PDA

View Full Version : Former MLB commish thinks association football is No. 1

Oldtimer
06-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Peter Ueberroth -- the Southern California businessman who made the 1984 Olympics a brilliant success, served four and a half years as Major League Baseball's commissioner, led the “Rebuild Los Angeles” project after the 1992 riots, and served as chairman of the U.S. Olympic Committee -- has strong feelings about soccer.

Ueberroth said in an appearance Thursday at the University of San Diego that he “would give up everything” to make soccer the No. 1 sport in the United States.

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune's coverage of the event, Ueberroth's response to a question about public-private partnerships in sports:

“If I could wave a magic wand, what I would do, if I had a magic wand, I would do only one thing to sports. I would somehow take the sport that the world calls football and I would make it No. 1 in our country. If I could do that, if I could do it, I would give up everything. I would throw everything on the pile if I could do that one thing. So everyone knows what I'm talking about, I'm talking about soccer. The sport is so terrific.

Full story:

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/soccer/post/_/id/16908/ueberroth-thinks-soccer-is-no-1