PDA

View Full Version : Are playoffs possible?

mastermixer
05-25-2012, 01:12 PM
I know the easy answer is no, but just wanted to get an idea of what kind of miracle TFC needs to get into the playoffs at this point.

Auzzy
05-25-2012, 01:16 PM
OK who's going to be the first to post THAT video? (You know which one I mean.)

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2012, 01:16 PM
http://www.sportsbarbanter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/playoffs.jpg

No video necessary.

eustacchio
05-25-2012, 01:20 PM

That's exactly why I came into this thread.

Oldtimer
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Possible? Yes. Even winning the lottery is possible. Likely? No.

I'm not going to post any video. :D

Ben - D.O.W.
05-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Well we have 25 games left in the season with a potential for 75 points. So of course they're still possible. To say they are unlikely is a pretty big understatement. We'd need to go something like 12-8-5 (44 pts - I don't know if that should be higher or lower, I think it's a fair average) to have a chance and somehow I don't see us getting 12 wins.

Lucky Strike
05-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Mathematically yes, but realistically, no. The team isn't good enough to dig itself out of the massive 0-9 hole whether or not they use the Voyageurs' Cup as a shovel.

mastermixer
05-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Well we have 25 games left in the season with a potential for 75 points. So of course they're still possible. To say they are unlikely is a pretty big understatement. We'd need to go something like 12-8-5 (44 pts - I don't know if that should be higher or lower, I think it's a fair average) to have a chance and somehow I don't see us getting 12 wins.

So, if they win 12 of those games that's 36 points. Then if they can tie a few of the other 13 games... AH SCREW IT THE ANSWER IS NO :facepalm: g:D.

razor787
05-25-2012, 01:55 PM
If we sign Boa Morte, and he turns out to still be good, and then we sign two center backs that turn out to be good, and then we get rid of DeGuzman and sign a good replacement, we MAY have a slight chance at making the playoffs.

Ageroo
05-25-2012, 01:55 PM

I'll bite.....:) But abbreviated ;)

p3-eavMSBnk

prizby
05-26-2012, 12:17 AM
15 points out...2 games in hand; you decide

ensco
05-26-2012, 12:20 AM
25-0-0 and we win the east for sure

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html

Shakes McQueen
05-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Realistically we need around 13 wins going forward, and another 6-7 draws, to have a fighting chance at the post-season. Is it doable? Sure. Is it doable with this team? Well, I suppose it depends on what your theories are about the team's problems to date.

Do I personally think we WILL do it? No. And frankly, I'm going to wait for that elusive first POINT of the season before I start running the math on our post-season prospects. These guys need to demonstrate that they are done digging their hole, first.

There is precedent for such big turnarounds in sport (Bruce Boudreau turning the Washington Capitals from a basement dweller into a playoff team within the same season, for example), but those turns always seem to be predicated by something - be it a profound lineup change, or a coaching change. I don't think we will be a zero win team all season, but no substantial change in our fortunes will come without some sort of change with the team. And even then, it's only a small chance.

- Scott

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-26-2012, 01:22 AM
If the team can go on a 5-0 run, then maybe start tilting your head side-to-side, and thinking it could happen. I know it's unrealistic, but I get the feeling they could go on a strong run. A win tomorrow, a few signings, who knows?

Mulder
05-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Just a tidbit of info I gathered.

Only 5 teams in the past 5 seasons has made the playoffs with 12 or more losses (one with 13 rest with 12). Guess that's our realistic measuring stick.

Abou Sky
05-26-2012, 06:34 AM
0-9 does not mean you quit trying!

CAN we make the playoffs? Yes!

Will we make the playoffs? That is up to the team and management.

nascarguy
05-26-2012, 07:04 AM
it's the only way winter will save his job.

james
05-26-2012, 07:41 AM
IFFF they actually did some how make the playoffs after being 0-9-0 they would set another new record of the best come back in MLS record!

narduch
05-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Things can change on a week to week basis, but the current pace of the 5th place team in the East is around 46/47 points. That would be a lot of points to gain with 25 games remaining.

ryan
05-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Just a tidbit of info I gathered.

Only 5 teams in the past 5 seasons has made the playoffs with 12 or more losses (one with 13 rest with 12). Guess that's our realistic measuring stick.

Playoff field wasn't always as big though.

ensco
05-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Beat Union 1-0, playoff odds up 0.1 to 0.4%

Roogsy
05-26-2012, 05:44 PM
:smilielol5:

Corpand
05-26-2012, 05:50 PM
After watching Arsenal this season, I believe anything is possible. Now if only the Koev morphed into a pseudo-RVP....

Yohan
05-26-2012, 05:53 PM
After watching Arsenal this season, I believe anything is possible. Now if only the Koev morphed into a pseudo-RVP....
well, Koevermans now has 3 goals in league play, so he might just heat up

trane
05-26-2012, 07:10 PM
If we can win a few games in a row, like 5, maybe. Is it likely that we win 5 games in a row????? Probably not.

I think we have the players to win five games in a row in this league. But clearly at 1-9-0 or at 1-0-9 our track record speaks volumes.

jabbronies
05-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Mathematically yes, but realistically, no. The team isn't good enough to dig itself out of the massive 0-9 hole whether or not they use the Voyageurs' Cup as a shovel.

I really hope this team proves you wrong on this, but this is the reality of the current situation.

I know the easy answer is no, but just wanted to get an idea of what kind of miracle TFC needs to get into the playoffs at this point.

I think we would need to finish with something close to 50pts to make it in. We are now at 3...so 47 to go.

That means with the remaining games left, we have to have a record resembling something like 15 - 7 - 2

djcuse
05-27-2012, 02:20 PM
According to this website we have a 0.3% chance of making the playoffs... "So You're Telling Me There's A Chance"
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS.html

narduch
05-27-2012, 02:27 PM
TFC's next two MLS games are on the road, against KC and Houston. If by some miracle TFC got 2 straight road wins I think we can start talking about the team having a chance.

I just don't see TFC's winning streak lasting very long.

Plus the top teams in the East appear to be hitting their stride and keep on collecting points.

MG42
05-27-2012, 02:31 PM
10 game winning streak coming up

http://students.cis.uab.edu/jowens21/Schaeffer Picture.jpg

woo woo

T-boy
05-28-2012, 11:23 AM
I just worry that when we lose another game, that we will end up losing 9 in a row again. Aron Winter has to convince me that when the chips are down, that it doesn't take him 2 months for him to get it back together again. For this season, I think its already lost, unfortunately. TFC also have to go and beat some difficult teams on the road in order to reach the playoffs - which I think is going to be highly unlikely.

The best we can hope for this season is a reasonable home record for the rest of the year to at least reward the fans for their patience.

Carts
05-28-2012, 11:49 AM
In my opinion, anything is possible in this league / this setup...

So, I'll keep the faith and keep the hope moving forward...

I know hockey and footy are worlds different, but just look at the LA Kings - sneak into the playoffs in the final position / go on a massive roll and end up in the Cup Final having lost only twice...

All we need to do is get in! Forget this nonsence Brian Burke stated about the Leafs saying he doesn't want the Leafs to 'just make it' - all you need to do is 'just make it' to have a chance...

Plus, its more fun having hope! LOL...

Oldtimer
05-28-2012, 12:17 PM
They certainly don't look good enough yet.

That being said, if BDK can add a piece or two, it could change things dramatically, just like LA dramatically declined losing one key defender. The difference between top and bottom isn't that much in this league. Of course, that depends a lot on Winter not doing something to ruin things.

ryan
05-28-2012, 12:24 PM
15pts down, 2 games advantage.

We're 9pts out if we can turn that 2 game advantage into W's. 9pts, 22 matches.....we've seen bigger obstacles in sport accomplished many times before, many recent as well.

ryan
05-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Another thing to consider, with parity in mind...

No longer are we worst in GA, that goes to Dallas. Montreal/LA are equal with us. Only a couple worse than East leading DC and NYRB...

Just start bagging goals boys...

Abou Sky
05-28-2012, 12:58 PM
I normally don't bet on sports but...

I took a bit of an 'odd' bet on Friday with a buddy of mine who is pretty much ALWAYS right!

His ability to analyze and predict sports outcomes are insane, I also think he is the luckiest guy I have ever known (wins a $1000+ lottery jackpot every couple of months, just got $30k, really it is silly)

He said he would be $100 on TFC making the playoffs, I was hesitant because 1. I don't bet on sports 2. How could I bring myself to bet against TFC!?!

I took the other side of the bet, I have never wanted to lose $100 more in my life!

Here's to my buddy Tim, let's hope his lucky streak continues and I have to pay our $100!

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2012, 01:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk

Oldtimer
05-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Here's to my buddy Tim, let's hope his lucky streak continues and I have to pay our $100!

It would probably be the happiest $100 you ever blew. How could 7 BMO beers compare with getting into the playoffs? Let's hope his calculations are correct.

Auzzy
05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
It would probably be the happiest $100 you ever blew. How could 7 BMO beers compare with getting into the playoffs? Let's hope his calculations are correct.

Correction: if we make the playoffs, $100 will probably only be worth 4 beers thereafter... :D