PDA

View Full Version : Miss the Good Old Days

pawlukj
06-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Anybody else miss the good old days of Toronto FC? Not saying we were always that powerful, but at least we had a decent record at times and were able to compete for longer stretches during the season. When the team first established, there was a buzz about toronto fc, tickets were sold, the atmosphere at BMO was much more intense, it was crazy. Now this franchise has turned into such a shamble its dissappointing. What sucks is that this is my team, and it always will be, I will rep Toronto FC until I die but the losing, the headlines, the coaching changes, and all the BS really makes supporting this franchise hard at times. I'm still going to the games and supporting the boys, but its going into the game with that feeling knowing that your chances of winning are so slim based on this season's record. I love soccer and love to watch a good football game and all I want out of the team is to play good footy regardless of outcome. If you play good footy you are bound to win more than you lose. Sorry for the rant but maybe someone from the franchise will read this and take it into consideration.

This franchise can be turned around but we need management that doesnt just suck the dollar out of its fans but honestly care to provide us with a franchise that has a winning mentality and accomodate us to be the wildest, craziest, most die hard fans we are.

anybody else agree?

Brooker
06-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Welcome to football!

MartinUtd
06-20-2012, 04:07 PM
TFC have never played consistently good football. Ever. The so called glory days of yesteryear were a product of pent up fan hype from just having a team in the first place. Part of that massive display of enthusiasm is why we are in the predicament we are in today. If it weren't for that, MLSE would never have been lauded as genius marketers for tapping into the football culture in the city. The truth is they just sat there, collected the pay cheques and proceeded to spend all of that good will capital on short term goals like maximizing season ticket/concessions revenue, stacking the team with locals just because and ridiculous mid season friendlies.

A lot of the big decisions our front office have made were based on knee jerk reactions to the market. Nothing is ever about the long term. When they do talk about the long term, they just talk. The revolving door of players and coaches coupled with the price gouging is turning people off in droves. It's hard to get excited about a team that can't string a few passes together, let alone score nice goals and play a tight defense. Multiply that with the "who is that" factor and you're going to turn off even the most adamant of supporters.

Also for the record, I was a STH for the first 5 years and commute from Guelph. In the off season I said "fuck it" and spent my $1000 on a trip to LA and Seattle. Looking back I can say it was SOOOOOOO worth it. I only plan on going to CCL games and the odd regular season game from now on.

bigredone
06-20-2012, 04:14 PM
"This franchise can be turned around but we need management that doesnt just suck the dollar out of its fans but honestly care to provide us with a franchise that has a winning mentality and accomodate us to be the wildest, craziest, most die hard fans we are."

Is this a rally call to storm all the MLSE offices simultaneously? A coup de main? I cannot think of a more noble cause or outcome.

"I will rep Toronto FC until I die"

Your message of defiance to all current TFC poo-pooers is beautiful.

Yagbod
06-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I have missed 1 game in the last 3 years. I plan on skipping the next two. Nuff said.

pawlukj
06-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Well either way the players that were on previous year's teams provided more competition and hope than this year's squad. Having a TorontoFC ticket back in the day was like holding onto a golden ticket to willy wonka's chocolate factory. It's still nice to have a ticket these day's but there is always that overarching feeling that torontofc will dissappoint on gameday. thats all that needs to change.

pawlukj
06-20-2012, 04:17 PM
I know that the MLSE isn't just sitting back and relaxing on this year's 1-10-0 record. I bet they are sweating their balls off because they know that the franchise is in shambles and by the looks of the crowd from being there it seem's as dead as ever. I'm sure they want to turn BMO field back into the loudest most rowdy place to be in the MLS.

bigredone
06-20-2012, 04:19 PM
When, or which, Toronto sports team will realize the untapped insanity of Toronto sports fans?

Red CB Toronto
06-20-2012, 04:30 PM
I have missed 1 game in the last 3 years. I plan on skipping the next two. Nuff said.

My question is why are u skipping, that is a question that you could ask a lot of people in recent times, I know a lot of people , not so much hardcore supporters but very interested fans who would be there every game but now have no problem finding something else to do.

I for one love this team, and looking forward to being at the next four gameS, two at home, midweek in Montreal and then heading down to Philadelphia a week later. I guess it is very deeply routed in my blood.

Yeoman
06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
isn't yagbod not going to the next one due to protesting dead afghan civilians?

Fort York Redcoat
06-20-2012, 04:40 PM
isn't yagbod not going to the next one due to protesting dead afghan civilians?

Um no Mr. P.C. veteran. I believe the Yagbod fam has those plans that all of us have tried to fanagle our way out of over the years.

Red CB Toronto
06-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Um no Mr. P.C. veteran. I believe the Yagbod fam has those plans that all of us have tried to fanagle our way out of over the years.

If it's family, vacation, personal choice, I respect that. I missing two games so far due to different reasons. On July 28th I am going to Baltimore/DC for both Liverpool Spurs and Juventus DC United on the same day. My professional life, a member of the Ticats front office means I will be missing a game in September too.

Chevy
06-20-2012, 04:57 PM

An excellent statement regarding supporters no longer willing to BS their way out of other 'stuff' to support TFC. FFS, I remember praying for sick relatives not to die on certain days because the funeral would conflict with a match - Come on Grandma, hang on until Monday! Then when my prayers were answered, turning around and praying that they would croak asap so we could get them planted before the next match.

Yes, I'm going to hell. I'll say hi to Tom, Mo and DeRo (just kidding) for everyone.

Derko
06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
When, or which, Toronto sports team will realize the untapped insanity of Toronto sports fans?

Al TFc needs is a little bit of success with some competitive football and the buzz will return for me, but I am getting kind of tired, I'll still be at games and still cheering, but it is getting harder.

bigredone
06-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Myself too. Especially harder to carry on the conversations where I ridiculously support TFC to the ire of my buddies. We are so ridiculed (Leaf and Raptor fans included) for supporting a "shitty team" when really we are supporting an amazing sport in an amazing city which happens to have the tentacle of MLSE wrapped around it. When I say hostile takeover of MLSE, I really, really REALLY mean it.

jazzy
06-20-2012, 10:22 PM

amazing isn't it.......makes you wonder why it hasn't happenned

T-boy
06-20-2012, 10:27 PM

you "fans" drive me insane!

I followed Oxford United from Division One (now the premiership) all the way down to the conference. I followed them when they went into recievership, couldn't pay their players, nearly went totally out of business, and had the worst league record in the history of League 1. I had a season ticket for EVERY season when they dropped like a stone out of the football league. I followed them when they got relegated out of the league altogether and into the Conference. I was upset at times, and it was hard to watch at times, but NEVER did I give up hope. I went to all their away games, spending thousands of pounds following my team around the country.

you TFC fans who are saying "they don't want to watch anymore" are pathetic. Where is your backbone? I will watch TFC if they lose every one of their games. I won't give up until TFC are winning the league and lifting trophies...no matter how long that takes.

SilverSamurai
06-20-2012, 10:33 PM
I know I'll be labelled a "casual" or heretic, but since F/O has stopped trying, I've been following the team a LOT less. Yes I do read the articles and follow results, but my interest has wanned and I have not been to any games this year. Work and life just happen to get in the way and while I used to have TFC around other things, it's not taken a back seat.
Although an way tie is promising...

billyfly
06-20-2012, 10:35 PM
I am from Toronto. Where am I going to hide?

narduch
06-20-2012, 10:36 PM

I followed Oxford United from Division One (now the premiership) all the way down to the conference. I followed them when they went into recievership, couldn't pay their players, nearly went totally out of business, and had the worst league record in the history of League 1. I had a season ticket for EVERY season when they dropped like a stone out of the football league. I followed them when they got relegated out of the league altogether and into the Conference. I was upset at times, and it was hard to watch at times, but NEVER did I give up hope. I went to all their away games, spending thousands of pounds following my team around the country.

you TFC fans who are saying "they don't want to watch anymore" are pathetic. Where is your backbone? I will watch TFC if they lose every one of their games. I won't give up until TFC are winning the league and lifting trophies...no matter how long that takes.

I wonder if the cost of your season tickets to Oxford doubled on its way to the Conference?

Oxford is a club that has represented its community for decades.

TFC is a franchise which primary goal is to make money for MLSE. I don't fault any fan for becomming jaded about it.

SilverSamurai

I'll watch and follow the team and I do try to keep up with the latest news, but this club is a revolving door. So it's not easy.
As for following a team, why do I have to spend my money to be a "fan"? There is no price tag attached that makes 1 person a better fan than other.

Besides I'm a Canadian soccer team fan. I know what it's like to to cheer/follow a team that few people (although growing) believe in.

Toronto

You'll be dead by that time. I plan on heading to Brazil in 2014. Not a TFC game until after that. Unless I can get a 90 buck ticket on Groupon for 5 bucks. Ahhh I might be there by August...

ensco
06-20-2012, 10:41 PM
I miss the old days too. There were way more laughs.

Has to be said, we had Fortress BMO until we got grass. That made a big difference. Vancouver is not as good as their home record would suggest.

T-boy
06-20-2012, 10:45 PM
I'll watch and follow the team and I do try to keep up with the latest news, but this club is a revolving door. So it's not easy.
As for following a team, why do I have to spend my money to be a "fan"? There is no price tag attached that makes 1 person a better fan than other.

Besides I'm a Canadian soccer team fan. I know what it's like to to cheer/follow a team that few people (although growing) believe in.

I guess I could go into the definitions of "fan" as oposed to "supporter". Fan who just follows a team and shows an interest, rather than supporter who financially/physically/mentally supports the team on a weekly basis.

So, if you are a fan, then that's fine. But those so called "supporters" who are throwing in the towel already really need to get a grip! You're either in for the long haul (and sometimes following a footbal is a long LONG haul!) or you aren't a supporter at all!

And to the guy who said that Oxford United have been a community club for years.....I wouldn't say that to anybody ever employed by Robert Maxwell! :p

SilverSamurai
06-20-2012, 11:01 PM
I guess I could go into the definitions of "fan" as oposed to "supporter". Fan who just follows a team and shows an interest, rather than supporter who financially/physically/mentally supports the team on a weekly basis.

So, if you are a fan, then that's fine. But those so called "supporters" who are throwing in the towel already really need to get a grip! You're either in for the long haul (and sometimes following a footbal is a long LONG haul!) or you aren't a supporter at all!

And to the guy who said that Oxford United have been a community club for years.....I wouldn't say that to anybody ever employed by Robert Maxwell! :p

Well I meant fan and supporter as interchangeable words in my case, but see the difference. I guess I am a fan. But again, I don't see why spending more than someone else makes them a "better" fan than someone else. Not every can spend lots.
As for me, I'm in it for the long haul!
I do miss the early years though as well...

T-boy
06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Well I meant fan and supporter as interchangeable words in my case, but see the difference. I guess I am a fan. But again, I don't see why spending more than someone else makes them a "better" fan than someone else. Not every can spend lots.

My coments aren't anything to do with you. You sound like a solid fan who knows how to support as and when he can.

I miss the squirrel, personally! :)

Kyle_121
06-20-2012, 11:43 PM
TFC is a franchise, not a club. We are nothing more than a customer number to MLSE.

I've put in my time for over 5 years. I've been rewarded with non-stop ticket increases, (current year excluded), a continuous losing team, a revolving door of coaches and players and an ownership who see nothing wrong with this because it's a recipe that works well for their other golden geese.

I miss the good ol days as well, because I was naive enough to think MLSE wouldn't cock this up.

Kilgore Trout
06-20-2012, 11:48 PM

When I started supporting and following Fulham, they were in consistent danger of being relegated to the conference. I was a kid and Craven Cottage in the mid-90s was not exactly what it is today, and the football was brutal, but it was football and you went to enjoy it. A bad result was a bad result. You took it in your stride, and looked forward to the next match. It's the same today for me with any team I follow in any sport I follow.

Of course you want your team to win, but some people only want to follow a winner. That mentality I don't fully understand. It must get awfully boring following a perennial winner. The greatest fun for me in watching sport is the wonderful feeling one gets when a struggling or mediocre side gets things together and goes on a run and has success. Fulham's Europa League run is sure to be one of the highlights of my sport-following life.

Of course, TFC supporters apparently don't only want to follow a winner, for the most part, but some of them seem to be trending that way. Oh well. If you ask me, losing that sort is no great loss.

Kilgore Trout
06-21-2012, 12:04 AM
TFC is a franchise, not a club.

I don't think this distinction is compelling. Many 'proper clubs' operate as money-making machines similar to North American franchises. The reality is that 'the club' is something that exists on an abstract level. The Winnipeg Jets is not the same franchise as the one that became the Coyotes, but I dare you to really argue that this matters to the Jets fans today. Winnipeg really did get the Jets back, regardless of the on-paper fact that the old Jets franchise is in Phoenix and the current Jets franchise was the Atlanta Thrashers.

TFC for me exists as a club on that abstract level. MLSE's abuses of TFC's fans does not affect my affection for TFC. The ownership is not the club. That is true of 'proper clubs' with shitty, abusive ownerships as well. I don't understand the history argument, either. Ask a Mets fan who started following the team from the start if his shitty, woeful, ball club meant anything less to him or other fans after 5 years of the Mets than the Yankees did to Yankees fans after decades of representing New York and weaving a rich mythology.

Kyle_121
06-21-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't think this distinction is compelling. Many 'proper clubs' operate as money-making machines similar to North American franchises. The reality is that 'the club' is something that exists on an abstract level. The Winnipeg Jets is not the same franchise as the one that became the Coyotes, but I dare you to really argue that this matters to the Jets fans today. Winnipeg really did get the Jets back, regardless of the on-paper fact that the old Jets franchise is in Phoenix and the current Jets franchise was the Atlanta Thrashers.

TFC for me exists as a club on that abstract level. MLSE's abuses of TFC's fans does not affect my affection for TFC. The ownership is not the club. That is true of 'proper clubs' with shitty, abusive ownerships as well. I don't understand the history argument, either. Ask a Mets fan who started following the team from the start if his shitty, woeful, ball club meant anything less to him or other fans after 5 years of the Mets than the Yankees did to Yankees fans after decades of representing New York and weaving a rich mythology.

I have no problem supporting a crappy club. I think we can all agree that MLS is bush league to begin with. What I have a problem with is being bent over by MLSE year after year.

Do you have any stats on Mets ticket prices? I have a feeling that after 4 disastrous years, their ticket prices weren't up by 75% from year 1.

And let's have a look at this:
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101103&content_id=15973590&c_id=nym

Mets reduce ticket prices for 2011
Coming off a second consecutive fourth-place finish in 2010, the Mets instituted double-digit price reductions on more than half of Citi Field's seats. Though single-game tickets now start at $12, compared to $11 last year, the Mets also increased the percentage of tickets available at $15 or less.
"Affordability has always been an important component to all our programs and plans, because we feel we are the people's team," executive vice president of business operations David Howard said. "We are always mindful of that. We're a family-oriented, fan-friendly organization, and affordability is still key."

Do you honestly think this would ever happen with MLSE as the owners?

Kilgore Trout
06-21-2012, 12:37 AM
I don't, but that's not the point. I'm not defending MLSE at all. I was making the point that suggesting that TFC is a franchise, not a club, is somewhat dubious , not suggesting that you shouldn't feel slighted by MLSE's crazy ticket pricing and so on.

I brought up the Mets as a prime example of a team that meant a lot to a lot of people despite not having any real history and also being absolutely woeful until the Miracle Mets came around (then woeful again for most of their history). That sort of point often comes up, even in comparison to other sports teams in Toronto. I don't really think that TFC having been around for a short while and being consistently bad makes the Oxford United mention above (and similar mentions) disanalogous.

I guess I should've been clearer; as soon as I started talking about the 'history argument' (that comes up quite often around here) I was pretty much responding more to narduch and other posts than yours...

Yagbod
06-21-2012, 01:32 AM

OK, this is why unusually avoid the board these days. But this pisses me off.

For the record, this is a vacation thing. In all previous years I would avoid anything if it meant missing a game. 2 years ago i put down my uncle's coffin to change into the kit, only to just miss the start of a match. But this year I have decided to go north.

I wave large flags and sing every week in 112. I have probably done more painting than 99% of TFC fans this year. Pete and Davyd can likely attest that I help them both on most projects.

You want more than that, you want proof? Let me know. I have it.

So before you call someone out.: Check your facts.

Technorgasm
06-21-2012, 07:11 AM
his team has never been about results.
its about us.
Abotu being starved for a local pro, televised team for YEARS.
Set your expectations where they shoudl be. . on your mates around you in the stands.
Winning would be fucking awesome. . . but we are not going anywhere.
I dont care that we are the worst. . . in history. . . for all fucking time.

Score in every home game, let us have that thrill.
one day. . who knows when we will win, its up to us to create the platform and experience for the casuals.
We are NOT casuals, we spend hours upon hours researching debating, chatting abotu our squad.
put your arm around the person next to you and give it fucking hell.

With MAriner, the attitude is different.
Football is back in Toronto, and Im looking forward to the future.
all of you are fucking champions. . .
and we will be rewarded with results somewhere down the line.
Lets hope there are enough of us that can weather this shit storm.
See you in the stands.

Phil
06-21-2012, 07:18 AM

For the record, this is a vacation thing. In all previous years I would avoid anything if it meant missing a game. 2 years ago i put down my uncle's coffin to change into the kit, only to just miss the start of a match. But this year I have decided to go north.

I wave large flags and sing every week in 112. I have probably done more painting than 99% of TFC fans this year. Pete and Davyd can likely attest that I help them both on most projects.

Yagbod, we all know your contribution and for you to take a few games off is no problem. You deserve the break dude.

Fort York Redcoat
06-21-2012, 07:19 AM

I understand your sentiment on this one post above on its own but the posts immediately following give background and reason for it. This callout is invalid. I'm not saying there aren't those like who you describe but Yagbod is not one of them.

Phil
06-21-2012, 07:21 AM
its about us.
Set your expectations where they shoudl be. . on your mates around you in the stands.

one day. . who knows when we will win, its up to us to create the platform and experience for the casuals.
We are NOT casuals, we spend hours upon hours researching debating, chatting abotu our squad.

See you in the stands.

It will be nice when the day comes and its about what is on the pitch vs. the support in the stands. It means we will challenge ourselves to be heard vs. challenging ourselves to produce any voice.

I agree though, we have to weather this storm once again, lower the expectation and wait for better days.

brad
06-21-2012, 07:31 AM

Money spent on a season ticket or on the club means nothing in regards to support for a team. Take what's happened at Manchester United in the last few years as an example. Many supporters have given up their seasons as they do not want to give a cent to the Glazers (hmm - sacrifice to protest against management). And these aren't a bunch of plastics in most cases. Many are folks that have held tickets for decades and through the barren periods. When a plastic steps in and takes that vacated season, does that make them a real supporter over the person that gave their ticket up over pure finances? Unlikely.

brad
06-21-2012, 07:39 AM
I miss the good old days as well. I miss the buzz around the city and the stadium on game day. I miss going to the stadium with some hope that we might actually win (I pretty much expect a loss every game now - and have done for a while). I miss the fact that the stadium used to have a good atmosphere outside of the supporters section as well as in it (before the Front Office sanitized all the non-supporters other sections in preparation to go Leafs style on the pricing).

But the team has always been terrible, just different shades of terrible.

TOBOR !
06-21-2012, 07:45 AM
The brilliance in all of this is that we're into the knockout stages of EURO 2012.

TFC should be reaping the benefits of a Footy crazed town.

Folk should be filled with angst over getting from in front of the telly down to BMO on time for kick-off on Saturday.

Trouble is, folk aren't bothered about it.

Great opportunuity for TFC wasted... like an underhit cross from Nicky Soolsma, or Adrian Peterson before him... or Rohan Ricketts... or _________.

Fort York Redcoat
06-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Great opportunuity for TFC wasted... like an underhit cross from Nicky Soolsma, or Adrian Peterson before him... or Rohan Ricketts... or _________.

I think there are those here at least that have gone from no hope to slim that Sat won't be a shitshow.

Adrian Peterson? Did you mean Jacob Serioux?g:D

TOBOR !
06-21-2012, 08:14 AM
I think there are those here at least that have gone from no hope to slim that Sat won't be a shitshow.

Adrian Peterson? Did you mean Jacob Serioux?g:D

HA ! - Yeah - that guy ! S'funny - I've always had a mental block remembering Peterson's first name. More than once I've shouted 'Nice One Adrian' at him after one of those said crosses, and wondered why I was getting odd looks.

Lulz.

Thanks Fortsy - I had a good chuckle at myself there.

[NB - Tobor's Guide to Life - rule 1 : Never take yourself too seriously (learn to laugh at your mistakes). You may not go far, but you'll be happier where you are]

TOBOR !
06-21-2012, 08:17 AM
It will be nice when the day comes and its about what is on the pitch vs. the support in the stands. It means we will challenge ourselves to be heard vs. challenging ourselves to produce any voice.

I agree though, we have to weather this storm once again, lower the expectation and wait for better days.

This has to be TFC's new marketing strategy... in fact, it should be the new club motto !

Out with 'All For One'. The new catchphrase of the club is 'Lower your Expectations and Wait for Better Days'.

That's what needs to be stitched onto the backs of our collars.

genius.

Phil
06-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I think this sums it up:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

james
06-21-2012, 09:56 AM
the buzz might be back once prices are reduced and team starts performing better on the field, and ML$E start working with the supporters more like other clubs have, a better ralationship, rather then just trying to suck every dollar out of everyone!

SilverSamurai
06-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Money spent on a season ticket or on the club means nothing in regards to support for a team. Take what's happened at Manchester United in the last few years as an example. Many supporters have given up their seasons as they do not want to give a cent to the Glazers (hmm - sacrifice to protest against management). And these aren't a bunch of plastics in most cases. Many are folks that have held tickets for decades and through the barren periods. When a plastic steps in and takes that vacated season, does that make them a real supporter over the person that gave their ticket up over pure finances? Unlikely.
But a plastic can turn into a real supporter. (Now I have an image of something like a person turning into a werewolf or something) lol

As for me, while I follow the club and admit that ya the team is terrible, it's my local team and I'm proud to support them. I don't expect them to win the "cup" every year and know that you have you ups and downs in sports just like life.

cmonyoureds
06-21-2012, 11:15 AM
the buzz might be back once prices are reduced and team starts performing better on the field, and ML$E start working with the supporters more like other clubs have, a better ralationship, rather then just trying to suck every dollar out of everyone!

bwaahahahahhahahahahahahah

sorry, that one is funny.
because it makes so much sense, yet has no chance in h*** of happening with these f/o clowns in charge.

BHTC Mike
06-21-2012, 11:32 AM
I think we can all agree that MLS is bush league to begin with.
I wouldn't agree with that at all.

Beach_Red
06-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't agree with that at all.

No, I wouldn't agree with that either. MLS is less than twenty years old in probably the most competitive team sport environment in the world. It's got a long way to go, but it's actually doing quite well. It's not like US football, baseball and basketball were just going to roll over and invite the new kid in.

nascarguy
06-21-2012, 11:52 AM
If it's family, vacation, personal choice, I respect that. I missing two games so far due to different reasons. On July 28th I am going to Baltimore/DC for both Liverpool Spurs and Juventus DC United on the same day. My professional life, a member of the Ticats front office means I will be missing a game in September too. so if I make a banner to fire the tiger cat's front office I sould paint " fire TC front office but don't fire cblake"...lol

I miss the TFC road trips that we use to do now we do nothing.

Fort York Redcoat
06-21-2012, 12:09 PM
I miss the TFC road trips that we use to do now we do nothing.

Montreal, Niagara, Chicago, people are traveling if you want to join. It's not new anymore and you're not going to see Columbus' and Carolina's without performance on the pitch now.

This is how it is everywhere. Watch it happen in Seattle and OMFG Portland.

T-boy
06-21-2012, 12:23 PM

Clearly I don't know everyone's story on this board! We are all anonymous here, so I have no idea who any of you are! But there ARE people who claim to be supporters who really aren't, and are very fickle. I'm not saying YOU are who I am describing, but there ARE people who are.

Again, I don't know who you are or any of your background. We all hide behind aliases here, so I don't know anybody, and you don't know me. I'm sure if we were chatting in the pub my personal reaction to YOU would be different as I would know YOU the real person. On here I don't, of course. I don't mean to insult individual people, but I'm making a comment about "those people" who ARE like the way I'm describing.

Red CB Toronto
06-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Montreal, Niagara, Chicago, people are traveling if you want to join. It's not new anymore and you're not going to see Columbus' and Carolina's without performance on the pitch now.

This is how it is everywhere. Watch it happen in Seattle and OMFG Portland.

It might be irony but This season I am going to break my record for attending road games. My previous record was three in 2008 with Columbus, NYC and Montreal. With Montreal coming in this year, I am hitting up five games, maybe six. Have been to both the Reds first two trips into Montreal and will be there next week for the game at Saputo. Also going to Philadelphia and New York with Chicago maybe in the cards.

Kyle_121
06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
its about us.

See you in the stands.

You forgot:

"And don't forget to wear a liverpool shirt and headphones to every game."

bigredone
06-22-2012, 07:20 AM
TFC ain't doin' that bad. Good ole days as a 31 year old Leaf fan really never existed (minus Dougie). Jays have over 2 decades since the good ole days. TFC is just an infant compared to those time periods. I got lotsa time for TFC left if I want to treat them like the Jays/Leafs.

T-boy
06-22-2012, 11:19 AM
It's a little sad that we are calling the "good old days" the days when the squirrel, seat cushions, Dichio, and "that free kick by Brennan" are the highlights.

Mind you, that free kick was pretty nice to watch! And the squirrel and seat cushions moment will last in my memory for all time!

lintberg
06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
its about us.

See you in the stands.

What he said 100%

KRO
06-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I hope I'm not proved wrong but I think we reached the bottom earlier this week and we'll be on our way up. I saw something in the performance and attitude on Wednesday that I believe will mean more entertainment, more goals and better results under Mariner. Anyone who decides to quit on the team now might regret it.

khso11
06-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I hope I'm not proved wrong but I think we reached the bottom earlier this week and we'll be on our way up. I saw something in the performance and attitude on Wednesday that I believe will mean more entertainment, more goals and better results under Mariner. Anyone who decides to quit on the team now might regret it.

Agree!!!!

Brookingisking
06-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Those days are long gone my friend. we used to have a good piss up, and enjoy most games win or loose. Now, our section 113, 112 etc ...not the same as the 1st and 2nd years too much sh*t.

tfc007
06-23-2012, 06:36 AM
I am a season ticket holder in 114 and I havent been to one MLS game yet this year, I just cant be bothered anymore with this club I have lost the fire with in me! I went to the champions league matches but thats it.Even todays game I am going to watch Spain vs France game at home and thats it not going to even bother to make it to BMO field.I am going to do what someone else suggested just attend champion league matches and the occasional MLS game. It will be many years before I ever return as a season ticket holder.THANK YOU MAPLE LEAF SPORTS AND GREED for killing my passion!

tiberius
06-23-2012, 11:46 AM

I followed Oxford United from Division One...

Congratulations... I will continue to follow the boys at Toronto FC too.... however this franchise is at risk of disappearing from existence before they ever hoist the MLS Cup. What you are witnessing in slow motion T-boy, is the result of an incredibly abusive relationship. The supporters, the fans and this city poured their hearts and wallets out to this team for the first 3 years. Nobody demanded this team be a winner - perhaps mid table would be nice - perhaps a playoff game once in a blue moon?? From ransom packs and double-priced hoser friendlies to incredible seat, drink prices and travelzoo (I am sure we could rattle off 30 issues in 2 minutes) - This abuse is all from the Front Office of the worst team in the world. (has nobody disputed DK's comment to this day? NOT ABC Anselmi, Bierne or Cochrane? - not the rest of the TFC front office? I guess they know it is true...) For many former Season Ticket holders, just watching a game brings up those feelings of anger and frustration at the disrespect and abuse that this ownership has bestowed upon everyone. For many current and former fans and supporters, it is a matter of integrity - they will no longer have a relationship with a franchise FO who has proven to be stupendously greedy, amazingly incompetent and manages its fan base like a sociopath.

All followers can and will support the team of players, but it is quite understandable that watching the club play is a constant reminder of the abuse that has and is taking place to this day. A quick GLANCE around the league shows us that other clubs appreciate their fans and show it - our franchise holders have done the opposite: year after year after year. Almost anyone who still gives a rat's ass about this team is a survivor of this senseless and completely unnecessary 6 years of serial abuse.

The only rational explanation I can come up with, to explain your rosie demeanour is that you watch the games on TV? Perhaps there is a better explanation than that, but I am stumped...

I had season's tickets for several years - Don't call me pathetic or without backbone - most of us are tired, tired of the abuse, the disrespect, tired of being the Worst Team In the World. Tired of listening to others who see some Pollyanna glimmer of hope in the occasional game - but of course, there is no actual improvement - just a continuous totally unnecessary slide downward towards...... oblivion.

What is your breaking point??? $200 tickets? $30 beers? $50 for parking? $600 friendlies? 90% ticket discounts on Travelzoo? $300 to watch them play on TV? One win in a season? Two wins??

I have a feeling that perhaps you do not have much of a financial commitment to this team... Am I correct?

Lastly, and most importantly, rather than accuse some of those who still follow this club as having no backbone, I would respectfully ask that you steer your energy and optimism towards a more useful task - REMOVING tom anselmi AND ALL HIS MINIONS FROM THIS FOOTBALL CLUB.

Yagbod
06-23-2012, 01:43 PM
^^^There really should be a 'Post of the Year' award at the year end party, because this would surely be the winner. Very well done sir!

Richard
06-23-2012, 03:23 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/93a29064_Slow_Clap_Your_Pokemon_is_in_danger-s400x300-291489-535.gif

cmonyoureds
06-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Congratulations... I will continue to follow the boys at Toronto FC too.... however this franchise is at risk of disappearing from existence before they ever hoist the MLS Cup. What you are witnessing in slow motion T-boy, is the result of an incredibly abusive relationship. The supporters, the fans and this city poured their hearts and wallets out to this team for the first 3 years. Nobody demanded this team be a winner - perhaps mid table would be nice - perhaps a playoff game once in a blue moon?? From ransom packs and double-priced hoser friendlies to incredible seat, drink prices and travelzoo (I am sure we could rattle off 30 issues in 2 minutes) - This abuse is all from the Front Office of the worst team in the world. (has nobody disputed DK's comment to this day? NOT ABC Anselmi, Bierne or Cochrane? - not the rest of the TFC front office? I guess they know it is true...) For many former Season Ticket holders, just watching a game brings up those feelings of anger and frustration at the disrespect and abuse that this ownership has bestowed upon everyone. For many current and former fans and supporters, it is a matter of integrity - they will no longer have a relationship with a franchise FO who has proven to be stupendously greedy, amazingly incompetent and manages its fan base like a sociopath.

All followers can and will support the team of players, but it is quite understandable that watching the club play is a constant reminder of the abuse that has and is taking place to this day. A quick GLANCE around the league shows us that other clubs appreciate their fans and show it - our franchise holders have done the opposite: year after year after year. Almost anyone who still gives a rat's ass about this team is a survivor of this senseless and completely unnecessary 6 years of serial abuse.

The only rational explanation I can come up with, to explain your rosie demeanour is that you watch the games on TV? Perhaps there is a better explanation than that, but I am stumped...

I had season's tickets for several years - Don't call me pathetic or without backbone - most of us are tired, tired of the abuse, the disrespect, tired of being the Worst Team In the World. Tired of listening to others who see some Pollyanna glimmer of hope in the occasional game - but of course, there is no actual improvement - just a continuous totally unnecessary slide downward towards...... oblivion.

What is your breaking point??? $200 tickets? $30 beers? $50 for parking? $600 friendlies? 90% ticket discounts on Travelzoo? $300 to watch them play on TV? One win in a season? Two wins??

I have a feeling that perhaps you do not have much of a financial commitment to this team... Am I correct?

Lastly, and most importantly, rather than accuse some of those who still follow this club as having no backbone, I would respectfully ask that you steer your energy and optimism towards a more useful task - REMOVING tom anselmi AND ALL HIS MINIONS FROM THIS FOOTBALL CLUB.

A little long for a game day banner, but boy oh boy does this sum everything up perfectly.

tiberius
06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
A little long for a game day banner, but boy oh boy does this sum everything up perfectly.

I agree, how about shortening to:

We've been Anselmied!
or
TFC's been Anselmied!
or
R.A.T. Retire Anselmi Today!
or...

Bars92
06-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Supporting this club even on an occassional basis has taken the piss out of me and I can no longer entertain the idea. I will stick to watching the EPL at the pub. I hope the club survives and I would say all the best to the dedicated supporters, there were some great times.

Cashcleaner
06-26-2012, 02:54 AM

Fucking THIS. ALL THIS.

Look, people aren't just upset because TFC is going through a rough stretch. We are absolute garbage. We are the league's whipping boys. And if that wasn't all bad enough, the TFC FO - OUR OWN FUCKING FRONT OFFICE is basically kicking us while we're down in the dirt with ridiculous ticket and concession prices. In addition to this, they continue to dilute our gameday experience with stupid marketing gimmicks and try to manipulate and exploit our support.

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2012, 06:05 AM

tiberius, T-boy is applying old world support to a franchise that is not even a decade old in a packed sports landscape that is constantly lacking. We all have different financial commitments to the team because we all have different finances. That does not determine how much support or passion you have for this or any other team. You can leave that out.

That said, all points you made concerning the FO are valid and they need to shift their aims to reward those stomaching the poor product they are selling. It's not unexpected how this FO has failed to fully recognize the difference in support for this their "product" and using common NA business advantages but they need to constantly be reminded by we that are still here that the support they are trying to sell as a brand is not "common".

Code Red
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM

You have my nomination for POTY sir!

ryan
06-27-2012, 03:09 PM

And with this post you can basically shutdown the forum. Nothing left to be said can surpass this post.