PDA

View Full Version : Anselmi the micro-manager...

Abou Sky
06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
So... Dutch guy I know (won't call him a friend, but trust what he has to say) was watching Holland play in the Euro with Winter a bit back.

Winter, now no longer on a short leash basically said that the ENTIRE team is micromanaged, from who is brought in and fired down to LINEUP!!!

Yes, you read that last bit right, Winter says Anselmi hands down the lineup to his coaches...

WTF!?!?!?!?

Code Red
06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Wouldn't surprise me.

__wowza
06-20-2012, 12:36 PM
"friend of a friend" stories are a dime a dozen, but to be perfectly honest it'd surprise me more if he didn't micromanage the team. its hard to picture 6 coaches all failing so miserably.

flamehawk
06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
So... Dutch guy I know (won't call him a friend, but trust what he has to say) was watching Holland play in the Euro with Winter a bit back.

Winter, now no longer on a short leash basically said that the ENTIRE team is micromanaged, from who is brought in and fired down to LINEUP!!!

Yes, you read that last bit right, Winter says Anselmi hands down the lineup to his coaches...

WTF!?!?!?!?

Really messed up if this is true. But it seems a little over the top, no? If it was true, I would've expected Winter to 'resign' much earlier (perhaps this explains Carver's resignation too).

Abou Sky
06-20-2012, 12:39 PM
"friend of a friend" stories are a dime a dozen, but to be perfectly honest it'd surprise me more if he didn't micromanage the team. its hard to picture 6 coaches all failing so miserably.

Not 'friend of a friend'

Not FROM WINTER, but not some third/fourth hand info.

dantdot
06-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Sounds like BS and trying to deflect from Winter's failure, no coach would put up with that. Plus Anselmi is clueless(hence the hiring Klinsmann), he's not that stupid to start making on field decisions.

CoachGT
06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
I've got a hard time believing this for several reasons.

Winter seems to be to have been a much classier guy than to make any kind of comment like that. At times when he could have thrown the team or individual players under the bus, even to protect himself, he didn't do this. He had a great deal of respect from the media for that. Comments like that seem completely out of character.

Add to that Anselmi's own comments that he isn't a soccer guy and going out and getting guys like Klinsmann to make recommendations. I find it hard to believe that he would step in front of the manager like that - pretty much no coach or manager that I've ever heard of would work under those circumstances anyway.

And look at the past. I had a number of discussions with Carver when he was here, and can guarantee that of the issues that we talked about, that was never one. I've got a hard time believing Preki would have taken this either. So unless Tom has suddenly started doing this, there is no previous history of it.

I've got a hard time taking this one seriously at all.

backbeat
06-20-2012, 12:52 PM

WTF!?!?!?!?

as much as i believe Anselmi is WAY to involved in the club even i doubt he is making those detailed decisions - yes he may have to approve some larger spending dollars but i don't think any coach or team would stand for that kind of micro management.

Phil
06-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I know from the stories I hear Tom has pretty much 0 to do with any day to day things.

I would have to call BS on the story, but it still doesn't change the fact that I want Anselmi to no touch TFC at all. This club needs to stop the revolving door and start putting people into accountable roles that have football knowlege.

ag futbol
06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I have a very hard time believing this one as well.

Some things could probably be indirectly linked back to anselmi but probably little directly. Remember, he wants a buffer between himself and on-field results... otherwise people have reason to call for his ouster.

ManUtd4ever
06-20-2012, 01:08 PM
I know from the stories I hear Tom has pretty much 0 to do with any day to day things.

I would have to call BS on the story, but it still doesn't change the fact that I want Anselmi to no touch TFC at all. This club needs to stop the revolving door and start putting people into accountable roles that have football knowlege.

This.

FreekAce
06-20-2012, 01:10 PM
you recall which game he would have heard this?

Whoop
06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
I thought Winter pretty much left for the Netherlands after resigning?

TOBOR !
06-20-2012, 01:25 PM
I have no opinion on this at all, but I feel the indifferent are under-represented in this thread.

Super
06-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Freek from U-Sector posted this on his Facebook on Sunday.

http://www.plusjobs.com/freek.jpg

Phil
06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
I thought Winter pretty much left for the Netherlands after resigning?

I think you will still see him from time to time.

Super
06-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Also, Freek said that Winter stayed to watch the Holland v Portugal game. He apparently loves Toronto and wants to stick around for a while. The girl is Winter's daughter. (That should clear up a few things)

Richard
06-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Lol lets not kid oursleves this is BS.

/thread

ensco
06-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Äs others have said, this is BS. This isn't Anselmi's or Peddie's style.

These guys aren't children who would put themselves in a vulnerable position like that, they're serious operators. These types of guys always have layers of people between them, so that someone else takes the fall.

tfcfan2011
06-20-2012, 01:39 PM
i'd be less inclined to believe a full lineup would be handed down by anselmi, and more likely to believe that he might influence 1 or 2 players sitting/playing... for example "Koevs isnt match fit" - "He's our DP, play him today..." that kind of thing... this organization is so fucked up that if someone came on and said anselmi watches from the players hot tub naked i might believe it...

Beach_Red
06-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Sounds like BS and trying to deflect from Winter's failure, no coach would put up with that. Plus Anselmi is clueless(hence the hiring Klinsmann), he's not that stupid to start making on field decisions.

It's probably BS, but this would read better if it was, "no experienced coach."

It's worth asking why from the very beginning of this team no one was brought in with years of experience. How could the guys we've had "running" this team stand up to their boss and say, "Look, I know what I'm doing here." Maybe Carver and we see where that got him. And maybe Winter and we see where that got him. Mo probably only lasted as long as he did because he was willing to do what he was told and pretend to be in charge.

Super
06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
If Anselmi is running the show to that degree, then I'll be officially done with TFC. I can't imagine it being true.

FreekAce
06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Freek from U-Sector posted this on his Facebook on Sunday.

http://www.plusjobs.com/freek.jpg

hence me asking when his buddy would've heard this, as i watched most games with Aron.
and he'll be sticking around for the time being. really likes this city, so does his family.

Super
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
hence me asking when his buddy would've heard this, as i watched most games with Aron.
and he'll be sticking around for the time being. really likes this city, so does his family.

LOL well, didn't see your name there. Hope you don't mind me sharing your picture. At least you can put an end to this discussion then.

spark
06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
It's worth asking why from the very beginning of this team no one was brought in with years of experience. How could the guys we've had "running" this team stand up to their boss and say, "Look, I know what I'm doing here." Maybe Carver and we see where that got him. And maybe Winter and we see where that got him. Mo probably only lasted as long as he did because he was willing to do what he was told and pretend to be in charge.

This would take the thread in a different direction, but IMO a good point. Early on I would have had no probs with this being the place to cut your teeth, but after 2009 the bar for qualifiers should have been raised much higher than it was set (as in one - MLS experience).

But like you have suggested - birds of a feather flock together. Pretty much everyone of influence is learning on the job (Bierne admitted this openly in the first townhall), and pretty common in this type of corporate enviro if you are not 100% secure to surround yourself with people who are worse off than you, or at least can't tell you you don't know what you are doing/talking about.

Canary10
06-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Ha! The idea of Anslemi dictating player decisions is a laugh to me. That would suggest he even knows anyone's name.

FreekAce
06-20-2012, 02:02 PM
LOL well, didn't see your name there. Hope you don't mind me sharing your picture. At least you can put an end to this discussion then.

nah thats cool. as for the micromanaging, it did not come up in our conversations, so i cannot really share much light on that.

Oldtimer
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM

So with the end of this false rumour, we will close this thread.