PDA

View Full Version : Postgame TFC 1 Vancouver 0 (2-1 on aggregate)

Oldtimer
05-23-2012, 09:04 PM
0-9 in MLS, best cup team in Canada.

Richard
05-23-2012, 09:05 PM
This is my Level of happy.
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/109989_o.gif

OgtheDim
05-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Rennie sounds as whiney as Alex Ferguson.

AND now he's saying its a Toronto homer of a ref.

Geez.....MLS would tan his hide for that stuff.

Gazza
05-23-2012, 09:07 PM
The wee scottsman seems to have a bee in his bonnet. He feels hard done by.

Lucky Strike
So what's going to be Vancouver's excuse this time? What are they going to complain about?

Edit: Interview with Martin Rennie blaming the referees and how Petrescu is Toronto-based (for a cup final involving Toronto) or something like that.

leafsman
whats this idiot coach bitching for? how about the 2 blatant holds by the caps in the box

KGH
Now that was an ugly win.

But I'll take it

jloome
We played really well. Quick, someone fire the coach!

(I kid. I was between that and "Julian Deguzman: evil genius?" for his red card, which then guaranteed a yellow and a settle-up red against le toux, and we play a style that favors 10 on 10. But that seemed complex.)

loconet
05-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Refreshing, very happy for the players and supporters. Finally something to celebrate. Let's bring this intensity this weekend please ... 0-9 and best team in Canada does look ridiculous... :(

KGH
05-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Question...does that red card have an real consequence now?

Sweeper
What happened with DeGuzman, missed that? Was there a red card to each team given?

Corcai
Silver Lining for the Supporters. They deserve to watch some meaningful games over the next 9-10 months. They deserve it big time.

PopePouri

Towrads!

dantdot
05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Congrats to VC for losing to The worst team in the world™

Dkolish3

Geez.....MLS would tan his hide for that stuff.

The ref was admittedly the most egregiously incompetent ref to grace the holy grass of BMO Field

Couchy81
Well done boys!

I had a feeling Lambe would be key in the match, he has had my support since he cleared 2 goal-line shots that would have been goals against in back to back games. His scoring touch doesn't hurt either.

Oldtimer
I was wrong, Toronto won.

I am so happy I was wrong :)

You could see that Toronto wanted it more.

tfcleeds
05-23-2012, 09:13 PM
So what's going to be Vancouver's excuse this time? What are they going to complain about?

Edit: Interview with Martin Rennie blaming the referees and how Petrescu is Toronto-based (for a cup final involving Toronto) or something like that.

Always gotta blame something, but they've got nothing to fall back on tonight. They just didn't show up. Can't believe how uninspired they looked for a team that hasn't won it before.

Shakes McQueen
05-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Nice to continue the Cup streak, and nice to see some genuine relief and happiness from the players when that final whistle blew. You can tell they've been waiting for one of those moments for a while.

The game itself was atrocious. The play was disjointed, chippy, and boring. The officiating was possibly the worst I've seen yet. Julian de Guzman should never kit up for this team again, after his stupid, selfish decision to put the team down a man, until Le Toux came to the rescue.

It seemed pretty clear from this game that our team is going to wake up tomorrow with all of the same problems they had yesterday, but for tonight, I will enjoy this - and more so shoving it up Vancouver's ass.

- Scott

Dkolish3
05-23-2012, 09:14 PM
I was wrong, Toronto won.

I am so happy I was wrong :)

You could see that Toronto wanted it more.

How are you going to celebrate your 10,000th

PopePouri
Fuck the whiny aging Canadian-playerless team.

KGH
Funny...I don't see Aceval anywhere in that group...

Gazza
05-23-2012, 09:16 PM
And from here, we conquer the world.

pawlukj
im sorry i cant help but LOL at this cup tournament.. it only takes a team to beat two teams and they are champions.. either way congrats

Shakes McQueen
I'm drinking a cup of Martin Rennie's tears.

- Scott

Couchy81
05-23-2012, 09:19 PM
im sorry i cant help but LOL at this cup tournament.. it only takes a team to beat two teams and they are champions.. either way congrats

it sure ain't no original six that's four sure.

ManUtd4ever
05-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Why am I not surprised?

Just when you're ready to give up all hope, this team comes up with dominant performances in the clutch time and time again in the ACC and CCL.

It makes their regular season woes all the more infuriating.

In any case, I'm happy that at the very least, we'll have a few meaningful games to watch this summer. Hopefully, TFC can find it's form in league play between now and the CCL group stage to prove that they are worthy representatives for our country.

Dkolish3
05-23-2012, 09:23 PM

All things start small my young padawan

DaBandit
05-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Thought the game was very scrappy, but tfc did enough to get the result which was nice. Thought ecks was excellent once he came on, very solid defensively and was a threat going forward. frings was solid again tonight, such a steading influence all game long. Very disappointed in deguzman again, this guys is a selfish premadonna, he couldn't be gone soon enough for my liking..

leafsman
05-23-2012, 09:25 PM
do we need to play a qualifier still to reach group stage?

DichioTFC
05-23-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm just going to leave this here...

I'm feeling optimistic, if for no other reason that the law of percentages dictates that we have to win eventually :)

Fucking called it. I had a feeling we would win the NCC, our team does well when they're confident and focused. And also, the team is 2-0 when I stop by the RPB in-game chat. Just sayin. :)

Corpand
05-23-2012, 09:27 PM
With abit of extra space (Thanks Le Toux you foot-stomping douche) this team can pass around any MLS team. Loving the win, Eks was the perfect sub. Gotta give Winter credit for that.

sully
05-23-2012, 09:29 PM
great effort and result...however, there's still a lot of nagging buts....it's the league that really matters. Is this the start of a resurgence? We'll see on saturday.

tfcleeds
05-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Enjoying the meltdown on the Southsiders board right now...some dude even wants Teitur Tots back, haha.

DichioTFC

From Wiki:

CONCACAF announced that the 2012–13 tournament will be played under a different format than previous editions.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_CONCACAF_Champions_League#cite_not e-format-4) The Preliminary Round will be eliminated, and all 24 teams are instead placed into eight groups of three teams each for the Group Stage of the tournament. For the Group Stage draw, the teams are seeded into three pots, based on their national association and qualifying berth

Toronto is in Pot B, so we'll get a good team and a beatable team in our group. The only question is who. Group stage begins July 31.

Btw, seeding info here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_CONCACAF_Champions_League#Format

DaBandit

I believe they got rid of that this year and they go straight to the group stage now. But I'm not 100% sure..

Edit.. Thx dichiotfc

KGH
05-23-2012, 09:31 PM

I was wrong.

Juanito
05-23-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm drinking a cup of Martin Rennie's tears.

- Scott

HA HA HA! Quote of the evening to you sir!

DaBandit
05-23-2012, 09:33 PM
great effort and result...however, there's still a lot of nagging buts....it's the league that really matters. Is this the start of a resurgence? We'll see on saturday.

Im calling a 3-1 tfc victory on Saturday, DK 2 and frings 1... As someone else mentioned, law of percentages, they are due..

A Stick
05-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Great victory for the boys and I hope this will parlay to more positive play and points starting this Saturday. I am now totally convinced that the 4-3-3 system is our down fall. After JDG got the boot, the team played a 4-4-1 formation and the amount of ball posession that they had was night and day to the first half. They looked so much more comfortable and confident playing this way. The only negative point is Caan. His distribution is shocking and decision making is suspect at best. He is definitely weak link in our defence.

tfcleeds
05-23-2012, 09:37 PM
The defensive corps deserves props tonight - maybe the Koevermans lashing was what they needed.

billyfly
05-23-2012, 09:38 PM
O-9 but we beat you, ya cuntz.

F U Van City.

DichioTFC
05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Nope. Our group is now decided. Its:

1) TFC
2) Isidro Metapan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.D._Isidro_Metapán (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.D._Isidro_Metap%C3%A1n)
3) Marathon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.D._Marathón (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.D._Marath%C3%B3n)
4) Alajuelense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.D._Alajuelense

... I don't think that's right. All those teams are in Pot B. Wiki says there will be 8 groups of 3 teams for the Group Stage.

OgtheDim
05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
My understanding is we can not be in the same group as a US based team nor can two teams from the same country be in the same group. Therefore we have to play either Santos or UAL and and Real Esteli or Municipal.

Be nice if it was UAL just to give it a change.

Detroit_TFC
05-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Vancouver looked much as they looked in the first leg. Their heads just weren't in the tournament. Puzzling.

Juanito
05-23-2012, 09:43 PM
O-9 but we beat you, ya cuntz.

F U Van City.

This.

KGH
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
... I don't think that's right. All those teams are in Pot B. Wiki says there will be 8 groups of 3 teams for the Group Stage.

Wait. You're right.

On January 12, 2012, CONCACAF announced that the 2012–13 tournament will be played under a different format than previous editions.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_CONCACAF_Champions_League#cite_note-format-4) The Preliminary Round will be eliminated, and all 24 teams are instead placed into eight groups of three teams each for the Group Stage of the tournament. For the Group Stage draw, the teams are seeded into three pots, based on their national association and qualifying berth. Teams from the same association (excluding "wildcard" teams which replace a team from another association) cannot be drawn with each other in the Group Stage, and each group is guaranteed to contain a team from either the United States or Mexico, meaning U.S. and Mexican teams will not play each other in the first round.
In the Group Stage, teams in each group play in a round-robin home-and-away format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_tournament). The winners of each group advance to the Championship Round, which will retain the same format as before.
In the Championship Round, the eight teams play in a knockout tournament (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-elimination_tournament), with each tie played in two-legged home-and-away format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-legged_tie). The away goals rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_goals_rule) are used, but not after a tie entered extra time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra_time_(association_football)), and so a tie is decided by penalty shootout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_shootout_(association_football)) if the aggregate score is level after extra time.

MartinUtd
05-23-2012, 09:46 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

CAN YOU HEAR THE SHITE CAPS CRY?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

QSIM
05-23-2012, 09:50 PM
How are the pots determined? I mean we finished in the top 4 last year, surely that's Pot A worthy.

Edit: Just saw the qualification method on wiki. I guess in fairness we should almost be Pot C, winning the ACC ain't much.

greatwhitenorf
05-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Marvelous to watch Frings get himself into a good space on transition and be available with options when the ball arrived. Played with gusto both sides of midfield.Guys were moving well off the ball. Eckersley was dominant when he came in. Like how Johnson and the boy Morgan worked to get the ball forward on the wing. Bit scrambley in D, but Cann looked calm and stable, made some good headed clearances. Kocic came for the ball nicely on enough occasions that, late on, both teams were ready to defer to him and it paid off in Vancouver not attacking some high balls like they should have.

Hassli was so off his game because of the nippy, snippy marking he was receiving. Proper bitch out there, he was. Good.

Expecting a well-executed tank job on Saturday and Winter to get fired.

Oldtimer
05-23-2012, 10:22 PM
How are you going to celebrate your 10,000th

My 10,000th post is in honour of TFC winning the Voyageurs Cup.

denime
05-23-2012, 10:29 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/eq8ryt.jpg

Initial B
05-23-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm so happy for the guys, but I'll be happier if they can defeat Philly this weekend.

burlington Red
05-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Eckersley was absolutely brilliant tonight when he came on, turned the game for us. Unfortunate that breakaway he led where we scored a goal from was disallowed.
Good heart tonight, Kosic looked good I felt also.
Lambe great finish, he is starting to get a decent record going.

maxpower
05-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Doneil was a beast yet again today. I am really enjoying watching him grow into the first half-decent centre back to wear the shirt.

Did anyone see what happened with the red cards? I completely missed it. Also, when do we start getting fined for this kinda stuff? These large fights seem to be an all to regular occurrence.

Also, lambe must be in our top ten scoring charts now right? That would only be slightly embarrassing....

ensco
05-23-2012, 10:40 PM
I hope we get Santos again. I enjoyed those games.

nascarguy
05-23-2012, 10:40 PM
ok so when are the scarf on sale

Roogsy
05-23-2012, 10:53 PM
League form aside, TFC have been the better team throughout the tourney. 2 wins out of 4 games is a statement. And they were the better team tonight. The title is well-deserved.

VWFC were thoroughly unimpressive. How they have a better league record than us is a mystery to me.

ensco
05-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I wonder if TFC will be a bizarre oddity in the next issue Four Four Two or World Soccer.

The team with zero points out of 27 that won their country championship.

Wingback6
05-23-2012, 11:01 PM
So I watched a replay of the 'fruckass' Pretty confident Le Toux was going to get sent of already due to second yellow or straight red for stamping on Johnson. Regarding De Guzer, if you watch closely, you can actually see Davidson come over and step on his toe. I can't blame De Guz too much for reacting. Morgan's run was fantastic. He seems to be getting bolder and better on the ball every week. Bright future in Red for him (For Toronto and especially Canada!!)

Alonso
05-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Silver Lining for the Supporters. They deserve to watch some meaningful games over the next 9-10 months. They deserve it big time.

Agreed. And the players coming to celebrate with the fans was awesome.

bigredone
05-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Thank you sooo much Henry. When you passed my seat with your hand up it made all the shit this year worth while. THANK YOU HENRY!!!! Seeing Frings hoist that shit up in the air. OOOOOOH YYEAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huyton
05-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Astonishing. In CCL/ACC play so far this year: 3 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss. In each of the three pairs of games against MLS opposition, they drew the first game and won the second.

scooter
05-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Nice to continue the Cup streak, and nice to see some genuine relief and happiness from the players when that final whistle blew. You can tell they've been waiting for one of those moments for a while.

The game itself was atrocious. The play was disjointed, chippy, and boring. The officiating was possibly the worst I've seen yet. Julian de Guzman should never kit up for this team again, after his stupid, selfish decision to put the team down a man, until Le Toux came to the rescue.- Scott

It seemed pretty clear from this game that our team is going to wake up tomorrow with all of the same problems they had yesterday, but for tonight, I will enjoy this - and more so shoving it up Vancouver's ass.

yes enjoy the night

and that was very poor refereeing i thought we were playing panama the way the caps were falling down

but we won ffs and thats all that matters for now

Auzzy
05-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Ah ha ha Martin Rennie complaining that the ref Silviu Petrescu is from Toronto. (I mean the guy would have been justified in giving Toronto one or two PKs if he wanted to help.)

Dear sir, Petrescu is from Kitchener. But I would like to invite you to a Kitchener Rangers game some day, and you can call all the locals a bunch of Torontonians.

Alonso
05-23-2012, 11:36 PM

SSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Don't give away the secret to our 4th consecutive championship!

__wowza
05-23-2012, 11:37 PM
MATTY'S ON THE CAPO, MATTY'S ON THE CAPO! LA LA LA LA!!

1. Im drunk.
2. hell of a game.
3. ive gotta be up in almost 3 hours.

Jcm144
05-23-2012, 11:39 PM
It was a beautiful night of futbol, to see TFC win their 4th consectuive Canadian Championship. If this game was lost, things could have even spiraled more outta of control even. Hopefully this win gives TFC the confidence they need to improve their league play. New season, starts Saturday. Lets go!

bigredone
05-23-2012, 11:45 PM
It was a beautiful night of futbol, to see TFC win their 4th consectuive Canadian Championship. If this game was lost, things could have even spiraled more outta of control even. Hopefully this win gives TFC the confidence they need to improve their league play. New season, starts Saturday. Lets go!

Great outlook and I feel your last sentence is true. If we can play though this last week, than anything is possible.

Auzzy
05-23-2012, 11:50 PM
LOL at Joe Cannon roaming around the field for an extended period near the end.

__wowza
05-23-2012, 11:57 PM
LOL at Joe Cannon roaming around the field for an extended period near the end.

i swear to god, it was like i was having fifa 12 online flashbacks. i just remember watching it going, "holy fuck, why don't they boot this guy already!?"

Dkolish3
05-24-2012, 12:06 AM
TFC hasn't lost a game contending for the Voyageurs Cup since June 2, 2009. That's a stretch of 13 games: 8 wins & 5 draws.

I shit you not.

From another thread

Let it sink in.

And all you can think is "Really????? :)"

glaze
05-24-2012, 12:08 AM
feels good to be in the stands for a win. Its been awhile. 2 questions from that game. 1) why was the first goal disallowed? It didnt look offside, what happened? 2) are we supposed to give the team a free pass now if they go 0-10 in league play on Saturday?
While the win was nice, and MLSE will be happy with 3 more games to push on ticket buyers (which I will buy), how much are we supposed to let this distract us from the fact our MLS record is garbage? Does winter get a free pass now?
To be honest, its a lose-lose situation. We have got on the players for failing to acknowledge the supporters in the past, whether at BMO or in montreal. However, tonight's celebration seemed a bit too enthusiastic for a team that is 0-9 in league play. perhaps the wrong timing for this post. We just on the amway canadian championship, and we should give the players and the fans their moment. However, I'll need a few league wins before I am ready to say this team is headed in the right direction.

bigredone
05-24-2012, 12:14 AM
It is not too late for van Marwijk to call up Soolsma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Auzzy
05-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Props for proper predictions, from the pre-game thread:

bigredone:

I think 2 - 1 TFC on agg.

But I think the prize goes to:
Walms:

dreams/predictions?..

Had one last night, 0-0 at half time, then of all people Dunfield scors the winner in the 2nd

TFC win 1-0

Sure as hell wasn't Dunfield scoring, but it was 0-0 at half, TFC winning 1-0 in the end...

yellowfellow
05-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Regarding De Guzer, if you watch closely, you can actually see Davidson come over and step on his toe. I can't blame De Guz too much for reacting. Morgan's run was fantastic.

Davidson certainly made the most out of it. What a douche. He had to check his jar after a little tap from DeGuz.

Auzzy
05-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Davidson certainly made the most out of it. What a douche. He had to check his jar after a little tap from DeGuz.

Serious epidermal contusion, predicted out 6-8 weeks with bad case of fuckwaditis.

TFC07
05-24-2012, 12:33 AM
LOL @ Shitecap supporters!

They still think they're best team in Canada even though they couldn't beat 0-0-9 team (they had two games to do that). Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it to the finals next year (I predict Montreal beat them in ACC and then play against TFC in the finals).

Vancouver is overrated team that gets too much credit here. I have no clue how in the world they're winning games in MLS. Their team lacks a midfield and it's filled with bunch of diving crybabies. Also they seem have no Canadian players. So it's a good thing that most Canadian friendly MLS team won ACC.

Anyway, congrats to TFC. I don't know how they do it, but they always find a way to win non-league games.

Roogsy
05-24-2012, 01:08 AM
I enjoyed two particular elements of the game. 1) Plata completely owning the "great" Y.P. Lee and 2) a Vancouver team choking yet again. They're all insufferable cunts.

Blizzard
05-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Ah ha ha Martin Rennie complaining that the ref Silviu Petrescu is from Toronto. (I mean the guy would have been justified in giving Toronto one or two PKs if he wanted to help.)

Dear sir, Petrescu is from Kitchener. But I would like to invite you to a Kitchener Rangers game some day, and you can call all the locals a bunch of Torontonians.

Why don't we take Rennie to a Kitchener Rangers game so he can learn what a real punch to the face looks like! Better yet, let's suit him up so he can learn first hand. Pussy!

daner90
05-24-2012, 01:36 AM
What a fucking game. There weren't many elements of the match in which TFC were not the better side.

Still so proud to wear the badge on my shirt and the TFC scarf around my neck and nights like this just help remind me why I love this club!

Blizzard
05-24-2012, 01:38 AM
It was clearly offside. Ecks held on far too long.

Huyton
05-24-2012, 01:46 AM
I enjoyed two particular elements of the game. 1) Plata completely owning the "great" Y.P. Lee and 2) a Vancouver team choking yet again. They're all insufferable cunts.

Yes indeed. Vancouver gets 86'ed again.

Redcoe15
05-24-2012, 02:02 AM
You know what's great about tonight's win? The fact that we beat two teams that were in MLS form and had much better records than us. Montreal and Vancouver supporters have to be in foul, shitty moods right now.

No one like us, we don't care. :devil: TFC... 4... LIIIFE!!!!!

lobo
05-24-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm just going to leave this here...

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/styles/AnimatedArena/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by DichioTFC http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/styles/AnimatedArena/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=1492729#post1492729)
I'm feeling optimistic, if for no other reason that the law of percentages dictates that we have to win eventually :)

Fucking called it. I had a feeling we would win the NCC, our team does well when they're confident and focused. And also, the team is 2-0 when I stop by the RPB in-game chat. Just sayin. :)

law of percentages? or maybe the law of WEDNESDAYS!

Wednesday games .... 3-4-1
Saturday games ....... 0-0-9

loved the emotion in the game, and the southeast corner was loud and proud, well done all!

Waggy
05-24-2012, 02:33 AM
heh. haha. bahahahaha. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

awesome

that is all

Just One Man
05-24-2012, 02:52 AM
It may be a lost season already, but four straight Voyagers Cups is a nice consolation. If this tournament manages to survive, or even thrive, it will be nice to look back on all the Toronto FC teams listed on it.

ryan
05-24-2012, 04:42 AM
Couple things I'm wondering now...

ACC seeding for 2013. I believe this was based on standings from the previous season, which is why it was TFC/VWFC/FCE/MTL this year, could we actually be the #3 seed next year as reigning champions?

Regarding CCL seeding, there's a fine print rule, kind of bullshit, that states no US and MEX based clubs can be paired in the group stage of the CCL. Meaning we're guaranteed to be grouped with MEX1, MEX2, USA1 or USA2. The other 4 Pot A teams are not someone we can get grouped with because of that rule. Tigres, Santos, LA or Seattle is our next threat then..

Oldtimer
05-24-2012, 06:17 AM
The CONCACAF rules are all set up to make a US/Mexico final a likely outcome. However, TFC seems to like to beat the odds in any cup competition.

The best tweet from last night?

SCGGrant
The only way for #TFC to top this is to go 0-34 and win the Concacaf Champions League next year.

:D

No question that TFC was the better club throughout this competition. The strange thing is that Toronto beat the same teams that it lost to in MLS! This is not a 0-9 team, despite the league standings.

Auzzy
05-24-2012, 07:04 AM
We need a GIF of that twat Davidson taking a touch to the face, dropping like a ton of bricks, checking his jaw.

maninb
05-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Let's just EAT deGuzman's contract and NEVER let that little twit on the pitch again...we're much better without him....Cann and Henry completed bossed Hassli and had him whining like a little biotch...

Fort York Redcoat
05-24-2012, 07:09 AM
What a night. I live for midweek games. Electric yet again in the stands. Thanks to Furty poppin his capo cherry even if it was for only a couple songs. It means you need to get into the regular rotation, kid.:coolgleam:

Speaking of cherries- the metaphoric sundae topper for me last night was watching the Voyageurs Cup marched out by a member that helped make this grow to what it is. Let's not forget this and let the suits call the tourney call it the sponsor-of-the-year cup.

To us it should always be the Voyageurs Cup.

Bring on the CCL.

TFCBarrie
05-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Terrific effort by the boys last night, that was a great game to watch. And i'll take one of our players getting a red when sticking up for a team-mate any day of the week. To the Champions League!

Gazza
05-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Julian De Guzman should never play again. Also, someone needs to strip off the Canadian flag from that Davidson's shirt. How that guy can look himself in the mirror this morning is beyond me.

Not only are we the greatest Canadian team of all time...we may be the greatest TEAM of all time! ;)

Gazza
05-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Haha...all i kept hearing from Dobson was "great" and "legend" in regards to Lee. Great legends don't allow Plata free reign nor free headers at goal.

Abou Sky
05-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Anyone have pics of my boy on the capo stand with Bobby?

__wowza
05-24-2012, 08:07 AM
i love how the post-game blog-os-sphere was just prizby and i running down butthurt whitecaps fans on the MLS/TFC website. anywho.. what the southsiders are saying:

We can't purge the pain of the Montreal debacle until we win this cup. A lot of my anxiety and anger of this loss comes out of the anger of that disgraceful evening (and to a secondary degree the absolute bullshit of last year).

I'm glad for Cann. He's pure class. He rallied his club, set the tone early and helped an 18 and a 20 year-old dominate our top forwards. Good luck TFC. You deserve it.

No question that tfc was the better team over the 2 games and deserved the win. Let's not bitch about the officials pretty please...Caps didn't do nearly enough to win. Did the tfc keeper make ANY saves tonight..brutal.
And Davidson...fucking embarrassing. I'd love to see Rennie sit him a game to send a message that shit like that won't fly on this team. Given the amount of games lately and the fact that "near death experiences" are an accepted part of the game that's not likely however. But that's a rant for another day.
Congrats tfc...you earned this one. Now go fuck yourselves.

I fast-forwarded most of the second half because the first was so poor, so don't have too much intelligent to say. Despite what they said, it was clear the 'Caps don't really rate this tournament. That's fine with me, it's making the playoffs that will start to give Canadian MLS teams some legitimacy

No need to be a condescending fucking cunt. If you're happy with the effort, I certainly question your views. Nobody was in a tougher situation than TFC. They had players, Canadian players, step up and win the cup. Blaming congestion, the referrees, or anything else other than a lack of passion is ridiculous.

^ this last one was a callout for another SS member. i dont understand how their mods can sit back while two of their members have a back and forth throwing words around like "fucking cunt" and "xenophobic". weird. either way. goddamn, that cup feels good. they can take their league points, frame em, and stick them in their trophy case.

__wowza
05-24-2012, 08:10 AM
oh, and this one deserves a separate post.

pure. class.

I hope every member of TFC's organization dies horribly of AIDS.

Rene Kingsriver
05-24-2012, 08:16 AM
In the pregame thread I said the Whitecaps weren't getting enough respect given they were 18 points ahead of us in the MLS standing... I take it all back, they are fucking dire. Nice to have a win and keep Vancouver Voyageur Cup-less, I think FC Edmonton might just win a cup before they do.

Rene Kingsriver
05-24-2012, 08:18 AM
oh, and this one deserves a separate post.

pure. class.

Having driven through their Downtown Eastside I think that's more likely to happen to the Vancouver FO than ours

__wowza
05-24-2012, 08:32 AM
http://i.imm.io/qkCt.png

canadian_bhoy
05-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Championees Championees Oh nine oh nine oh nine!

Got stuck at work and had to watch what I could of the match at home. Craig Forrest and Gerry Dobson were so mad that Toronto won. I love that those old boy soccer Canada guys hate TFC and are so jealous of the club's success (off the field). Eat it!

Yohan
05-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Great result. Pretty choppy game, but I'll take a grinder win. TFC actually was possessing the ball well quite a bit, with Frings spraying passes everywhere. Couple of nice cross field passes. Anyone else thinks Reggie Lambe reminds them of Rohan Ricketts, except Lambe has more mental fortitude to get the job done? He's got 4 goals in all competitions already and may be this year's Plata. I like having depth on offence.

Does this win fix everything that's wrong with this club? No.
But it's nice to win, and maybe the team can put aside their difference to finally play like we dream...

On to Sat and 3pts vs Philly!

Furtado91
05-24-2012, 08:40 AM
WHAT A GAME!!!!!!!. the stands were electrifying and a big THANK YOU to all the well wishers who congratulated me on jumping on that capo stand. It is quite Intimidating at first but sometimes you have to go that extra mile for the club :). and i must have hugged half the squad after the win, it was crazy. This is group is something else, when someone is feeling down about the club or anything else, people here always push you to get back up and keep on keeping on.

These are the games that make the suffering just a tad bit more bearable. 4 Times we have won this cup and what a feeling. I WANT TO SEE AN AWESOME COMMEMORATIVE SCARF MADE FOR THIS OCCASION. the flags were amazing, they were everywhere, and the night was just magical. and as Pete so famously sings............... NEVER SURRENDER. It was nice to see the squad have smiles on their faces. That Le Toux incident was laughable at best. it was a courtesy slap and he fell down as if he got knocked out cold. I hate seeing that krap whether its from an opposing team or my own team tisk tisk tisk.

BayernTFC
05-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Loving the win, Eks was the perfect sub. Gotta give Winter credit for that.
Yeah, Winter had some excellent options on the bench last night and he chose correctly. It was a good adjustment to move Hall into the midfield to fill in after JDG's exit, and Ecks showed his value. Eckersley owned that right side. I can't say enough good things about Soolsma. He provided a spark offensively for TFC yet again. I can't disagree with subbing on Dunfield to help close out the match. Although, I do admit to being nervous about that choice when it was made. I'm still reeling from Bayern's inability to prevent Chelsea from scoring last Saturday after Jupp Heynckes subbed-off Thomas Müller for Daniel van Buyten so close to the end of regulation time. Good on TFC for not allowing any last second heroics from Vancouver.

tfcleeds
05-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Craig Forrest can eat a dick. So blatantly obvious he wasn't happy Toronto won. If you have so much contempt for the city that provides you with a living, go back to Coquitlam, idiot.Campiones!!!!!!

Jack
05-24-2012, 08:52 AM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2990&d=1337867520

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2012, 08:54 AM

Haha, that's fantastic!

- Scott

BayernTFC
05-24-2012, 08:54 AM
League form aside, TFC have been the better team throughout the tourney. 2 wins out of 4 games is a statement. And they were the better team tonight. The title is well-deserved.

VWFC were thoroughly unimpressive.
I completely agree. There's a reason why games are played on the pitch and not on paper. I'm glad the ACC is decided in such a manner and not just handed to the Canadian team who happens to be currently ahead in the MLS standings. You want to raise the Voyageurs cup and represent Canada in the CCL? Then you have to prove that you are better than the other Canadian teams.

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2012, 09:03 AM
http://i.qkme.me/3pfdnp.jpg

- Scott

tfcleeds
05-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Another choice quote from the Southsiders board - love how they're having a go at one another, haha....."A tough loss huh, how long have you been a season ticket holder I have been supporting this team since 1980 and have probably been to more games than you have had hot dinners, so I have the right to expect better, winning every game is not one of those but not falling apart in an important match is. You know where I will be next game and beyond Supporting the caps and hoping they win, where you gonna be in the beer line up. By they way I only support one team in this town and that the Caps, I think the Orcas suck just like you."

__wowza
05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
http://i.qkme.me/3pfec8.jpg

Auzzy
05-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Ha ha headline just now on the MLS home page:

"World's worst team passes the mantle"

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2012, 10:29 AM
JDG was pure gangsta last night. I think it was risky on his part, but I liked his passion in standing up for his teammates.

Redcoe15
05-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Love. That!

backbeat
05-24-2012, 10:36 AM
i agree - some here seem to be on him for his actions, which to a small degree i understand BUT he supported his teammate, got stomped on by a pussy boy and gave him a tap on the cheek - if i were a VWC supporter i'd be humiliated. JDG had played a solid game to that point and at best deserved a yellow, nothing more...

Jack
05-24-2012, 10:39 AM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2992&d=1337873746

Roogsy
05-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah, Winter had some excellent options on the bench last night and he chose correctly. It was a good adjustment to move Hall into the midfield to fill in after JDG's exit, and Ecks showed his value. Eckersley owned that right side. I can't say enough good things about Soolsma. He provided a spark offensively for TFC yet again. I can't disagree with subbing on Dunfield to help close out the match. Although, I do admit to being nervous about that choice when it was made. I'm still reeling from Bayern's inability to prevent Chelsea from scoring last Saturday after Jupp Heynckes subbed-off Thomas Müller for Daniel van Buyten so close to the end of regulation time. Good on TFC for not allowing any last second heroics from Vancouver.

Switching from Ecks when he looked to originally bring in Danny K was a smart move and the right one. Full credit. Closed the game right there.

Carts
05-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Switching from Ecks when he looked to originally bring in Danny K was a smart move and the right one. Full credit. Closed the game right there.

BIG ECKS is ALWAYS the RIGHT OPTION!

Protect a lead, need a goal, street fight, drinking contest, marathon, spelling bee, fashion show, rock-paper-scissors, blackjack - BIG ECKS DOES ALL...!!!

g:D

__wowza
05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
http://i.qkme.me/3pffdi.jpg

Oldtimer
05-24-2012, 11:18 AM

So maybe instead of the media asking Winter, why does the team do so well in cup competitions and so poorly in the league, and Winter answering "I don't know," they should be asking him, "why do you make such great decisions in cup competitions and such stupid ones from time-to-time in the league?"

:confused:

ryan
05-24-2012, 11:19 AM
anyone else having a reeeeeeeeally good day today?

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2012, 11:24 AM
anyone else having a reeeeeeeeally good day today?

Yup. It's always fun watching Vancouver fans in any professional sport squirm.

Pookie
05-24-2012, 11:30 AM
I wonder if Coach Rennie knows that the assistant ref, Darren Clark, was actually from BC. If you believe in the homerism theory, that could explain why no one brought attention to the fact that Adrian Cann was being um, closely marked, on our corner kicks. Cann was lucky to escape that game without getting pregnant.

reggie
05-24-2012, 11:45 AM
- we were the better team,end of story.
- to van city want some cheese with that whine.jeezze
- dobson..can you get the players right..wtf.
- to the local media,the fan 590,how about a little coverage,your going to own the team soon,the fan is a shithole full of hockey fpucks.
- who was the hottie that gave frings that hug after the game,priceless.

T-boy
05-24-2012, 12:00 PM

I took 3 friends to the game who have never been to see TFC before, but are big football fans. I LOVED the game, but they thought it was pretty terrible! So, I think for a TFC fan it was exciting as it was a tight game, and then we won at the last hurdle. But as my friends said - it was a terrible game, with hardly any forward play at all until the last ten minutes, and most of the game was a giant midfield battle.

I don't think TFC "played well" - I just think it was a midfield melee of a game, which TFC just eeked out.

Also - what the HELL is Le Tour still doing on the wing?! That's a horrible decision IMO. Hassli was out muscled by Cann at the back (good for Cann) - but Le Toux may have had much better movement if he was played as the number 9. Big error by Vancouver again.

I'll take the win tho, even if it was pretty ugly to watch.

QBall
05-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Anyone know how I can send Davidson a big bottle of Massengill? I don't want his vagina to feel not-so-fresh on top of being bitch slapped and then losing to a winless team yesterday. Let's show some consideration folks.

JuliquE
05-24-2012, 12:05 PM
I wonder if Coach Rennie knows that the assistant ref, Darren Clark, was actually from BC. If you believe in the homerism theory, that could explain why no one brought attention to the fact that Adrian Cann was being um, closely marked, on our corner kicks. Cann was lucky to escape that game without getting pregnant.
There's the knock-out punch; Vancouver are out of excuses.

Yeah, Winter had some excellent options on the bench last night and he chose correctly. It was a good adjustment to move Hall into the midfield to fill in after JDG's exit, and Ecks showed his value. Eckersley owned that right side. I can't say enough good things about Soolsma. He provided a spark offensively for TFC yet again. I can't disagree with subbing on Dunfield to help close out the match. Although, I do admit to being nervous about that choice when it was made. I'm still reeling from Bayern's inability to prevent Chelsea from scoring last Saturday after Jupp Heynckes subbed-off Thomas Müller for Daniel van Buyten so close to the end of relegation time. Good on TFC for not allowing any last second heroics from Vancouver.
FYP. :trollface: ^^

i agree - some here seem to be on him for his actions, which to a small degree i understand BUT he supported his teammate, got stomped on by a pussy boy and gave him a tap on the cheek - if i were a VWC supporter i'd be humiliated. JDG had played a solid game to that point and at best deserved a yellow, nothing more...
Have to agree with this and ManUtd4ever's original comment; was in to make the same point, myself.

There was much vitriol directed at JDG and I wouldn't go as far as to say it were misguided. I guess it just comes down to me viewing that situation differently; when you think about the frustrations this team has endured and the media's sensationalism of infighting, this seems to be just what they needed -- a show of togetherness, with him defending his team-mate. Admittedly, it's risky for him to slap Davidson, but it was provoked and a shame that he (Davidson) was let off the hook for clipping him, in the first place. There also seems to be a great deal of confusion, here: Le Toux was already about to be given his marching papers, for the original challenge (stomp?) on Johnson (hence JDG's reaction).

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2012, 12:09 PM

LOL, I love it, and I'm stealing it. Hope you don't mind.

Just One Man
05-24-2012, 12:11 PM
What a night. I live for midweek games. Electric yet again in the stands. Thanks to Furty poppin his capo cherry even if it was for only a couple songs. It means you need to get into the regular rotation, kid.:coolgleam:

Speaking of cherries- the metaphoric sundae topper for me last night was watching the Voyageurs Cup marched out by a member that helped make this grow to what it is. Let's not forget this and let the suits call the tourney call it the sponsor-of-the-year cup.

To us it should always be the Voyageurs Cup.

Bring on the CCL.

Totally agreed. I wish people would start referring to it as the Voyagers Cup, or VC, as opposed to this NCC, ACC, garbage.

Nobody but Sportsnet people say "Mastercard Memorial Cup", why does anybody but the TV rights holder say "Amway Canadian Championship"?

billyfly
05-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Do we wear "Worst Team in the World" as a badge?

jloome
05-24-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't think TFC "played well" - I just think it was a midfield melee of a game, which TFC just eeked out.

Sure, it wasn't a premier league match in full flight. But we outshot them 9-4, so we were doing something right. Both teams are going to play tight in the second leg of a 1-1 draw. I think both came in at under 70% complete passing, so it wasn't pretty. But tactics aren't always pretty, and if you tactically pull off what you intended and win the game, I think you get to call that playing well.

lobo
05-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I took 3 friends to the game who have never been to see TFC before, but are big football fans. I LOVED the game, but they thought it was pretty terrible! So, I think for a TFC fan it was exciting as it was a tight game, and then we won at the last hurdle. But as my friends said - it was a terrible game, with hardly any forward play at all until the last ten minutes, and most of the game was a giant midfield battle.

terrible game? hardly any forward play? midfield melee? ugly to watch? ..... wtf, seriously????

no need to listen to your anything-but-MLS snob friends ... hell if they don't like football games that feature mid-field battles, i'm not sure there is any league in the world gonna satisfy them ... sorry, but your friend's opinions are garbage, especially if they base it on a single game, a cup final to be exact, which are almost always (in any country or league) hard-fought, grinding games with a lot of play at mid-field .... maybe your friends simply prefer nice friendly games with lots of attacking and no emotion, seems to be more their style :out:

JuliquE
05-24-2012, 12:40 PM
terrible game? hardly any forward play?
I know, right. 13-4 shots.. pssshhh.

pdogg
05-24-2012, 12:51 PM
What we need is a genuine uefa CL final where one team is on the attack and the other puts all 11 men behind the ball for the whole match. Now that is exciting football.

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2012, 12:54 PM
It's worth noting that TFC had more Canadians in their starting lineup throughout the tournament than Montreal and Vancouver combined. It's no coincidence that our players wanted it more.

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
What we need is a genuine uefa CL final where one team is on the attack and the other puts all 11 men behind the ball for the whole match. Now that is exciting football.

LOL, well played.

Richard
05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2962/capturegff.jpg

ACSertL
05-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Well I thought I was over it...

Section_105
05-24-2012, 01:11 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3pffdi.jpg

oh hell man I just burst out laughing at work. A dozen people looking at me like I'm a nut and I can't even show this to them to explain it.

well played!

edit - wow, can't believe this is my first post. have been lurking for over a year and it feels like I must have posted in the past......

so, in section 105 between the 18 and the 6 and can confirm 1. Soolsma was offside (eks, get the pass of faster please? thx) 2. the ball in Cannon's hands didn't cross the line (though I screamed at the refs to give it anyway cause why the hell not try to sell it to at least get a possible make up call later)

TorontoGooner
05-24-2012, 01:11 PM
One thing you could never say about being a TFC fan is that it gets boring. Wow.

CAMPEONES

trane
05-24-2012, 01:12 PM

(I kid. I was between that and "Julian Deguzman: evil genius?" for his red card, which then guaranteed a yellow and a settle-up red against le toux, and we play a style that favors 10 on 10. But that seemed complex.)

We shuold fire the coach, as clearly we have a better team then the 0-9 record, for those that were saying that we do not have the tallent, a game like this clearly shows that our tallent is there to be at least competitive in the MLS.

Oldtimer
05-24-2012, 01:20 PM

Not everyone has an EPL or la liga to attend. Most football fans world-wide have to accept something less when it comes to live football. Enjoy it for what it is.

Smokecell
05-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Sure De Guzman's move was stupid but on the other hand it was nice to finally see somebody on this club show some passion...we're an 0-9 team and with all the rumors of a separated dressing room it was nice to see Julian step up for another teammate and the rest of the side rise to grind out the big W. Wins don't have to be pretty and good on the boys for getting it done

Jack
05-24-2012, 01:26 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2994&d=1337883840

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2993&d=1337883839

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2012, 01:31 PM
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2962/capturegff.jpg

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2993&d=1337883839

LOL.

Toronto FC, the most interesting football club in the world...

v00d00daddy
05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
We shuold fire the coach, as clearly we have a better team then the 0-9 record, for those that were saying that we do not have the tallent, a game like this clearly shows that our tallent is there to be at least competitive in the MLS.

Maybe...or maybe we just witnessed what our team looks like when they limit, or eliminate all together, stupid amateurish mistakes.

The question is...can they consistently avoid the brain cramps?

__wowza
05-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Do we wear "Worst Team in the World" as a badge?

very tongue in cheek with my comment. between koev mentioning it and it being touted by several rival supporters, i thought it was a funny observation.

edit - wow, can't believe this is my first post. have been lurking for over a year and it feels like I must have posted in the past......

so, in section 105 between the 18 and the 6 and can confirm 1. Soolsma was offside (eks, get the pass of faster please?

welcome to the circus. :wink5:
ecks did well to shake his marking. we wouldnt have even had a chance if he hadn't done it. soolsma should've still done his part to keep onside. it was a 3 on 2.

Jack
05-24-2012, 01:42 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2996&d=1337884274

Roogsy
05-24-2012, 01:43 PM

I didn't want to say it before in this thread, but I was thinking the same last night.

This is a good team. Maybe not great. But it's a good team. There is no reason it should be 0-9.

__wowza
05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
my response for every whitecap fan who likes to remind us we're 0-0-9.

http://i.qkme.me/3pfi1o.jpg

Jack
05-24-2012, 01:49 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2997&d=1337885329

billyfly
05-24-2012, 01:49 PM
I think it has a certain ring to it.

That Tor Star mentions it as well so it seems it has some stay.

Toronto FC may be the “worst team in the world.”
But for a fourth straight year, they are the best team in Canada.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1183282--toronto-fc-wins-canadian-championship

I assume that's where you got it from.

Yes Danny K might have come on to something special.

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2012, 01:50 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2997&d=1337885329

I just LOL'd at my desk! You and Wowza are on a roll today!

Roogsy
05-24-2012, 01:56 PM
It's pretty funny that Danny's heartwrenching grief has been turned into a funny classic meme that will likely survive many years.

Fort York Redcoat
05-24-2012, 01:58 PM

I didn't want to say it before in this thread, but I was thinking the same last night.

This is a good team. Maybe not great. But it's a good team. There is no reason it should be 0-9.

Not much has changed from your standpoints. Win or lose the response to this game would be the same. That's fine. I'll expect it months from now if we still have our coach and even if we're 9-9 (That's 9W and 9L Roogsg:D)

In this thread we're champions. There's a pregame thread to focus league disappointment. I appreciate you both waiting this long before you adding these unignorable facts.

Jack
05-24-2012, 01:59 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2998&d=1337885926

Yohan
05-24-2012, 01:59 PM
It's pretty funny that Danny's heartwrenching grief has been turned into a funny classic meme that will likely survive many years.
Wankouver Shitecaps: more worse than worst team in the world :D

Canary10
05-24-2012, 02:00 PM
I really think our problem is playing at that high level of intensity every game. We definitely showed we can get up for a big game and put in a good effort. We don't do it every game though.

What this team needs is the really feisty/emotional players out there stirring up shit right from the opening whistle. Guys like Ecks and Johnson - they should be looking for a hard tackle where they can just kill someone. Stuff like that. The crowd feeds off that too. I agree with what T-Boy said earlier, it was a pretty shit game for good stretches, but when the cards came out, the fans got into it (beyond the supporters sections, who were great last night throughout) and the team as a whole responded. The team needs something like that to put the fight in them.

Detroit_TFC
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Sometimes getting over-meme'ed can be too much. That is not the case here. Laughing my ass off.

Roogsy
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2998&d=1337885926

:smilielol5:

Yohan
05-24-2012, 02:03 PM
I really think our problem is playing at that high level of intensity every game. We definitely showed we can get up for a big game and put in a good effort. We don't do it every game though.

What this team needs is the really feisty/emotional players out there stirring up shit right from the opening whistle. Guys like Ecks and Johnson - they should be looking for a hard tackle where they can just kill someone. Stuff like that. The crowd feeds off that too. I agree with what T-Boy said earlier, it was a pretty shit game for good stretches, but when the cards came out, the fans got into it (beyond the supporters sections, who were great last night throughout) and the team as a whole responded. The team needs something like that to put the fight in them.
it's always been mental toughness thing with TFC. what's the difference between last game vs DC and Vancouver? high pressure, hustle and effort. Vancouver is just as talented as DC.

this team is talented enough. Imagine Ecks, Morgan and Henry 2-3 yrs from now, the way they are growing as players

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Not much has changed from your standpoints. Win or lose the response to this game would be the same. That's fine. I'll expect it months from now if we still have our coach and even if we're 9-9 (That's 9W and 9L Roogsg:D)

In this thread we're champions. There's a pregame thread to focus league disappointment. I appreciate you both waiting this long before you adding these unignorable facts.

If we're 9-9 in a couple of months, I'm sure everyone who has called for Winter's dismissal (myself included) will gladly eat their words.

In all honesty though, I tend to agree that performances like last night are more of an indictment of the coaching staff than a testament.

Like myself and many others have stated all season, our roster is far too talented to be the laughingstock of the league, and the Voyageurs Cup results have only reinforced that belief.

Jack
05-24-2012, 02:21 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3002&d=1337887174

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3001&d=1337887173

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3000&d=1337887172

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2999&d=1337887171

Ok...I think I'm all memed out.

Oldtimer
05-24-2012, 02:38 PM
To make it worse, much worse for longtime Whitecaps fans, don't forget that before the Nutrilite/Amway tourney, the Voyageurs Cup was awarded based on D-2 play. The Whitecaps futility streak for the Voyageurs Cup actually lasts for 10 long, long years. That's quite amazing when you consider that during that entire time, only between 2 and 5 teams were ever in the running. Actually only 2 clubs have ever hoisted the trophy, the Limpact and TFC.

Oldtimer
05-24-2012, 02:44 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3002&d=1337887174

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3001&d=1337887173

Bwa-ha-ha!!!! :lol:

Ben - D.O.W.
05-24-2012, 02:44 PM
If everyone else memed a cup win would you? Yes, yes I would.

http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/320510.jpg

Jack
05-24-2012, 02:48 PM
I really needed this thread today. It's been a lot of fun.

ryan
05-24-2012, 02:52 PM
If everyone else memed a cup win would you? Yes, yes I would.

http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/320510.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaahahaha.

trane
05-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Maybe...or maybe we just witnessed what our team looks like when they limit, or eliminate all together, stupid amateurish mistakes.

The question is...can they consistently avoid the brain cramps?

It is part of the managers jobs, to make sure that his team is ready, clearly in most games his team is not ready, and hence the results.

__wowza
05-24-2012, 02:54 PM
http://i.imm.io/qmGx.jpeg

trane
05-24-2012, 02:57 PM

It is hard for me to understand how this is not clear to everybody.

The answer seems so clear.

Yohan
05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
http://i.imm.io/qmgx.jpeg

ahahahaha!!!

edit: lol why is the quote not working properly?

Jack
05-24-2012, 03:01 PM

Trane, this is the "silly memes about us beating the Shitecaps thread". The doom and gloom thread is a few posts up g:D

Tee Ef See
05-24-2012, 03:02 PM
It took 3 and a half months to get the right tactics and player formations........get ready for a roll starting Sat....although Sporting KC on June 16 will be really really really tough. Best team in MLS IMO.

EDIT: With Zusi called up for the USMNT, Espinoza for Honduras and hopefully Kamara called up for Sierra Leone does anyone know if these call ups will affect the June 16 game?

Yohan
05-24-2012, 03:07 PM
It took 3 and a half months to get the right tactics and player formations........get ready for a roll starting Sat....although Sporting KC on June 16 will be really really really tough. Best team in MLS IMO.

EDIT: With Zusi called up for the USMNT, Espinoza for Honduras and hopefully Kamara called up for Sierra Leone does anyone know if these call ups will affect the June 16 game?
they should all be back for KC by then

trane
05-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Trane, this is the "silly memes about us beating the Shitecaps thread". The doom and gloom thread is a few posts up g:D

I am happy too. It is good to see the boys giving it their all.

As I always point out I personally care about this tournament and the CL more then the MLS. So my current feelings about TFC are complicated.

rocker
05-24-2012, 03:13 PM
fun match.... things got crazy after those two reds. The crowd was suddenly sooooooo intense and responding to every single pass/tackle/shot. (and that was before the goal). Every spectator was completely tuned in. That's great entertainment. Loved the ole's near the end when TFC was dominating possession and passing.

Vancouver need to shut the fuck up about the ref. It was a two game series and was nearly 2 wins for TFC, if not for Hassli's moment of brilliance in injury time of game 1. Plus the ref was crap for us too... so many missed or non-calls right in front of me.
They got zero shots on goal last night according to the match stats report. ZERO SHOTS.

And Winter was right... TFC is better than Montreal and Vancouver :)

Yohan
05-24-2012, 03:20 PM
And Winter was right... TFC is better than Montreal and Vancouver :)
ahaha. totally forgot about that quote

Auzzy
05-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Awesome memes guys, I'm howling at work here.

Auzzy
05-24-2012, 03:22 PM
To make it worse, much worse for longtime Whitecaps fans, don't forget that before the Nutrilite/Amway tourney, the Voyageurs Cup was awarded based on D-2 play. The Whitecaps futility streak for the Voyageurs Cup actually lasts for 10 long, long years. That's quite amazing when you consider that during that entire time, only between 2 and 5 teams were ever in the running. Actually only 2 clubs have ever hoisted the trophy, the Limpact and TFC.

Wow, that's amazing.

tfcleeds
05-24-2012, 03:24 PM
^Yep, 7 straight wins for the Impact starting in 2002, 4 straight wins for us.

Tee Ef See
05-24-2012, 03:27 PM
they should all be back for KC by then

1-0-10 Will be our record after June 16th then.

ryan
05-24-2012, 03:32 PM
^Yep, 7 straight wins for the Impact starting in 2002, 4 straight wins for us.

I guess we need to win the next 4. We are the record smashers!

1-0-10 Will be our record after June 16th then.

Not so sure. SKC is winless in 4 with SJ coming to town. They have lost that early season form

Tee Ef See
05-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Not so sure. SKC is winless in 4 with SJ coming to town. They have lost that early season form

They lost to Montreal, cause the Impact played the 10-1 formation after going up a goal.
And Collins cost a PK in the Montreal and Chicago games. Espinoza getting a red in Chicago too. And SKC without Espinoza is like SKC without a mid. He is a beast and it showed against Colorado.

I know all about their last 4 games, and if you watched the games you would know that they were the best team regardless of the results.

Best team in MLS especially with a full lineup, which they haven't had the last little while.

Either way, I'm confident TFC can pull off a win vs Philly, and hopefully they can muster some points vs SKC. That would be a HUGE morale/confidence boost.

Oldtimer
05-24-2012, 03:43 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3004&d=1337892119

T-boy
05-24-2012, 03:53 PM
terrible game? hardly any forward play? midfield melee? ugly to watch? ..... wtf, seriously????

no need to listen to your anything-but-MLS snob friends ... hell if they don't like football games that feature mid-field battles, i'm not sure there is any league in the world gonna satisfy them ... sorry, but your friend's opinions are garbage, especially if they base it on a single game, a cup final to be exact, which are almost always (in any country or league) hard-fought, grinding games with a lot of play at mid-field .... maybe your friends simply prefer nice friendly games with lots of attacking and no emotion, seems to be more their style :out:

if you thought that was a pretty game to watch, in any shape or form, then you need to do the "you are crazy" emoticon to yourself! It wasn't pretty at all!

and who said my friends were "anything but MLS snobs"? They've seen a number of games between them (one friend watches all the TFC games on the TV!) but just never BEEN to a TFC game in person.

I agree with them tho - it wasn't pretty to watch at all. If I wasn't a hardcore fan, I would think the game was awful to watch! It was just the fact that I wanted TFC to win so badly that I thought it was exciting. To a neutral, it was a pretty bad game!

T-boy
05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Not everyone has an EPL or la liga to attend. Most football fans world-wide have to accept something less when it comes to live football. Enjoy it for what it is.

you don't have to tell me that! I'm a yellow-and-blue blooded Oxford United fan (League 2) and I'll NEVER support another English team (I will never support a EPL team in the premiership unless its Oxford). I watched games when they were in the conference, and I'd support them if they were in a Blue Square South league! But I know a free flowing football game when I see one, and last night wasn't one of them!

But as I said, I'll take an ugly hard to watch win for TFC right now.

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2012, 03:59 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3pfkqd.jpg

- Scott

Tee Ef See
05-24-2012, 04:21 PM
If anyone thinks 85% of MLS games are free flowing they are nuts.

Code Red
05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Anyone else been listening to Red City Ramblers today? I've hit the play button on "The Legend TFC", "Toronto Through And Through" and "12 Of May" at least half a dozen times today. g:D

http://www.myspace.com/redcityramblers

Now about that trophy Mr. DeMerit...........

billyfly
05-24-2012, 05:18 PM
We are the worst team in the world but the best in Canada has to made into a chant.

Huyton
05-24-2012, 05:47 PM
We are the worst team in the world but the best in Canada has to made into a chant.

There's an old christian gospel song" He's got the whole world in his hands" that works quite nicely:
We are the worst tee-eam in the World
But the best in Canada

repeat ad nauseum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD9O34gR1FU

So...when is the scarf coming out? "Worst Team in the World" on one side and "Voyageurs Cup Champions 2012" on the other?

mowe
05-24-2012, 06:09 PM
There's an old christian gospel song" He's got the whole world in his hands" that works quite nicely:
But the best in Canada

repeat ad nauseum.

Absolutely perfect.

jloome
05-24-2012, 06:16 PM

There is no logic to saying "they showed they can be good, so 0-9 is on the coach." That's one of many potential arguments. Another would "our players are smart enough to hold the ball in his system with the space from 10 v. 10, but not smart enough to do it quickly 11 v. 11. Ergo we have the wrong players."

In fact, that would make more sense than "they're a good team that loses, ergo the good team part is the players and the losing part is the coach." Substantially more.

Last night they eliminated the dumb mistakes (for the most part. Vancouver only had four shots, but two of those were headers on blow coverage again).

Again, not an endorsement of Winter. Perhaps it's just not a system suited to MLS and he should have amended it long before now.

But look at how close some of those games were, and how we are often statistically dead-even with the other team, and the losses come down to the small fuckups. That's a player issue first.

It's a coach issue, too, because he has to reduce the problem; but if the player's aren't quick thinkers in a league like MLS then, as some suggest, changing the coach without weeding out the weak players is useless.

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Great post, jloome.

Also, did anyone see that Davidson's ridiculous embellishment of the JDG slap was the lead in to this evenings Sportscentre Top 10 (of the best sports dives)? Whitecaps fans must be embarassed.

- Scott

Canary10
05-24-2012, 06:50 PM
There is no logic to saying "they showed they can be good, so 0-9 is on the coach." That's one of many potential arguments. Another would "our players are smart enough to hold the ball in his system with the space from 10 v. 10, but not smart enough to do it quickly 11 v. 11. Ergo we have the wrong players."

In fact, that would make more sense than "they're a good team that loses, ergo the good team part is the players and the losing part is the coach." Substantially more.

Last night they eliminated the dumb mistakes (for the most part. Vancouver only had four shots, but two of those were headers on blow coverage again).

Again, not an endorsement of Winter. Perhaps it's just not a system suited to MLS and he should have amended it long before now.

But look at how close some of those games were, and how we are often statistically dead-even with the other team, and the losses come down to the small fuckups. That's a player issue first.

It's a coach issue, too, because he has to reduce the problem; but if the player's aren't quick thinkers in a league like MLS then, as some suggest, changing the coach without weeding out the weak players is useless.

We've also played quite a few more games than every other MLS team. Most of those early losses came with just a couple of days rest after playing high pressure, draining CCL games - after that the losses and the problems seemed to snowball. We have also travelled way more than probably any other team, including to Mexico.

Again, not making excuses or endorsing Winter, but there is a context that other MLS teams haven't had to deal with.

Waggy
05-24-2012, 07:05 PM
YES! I love that the "Worst Team In the World" has become a meme. It'd be great for everyone if we all wore it as a badge, players fans and owners alike. Maybe it'd loosen up the sphincters enough to have a good game. I swear, TFC only plays well when everyone fully expects them to lose. Lord help them if someone thinks they can do it though haha.

Thanks for this thread. I railed on the posting in the forum a few days ago, the jokes and smack talk in this thread are exactly why this is the only message board I'm a member of.

I still haven't stopped laughing. I'm on record many times arguing that it'd be better for us to lose this tournament than win it, but that was before 0-9-0 and before 'yesterday. Given the circumstances, that has to be in our top 3 'biggest win ever' discussions. Now make it roll to saturday!

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2012, 07:10 PM
I like that we are having fun with, and owning the "worst team in the world" thing, instead of letting other people get us down with it. That said, I think making scarves with it might be taking things too far.

It's good that we are owning it, but we still need to keep in mind that we should be extremely unhappy about it as fans.

- Scott

Auzzy
05-24-2012, 07:15 PM
But the best in Canada

repeat ad nauseum.

So...when is the scarf coming out? "Worst Team in the World" on one side and "Voyageurs Cup Champions 2012" on the other?

Brilliant song/chant.

Auzzy
05-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Too bad it was offside, but how about that Soolsma goal? I thought it was awesome, so well taken.

Waggy
05-24-2012, 07:19 PM
taking a browse through the Southsiders game thread (seriously, they think THEY are dealing with tough times?! lmao. Their heads are even further up their asses than I thought they were), thought this was an interesting point given both the conversation the past few weeks and that banner that got pulled from 112 or 111 during the anthem

"Nobody was in a tougher situation than TFC. They had players, Canadian players, step up and win the cup. Blaming congestion, the referrees, or anything else other than a lack of passion is ridiculous."

Emphasis mine

Huyton
05-24-2012, 07:45 PM
I like that we are having fun with, and owning the "worst team in the world" thing, instead of letting other people get us down with it. That said, I think making scarves with it might be taking things too far.

It's good that we are owning it, but we still need to keep in mind that we should be extremely unhappy about it as fans.

- Scott

Scott...first off, may I say I have a huge amount of respect for most of the things you say, but in this case, I think you're wrong.

One of the things that TFC originally wanted was for this club to grow organically...to find it's own identity without it being forced by some marketing guru.

In a search for an identity, something that separates us from all the other teams out there in North America, I think it would be great to adopt something that is a little self-deprecating.

It is something that we could certainly have a lot of fun with. From singing "You got beat by the worst team in the World, the worst team in the world, the worst team in the World", to wearing it proudly on T-Shirts, I think that this is exactly what is needed to forge an identity.

I'd love a T-Shirt with Wowzers graphic on it as a commemoration of this moment.

Huyton
05-24-2012, 07:47 PM
that banner that got pulled from 112 or 111 during the anthem

I had to work and wasn't at the game. What was the banner?

Code Red
05-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Anyone know how I can send Davidson a big bottle of Massengill? I don't want his vagina to feel not-so-fresh on top of being bitch slapped and then losing to a winless team yesterday. Let's show some consideration folks.

:smilielol5:POST OF THE DAY!

Speaking of Massengill, perhaps Davidson can star in their next commercial, seems perfect for the part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N91XsdrBqUY

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Scott...first off, may I say I have a huge amount of respect for most of the things you say, but in this case, I think you're wrong.

One of the things that TFC originally wanted was for this club to grow organically...to find it's own identity without it being forced by some marketing guru.

In a search for an identity, something that separates us from all the other teams out there in North America, I think it would be great to adopt something that is a little self-deprecating.

It is something that we could certainly have a lot of fun with. From singing "You got beat by the worst team in the World, the worst team in the world, the worst team in the World", to wearing it proudly on T-Shirts, I think that this is exactly what is needed to forge an identity.

I'd love a T-Shirt with Wowzers graphic on it as a commemoration of this moment.

It may be a moniker that is funny and fun to adopt looking back from the future, but I feel that supporters putting it on scarves and t-shirts right now when we still are 0-9 in the league, is kind of taking the joke full circle and turning it back on ourselves.

We should be upset about being the "worst team in the world" - a statement that was uttered by an utterly dejected Danny Koevermans after our latest loss - not wearing it proudly. It was fun, and funny, after our 0-9 team made Vancouver eat it, en route to winning the Voyageurs Cup again - I just think if we run with it past that, at least at the moment, the joke is on us again.

And again - I get the humour of it, after beating Vancouver. I posted a couple of the meme pictures.

- Scott

tfcleeds
05-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Great post, jloome.

Also, did anyone see that Davidson's ridiculous embellishment of the JDG slap was the lead in to this evenings Sportscentre Top 10 (of the best sports dives)? Whitecaps fans must be embarassed.

- Scott

Certainly one of the better dives I've seen. I think that ranks right up there with Rivaldo in the 2002 World Cup!

tfcleeds
05-24-2012, 08:20 PM
But the best in Canada

repeat ad nauseum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD9O34gR1FU

Would be great to start singing this if we're up by two goals vs. Philly with less than 10 mins. remaining.

Huyton
05-24-2012, 08:23 PM
It may be a moniker that is funny and fun to adopt looking back from the future, but I feel that supporters putting it on scarves and t-shirts right now when we still are 0-9 in the league, is kind of taking the joke full circle and turning it back on ourselves.

We should be upset about being the "worst team in the world" - a statement that was uttered by an utterly dejected Danny Koevermans after our latest loss - not wearing it proudly. It was fun, and funny, after our 0-9 team made Vancouver eat it, en route to winning the Voyageurs Cup again - I just think if we run with it past that, at least at the moment, the joke is on us again.

And again - I get the humour of it, after beating Vancouver. I posted a couple of the meme pictures.

- Scott

Fair enough. Perhaps I'm letting my good feelings over beating Vancouver get the best of me.

If we win on Saturday, though, I'm chanting "You got beat by the worst team in the world" at Philadelphia.

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Fair enough. Perhaps I'm letting my good feelings over beating Vancouver get the best of me.

If we win on Saturday, though, I'm chanting "You got beat by the worst team in the world" at Philadelphia.

As long as we keep winning, I'll keep posting meme pictures about it too. I just think we need to remember the origins of that title, the context in which it was stated, and that this morning we were still 0-9 in the league.

And you could suffer a far worse fate than letting good feelings get the best of you. When it comes to this team , I wish it happened more often. :D

- Scott

tfcfan2011
05-24-2012, 08:42 PM
We could do it to the time of yellow submarine...

You got beat by the worst team in the world
the worst team in the world
the worst team in the world

Of course we'll have to win first...

Code Red
05-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Wowza and Jack, nice work with those custom creations. They're all brilliant but if I had to pick a winner I have to go with the Batman/Joker exchange. Well done!

Also just wanted to add that I was having the worst fucking day yesterday and the game / result changed everything and I haven't been able to stop smiling since.

FortYorkRedcoat, Furtado91, ChrisFizik, Wowza (finally met you in person), Yagbod, Prizby, Estachio, Phil... the whole lot... TFC games wouldn't be the same without you fellas!

Walms
05-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Longest day of work with that hangover, and worth every second

That's was an amazing night
Boys, big upps to Henry for the victory lap

backbeat
05-24-2012, 10:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AneAFDxWTfY&feature=relatedala 10cc

prizby
05-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Wowza and Jack, nice work with those custom creations. They're all brilliant but if I had to pick a winner I have to go with the Batman/Joker exchange. Well done!

Also just wanted to add that I was having the worst fucking day yesterday and the game / result changed everything and I haven't been able to stop smiling since.

FortYorkRedcoat, Furtado91, ChrisFizik, Wowza (finally met you in person), Yagbod, Prizby, Estachio, Phil... the whole lot... TFC games wouldn't be the same without you fellas!

cheers :)...cya Saturday!

Waggy
05-24-2012, 11:51 PM
I had to work and wasn't at the game. What was the banner?

Only got a glanse at it but it looked like it said something about it being close to more canadians on the pitch than off it at tfc games. anyone get a real look or screen shot? It was all black with white lettering IIRC, only shown briefly during O Canada

Lucky Strike
05-25-2012, 06:40 AM

- Scott

It reminds me of the "idiots" that were the 2004 Red Sox that won the World Series.

pdogg
05-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Only got a glanse at it but it looked like it said something about it being close to more canadians on the pitch than off it at tfc games. anyone get a real look or screen shot? It was all black with white lettering IIRC, only shown briefly during O Canada

The one that I saw was white with black lettering:

Number of Canadian players starting in the Canadian Championship
Toronto FC : 4
Vancouver : 0.5

I assumed the 0.5 is Rochat - Born in Canada, played for the Swiss NT (1 app in 2005)

__wowza
05-25-2012, 08:27 AM

it's still weird putting faces to board names.

Huyton
05-25-2012, 09:51 AM

I assumed the 0.5 is Rochat - Born in Canada, played for the Swiss NT (1 app in 2005)

That seems innocuous enough. Why was it taken down?

pdogg
05-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure if that was the one - it was the only one I could see from 110. If there was a black sign with white writing, I missed it.

ryan
05-25-2012, 11:42 AM
we are the champions...my reds!
and we'll keep on fighting..till the end!
we are the champions!
we are the champions!
no time for couver..
cause we are the champions!
of the north!

trane
05-25-2012, 11:44 AM

There is perfect logic in saying the players have showed they are good and therefore it is on the coach. That is fundamental job of the coach to get the most of his players, and 0-9 record clearly indicates that he is not. That is what the logical mind has to conclude. Sure you can come with other explenations, and there are other factors, but the other explanations are less likely. They are more then likely excuses. I have to say that it is something of a Canadian cultural issue, were people simply do not like to point fingers and blame, to the point of silliness. I have heard many offer alternative explanations, which are all possible, but unlikely. Again ultimately the blame lies with the Manager, the man in charge. That is his job. Why defend him endlessly, when the evidence is clear, IF YOU WISH to analyse the issues logically. Listen my spelling and syntax on this board is horrible, and I get emotional about footy, but trust me, I make a good living being very logical and analyzing as does Roogsy, and while we are passionate, and that can get in the way of logic, the empirical evidence strongly supports our position. Again alternate explanations are always possible, but less probable.

I do not disagree that professional players have to shoulder some of the blame. Once again the view of this may be cultural, in terms of assigning the importance of a manager. I grew up in a football culture, in which the style of play is very regimented and tactical, and therefore the importance of the managers seen as fundamental. Therefore, when a team is making similar mistakes on a repeated basis, while the player is the one making the mistake, the mangers is blamed, because it is the "mister" that carrys the responsibility for the team performance. Clearly when one player makes the same mistake over and over again, the player is blamed as well, but ultimately, again the blame would be in the manager for keeping on playing him, or not replacing him. Again in Italy a footy game is viewed like a battle, the manager is the general. The general is ultimately responsible for the performance of its troops. No excuses.

[ In 2006 when we won Lippi was given most of the credit for organizing the players and leading us to the WC, similarly in 2010 ultimately he was blamed for forcing the play of older players, for example Canavarro despite the multiple mistakes. Again it is just cultural. Clearly if a player is in a perfect position to score a winning goal and fucks it up, or a stupid penalty leads to a loss the player is blamed, but for the most part the team performance is blamed on the " Mister"]

Messi's performance in Barca v Argentina is a perfect example of the importance of the manager. Great manger building a team around him, results in one of the best sides ever. Coke head with all kinds of personal issues as a manager, and despite his greatness as a player, and being surrounded by great talent, NADA.

Ben - D.O.W.
05-25-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't want to alarm anyone but I'm dangerously low on memes right now. If I'm going to make it to the weekend and escape work this afternoon I might need someone to dig deep and help me out with this.

Roogsy
05-25-2012, 12:47 PM
There is perfect logic in saying the players have showed they are good and therefore it is on the coach. That is fundamental job of the coach to get the most of his players, and 0-9 record clearly indicates that he is not. That is what the logical mind has to conclude. Sure you can come with other explenations, and there are other factors, but the other explanations are less likely. They are more then likely excuses. I have to say that it is something of a Canadian cultural issue, were people simply do not like to point fingers and blame, to the point of silliness. I have heard many offer alternative explanations, which are all possible, but unlikely. Again ultimately the blame lies with the Manager, the man in charge. That is his job. Why defend him endlessly, when the evidence is clear, IF YOU WISH to analyse the issues logically. Listen my spelling and syntax on this board is horrible, and I get emotional about footy, but trust me, I make a good living being very logical and analyzing as does Roogsy, and while we are passionate, and that can get in the way of logic, the empirical evidence strongly supports our position. Again alternate explanations are always possible, but less probable.

I do not disagree that professional players have to shoulder some of the blame. Once again the view of this may be cultural, in terms of assigning the importance of a manager. I grew up in a football culture, in which the style of play is very regimented and tactical, and therefore the importance of the managers seen as fundamental. Therefore, when a team is making similar mistakes on a repeated basis, while the player is the one making the mistake, the mangers is blamed, because it is the "mister" that carrys the responsibility for the team performance. Clearly when one player makes the same mistake over and over again, the player is blamed as well, but ultimately, again the blame would be in the manager for keeping on playing him, or not replacing him. Again in Italy a footy game is viewed like a battle, the manager is the general. The general is ultimately responsible for the performance of its troops. No excuses.

[ In 2006 when we won Lippi was given most of the credit for organizing the players and leading us to the WC, similarly in 2010 ultimately he was blamed for forcing the play of older players, for example Canavarro despite the multiple mistakes. Again it is just cultural. Clearly if a player is in a perfect position to score a winning goal and fucks it up, or a stupid penalty leads to a loss the player is blamed, but for the most part the team performance is blamed on the " Mister"]

Messi's performance in Barca v Argentina is a perfect example of the importance of the manager. Great manger building a team around him, results in one of the best sides ever. Coke head with all kinds of personal issues as a manager, and despite his greatness as a player, and being surrounded by great talent, NADA.

Agree 100%.

History is rife with stories of teams underperforming under one manager and performing better with another, validating the belief that the coach does make that kind of a difference.

And we don't have to look far. Does anyone think Chelsea would have won the CL if AVB was still managing the squad?

Managers sometimes are the difference and in the case of TFC, I believe it would be the difference between a playoff-bound club and an 0-9 club.

billyfly
05-25-2012, 12:53 PM
It's one thing to know it but another to admit

We're the worst team in the world

But we don't give a shit.

I like it.

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Agree 100%.

History is rife with stories of teams underperforming under one manager and performing better with another, validating the belief that the coach does make that kind of a difference.

And we don't have to look far. Does anyone think Chelsea would have won the CL if AVB was still managing the squad?

Managers sometimes are the difference and in the case of TFC, I believe it would be the difference between a playoff-bound club and an 0-9 club.

While the 2 teams may share underachieving I'd like to point out that the rot and privileged attitude at Chelsea are quite a difference from the squad here in our little town.

__wowza
05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
my last one..

http://i.qkme.me/3pg4pi.jpg

ryan
05-25-2012, 03:03 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20959966.jpg

Waggy
05-25-2012, 05:42 PM

I hope that's what it said! Like I said I only caught a glance, and I've been known to be wrong before

Roogsy
05-25-2012, 07:48 PM
While the 2 teams may share underachieving I'd like to point out that the rot and privileged attitude at Chelsea are quite a difference from the squad here in our little town.

That's irrelevant. We're talking about what managers can get out of their respective players.

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2012, 09:20 PM
That's irrelevant. We're talking about what managers can get out of their respective players.

Bullshit. It's a point marking out the difference in the two squads. If you aren't interested in that part of the comparison, ignore it.

Don't make like this is a thread of two and any other points added are unnecessary. It's condescending.

Roogsy
05-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Bullshit. It's a point marking out the difference in the two squads. If you aren't interested in that part of the comparison, ignore it.

Don't make like this is a thread of two and any other points added are unnecessary. It's condescending.

You can bring up any point you want no one is stopping you and that is not my point. But when you bring up an irrelevant point in reply to a post, it's a strawman argument and pointing it out is not condescending.

The point never was whether the squads are different. The point was that with the same squad two different managers got different results.

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2012, 09:38 PM
You can bring up any point you want no one is stopping you and that is not my point. But when you bring up an irrelevant point in reply to a post, it's a strawman argument and pointing it out is not condescending.

Oh strawman...

Wouldn't that mean me pointing out there's a difference in the "why" the players aren't taking to management in the respective teams determines if the team has a problem with management at all?

They both obviously do have problems with management and that's not why I brought it up.

I think you might be thinking the "reply" function as purely a "rebuttal" function. It's not always the case. I was discussing. Not arguing.

I'm sorry you saw it that way.

Oldtimer
05-25-2012, 09:43 PM
There is perfect logic in saying the players have showed they are good and therefore it is on the coach. That is fundamental job of the coach to get the most of his players, and 0-9 record clearly indicates that he is not. That is what the logical mind has to conclude.

Trane, I'm no fan of Winter, but this kind of logic makes no sense. Unless it was someone else coaching the team when they performed well, and Winter when they performed badly, it is a leap of logic to say that the differing record proves anything about the coach. Was it his secret double who coached when they won?

A better argument is to just focus on the league results, and simply say that a better coach would be able to prevent the sort of mental issues that result in a 0-9 meltdown, because I think that's where his real weakness is.

trane
05-26-2012, 02:19 PM
^ Of course it does. Those sinlge games, in a different competition show the potential of the squad. Clearly they are not playing to their potential, or they would not be 0-9.

Having your player play to their potential every 4 or 5 games, and only in one particullar competiation, is not the sign of a manager that can win on a consisten basis with the team, but of a team that is underachiving and that under the right manager could do better.

A team is bound to win some games at some point, if they have the tallent, these games show that they have the tallent, it is part of the managers jobs to ensure that they are performaing at the maximim of their tallent in most games not only in the occasioanl game. Clearly winter is not doing it.