PDA

View Full Version : Come Experience BMO field

Code Red
06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aom7cHx3ATs

Just finished submitting this to MLSE FO:

To MLSE:

Please stop using ignominious tactics and marketing to sell the experience of BMO Field. Using actors/actresses to place your product on a pedestal is not a very convincing method. Instead of hiring these individuals to glamourize the gameday experience, why don't you focus on bringing in the right mix of players / management personnel which in turn, will generate on-field results? I shouldn't have to say this but by default, this will fill the stadium to capacity or at the very least near-capacity.

We, the supporters, have stuck with this club since its inception. We have been loyal. Isn't it about time that you, the organization, step up and present your dedicated fanbase with something memorable, say, a competitive squad? Marketing without results will yield failure, afterall, this not season one but season six.

Let's restore some dignity to this franchise.

Sincerely,
TFC Supporter

ManUtd4ever
06-22-2012, 01:34 PM
A few of the girls in the video were pretty hot though...

g:D

TOBOR !
06-22-2012, 01:34 PM
maybe the club should hire some actors to play the part of a decent football team... hell, then they may as well make a movie.

jabbronies
06-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Everyone knows about TFC. They also know that they are shit.
If they weren't shit, people would come to the stadium.

Easy fucking solution to filling up the empty seats

bigredone
06-22-2012, 01:46 PM
It is shit like that video that ensures I will be listening to conversations about facebook and makeup around me at the games by people who show up 1/2 hour late. I thought I saw a few snookis in that video.

Phil
06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I had to watch that. It could have been way worse, LOL.

Anyhow, I agree that the product on the field should put the people in the stands. Get some real change going and install people in positions that are meaningful and accountable. Provide direction from execs that know the sport, not that manage money.

Suds
06-22-2012, 01:51 PM

Have to agree. I more pissed about that than anything.:)

Code - I hear ya bro. We all just want to see results these days. But let's remember there was a time TFC did no marketing at all. At least someone is realizing they have to work to engage footy fans to come to the games.

As for me, I think any marketing that does not result in free beer is pointless. Give me beer or give me wins!

maybe the club should hire some actors to play the part of a decent football team... hell, then they may as well make a movie.

That's funny!! :smilielol5:

Fort York Redcoat
06-22-2012, 02:00 PM
I know they play sawccer there but are there hawt chix? Daaaaaaammmmmm I'm so there bro!

I am not the target.

Jack
06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

Let's focus on the atmosphere (not even really captured in the video) because the on-field product isn't bringing anyone through the gates.

ag futbol
06-22-2012, 02:14 PM
"Hey everyone, BMO field is sooo cool, let's all go down to BMO field and show everyone how cool we are!"

"Who plays at BMO field again?"

"Not sure... is there even a game on?"

"I dunno, but I feel pretty awesome holding this $15 carlsberg"

Code Red
06-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Code - I hear ya bro. We all just want to see results these days. But let's remember there was a time TFC did no marketing at all. At least someone is realizing they have to work to engage footy fans to come to the games.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine to market the team, but do it PROPERLY. When I say do it properly I mean show the atmosphere of the game, the supporters in the south end and their reaction to the play/goal, players scoring goals and their reaction to those goals... etc.

Portland and Seattle are a prime example of showcasing the best of their supporters groups and it works to perfection since their respective stadiums are filled to capacity. They don't need to rely on actors, only their SGs which make the gameday experience for them.

If I wanted to see some hot chicks I could use any number of mediums for that, both online and the real world. Unless I plan to spend my gameday experience on the lookout for supermodels, this form of advertising is hardly going to encourage me to go to the games.

To me, this smells of desperation. MLSE is so desperate to fill the seasts, they're willing to scour universities and pay decent looking chicks to appear in their marketing campaigns. Lame as hell but if it works then all the power to them.

ManUtd4ever
06-22-2012, 02:32 PM
If TFC shits the bed for the rest of the season, next year the FO should do what the nightclubs do to fill the joint, and let in all the hot chix for free.

arsenal
06-22-2012, 02:35 PM
I guess now we know what kind of talent the front office has been scouting.

WestStandGeoff
06-22-2012, 02:40 PM
It is shit like that video that ensures I will be listening to conversations about facebook and makeup around me at the games by people who show up 1/2 hour late and leave a 1/2 hour early. I thought I saw a few snookis in that video.

Fixed.

Just One Man
06-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Of the 67 seconds in that video, there was a total of 3 in which a TFC player was shown.

Good to see MLSE has their priorities straight.

TOBOR !
06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
I think part of the problem is that the footage they want to show isn't consistent with the atmosphere now.

They'd be better of saying something like "this is how it used to be, please help us make it like that again"

Code Red
06-22-2012, 03:03 PM
LOL moment...

0:19-0:22

Wtf is "socco"?!

Also 0:29-0:34... "It's always a good time when you go with a lot of people and you connect more with your friends and family I think" ...MLSE going for numbers here.

canadian_bhoy
06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
So like, me and my friends we like, totally went to see TFC. And my friend jennifer was all like "uh, I don't even know what's happening, this game is stupid" and I was all like, shut up, this is like so much fun. There were these cute guys there and I totally got one of them to give me his scarf (OMG) then he totally like gave me some Smirnoff Ice and I was like drunk. and I was all like Whoooooooo hahah, it was so fun. And then the crowd was all like Fuck you Ref, because I guess some guy like fell down or something. I didn't even know what was happening but it didn't matter because it was so rad. Then there was like this guy in the stadium with like no shirt on and I was like woah, crazy. he was like super hardcore fan dude. I went into his section and took pictures - he was waving his scarf and it was sooooo crazay.

TFC games are like, super fun, because you don't have to watch the game and you can totally meet hot boys and get really drunk and just go crazy.

Its so much super fun. I love it.

Signed - some 18 year old broad.

spark
06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Hahaha oh man that was something. The best line was "It's always a good time when you go with ALOT OF PEOPLE ... " ie - we have LOTS of tickets available so bring as many people as you can!

I mentioned this in another thread how in 07 I tried to organize a stag to watch a game and there was no hope in hell of getting in and the ticket agent was like haha yeah sorry. This year there was a stag of about 20-25 dudes in my section with room to spare.

Compare this video to that one RSL put out with all the players and the fortress theme.

This video reminds me of Jilly's where there's hot girls on the outside and when you get in you spend 5X the money you ever would you're disgusted with everything you see

Code Red
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
So like, me and my friends we like, totally went to see TFC. And my friend jennifer was all like "uh, I don't even know what's happening, this game is stupid" and I was all like, shut up, this is like so much fun. There were these cute guys there and I totally got one of them to give me his scarf (OMG) then he totally like gave me some Smirnoff Ice and I was like drunk. and I was all like Whoooooooo hahah, it was so fun. And then the crowd was all like Fuck you Ref, because I guess some guy like fell down or something. I didn't even know what was happening but it didn't matter because it was so rad. Then there was like this guy in the stadium with like no shirt on and I was like woah, crazy. he was like super hardcore fan dude. I went into his section and took pictures - he was waving his scarf and it was sooooo crazay.

TFC games are like, super fun, because you don't have to watch the game and you can totally meet hot boys and get really drunk and just go crazy.

:smilielol5:

Pookie
06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
I sure wish we would stop using the word "product" to describe what we care about.

To me, a better run organization would bring the confidence of fans to stay with the team. It isn't about an "entertaining product." It's about a commitment to a competitive drive that we all share and embracing (instead of exploiting) those that provide it funds to achieve its competitive goals.

As for the video. BS. There is no excitement leading to kick off. That disappeared after season 3.

Want to know why many aren't coming out to "experience BMO Field"? Quick check of ticketmaster says to take a family of 4 would cost $278 + taxes to sit in 108. It's a $400 day out with parking and a few snacks.

You can get 4 SEASON passes to Wonderland for less than $400. That's an "entertaining product."

tfcfan2011
06-22-2012, 03:40 PM
i seriously fucking hate this shit from the FO. canadian bhoy sums that video up nicely. security should be doing pat downs for 'bump-its'. i should bail on this garbage "product".

Auzzy
06-22-2012, 04:57 PM

Two contenders for POTD!

denime
06-22-2012, 05:00 PM

OMG :smilielol5:

bigredone
06-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Fixed.

Veeeerrry true. Thanks!
Did anyone notice one of the euro commercials had some cute lookin' chick in a German jersey giggling. That was her contribution to the commercial, cute and giggly. This type of advertising is everywhere. I would have rather have seen the fattest, hairiest German cheering on his team with war paint on than some cute giggly chick. Don't get me wrong there is a time and place for cute giggly chicks, but not football advertising. If the girl was screaming war hymns at the top of her lungs, sure!

Sorry, only place that I can rant about that commercial, thanks Code Red!!!!!

bigredone
06-22-2012, 05:47 PM
They (MLSE commercial) did have one good part though, D.K.

Nestease
06-22-2012, 05:58 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/8vnjir.jpg

Code Red
06-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Veeeerrry true. Thanks!
Did anyone notice one of the euro commercials had some cute lookin' chick in a German jersey giggling. That was her contribution to the commercial, cute and giggly. This type of advertising is everywhere. I would have rather have seen the fattest, hairiest German cheering on his team with war paint on than some cute giggly chick. Don't get me wrong there is a time and place for cute giggly chicks, but not football advertising. If the girl was screaming war hymns at the top of her lungs, sure!

Sorry, only place that I can rant about that commercial, thanks Code Red!!!!!

lol Glad I could be of help.

As for the fat German, are you sure you don't want to retract from that comment? g:D

http://gamerlimit.com/files/2009/10/12-e_honda_street_fighter-BAD-9.jpg

Gringo Starr
06-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Hmmm chicks, beers, dj. I guess if you can't take the players to a nightclub you might as well bring the club to the players...

Auzzy
06-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Oh god, I just tried to watch the video, I can only handle about 20 seconds of it, stopped it right there.

Petor
06-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Tried to post a response on the youtube site but it won't let me, maybe in hind sight I should have posted first then disliked the video.
Oh well, here is what I tried to post anyway, the grammer might be a little off but I'm still steamed.
It's probably the first TFC video that I have ever disliked, and I'm an easy going guy. ;)

Why are you doing this to us? Spend that money and effort that your commercial cost you on scouting, coaches, trainers and upper management . Build a better team, then you don't have to embarrass the supporters with this silly commercial.
Winning on all fronts, field, management and supporters is needed, you can't remove any one of them or it will all come tumbling down.
We need a CLEAR vision from the top down and I don't see this happening anytime soon.

brad
06-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Pretty lame.

But they are going to do whatever they can to sell tickets. They've done the authentic football attempt. That's no longer doing it for them, now we have lame fake videos. Next up - hotdog deals for family's and cheerleaders.

__wowza
06-22-2012, 08:59 PM

oh god i lol'd.
you forgot about the part where they spent 10 minutes trying to take a picture of herself and her friends with her cellphone.

MarkEightThree
06-22-2012, 09:33 PM
How come I've never seen Socko at BMO Field?

http://images.wikia.com/prowrestling/images/7/72/Mrsocko.jpg

SuperTCP
06-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Although I agree with Code Reds letter, as money should best be used to fix the product on the pitch. The girls in this video are not models. They were invited group ticket leaders to discuss reasons they go to games to help promote group sales etc. They recieved no payment.

canadian_bhoy
06-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Look on the bright side, at least the on field product isn't the worst thing associated with this club anymore.

james
06-23-2012, 08:39 AM
blahhh cringe worthy, i couldnt watch the whole video!

For fuck sake i dont know what is worse the old BMO adds making TFC fans look like gladiator greek warriors or this. Im going to go with this is even worse!!!

MG42
06-23-2012, 08:48 AM
sad...how about trying to get supporters back in the stands instead of one time photo-opers

SoccMan
06-23-2012, 08:50 AM
The problem from the start was an organization buying a team in a sport that no one in their organization had any interest in before. MLSE had no knowledge about the sport or the league. Therefore, because of that bad decisions were made from the start. I also think the fact that BMO was packed from the start the on field product was almost ignored,no need to improve the product on the field when the stadium is always full. We must also remember that many people went to games in the first few years because it was new, not because they had a real passion for the game. I know of many people who gave up season tickets not because of the product on the field but more to do with just losing interest in going to the games, been there done that attitude. However, winning will put a few more people in the stands, but the people who MLSE are trying to get to the stadium with this kind of advertisement, they are long gone and never coming back.

AL-MO
06-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Look on the bright side, at least the on field product isn't the worst thing associated with this club anymore.

The product on the field is as bad as anything else and has been that way for years.

AL-MO
06-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Although I agree with Code Reds letter, as money should best be used to fix the product on the pitch. The girls in this video are not models. They were invited group ticket leaders to discuss reasons they go to games to help promote group sales etc. They recieved no payment.

Who cares? It was still a fluff piece.

ensco
06-23-2012, 10:07 AM
This video is hurtful but speaks the truth. It's painful to face the reality.

The problem is a soul-destroying epidemic in sports, and particularly acute for this team, which is a far-flung outpost of a large entertainment company, that has an utterly different understanding of its "customers" than anyone on this board would.

ryan
06-23-2012, 10:23 AM
What a steaming pile of shit.

james
06-23-2012, 10:25 AM
thing is most marketing and advertising people don't understand the soccer world. Its not like the NBA, NHL, MLB or NFL where everything is built around fake atmosphere of music and stupid anouncements and score boards, and advertising those sports is all about family fun, and look how great it is. Its all manufactured, soccer is different, the atmosphere is created by the fans not the other way round. I could do a better job working for them, in fact they should just hire some real Usec, Red patch boys or even general fans to do these videos!

ag futbol
06-23-2012, 10:57 AM
thing is most marketing and advertising people don't understand the soccer world. Its not like the NBA, NHL, MLB or NFL where everything is built around fake atmosphere of music and stupid anouncements and score boards, and advertising those sports is all about family fun, and look how great it is. Its all manufactured, soccer is different, the atmosphere is created by the fans not the other way round. I could do a better job working for them, in fact they should just hire some real Usec, Red patch boys or even general fans to do these videos!
Well there's the thing: AT THE VERY LEAST, those leagues can fall back on being the best in the world. Even if they field bad teams year, after year, the customer still gets to see something, from the other team or whatever. They also benefit from being able to draw the corporate crowd due to high quality facilities, BMO field in comparison is a dank hole. But I don't think we should get all high and mighty about our sport, it's getting infected by dollars the same way everyone else's is. Basketball, Hockey, baseball, and football all have real fans, although you might not always see them at the stadium due to outrageous ticket prices.

As much as MLSE will try to sell TFC in some other manner, without results on the field it's not going to come off. They might as well be trying to market backstreet boys CDs with this marketing push. TFC stopped being trendy a couple years ago and they'll have to figure out some way to get people to the field.

DangerRed
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM

And there you have it, in case anyone was wondering why they're using random 20-something girls who admit match day is "fun" even though they don't understand/appreciate the game "and the way it's played" to sell bottom-of-the-table football. :facepalm:

MG42
06-23-2012, 11:22 AM
it's so ridiculous and fake it reminds me of the SNL commercials like bad idea jeans, the lung brush, super colon blow etc etc

ManUtd4ever
06-23-2012, 11:22 AM
And there you have it, in case anyone was wondering why they're using random 20-something girls who admit match day is "fun" even though they don't understand/appreciate the game "and the way it's played" to sell bottom-of-the-table football. :facepalm:

If it wasn't already obvious, I was trying to make light of the situation.

It's important to have a sense of humor in life. Sheeesh.

DangerRed
06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
If it wasn't already obvious, I was trying to make light of the situation.

It's important to have a sense of humor in life. Sheeesh.

You sure? Your reaction was "there are some hot girls on the screen," which is what they were going for, even though you were making light of it. The ad works, and you prove why, regardless of whether you're taking the piss or not.

ManUtd4ever
06-23-2012, 11:57 AM
You sure? Your reaction was "there are some hot girls on the screen," which is what they were going for, even though you were making light of it. The ad works, and you prove why, regardless of whether you're taking the piss or not.

LOL, yes I'm sure. I've been a seasons ticket holder since day one for all the right reasons.

Yes, it's a blatantly pathetic marketing campaign targeting a certain demographic market, but I'm not offended by it. I find it amusing.

To each his own.

Oldtimer
06-23-2012, 12:49 PM
This video shows all that has been wrong about BMO Field since the early days.

As far as advice to ML$E, cut your prices and put something watchable on the field.

cmonyoureds
06-24-2012, 08:58 AM
I went and experienced BMO field yesterday. Middle of the Euro's, footy interest should be sky high in the city, perfect weather. What should be new manager excitement. and...............

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of empty seats. There were NOT 18 000 in attendance no matter what weird science they use to come up with the number. At one point 112, the home of the "guaranteed sold and attending" fans had 2 full empty rows (unheard of) and many other seats unfilled. (not a criticism of that section, just an observation).
Over in the other "support sections" i.e. 110 + 111, seats usually guaranteed to have footy fans were filled with tourists and people who generally didn't know much about the game other than "what they wore, and who they did last night" (yep, the actual conversation I had to listen to)

BMO....you have a problem!!!!

james
06-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Not saying these adds are perfect for everyone, but they better then the promo just shown.

HZf6Crc78Zo

nlSSGt938F0

even this add i really liked back in year 1. It's simple, little funny and not over the top, not saying anything really and not making the game day exsperience better then it really is.
mogjOnhMLC0

then you get stupid adds like this one, since when did we ever look like this? so stupid.
AduWZk_Kxsw

Pinkie
06-24-2012, 09:45 AM
holy shit this video makes me rage. who the shit at the FO thought that was a good idea.

greatwhitenorf
06-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Like everything else about TFC these days, lamentably weak. This is a sure sign that the marketing dept. has given up all sense of dignity.

I'm keeping my dignity. The last two seats I own won't be renewed.

Since year one, I've spent over two grand each season and sacrificed perfectly good weekend time to enjoy the game. But this isn't enjoyable anymore. It's pathetic.

And it's going to be perpetually pathetic until management at the top is completely overhauled. As this video makes clear, they've ended all attempts to think with their brains and are now thinking with their dicks. Obviously, not much to work with.

Back to the golf course I and I wallet will go. Hot girls there as well, piloting the bar carts.

Pinkie
06-24-2012, 10:03 AM
V0R3DJTrfI8

nothing beats this commercial

canadian_bhoy
06-24-2012, 10:51 AM
HAHA.
http://i45.tinypic.com/1ywncz.png

Toronto
06-24-2012, 12:02 PM
V0R3DJTrfI8

nothing beats this commercial

Lombardo would a starter on this year's dog breath of a team.

james
06-24-2012, 06:04 PM

yup thats what i would be exspecting to attract from this add!!

DOMIN8R
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
I can't quite put my finger on why I find this insulting to the fan base. Perhaps, because it doesn't promote the beautiful game as much as it promotes girls, sunshine, beer and not what makes the game day experience. Are they no longer promoting TFC to football enthusiasts? Maybe they've given up on trying to earn the true fan base back?

Somebody throw me a bone.

tiberius
06-24-2012, 08:10 PM
I can't quite put my finger on why I find this insulting to the fan base. Perhaps, because it doesn't promote the beautiful game as much as it promotes girls, sunshine, beer and not what makes the game day experience. Are they no longer promoting TFC to football enthusiasts? Maybe they've given up on trying to earn the true fan base back?

Somebody throw me a bone.

I don't think we should be too hard on the poor old Toronto FC front office - if a couple dozen of those valley girls showed up in 112 I am sure everyone would make room for them! :)

The FO has been doing their homework by sending an intern to the RPB site to find out how to fix the club. Unfortunately the intern noticed the daily sunshine girl, got distracted and lept to the conclusion that more sunshine girls will produce more revenue for the club... One of these days they will hire an intern who will have an epiphany that experienced football management produces good football on the pitch and that then increases revenue.

Until that day arrives, I guess we are stuck with valley girl promotions. Look at the bright side - they are pretty easy on the eyes...

Nuvinho
06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
That was horrible. I feel ashamed....for the front office.

I am in marketing, and that was soooo bad.

What's next - stripper poles in the Carlsberg Patio and girls from the Brass Rail doing halftime shows? That's probably their next idea.

tfcleeds
06-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Sex sells. At least MLSE know marketing basics.

Red CB Toronto
06-24-2012, 09:46 PM
So what was the deal with the TFC dream job contest, we're there not two winners, have never seen Bobby in any videos yet.

khso11
06-25-2012, 01:25 AM
WTF, I thought that vid was a parody for jersey shores commercials

Batman
06-25-2012, 06:42 AM
I really don't think we should be too hard on the front office for this sort of thing.

Certain people have a marketing job to do..

What the fuck else can they sell about this team..

It's not like the on field product is all that appealing.

How about:

"Hey do you want to come out and watch us cough up another one..
We've sucked for six years.. and we still suck.
Now that's TFC TRADITION.
40 more years of this and we'll be as hot as the Leafs!"
Get your tickets now!"

ryan
06-25-2012, 07:54 AM
I really don't think we should be too hard on the front office for this sort of thing.

How about:

Get your tickets now!"

Doesn't mean they have to use pictures with acted excitement in a fake game setting.

jabbronies
06-25-2012, 08:00 AM
This video is fake and lame. The content screams of a corporation trying too hard.
They have missed the mark on this one. To assume this would appeal to casuals is a slap in the face to those they are marketing to.

james
06-25-2012, 10:36 AM
They tried to hard and fucked up, just like BMO had a good add the first year and then following year made TFC fans look like we were all Greek warriors, people have just lost there heads over the years. Just go back to the basics!

khso11
06-25-2012, 11:13 AM
If they are using these girls to lie about the atmosphere, they might as well just show those 2007 videos of fans jumping up and down and mash it up with the 2012 plays.

Batman
06-25-2012, 12:41 PM
I can't get worked up about it.. there's way more important issues to address with this club, than lame marketing.

TOBOR !
06-25-2012, 01:02 PM

Good point Bats.

Think about it folks. Imagine you're the Director of Marketing for TFC.

It's either this, or "we're shit, and we know we are".

bigredone
06-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Good point Bats.

Think about it folks. Imagine you're the Director of Marketing for TFC.

It's either this, or "we're shit, and we know we are".

Poking fun at oneself is a good way to ease the pain.

__wowza
06-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Poking fun at oneself is a good way to ease the pain.

beer helps. before and after. :drinking:

Corpand
06-25-2012, 01:24 PM
That was absolutely embarrassing.
As a lifetime supporter, watching this makes me feel completely disconnected from the club and fills my heart with all the wrong emotions. Marketing is indirectly spitting in my face.

I understand revenue is important but how dare you sleaze up the clubs image while trying to get more asses in the seats? "This is our house"? What, are we spinning "house" music during the games, drinking beer and partying till 2am? Spray tans?
Give me a fucking break, keep alienating the people who actually CARE about the club, see where that takes you come game day. I find it harder and harder to support our boys when steaming shit like this gets released, how do you think they feel when they see an ad like this?

Show the players, show the fans. Show the coach, try to salvage some dignity from this season. Don't show me good looking girls (paid, unpaid. Couldnt give a rats ass. What the hell is "socco" anyway?). This ad is completely unprofessional and oozes desperation. Why keep digging your hole even deeper??

At the moment, TFC - RIP. I don't know, angry words on a message board do jack shit yet what can we REALLY do to change circumstances?

ManUtd4ever
06-25-2012, 01:33 PM
That was absolutely embarrassing.
As a lifetime supporter, watching this makes me feel completely disconnected from the club and fills my heart with all the wrong emotions. Marketing is indirectly spitting in my face.

I understand revenue is important but how dare you sleaze up the clubs image while trying to get more asses in the seats? "This is our house"? What, are we spinning "house" music during the games, drinking beer and partying till 2am? Spray tans?
Give me a fucking break, keep alienating the people who actually CARE about the club, see where that takes you come game day. I find it harder and harder to support our boys when steaming shit like this gets released, how do you think they feel when they see an ad like this?

Show the players, show the fans. Show the coach, try to salvage some dignity from this season. Don't show me good looking girls (paid, unpaid. Couldnt give a rats ass. What the hell is "socco" anyway?). This ad is completely unprofessional and oozes desperation. Why keep digging your hole even deeper??

At the moment, TFC - RIP. I don't know, angry words on a message board do jack shit yet what can we REALLY do to change circumstances?

Yes, it is embarrassing, but the ads aren't directed at long time supporters and knowledgeable football enthusiasts like the people on this forum. The ads are obviously directed at a potential untapped market; young people who aren't familiar with TFC or football in general. The FO is likely running out of ideas to try and replace the lost seasons tickets sales/game day sales over the last couple of years, and as Batman mentioned, the club's record certainly isn't going to sell anys seats.

Phil
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
I know this isn't aimed at us, so its a bit moot to get too riled up.

It is a sad commentary though.

Ideally it would be great to actually promote the play on the pitch, make the product the reason people want to come to 'BMO field' instead of all the other stuff. They have the cart before the horse and havent been able to sort the mess out above the coaches.

Instead of hiring a new coach every year and blowing up the team, how about installing Football people and make them accountable? Adopt winning stuctures about the actuall football being played and the support mechanisms able to achieve that, then the marketing will be the easiest job to do.

It looks like Maple Leaf Sport and Entertainment is more about the Entertainment than the sport in this city.

/personal rant

ManUtd4ever
06-25-2012, 01:53 PM
I know this isn't aimed at us, so its a bit moot to get too riled up.

It is a sad commentary though.

Ideally it would be great to actually promote the play on the pitch, make the product the reason people want to come to 'BMO field' instead of all the other stuff. They have the cart before the horse and havent been able to sort the mess out above the coaches.

Instead of hiring a new coach every year and blowing up the team, how about installing Football people and make them accountable? Adopt winning stuctures about the actuall football being played and the support mechanisms able to achieve that, then the marketing will be the easiest job to do.

It looks like Maple Leaf Sport and Entertainment is more about the Entertainment than the sport in this city.

/personal rant

I agree, and the saddest part of all of this is that the FO wouldn't even have to put any effort into marketing if we had a half decent club these past few years.

Corpand
06-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I keep telling myself that I'm overreacting, yet this has been going on for years. If its not directed to us long-termers, then they are sending the wrong message to the first-timers. They will come to the field with the wrong preconceptions. I have watched Arsenal transform into a corporate greed machine since they got their new stadium and Kroenke on board and the parrallels are interesting.
Atmosphere at the Emirates is worse year by year, plastic fans who are there because its the "cool" thing to do in London are hurting both club and players. The more you flood a stadium with people who don't care about the product on the field, the staler the experience becomes for everyone, including us RPB's. We can sing all we want, yet some games it seems the confidence of the players is shot the second they step onto the field. They need to know that the people they are playing for care about them, can get behind them. You release marketing ploys like this ad here, you are pulling their leg.

I want more people at BMO, I really do. The early years were a fantastic experience to be a part of. So much excitement, passion. It seemed like the club was going somewhere. Now the ship is sinking for another year and FO are throwing junk overboard, hoping some people latch onto the debris and survive. They don't seem to care who latches on, as long as many people survive to be able to pay for the return ticket.

Im ranting away because I have finally realized MLSE cares more about entertainment than football entertainment. I hung onto false hopes. "Next year will be better. Next year we will have a stable core of players with a stable coach." What happened to Winter only tells me that this club is run by monkeys.

Phil, I agree that getting a good product on the field will make marketing a breeze, but releasing dross like this ad is surely counter productive and exactly what this club does NOT need right now in terms of instilling the "right" football culture.

ManUtd4ever
06-25-2012, 02:34 PM
I keep telling myself that I'm overreacting, yet this has been going on for years. If its not directed to us long-termers, then they are sending the wrong message to the first-timers. They will come to the field with the wrong preconceptions. I have watched Arsenal transform into a corporate greed machine since they got their new stadium and Kroenke on board and the parrallels are interesting.
Atmosphere at the Emirates is worse year by year, plastic fans who are there because its the "cool" thing to do in London are hurting both club and players. The more you flood a stadium with people who don't care about the product on the field, the staler the experience becomes for everyone, including us RPB's. We can sing all we want, yet some games it seems the confidence of the players is shot the second they step onto the field. They need to know that the people they are playing for care about them, can get behind them. You release marketing ploys like this ad here, you are pulling their leg.

I want more people at BMO, I really do. The early years were a fantastic experience to be a part of. So much excitement, passion. It seemed like the club was going somewhere. Now the ship is sinking for another year and FO are throwing junk overboard, hoping some people latch onto the debris and survive. They don't seem to care who latches on, as long as many people survive to be able to pay for the return ticket.

Im ranting away because I have finally realized MLSE cares more about entertainment than football entertainment. I hung onto false hopes. "Next year will be better. Next year we will have a stable core of players with a stable coach." What happened to Winter only tells me that this club is run by monkeys.

Phil, I agree that getting a good product on the field will make marketing a breeze, but releasing dross like this ad is surely counter productive and exactly what this club does NOT need right now in terms of instilling the "right" football culture.

I can't disagree with anything you've stated.

Those of us that are still around to support the club on game day definitely have thick skin, and those of us that decide to renew next season will do so despite the actions and the overall track record of the front office.

TOBOR !
06-25-2012, 02:35 PM

I had a thread ready to go on this topic but couldn't be arsed to post it - we're all thinking it, no need to say it.

It was about how Brian Burke's comment in a radio interview where he said " I tell people I'm not in the sports business, I'm in the entertainment business".

This got me thinking about something Simon Kuper wrote about football teams being operated with either profit or trophies in mind - likely not both.

With guys like Burke spouting comments like that it's kind of obvious which of the two MLSE is more interested in - the whole TFC Academy thing defies this approach somewhat, but maybe they were aiming to win trophies and make money (with TFC anyway) - that is until they fired Winter... now it's anybody's guess... May as well turn the place into condos now.

ryan
06-25-2012, 02:39 PM

Can one of ye RPB members rep this post for me, so many hammers to the head of nails he crucified Tom twice over. Thx.

canadian_bhoy
06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
What about embracing it? Show people from around the world talking about their club, all the years they waiting, and what it was like when they finally won.

What it was like for Newcastle to fall, only to rise again. Or a small team whose only glory was a freak fa cup win.

Tie it into Tfc and tell the fans that when they raise the cup, all the loses, tears, boos and disappointment. All of it will have been worth it.

That's what football is all about. And that's what a club that understood football or had marketers who understood football would do. Or at least think about.

This is just cheap desperate junk. A short sighted attempt to drive people to games rather than create a true club with a real connection and emotional hook.

This entertainment company doesn't have a clue. And if they ever do something like ive suggested. I'll blame whatever marketing hack they had trolling the board instead of any real thought or care from MLSE.

How about:

Get your tickets now!"

OfficeGuy
06-25-2012, 03:18 PM
I say hire Dudley Moore to create Honest Ads like he did in Crazy People - run parodies of other clubs to show we are not the worst of the heap.

Been a TFC fan since Day 1 - was there when Dichio scored and will be there for seasons to come. Waiting for the CCL games to show the support the players need.

The ad was not targetted to me so I breezed over it - if I think about it upsets me - I choose to focus on the team and the support they need. As out of touch as they are - the FO is realizing something needs to be done and this (much like their ill attempt to run the Team) was a miss. Par for the course really.

I think they need to do something about ticket prices to fill the seats. There is no other way they will recover the fans or the excitement of the beautiful game by throwing money at consultants (Klinnsman) or these Bieber targetted ads. Tighten the belt, have less suits walking the field and regain the common touch.

It is up to us as the REAL Supporters of the Team to be clear - we value the Team and we need to stick it to the Man!

See you on Saturday - I'll have my pins, my RBP card on me and my scarf.

:scarf: :flare: :drum: I'll be there for you, these 5 words I swear to you - and when you WIN - I'll cheer even more for you! I'll be there for you!

__wowza
06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
there's not much atmosphere at BMO aside from the atmosphere supporters create. we aren't the ones they're reaching out to, and we never have been, and as such, this video should be a surprise to no one.

for now, we're the main attraction to this sideshow.

TOBOR !
06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Can one of ye RPB members rep this post for me, so many hammers to the head of nails he crucified Tom twice over. Thx.
Or you could become a member.

Code Red
06-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Reply from MLSE:

Dear TFC Supporter,

Thanks for your email.
We understand from your message that you are frustrated however our fan email system is not a medium for debating the merits of our team and the decisions that those charged with managing the teams make.
Thanks again for your email and thanks for understanding.

Please do not reply to this message as this email address is unable to receive replies.
We are happy to help you with any further questions or concerns you may have. Please visit us at http://www.mlse.com/contactus_venues.aspx or call 416-815-5982 during regular business hours.

OgtheDim
06-25-2012, 09:37 PM
A few random thoughts

Reminds me of Argo chearleader interviews.
None of us are who the team wants to sell the game too.
There are worse things then the gladiator ad. It was obviously false but it did capture the feeling people had about TFC at the time - that this was our team, in our house, with us at it.
Group sales will be a huge aspect of how Rogers/MLSE approach this team. Its what they do with the Jays..
Wait until you see the "Timbits for TFC" promo with cute kids and soccer moms - and yes that is coming in the next 2 years.
Rogers/Bell will have no problem papering games - if hot women and guys is what they think it will take to get people to pay for seats, they will paper it with hot women.
Look at the avatars of various guys on here and tell me sex/sexy doesn't sell a team.
Rogers/Bell do not do edgy. And I think they will have no clue what to do with the Supporters groups.
The FO PR people are trying desperately to prove to the coming owners that they can do stuff - they are all auditioning for their own jobs. Look for even more off kilter ideas throughout the rest of the season.
If anybody thinks this ad is about getting women to the game, I've got some land in Puslinch......
Looking at the current game attendees, the 24-28 single guys who came out the first year are all now in their 30's. Those that are not married are still thinking they are like they were 10 years ago. They WANT to see women like this. (Not sure the women want to see them though)
The FO has to figure out a way to attract the current wave of 24-28 year old guys with disposable income. Given the team is cr*p and the atmosphere is no longer different and it doesn't sound like fun, they gotta choose something.

Mak
06-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Pathetic. FO should be fired for consenting to such marketing piece of crap. Truly fucking embarassing. I have been a STH since day one. Not to restate what has been said because I agree with all. But, refresh me....has the FO requested any meetings with supporter groups at all? The situation with the fan base has been deteriorating rapidly. I remember the the fantastic game day experiences the first few years....we would tailgate unmolested...full BBQ...then cops told us it was MLSE that sent them out into the parking lot to get everyone to buy beer inside. Haven't tailgated in 3 years. Hit the pubs. In fact we barley buy beer inside anymore so we we limit what we give MLSE. Huge footy fan and I will not turn my back, but the experience is weighing on the more casual fans. Has there been a peep out of FO or are they going to wait for a town hall next fall?

glaze
06-25-2012, 10:07 PM
This video reminds me of Jilly's where there's hot girls on the outside and when you get in you spend 5X the money you ever would you're disgusted with everything you see

Best line I've read all day. Even a bigger laugh than that pic of the england supporter during the shootout thant made the rounds this afternoon.

I think TFC has a huge identity crises on what type of fans they are trying to attract. They seem to be targeting the 20-30 crowd, however, in reality, they want the stadium full of soccer moms and their kids. Nothing against families, but don't show a young crowd, with a few beers, when in reality the club hasn't done much to embrace any type of atmosphere that isn't suitable for a G audience.

On the other hand, there have been younger people this year in the stands that were polluted drunk. The one couple this week looked like they were about 16. A couple weeks back in 110 a couple was drinking their smuggled in mickeys and almost having sex in 110. On one hand it was funy to watch, on the other hand there is an element of the tfc crowd that shows up merely because they think its a good place to get wasted, and is probably completely unaware of anything happening on the field.

ryan
06-26-2012, 05:09 AM
Or you could become a member.

I was, maybe one day in the future i will be again. I'll return and necro rep his post if that happens then.

bertal
06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
this is truly woeful

mastermixer
06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
The video reminded me of those late night chat line commercials with the hot chicks begging you to call them because they are lonely. Except when you call it's all drunk dudes looking for the hot chicks. Not that I've ever done that before.. :hide:

Chris Wren
06-26-2012, 09:08 AM
I had to stop watching 12 seconds in. WTF?

ryan
06-26-2012, 09:16 AM
The video reminded me of those late night chat line commercials with the hot chicks begging you to call them because they are lonely. Except when you call it's all drunk dudes looking for the hot chicks. Not that I've ever done that before.. :hide:

lol spot on. didn't think that comparison but it really does feel like that.

"I'm soooo lonely, is there any big boy's out there that want to come watch socco and party with poor ol me? Teeheehee" - lololol.

TOBOR !
06-26-2012, 09:37 AM
okay - this is hilaRIOUS - I spit my coffee out : google images - socco - first pic - WTF ????

edit - prolly NSFW

ryan
06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
LOL, now we know what she had on the brain.

Redcoe15
06-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Reply from MLSE:

Dear TFC Supporter,

Thanks for your email.
We understand from your message that you are frustrated however our fan email system is not a medium for debating the merits of our team and the decisions that those charged with managing the teams make.
Thanks again for your email and thanks for understanding.

Please do not reply to this message as this email address is unable to receive replies.
We are happy to help you with any further questions or concerns you may have. Please visit us at http://www.mlse.com/contactus_venues.aspx or call 416-815-5982 during regular business hours.

Translation: Shut your piehole. Nobody wants to hear you squak while we pluck you like the little chickens you are.

Sincerely,

ML$E

P.S., Thank you for supporting Toronto FC. We have the greatest fans in MLS.

tiberius
06-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Translation: Shut your piehole. Nobody wants to hear you squak while we pluck you like the little chickens you are.

Sincerely,

ML$E

P.S., Thank you for supporting Toronto FC. We have the greatest fans in MLS.

Exactly - shut your effin piehole - to this effin day, that is their reply.

bigredone
06-26-2012, 09:18 PM
okay - this is hilaRIOUS - I spit my coffee out : google images - socco - first pic - WTF ????

edit - prolly NSFW

Last time I listen to you......blah! Sums up the promo. video though.

KRO
06-26-2012, 09:36 PM

Whatever "group ticket leaders" are they still made me throw up.

Give me 10,000 fans who watch the game and know what's going on.