PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,Jun.26

denime
06-26-2012, 05:36 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Mariner Seeks Backline Leadership (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/06/mariner-seeks-backline-leadership)

Late game drama? Lost points? Business as usual for Toronto FC (http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2012/06/25/3199698/late-game-drama-lost-points-business-as-usual-for-toronto-fc)

Contrite Toronto FC rookie Luis Silva calls arrest in Houston ‘stupid mistake’ (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1217020--contrite-toronto-fc-rookie-luis-silva-calls-arrest-in-houston-stupid-mistake)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

Batman
06-26-2012, 06:35 AM
sad to read the news about Silva's dad passing away at 52.

Technorgasm
06-26-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm a mariner cheerleader.
I'm dinking the kool-aide.
this team is well broken, but we have the right man to fix it.
the past is our present. the future looks bright.

We could all spend counltess lines of text minging and whining abotu every decision, every move and every player.
what good is that going to do but increase the aggrivation.
time to condense the nonsense!

Embrace the squad.

CoachGT
06-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Plata RPB Man of the Year scarves arrived yesterday. I will have them at Shoeless this weekend!

Oldtimer
06-26-2012, 07:28 AM

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion.

I'm going to go out on a limb and state my own opinion:

TFC will not have a winning record while Mariner is at the helm.

We will see by the end of the season who is more right. ;)

__wowza
06-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Plata RPB Man of the Year scarves arrived yesterday. I will have them at Shoeless this weekend!

*squints* whose this guy? whose this plata you speak of?

TOBOR !
06-26-2012, 08:21 AM

We could all spend counltess lines of text minging and whining abotu every decision, every move and every player.

Embrace the squad.

I've read your posts - I sense you want PM to be the right man, and are trying to convince yourself he is.

It's all 'Whistling past the the Graveyard', innit ?

Red CB Toronto
06-26-2012, 08:31 AM
That is great to hear about the Plata scarves arriving, made my day. Looking forward to getting mine this Saturday.

Canary10
06-26-2012, 08:37 AM
I've read your posts - I sense you want PM to be the right man, and are trying to convince yourself he is.

It's all 'Whistling past the the Graveyard', innit ?

Mariner probably should get the remainder of the year to prove what he can do as head coach. But if I were MLSE, I wouldn’t be waiting that long to start the search for a new one.

TOBOR !
06-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Mariner probably should get the remainder of the year to prove what he can do as head coach. But if I were MLSE, I wouldn’t be waiting that long to start the search for a new one.

Yes, but who at MLSE is qualified to do that ?

tumbleweeds

Beach_Red
06-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Yes, but who at MLSE is qualified to do that ?

tumbleweeds

Can you imagine anyone from TFC going back into the boardroom at MLSE and asking for more money for another consultant to hire another coach? For that matter can you imagine anyone from TFC going into the boardroom at MLSE and asking for more money to hire another coach - they'd have to pay Winter and Mariner the rest of their contracts and pay the new coach.

Canary10
06-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Can you imagine anyone from TFC going back into the boardroom at MLSE and asking for more money for another consultant to hire another coach? For that matter can you imagine anyone from TFC going into the boardroom at MLSE and asking for more money to hire another coach - they'd have to pay Winter and Mariner the rest of their contracts and pay the new coach.

Let Rongen decide. Seriously.

TOBOR !
06-26-2012, 09:33 AM

oh, man... :facepalm:

Beach_Red
06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
oh, man... :facepalm:

Everytime I picture the MLSE board I see the woman who owned the Chiefs in Slapshot...

TOBOR !
06-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Everytime I picture the MLSE board I see the woman who owned the Chiefs in Slapshot...

Yeah, but at least she was hot - in a diabolical sort of way (or not so much, now that I just Googled her).

edit - no, wait - I'm thinking of Major League, but probably so are you.

ManUtd4ever
06-26-2012, 10:11 AM

Embrace the squad.

I agree. Unfortunately, many have already made up their minds regarding Mariner.

Beach_Red
06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah, but at least she was hot - in a diabolical sort of way (or not so much, now that I just Googled her).

edit - no, wait - I'm thinking of Major League, but probably so are you.

Good edit, I was getting worried ;)

No, I'm thinking of Slapshot. Paul Newman finds out who owns the Chiefs and goes to talk to her in her nice house and she says, "It's been so amusing reading about you in the press." She knows absolutely nothing about the team or the sport and her accountant has advised her to fold the team rather than sell it.

It is funny, though, how in all these movies the evil owners are always women (wasn't it the owner's daughter in North Dallas Forty? Or Semi Tough?) with alternative motives - maybe a Canadian movie will be made with the evil owners being a board of directors...

TOBOR !
06-26-2012, 10:36 AM
^right - gotcha - good laughs... seems that all you can do these days is laugh.

jloome
06-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Good edit, I was getting worried ;)

No, I'm thinking of Slapshot. Paul Newman finds out who owns the Chiefs and goes to talk to her in her nice house and she says, "It's been so amusing reading about you in the press." She knows absolutely nothing about the team or the sport and her accountant has advised her to fold the team rather than sell it.

It is funny, though, how in all these movies the evil owners are always women (wasn't it the owner's daughter in North Dallas Forty? Or Semi Tough?) with alternative motives - maybe a Canadian movie will be made with the evil owners being a board of directors...

In the new Sorkin drama The Newsroom, it's Jane Fonda. One senses mommy issues.

Has anyone told Anselmi that if he keeps running the team this way, he's a cocksucker, just like his kid?

It didn't work in Slapshot, either, but there are days when TFC could piss anyone off just that much.

jloome
06-26-2012, 10:43 AM
I agree. Unfortunately, many have already made up their minds regarding Mariner.

Holy irony Batman.

You just said you agree with a guy who is a "Mariner cheerleader" then say "unfortunately many have made up their minds regarding Mariner."

That cuts both ways.

Here's a suggestion for everyone: logic suggests we we don't have even close to enough info one way or the other to make up our minds, so let's all just keep an eye on results and play for awhile.

Personally, I think their teamwork, ethic and movement have actually improved under Mariner.

Conversely, I think his player suggestion suggests he does not judge talent as well as people think.

My jury is still well out, and I would suggest everyone else's should be. Cheer the team, sure. But there's no point being a cheerleader for someone until there's a reason; otherwise, people just end up convincing themselves to keep backing a horse to protect their own sense of humility, even if he comes up lame.

It's too early to say.

ManUtd4ever
06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Holy irony Batman.

You just said you agree with a guy who is a "Mariner cheerleader" then say "unfortunately many have made up their minds regarding Mariner."

That cuts both ways.

Here's a suggestion for everyone: logic suggests we we don't have even close to enough info one way or the other to make up our minds, so let's all just keep an eye on results and play for awhile.

Personally, I think their teamwork, ethic and movement have actually improved under Mariner.

Conversely, I think his player suggestion suggests he does not judge talent as well as people think.

My jury is still well out, and I would suggest everyone else's should be. Cheer the team, sure. But there's no point being a cheerleader for someone until there's a reason; otherwise, people just end up convincing themselves to keep backing a horse to protect their own sense of humility, even if he comes up lame.

It's too early to say.

I should have clarified. I believe that Mariner has the pedigree to lead TFC on a positive trajectory moving forward, but of course, it's too early to pass judgement one way or another.

Canary10
06-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I should have clarified. I believe that Mariner has the pedigree to lead TFC on a positive trajectory moving forward, but of course, it's too early to pass judgement one way or another.

It would be prudent to do a quiet search in the background though, no? Just in case October rolls around in we're not in good shape. I'd hate to see another January appointment.

Technorgasm
06-26-2012, 11:26 AM

You are 100% right!
The man has not been in charge long.
There is not enough data to say that he is the best man for TFC,
more importantly the man to turn this entire shit show around.

But, I like him, I want him to do well. I am behind him 100%!
Love his style, hope it pans out for him .

Is it too much to ask for soem positivity, and hope?
Trust me. . . its all we fuckign have down here in the deep dark basement. . .

http://youtu.be/fIzUTgtZ9_Q

ag futbol
06-26-2012, 11:30 AM
It would be prudent to do a quiet search in the background though, no? Just in case October rolls around in we're not in good shape. I'd hate to see another January appointment.
Absolutely!

I'm scared though, that this looming merger will scuttle a few things and hold up the whole process.

ArmenJBX
06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
In other news, the second article posted is by, well, ME! :D
Breaking borders and escaping from the Blogs thread into the Daily News threads :D

Give it a read, if you're so inclined. The statistics are shocking! Kenny Cooper scores the most last minute goals, Columbus has beat us at the dying moments the most times, and Toronto FC has dropped points 24 times in the last 10 minutes. There's way more, so head on over to goal.com

scooter
06-26-2012, 11:36 AM
mornin d

lets give mariner a chance---i think he can make something happen
we only need one experienced centre back who can marshall the d
and an attacking mid who can score goals

ag futbol
06-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Barrage of tweets from Larson (who I agree is one of the best covering TFC currently, as much as people might not like his pro-Mariner stance):

Plata out for tomorrow
Mariner says potentially multiple players coming in
Lindsay back to full training (gulp!)

ManUtd4ever
06-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Great news regarding Lindsay. I thought he was a very promising Academy prospect prior to his unfortunate snowmobile accident.

As for multiple players coming in, hopefully a reliable CB is one of them.

TOBOR !
06-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Holy irony Batman.

wha ? I think he's saying that many have made up their minds that Mariner isn't the right man for the job - right ?

ManUtd4ever
06-26-2012, 12:30 PM
wha ? I think he's saying that many have made up their minds that Mariner isn't the right man for the job - right ?

Yes, that's what I meant.

TOBOR !
06-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Sure... whatever.

ag futbol
06-26-2012, 12:41 PM
"All I need is a defender, a midfielder, and a striker"

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/bc/c0/40679a254cc48faccc961bee482c.jpeg

Pookie
06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
mornin d

lets give mariner a chance---i think he can make something happen
we only need one experienced centre back who can marshall the d
and an attacking mid who can score goals

I don't think anyone wants an 8th coach.

That said, holding Mariner accountable for immediate results is more than fair for this franchise.

1. It keeps pressure squarely on the one doing the hiring (or deferring the hiring decision to imaginary people)

2. Mariner isn't brand new. He has been here 19+ months. All this crap about Winter not letting him do his job is simply crap. Winter had a vision and Mariner's job was either to support it or get out of the way. Anything else is counterproductive (same for Cochrane and anyone else there). He appears to have single handledly changed the vision so it better work.

3. If Mariner simply demonstrates improvement (ie. a couple of wins but no miracle) that will be used as spin for season ticket renewals... guaranteed. Keeping expectations high is key to sorting through the inevitiable "It will be better next year" crap that we keep getting handed to us

As always though, if Mariner fails, I want a new leader to be hired first and then let them decide whether to keep him. If Mariner does improve slightly, it's not enough. New leader who makes a decision is the outcome I want. If Mariner succeeds and makes the playoffs this year, then I still want a new leader and Mariner obviously keeps his job regardless of the new guy.

3 Outcomes. Each with a new leader. A guy always wins in a 3 way.

greatwhitenorf
06-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Haven't seen this posted elsewhere.

Willy Anselmi died on June 23. The obit in Monday's Star doesn't specifically mention that son Tom is the MLSE honcho, but the picture of Willy certainly bears strong resemblance to MLSE Tom. So condolences to Tom if that's the case.

The obit mentions at length Willy's deep commitment to hockey and his love of the Leafs, so the boy's a chip off the old block. Shame dad wasn't a centrocampista.

And all you anti-Anselmi signwriters at BMO Field Saturday - Let's be careful, people, about who you target next.

bones
06-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Didn't see this in the news, but guess who the top player in MLS is?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/castrol

Pookie
06-26-2012, 02:13 PM
^ well earned DK

C.Ronaldo
06-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Bringing Dero back?

that would make me renew next year

Barrage of tweets from Larson (who I agree is one of the best covering TFC currently, as much as people might not like his pro-Mariner stance):

Plata out for tomorrow
Lindsay back to full training (gulp!)

__wowza
06-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Bringing Dero back?

that would make me renew next year

and here i wanted to see a lindsay/plata wing combo. fuck me that'd be one of the scariest, fastest attacks in all of the MLS. all we'd need is peter crouch.

ag futbol
06-26-2012, 03:49 PM
I desparately hope I'm wrong, but a multitude of knee injuries later, I suspect Lindsays professional career is already over. He'll probably be quietly released at the end of this year.

Auzzy
06-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Didn't see this in the news, but guess who the top player in MLS is?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/castrol

Danny K is too old, out of shape, doesn't care, bad signing, waste of money, didn't work right in the old and/or new system, we need to dump him to free up some cap space.

Wait, what?

Blizzard
06-26-2012, 06:54 PM
I desparately hope I'm wrong, but a multitude of knee injuries later, I suspect Lindsays professional career is already over. He'll probably be quietly released at the end of this year.

Not to be picky but it wasn't really a multitude of knee injuries. It was one MASSIVE knee injury.

Gringo Starr
06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Haven't seen this posted elsewhere.

Willy Anselmi died on June 23. The obit in Monday's Star doesn't specifically mention that son Tom is the MLSE honcho, but the picture of Willy certainly bears strong resemblance to MLSE Tom. So condolences to Tom if that's the case.

The obit mentions at length Willy's deep commitment to hockey and his love of the Leafs, so the boy's a chip off the old block. Shame dad wasn't a centrocampista.

And all you anti-Anselmi signwriters at BMO Field Saturday - Let's be careful, people, about who you target next.

If this is the case and it does seem likely, it think it would be classy to put aside the Anti Tom sentiment for this weekend's game. While I fully understand the anger directed at the FO, given the circumstances, it would seem to be in bad taste to have fire tom/fire anselmi signs at the game...

narduch
06-26-2012, 09:16 PM
If this is the case and it does seem likely, it think it would be classy to put aside the Anti Tom sentiment for this weekend's game. While I fully understand the anger directed at the FO, given the circumstances, it would seem to be in bad taste to have fire tom/fire anselmi signs at the game...

I disagree completely.

The next home game will probably be one of the only sell-outs all season with Henry and NYRB in town.

Better to keep the momentum of the pressure on Tom Anselmi going. While he may be facing personal tragedy that doesn't change the fact that he has done a piss poor job running TFC.

nascarguy
06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
cool see you at the next tailgate

Gringo Starr
06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
I disagree completely.

The next home game will probably be one of the only sell-outs all season with Henry and NYRB in town.

Better to keep the momentum of the pressure on Tom Anselmi going. While he may be facing personal tragedy that doesn't change the fact that he has done a piss poor job running TFC.

From a scheduling point of view I understand where you are coming from. NY is a high profile game and the next home games after that are midweek fixtures so who knows what the turn out will be like and yes Tom should shoulder much of the responsibility for the state of TFC and also MLSE is a cold hearted entity that gouges us at every turn and has never displayed any empathy towards its fan base. Just the same though Tom was someone who played a big role in bringing a team to Toronto and and should get some credit for the good times that came from supporting TFC. Granted that credit is pretty much spent, yet to me, calling publicly for someone's ouster a mere week after the loss of their father still seems a bit tackless, a bit like kicking a man when he is down. I don't care for Tom as a driving force within MLSE one bit, but at the same time I don't wish the man any ill will as a person. By the sounds of it his dad was a decent every man type of guy not unlike the people we all know, life long Leafs fan, hockey dad, etc. In this instance I'd rather show Tom the empathy that is rarely shown to fans of MLSE properties. The Redbulls game will be the best "marketing" opportunity for the anti Tom message but I'd like to think we as fans aren't as calculating and opportunistic as MLSE. Maybe I just have Stockholm syndrome...

Fort York Redcoat
06-27-2012, 08:25 AM
^Tom is in charge of more than one team. All we care about is his involvement in TFC to be clear. Until this becomes a united anti-MLSE march from all other fans Tom won't be on the street or anything.

Gringo Starr
06-27-2012, 10:29 AM
^Tom is in charge of more than one team. All we care about is his involvement in TFC to be clear. Until this becomes a united anti-MLSE march from all other fans Tom won't be on the street or anything.

I have to say written communication isn't my strong suit and it wasn't my intent to have the posts come across as holier than thou or judgemental in any way so I hope they didn't come across that way. The best part of TFC has been the support-something I don't do enough to propagate- so the last thing I want to do it shit on the effort and time people put into tfc related activities. Perhaps this situation is just hitting a bit close to home this week. I've lost a family member as well and while not unexpected it still stirs the emotions especially when you see the ramifications play out on people you are close to. I wasn't trying to be critical but perhaps just have people consider the human element given the circumstances...My apologies though if I offended anyone with the tone of the previous posts, after rereading them they come across far more judgemental than I ever intended. I think I'll digress from any further comment on the subject

Pookie
06-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I felt bad when I heard the news and wrote to him to express my sympathy. No one is a heartless bastard and losing a father is something we have all dealt with, or will deal with at some point in our lives.

Life does go on though and the issues surrounding this team don't go away. Much like Brian Burke, who lost his son and is still facing the media and fan challenges to this day, Anselmi chooses to make a living by running "our" football team and there are questions that we all have for him regarding its future.