PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,May,31

denime
05-31-2012, 05:34 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Winter "Happy" With New Facility

(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/05/winter-happy-new-facility)Reasons to stick with TFC (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/30/reasons-to-stick-with-tfc)

MLSE exec feeling more upbeat about Toronto FC

(http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1202804--mlse-exec-feeling-more-upbeat-about-toronto-fc)
(http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1202804--mlse-exec-feeling-more-upbeat-about-toronto-fc)New TFC facility by the numbers (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1202883--new-tfc-facility-by-the-numbers)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/05/winter-happy-new-facility)

Fort York Redcoat
05-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Canada tix in 112 almost sold out!!!

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31096-UPDATE-Canada-Tix-for-112-vs-USA-and-WCQ!!!

All remaining unpurchased tix for 112 can be bought in person for cold hard cash!! I'll be at Maro pregame but PM for tix before then!! First come, first serve!! Let's show the Boys why they want to play in Toronto!!

USA game $25
Honduras WCQ $20

and why not get kitted up for the occasion?? I did.

http://csa.rmpathletic.com/en/csa-determined-cvc-polo-2.html

https://p.twimg.com/AsjWZIoCMAADXpZ.jpg

Stouffville_RPB
05-31-2012, 07:03 AM
Morning D!

scooter
05-31-2012, 07:17 AM
mornin d

well done canadian ladies

Technorgasm
05-31-2012, 07:21 AM
canada isnt bringing sexy back. . . . . . its just written in to who we are. . . .

bigredone
05-31-2012, 07:37 AM
Great game CWNT! Good attendance too!!!

flambe
05-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Not really news, but couldn't find another suitable spot:
http://www.beautifulgear.com/2012/05/umbro-canada-centenary-shirt/

This looks like a great site for some footie swag!

denime
05-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Not really news, but couldn't find another suitable spot:
http://www.beautifulgear.com/2012/05/umbro-canada-centenary-shirt/

This looks like a great site for some footie swag!

You mean this jersey,just few posts above yours?

Canada tix in 112 almost sold out!!!

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31096-UPDATE-Canada-Tix-for-112-vs-USA-and-WCQ!!!

All remaining unpurchased tix for 112 can be bought in person for cold hard cash!! I'll be at Maro pregame but PM for tix before then!! First come, first serve!! Let's show the Boys why they want to play in Toronto!!

USA game $25
Honduras WCQ $20

and why not get kitted up for the occasion?? I did.

http://csa.rmpathletic.com/en/csa-determined-cvc-polo-2.html

https://p.twimg.com/AsjWZIoCMAADXpZ.jpg

Roogsy
05-31-2012, 08:51 AM
“It feels better than it did two weeks ago and hopefully we can build from there,”

This is the problem with Uncle Tom. He dismisses what had been happening before "two weeks ago" because of what happened in the last two weeks.

It's the perpetual problem with all teams in Toronto. As long as you have a good spell, what happened before is ignored. It's why every year Leaf fans go into the off-season on a high, despite the Leafs missing the playoffs yet again, just because in the last few games they put together a good run for a few games.

Seasons should be evaluated as a whole, not just on the good parts.

Winter should be evaluated on his 60+ game record, not on one month of results.

flambe
05-31-2012, 09:18 AM
You mean this jersey,just few posts above yours?

No, I meant the site in general.

Auzzy
05-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Highlights of the women's game Canada vs China last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gErTIm5ojI

Highlights a bit short, surely the game was not as one-sided as that, but there were some nice opportunities in addition to the late winner.

Oldtimer
05-31-2012, 09:48 AM
This is the problem with Uncle Tom. He dismisses what had been happening before "two weeks ago" because of what happened in the last two weeks.

It's the perpetual problem with all teams in Toronto. As long as you have a good spell, what happened before is ignored. It's why every year Leaf fans go into the off-season on a high, despite the Leafs missing the playoffs yet again, just because in the last few games they put together a good run for a few games.

Seasons should be evaluated as a whole, not just on the good parts.

Winter should be evaluated on his 60+ game record, not on one month of results.

Anselmi is actually being very sensible based on his organization's goals. While they would make more money from being in the playoffs, going on a run near the end is all you need to make people hopeful and have the SSH base renew. That's why going on a run near the end is the realistic goal for TFC. If they happen to luck out and hit the playoffs, so much the better. He can claim he was a genius for sticking by Winter. If they massively fail, he'll fire Winter at the end and look decisive. If they do mediocre, he'll say they are "building for the future." It's all good for him.

Roogsy
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
I wonder what his compensation is?

I want a job where no matter what I do, I can't screw up AND I get paid for it.

I bet he's in the 4-5mill range.

pekduck
05-31-2012, 10:00 AM

don't you already have a job like that? =P

(without that kind of compensation of course)

j/k lol

TOBOR !
05-31-2012, 10:09 AM
No, I meant the site in general.

Nah - it's just a blog about gear

Fort York Redcoat
05-31-2012, 10:16 AM

I just got a picture of a Juggalo Anselmi in my head. Thanks for that.

Roogsy
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
don't you already have a job like that? =P

(without that kind of compensation of course)

j/k lol

:lol:

No sir...my job is quite the opposite. No performance = no clients = no job.

I am the anti-MLSE.

ag futbol
05-31-2012, 11:48 AM
All these Anselmi quotes are junk. The guy is doing nothing more than framing responsibility around people that are not him and trying to paint a picture of himself as some kind of disappointed patriarch. On another note, our half-baked training ground press conference / distraction was right on cue ...

Forgive me for being so negative, but I am perpetually sick of TFC tip-toeing around the subject that they are perhaps the most futile MLS club in history. I want a few virgins thrown into the volcano to satisfy my thrust for blood.

Fort York Redcoat
05-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Forgive me for being so negative, but I am perpetually sick of TFC tip-toeing around the subject that they are perhaps the most futile MLS club in history. I want a few virgins thrown into the volcano to satisfy my thrust for blood.

Your metaphor needs a retouch. There have been several virgin footy coaches that have been pitched already.You're more interested in the virgin footy GM. We may need a bigger volcano...

trane
05-31-2012, 12:06 PM
:lol:

No sir...my job is quite the opposite. No performance = no clients = no job.

I am the anti-MLSE.

Hahahahhah. So fucking true.

Yohan
05-31-2012, 12:28 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/4137/goalcom-all-access/2012/05/30/3137489/jay-demerit-journal-the-life-of-an-mls-player

Part of Jay Demerit's blog. Ridiculous traveling schedule MLS teams have to suffer through

Eastend
05-31-2012, 01:05 PM

But he is doing his job from a MLSE perspective. TFC is printing money as are all MLSE ventures. I'm not saying I'm happy since I am a supporter of the team but in terms of what his role is he is not failing.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Dom

Roogsy
05-31-2012, 01:18 PM
As COO, his job is not to "make money" but to operate the units effectively. Since it's widely agreed that most of the important MLSE units/properties are not being run effectively (success in the standings being the single biggest measurement of a sports teams effectiveness) you could argue that the units are likely worth more if they were operated at a higher performance level. I would not agree with the fact that their profitability is proof that he is doing his job right. You could make a case that their profitability would be higher if he was doing his job better or if someone else did.

Interesting point. More and more companies decide to operate without a COO. The reason being that most times business units are able to report directly to the CEO without reducing their effectiveness.

Oldtimer
05-31-2012, 01:47 PM
More and more companies decide to operate without a COO. The reason being that most times business units are able to report directly to the CEO without reducing their effectiveness.

sooo... you are saying that Tom Anselmi is redundant? :D

Roogsy
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
sooo... you are saying that Tom Anselmi is redundant? :D

Absolutely.

But then again, MLSE is such a ridiculous beaurocracy, it's not surprising. I mean, the TFC management structure alone should tell you how MLSE operates. They LIVE for creating more positions than is necessary. Efficiency is not what they're known for.

Pookie
05-31-2012, 03:28 PM
I like the quote yesterday about the Academy being revolutionary. I think it is a great addition to development in this country. That said:

- The U12 and U13 programs run as once a week supplemental training to club training. Players still play with their club.
- The camps cost $525 per week
- Player "clinics" are $100 a shot

Not sure how much development is going to occur in those environments. One week per year in a camp is going to make a difference? Further, lots of former players, licensed coaches, clubs and SAAC members offer camps in the summer or supplemental training through the year.

I'll give them the focused training with the U15 and up teams. Can't hurt to learn in that environoment and philosophy but if you peel back the onion, the U17s were learning from Jim Brennan who had just acquired his coaching license. Some SAAC clubs for those age groups (and younger) also have former players, some with Canadian and UEFA licensing with the primary focus on development. Not sure I'm ready to call the offering revolutionary at this point.

Richard
05-31-2012, 03:33 PM
I like the quote yesterday about the Academy being revolutionary. I think it is a great addition to development in this country. That said:

- The U12 and U13 programs run as once a week supplemental training to club training. Players still play with their club.
- The camps cost $525 per week
- Player "clinics" are $100 a shot

Not sure how much development is going to occur in those environments. One week per year in a camp is going to make a difference? Further, lots of former players, licensed coaches, clubs and SAAC members offer camps in the summer or supplemental training through the year.

I'll give them the focused training with the U15 and up teams. Can't hurt to learn in that environoment and philosophy but if you peel back the onion, the U17s were learning from Jim Brennan who had just acquired his coaching license. Some SAAC clubs for those age groups (and younger) also have former players, some with Canadian and UEFA licensing with the primary focus on development. Not sure I'm ready to call the offering revolutionary at this point.

Dichio said its ateast top 10 in the world, more like top 100 for me. They may have the facility now but as you say coaching or the programs offered is what takes it to the next level.

Auzzy
05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
It's revolutionary... for TFC.

I can't believe the turmoil that TFC has gone through over the last 6 years just wrt. their MLS team training locations. Read Demerit's blog about the MLS travel hassle. Then imagine you're a TFC player just back from one of those trips. A day or two later you head back to BMO, but then based on the weather or whatever else, you have to hop on a bus to Oakville or Cherry Beach for training, likely travelling during the morning rush hour. Alot of the training is happening on plastic fields of various quality levels. After training, you hop back in the bus before you can go the weight room, any of the baths or rehab, etc. I suppose it was almost easier when BMO field was still plastic, at least they could train there -- until the plastic pitch quickly got so bad that anywhere was better than there.

I wonder if the training facilities for any of the other MLS teams have been like that over the past 6 years? Downsview should be a huge improvement just for that reason.

ag futbol
05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
It's revolutionary... for TFC.
That's exactly what I would say. It offers the club something it didn't have before, but I haven't seen any specs that suggest this is somehow revolutionary compared to the way other teams are operating.

Roogsy
05-31-2012, 04:21 PM
What's really "revolutionary" for Toronto is a winning season.

BAZINGA!

scooterTFC
05-31-2012, 10:02 PM
All these Anselmi quotes are junk. The guy is doing nothing more than framing responsibility around people that are not him and trying to paint a picture of himself as some kind of disappointed patriarch. On another note, our half-baked training ground press conference / distraction was right on cue ...

Why are they constantly trying to "sell" us on the Academy? I have seasons tickets to see the first team play. The Blue Jays dont do a PR push to update fans on the new clubhouse for their single A team.

I guess they are expecting me to view the academy investment as a sign of hope for the future as the team of the present is so hopeless. I just don't get why player development is a core focus of the clubs marketing?

Roogsy
05-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Why are they constantly trying to "sell" us on the Academy? I have seasons tickets to see the first team play. The Blue Jays dont do a PR push to update fans on the new clubhouse for their single A team.

I guess they are expecting me to view the academy investment as a sign of hope for the future as the team of the present is so hopeless. I just don't get why player development is a core focus of the clubs marketing?

Because they need something to take the focus away from the first team.

Classic diversion and it obviously works.

Wagner
06-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Because they need something to take the focus away from the first team.

Classic diversion and it obviously works.

No one is buying Season Ticket Packages because of the Academy or the Training Facility.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2012, 06:42 AM
They are showcasing the Academy for the reason it is a foreign concept to many outside the game or the team. This is North America. The subject of our Academy regardless of this investment deserves attention.

When the SUPERDUPER draft isn't the default focus of up and coming talent for the casual NA fan I can see the Academy news not being news.

Roogsy
06-01-2012, 08:40 AM
No one is buying Season Ticket Packages because of the Academy or the Training Facility.

No one is saying they are.

But the amount of "credit" that goes to the team by a lot of people on here and the fuss made about the academy, a normal and regular part of any soccer club, shows that their diversion works and helps keep the masses appeased.

Developing youth is nothing new or revolutionary either in soccer nor in most other sports.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2012, 09:00 AM
No one is saying they are.

But the amount of "credit" that goes to the team by a lot of people on here and the fuss made about the academy, a normal and regular part of any soccer club, shows that their diversion works and helps keep the masses appeased.

Developing youth is nothing new or revolutionary either in soccer nor in most other sports.

NA Pro teams Academies regular and normal? That would depend on your definition. How many MLS teams had Academies to their name 5 years ago?

Worldwide its normal but we live in NA.

And until I see a huge honkin' list of people who cite their renewal on that awesome academy MLSE built I cry bullshit.

Roogsy
06-01-2012, 09:08 AM
You cry bullshit about what? I just said people aren't renewing based on the academy alone.

Comprehension. It's a useful skill.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Condescension. It's a useless skill.

and until people are renewing because of the Academy I don't see an overabundance of credit given by the masses. Mountain out of molehill.

Roogsy
06-01-2012, 09:39 AM
So credit only equals ticket buying? With that kind of logic, no wonder this team can't make progress.

Nobody made a mountain out of anything until you started your whining. Stating observations aren't always about making a fuss. Sometimes they are just observations. It's ridiculous that any statement made on this board is immediately cast in the light of a complaint. I am not complaining about the academy. It's what this team should be doing. But by the same token, since they should be doing it, (because otherwise they'd be putting themselves at a disadvantage to other teams) then it's not exactly revolutionary. It's pretty simple logic.

But much like a lot to do with this team, we applaud this team when they do things they are expected to do like somehow they're being brilliant when what they are really doing is re-inventing the wheel and then when their feet should be held to the fire over things they aren't doing, we do nothing. What you are looking at is a recipe for mediocrity. Welcome to Toronto.

Let me know when this organization does something truly revolutionary for them and sports in this town...like put together a contending winning team.

Beach_Red
06-01-2012, 09:53 AM
NA Pro teams Academies regular and normal? That would depend on your definition. How many MLS teams had Academies to their name 5 years ago?

Worldwide its normal but we live in NA.

And until I see a huge honkin' list of people who cite their renewal on that awesome academy MLSE built I cry bullshit.

Ensco mentioned the different labour laws in NA affecting academies but didn't elaborate. How does it work? Can these kids sign pro contracts before they turn 18? Or does the TFC academy develop them and then just hope that when they turn 18 they decide to sign here?

backbeat
06-01-2012, 09:54 AM
So credit only equals ticket buying? With that kind of logic, no wonder this team can't make progress.

Nobody made a mountain out of anything until you started your whining. Stating observations aren't always about making a fuss. Sometimes they are just observations. It's ridiculous that any statement made on this board is immediately cast in the light of a complaint. I am not complaining about the academy. It's what this team should be doing. But by the same token, since they should be doing it, (because otherwise they'd be putting themselves at a disadvantage to other teams) then it's not exactly revolutionary. It's pretty simple logic.

But much like a lot to do with this team, we applaud this team when they do things they are expected to do like somehow they're being brilliant when what they are really doing is re-inventing the wheel and then when their feet should be held to the fire over things they aren't doing, we do nothing. What you are looking at is a recipe for mediocrity. Welcome to Toronto.

Let me know when this organization does something truly revolutionary for them and sports in this town...like put together a contending winning team.

I'm no MLSE proponent BUT as far as MLS standards it certainly appears to me that they have indeed gone beyond the standard - and i agree they should do that if we hope to build a long term, solid team that competes year after year. MLSE have sunk coin into this, significant coin, and I'm sure with expectation that they will reap dollar rewards. None-the-less what they have done is state-of-the-art in N.A. - well beyond the "standard"

Roogsy
06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm no MLSE proponent BUT as far as MLS standards it certainly appears to me that they have indeed gone beyond the standard - and i agree they should do that if we hope to build a long term, solid team that competes year after year. MLSE have sunk coin into this, significant coin, and I'm sure with expectation that they will reap dollar rewards. None-the-less what they have done is state-of-the-art in N.A. - well beyond the "standard"

Several MLS teams already have academy and team grounds that rival this. They're not shiny new like TFC's, but multiple fields, physio rooms, classrooms etc. is already in place.

It's nice. It's like getting a new car. Looks pretty. But does it get you from A-B any faster than your neighbour's 3 year old car? Probably not. So yeah, enjoy the new car but let's not act like the team has done something so innovative it gives them an advantage. This is as innovative as that shiny new "system" we have in place that has produced such awesome results so far.

And much like the team itself, that is the 3rd highest in the league, unless this Academy produces product that helps the team win at a higher rate than other teams with their less than state-of-the-art facilities, then it's a waste of money, at least from our perspective. My guess is that TFC results is not the ultimate goal of this new facility and there is a business plan behind it that accounts for some kind of return on the investment that has little to do with TFC. Rental of the facility maybe? MLSE are keen Real Estate investors, I am guessing asset accumulation is also a part of it. But unless you can connect this investement with direct benefits to the pitch that are proportionate to the investment made, then I have as much interest in this facility as I do in their condo.

Roogsy
06-01-2012, 10:11 AM
And for the record, I do realize how jaded I sound but I think for good reason.

MLSE has shown to be able to make money, but their profitability does not translate to results. So unless that profit they are making finds it's way into my pocket, I could care less if they make money or not, it's the results on the pitch/ice/court that I care about.

MLSE has shown to be willing to spend buckets of money to product underperforming teams. So great, they spent buckets on this facility. Is anyone here convinced that they will produce better players than some private academies that have a fraction of the budget? Or the other MLS team academies that don't spend as much but still produce MLS players? Or the Colleges that produce the players drafted into the league? Shoot...South American clubs don't spend a fraction of this kind of money and produce 10x the players.

Efficiency impresses me. MLSE are the worst example of efficiency. Therefore, I am not impressed. They could spend $100million on a training facility, it's useless to me if it doesn't produce better results on the pitch.

Whoop
06-01-2012, 10:33 AM
An academy is nice and all, and welcomed, but why is something that be part of standard operation procedures be celebrated like manna from heaven?

It will be interesting to see if the TFC academy produces better players down the road than the numerous private academies that belong to SAAC out in the area.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2012, 10:35 AM

By your token credit only equals winning games? You are jaded if you think nothing else deserves mention and slight "the masses" who wish to point it out.

Maybe concentrating on what could be done vs what has already been done being not enough or soon enough would be more proactive.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2012, 10:39 AM
An academy is nice and all, and welcomed, but why is something that be part of standard operation procedures be celebrated like manna from heaven?

It will be interesting to see if the TFC academy produces better players down the road than the numerous private academies that belong to SAAC out in the area.

Holy Fuck. The longer we keep this discussion going the bigger the hyperbole. If you want to disregard it you're better off not addressing it not making outrageous descriptions out of run-of-the-mill mentions.

I too look forward to the competition that will be developing between TFC Accies and the SAAC.

Whoop
06-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Pete, I would suggest TFC is the one making hyperbolic statements. ;)

But like Pookie points out there are still some flaws with the Academy... namely the quality of coaching there.

The investment is nice and all but I hope the same level of investment is there 10 years from now especially since it will likely take that long, if not longer, to see a return on that investment.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
"That's nice"

That's all i needed to hear. It doesn't mean we're world beaters that will name our babies after MLSE.g:D

Phil
06-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Its going to take years for academy results, and I am fine with that.

The first team is seperate from that for a long time and should be measured accordingly.

Roogsy
06-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Pete, I would suggest TFC is the one making hyperbolic statements. ;)

But like Pookie points out there are still some flaws with the Academy... namely the quality of coaching there.

The investment is nice and all but I hope the same level of investment is there 10 years from now especially since it will likely take that long, if not longer, to see a return on that investment.

Exactly.

Pookie
06-01-2012, 11:35 AM

To me this is a fundamental question that really has no answer at this point.

Take an U11 player in in SAAC. This fall, this player will have an option to go out for both District (assuming registration politics go away) and TFC-A . Both are supplemental development programs at this point meaning that they offer 1 additional night of training per week. I don't know how qualified the TFC-A coach is but I know that at least one District guy holds his UEFA license.

The SAAC club that the player belongs to could also involve coaches with Canadian A licenses as well as UEFA. Most employ former professional players at some level. Most operate summer camps. Most offer off-season supplemental training.

Is this U11 player better suited to join TFC-A (which is free) once a week or go with District and the UEFA coach for a fee for the one night per week? Based on qualifications, I might lean to District. Let's also not forget geography as the catchment area stretches out from London to Ottawa. What is going to be so unqiue about TFC-A that gets the U12 player's parents to drive from Peterborough or Guelph once a week into Toronto?

I think many would make that drive if there was some superior offering. I see a nice building with a plan that models what I can get at SAAC.

Let's explore the older guys now. Is a player at U15 better suited to join TFC-A with former MLS players and their "B" licenses or stick with SAAC and the more qualified coaching? Both programs have a higher ratio of training to games, both offer 10 month training and off-field support. Some might offer scholarship assistance, some might offer pathways to provincial or national teams. One costs more while the other is is free, though since nothing is ever free you have to weigh the trade off with player "rights"

Considering that the OPDL is about to start in 2014 which borrows all kinds of ideas from SAAC and other Academy programs worldwide, what is TFC-A really offering that is unique? Or more importantly, what is it offering that is better than what already exists with SAAC and is coming with the OPDL?

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2012, 12:12 PM
^Pook, I know the above outlines obstacles for the future of development in our province but all I can think is how exciting it is to have multiple options! It raises opportunities for competition for overall qualities in programs.

I'm sorry for the parents of kids who actually have to be a part of trialing which path is better suited in this time of change but on the outside looking in I'm chuffed that we're witnessing this change occurring!!

Pookie
06-01-2012, 12:18 PM
I too think the options are great. I would just encourage parents to look at each and weigh the pros and cons. TFC-A is a great addition to the pathways... and isn't it good to see pathways finally.... but as always, informed consumers usually win out.

Whoop
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
The one way TFC-A can win out is to offer superior coaching and development which costs $$$. (technology, equipment, personnel, facilities, etc.) You figure TFC has the $$$ to invest in that, question is will they? At the end of the day that is the one huge advantage that TFC has. If they can provide that at a minimal cost to parents/players, the choice will be easier.

Facilities are nice and can attract but ultimately the measure of success is based on the people that are employed by the team and what they can offer.

That's the area where Canada has to catch up to the rest of the world. Either develop quality coaching within the country or bring in quality coaches from overseas who can teach.

It's fine to want to teach the players but you also need the infrastructure to teach the coaches.

Pookie
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
^ agreed. I would also like to see them offer things that others can't.

It's where I was going with the whole Academy vs NCAA salary thing in the other thread. Reward the kids that come through the program, even if you don't have to.

Offer bursaries, scholarships... something beyond what they can get elsewhere. Again, we think of this program as Provincial but how many parents of 13-14-15 year olds are going to move from Ottawa or Thunder Bay for their kids' soccer career? Even a 3 x week from London to Toronto seems less than what most are willing to do.

The older kids might be billeted or benefit from a residence but really, how many parents are going to go that route? In their minds (and they are the ones spending the cash), this isn't the Ontario Hockey League.

Make it worth their while.

Roogsy
06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
The one way TFC-A can win out is to offer superior coaching and development which costs $$$. (technology, equipment, personnel, facilities, etc.) You figure TFC has the $$$ to invest in that, question is will they? At the end of the day that is the one huge advantage that TFC has. If they can provide that at a minimal cost to parents/players, the choice will be easier.

There is a general agreement that MLSE is willing to spend the money. But the question everyone forgets to ask is whether they spend the money wisely.

Is a huge $20million facility necessary? From a business standpoint perhaps, but from a performance standpoint, not really. Clubs in poor countries produce the best talents in environments that make our elementary school yards look like paradise. The real impact will be felt not by spending money on the nicest jacuzzi, but whether they bring in the best and brightest minds to teach the kids. Given the political situation within MLSE, I don't have a lot of faith that they necessarily know what they are doing in that regard. Building nice facilities? Hey! MLSE is great at that. Bringing in the right people? Not so much. And that will be the difference. Like I said, they could spend $100million on the facility, it won't mean jack shit if they can't get better performance.

Pookie
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Personally, to further Roogsy's point, I am skeptical at the motivation to engage in an Academy at all. It seems more like a league wide initiative to build more value into the Adidas deal. The more youth they can count as in the program (ie. daily clinics, summer camps, etc) the more they can earn in the next deal.

FC Dallas went from 2,500 to 5,000 kids. Clearly, that number in no way represents the number of kids on their U17 team.

jabbronies
06-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Being with TFC-A gives you more exposure into the MLS than being on a district team no?

Pookie
06-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Being with TFC-A gives you more exposure into the MLS than being on a district team no?

Well no. Technically, District is for U12 players. They then go to Regional at U13 and then Provincial teams after that.

So, would being with TFC-A at U12 and U13 (once a week while still playing with their clubs) give them any exposure into MLS? Clearly, no. It would give them more exposure to other TFC-A coaches and teams but that's about it.

Would the U17 player get more exposure at TFC-A over a Provincial player? Perhaps. Most likely a TFC-A player might also play Provincial if given the opportunity.

But a non-TFC-A Player playing Provincial (with no MLS Academy rights owed to any one team) could arguably have more MLS options (Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto) than a TFC-A player who is tied to Toronto and available roster openings. This non TFC-A player might also have NCAA routes which may or may not be made available to a TFC-A player.

we can debate the merits of NCAA vs Academy in a whole other thread ;)

jabbronies
06-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Well no. Technically, District is for U12 players. They then go to Regional at U13 and then Provincial teams after that.

So, would being with TFC-A at U12 and U13 (once a week while still playing with their clubs) give them any exposure into MLS? Clearly, no. It would give them more exposure to other TFC-A coaches and teams but that's about it.

Would the U17 player get more exposure at TFC-A over a Provincial player? Perhaps. Most likely a TFC-A player might also play Provincial if given the opportunity.

But a non-TFC-A Player playing Provincial (with no MLS Academy rights owed to any one team) could arguably have more MLS options (Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto) than a TFC-A player who is tied to Toronto and available roster openings. This non TFC-A player might also have NCAA routes which may or may not be made available to a TFC-A player.

we can debate the merits of NCAA vs Academy in a whole other thread ;)

Sorry, this is what I was getting at. Being at the Academy later in age gives more exposure to MLS options.

The major problem I've found with the u-12/ u-13 levels in this city is that they are not focused on development, rather more focused on winning. Once a player has tapped out in how they can compete, they are discarded instead of developed. I can only assume TFC-A is setup to have the ability to train their own youth who can then step up later on with the already developed skills needed to compete and develop further.

Our team picked up a kid who was a starter on a higher team but then rode the bench and was quickly left off his previous team. We had to re-train the kid how to pass/receive/ maintain ball possession. No idea how he was a starter with the lack of skill/knowledge that he had. I can only assume TFC-A is setup to avoid situations like this.

Pookie
06-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Sorry, this is what I was getting at. Being at the Academy later in age gives more exposure to MLS options.

The major problem I've found with the u-12/ u-13 levels in this city is that they are not focused on development, rather more focused on winning. Once a player has tapped out in how they can compete, they are discarded instead of developed. I can only assume TFC-A is setup to have the ability to train their own youth who can then step up later on with the already developed skills needed to compete and develop further.

Our team picked up a kid who was a starter on a higher team but then rode the bench and was quickly left off his previous team. We had to re-train the kid how to pass/receive/ maintain ball possession. No idea how he was a starter with the lack of skill/knowledge that he had. I can only assume TFC-A is setup to avoid situations like this.

I think you'd find that if you moved to SAAC for the U13 (and under) you'd find a HUGE difference in focus. I say that as a former Rep Coach in the Club system. For me, it has been a terrific and eye opening experience to see the difference.

Even Refs will comment that you can tell the difference between parents in a SAAC program vs a Club team. The SAAC parents are (usually) not coaching from the sidelines.

Trying to be objective, I think that at the younger ages if you have a kid playing for a SAAC team 3 x week, they would be much further ahead in their development than playing with a Club Team + 1 night a week with TFC-A. Once the OSA's LTPD model takes hold, we'll see. That new OPD League will be another interesting development as Clubs will be required to adopt Academy-like standards in order to participate in the top tiers.

If you have 20-25 clubs and SAAC members offering a training focus (3:1 training to game ratio), qualified paid coaches, a focus on individual development, therapists, etc... how will TFC-A compare to that? What would make them different, aside from the cache of their name?

As for the older guys, I think SAAC and TFC-A are offering similar options. More emphasis on training and emphasis on paid, quality coaching. That said, I have no idea what the coaching credentials are at TFC-A. Brennan was rumored to have his B license. Being a former player doesn't sell me on either SAAC or TFC-A. I want quality coaches

As for more MLS options, I'm not sure. Take 2 Provincial players of similar skill. One whose MLS rights are held by TFC-A and the other who hasn't signed with anyone. The TFC-A kid can only go to TFC unless they choose to send him somewhere else. The kid who is effectively a "free agent" has the option of Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal... assuming they want him. He could also go without hassle to the NCAA. I'm hearing TFC-A kids can go too but it may be a little more complicated given the "commitment."

I think of a kid like Aleman whose rights are now with Vancouver. If he ever wants to come back he is at their mercy so to speak. If they have no plans for him on the first team, he's stuck until he can finagle a release/trade.

The free aspect to TFC-A is certainly eye catching. But if they can't offer development better than SAAC (and the upcoming OPDL) I'm not sure that it is an advantage.