PDA

View Full Version : The return of the..well..you choose.

maxpower
05-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Jurgen Klinsmann returns to Toronto on Sunday.

So with two years too reflect, will you jeer him incessantly? or will you cheer him on for putting in place the roots of a future dynasty(I can barely say that with a straight face)?

on a more positive note, Maurice Edu is also making his return.

justin
05-31-2012, 12:07 AM
he accepted a paycheque from a naive organization and provided something that looked great on paper. no fault to him IMO that things haven't quite worked out.

tfcleeds
05-31-2012, 05:47 AM
We don't even know for a fact that Winter was his preferred candidate for the position. He provided a shortlist - MLSE went with their own choice. Hard to fault the guy for that.

Fort York Redcoat
05-31-2012, 06:14 AM
Meh. Klinsmann provided us with a plan. He didn't guarantee it or attempt to actualize it himself.

Thanks Edu for the goals and the grass. Sunday you are the enemy!

Oldtimer
05-31-2012, 06:32 AM
We don't even know for a fact that Winter was his preferred candidate for the position. He provided a shortlist - MLSE went with their own choice. Hard to fault the guy for that.

Exactly. I don't blame Klinnsman for 1-9.

We actually don't know how much of the disfunctional F.O. was recommended by him, and how much was Anselmi setting up a "divide and conquer" situation where he couldn't lose in the ML$E politics.

He recommended that the team play a consistent style. No problem with that. He also arranged to have Frings join the squad, something that has played a huge part in whatever success TFC has had. He gave a list of candidates, some of them probably didn't want the job, others may have been passed over in a marketing desire to have "total football." Any fault is with Anselmi (for making the various choices), Cochrane (for possibly blocking trades that would have strengthened the team in favour of the CSA cabal), and Mariner (who has been implicated in blocking trades). We don't know how well Winter would have done if he had had 100% his preferred squad. We do know that Winter failed to make the best of the squad that he's had.

Perhaps the team will ask him to straighten out the mess... that could only be a good thing. I would trust Klinnsman much more than any decisions made by Anselmi.

OgtheDim
05-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Jurgen Klinsmann returns to Toronto on Sunday.

So with two years too reflect, will you jeer him incessantly? or will you cheer him on for putting in place the roots of a future dynasty(I can barely say that with a straight face)?

on a more positive note, Maurice Edu is getting paid.

Changed that for you.

JuliquE
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Have we forgotten our friend, Hercules Gomez?

Abou Sky
05-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Have we forgotten our friend, Hercules Gomez?

Hercules Gomez was totally misquoted (he didn't actually say the 'watch your back' or whatever, paper printed a retraction)

Listen to his interview on 'it's called football' the guy is a class act and I would welcome him to Toronto any day.

That said, I want to stomp him on Sunday, but he is a great guy.

[NBF]
05-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Exactly. I don't blame Klinnsman for 1-9.

We actually don't know how much of the disfunctional F.O. was recommended by him, and how much was Anselmi setting up a "divide and conquer" situation where he couldn't lose in the ML$E politics.

He recommended that the team play a consistent style. No problem with that. He also arranged to have Frings join the squad, something that has played a huge part in whatever success TFC has had. He gave a list of candidates, some of them probably didn't want the job, others may have been passed over in a marketing desire to have "total football." Any fault is with Anselmi (for making the various choices), Cochrane (for possibly blocking trades that would have strengthened the team in favour of the CSA cabal), and Mariner (who has been implicated in blocking trades). We don't know how well Winter would have done if he had had 100% his preferred squad. We do know that Winter failed to make the best of the squad that he's had.

Perhaps the team will ask him to straighten out the mess... that could only be a good thing. I would trust Klinnsman much more than any decisions made by Anselmi.

Anyone in particular?

ag futbol
06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Organizations ultimately get the consulting advise that they are willing to hear. You could take the greatest consultant in the world, they'll ultimately cover shit in sprinkles if that's what an ego driven dysfunctional manager wants to hear.

Personally, looking back to the hiring process and the way that turned out, I really dobut Aron Winter was our first choice. Something went wrong there along the way. I don't know whether it was that they had to be dissuaded from hiring cochrane and Dasovic mid-stream or what. But there is no way in hell they did that search start to finish and some dutch guy with no head coaching experience and broken english becomes the first choice.

Roogsy
06-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Organizations ultimately get the consulting advise that they are willing to hear. You could take the greatest consultant in the world, they'll ultimately cover shit in sprinkles if that's what an ego driven dysfunctional manager wants to hear.

Personally, looking back to the hiring process and the way that turned out, I really dobut Aron Winter was our first choice. Something went wrong there along the way. I don't know whether it was that they had to be dissuaded from hiring cochrane and Dasovic mid-stream or what. But there is no way in hell they did that search start to finish and some dutch guy with no head coaching experience and broken english becomes the first choice.

Agreed on all points. Especially about blowing smoke up the ass of the hiring manager. "Hey, you're doing a good job! Can I have my cheque now please?"

Classic consultant operation. No risk, big reward.

Phil
06-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Agreed on all points. Especially about blowing smoke up the ass of the hiring manager. "Hey, you're doing a good job! Can I have my cheque now please?"

Classic consultant operation. No risk, big reward.

Its been something I have been critical of for some time now. Given the results of the season, I really would like some accountability from the consultant end but I know that won't happen.

Thats why we need structure change, install a president role that has an overseeing accountable presence to escatlate and look to handle resolution. Its still too messy with all these overlapping responsibilities and no real head IMO.

I am not rating Anselmi for anything beyond PR and ass kissing to media.

Cashcleaner
06-04-2012, 01:58 AM

More people need to realize this. And also the fact that we will likely never know who else was on that list.

All said (and I think this is important to note), going through a consultant like TFC did isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, in the case of our club it shows an acknowledgement from the brass they still have much to learn. Going to Klinsmann was a good idea, but obviously in the end it just didn't work out as we hoped.

maxpower
06-04-2012, 07:35 AM
On topic of the game, Canada played very well and probably should have won.

I sat on the east stand today for the first time, and I'm not sure how it is for TFC games but the people around me made for a really unpleasant time.

In the first half I had to endure probably the worst banter at a football game I have every heard. It was three guys a few rows back, who seemed to only be there to belch at donavon. Some of the things said were so incredibly unintelligent and ignorant... Thank god they switched ends at half.