PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Jun.25

denime
06-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Arrests could be blessing in disguise for TFC (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/24/arrests-could-be-blessing-in-disguise-for-tfc)

Repeating same mistakes (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/06/24/mls_toronto_fc_paul_mariner_new_england/)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

Technorgasm
06-25-2012, 06:44 AM
IF soolsma not playing means Lambe gets more minutes.
I'm all for it.
Talk of an exit for 'cap space' is a bit premature though. . .

Oldtimer
06-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Should the Reds manage to terminate a couple of contracts due to the arrests, having an extra $300,000 in cap to go about grabbing the central defender Aron Winter couldn’t find might start the process of turning the Reds in the right direction.

:facepalm:

We should expect journalists to know a little bit about the structure of the team they are covering, like it was Mariner's job to find that central defender.

scooter
06-25-2012, 07:17 AM
mornin d

they need cap space to bring in the new centre back they are talking too

denime
06-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Why they(Mariner-Cochrane) did not bring that CB while Winter was here,or during the off season or pre season?

and OT don't expect Journalist to know who is doing what at TFC FO,TFC FO has know idea why some people are there and what are they doing.

It is to expect all blame will go on Winter,it is easy to blame the guy who is not around anymore.

backbeat
06-25-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm all for it.

Soolsma was hands down one of the better players this year. oh ya i get it, we're playing kick and run with a screaming maniac on the sidelines....wonderful.. :facepalm:

Beach_Red
06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
:facepalm:

We should expect journalists to know a little bit about the structure of the team they are covering, like it was Mariner's job to find that central defender.

This has been the key problem with TFC FO - whose job was what, exactly? Winter was credited with bringing in Kouvermans and Soolsma and a few other guys so is it crazy to have expected him to find a ventral defender, too?

This is pretty much what Pookie is on about with roster management, it has always been a mess with TFC.

Greatest Ripoff
06-25-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm all for it.

Why? Soolsma actually has technical ability and would fit in the system that Mariner is trying to play while Lambe is a winger that can't do shit in this system. It's a total shit show out there.

And why does the media have such a hard on for Mariner and hate WInter so much? It's disgusting.

reggie
06-25-2012, 08:57 AM
I miss MO

Oldtimer
06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Why they(Mariner-Cochrane) did not bring that CB while Winter was here,or during the off season or pre season?

I'll bite:

Because they were setting up Winter to fail.

Of course, Winter aided them by being too inflexible (possibly due to inexperience). A really good coach could have gotten something out of this team even with the inexperienced backline. Winter wasn't good enough too handle the situation well.

Pookie
06-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Will post this in the blog section though wanted to give top billing to the Banner team for their efforts (and permission to use photo) as the weekend's banner is now on Sportsnet

http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012/06/25/toronto_fc_tfc_2012_mls_season_tom_anselmi_paul_ma riner/

backbeat
06-25-2012, 09:49 AM
I'll bite:

Of course, Winter aided them by being too inflexible (possibly due to inexperience). A really good coach could have gotten something out of this team even with the inexperienced backline. Winter wasn't good enough too handle the situation well.

maybe he was but he was better than where we're now headed imo - i would have liked to see some stability at the very least until the end of this year as frustrating as this start has been - in my mind we were headed in the right direction and as has been said it was Mariner's sole job to find talent, and he didn't. now he just runs up and down the sideline screaming and gesturing manically....maybe i'm just pissed and frustrated after 6 long years but i hate the fact we've gone to long ball - we look like England v Italy....a few moments of creativity and then total disorganization, actually england looked better...

Richard
06-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Why? Soolsma actually has technical ability and would fit in the system that Mariner is trying to play while Lambe is a winger that can't do shit in this system. It's a total shit show out there.

And why does the media have such a hard on for Mariner and hate WInter so much? It's disgusting.

My thinking is he is English and outspoken unlike Winter who was calm and collective so you never knew if hes was angry or happy. I dont care either way for me be honest except not look like a moneky on the touchline.

C.Ronaldo
06-25-2012, 10:05 AM
is bobby still around? will he be the next coach when mariner is fired?

Beach_Red
06-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I'll bite:

It's all speculation, but I think Winter was told that immediate results were not as important as implementing the new culture and he believed them. We heard so much about "progress" for so long and no talk about results. Of course no one expected the team to lose nine straight and maybe Winter wasn't the right guy for the job, but the way he was treated still isn't right - though it's the way everybody else associated with this team has been treated.

Ajax TFC
06-25-2012, 10:46 AM

because the media is made up of mostly traditionalist english soccer guys. They didn`t like Winter because he was bringing a European style, while they all wanted a traditional NA/english style. And most Media guys were writing him off as a fail pretty much before he even started. They love Mariner because he`s bringing back the traditional NA style that they all love, and also because he`s English. Guys like Larson (I know, not English, but still traditionalist) have been treating Mariner as the second coming since his first training session (that`s not an exaggeration.

Also, why are they now acting like Soolsma is a useless extra that if we can get rid of him, that`s a good thing?.

denime
06-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Repeating same mistakes (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/06/24/mls_toronto_fc_paul_mariner_new_england/)

It is a very inexperienced squad, as noted by Mariner, but that's not exactly a revelation we're just discovering now, so might it not be wise to have a more experienced coach in charge? Despite his years as assistant to Steve Nicol at New England, Mariner is still very inexperienced as a head coach, being the boss who makes the tactical decisions as well as mentally preparing the players. The problem is compounded by the earlier appointment of an equally inexperienced Jim Brennan to the assistant coach position. Of course every coach has to start somewhere, but does it always have to be TFC? Sadly, it's very much a pattern, as Mariner's 28-game stint at Plymouth Argyle actually makes him the second most experienced man to be given the position.
Hopefully he can learn quickly. As he also said in his press conference "you don't mind players making mistakes, but if they keep on making the same mistakes, that's a problem"
Yes, Paul, yes it is, and I'd say exactly the same about the coach.

Nicely written and spot on.

reggie
06-25-2012, 11:07 AM
the anti soccer pt 2...really how much shite must we take.
if they cut soolsma because he had a few in houston,thats a fucking joke, he didnt rape someone or got caught with drugs or had a gun on him.you cut him if he sucks has a player.
acieval sucks has a player so he can go.not because he had a few pops.

Auzzy
06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
From Kurtis Larson's Twitter, 1 hour ago:

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN
Amazing so many #TFC fans blame Mariner for not finding players for Aron Winter. #OutOfTouch

Then do please enlighten us, oh wise Kurtis Larson. WTF was Mariner doing for the past 18 months if he wasn't finding players for Winter? How about journalists start asking some tough questions, like WTF all these guys with strange titles at TFC/MLSE actually do, who the heck is actually in charge of what, WTF does "Director of Player Development" actually mean, etc? We were told at the beginning of the Winter era, that finding & signing players was Mariner's job. So it wasn't???

Mariner said in the past weeks after getting the coaching gig, that he didn't see much of the practices under Winter, that he was mostly working on international scouting and working with the Academy. (BTW, how many people are mucking about with management duties at the academy? How about spending some of that money on top coaches for every level? That's another topic though.)

So Mariner said publicly in an interview that he was working on international scouting under Winter. Who then is to blame for identifying & signing Andy Iro, Miguel Aceval, and Geovanny Caicedo? Who was supposed to find a backup striker for Danny K? Why are some journalists so quick to drink the Mariner cool aid? Please give us some more info Kurtis, otherwise you're just another guy talking shit. With the difference being, as a "professional" journalist, you should theorectically have more resources to chase down more of this story.

Pookie
06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
^ I've been chatting with him on Twitter about this.

The official job description that Anselmi fed us was "“Aron will oversee our entire soccer operation and set the soccer direction of Toronto FC. Paul will be responsible for our club’s scouting, player acquisition, player development and our Academy,” added Anselmi.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/new-management-team-announced

His reply was that Winter ruled with an iron fist and therefore Mariner had no input on any of that. Which would mean that when MLSE sat down with him to do a 6 month performance review and he said "uh, well yeah about that... I'm not doing any of that because Aron told me not too... ", they apparently said, "ok then, carry on"

brad
06-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Will post this in the blog section though wanted to give top billing to the Banner team for their efforts (and permission to use photo) as the weekend's banner is now on Sportsnet

http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012/06/25/toronto_fc_tfc_2012_mls_season_tom_anselmi_paul_ma riner/

Nice work on getting the banner up there.

Kansas have been at their 4-3-3 for five years? That's news to me. Any insight on why it took them that long?

Auzzy
06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
^^ Yeah, I saw a couple of people chatting with Larson & saw that exchange. Thanks for following up!

The condescension in Larson's original tweet really pisses me off. So we fans are "#OutOfTouch" if we expect Mariner to be working according to his job description? How about TFC being out of touch for setting up such a bizarre arrangement, guys with totally different philosophies supposed to work together? And the media being out of touch for not getting the full story? It's kinda their job.

I don't have time right now to find Mariner's quote from last week, can't remember if he said he was "working on" or "in charge of" international scouting. So was that a lie as well?

I have a really hard time imagining that Winter or BDK found Andy Iro...

It's all a shit show, everything will get spun in every which way. Now of course everything will be blamed on Winter or whoever else is gone. Meanwhile we've heard from other journalists that Winter never had management support to do his job or to succeed. WTF??????

Pookie
06-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice work on getting the banner up there.

Kansas have been at their 4-3-3 for five years? That's news to me. Any insight on why it took them that long?

Same challenge as Winter was having. Finding the players to play it and changing the mentality. That said, I don't pretend to be an expert on the inner workings of SKC.

Pookie
06-25-2012, 11:57 AM
^^ Yeah, I saw a couple of people chatting with Larson & saw that exchange. Thanks for following up!

The condescension in Larson's original tweet really pisses me off. So we fans are "#OutOfTouch" if we expect Mariner to be working according to his job description? How about TFC being out of touch for setting up such a bizarre arrangement, guys with totally different philosophies supposed to work together? And the media being out of touch for not getting the full story? It's kinda their job.

I don't have time right now to find Mariner's quote from last week, can't remember if he said he was "working on" or "in charge of" international scouting. So was that a lie as well?

I have a really hard time imagining that Winter or BDK found Andy Iro...

It's all a shit show, everything will get spun in every which way. Now of course everything will be blamed on Winter or whoever else is gone. Meanwhile we've heard from other journalists that Winter never had management support to do his job or to succeed. WTF??????

My gut feeling is that if Mariner fails, he will be removed and Jim Brennan will become Anselmi's last long shot at keep season ticket renewals at a reasonable level. He might combine this with a price freeze/slight decrease. If Mariner starts to turn it around, he will use that as the "hope" to go along with the ticket freeze.

No inside info on that. Simply an opinion.

Greatest Ripoff
06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Does Larson have some sort of connection with Mariner or the pro Mariner camp at TFC? He seems to be pushing the pro Mariner line pretty hard and he was also the person to break the arrest story form last week, which he is now reporting that TFC will use the arrests to get rid of a Winter player.

Maybe I am out lunch but I really don't like what I am seeing.

Pookie
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
^ Larson was also one of the first to tweet on the "night and day" difference at a Mariner training session v a Winter session.

That said, I have to assume there is no connection and he is simply just offering his opinion on the subject. His constant presence with the team may simply give him some access.

denime
06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
^ Larson was also one of the first to tweet on the "night and day" difference at a Mariner training session v a Winter session.

That said, I have to assume there is no connection and he is simply just offering his opinion on the subject. His constant presence with the team may simply give him some access.

Of course the practice was "day and night"coaching possession vs hoofball is totally different.

Ajax TFC
06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
^ I've been chatting with him on Twitter about this.

The official job description that Anselmi fed us was "“Aron will oversee our entire soccer operation and set the soccer direction of Toronto FC. Paul will be responsible for our club’s scouting, player acquisition, player development and our Academy,” added Anselmi.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/new-management-team-announced

His reply was that Winter ruled with an iron fist and therefore Mariner had no input on any of that. Which would mean that when MLSE sat down with him to do a 6 month performance review and he said "uh, well yeah about that... I'm not doing any of that because Aron told me not too... ", they apparently said, "ok then, carry on"
Winter ruled with an iron fist eh? that`s odd because he really doesn`t seem like the iron fist control freak kind of manager. Unwavering in his vision, but not a control freak. I`m going to guess that it was more that Mariner didn`t agree with the types of players that Winter wanted because they werent`t his type of players. I highly doubt that Winter took on the task of international and domestic scouting and player acquisition.

Ajax TFC
06-25-2012, 12:53 PM

After seeing one training session he said that after watch a Mariner training session it was that much more obvious that Winter had no idea how to run a practice. He also made a point to go on and on about how well the players were responding to Mariner and how upbeat they were. Of course ignoring the fact that there were plently of times under Winter when the team was upbeat during training.
He pretty much has his own vision of how the game should be played and practiced (the traditional NA kick and run style), and since Mariner plays that way he loves him, and since Winter didn`t he portrays him as incompetent.

reggie
06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
mtl to start Di vaio weds vs tfc,thats great.
mtl has scored 4 goals the last 2 home games,they must be licking there chops.
when was the last time we scored 4 goal at home(yr 1 VS DAL),i miss those days.

TOBOR !
06-25-2012, 01:25 PM
It sounds as though Mariner isn't just content with throwing Winter under the bus.

He wants to drive it over him as well.

wesvahr
06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Had a small conversation with Asif on twitter, says that Soolsma was a full participant in practice today, I didn't ask about Aceval since I don't care too much about him. Not sure if this is a good sign that Marnier will keep Soolsma or just for the public eye since it was an open practice and they still are trying to release him.

reggie
06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
whats the point of keeping him and plata...they have too much skill.

ManUtd4ever
06-25-2012, 02:21 PM
For the record, Kurt Larson is one of the most responsible journalists covering TFC, and I think his assessment is bang on.

backbeat
06-25-2012, 02:30 PM
For the record, Kurt Larson is one of the most responsible journalists covering TFC, and I think his assessment is bang on.

what assessment are you referring to?

the one where Mariner didn't really do his job of acquiring players in his previous role as he routinely said he was doing whenever interviewed about it before?? the players on the team were the responsibility of Mariner, otherwise what on earth has he been doing for 18 months??

ManUtd4ever
06-25-2012, 02:43 PM
what assessment are you referring to?

the one where Mariner didn't really do his job of acquiring players in his previous role as he routinely said he was doing whenever interviewed about it before?? the players on the team were the responsibility of Mariner, otherwise what on earth has he been doing for 18 months??

https://twitter.com/#!/KurtLarSUN

Auzzy
06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
I don't consider it "responsible journalism" when somebody says that fans are "out of touch" for expecting people at the club to be working according to their job description and according to how senior management introduced them to the public. Note also that Mariner said just within the last two weeks that he worked on international scouting under Winter.

I admit, Larson pays more attention to TFC than most. He's reported some really good info, but also also some garbage. It must be hard to cover this soap opera of a club even if you tried. If he asks 5 guys, he'll probably get 5 different stories (or maybe none). (Should the job description for a senior member of the club management really be such a difficult thing to get a straight answer to?)

BTW, Larson also tweeted today, in response to someone else, that hiring Mariner at the same time as Winter/BDK was "irresponsible."

Greatest Ripoff
06-25-2012, 03:04 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/KurtLarSUN

And his twitter feeds shows he has a clear bias towards Mariner. Mariner has been far from perfect since coming in but Larson hasn't done anything but dump on the players, supporters and prior regime (which Mariner was a large part of) while placing praise on Mariner.

So tell me how is that "responsible journalism"?

backbeat
06-25-2012, 03:12 PM
also if Mariner is now saying he wasn't performing the role he was hired for because Winter ruled with an iron fist then i lose a lot of respect for him for that. I mean if he just collected a pay cheque for 18 mths and it didn't bother him enough to say piss-off i'm out of here, that's not what i was hired for - to me that says a lot about him especially when he was interviewed and repeatedly said he was scouting the world for the type of player "Bob" needs. sounds like he speaks out of whichever side of his mouth he needs to.

ArmenJBX
06-25-2012, 03:12 PM
I think it's a little premature to dump on Paul Mariner.

As for Kurt Larson, the guy is a professional and one of the better reporters for TFC. Pro-Mariner or not, I don't see his tweets as anything more than a commentary on the current state of the team and the transition between managers. We all expected more from Mariner in terms of player acquisitions but in reality his influence was not as vast as it would have seemed it should be.

Just give it time. This season is basically...well...winding it's way to a close, and unless the team finds some CCL success, it's a matter of playing things out till more players/signings/changes can be made.

backbeat
06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
I think it's a little premature to dump on Paul Mariner.

As for Kurt Larson, the guy is a professional and one of the better reporters for TFC. Pro-Mariner or not, I don't see his tweets as anything more than a commentary on the current state of the team and the transition between managers. We all expected more from Mariner in terms of player acquisitions but in reality his influence was not as vast as it would have seemed it should be.

Just give it time. This season is basically...well...winding it's way to a close, and unless the team finds some CCL success, it's a matter of playing things out till more players/signings/changes can be made.

why? he's been here 18 mths collecting a pay cheque and now he says he wasn't allowed to do his job because winter was so tough and a control freak?? please give me a break. why wasn't he man enough to say, well i'm out of here then, not was i was hired for....i guess i'm just fed up with all of this...totally frustrating...

DoubleUp
06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
And his twitter feeds shows he has a clear bias towards Mariner. Mariner has been far from perfect since coming in but Larson hasn't done anything but dump on the players, supporters and prior regime (which Mariner was a large part of) while placing praise on Mariner.

So tell me how is that "responsible journalism"?

I thought I was the only that got this feeling.

Seems like the miscues in player aquisitions they(media/organization) are trying to make the fans/public believe that was Winters fault especially how he's not around to defend himself.

Every thing to do with this Organization is a shit show.:puke:

ArmenJBX
06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
why? he's been here 18 mths collecting a pay cheque and now he says he wasn't allowed to do his job because winter was so tough and a control freak?? please give me a break. why wasn't he man enough to say, well i'm out of here then, not was i was hired for....i guess i'm just fed up with all of this...totally frustrating...

If a company hired you, paid you well, and asked you to do nothing, you would walk away?
Sounds like a dream job to me

Auzzy
06-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Larson still pisses me off for calling fans "out of touch" for expecting Mariner to have worked according to his job description.

Larson also hasn't spent more than a few minutes looking at the stats RE Mariner, as has become clear in his interchanges with others on Twittter. Plus his fawning about players looking "bright" in Mariner's first practice a few weeks ago, and attributing that to Mariner himself, is the kind of stuff you would expect & understand from TFC's in-house PR guys, not from a supposed serious journalist. The boys had just come back from the international break, and they're trying to impress a new coach. Trying to read much into that practice is a joke.

None of this is meant as a big defense of Winter. He apparently wasn't the right guy for the job. Although Mariner will certainly be different, I just doubt Mariner will be much better. It's certainly way too early to claim otherwise, and the preliminary evidence is pointing in the wrong direction.

Auzzy
06-25-2012, 04:06 PM
There's #3 at practice today: http://instagr.am/p/MTPuQ6kp80/

That's Aceval's regular number: is that him? Name just looks a bit shorter on the back of the jersey.

Somebody else said that Soolsma is at practice as well...?

Greatest Ripoff
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
If a company hired you, paid you well, and asked you to do nothing, you would walk away?

Ins't that the problem with this club? Too many people being paid to do fuck all? And even worse are the ones who are getting paid while being a detriment to the club.

Do you think Mariner has been without fault so far in his 18 months at TFC? Because that is picture Larson is trying to paint. And to me that shows a bias towards Mariner. As Auzzy says, Larson is coming off more as a PR guy than a journalist right now.

v00d00daddy
06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
The fact that Mariner is sitting in the previous coaches seat and has the balls to actually say that it's a problem when players make the same mistake over and over again is fucking shocking. I can't believe he can say that with a straight face.

If he were a brand new guy brought in to fix the team I could understand it. If that were the case it would just be the new coach realizing the same thing that the previous coach figured out.

But he's not a new coach. He was part of the staff that selected the players.

This guys got a set of balls on him to say that shit with a straight face.

He's also got a set of balls to wear shorts on the sideline as a professional manager and rant around like a lunatic. LOL

On the Larson twitter shit...he's been sucking Mariners dick from day one. Might as well have Jimmy writing for the Sun on TFC. Who cares about this guys opinion anymore? He's just lost a follower.

Greatest Ripoff
06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
And why hasn't anyone from the media asked Mariner about the team only needing a "tweak" when it seems the whole philosophy and playing style of the first team has now changed under him?

It was clear Winter wasn't able to take this team where it needed it go, but would it not have made more sense to bring in someone who would actually tweak things and not tear down was was built over the past 18 months?

Does anyone know if things have changed with the playing style of the academy teams?

Ajax TFC
06-25-2012, 04:33 PM
has anyone even commented on how ridiculous this article itself is? you know, the suggestion that TFC should actually be trying to get rid of one of it`s most skilled players, who`s also a hard worker? Or is it since Mariner doesn`t rate him, then getting rid of him must be the best thing we can do

Richard
06-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Larson is a cunt for calling the fans out of touch, that has got to be the most retarded shit i have heard in a while. We see whats going on with this organization, we dont have to have inside info to understand every aspect of the managment at TFC is fucked to its core.

Backstabing politcal bullshit is what is going on, not actually trying to win games.

Auzzy
06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Post-practice interview with Mariner is up on the TFC website:

Silva, Aceval, and Soolsma are not officially suspended. The league investigation is ongoing. Any decisions (e.g., inclusion on roster or not) are Mariner's decision up to now. Mariner confirmed that Aceval & Soolsma trained today & are available for selection for the Montreal game -- Silva anyway since he was already back on Saturday.

Plata (hamstring) and Cann (knee) are still injured.

More talk about the "young" backline. He sidestepped the question whether TFC still needs to hire central defensive reinforcements, but mentioned that Cann & Williams are missed.

Beach_Red
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM

It would have to be a much, much longer contract because in a couple of years you'll be looking for another job and who will hire you?

ArmenJBX
06-25-2012, 05:54 PM
It would have to be a much, much longer contract because in a couple of years you'll be looking for another job and who will hire you?

DAIRY QUEEN! :D

But in all seriousness, I'm not the one hiring these guys, but in football, you work for your next paycheque (ahem de Guzman), and sometimes it doesn't matter where/when (ahem Drogba and Anelka in China)

denime
06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
has anyone even commented on how ridiculous this article itself is? you know, the suggestion that TFC should actually be trying to get rid of one of it`s most skilled players, who`s also a hard worker? Or is it since Mariner doesn`t rate him, then getting rid of him must be the best thing we can do

There are only 4 comments,there were 5 comments and 1st comment were poster asked how come Mariner is not responsible after being with the club for 18 months is GONE now.
Feel free to let him know how you feel:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/24/arrests-could-be-blessing-in-disguise-for-tfc

Ajax TFC
06-25-2012, 09:09 PM
There are only 4 comments,there were 5 comments and 1st comment were poster asked how come Mariner is not responsible after being with the club for 18 months is GONE now.
Feel free to let him know how you feel:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/24/arrests-could-be-blessing-in-disguise-for-tfc
good idea, I just did. was a pain in the ass to set up an account though. maybe I should set up a timer to see how long it takes for him to delete it

backbeat
06-25-2012, 11:54 PM

you're damn right!! geez, if you really believe you want a long term job in football, unless you're Cochrane or Brennan, wouldn't you have a modicum of self-respect? obviously, if what is being said is true he doesn't and if you believe it than he is nothing short of a weasel doing and saying whatever he can for position and money, CERTAINLY NOT FOR THE BADGE!!! the C@#T!!

ag futbol
06-26-2012, 11:43 AM
I know this was just joking around, but realistically that's not something you want to get known for ... unless the plan is to make this your last job.

But that being said, sometimes keeping your head down and not rocking the boat is what's called for.

Pookie
06-26-2012, 01:17 PM
If Larson is right and Mariner was hired to do scouting, player acquisition and player development but wasn't allowed to, it appears that:

1. There is no leader in charge able to step in and sort it. Imagine this happening at your place of work. Where a mid-manager dictates the role and responsibility of another middle manager and the VP does nothing about it. I can't.

2. Mariner had a choice. Follow or get out of the way. If Larson is to be believed, he chose to get out of the way.

3. If he backed off quietly, it means he offered nothing to this organization for over 18 months.

4. If he backed off but was passive aggressive about it, it means he effectively sabotaged the vision Winter was trying to implement his own vision.

Interesting in all of this is that Rongren and de Klerk still have a job here. In fact, de Klerk appears to have been shuffled to the only job Mariner is rumoured to have performed, International Scouting. Which seems to mean that either they both have come along for the 4-4-2 and WalMart inspired sideline attire show and abandoned their beliefs in "Total Football" or there is still a faction within the management team. That would mean that both are collecting a cheque until something better comes or the offseason rolls around. Whichever comes sooner.

I know John Carver said he left because of MLS officiating. I really question that now and would love to know if that is the real story. Seems like he had the most sense of anyone to get up and go.