PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy Theory: TFC cares far more about CCL than MLS

Damien
05-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Is it really that far fetched? Or blatantly obvious?

MartinUtd
05-23-2012, 10:41 PM
We're a cup team with a 34 game practice schedule.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Seeing as how on the whole the CCL group games have been poorly attended, I'd say it's beyond far fetched.

Auzzy
05-23-2012, 11:43 PM
TFC hasn't lost a game contending for the Voyageurs Cup since June 2, 2009. That's a stretch of 13 games: 8 wins & 5 draws.

I shit you not.

Roogsy
05-23-2012, 11:49 PM
TFC hasn't lost a game contending for the Voyageurs Cup since June 2, 2009. That's a stretch of 13 games: 8 wins & 5 draws.

I shit you not.

LOL...that's a pretty incredible stat.

I've got a new solution. Make Winter the coach only for CCL games. Hire someone else for the league.

Auzzy
05-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Time for the Canadian MLS. 10 games a piece vs. Vancouver, Montreal, and Edmonton and that's your season folks. That should work for TFC. Hell, we're playing Montreal 5 times this year, another 5 games won't make a big difference.

EDIT before someone loses their shit about that: ;)

Alonso
05-23-2012, 11:57 PM

Haha! This.

Auzzy
05-23-2012, 11:59 PM

I've got a new solution. Make Winter the coach only for CCL games. Hire someone else for the league.

Oooh gotta buy a membership quick so I can rep this, nice one.

EDIT But do we have Cummins, Preki, and Daso to thank for part of that VC record? We'll just hire them as well, as assistant coaches for Winter for the CCL games. Should work out perfectly I'm sure. Might need to hire a consultant to suggest that though.

Dkolish3
05-24-2012, 12:09 AM

How about we just convince the players that the League is actually one big group stage before the knockout rounds

Oldtimer
05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
JDG certainly plays a lot better in the cup games. Maybe he cares a lot more about the potential for playing against Barcelona for the Club World cup than playing for the MLS Cup?

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Our overall record in the NCC/ACC and the CCL since the tournaments started is astonishingly good, depsite the constant player turnover, managerial changes, and off field turmoil. Go figure?

Fort York Redcoat
05-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Is that so different from any other NA league if you sub tournament for playoffs? Both are really tournaments. It's just easier to excited for the names in this one vs the ones we play every week.

ensco
05-24-2012, 08:02 AM
If Philly or Dallas or whomever got to play in a tournament against Vancouver and Montreal every year, they'd probably win it every year, too.

We tie Montreal and Vancouver away in CCL games, but lose to them away in league games. Not sure it means anything.

james
05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
well at this point TFC being 0-9-0 Id say the only way MLSE can save there ass is by actually playing very well in Champions League....then coming up with some stupid speech at the end of the season saying Champions League has been are first and foremost most number 1 goal of the season! g:D:facepalm:

Beach_Red
05-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Is that so different from any other NA league if you sub tournament for playoffs? Both are really tournaments. It's just easier to excited for the names in this one vs the ones we play every week.

Well, in other NA sports you have to win at least a few games to get into the tournament.... ;)

Fort York Redcoat
05-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Well, in other NA sports you have to win at least a few games to get into the tournament.... ;)

hahaha Love ya, man. Seriously, I should just sub NA for BR. Every time I go and use it I know I can count on you to get one in.:boxing:g:D

Beach_Red
05-24-2012, 09:55 AM
hahaha Love ya, man. Seriously, I should just sub NA for BR. Every time I go and use it I know I can count on you to get one in.:boxing:g:D

Just doing my part ;).

Carts
05-24-2012, 10:00 AM
HIRE THIS MAN...
Hypnotize the lads into thinking MLS Matches are actually Cup Matches...

http://www.powerofconversationalhypnosisreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Learn-Hypnosis.jpg

We'd finish the season unbeaten from here on out... :-)

Carts...

prizby
05-24-2012, 10:53 AM
its not a conspiracy theory...I care more about CCL then MLS

Wouldn't it be great if we could do something (win CCL) and qualify for CWC, which no other MLS side has ever done

Why make the playoffs...pretty much every other MLS side has done that...thats just ordinary

Roogsy
05-24-2012, 11:11 AM
"Playoffs are ordinary"... :lol:

prizby
05-24-2012, 11:25 AM
yes an ordinary achievement...to most mls sides...been done before-by most mls sides...i think we should win something that NO MLS side has won

Fort York Redcoat
05-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm not sold on that priz and I agree with you that CCL is something I care about more. Making the playoffs is instrumental in proving that you're almost middling to superior in this league. Past that bench mark I have no use for the post season reward of playing the same (or our ordinary) teams to pretend that winning a tournament means you were the best in the league.

Beach_Red
05-24-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm not sold on that priz and I agree with you that CCL is something I care about more. Making the playoffs is instrumental in proving that you're almost middling to superior in this league. Past that bench mark I have no use for the post season reward of playing the same (or our ordinary) teams to pretend that winning a tournament means you were the best in the league.

Actually I agree. In most years I want to see TFC win the Supporter's Shield, but because of the awful start this year making a run to the playoffs would be special. It seems like a longshot, but it's not impossible...

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Actually I agree. In most years I want to see TFC win the Supporter's Shield, but because of the awful start this year making a run to the playoffs would be special. It seems like a longshot, but it's not impossible...

At this point, I would settle for a respectable record for the balance of the regular season (even if TFC still misses the playoffs), and TFC advancing beyond the CCL group stage.

Dkolish3
05-25-2012, 12:09 AM
yes an ordinary achievement...to most mls sides...been done before-by most mls sides...i think we should win something that NO MLS side has won

Technically no other team has won the Voyageurs Cup as an MLS club. :)

J.Neverfold
05-25-2012, 07:43 AM
I was thinking about this the other day and I'm not sure if the point has been brought up...technically you could be Canadian champs without winning a single game...ie: 1-1 road tie and 0-0 home tie.. 4 ties could win it.. While the other semi finalist could have 2 win and 2 ties and lose.. i guess sometimes 4>8..

ensco
05-25-2012, 08:08 AM
At this point, I would settle for a respectable record for the balance of the regular season (even if TFC still misses the playoffs), and TFC advancing beyond the CCL group stage.

Until the ownership change, I'll settle for nice weather at home games.

Canary10
05-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Until the ownership change, I'll settle for nice weather at home games.

Ha! Well things seem to be looking up for you then...

ManUtd4ever
05-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I know the perfect guy to get to the bottom of this...

http://www.pakalertpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Jesse-Ventura-TruTV.jpg

denime
05-25-2012, 09:40 AM
well at this point TFC being 0-9-0 Id say the only way MLSE can save there ass is by actually playing very well in Champions League....then coming up with some stupid speech at the end of the season saying Champions League has been are first and foremost most number 1 goal of the season! g:D:facepalm:

I thought we are 0-0-9:noidea:

Roogsy need help here,are 0-9-0 or 0-0-9? :rolleyes:

Auzzy
05-25-2012, 10:27 AM
I thought we are 0-0-9:noidea:

Roogsy need help here,are 0-9-0 or 0-0-9? :rolleyes:

In MLS, it's normally 0-9-0; in the rest of the footy world, it's normally 0-0-9. I've petitioned TFC to avoid getting any wins or draws, so as not to confuse us.

ManUtd4ever
05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
In MLS, it's normally 0-9-0; in the rest of the footy world, it's normally 0-0-9. I've petitioned TFC to avoid getting any wins or draws, so as not to confuse us.

Your petition has worked to perfection thus far.

Dave67
05-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Conspiracy Theory: TFC cares far more about CCL than MLS (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31861-Conspiracy-Theory-TFC-cares-far-more-about-CCL-than-MLS/page2)

The players motivate themselves for this tourney. For the rest of the season they look to the coach for motivation. So I'd say yes, TFC the players care more about CCL than MLS.