PDA

View Full Version : Impact's Montano files racism complaint after subway incident

tfcleeds
06-20-2012, 07:24 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/06/20/impacts-montano-files-racism-complaint-after-subway-incident

Petor
06-20-2012, 07:35 PM
I have been to Montreal numerous times and never had a problem using the Metro even though my French is pathetic.
Probably more to this story then they are letting on.
My guess is attitude could have been a problem.

WestStandGeoff
06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Assuming what he claims is correct, it's at best discrimination... claiming racism for incidents like this really diminishes the impact when actual racism occurs.

Cashcleaner
06-21-2012, 12:38 AM
I have been to Montreal numerous times and never had a problem using the Metro even though my French is pathetic.
Probably more to this story then they are letting on.
My guess is attitude could have been a problem.

I've never spoke a word of French whenever I've been to Montreal (including riding the subway) and I've gotten by with no hassles at all. I think you might be right about his attitude, though I have often heard that many foreigners who speak neither languages well run into similar problems.

Assuming what he claims is correct, it's at best discrimination... claiming racism for incidents like this really diminishes the impact when actual racism occurs.

Now THAT'S something I wish the Politically Correct crowd would understand.

Oldtimer
06-21-2012, 05:40 AM
As someone who was born and raised in Montreal, this is more a reflection of Quebec language politics than racism. If you don't ask in French, you'll run into the occasional nationalist who won't serve you, even if they fully understand you. This may seem really stupid, especially if they work in a tourism-related industry, but that's the way it is.

My mother tells the story of asking for bread in a bakery and the employee acting like they didn't understand, so she ordered it in French. The employee then said in perfect English "one loaf of bread, coming right up." It's an attitude of "you're in my territory now, so you have to speak my language," which is totally different from the rest of Canada where we bend over backwards to accommodate everyone.

tfcleeds
06-21-2012, 08:49 AM
^You can see their point though. Although the stereotype of the rude Parisian or Quebecois is perhaps not totally undeserved, they really only are so when you just assume they will speak English, without any effort to even address them in French first. I mean, you wouldn't expect someone from Montreal or Paris when visiting New York or Toronto, to just start speaking in French to a waiter or a sales clerk. At least a lot of the Impact players and coaches (Marsch, Arnaud, etc.) have made efforts to learn the language.

ag futbol
06-21-2012, 08:53 AM
He would probably prefer the TTC: it's just shit for everyone.