PDA

View Full Version : Come on out and cheer against TFC! YAY!

canadian_bhoy
06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
So here's a new low point.

Looks like the marketing dept at TFC has been courting Rangers supporters clubs in and around Toronto. They're offering up group seats behind the Portland Timbers bench and encouraging them to wear Rangers gear - presumably because of former Rangers striker Kris Boyd.

Put another way, the club is now actively approaching people to come and cheer for TFC opponents.

If there was ever a thought that this was a "club" and not just a money making machine, it's all been squashed in my eyes. What a disgrace.

Whoop
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Hahaha....

:facepalm:

ryan
06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
LOL What do you mean sports teams just don't print money??

canadian_bhoy
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
LOL What do you mean sports teams just don't print money??

Nothing wrong with making money. But when you start actively trying to sell to anyone - including people who want to cheer against you?
That's fucked.

brad
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
wow....

Oldtimer
06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I wonder if other teams do this for TFC?

ginkster88
06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
They've arguably done this before for Beckham, etc.

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2012, 01:59 PM
It is sad they are being obvious about it but it really isn't that far from how they approach fans of visiting foreign teams. I'm no less insulted.

I know people in said Rangers Supporters Group that have seasons for Toronto. They don't need to be told an old player is coming to town.

This in no way excuses the marketing of it. Just pointing out how far off the mark they are.

Joe Kool
06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm anxious to see Kris Boyd as well being a Rangers fan...kinda screwed up marketing though on TFC's part. You gotta wonder how far it can go. The latest pic with all the blonde girls going crazy on the TFC website makes me laugh. Yeah like they were really at the game going nuts. If you look to the right of the pic you can see all the empty seats too beside the "fans".

TOBOR !
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
HEY ! TFC SUPPORTER !

Now's your chance to cheer on former TFC players at BMO Field !

Pick up an extra ticket or two for your friends to come down and cheer on former TFC Player of the Year Dwayne DeRosario as he plays for his latest club DC United.

DC are in town this weekend to play in their latest MLS match - so come on down - tickets are limited.

Cheer on former TFC Alumni whenever they're in town... there's lots of them.. it seems each week there's at least one

Pick up a mini-pack to cheer on Chad Barrett, Sam Cronin, Connor Casey (Yes he did !), as they play against MLS opposition at BMO.

LET'S GO FORMER TFC PLAYERS !

TOBOR !
06-04-2012, 02:13 PM
"Oh, yeah, cheering for DeRo is cool now that he's with another club and stuff... but I used to cheer for him while he was here, because I knew he'd leave and return to play here again one day as a former TFC player"... (against MLS opposition, like).

Roogsy
06-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Pick up an extra ticket or two for your friends to come down and cheer on former TFC Player of the Year Dwayne DeRosario as he plays for his latest club DC United.

Why are you looking in my direction when you say this? :lol:

MartinUtd
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
This has ABC written all over it.

prizby
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
i guess selling tickets to see beckham isn't ok as well...where was the complaint thread the previous 5 years???

TOBOR !
06-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Why are you looking in my direction when you say this? :lol:

Comedy Gold :D

TOBOR !
06-04-2012, 02:31 PM
i guess selling tickets to see beckham isn't ok as well...where was the complaint thread the previous 5 years???

The thing about pimping Beckham versus Boyd is one is a global brand sure to attract fans (of some description), while Kris Boyd used to play for a team with a local chapter of an international supporters club.

Promoting one is traying to take advantage of an event. Folks from all over will want to see Beckham and ask him to tell us how great Toronto is, but seliing "a chance to see a player who used to play for another team you support" is a desperate move by any measure.

Kris Boyd, who's club fell to Cal FC in the US Open Cup... if anything there's a chance to get on him for that.

Kris Boyd is in town... how glorious.

ManUtd4ever
06-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Pathetic as well as embarassing.

TFC07
06-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Fire TFC marketing department!!!

But, MLSE does the same with Raptors. Promoting other teams star players or sometimes player because of their race (Asia day when Raptors play against Lin).

How in the world is MLSE/TFC marketing department surviving all these years? Don't they know they're insulting Toronto sports fanbase when they do this?

Roogsy
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
I am somewhat on the fence on this. I have never begrudged MLSE making money as long as they take care of the team side of things (which they haven't.)

In this particular case, it makes sense to capitalize on the Ranger element of the game. And they should have reached out to Ranger fans. I just think they could have done a better job that doesn't make them look like such whores. Maybe hiring an arms-length 3rd party to manage promoting the game through the Ranger supporters clubs.

Pookie
06-04-2012, 02:41 PM
So here's a new low point.

Looks like the marketing dept at TFC has been courting Rangers supporters clubs in and around Toronto. They're offering up group seats behind the Portland Timbers bench and encouraging them to wear Rangers gear - presumably because of former Rangers striker Kris Boyd.

Put another way, the club is now actively approaching people to come and cheer for TFC opponents.

If there was ever a thought that this was a "club" and not just a money making machine, it's all been squashed in my eyes. What a disgrace.

Have you got a link or anything to make this even more facepalm worthy?

tfcleeds
06-04-2012, 02:49 PM
The funny thing is, I know of people on these boards who think Kris Boyd is a god, and will indeed be sitting in the away section for that match, wearing a Scotland jersey ;)

Roogsy
06-04-2012, 02:53 PM
What I can agree with on the OP is that it is poor form for a team to promoting cheering against their own club.

No self-respecting club would do that. Can you imagine an EPL or Liga team doing that?

It points to a lack of understanding on the part of the FO with regards to football culture.

ManUtd4ever
06-04-2012, 02:55 PM
The funny thing is, I know of people on these boards who think Kris Boyd is a god, and will indeed be sitting in the away section for that match, wearing a Scotland jersey ;)

And that's fine if that is their preference. The hardcore Rangers supporters would likely be at BMO Field regardless for the Timbers match to catch a rare glimpse of a club legend in person.

It's the blatant, desperate, pathetic nature of this MLSE marketing ploy that has left a bitter taste in the mouths of some supporters, and I completely agree with that sentiment.

Whoop
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
This almost a year one thing. Most expansion teams usually resort to something like that in their first year when everyone and their mother knows the team isn't good. So teams market it as "see team x as they take on player x, y, z and team a".

Goes to show what the FO thinks about a) the team and b) the supporters.

I'm with Roogsy, there could be a more subtle way of doing it via a 3rd party.

Richard
06-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Sounds like a Raptor game to be honest, come see the other teams star not ours!

Richard
06-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Fire TFC marketing department!!!

But, MLSE does the same with Raptors. Promoting other teams star players or sometimes player because of their race (Asia day when Raptors play against Lin).

How in the world is MLSE/TFC marketing department surviving all these years? Don't they know they're insulting Toronto sports fanbase when they do this?

I hate to say it but T.O fans are sheeps. Obviously not everyone, but lets just look at the Leafs.

Red I
06-04-2012, 03:07 PM
More importantly, it kind of goes against the idea of brand marketing... Instead of growing the brand, they are capitalizing on another brand (one more global, mind you) in order to gain short term revenue... What good does that do anybody?

Band-Aid solutions... Make a good team that people can buy into, and have some people in place who understand football culture and marketing. Don't water it down with this... it's embarassing

Roogsy
06-04-2012, 03:21 PM

Funniest part of all this, is that MLSE has a partner that can be the face of all this while the TFC FO still does all the legwork and allows them to save face.

It's the Canadian arm of MLS. It's the legal entity that pays the players playing in Canada since the US parent company "owns" the contracts. Use that entity as the face to promote the games in Canada as a "neutral" promoter and BAM! you have game promotions without appearing like the team is cheering against themselves.

Problem-solving, it's what I do. :lol:

Pookie
06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Do we have any specific examples of what they have sent? canadian_bhoy, how did you learn about this?

FO could spin it that they are simply selling group seats and Rangers groups have contacted them.

BeachTory
06-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Funniest part of all this, is that MLSE has a partner that can be the face of all this while the TFC FO still does all the legwork and allows them to save face.

It's the Canadian arm of MLS. It's the legal entity that pays the players playing in Canada since the US parent company "owns" the contracts. Use that entity as the face to promote the games in Canada as a "neutral" promoter and BAM! you have game promotions without appearing like the team is cheering against themselves.

Problem-solving, it's what I do. :lol:

Get a third party to do your pandering for you.
like...
last night having MLSE selling USA kits in the TFC team gear store. I am still shocked.

ryan
06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
our response should be to show up in rangers gear and cheer for him too.

canadian_bhoy
06-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Do we have any specific examples of what they have sent? canadian_bhoy, how did you learn about this?

FO could spin it that they are simply selling group seats and Rangers groups have contacted them.

Nothing on paper, this is all coming from people associated with NARSC. But there are a couple of posts earlier in the thread that also confirm.

It's sad to see how far its fallen. I'm sure the club thinks it only has to do with on field success, but I don't think that's entirely true. I think they took the fans for everything they could, they gouged people and pissed them off, so they left.

And now, instead of having loyal supporters, they have to spend tons of money on marketing and promotions, and use moderate stars of other teams to put bums in seats.

pdogg
06-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Nothing on paper, this is all coming from people associated with NARSC. But there are a couple of posts earlier in the thread that also confirm.

I've read through the posts twice now and the only person who is claiming that TFC is marketing directly to Rangers fans is yourself, all the others are only acknowledging that they are Rangers supporters - not that they received it. I'm not calling you a liar by any means, but this may be a case of a friend of a friend and the message is being changed along the way. Or the TFC FO is doing it directly. All the messages so far have been pile-ons to your original.

I guess all I'm saying is there is no proof of it - yet.

Shakes McQueen
06-04-2012, 04:37 PM

If the lack of marketing subtlety is our real issue, then it seems like we aren't really offended by this - we are just choosing to be.

I think it's super-dumb, and displays ignorance of football culture, but is it wrong that I just don't really care? A former Rangers player is coming to town, they have lots of empty seats, they reach out to Rangers supporters in the city. If we weren't so pissed at the front office already for the state of the on-field product, we wouldn't care.

I know I'm not an analytical mind, but this just gets a resounding meh from me. If it annoys you though, go for it - and I mean that sincerely.

- Scott

Whoop
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Meh, it's just one more piece for the body of evidence file labelled "TFC FO incompetence".

Beach_Red
06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
If the lack of marketing subtlety is our real issue, then it seems like we aren't really offended by this - we are just choosing to be.

I think it's super-dumb, and displays ignorance of football culture, but is it wrong that I just don't really care? A former Rangers player is coming to town, they have lots of empty seats, they reach out to Rangers supporters in the city. If we weren't so pissed at the front office already for the state of the on-field product, we wouldn't care.

I know I'm not an analytical mind, but this just gets a resounding meh from me. If it annoys you though, go for it - and I mean that sincerely.

- Scott

Well, it's connected, right? They have a lot of empty seats because they're in last place - but the organization never seems to make this connection - or if they do they just don't seem to care much. "Oh well, we'll find another way to sell tickets, we'll sell them for the opposition." It is insulting.

But the real danger is if it works and they sell a lot of tickets we'll see all kinds of washed-up Rangers players signed here.... ;)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Its too bad Mo Johnston is still not with the team.....then they could call on Both RANGERS AND CELTIC SUPPORTERS.......there would be more action in the stands then on the pitch! LOL MLSE would gets its loot! and TFC Supporters would get its entertament! ;)

Shakes McQueen
06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Well, it's connected, right? They have a lot of empty seats because they're in last place - but the organization never seems to make this connection - or if they do they just don't seem to care much. "Oh well, we'll find another way to sell tickets, we'll sell them for the opposition." It is insulting.

But the real danger is if it works and they sell a lot of tickets we'll see all kinds of washed-up Rangers players signed here.... ;)

Assuming this story (?) is even accurate, I doubt the conversation went like that. Selling a couple hundred tickets (if that) to some Rangers fans for one game does nothing to solve the actual empty seats problem.

More likely some schlub from the marketing department figured this would be a good way to sell a few tickets for the game, and that was the extent for the thought process.

Like I said - I just don't really care. Just give us a good team. That's all I care about. Then sell tickets to anyone who will buy them, sell us TFC branded gizmos and geegaws - whatever.

- Scott

brad
06-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I've read through the posts twice now and the only person who is claiming that TFC is marketing directly to Rangers fans is yourself, all the others are only acknowledging that they are Rangers supporters - not that they received it. I'm not calling you a liar by any means, but this may be a case of a friend of a friend and the message is being changed along the way. Or the TFC FO is doing it directly. All the messages so far have been pile-ons to your original.

I think a former President of the RPB should be given a bit of credibility in reporting on such things.

Wagner
06-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the founder of the group and first president is a credible source.

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2012, 06:52 PM

I'm not going to hunt down the email I deleted in my inbox but I'm on the NARSC mailling list and it mentioned TFC in the title. This was in the last month.

But I understand you not trusting a bhoy like the OP.g:D

glaze
06-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Well, did anyone get this email about the window to pre-buy additional seats? I like how TFC just mentioned other events happening around the stadium, whether its caribana, canada day, or the Ex.
What has TFC done to offer any added-value to ticket buyers? Have we ever had a bobblehead day? Aside from the scarves that come with our SSH package, the only TFC giveaway I can think of is the toques from the season-finale. MLSE just seems incapable of doing anything creative when it comes to attracting people to their stadiums. If you watch an nhl or baseball game from an american local broadcast, they are always announcing deals like 4 tickets, with hot dogs, drinks and programs (and sometimes parking) for like 50 bucks. They don't even try that stuff here with the marlies, let alone the raptors or tfc.

Thank you for helping us keep the Voyageurs Cup where it belongs and being a part of our fourth Canadian Championship. Details for CONCACAF Champions League tickets will be coming shortly.

With Summer just around the corner, we look forward to warm match days, cold Carlsberg and the sweetest patio in the city!

We also have a great lineup of special events planned for you this summer...

Date Opponent Event
June 23rd New England Canadian Armed Forces Night
June 30th New York Canada Day Celebration
July 28th Houston Caribbean Carnival Night
August 18th Kansas City CNE Match Day
October 6th DC United Oktoberfest

Huyton
06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Perhaps they should be convincing Rangers fans to come out to see TFC, because that's where Edu used to play.

Nestease
06-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Have we ever had a bobblehead day?

If I remember correctly there was a Danny Dichio bobblehead day in the first year. They had a Deguzman bobblehead, but for some reason gave them away at a Marlies game.

maxpower
06-04-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't get it. If we are reaching out to rangers fans, should we not also tell the celtic fans to sit in the south stand? It only makes sense To do both.

RedRum
06-04-2012, 11:57 PM
What makes it even more pathetic is that they already know most Rangers fans in Southern Ontario would be going to the game anyway, yet the chance to up-sell to more expensive tickets in 123 or 124 is just too tempting to pass up.

Cashcleaner
06-05-2012, 01:11 AM
I'm pretty sure the founder of the group and first president is a credible source.

I agree, but I'm trying to figure out why Rangers? I haven't heard anything about a friendly between the two clubs. If this is true, it's (rightly) damaging to the club.

It seems like there we've got a list of grievances that is getting longer and longer on a daily basis. Perhaps it's time for a short meeting between the execs and the club once again.

ManUtd4ever
06-05-2012, 06:55 AM
What makes it even more pathetic is that they already know most Rangers fans in Southern Ontario would be going to the game anyway, yet the chance to up-sell to more expensive tickets in 123 or 124 is just too tempting to pass up.

Bingo.

pdogg
06-05-2012, 07:16 AM
I think a former President of the RPB should be given a bit of credibility in reporting on such things.

I'm not going to hunt down the email I deleted in my inbox but I'm on the NARSC mailling list and it mentioned TFC in the title. This was in the last month.

But I understand you not trusting a bhoy like the OP.g:D

So where is the hole I crawl into and hide? :p

__wowza
06-05-2012, 08:01 AM
here's the sign im bringing to the portland game..

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/shit-is-fucked-up-and-stuff.jpg

Chevy
06-05-2012, 08:32 AM
^^ I was debating whether to suggest we're making a mountain out of a molehill on this. The post above just confirmed my original intention.

james
06-05-2012, 08:41 AM
If only MLSE would just give the South End tickets to the supporter groups exc., thats would be a start to solve some ticket problems. But i don't see MLSE ever letting go of having full control of there own ticket sales!

Gazza
06-05-2012, 08:49 AM
"Calling all Celtic supporters, come to BMO field, sit behind the visitor's bench and yell and throw things at former Ranger Kris Boyd!"

WestStandGeoff
06-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Well, did anyone get this email about the window to pre-buy additional seats? I like how TFC just mentioned other events happening around the stadium, whether its caribana, canada day, or the Ex.
What has TFC done to offer any added-value to ticket buyers? Have we ever had a bobblehead day? Aside from the scarves that come with our SSH package, the only TFC giveaway I can think of is the toques from the season-finale. MLSE just seems incapable of doing anything creative when it comes to attracting people to their stadiums. If you watch an nhl or baseball game from an american local broadcast, they are always announcing deals like 4 tickets, with hot dogs, drinks and programs (and sometimes parking) for like 50 bucks. They don't even try that stuff here with the marlies, let alone the raptors or tfc.

Well, they do have offers like that for the Marlies... $89 gets you 4 tickets, 4 food vouchers, a parking pass and a souvenir. I don't care enough about basketball to know if there are similar deals for Raptor games, but they do seem to really try to hustle people out to games when attendance drops to around12,000. TFC tickets aren't nearly in demand as much as they were a couple years ago, but they're still selling over 75% for each game. Compare that to Marlies barely getting 1,500 people into an arena that can hold 8,000 and you'll get one answer why they don't do similar deals for TFC.

canadian_bhoy
06-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Drove past "Real Sports" this morning to see New Jersey Devils and LA Kings gear hanging in the windows.

First of all, I find it pathetic that MLSE decided to open a generic retail chain to sell their merch instead of opening a club shop (Like the Jays or every other legitimate sports franchise in the world has).

Now seeing them post other team merch in the window really again shows just how pathetic a sports owner MLSE truly is.

You are the owners of one of the most historic sports teams in Canadian history and you can't even be proud of it, you can't even celebrate it. You're a pathetic excuse for an owner and are an embarrassment to sports.

Technorgasm
06-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Opposition makes the heart grow fonder. . I LOVE when we have away supports at BMO. . with our geography its far too infrequent. I support this action. I hoep that area os PACKED with huns as we take all the spoils from the game and have a target to point our Jeers.

Bars92
06-06-2012, 12:02 PM
its hard to get Rangers fans out of the pub/ Rangers club. I don't see this being a big thing, no need to panic

Beach_Red
06-06-2012, 12:59 PM
On its own it's not a big deal. Together with everything else they do its just sad.

Like the post above and their generic merchandise store - that's really what they are, generic.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
like...
last night having MLSE selling USA kits in the TFC team gear store. I am still shocked.

MLSE wasn't selling anything at the Canada - USA match. That would be the CSA. Last time I checked the MLSE evil empire didn't own the men's national team yet.

But fuck, let's blame them anyways. It's the 'in' thing to do. :facepalm:

Jack
06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
an embarrassment to sports.

Which is even worse than being an embarrassment to pilsner!

Fort York Redcoat
06-06-2012, 01:31 PM
like...

I'm not too disappointed. It was a one time shirt as ours was and if Yanks came all the way up and this was their only place to get it... Well I guess you're right. I wouldn't really care if they could buy their new kit or not.:lol:

It would be interesting to know how that agreement came about.

sulfur
06-06-2012, 02:02 PM
The Yank shirt wasn't a one-time shirt.

That's their new alternate kit.

BeachTory
06-06-2012, 04:28 PM
I have a photo of the display. it was the waldo top, the all blue top and the red t-shirt with federation crest.

If it was the CSA decision then i still find that odd but at least they had all the sizes for Canada tops this time - for love or money i could not get Canada kits at the Jamaica game back in time.

LOVE my blue Canada kit. I guess we wear red for Honduras - better for the TV audience.

Abou Sky
06-06-2012, 07:21 PM
TBH I wish TFC promoted to supporters from other clubs a lot more. FO should offer up hotel & ticket packages etc.

This in particular just seems dumb, but I like having outside supporters here.

Most USA supporters were pretty cool on Sunday, we can yell and shout but this isn't Greece and at the end of it we can shake hands and say 'thanks for coming out'

Anyway, I wish there was a more concerted effort by MLS to get together with a hotel chain and bus company and offer these to all fans across MLS.

Abou Sky
06-06-2012, 07:24 PM
The Yank shirt wasn't a one-time shirt.

That's their new alternate kit.

Wow, I totally thought that was THEIR centennial kit... Eek that is bad!

Possibly the worst national kit there is.

Huyton
08-16-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't remember seeing this last night!

here's the sign im bringing to the portland game..

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/shit-is-fucked-up-and-stuff.jpg