PDA

View Full Version : Personal names VS Player names when customizing a jersey?

Doucet3
06-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Was curious as to what Everyone thought ?.

Cause in my case I know we're getting a new home red kit next year and am just thinking what I want to get on the back; I have this years (well last years) with my own name, Doucet - 3) and am kinda torn between Henry and Soolsma on our new home ones ( I haven't ever bought an away whites), and to a lesser extent Kocic, Frings, Eckersley, and Plata

I usually get one a year, but am kinda weiry due to: will Henry be here in the future, will Soolsma be here for a while, I just don't want to have that feeling Dero fans had, we expected him to retire with us then left us within a year lol

Im also a Manchester United fan Have bought every home kit for the last 4 years (Rooney, Chicharito, Evra, Owen) and this year am debating between Vidic, Young, Welbeck

Either way I was just curious to what you thought
:tfc: :rant: :tfc:

Furtado91
06-03-2012, 06:59 AM
I always get my own name on the back. Players come and go, but you are here to stay. Plus it really makes you feel like the 12th man when you put on your jersey and your name is on the back.

Shakes McQueen
06-03-2012, 07:23 AM
So far my kits are all nameless, but if I did get a name on the back, it would be a player name. I don't really get the point of putting your own name on the back - why not just keep it blank, in that case?

Only player I would consider getting on a jersey right now, is Koevermans. Guy gets the job done, has a fire in his belly, and speaks the truth away from the pitch. Love him.

Dutch Danny Dichio. 3D.

- Scott

nascarguy
06-03-2012, 07:28 AM
put the player you like on it yeah player's do come and go but if you really like a player show you support him by putting his name on your jersey and I think it's too soon to puting Kocic, Frings, Eckersley, Henry , Soolsma and Plata on a jersey

shwade
06-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Putting your own name is lame as shit.

Huyton
06-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Put your board name on the back.

Abou Sky
06-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Never really thought about it too much, got Eck on one of my son's many jerseys. I only own one TFC jersey because unless you are in great shape football jerseys make you look fat.

I think I would personally feel dumb with my own name on a jersey, but for a kid I think it is kind of cool because of the whole 'one day I am gonna play for TFC thing'

If I were to get a name on Henry would be up there as one, Eck too. Maybe Lambe as I love his play.

Satan 666 would be kind of lame...

Wife refused to go to pride with me wearing hockey jerseys with 'Breeder XX' and 'Breeder XY' on them, I thought that was clever...

Anyway, I am rambling...

Furtado91
06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Put your board name on the back.

Thats why mine says Furtado91 ahahahahaha.

Whoop
06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Only jerseys have, if I have a name, is usually of a retired player.

Cashcleaner
06-04-2012, 01:49 AM
I always get my own name on the back. Players come and go, but you are here to stay. Plus it really makes you feel like the 12th man when you put on your jersey and your name is on the back.

Couldn't agree more. I don't look at it as an ego thing, either. Like you said players come and go. That said, I haven't put anything on the back of my TFC shirts. No particular reason why, I just never got around to it.

TOBOR !
06-04-2012, 07:35 AM

I've always thought this as well... until I read Furtsy's reasoning. To some degree that makes some sense. Number 12, with your name. Makes sense.

Now Huyton's idea is a good one as well. More people are going to recognize you this way as well.

As far as player names go, you're never guaranteed that the player will be around long (ask ArmenJBX), or won't turn out to be the greatest of twats. For that reason you're best to get someone who has retired or has a great rep.

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Player. Always.

Doesn't matter how long they play or what they do afterwards I want to date myself. I guess that makes it about me as well but not to the extent of putting one's own name on their back. Plus I like the fact it could be signed and retired from overuse. I'm not going to sign my own jersey if it gets worn out.

spark
06-04-2012, 09:59 AM

Whatever man, I have my own name and only wear it with fake TFC tattoo sleeves and a giant red and white cat in the hat hat.

McBrace
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I put my Dad's Name on the back. He and I bought tickets together in season one, he passed away in 2010. I say do whatever you feel is right.

Joe Kool
06-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I have alot of jerseys with alot of different players names. I feel they have to earn it in my eyes first then I will wear the jersey with pride with their name. If they become assholes on or off the pitch I will not wear the jersey anymore but luckily that only happened to me with one jersey. Due to the rotating locker room at TFC I could never pick a name for my TFC jerseys until I bought a black one last year and put Frei's name on it. I don't like putting my own name on it cause to me it just seems odd to me. I think my red home jerseys will stay blank for now. I almost pulled the trigger on a DeRosario one back when we signed him but held off since I already had a MLS All-Star jersey with DeRo on it and I guess it is good that I held off based on what ensued later on. In the end it is a personal preference so in the words of the Digital Underground "doowutchyalike".

bertal
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I keep my jerseys blank. I'll get one with a name for a cut price or if the team wins a trophy. For example, I would have got a DeRo jersey after that NCC win over Montreal then that contract controversy made me think otherwise. So, it really a matter of preference for you!

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Whatever man, I have my own name and only wear it with fake TFC tattoo sleeves and a giant red and white cat in the hat hat.

Haha well said. In the end "To each his own" Thanks for reminding me of those sleeves though. Fun times.

Shway
06-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Canadians, Internationals and Club Hero's only, no americans as i think some american players dont prefer to play in Canada. and the league we live in, trades make this possible

brad
06-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Get a club legend like Lombardo or Canizales on the back.

Phil
06-05-2012, 01:49 PM
I always want to keep them blank but sometimes cave. I would go player but that is just me.

I still wear my dichio one all the time. I would consider Frings, DK or Ecks right now.

C.Barrett19
06-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Does anyone know the name of the company that prints the names on the jerseys at bmo field?

Just One Man
06-14-2012, 10:17 AM
I almost always leave my soccer shirts nameless. They look fine without the lettering, and especially for TFC, its not likely the player will be around long.

I have never (and would never) go the personalization route. I am not on the team, I have never been on the team, therefore my name does not belong on the jersey.

jabbronies
06-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Just get a number. No name.

Fort York Redcoat
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
I almost always leave my soccer shirts nameless. They look fine without the lettering, and especially for TFC, its not likely the player will be around long.

I have never (and would never) go the personalization route. I am not on the team, I have never been on the team, therefore my name does not belong on the jersey.

Appreciate the respect for the crest but they ARE called replica jerseys. Again, it's a personal choice. However you see it, stick with it or don't.

Jack
06-14-2012, 12:15 PM
I won't get names on mine. I have a Ricketts that I won in some sort of a draw at Shoeless Joe's one night (surprise, surprise, my memory is a little foggy on which draw). I'd consider getting Dichio, but that's about it. .