PDA

View Full Version : Sweeper?

trane
07-14-2008, 03:47 AM
I know this will not happen, but I realy would like to see us play with a sweeper, Tebily would be perfect for the positiion, he has played in the midfield and is a solid defender ( by MLS standards).

CretanBull
07-14-2008, 04:19 AM
I'm not sure if Tebily has the ability to lead quick-counter attacks...maybe someone like Edu?

zeelaw
07-14-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm not sure if Tebily has the ability to lead quick-counter attacks...maybe someone like Edu?

yea, makes sense if we have a sweeper

sweetlemon69
07-14-2008, 07:40 AM
man sweepers havn't been around since the 80's. Put a sweeper in and you keep the modern striker onside all the time. bad idea.

TicTacTabarnack
07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Hurry... Hurrrrry Harrrrrd!

Shaughno
07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
man sweepers havn't been around since the 80's. Put a sweeper in and you keep the modern striker onside all the time. bad idea.

Considering we play the offside trap like shit, why not try it out?

I don't understand the mentality of Tebily has played DM before so he would work though... a sweeper plays BEHIND the defense, not in front. That's a stopper.

GabrielHurl
07-14-2008, 07:51 AM

I don't understand the mentality of Tebily has played DM before so he would work though... a sweeper plays BEHIND the defense, not in front. That's a stopper.

Robbo does that for us - and very effectively as well

Shaughno
07-14-2008, 08:14 AM
The stopper? I agree, he does. He's actually a much better stopper than he is a true DM, IMO.

Pachuco
07-14-2008, 08:30 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. You need someone quick that runs hard all the time at the back for sweeper. Tebily is not that man. Wynne, for example could potentially be a good sweeper.

Shaughno
07-14-2008, 08:42 AM
But he's not strong enough in the air either. If Velez had some wheels, he would be the perfect candidate.

v00d00daddy
07-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. You need someone quick that runs hard all the time at the back for sweeper. Tebily is not that man. Wynne, for example could potentially be a good sweeper.

I'm not crazy about the idea of playing with a sweeper but while we're on the topic....

Wynne has the speed but not the steady foot and even steadier nerves that it takes to be a sweeper. You have to be money under pressure...EVERY TIME. There is nobody on the TFC roster that has the confidence to pull it off.

I think TFC is better with 5 in the middle as opposed to the back.

trane
07-14-2008, 12:33 PM

I know, I do not care wether he plays as a classic sweeper or a stopper, but what I would like to see is a fifth man to stay back. I just would like the fifth man to move around at the back as needed and be able to contribute to building the attack. Tebily, from what I have seen, save from the speed issue, seems to have the ability to do that I would like to have them line up as this;

---------1------------
-----4------14---------
16------------------11
--------26------------
--------33------------
10-------------------32
---------20-----------
---------7/9-----------

( I think tebily is 26)

I do not care if it is tebily, or someone else, it is just that we have limited optitions. Edu may have the physical tools, but I am not sure he has the experience that we need at the back.