our back line. Odds are good that he would make us better.

DaBandit
06-28-2012, 08:31 AM
For this to happen do we not have to move someone out? Can we release anybody now that the transfer window is open? I'm also assuming that to get Nesta we would have to free up an international spot?

SweetOwnGoal
06-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Sorry man - that links to an article by Duane Rollins - have you got anything else to read ?

Just terrible of me to stay up late last night confirming this info so you could read it for free today. Awful. I'm a bad, bad person.

When I've actually reported breaking stuff -- in the FOUR YEARS I'VE BEEN DOING THIS -- I've been wrong once. When the CSA gave me bad info on World Cup spots for CONCACAF.

We've been chasing this for days. FOR YOUR BENEFIT. You're welcome.

I'm sorry, but I'm getting damn sick of internet warriors that like to make personal attacks over...what? A Tweet I made more than a year ago. That no one important in RPB really cares about anymore. That I apologized for. That I admitted I made in haste and without full knowledge.

Maybe it's time to move on, no?

Or, if you still have a problem, I'm in 113 EVERY GAME. Grow a pair and tell me to me face why you have such a problem. I'm the fat, ugly one with the beard.

But, to answer your question, no. There isn't another link because we reported it first. Again, you're welcome.

All for one!
Duane

Oldtimer
06-28-2012, 08:37 AM

WOW

MLS throwing us a bone to help us out with their "flexible" cap arrangements... something they usually only do for teams called LA or NY.
I guess they don't want the entire fanbase to go down the drain.

Oldtimer
06-28-2012, 08:42 AM

Maybe a simple and public apology on this board would have helped your cause, rather than telling people to "grow a pair."

Some people here have long memories, just ask Cathall Kelly, or the Columbus media.

The door is always open, Duane. If you are gracious, I'm sure most people here will respond. I know I want all of us to work together.

ALL FOR ONE

ryan
06-28-2012, 08:47 AM
this signing does make it a bit harder to jab at montreal for being an Italian old age home.

Phil
06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Duane actually wrote a nice piece defending the RPB during that whole Twitter thing.

He is a supporter just like the rest of us, and everyone makes mistakes. He made one last year and paid the price. I think its time to let the hard feelings be gone and look to some of insight.

Huyton
06-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Great news...thanks, Duane. I, and I don't think I'm alone in this, really appreciate the hard work and diligence.

And since Armen says he was hoping to break this one, it would seem as if there is confirmation, too.

A back line of Eckersley, Cann, Nesta and Morgan sounds, to me, like a great mix of experience and youth, with the leadership that Mariner wants.

A spine of Kocic, Nesta, Frings and Koevermans looks good, too.

Any idea when this will be done?

TOBOR !
06-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Just terrible of me to stay up late last night confirming this info so you could read it for free today. Awful. I'm a bad, bad person.

When I've actually reported breaking stuff -- in the FOUR YEARS I'VE BEEN DOING THIS -- I've been wrong once. When the CSA gave me bad info on World Cup spots for CONCACAF.

I'm sorry, but I'm getting damn sick of internet warriors that like to make personal attacks over...what? A Tweet I made more than a year ago. That no one important in RPB really cares about anymore. That I apologized for. That I admitted I made in haste and without full knowledge.

Or, if you still have a problem, I'm in 113 EVERY GAME. Grow a pair and tell me to me face why you have such a problem. I'm the fat, ugly one with the beard.

But, to answer your question, no. There isn't another link because we reported it first. Again, you're welcome.

All for one!
Duane

Hey Duane,

Usually I'd PM a reply as it's off-topic, but I think it's appropriate to post this in the thread (to you, but publicly).

My comment isn't a personal attack, and I'm not being funny, but I'm surprised that you seem so sensitive. I would have imagined that folk in the journalism business would have pretty thick skin - take the accolades along with the criticisms - that kind of thing.

I can't exactly remember why I stopped reading your stuff. It was a while back and may have had something to do with content or overall tone, or maybe I just didn't like your style.

Whatever the reason, I haven't rated your material worth reading, but maybe you're right and it's time to move on.

Let's see how this Nesta thing plays out. Hopefully I end up eating crow (as long as there's HP Sauce handy it won't be so bad).

I'm not sure when I'll be at BMO next, but I'll definitely look you up. I'm the shiny, handsome one with the clear complexion.

- Andy

PS - keep doing what you do, and don't be put off by occasional negativity - life's too short.

BHTC Mike
06-28-2012, 09:44 AM
if he only plays a season and a half, i am fine with that, he is an older player

That's the best case scenario IMHO. If he stays healthy and we make the playoffs next year, particularly if we go deep, before he rides off into the sunset I'll donate to a statue outside Gate 3.

Not 100% convinced this is the best move compared to finding a great 28-30 year old in South America, Central America, or Africa - think Bernardez in San Jose style - who we could sign for under $200K and build around but I can't lie and say I'm not sorta starstruck. As a marketing move this is gold for season ticket renewals in the Toronto market. Especially with the Italians doing well at this summer's Euros.

bertal
06-28-2012, 09:44 AM
not sure what to think

jrober38
06-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Not a huge fan of this.

I thought the defense looked solid last night, and has actually played relatively well under Mariner. There have obviously been some late collapses, but I think that can be attributed to inexperience more than anything else. I think that letting our current crop of defenders take their lumps this season, which is a lost cause anyways, would be best for the team in the long run because the goal would be to get one of our young defenders to step up into a leadership role as a player we can build a back line around for the next 5+ years.

Wooster_TFC
06-28-2012, 09:58 AM
That's the best case scenario IMHO. If he stays healthy and we make the playoffs next year, particularly if we go deep, before he rides off into the sunset I'll donate to a statue outside Gate 3.

Not 100% convinced this is the best move compared to finding a great 28-30 year old in South America, Central America, or Africa - think Bernardez in San Jose style - who we could sign for under $200K and build around but I can't lie and say I'm not sorta starstruck. As a marketing move this is gold for season ticket renewals in the Toronto market. Especially with the Italians doing well at this summer's Euros.

Caicedo
Aceval

'nuff said.

ag futbol
06-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Agreed, that's what I wrote in the other thread as well. Three DP salaries just does not leave a MLS team much flexibility and if you're able to find that younger guy... he could be on your backline for a long time, which is invaluable to the club.

That being said, as long as Nesta is durable and the contract isn't too long, it'd probably be a great short-term move.

Caicedo
Aceval

'nuff said.
Those are just our failures, other teams have done much better in the same market.

Detroit_TFC
06-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Even a season or two, Nesta working with our youngsters could be very valuable in their development. I vote YEA. According to some reports, Galliani wanted to keep him for 12-13, so he must think Nesta's got a bit more in the tank still.

sully
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Not a huge fan of this.

I thought the defense looked solid last night,

maybe their motivation for playing well was seeing Nesta coming to take their job

Couchy81
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Even if the defense looked solid last night, it hasn't looked solid consistently for 2 years now. This is a positive move, we need some new blood on the back line.

BHTC Mike
06-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Caicedo
Aceval

'nuff said.

Those are just our failures, other teams have done much better in the same market.

Exactly. Baby and the bath water.

Caicedo and Aceval were terrible signings that we probably got through the league and didn't actually scout first hand.

I'd really, really love to know what happened there. I've got no sources at TFC and only go off what I read but here's a completely speculative theory: some people like to blame Mariner for every bad signing because, officially, he was supposed to be in charge of talent identification. They hear stories about him and Winter fighting over players and assume that he was blocking Winter from getting the players he wanted. Here's the thing: as far as I can tell TFC was Winter's team and Mariner was subordinate to him. There exact line was "Aron Winter will be in charge of the overall direction of the club" IIRC. There might have had to be some agreement to okay a big signing and I'm sure Mariner had input (judging by guys like Eckersley and Lambe being on the team) but, for me, the most likely case is that Winter had the final call and Mariner was primarily there to add advice, expertise, and contacts inside the league. Winter was the one who was the face of the organization and he was the one who got axed. It's just as likely that the fights were over Winter's decision to sign guys that Mariner didn't feel were suited to the league; not being there we can't know.

Again, this is speculation but Caicedo and Aceval feel like they have the hallmarks of why Winter was unsuited to managing in the league. All last year I read about how TFC needed a ball playing centre back who could pass out of the back and initiate the attack if Winter's system was going to be successful. That sort of player is not available in MLS; not for what we could offer anyways. Joke about Iro all you want but when you're trading in MLS that's the sort of player you're going to be offered. Houston isn't giving up Geoff Cameron for Tony Tchani; NY gave us Borman not Tim Ream for DeRo. Borchers and Olave aren't even great passers but Jason Kreis isn't going to break them apart in exchange for Nick LaBrocca (even after his All-Star nod!).

Winter came in last year with little time to prepare for the season and build the sort of roster he wanted; that's not his fault. He was probably told by the interim management team that the one stable bit of 2010's team had been the centre back pairing of Cann and Nana and that he should look to strengthen elsewhere first. Of course, no one thought we'd try to force such as suicidal a style as Winter tried to play in the first half of 2010 with passers like Cann and Nana - and let's not even get into Cann at LB in Vancouver - and that was before even dealing with Cann's contract (then injury) and Nana's drop in form and contract. Now, keep in mind that Winter blew all our discovery signings BEFORE the summer on guys like Martina, Bouchiba, Yourassowksy, and Soolsma. By some accounts the DPs were already lined up before their announcement. So getting a CB from outside the league was off the cards last summer.

Remember Winter's "now I start making trades" rant after the Houston game? Where was that in relation to Iro? Again, make fun of Iro all you want but even if that was the best Mariner could find that's what you get inside MLS! Maybe we could have got Julius James or an even older Tyrone Marshall back instead! Who knows who made the final decision on that deal? I'd love to have Tchani back to play with Frings instead of Dunfield*.

So, we go into the off season ahead of this year. Cann's still out, Dicoy's still out, Iro's been a disaster, and we got a reasonable return on Nana, but, regardless, none of them really fit the bill as a passing centre back anyways. Ty Harden might be getting started by default but there are some indications that Winter might rate him based on how consistently he picks him. But the big emphasis is on finding a ball playing centre back from outside the league. But we've got to do it on a budget because we've got 3 DPs on the roster and it's been decided that resigning Eckersley and Plata is important.

So Caicedo and Aceval were the best anyone could come up with. They very well may have been the best that were available who were out of contract, willing to come to MLS, fit inside our budget, and met the criteria of being decent passers who were comfortable with the ball at their feet. Once you start stating all the conditions that had to be met you start to see why we ended up with them.

Again, I'd love to know who made the final call on their signings. Winter wanted passing centre backs. He called Aceval "the final piece" of his team for 2012. He showed a tendency to underestimate the physical demands of the league (and the ability of technical ability to compensate), underestimate the quality necessary from foreign signings, and overestimate their ability to adapt to play in MLS. I can't help but think that, even if he didn't find them (<-and that's the key thing), Winter was the one who ultimately decided to sign both of them.

Where Mariner stood on that decision is a mystery and until I know definitively I'm not going to blame him. Mariner needs to be judged on the players he brings into the club this summer and the results that gets now that he's in control. Maybe he'll be just as bad but it only started being his team three weeks ago. Ultimately, anything before that is on Winter.

*Who Mariner really does seem to value. He keeps mentioning Terry in his post games and singles him out for his contributions. That will not make some people happy!

FreekAce
06-28-2012, 11:52 AM

All for one!
Duane

a lovely beard it is.

Yohan
06-28-2012, 12:27 PM
For the record, ive been calling for a dp cb since yr 2;)

FreekAce
06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
For the record, ive been calling for a dp cb since yr 2;)

you and everybody else ;)

Cashcleaner
06-28-2012, 01:01 PM
The problem I see here with many arguments is that people are looking back at his past accomplishments (which are quite extensive, of course) and overlooking the current situation. Remember, this guy has had his share of back problems over the years that continue to crop up and I doubt we'll see him perform here in a more physical league just like he did in Italy.

That said, I am willing to take a short term chance with him because the amount of experience he has to offer our backline could be invaluable. Let's see how a season works out with him. I think he could really anchor the D and maybe whip the others into shape, but let's be realistic about his age what that tends to entail.

PopePouri
06-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm not fussy with whatever DP CB we sign. It could have been Wayne Bridge for all I cared. We just need help.

ManUtd4ever
06-28-2012, 01:16 PM
If Nesta performs at a level that is even remotely close to his days with AC Milan, he will still represent a substantial upgrade on our current backline, and he will likely be the best CB in the history of the franchise.

Canary10
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
My first reaction is it's a good signing if it happens. Our defense is young across the board. Having a steady hand with that level of experience can only help in the short term, and help the young guys develop in the long term.

On the other hand, there are a few obvious points to make. One, this clearly leaves JDG in no man's land. How will he react to that? He may (probably) does know already he's not renewing a DP contract for next year. Maybe being out of contract will be enough to get him to perform the rest of the year? Hard to know.

Other point is this saddles us with another large DP contract going forward. That space could have been pretty valuable next year. I tend to think we'd be better not going the DP route for a period of time and focusing on building our MLS talent for a bit.

At the end of the day though, the team needs a shot in the arm, and this looks on the face a fairly good idea.

__wowza
06-28-2012, 01:39 PM
On the other hand, there are a few obvious points to make. One, this clearly leaves JDG in no man's land. How will he react to that? He may (probably) does know already he's not renewing a DP contract for next year. Maybe being out of contract will be enough to get him to perform the rest of the year? Hard to know.

he hasn't performed already, what's going to change?
if he lets the fact that we signed his replacement sour him, he'll be hard up finding a team that's willing to make him on next year. he's old, shite, and strapping the label on him that he tank the rest of his season with the team because they signed someone else will be a surefire recipe for playing in armenia.

Code Red
06-28-2012, 02:04 PM
The positives far outweigh the negatives... sign him.

Yohan
06-28-2012, 02:11 PM
The positives far outweigh the negatives... sign him.lets just hope nesta actually plays and dont chase nurses

ManUtd4ever
06-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Ugh...

Kurtis Larson‏@KurtLarSUN
Nesta to #TFC (http://redpatchboys.ca/#!/search/%23TFC) talk right now overblown. Will confirm through Mariner tomorrow at training.

Gazza
06-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Jumping the gun again?

ManUtd4ever
06-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Maybe Larson and Rollins are just having a pissing contest ala Nick Kypreos vs Darren Dreger at the NHL trade deadline, LOL...

ag futbol
06-28-2012, 02:51 PM
If this actually goes through, it just shows that Larson is the guy who gets spoon fed stories from management and is basically being strung along.

Phil
06-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Well, if its true, I expect spin to say its not. If its not true, I expect the same type of reports.

Only way to know is wait for a presser. LOL

Suds
06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
lets just hope nesta actually plays and dont chase nurses

hey, hey, hold up there homestyle ... what's wrong with chasing nurses?? g:D

kodiakTFC
06-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Even a season or two, Nesta working with our youngsters could be very valuable in their development. I vote YEA. According to some reports, Galliani wanted to keep him for 12-13, so he must think Nesta's got a bit more in the tank still.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Canary10
06-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Hmm....Alessandro Nesta....Danny Califf. Alessandro Nesta....Danny Califf. My hands are doing a scale kind of thing, and they seem to weigh the former higher than the latter.

ensco
06-28-2012, 04:29 PM
I have to say, and I know I'm being overly influenced by (i) the magisterial display Pirlo is putting on, and (ii) the egg on Berlusconi's face for letting him walk on a free .....

Nesta is special. In a league of his own, like Pirlo. If we can get him, omg. But.

He can still play in Serie A, maybe even for a good team, and therefore I don't think that Nesta is coming to MLS for anything less than a Serious Boatload of Money.

I know nothing. Just my opinion.

Auzzy
06-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I have to say, and I know I'm being overly influenced by (i) the magisterial display Pirlo is putting on, and (ii) the egg on Berlusconi's face for letting him walk on a free .....

Nesta is special. In a league of his own, like Pirlo. If we can get him, omg. But.

He can still play in Serie A, maybe even for a good team, and therefore I don't think that Nesta is coming to MLS for anything less than a Serious Boatload of Money.

I know nothing. Just my opinion.

Ha, so there's your price increase for next year! ;)

jazzy
06-28-2012, 04:38 PM
A few is more than 2. :)

look it up, simply more than 1 and definitely a small number..........blabla

ArmenJBX
06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Update:

Alessandro Nesta was reported as being a guest of Toronto FC. He was not. He was invited as a guest of Montreal's. He sat in Saputo's guest box.
Paul Mariner being the highest member of management travelling to Montreal meant he would have been awful lonely as a guest of Toronto FC's.

Junior Burgos' release does not open enough cap room for Nesta.

He might have been there to support Di Vaio, though that's just me speculating.

Code Red
06-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Update:

Alessandro Nesta was reported as being a guest of Toronto FC. He was not. He was invited as a guest of Montreal's. He sat in Saputo's guest box.
Paul Mariner being the highest member of management travelling to Montreal meant he would have been awful lonely as a guest of Toronto FC's.

Well, that's that. Looks like the Impact are poised to become the Italian NT.

TOBOR !
06-28-2012, 04:48 PM
This thread became lulz as soon as Larsen's was mentioned.

ArmenJBX
06-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Well, that's that. Looks like the Impact are poised to become the Italian NT.

Consider that Toronto FC doesn't typically leak things like this and Montreal have always been very, very public/open with their player intentions and the picture becomes a little clearer.

Canary10
06-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Update:

Does this cue the Duane Rollins to eat crow thread?

West220Side
06-28-2012, 04:51 PM
I wonder if those Shevchenko rumours had any ground aswell then...
Can't hurt, not to sure about having all these designated players at such an old age.

Nesta (36) (<< nevermind rumor seems a bust)
19 March 1976

Frings (35)
22 November 1976

Koev (33)
1 November 1978

How many years do these guys have in the tank left? I don't have the confidence in our current management to think we have a proper long-term plan to replace these men.

In two or three years. (two most likely) who replaces Nesta to play beside a matured Henry?
In a year or two who replaces Frings when he returns to Germany after retirement? Are we producing any holding midfielders as of now? Are we going to purchase somebody?
In up to what, three years when Koevermans can't stay fit anymore who plays striker? What are we producing that way? Whats in our Academy.

I would prefer to have domestic replacements, rather then shopping abroad for replacements. What does everybody think about the issue of having such aged Designated
Players?

Edit: Obviously ruling out Nesta. Question remains valid however. Id like to see us using that young designated player rule to our advantage or perhaps leaving the designated player slot open and spreading the $300k cap hit amongst several players.

ArmenJBX
06-28-2012, 04:51 PM
It's a matter of his source's word over mine at this point.

Saputo links his team (single owner) to a new player every week it seems. Yesterday, they were linked to Clarence Seedorf in a Dutch paper.

Toronto FC don't, because it's a corporation.

Also, if TFC wanted to sign a player, why would Toronto FC bring him to Montreal if not to sign/play? It seems like a waste of time/resources.

narduch
06-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Update:

That was the one weird thing in Rollins report. Why would Nesta be a guest of TFC, but be sitting with Corradi and Ferrari?

Code Red
06-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Consider that Toronto FC doesn't typically leak things like this and Montreal have always been very, very public/open with their player intentions and the picture becomes a little clearer.

Who needs Nesta when you have Aceval on the bench? g:D

Canary10
06-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Bloggers chasing rumours is a bit foolish I think. With the extremely poor football writing in the newspapers, I would rather see someone write really good articles about the team than try to prove their "insidedness" by throwing a dart and getting a rumour right. Let your writing speak for itself. IMO.

Gazza
06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Can't believe i got sucked into another "so and so to tfc" rumour from a blogger.

ryan
06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
look it up, simply more than 1 and definitely a small number..........blabla

It's really subjective and how it's phrased in the sentence, but I'm personally of the belief that couple would be used to define 2 and use of few would imply more, but not quite several.

:D

Red CB Toronto
06-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Duane Rollins and Kurt Larson are good journalists who cover the footy beat and have brought a lot of insight into the local scene which in my mind has been undeserved at times. Canadian Soccer News, Red Nation Online etc have found a good spot in the world of footy journalism to call there own. Chasing stories is the nature of the buiz and sometimes you get it right, other times wrong and then pieces of something different to come.

I always have believed that when a writer is having a story pushed on them or a something told to them, there is an agenda, an angle per say and it is their job to separate the fact from fiction.

narduch
06-28-2012, 05:33 PM

Cap room in MLS is always a mystery, but wouldn't TFC have cap room from releasing Caicedo before the season started?

MG42
06-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Duane Rollins and Kurt Larson are good journalists who cover the footy beat and have brought a lot of insight into the local scene which in my mind has been undeserved at times. Canadian Soccer News, Red Nation Online etc have found a good spot in the world of footy journalism to call there own. Chasing stories is the nature of the buiz and sometimes you get it right, other times wrong and then pieces of something different to come.

I always have believed that when a writer is having a story pushed on them or a something told to them, there is an agenda, an angle per say and it is their job to separate the fact from fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

denime
06-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Update:

Do you guys remember this post from 117 on June 1st?

Montreal will be signing two DPs in the near future probably with the next two weeks. A person I trust told me that the L'Impact will be signing Nesta and Seedorf.

Personally I like the idea of signing Seedorf, but the signing of Nesta is a head scratcher as he has has missed significant time over the past couple of year. He can't seem to stay healthy, but of he can the combo of him and Ferrari in the middle they will have the best defense in the league.

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31106-2012-MLS-(non-TFC)-in-season-transfers-rumours-thread/page4

Blizzard
06-28-2012, 06:19 PM
That was the one weird thing in Rollins report. Why would Nesta be a guest of TFC, but be sitting with Corradi and Ferrari?

Perhaps because they are friends / colleagues from Serie A? Also, I doubt Toronto FC has a box at Le Stade du Fromage. I'm not saying Armen is wrong or that Duane is wrong. I'm just pointing out a reasonable possibility.

billyfly
06-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Oh brother.

Derko
06-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Sounds like Poppycock to me

Ratven
06-28-2012, 08:25 PM
That would be something if he not only doesn't sign with us, but signs with MTL :facepalm:

TOBOR !
06-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Does this cue the Duane Rollins to eat crow thread?

Too soon.

And a bit harsh. I get the guy's position. Busting your hump to get a story, trusting your sources and rushing to be the first to get it out there - all in the name of credibility sold as journalism... only for it all to turn to shit. And when you turn out to be the only source you have to ask yourself why you bother, as everyone who quoted your story hangs you out to dry.

I know I'd be pissed.

Anyway, let's see how it all shakes down.

brad
06-28-2012, 09:29 PM
This signing would be brilliant if it happens. Experienced defender that would be a starter for AC Milan next year if he wanted to. A guy who just did a solid job marking Messi over two games. Yes he is older, but even if we got two years out of him it would be fantastic, and the experience that Henry would pick up playing with him an training with him would be invaluable.

Also - I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Milan Lab. It is the scientific arm of AC Milan and one of their focuses is extending the playing careers of players. They are revolutionary and what they are doing is prolonging the careers of player. They are one of the major reasons that Maldini played, for Milan, until he was 40. United worked with Milan Lab and credit what they learned from them with prolonging the careers of Giggs and Scholes. Now that's no guarantee that Nesta is going last that many more years, but Milan really are changing the game in this regard.

The other thing worth mentioning. I can see TFC pursuing him very aggressively. We have a huge Italian community in this city, we need to get people back into BMO, and this guy is obviously an Italian legend.

That said, watch him sign for Montreal.

Soccerpro
06-28-2012, 09:37 PM
No thanks. Please grow a team organically like RSL did. Don't need an old broken player who will be here for a bit. Need a CB to build with long term.

Gazza
06-28-2012, 09:52 PM
If you are more concerned with getting a story out first rather than getting the story right, you should at least be able to handle the much deserved criticism that comes your way.

I figure now i won't get excited about tfc news until reputable people have confirmed it.

jloome
06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
If you are more concerned with getting a story out first rather than getting the story right, you should at least be able to handle the much deserved criticism that comes your way.

I figure now i won't get excited about tfc news until reputable people have confirmed it.

This might happen yet. Burgos doesn't clear enough cap space, except that only a small portion has to go against the cap if TFC is allowed to use league allocation money. And it makes sense for him to visit friends in Montreal even if he were coming here.

As for the reporting issue, I've done it for a living for 23 years and can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten a prediction wrong, and that's among literally thousands and thousands of stories. Part of the issue is that sports reporting has come to rely on anonymous sources, which both gives reporters a lot of leeway to make up shit and quote a "source" they could never produce if actually hauled into court, and makes it easy for malicious "sources" to dump on them. Anonymous sources should be limited to serious whistleblowers, not casual sports stories. It undermines credibility.

But here's hoping Rollins is right, as we could use the leadership.

BFin
06-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Duane Rollins. Enough said.

Let's move on.

TOBOR !
06-29-2012, 12:07 AM

Pretty much

DangerRed
06-29-2012, 01:16 AM
I hope this very unlikely deal comes true (a non-DP first season for a 36 year old? Come on). Meanwhile, I'm currently bedridden, recovering after being crushed by the Duane Rollins-sized grain of salt required to believe this story.

Flipityflu
06-29-2012, 05:17 AM
and this is why you don't trust bloggers.

Oldtimer
06-29-2012, 05:34 AM
Nesta to Montreal makes much more sense. *sigh*

Abou Sky
06-29-2012, 05:55 AM
Ha, so there's your price increase for next year! ;)

Give me a winning team and I will pay.

Losing team, I won't, even with a discount.

Haddy
06-29-2012, 06:28 AM
I can blog too. Rooney went to LA recently. Gonna sign any day now. A bird told me. He comes to my yard daily so I trust him.

Get me real confirmation. None of this third-party crap. First hand account or don't risk it. One of the first things I was taught in journo school.

Why hasn't anyone else reported, other than a blog?

Abou Sky
06-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Duane Rollins is pretty good about DD

He is also a pretty smart guy when it comes to soccer, even if most don't agree. (myself often included, and I almost always eat my words)

Only thing he is likely guilty of is excessive pessimism, which he shares with half the people on this board.

mdc 77
06-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Two things are odd here, these are also facts not rumours.

1. Nesta was a sitting in the Impact booth.
2. He was with Corradi and Ferrari.

Now I could be totally wrong but I would think there would never be a chance in hell that the Impact would let TFC invite Alessandro Nesta to a match in Montreal and then sit him in the Impact booth with two Impact players. I want this Nesta rumour to be true but everything points it to not being true. The blog post states two player agents said its "highly likely" Nesta would sign with TFC and that an Impact insider said he was a guest of Toronto. Doesn't sound too promising to me.

TOBOR !
06-29-2012, 07:12 AM
^ I was thinking that as well, unless he was a guest of MLS and where he may end up is still unsettled.

[NBF]
06-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Horrible, Nesta is nowhere near what he used to be even two years ago. In 2010, this might have been a good signing as a DP, but right now, I would find it hard to believe that Nesta could beat out a defender like Kevin McKenna in MLS. If anything it would have been better business to attract a centre back like McKenna to TFC on a DP contract in 2013. This is just a ploy to sell the brand. Should of just gone out and signed a Korean striker. I would have accepted Long Tan from the Whitecaps just to build depth behind Koevermans.

v00d00daddy
06-29-2012, 07:32 AM
I'd love Nesta even though I think he's lost a few steps.

I just don't know why (if both Montreal and Tfc are interested) he would ever choose TFC.

It makes no sense.

Every logical reason would indicate that he'd sign with Montreal.

Familiar players
Closer style mentality

I think he could Help our young cbs immensely but don't see why he'd want to play here.

ensco
06-29-2012, 07:41 AM
It makes more sense to me that he would go to TFC than Montreal. Montreal don't need him to sell tickets, TFC do. Montreal are pretty settled at the back. We're not.

I bet Nesta is seriously looking at this. He is probably here to have a look around. But Nesta could easily wind up at Juve, or somewhere of that stature.

His agent probably leaked it as part of working the price up in Italy of his Serie A options.

This is probably strictly about money, as his Serie A options are probably one year rentals.

ManUtd4ever
06-29-2012, 07:41 AM

I just don't know why (if both Montreal and Tfc are interested) he would ever choose TFC.

It makes no sense.

Familiar players
Closer style mentality

I think he could Help our young cbs immensely but don't see why he'd want to play here.

That's true, but stranger things have happened. TFC wasn't exactly setting the league on fire when Frings and Koevermans signed. Besides, T.O. has a larger Italian community than Montreal, and Nesta would be treated like royalty if he signed with TFC.

Technorgasm
06-29-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm no expert on MLS. . I have been watching for only 6 years. . . but it seems to me that few of the 'BIG' names or former great whatever you want to call them have a massive impact on the squad and change the fortunes of the team.
apart from Henry. . and possibly becks.

still takes a team to win.
we can all agreed that JDGs salary can be better spent elsewhere though. . . . right?

Nesta? hey sure why not.
Im not against ANYONE who wants to sign in Toronto.

Fort York Redcoat
06-29-2012, 07:46 AM

It makes no sense.

Familiar players
Closer style mentality

I begrudgingly agree. It stings like a kick in the cajones but the city, the players, the teams state...

Technorgasm
06-29-2012, 08:04 AM
PS. were are going to blow DP money on a defender.

seriously. . we need to score.

Fort York Redcoat
06-29-2012, 08:11 AM
;1505543']Horrible, Nesta is nowhere near what he used to be even two years ago. In 2010, this might have been a good signing as a DP, but right now, I would find it hard to believe that Nesta could beat out a defender like Kevin McKenna in MLS. If anything it would have been better business to attract a centre back like McKenna to TFC on a DP contract in 2013. This is just a ploy to sell the brand. Should of just gone out and signed a Korean striker. I would have accepted Long Tan from the Whitecaps just to build depth behind Koevermans.

McKenna. Man, if that happens I'll be happy but brace myself for the anti-Canada caution.

Phil
06-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Anyone know how much allocation space there is? I think we have a fair amount so the Burgos wave means more about the spot than the money in my mind. As well I know a lot of people are incorrectly assuming certain cap hits with some of the players we picked up.

I have heard this about Nesta from a few different places now, but nothing is for sure until they call the presser. Lots of things change very fast in the world of player signings.

edit: nevermind about the spot, he counted as a US player.

T-boy
06-29-2012, 09:02 AM
PS. were are going to blow DP money on a defender.

seriously. . we need to score.

8 goals in the last three games isn't quite enough for you?! :p

Blizzard
06-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Anyone know how much allocation space there is? I think we have a fair amount so the Burgos wave means more about the spot than the money in my mind. As well I know a lot of people are incorrectly assuming certain cap hits with some of the players we picked up.

I have heard this about Nesta from a few different places now, but nothing is for sure until they call the presser. Lots of things change very fast in the world of player signings.

Agreed. It was the space, not the money.

Allocation is the key I think. A long run in the CCL means some allocation money from the league. I wouldn't be shocked if they advanced us some. TFC is an embarassment to MLS at the moment and if they can help us in a way such as this, I wouldn't put it past them.

TFC has a bit of an aroma to it right now and I'm sure they'd like to open a window.

Derko
06-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Tha Poopius Maximus odour

OfficeGuy
06-29-2012, 09:45 AM

I enjoy their insights and their writings bring attention to the team - which is an important part of Toronto FC. We used to scream for coverage of soccer - now it's here and we should support them as we do our team!
Kurt, Duane - THANK YOU

:canada:

Oldtimer
06-29-2012, 09:48 AM
;1505543']Horrible, Nesta is nowhere near what he used to be even two years ago. In 2010, this might have been a good signing as a DP, but right now, I would find it hard to believe that Nesta could beat out a defender like Kevin McKenna in MLS.

If that's true, it's worrying.

I mean, we once signed a former "MLS Defender of the Year," Nick Garcia. By the time Mo brought his old (with emphasis on "old") buddy Nick in, Nick was one of the slowest defenders in the league.

Technorgasm
06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
8 goals in the last three games isn't quite enough for you?! :p
ITS NEVER ENOUGH!
goals!
goals!
GOOAAALLss!!!

TOBOR !
06-29-2012, 09:55 AM
I enjoy their insights and their writings bring attention to the team - which is an important part of Toronto FC. We used to scream for objective, fact-based coverage of soccer - now we have Kurt and Duane!

- THANK YOU

Fixed your post

Derko
06-29-2012, 09:57 AM
The Ian Holloway/Blackpool effect Goals and more goals, I say attacking football

[NBF]
06-29-2012, 10:00 AM
If that's true, it's worrying.

I mean, we once signed a former "MLS Defender of the Year," Nick Garcia. By the time Mo brought his old (with emphasis on "old") buddy Nick in, Nick was one of the slowest defenders in the league.

Whats the worst part about this rumour, is that if they sign him and he barely plays above Adrian Cann, he might get purged in the offseason, if they purge him he will give TFC a bad name. If he stays as a DP and his skill level drops to Nick Garcia levels, he will be a DP and be the 2013 version of DeGuzman. They might sell a few t-shirts by signing him, but they're digging a hole for themselves and its the same mistakes from day one.

ensco
06-29-2012, 10:12 AM
;1505543']Horrible, Nesta is nowhere near what he used to be even two years ago. In 2010, this might have been a good signing as a DP, but right now, I would find it hard to believe that Nesta could beat out a defender like Kevin McKenna in MLS. If anything it would have been better business to attract a centre back like McKenna to TFC on a DP contract in 2013. This is just a ploy to sell the brand. Should of just gone out and signed a Korean striker. I would have accepted Long Tan from the Whitecaps just to build depth behind Koevermans.

I find this ludicrous. Even accepting the durability issue. Do you even watch Serie A games? Nesta had injury problems last year, but when he was healthy, he played. He was Milan's first choice CB.

ag futbol
06-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Now I could be totally wrong but I would think there would never be a chance in hell that the Impact would let TFC invite Alessandro Nesta to a match in Montreal and then sit him in the Impact booth with two Impact players. I want this Nesta rumour to be true but everything points it to not being true. The blog post states two player agents said its "highly likely" Nesta would sign with TFC and that an Impact insider said he was a guest of Toronto. Doesn't sound too promising to me.
Would it really be THAT strange? It's a single entity league and teams tend to help each other out. Let me put it this way: If Nesta said he wanted to go to the game in Montreal to sit with Corradi and Ferrari, are you going to tell him no if your TFC?

It isn't exactly celtic-rangers here.

Oldtimer
06-29-2012, 10:15 AM
I find this ludicrous. Even accepting the durability issue. Do you even watch Serie A games? Nesta had injury problems last year, but when he was healthy, he played. He was Milan's first choice CB.

I like what you said better. :) I hope it's true.

Suds
06-29-2012, 10:19 AM

To be honest, I have not seen the guy play that often.

But I agree with you that playing for a top team in the Serie A says this guy has some serious ability. I guess the big questions are health and how much speed has he dropped. I'm sure he's dealt with much faster and skilled players. His ability to read the game and play positionally well can offset a drop in his own speed - to a degree. Then it just comes down to how durable he is to play week in and week out.

A guy like Nesta can make any team better. Just depends on the cost for him and how many games a team can get out of him.

ensco
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
To be honest, I have not seen the guy play that often.

But I agree with you that playing for a top team in the Serie A says this guy has some serious ability. I guess the big questions are health and how much speed has he dropped. I'm sure he's dealt with much faster and skilled players. His ability to read the game and play positionally well can offset a drop in his own speed - to a degree. Then it just comes down to how durable he is to play week in and week out.

A guy like Nesta can make any team better. Just depends on the cost for him and how many games a team can get out of him.

Good summary.

Like I said, I think he will be expensive, and yes, he could easily break down.

Blizzard
06-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Would it really be THAT strange? It's a single entity league and teams tend to help each other out. Let me put it this way: If Nesta said he wanted to go to the game in Montreal to sit with Corradi and Ferrari, are you going to tell him no if your TFC?

It isn't exactly celtic-rangers here.

Exactly. Joey wouldn't say no to that. Nesta, Corradi and Ferrari are Serie A alumni. I'm sure they would have enjoyed each others company although I would imagine that Corradi is a bit distressed at the moment. A torn ACL at 35 does not make for a bright future.

ManUtd4ever
06-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Agreed.

DoubleUp
06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Nesta has lost a step, still reads the game well(one of the best ever in his position) but the physical aspect of the game is leaving him year by year.

It would be nice, but its a gamble.

Dreadlocks
06-29-2012, 10:44 AM
I think Nesta signing will benefit both Toronto and the CMNT. Even if he turns out to only be a shadow of himself, Doneil Henry will be learning from a player that was once one of the best central defenders in the history of the game. In fact, Nesta in his prime was THE best central defender imo. Top 3 in history at least.

As it is right now, Henry is learning from Frings, a midfielder, and/or Adrain Cann?

ag futbol
06-29-2012, 11:18 AM
As it is right now, Henry is learning from Frings, a midfielder, and/or Adrain Cann?
As I kind of pointed out in the other thread, don't under estimate the ability of mediocre players to be great mentors. All-world players aren't always the best when it comes to teaching other people. Off the top of my head, I can think of more top players who credit lesser knowns colleages for their success than players of a similar ilk.

I don't think mentoring is the reason we should be using to justify a signing such as this.

brad
06-29-2012, 11:20 AM

And quite handily looked after some chap named Messi.

Huyton
06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
I think the problem with having an older, slower player who was one of the finest at his position in Europe is that he's surrounded by players (on both sides) that didn't play in Europe.

They don't always do the intelligent, or expected, thing.

For instance, De Guzmans ability to read the game at a high level is very good. His best displays have always been against higher quality opponents, and not so good otherwise.

This is a league full of "otherwise".

So, while I'd love to see someone as cultured as Nesta play for TFC, I have my doubts as to how effective he'd be. He'd be fantastic coaching the Academy graduates, I think, and he'd do wonders for shirt sales, but a guy like him will be more effective in a couple of years as the talent level on this team improves.

In some ways, I'd've preferred Gattuso over Frings for a defensive midfielder. One look from him would terrify most opponents, and one tackle would be enough to convince the others.

Ultimately, I'd love to see Pirlo play for TFC in a couple of years.

Gazza
06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
I enjoy their insights and their writings bring attention to the team - which is an important part of Toronto FC. We used to scream for coverage of soccer - now it's here and we should support them as we do our team!
Kurt, Duane - THANK YOU

Wait. We should support opinions based on speculation disguised as facts?

jabbronies
06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
As I kind of pointed out in the other thread, don't under estimate the ability of mediocre players to be great mentors. All-world players aren't always the best when it comes to teaching other people. Off the top of my head, I can think of more top players who credit lesser knowns colleages for their success than players of a similar ilk.

I don't think mentoring is the reason we should be using to justify a signing such as this.

It's not always about verbal teaching. Just watching a player of worldly caliber should be enough for a young guy like Henry to learn from.
Being in the right spots, making the right tackles, not committing to bad tackles, keeping the backline organized, hooking up with the midfielders, calling for a switch - these are all things Cann is not doing very well and we are seeing this with the way our backline plays. Having someone who can do at least half of these things should be good enough for the young guys to learn from.

I don't watch SerieA so I can't speak to his current quality - But if he can do at least half of these things right now - I'd rather take him than wait for the perfect guy to come along.

A lot of people keep talking about our striking problem - but our D problem is far, far worse than that. It's very embarrassing at times back there and we need to start addressing that problem.

If we get him we will be (on paper at least) pretty strong up the gut.

Blizzard
06-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Wait. We should support opinions based on speculation disguised as facts?

You stating it is speculation is only speculation in and of itself. Do you know who Duane's contacts are? Can you state with definity that Duane is only speculating?

We'll know in a few days if he is right or wrong.

All I can say is that I hope he is right as I would love to see this happen.

ManUtd4ever
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
The plot thickens...

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2271277073/ydlslhst3yqw8o901a3o_normal.jpegAC Milan DiavoloNews‏@MilanDiavolo (http://redpatchboys.ca/MilanDiavolo)

According to different sources including GdS, Toronto FC will be making a contract offer to Alessandro Nesta.

Auzzy
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Twitter from 26 minutes ago:

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
(https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)So mariner says club is targeting Nesta. #TFC (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23TFC) didn't say how serious or involved talks are.

Auzzy
06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
30 minutes ago:

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN
(https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)Mariner not talking to Nesta but says he's a target. I stand somewhat corrected. #TFC (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23TFC)

So who's eating crow today? g:D

ManUtd4ever
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Molinaro chimes in...

John Molinaro‏@JohnMolinaro
So mariner says club is targeting Nesta. #TFC (http://redpatchboys.ca/#!/search/%23TFC) didn't say how serious or involved talks are.

Auzzy
06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Molinaro chimes in...

Really? You don't say...

TOBOR !
06-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Molinaro chimes in...

Pompey Chimes, that is :

Tom Anselmi !
GTFO !

Tom Anselmi !
GTFO !

MartinUtd
06-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Bieber's latest tweet:

Justin Bieber ‏@justinbieber (https://twitter.com/justinbieber) it is about the music. BELIEVE - click here http://smarturl.it/jbmktg (http://t.co/gcLpD9oe)

Blizzard
06-29-2012, 12:04 PM

How so? Publically stating your intentions regarding possible player signings is a great way to show your hand and shoot yourself in the foot. A team with brains will keep that to themselves and not tip off any possible opponents of what they're up to. If TFC is after Nesta, they should keep their mouths shut andif Montreal is after him, they should have already shut up about it.

ManUtd4ever
06-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Really? You don't say...

LOL

Well, regarding the speculation, at least it's been confirmed that there's genuine interest on TFC's part. Now, the proverbial ball is in Nesta's court.

I think TFC should invite Nesta to Toronto to watch the game tomorrow at BMO, and if he happens to be in town to watch the Euro Final on Sunday, he'll fall in love with the city, especially if Italy wins and he witnesses the massive party in the streets thereafter.

ag futbol
06-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Well there you go, Rollins wasn't full of shit at all... although I doubt some people will give him any credit considering their personal dislike for the guy. Not much a fan of his writing at times, but I never saw a reason to distrust the stories he's broken.

As for Larson: talk about embarrassing. I think everyone with an IQ over 50 knows that you can't just take TFC management at their word when you ask about rumors.

Darlofletch
06-29-2012, 12:14 PM
wow, just going through this all now, that was some flimsy flimsy 'evidence' used to somehow show that rollins is full of shit and worthy of so much scorn.

will it happen? don't know, but I'd trust duane just as much as I'd trust one tweet from kurt larson.

edit: by which I mean I'd trust both of them quite a lot, as much as you can any journalist really.

Chinatownchef
06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Wow, this would solidify the back 4. With Cann coming back from injury, Kocic would be able to take it easy for the rest of the season.

Phil
06-29-2012, 12:25 PM
I know a few guys that were upset at not being able to break this story. That right there tells me that there was credibility on some level for it.

Anyhow, there is a lot of distance between talk and actually getting a contract done, who knows if it will happen?

Credit to Rollins for getting this out there.

Oldtimer
06-29-2012, 12:34 PM
I know a few guys that were upset at not being able to break this story. That right there tells me that there was credibility on some level for it.

Anyhow, there is a lot of distance between talk and actually getting a contract done, who knows if it will happen?

Credit to Rollins for getting this out there.

An advantage of being a blogger is that you don't have to convince an editorial board that your story has merit.

A disadvantage for blog readers relying too much on bloggers is that the blogger doesn't have to convince an editorial board that their story has merit.

Credit is due to him, though, for ferreting out the story.

Oldtimer
06-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Wow, this would solidify the back 4. With Cann coming back from injury, Kocic would be able to take it easy for the rest of the season.

If this happens, Nesta will be a valuable replacement for the services of the injured Ty Harden j/k.

Gazza
06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Does Mariner target players the same way Mo did?

Phil
06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
An advantage of being a blogger is that you don't have to convince an editorial board that your story has merit.

A disadvantage for blog readers relying too much on bloggers is that the blogger doesn't have to convince an editorial board that their story has merit.

Credit is due to him, though, for ferreting out the story.

Big time. However I tried to post pretty quickly in order to support him as I know other guys couldn't go ahead with the story yet.

Oldtimer
06-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Rudi's now published it on Goal:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/06/28/3207364/report-alessandro-nesta-linked-with-toronto-f

ArmenJBX
06-29-2012, 01:17 PM
30 minutes ago:

I suppose that would be me.
I talked to a couple guys from TFC and their input was that it was unlikely he was a guest of the team.
If he's with us, that's awesome - that makes our back four really strong.

Kudos to Duane who broke the story

Rudi
06-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Rudi's now published it on Goal:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/06/28/3207364/report-alessandro-nesta-linked-with-toronto-f
That was from yesterday.

For the record, I heard rumblings of the Nesta story (independent of Duane) on Wed. night, but didn't have enough to go public with it. Duane chased the story down throughout the night and broke the story, which is why I gave Canadian Soccer News credit in the article. Kudos to him for it.

moralis
06-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Someone who actually spoke with Nesta today at a Montreal hotel: Took a pic of himself and Nesta.

https://twitter.com/_EnricoS

http://ow.ly/i/JxBE

Pookie
06-29-2012, 01:56 PM
On the plus side, if he graduated next year into a DP contract, that would most assuredly mean that JDG would need to sign a non-DP contract in order for him to stay.

Inking JDG to a non-DP contract is a critical offseason roster move, IMO. This sets the tone nicely for that to happen.

On the downside, given his age and that of DK and TF, we would have a very old (but good) core. We would have about 1 year left on the services of TF and DK and it would be a shakey year from a health perspective. We would absolutely need to funnel money into scouting now in order to build an "injury" buffer roster with depth and a plan to replace them once their contracts expire.

Technorgasm
06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
I was at a dinner party 2 weeks ago, and this was a topic of conversation.
so. . . looks like it has some legs to it cuz.the people I dinner with know their shit.

I agree with everyting JABRONIES posted up there.
that kid is goin places.

Auzzy
06-29-2012, 02:28 PM
30 minutes ago:

I suppose that would be me.
I talked to a couple guys from TFC and their input was that it was unlikely he was a guest of the team.
If he's with us, that's awesome - that makes our back four really strong.

Kudos to Duane who broke the story

Actually wasn't really thinking of you, more of Kurtis Larson, because he can be derisive towards people anyway. Plus a few folks on this board were perhaps a bit too dismissive of the original story. That being said, I don't know anything, nothing is definite, we shall see. I'm actually a bit surprised that Mariner even confirmed that they're interested in Nesta at this point, with things still being so unsure. If it doesn't work out now, many people will be pissed. Who knows, we shall see, I learned long ago to try to avoid getting my hopes up about anything.

KRO
06-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Kurt Larson's latest article in the Sun

" Earl Cochrane, the team’s director of team and player operations confirmed to me in a short telephone conversation today that although Nesta’s name has bounced around internally, the club hasn’t reached out to the Italian or his agent."

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/

Auzzy
06-29-2012, 02:30 PM
^ Well, if Earl Cochrane confirmed something... then... well... we really don't know anything, we shall see.

rudiker
06-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Here's some more confirmation:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/06/29/toronto-fc-confirm-interest-former-milan-defender-nesta

Abou Sky
06-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Just as a note on 'physical play' those that think that Serie A is like Spanish Liga are way off.

Serie A is a physical league, not quite EPL but not too far, don't remember who but remember watching a Bologne player pull a tooth out on the sideline, throw it away, spit some blood and take a corner this year. Don't underestimate the Italians. (No, I am not Italian, even if the amount of body hair I have says different.)

johnmolinaro
06-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Probably not my place to say, so forgive me if I'm out of line with this...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with readers such as yourselves questioning reporters and the legitimacy of their stories. I think we need more of it, frankly. I can only speak for myself when I say that I don't mind it in the least when a reader challenges my work, and I've said so before on this very board.

Part of our job is to keep others honest and hold them accountable. The same applies to us, and I think it's healthy that so many people are watching what we do and keeping us honest, for lack of a better phrase.

But there's a constructive way to do it.

I don't know Duane - I mean, I've met him before (maybe three times in my life), but we don't know each other and I'm not at all familiar with his work. I haven't read the Nesta article in question but having said that, I do find it unfair that some of you are dismissing something he's written completely out of hand without knowing the facts. Unless you know how he came about the story, how he gathered the information or who he's talked to, I think it's premature to dismiss him out of hand. Why not wait until you see how this plays out and what happens before breaking out the tar and feathers?

As for Kurt, I've been able to get to know him on a personal level over the last few months. I've read some of his articles from time to time, and I've got a sense of how he works and puts together his stories. I think he's been a great addition to the Toronto FC beat - he's very professional, he knows soccer quite well, and he's very committed to his job. I'm proud to call him a colleague.

Again, I think it's unfair to dismiss Kurt out of hand without knowing who he talks to or how he goes about gathering information for a story.

Continue to challenge us and hold us accountable. But do it in a meaningful and constructive fashion that leads to a serious dialogue, and not some pissing contest. Ask questions instead of making blanket statements and troll-like comments.

My two cents. I don't mean to come off as though I'm lecturing anybody.

Sorry if I've offended anybody with this.

John M

Suds
06-29-2012, 04:19 PM

I don't know Duane - I mean, I've met him before (maybe three times in my life), but we don't know each other and I'm not at all familiar with his work. I haven't read the Nesta article in question but having said that, I do find it unfair that some of you are dismissing something he's written completely out of hand without knowing the facts. Unless you know how he came about the story, how he gathered the information or who he's talked to, I think it's premature to dismiss him out of hand. Why not wait until you see how this plays out and what happens before breaking out the tar and feathers?

Now what fun would that be? g:D

On a serious note, I agree with your post.

Pigfynn
06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
People just want this to be true and since this club has fucked with our minds and broken our hearts dozens of times in the past it brings out the cynic in a lot of us.

I think that's fair actually.

No one wants to become too attached to the idea of hope.

Sad but true.

brad
06-29-2012, 04:37 PM
John, not sure if you would want to comment on this on a forum like this - but I know you are big Serie A fan and know the game. How much do you think Nesta has left in the tank, and do you think he would be a good addition to TFC?

johnmolinaro
06-29-2012, 04:47 PM
I think he's got something left in the tank. Probably another season and a half to two seasons, and he'd be a good addition to the club.

Speed and athleticism were never his strengths. But what Nesta does better than most defenders in the world is read the game. His positioning is excellent and he's also a defensive organizer.

I don't know what his English skills are like, so that could be an issue, especially if he would be brought in to "quarterback" the defence. But there's not question he still has something to give - last season he and Thiago Silva formed not only the best centre back pairing in Serie A, but one of the best in European club football.

john

ManUtd4ever
06-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the insight John.

BTW, can you reach out to your paisan and try to convince him to sign with TFC?

g:D

johnmolinaro
06-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm a Juventus fan, so I don't consort with "the enemy." Probably why I didn't get along with Winter - he played for Inter, which is even worse! :)

Thanks for the insight John.

BTW, can you reach out to your paisan and try to convince him to sign with TFC?

g:D

ryan
06-29-2012, 05:03 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with readers such as yourselves questioning reporters and the legitimacy of their stories. I think we need more of it, frankly. I can only speak for myself when I say that I don't mind it in the least when a reader challenges my work, and I've said so before on this very board.

Part of our job is to keep others honest and hold them accountable. The same applies to us, and I think it's healthy that so many people are watching what we do and keeping us honest, for lack of a better phrase.

As for Kurt, I've been able to get to know him on a personal level over the last few months. I've read some of his articles from time to time, and I've got a sense of how he works and puts together his stories. I think he's been a great addition to the Toronto FC beat - he's very professional, he knows soccer quite well, and he's very committed to his job. I'm proud to call him a colleague.

Again, I think it's unfair to dismiss Kurt out of hand without knowing who he talks to or how he goes about gathering information for a story.

Continue to challenge us and hold us accountable. But do it in a meaningful and constructive fashion that leads to a serious dialogue, and not some pissing contest. Ask questions instead of making blanket statements and troll-like comments.

John M

It's nice to get an opinion on how we comment from those who write as we don't often get that sort of interaction in sports between media and fan. I appreciate your interaction with us/me on both here and twitter.

DaBandit
06-29-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm a Juventus fan, so I don't consort with "the enemy." Probably why I didn't get along with Winter - he played for Inter, which is even worse! :)

Good man, this is what I like to hear.. Lol

ManUtd4ever
06-29-2012, 05:18 PM

If I can warm up to Paul Mariner as a United fan, you should be able to take one for the team, LOL.

johnmolinaro
06-29-2012, 05:24 PM
That's very kind and gracious of you to say. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

It's nice to get an opinion on how we comment from those who write as we don't often get that sort of interaction in sports between media and fan. I appreciate your interaction with us/me on both here and twitter.

Huyton
06-29-2012, 06:07 PM
If I can warm up to Paul Mariner as a United fan, you should be able to take one for the team, LOL.

But what would you do if Jamie Carragher or Steven Gerrard came over for a year or two?

Huyton
06-29-2012, 06:11 PM

Errm...Could you have a chat with Pirlo, then?

brad
06-29-2012, 06:14 PM
But what would you do if Jamie Carragher or Steven Gerrard came over for a year or two?

Personally as another United fan - I welcome Gerrard with open arms, and rather see Harden dress over Carragher, case that's how much I rate him (just kidding Carra is obviously way better than Harden)

Seriously though - I'd take any player that would improve TFC, regardless of old world loyalties. Beggars can't be choosers.

moralis
06-29-2012, 06:21 PM
It's not Alessandro Nesta, but another Italian centre back in Davide Zoboli is set to land in Toronto next week to sign according to Italian press: Hot off the presses

https://twitter.com/TransferNewsCen/status/218829823865393152

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.calcionews24.com/toronto-per-zoboli-manca-solo-la-firma-247204.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3DToronto,%2Bper%2BZoboli%2Bmanca%2Bsol o%2Bla%2Bfirma%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DVB6%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Drcs%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=mDXuT7_xCPD16AHu4K2cCg&ved=0CFgQ7gEwAA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davide_Zoboli

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/zoboli/profil/spieler_21702.html

http://www.gazzetta.it/speciali/2008/calcio/Players/player_p183319.shtml

ManUtd4ever
06-29-2012, 06:38 PM

In all honesty, I'd be shocked, but absolutely thrilled.

billyfly
06-29-2012, 07:17 PM

John M

You need to describe the signing of Nesta like being with an Italian lover like you described the Spanish team...lol

SweetOwnGoal
06-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Without reading the whole thread....the info was/is solid. Players lie a lot. Management always lies.

The only way this falls through is if he decides to retire.

I rarely, rarely report rumours. So, that should tell you something. Also, this isn't just me reporting -- it's CSN. I just have the byline.

I'm not going to respond to individual posts on the boards (and probably won't read the threads) until this is done. However, if anyone wants to ask me something directly I'll be happy to answer on Twitter @24thminute, or in the stadium tomorrow. I'll actually be with a group of people post-game at SJs, and am happy to discuss anything.
Duane

And, remember, there is only *one* Henry....

Oldtimer
06-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Thanks, Duane. I believe you... Earl Cochrane is doing the usual denial to cool things off until all the i's are dotted, and the t's crossed.

As far as the Zoboli tweets, he's probably plan B, however it sounds like its almost official for plan A.

denime
06-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Nesta a potential target for TFC
(http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/29/nesta-a-potential-target-for-tfc)

According to Toronto FC head coach Paul Mariner, former Italian international Alessandro Nesta is a potential summer target for the Reds — they just haven’t spoken with the former Milan man or his agent.:facepalm:

team executive Earl Cochrane followed that up by confirming to the Sun that although Nesta’s name has bounced around BMO Field, the club hasn’t reached out to the Italian or his agent as it continues to discuss potential player acquisitions internally.:facepalm:

These two stooges are lost,if you want Nesta don't expect him to contact you just because someone wrote a blog about Nesta.

IF you want player of his caliber,go to third stooge Anselmi get $$$,go over to Nesta and his agent,bend over,and say please,very simple.

Blizzard
06-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Nesta a potential target for TFC
(http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/29/nesta-a-potential-target-for-tfc)
:facepalm:

:facepalm:

These two stooges are lost,if you want Nesta don't expect him to contact you just because someone wrote a blog about Nesta.

IF you want player of his caliber,go to third stooge Anselmi get $$$,go over to Nesta and his agent,bend over,and say please,very simple.

Smokescreen and misdirection. We can't expect these guys to be transparent on this.

ensco
06-30-2012, 07:47 AM
The only way this falls through is if he decides to retire.

I believe that MLS/TFC are in serious discussions, but I have a hard time understanding how you could know this to be true.

I believe there has to be interest in Nesta from top teams in Italy/Europe. Maybe not on terms he finds attractive/acceptable. But still.

Remember how the JDG signing dragged for weeks over the summer (I assume because he waited to see if he had any decent European option)? Could that happen again here?

denime
06-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks, Duane. I believe you... Earl Cochrane is doing the usual denial to cool things off until all the i's are dotted, and the t's crossed.

As far as the Zoboli tweets, he's probably plan B, however it sounds like its almost official for plan A.

You are giving them to much credit,I'm sure they don't even have Plan A.
It more just random posting on International players transfer website,"TFC looking for solid CB if you are out of contract and don't want to retire please contact us at 416-three-stooges".

ManUtd4ever
06-30-2012, 08:33 AM
You are giving them to much credit,I'm sure they don't even have Plan A.
It more just random posting on International players transfer website,"TFC looking for solid CB if you are out of contract and don't want to retire please contact us at 416-three-stooges".

Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly how Paul Mariner is trying to recruit players considering that he's been involved in the game of football on a professional level for over 30 years.

Abou Sky
06-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Waiting on this I feel like I am 12 waiting on a girl to answer me on whether she will go to a dance with me! I want him dressed tonight!

denime
06-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly how Paul Mariner is trying to recruit players considering that he's been involved in the game of football on a professional level for over 30 years.

sorry I forgot to put "sarcasm" sign at the end.

tiberius
06-30-2012, 11:39 AM
.... The only way this falls through is if he decides to retire.

Now that is a particularly funny statement!:D Clearly you have forgotten who is doing the negotiating - Cochrane could balls this one up in a New York minute! Or someone else makes a more attractive offer, or MLS politics massages him to another "more worthy" MLS club...

Villa TFC
06-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Of course, we can't forget that this is the MLS which is unlike any other league in the world. Nesta publicly expressed an interest in playing in the MLS so for all we know all preliminary negotiations are held through the MLS. Perhaps TFC are indeed negotiating with Nesta through the MLS and technically therefore haven't actually had any direct discussions with him or his people. Who knows...I just really hope it's true and we get him.

Soccer Mom
06-30-2012, 01:46 PM
I think we need to sign Nesta because we are clearly having problems scoring goals. I think he would bolster our squad in defence and score lots of goals.

TOBOR !
06-30-2012, 08:25 PM
I think we need to sign Nesta because we are clearly having problems scoring goals. I think he would bolster our squad in defence and score lots of goals.

Man, I stuck up for you previously, when you were ganged up on, but if you're going to offer up efforts of this quality I'm afraid you're on your own [lowers shields]

jloome
07-01-2012, 12:01 AM
I believe that MLS/TFC are in serious discussions, but I have a hard time understanding how you could know this to be true.

I believe there has to be interest in Nesta from top teams in Italy/Europe. Maybe not on terms he finds attractive/acceptable. But still.

Remember how the JDG signing dragged for weeks over the summer (I assume because he waited to see if he had any decent European option)? Could that happen again here?

Perhaps what they're trying to avoid, a last-minute offer from outside that queers the deal. With Plata and Burgos' salary off the books at half-season, they'd have cap room and an international slot.

Wouldn't be surprised, still, if this happens.

Gazza
07-01-2012, 09:36 AM

You're not fooling anyone, Roogsy.

Stryker
07-01-2012, 12:51 PM
You're not fooling anyone, Roogsy.
Dude's got issues.

jloome
07-01-2012, 05:54 PM
The fact that there's not even a "rumoured" story on mlssoccer.com also lends credence to it. They only ignore it completely when it's actually about to happen.

Shakes McQueen
07-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Article on thestar.com says TFC were shopping Plata (who is now gone), in order to make room for Nesta. So if this is happening, we should know shortly I'd guess.

- Scott

Pookie
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Article on thestar.com says TFC were shopping Plata (who is now gone), in order to make room for Nesta. So if this is happening, we should know shortly I'd guess.

- Scott

Thats a nice spin. Truth is if we need an international slot, we could waive anyone. In fact, we already did when we waived Burgos a few days ago.

And you can't tell me it is about cap room in this league with magic allocation money. Mariner's quotes on Plata, about him wanting to be the coach (sarcasm), clearly demonstrate an off field issue.

joeyjones
07-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Thats a nice spin. Truth is if we need an international slot, we could waive anyone. In fact, we already did when we waived Burgos a few days ago.

And you can't tell me it is about cap room in this league with magic allocation money. Mariner's quotes on Plata, about him wanting to be the coach (sarcasm), clearly demonstrate an off field issue.

Burgos holds a US passport

Shakes McQueen
07-01-2012, 11:59 PM

As mentioned, I don't think Burgos counts as an international. And it could be a combination of needing a spot, and some room under the cap. Or it could all be a complete fabrication. I have no idea - I'm just passing along what the Toronto Star is saying about Nesta

- Scott

Pookie
07-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Burgos holds a US passport

My bad. Aceval?

brad
07-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Report saying he's signed with the Impact.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio_mercato/2012/07/02-249547/Nesta+firma+col+Montreal%3A+in+Canada+con+Di+Vaio

narduch
07-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Report saying he's signed with the Impact.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio_mercato/2012/07/02-249547/Nesta+firma+col+Montreal%3A+in+Canada+con+Di+Vaio

This is basically an English translation of the article you linked to:

http://www.football-italia.net/20683/nesta-signs-montreal-%E2%80%93-report

The Corriere Dello Sport is a reputable source (its not Goal.com).

I didn't realize that Di Vaio and Nesta were former teammates at the youth level, including winning the Primavera in 1995 together.

So essentially Di Vaio called up Nesta to convince him to join Montreal.

sidvan
07-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Nesta to Montreal is starting to warm up on the twitteverse. Being retweeted by DeVos. Alessandro Nesta has signed for Montreal Impact in MLS, where he joins Marco Di Vaio - via @CorSport (https://twitter.com/#!/CorSport)" Retweeted by Jason deVos (https://twitter.com/#!/jasondevos)

ManUtd4ever
07-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Fuck.

Pinkie
07-02-2012, 08:49 AM
well that fantasy was nice while it lasted...

boban
07-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Fantasy is right. Didn't expect much different honestly, considering its MLSE.

Gazza
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
I won't believe it until Duane Rollins confirms it.

Super
07-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Nothing is official yet.

ArmenJBX
07-02-2012, 09:24 AM
As I said, guest of Montreal. It always made more sense.

However, I think we have another italian centerback, or we're looking to make a trade.

v00d00daddy
07-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I won't believe it until Duane Rollins confirms it.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?3414

Additional sources close to Toronto FC’s front office confirmed to CSN that the club is chasing Alessandro Nesta. However, there was a suggestion that an internal conflict at the club was holding things up.

It’s said that Bob de Klerk is driving interest in Nesta, but that one of either Earl Cochrane or Paul Mariner is resisting the move. The nature of their resistance was not indicated.

The information differs slightly from what CSN was told last week. At that time multiple player agents strongly indicated that a deal was on the table. The agents said that they would be “very surprised” if the deal did not go through.

Fort York Redcoat
07-02-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm surprised that Di Viao is able to sell Nesta on Montreal before he had even played a game for them but there you go. I understand the prospect of playing there makes more sense to both of them.

"...And the Reds keep look-ing ON, ON, ON!!"

narduch
07-02-2012, 09:35 AM

Haha, that's called the 'covering your ass' follow up article.

The new excuse sounds totally absurd, although not surprising the way TFC is run.

Oldtimer
07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Confirmed to Montreal:

Google Translate:

http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.corrieredellosport.it%2Fcalcio_ mercato%2F2012%2F07%2F02-249547%2FNesta%2Bfirma%2Bcol%2BMontreal%253A%2Bin% 2BCanada%2Bcon%2BDi%2BVaio

Nesta signed with Montreal in Canada with Di Vaio
ROME - A couple who comes together after twenty years. Alessandro Nesta, Marco Di Vaio to reach Montreal Impact, the team for which the Bologna striker was signed two months ago. Together with the timing of the beginning in A, the jewel of Lazio Mimmo case that won the Scudetto in 1995, best friends, but divided by destiny sports, Di Vaio was to call Nesta on holiday in Miami to get him. Yesterday, the signature for one year. A piece of Rome and Lazio in Canada!

So Di Vaio was critical in getting the signature.

Suds
07-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Haha, that's called the 'covering your ass' follow up article.

The new excuse sounds totally absurd, although not surprising the way TFC is run.

Actually, I think it's very plausible the way TFC is run. They have come out on more than one occasion and said they discuss players as a group. When that happens you're bound to get situations where some people are hotter on a player than others.

v00d00daddy
07-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Confirmed to Montreal:

Google Translate:

http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.corrieredellosport.it%2Fcalcio_ mercato%2F2012%2F07%2F02-249547%2FNesta%2Bfirma%2Bcol%2BMontreal%3A%2Bin%2B Canada%2Bcon%2BDi%2BVaio

So Di Vaio was critical in getting the signature.

Things that worked in Montreals favour:

1. DiVaio
2. The shitshow that is TFC

LOL

Why would Nesta ever even consider TFC?

Maybe the Pre Mariner TFC....but the current incarnation? Not likely.

Oldtimer
07-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Like I said earlier in the thread, the problem with relying too much on bloggers is that they don't have to vet their articles through an editorial board.

Section 117
07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Duane is right with his post. This had been offered to TFC well over two weeks ago. Management decided they don't want him??? From my understanding it was our beloved football manager who turned him down

I guess Mariner doesn't want skill players on this team. Nesta doesn't play hoof ball and it will become quite obvious that Mariner equals route 1 football and if you are tall and fast and physical (skill not necessarily an trait that is required), the funny thing is the more I think about this the more I see parallels with the CMNT they for the longest time have preferred athletes to soccer players and TFC is becoming the same way now

On a side note I can see Frings and Kovermans leaving at the end of the season as they will be so fed up with the tatics or lack there of.

Stouffville_RPB
07-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Hahaha. Way to go TFC FO. Dropping the ball again.

I didn't think it was the best move to sign him but if it was as close to a done deal as everyone was being led to believe then it is another epic failure of FO. This team is a joke.

SoccMan
07-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Well we either better start winning some games and finish as one of the better teams until the end of the season or sign a big name that can still play, because if we do none of the above why would people want to renew season tickets. It will be a very hard sell unless they start doing something, now that we see an expansion Canadian MLS team signing players while we do nothing.

Super
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Nesta was spotted at BMO on Saturday. Now why would he travel to Toronto to watch our game if he'd already decided on Montreal? I think it's highly possible that he's right now looking at two offers - but no decision has been made yet.

narduch
07-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Nesta was spotted at BMO on Saturday. Now why would he travel to Toronto to watch our game if he'd already decided on Montreal? I think it's highly possible that he's right now looking at two offers - but no decision has been made yet.

I doubt this is true? He just left for a family vacation in Florida. So a day later he is in Toronto?

ArmenJBX
07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Step back from the situation for just one second.

There are reports in Italy that Alessandro Nesta, a legendary centerback, is close to signing for one of Toronto FC or Montreal Impact, in Canada.
It's amazing how far Canadian soccer has come that these kind of rumours are even happening :D

Maybe I'm just being a fool but whoever he chooses, it's still a major victory for our image as a nation.

CoachGT
07-02-2012, 10:17 AM
I suspect that a decision had not been made and two offers were on the table. If I was coming into a new league from Italy, I'd be thinking that I'd rather play on a team with someone I know, and Montreal has a more old world European feel than Toronto does.

Since this whole thing about a CB started, I've heard almost a half dozen names thrown around, all with varying degrees of "proof". I'm now skeptical of any name - I think that a bunch of people have been named but that nothing is really close enough to make anything happen. Everything is BS regardless of anyone's sources right now - we'll only know when there is a formal annoucement.

Beach_Red
07-02-2012, 10:39 AM
It seems so long ago now that MLS was giving "Executive of the Year" awards to MLSE and trying to keep Joey Saputo out of their little club.

Super
07-02-2012, 10:48 AM
I doubt this is true? He just left for a family vacation in Florida. So a day later he is in Toronto?

Denime said that MLSE gave him a private box.

Oldtimer
07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Armen is right, MLS has come a very long way.

I agree with Coach that the phone-call probably made up his mind. He probably hadn't decided on Saturday.

joeyjones
07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
On a side note I can see Frings and Kovermans leaving at the end of the season as they will be so fed up with the tatics or lack there of.

unless an injury is involved this is not happening, and if you would like to wager money on it, I'm here for you

jloome
07-02-2012, 11:06 AM

If his best source was a player agent, that's disgraceful reporting.

jloome
07-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Like I said earlier in the thread, the problem with relying too much on bloggers is that they don't have to vet their articles through an editorial board.

Neither do daily newspaper reporters. The editorial board is the group that decides on general direction on the op/ed pages, it has nothing to do with stories.

You're talking about an assignment editor and a desk editor. Nowadays, neither of them does much vetting either. The only way you can judge whether an individual reporter is accurate is on his track record.

A veteran reporter, based on the followup story, might still have used it depending on the past track record of the agent; but they'd have hedged it with "is in talks with" to ensure they didn't look like a jackass, if it fell through.

jloome
07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Duane is right with his post. This had been offered to TFC well over two weeks ago. Management decided they don't want him??? From my understanding it was our beloved football manager who turned him down

I guess Mariner doesn't want skill players on this team. Nesta doesn't play hoof ball and it will become quite obvious that Mariner equals route 1 football and if you are tall and fast and physical (skill not necessarily an trait that is required), the funny thing is the more I think about this the more I see parallels with the CMNT they for the longest time have preferred athletes to soccer players and TFC is becoming the same way now

As much as I respect that you have a track record for getting inside stuff right, this makes no sense.

They publicly declared interest; they wouldn't have done that if they weren't interested, period. It makes no logistical sense. They had him in at a private box; and they dropped two players to clear cap space, including an international slot.

No, we just got undercut by another team with better Italian ties, that's all. The original story was presumptive and he has stated his source was agents saying they'd be surprised if it didn't happen. That, in sports term, is about as shaky and shitty a source as you could have outside the player's mother.

So this just didn't happen. Maybe that's for the best. Fast league, slow legs.

v00d00daddy
07-02-2012, 11:29 AM
As much as I respect that you have a track record for getting inside stuff right, this makes no sense.

They publicly declared interest; they wouldn't have done that if they weren't interested, period. It makes no logistical sense. They had him in at a private box; and they dropped two players to clear cap space, including an international slot.

No, we just got undercut by another team with better Italian ties, that's all. The original story was presumptive and he has stated his source was agents saying they'd be surprised if it didn't happen. That, in sports term, is about as shaky and shitty a source as you could have outside the player's mother.

They publicly declared interest and then were publicly quoted saying that they hadn't talked to Nesta yet.

That was written off by many as management lying to avoid tipping their hand.

It looks like the lie may actually have been the Management team ever being seriously interested in the first place.

I don't think it was just the better Italian ties. I'd imagine it was also watching the teams first hand himself.

Who knows if he is going to do well here. He's one of the best central defenders of the last 10-15 years and if he can keep up he'll do just fine.

I think the most important thing that TFC missed out on was the opportunity to have a player of his experience run the back line and teach the young defenders how to play the position like a pro. Teach them the intricacies of being a defender.

Ah well.

Gazza
07-02-2012, 11:31 AM
So a blogger's unnamed sources are to blame for the misinformation? I thought you're only as reliable as your sources?

joeyjones
07-02-2012, 11:37 AM
or....or.....both the agent and TFC knew
that they could drive up the the price of Nesta
to Montreal by getting TFC in the mix:

agent leaks to TFC media that TFC is gonna happen, TFC
front office confirms interest, price goes up that Montreal
has to pay Nesta

Section 117
07-02-2012, 11:37 AM

Jloome the question to you is when has this team done anything that has made sense. I have different people telling me the same story. I believe that once the story came out it was damage control, the same with Plata and Dero to Celtic fiasco.

Our front office is a joke, our coach looks and acts like a clown on the touch line. If anyone had the option where would they sign a team with players you know in a decent city or to this place with the only thing we have is our city and the fans and we aren't even as good as we use to be?

narduch
07-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Its also possible that TFC was interested, but simply didn't have the money to pay Nesta. Maybe clearing Plata and Burgos off the roster wasn't enough.

Redcoe15
07-02-2012, 11:45 AM
That is the difference between a soccer club run by a rich fan of the sport (Montreal) and one run by a faceless money grubbing corporation (Toronto).

FUUUUUCK! :banghead: :prrr:

Pookie
07-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Re: Nesta - Impact not confirming anything other than an offer made. Won't comment on the story from the Italian paper. http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/07/02/impact-confirm-nesta-offered-contract-mum-status

Nesta to TFC or not... is this not concerning from the CSN piece?

"It’s said that Bob de Klerk is driving interest in Nesta, but that one of either Earl Cochrane or Paul Mariner is resisting the move. The nature of their resistance was not indicated."

Seems that firing Winter, while keeping TR and BDK and EC and PM all with their differing visions has resulted in ineffectiveness and dissent. Go figure.

Ajax TFC
07-02-2012, 12:24 PM

I still have trouble believing that we dropped Burgos and Plata for the cap space. When you need cap space you don't get it by dropping players that make next to nothing. Both of them made the equivalent of an off budget player. Dropping them probably moved two players of equal salary onto the cap budget. I'm also fairly sure that we already had an extra international slot

Just checked, and Burgos was tied for making the least money on the team, so he didn't count against the cap anyways. Dropping Plata maybe saves 5k in cap space (haven't bothered to count players making more than him to see if he was even on the cap budget in the first place, but I'm assuming he was)

Ajax TFC
07-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Re: Nesta - Impact not confirming anything other than an offer made. Won't comment on the story from the Italian paper. http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/07/02/impact-confirm-nesta-offered-contract-mum-status

Nesta to TFC or not... is this not concerning from the CSN piece?

"It’s said that Bob de Klerk is driving interest in Nesta, but that one of either Earl Cochrane or Paul Mariner is resisting the move. The nature of their resistance was not indicated."

Seems that firing Winter, while keeping TR and BDK and EC and PM all with their differing visions has resulted in ineffectiveness and dissent. Go figure.
isn't BdK now pretty much in PMs old role? looks like the roles are reversed, resulting in the same problems.

before: Football idealist as head coach, and MLS traditionalist in charge of finding players, while Earl cockrane fucks around

now: MLS traditionalist as head coach, and Football idealist in charge of finding players, while Earl cockrane fucks around

In short? it's all fucked up, firing one man didn't change anything

ag futbol
07-02-2012, 12:38 PM
isn't BdK now pretty much in PMs old role? looks like the roles are reversed, resulting in the same problems.

before: Football idealist as head coach, and MLS traditionalist in charge of finding players, while Earl cockrane fucks around

now: MLS traditionalist as head coach, and Football idealist in charge of finding players, while Earl cockrane fucks around

In short? it's all fucked up, firing one man didn't change anything
hey, hey, hey....

It's been nearly 48 hours and Cochrane hasn't done anything to embarass himself in the last two days... yet

BeachTory
07-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Returning Plata may bring back significant allocation. We got him through an exercise on a loan. The exercise is a transfer payment of sorts and that costs against the cap at least and may have been bought down through allocation. I could be that he is the one player outside the starting 11 that opens up significant cap/allocation and yet we keep a longer term piece of him.

Still, if this move was to be done to pay for incoming player, one would expect to SIGN the incoming player first, then pay for it through roster moves. Might explain the communications confusion of the last few days.

denime
07-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Additional sources close to Toronto FC’s front office confirmed to CSN that the club is chasing Alessandro Nesta. However, there was a suggestion that an internal conflict at the club was holding things up.

It’s said that Bob de Klerk is driving interest in Nesta, but that one of either Earl Cochrane or Paul Mariner is resisting the move. The nature of their resistance was not indicated.

HAHAHAHA,so much about Kockrane and Mariner did not stopped Winter to sign some good players for TFC in the past,they are still doing it.

BDK should sit in the corner and do nothing that can help the team,just like Mariner did it for last 18 months and wait for the right moment to tell Anslemi it's time to kick mariner and kockrane out if he want to look "good" once again.

It's obvious we have 3 stooges running TFC.

Oldtimer
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Cochrane is the most likely culprit, just like with the DeRo and Plata fiascos. Firing Winter by itself didn't solve a disfunctional FO.

ensco
07-02-2012, 01:18 PM
This is now a farce. In world football Serie A teams are the sharks, and teams like TFC and the Impact are the chum. This is far from over.

I'm very prepared to give TFC mgmt a hard time (I think Mariner's handling of the Plata thing is a joke) but not yet in this case.

The fact that the source is an agent ... really makes me think that this whole thing is a put on, designed to drive Nesta's price in Serie A. Di Vaio is just doing Nesta a favour by being a source on these stories.

Gazza
07-02-2012, 01:22 PM
This is a much more entertaining Muppet Show.

Tom Anselmi and Earl Cochrane as the critics in the balcony. Bob De Klerk as Fozzy Bear.

Paul Mariner as the Scientist, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew. And Paul Bierne as Beaker.

TFCRegina
07-02-2012, 01:50 PM
I actually don't think it was a bad decision to let him pass.

Yes we have holes at the back. I get that. Yes, he's a former world class player. I get that.

But there's a lot of central defenders out there that are younger, will cost less and can provide reasonable service on the backline. People keep talking about the players like they're horribly broken. I disagree with that.

The reality is, with a different coach, we're getting different results already.

Are we making playoffs this year? :D

No.

But we'll have a much better idea of what sort of holes need to be filled with a competent coach than we did with our departed Dutch Dictator.

Soccerpro
07-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Nesta isn't the way to build a team. Please, try to start from scratch like RSL did. Build, don't band-aid.

ArmenJBX
07-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Keep an eye out for Italian centerback Davide Zoboli instead, gents

jloome
07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
I still have trouble believing that we dropped Burgos and Plata for the cap space. When you need cap space you don't get it by dropping players that make next to nothing. Both of them made the equivalent of an off budget player. Dropping them probably moved two players of equal salary onto the cap budget. I'm also fairly sure that we already had an extra international slot

Just checked, and Burgos was tied for making the least money on the team, so he didn't count against the cap anyways. Dropping Plata maybe saves 5k in cap space (haven't bothered to count players making more than him to see if he was even on the cap budget in the first place, but I'm assuming he was)

a) you haven't answered any of the other points. Why would TFC come out publicly and why would he be at the NY game.

b) The cap space is largely irrelevant. They only need it to be enough to be a senior contract, as they're gonna cover the first year with allocation anyway and DP him once DeGuzman's gone, if they get a guy like this. So yes, Plata's 50K (not 5K) could have been important.

It's ludicrous to suggest this was kiboshed by TFC on the balance of evidence.

Ajax TFC
07-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Nesta isn't the way to build a team. Please, try to start from scratch like RSL did. Build, don't band-aid.
IMO we should try to sign him until next summer. Half year at low salary and half a year at double wages to cover the first half. I'm more interested in the experience he would bring than anything else. He could do a lot for Henry's development if paired with him.

ArmenJBX
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
UPDATE:

Got into contact with Davide Zoboli - he's on a boat returning home to Italy. He didn't say if the deal fell through or not but he told me he's heading home.

Ajax TFC
07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
a) you haven't answered any of the other points. Why would TFC come out publicly and why would he be at the NY game.

b) The cap space is largely irrelevant. They only need it to be enough to be a senior contract, as they're gonna cover the first year with allocation anyway and DP him once DeGuzman's gone, if they get a guy like this. So yes, Plata's 50K (not 5K) could have been important.

t's ludicrous to suggest this was kiboshed by TFC on the balance of evidence.
a) I'm not sure why I have to answer those points. I'm not trying to create evidence for or against the possible signing

B) Top 20 earners on TFC (players who count against the cap)

Avila
125,000.00$
158,000.00$

Cann
126,000.00$
134,750.00$

de Guzman
Julian
1,863,996.00$
1,910,746.00$

Dunfield
Terry
86,000.00$
86,000.00$

Eckersley
Richard
210,000.00$
390,000.00$

Frei
Stefan
120,000.00$
175,000.00$

Frings
Torsten
2,000,000.00$
2,413,666.67$

Hall
Jeremy
100,000.00$
149,000.00$

Harden
Ty
90,000.00$
98,666.67$

Johnson
Ryan

137,813.00$
137,813.00$

Koevermans
Danny
1,150,000.00$
1,563,323.33$

Soolsma
Nick
110,000.00$
110,000.00$

Aceval
Miguel
D
150,000.00$
199,086.72$

Silva Luis79,000.00$

Lambe
Reggie
M
60,000.00$
62,500.00$

Williams
Dicoy
D
52,500.00$
52,500.00$

Plata
Joao
F
50,000.00$
50,000.00$

TOR
Maund
Aaron
D
44,000.00$
59,000.00$

Henry
Doneil
44,100.00$
45,100.00$

Lindsay
Nicholas
F
44,100.00$
45,100.00$

Off Budget players: (21-27)
Kocic
Milos
GK
44,100.00$
44,100.00$

Makubuya
Keith
F
44,000.00$
44,000.00$

Morgan
Ashtone
D
44,000.00$
44,000.00$

Stinson
Matthew
M
44,000.00$
44,000.00$

Emory
Logan
44,000.00$
44,000.00$

Cordon
44,000.00$
44,000.00$

Roberts Quillan33,750.00$

If you were to bring in a player like Nesta without getting rid of Plata and his 50k, then Lindsay and his 45.1k would no longer count against the cap since he would no longer be among the top 20 earners. Your right, now that I bothered to take a closer look and arrange the salaries, it's not a difference of 5k, it's a difference of 4.9k

Gazza
07-02-2012, 03:57 PM
UPDATE:

Got into contact with Davide Zoboli - he's on a boat returning home to Italy. He didn't say if the deal fell through or not but he told me he's heading home.

He's on a mother effin' boat.

narduch
07-02-2012, 04:18 PM
He's on a mother effin' boat.

LOL.

Seriously, is this 1901? Who takes a boat to Italy from North America? Must be something lost in translation there.

ArmenJBX
07-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Either he lied to me or he's taking a boat from one European country back to Italy.

sidvan
07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
lots of ferries in use around Italy. Very common from Sicily etc.

Pookie
07-02-2012, 04:53 PM

I'm not sure I follow the logic in releasing a player to make room for a player you haven't signed in a league whose salary cap is not a "daily" one. Nesta if signed today for example, probably wouldn't be made available until Saturday at the earliest. That's plenty of time to figure out where to cut.

I also don't see any point in focusing on a salary cap when we know full well that allocation money is made available by the league to any team for any reason it likes and they never disclose the amounts. A player like Nesta would afford some how should we say, wiggle room, for a league that wants to put his name out there.

GlenM
07-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Crap sakes...

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=399778

GlenM