PDA

View Full Version : TFC is the joke of MLS (humourous thread)

Canary10
02-23-2012, 01:08 PM
I am working on a little project to put together a list of TFC related dubious facts and stats over our first five years that help show why it's been so hard to be a TFC supporter. Things like:

· TFC is the only team in Major League Soccer to go 5 years without making the playoffs (think this is true)
· We have never had a winning season.
· 6 coaches have graced the sideline at BMO Field in just 5 full years of play.
· TFC holds the record for the most players to step foot on the pitch in a single MLS season (39 players in 2011).
· We had Mo Johnston.

This is a start. Would love to get other dubious and funny facts and/or stats about the team that you guys may have. Let's face it, in the absence of any real news from the team, there's not that much else to discuss anyway!

tfcmanu
02-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Formation:Formed in 2006 as Toronto FC when MLS announced they would compete in Major League Soccer in 2007

Ground:BMO Field, Exhibition Place, Toronto. Capacity 21,800. BMO is the 5th stadium to be built on this site over the years. It was built as part of Canada’s (successful) bid to host the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

First Game as TFC:March 24th 2007, Carolina Challenge Cup, Blackbaud Stadium, Charleston, SC. Toronto FC 0-2 Houston Dynamo. Goals: Cochrane, Wondolowski. Attendance: 3183

First Competitive game (MLS):April 7th 2007, MLS, Home Depot Center, Carson City, California. Chivas USA 2-0 Toronto FC. Goals: Razov, Kljestan. Attendance: 14351. Referee: Terry Vaughan

First Competitive game (NCC):May 27th 2008, Canadian Championship, Saputo Stadium, Montreal. Montreal Impact 0-1 Toronto FC. Goal: Marco Velez. Attendance: 12083. Referee: Paul Ward

First Competitive game (CCL):July 29th 2009, Concacaf Champions League Preliminary Rd. BMO Stadium, Toronto. Toronto FC 0-1 Puerto Rico Islanders. Goal: Jagdeosingh. Attendance 20,758. Referee: Hugo Cruz

Courtesy of TFCPics....

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/vs_red.gifWhat stadium did Toronto FC call home when they joined MLS in 2006?
BMO Field. With an expanded capacity of 20,522 (Aug. 5th, 2007), BMO Field was the largest soccer-specific stadium in Canada and home to Toronto FC. Located in Exhibition Place on Toronto's lake shore, the stadium was completed in early 2007.

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/vs_red.gifWho became the first ever head coach of Toronto FC when he signed on in August 2006?
Mo Johnston. Former Scottish, English, and French league star Mo Johnston came to MLS in 1996 where he spent 6 seasons as a member of the Kansas City Wizards before retiring in 2001. After a brief stint as head coach of Red Bull New York in 2006, Johnston was hired as the first ever head coach of Toronto FC.

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/vs_red.gifWho was signed as the first Toronto FC player in the club's history?
Jim Brennan. Canadian international Jim Brennan was signed September 8th 2006, by coach Mo Johnston after being released by Southampton the previous May. Adam Braz was signed shortly after Jim Brennan, Ronnie O'Brien was acquired in a trade with FC Dallas, and Maurice Edu was Toronto FC's first ever draft pick.

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/vs_red.gifWho became Toronto FC's first ever draft pick when he was selected first overall in the 2007 MLS Super Draft?
Maurice Edu. Former University of Maryland All-American star Maurice Edu gave up his final year of NCAA eligibility in 2007 to turn professional and enter the MLS Super Draft.

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/vs_red.gifWho scored the first ever goal for Toronto FC on 12th May 2007 against the Chicago Fire in the 24th minute?
Danny Dichio. After 384 scoreless minutes to start the season, newly acquired striker Danny Dichio notched TFCs first ever goal. Play was subsequently delayed as fans at BMO Field celebrated by throwing Frisbee-like seat cushions on to the pitch.

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/vs_red.gifWho was selected as Toronto's only starting All-Star in the 2007 MLS All-Star Game?
Ronnie O'Brien. After no TFC players were selected by the voting process (33% fans, 33% sports media, 33% league), MLS All-Star team manager Steve Nicol hand-picked O'Brien as one of his coach's selections. Strikers Danny Dichio and Jeff Cunningham as well as Jim Brennan were later added as reserves.

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/vs_red.gifWhat colours were chosen for the Toronto FC crest and home/away kit in the team's inaugural 2007 season?
Red, White and Gray. MLSE chose a classic shield/crest combination for the Toronto FC logo featuring the Red and White of Canada with a contrasting gray.

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/vs_red.gifWhat company became the official jersey sponsor of TFC in 2007, featuring their logo on the chest of the home/away kit?
Bank of Montreal. Bank of Montreal also purchased the naming rights to the National Soccer Stadium built at Exhibition Place in Toronto. However, for the FIFA U20 World Cup held in Canada the summer of 2007, the field was called the National Soccer Stadium due to FIFA regulations.

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/vs_red.gifWhat corporation owned and operated Toronto FC in 2007?
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. MLSE also owned and operated the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, Toronto Marlies, as well as the Air Canada Center and several digital cable channels.

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/vs_red.gifWhich of the following were Toronto FC affiliated supporters clubs in the inaugural season?
They are all TFC supporters clubs. U-Sector was founded in 2000 to support Toronto and Canadian soccer teams, taking their name from Section U of Toronto's old Varsity Stadium. The Red Patch Boys were founded by local soccer fans with the creation of Toronto FC as a group dedicated to supporting the team inside the stadium, around the Toronto area and on the road. The name is derived from a Canadian military unit that became known to axis forces in WWII as "Red Patch Devils". Tribal Rhythm Nation is a club representing the multicultural side of Toronto

Oldtimer
02-23-2012, 01:33 PM
TFC is the only club that had a truck driver and 39 year-old amateur player as an emergency call-up for a game. (Rick Titus. The infamous game against Chivas, September 2008).

TFC holds the longest goal-less drought in MLS history within one season (2007, Mo as coach).

brad
02-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Here is one for you

https://twitter.com/#!/OptaJack/statuses/161868196645838848

402 - Toronto FC touched the ball 402 times in the opposition penalty area in MLS 2011; fewer than any other side. Downfall.

Canary10
02-23-2012, 01:41 PM
^ Ha, those last two are good. Found this one on wiki:

In the 2009 season they only scored 2 goals in the final 15 minutes of games all season (last in MLS). During the same 15 minute period, they gave up 16 goals (most in MLS), thus creating a −14 goal differential during the final 15 minutes.

Must be something related to most games abandoned in one season due to weather.

Waggy
02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
^ Ha, those last two are good. Found this one on wiki:

In the 2009 season they only scored 2 goals in the final 15 minutes of games all season (last in MLS). During the same 15 minute period, they gave up 16 goals (most in MLS), thus creating a −14 goal differential during the final 15 minutes.

Must be something related to most games abandoned in one season due to weather.

If I remember right, we missed the playoffs in 2009 however if games ended at 75 minutes instead of 90 we would have been the 1 seed in the eastern conference. We dropped like 16 or 17 points in the final 15 of games that year

levyashin
02-23-2012, 06:15 PM
danny diccio scored the first and last goal in the season.

Auzzy
02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
ensco recently posted some stat about TFC's record streak of futility, but I can't find it.

Anyway, since ensco makes up stats 47% of the time, I would take it with a grain of salt. :D

JackBauer24
02-23-2012, 06:39 PM
danny diccio scored the first and last goal in the season.

So did Jim Brennan in 2009.

There's actually a wiki article with a lot of our records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC_records

billyfly
02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Man we suck.....

Pigfynn
02-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Hmmmm

Not sure the point of this thread. Looks like something more suited for a thread on the opposition's fan site.

We have a less than adequate past, is that the point?

TOBOR !
02-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Is everyone using a definition for 'Dubious' that I'm unfamiliar with ?

Darlofletch
02-23-2012, 09:00 PM
TFC is the only club that had a truck driver and 39 year-old amateur player as an emergency call-up for a game. (Rick Titus. The infamous game against Chivas, September 2008).

TFC holds the longest goal-less drought in MLS history within one season (2007, Mo as coach).

and the longest ever to start a season (I presume that still stands) from 2007.

To be pedantic it was 38 MLS players in 2011 (still a record, used to be 36). 40 in all competitions but griffit and robinson were only in ccl.

Oldtimer
02-23-2012, 09:10 PM
However, to brighten the mood, RSL has the record for the longest goal-less streak crossing more than one season, and yet after Kreis they won the MLS Cup.@

Waggy
02-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Hmmmm

Not sure the point of this thread. Looks like something more suited for a thread on the opposition's fan site.

"I'm not seeing anything on German history from 1939-1945, there's just a big gap?" "Everyone was on vacation!" "Wait what are you talking about, Germany invaded Poland in 1939." "We were invited! Punch was served. Check with Poland!" "You can't just ignore those years" "I will hear no more insinuations about Toronto FC in the Mo reich! Nothing bad happened! Sie werden sich hinsetzen! Sie werden ruhig sein! Sie werden nicht beleidigen Deutschland!" *

Hey, a records a record. We earned em we should claim our rightful place in the history of this league haha. Besides when we're the MLS equivalent to Ajax in terms of cup wins it'll be a hilarious anecdote

* replace Deutschland with Mo Fantasy Land, Poland with Columbus and Germany 1939-1945 with Toronto FC 2007-2010. Too far? (Edit for people who don't get the reference http://video.canadiancontent.net/43720662-family-guy-german-tour.html)

Pigfynn
02-23-2012, 09:29 PM
It's not about not acknowledging those years...I think we, more then any have acknowledged the shit out of them.

No?

Chevy
02-23-2012, 09:40 PM
It's not about not acknowledging those years...I think we, more then any have acknowledged the shit out of them.

No?

Maybe this is just a bloodletting, a cleansing of the soul prior to our triumphant ascent to world football dominance?

OK, maybe a little ambitious but you get my drift.

Pigfynn
02-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Maybe this is just a bloodletting, a cleansing of the soul prior to our triumphant ascent to world football dominance?

OK, maybe a little ambitious but you get my drift.

Oh god I hope so...:)

billyfly
02-23-2012, 10:00 PM
I have a bad feeling the CCL game will be another.

It's just so Toronto.

Waggy
02-23-2012, 10:15 PM

No?

I'd look at it like. um. ok, say you are in a terrible long term relationship. Eventually you give up and end it, of course you wind up HATING the girl (or guy, whatever). You look back on all the shit she said and did that should have set off alarm bells everywhere and sent you running for the hills, but didn't and you kick yourself. You think back on stuff and get mad, looking for different POV's to see what you could have done or said differently or whatever.

But eventually you meet a new girl, and at first you're looking everywhere for those same warning signs, the first indication that you fucked up again (Hi roogsy!!!). But eventually you relax, forget the last one and focus on the girl you've got. And then when you look back at the time with the first girl its to laugh about how fucking stupid and naive you were. I'd like to think we finally hit that stage and have moved on and seperated from our Mo-xiety. Instead of rehashing our past trying to assign blame or figure out what went wrong or cry into our beers, its just to have a laugh at just how historically shitty we were. Plus if we can laugh about the stuff ourselves how could other teams fans try and make fun of us for it?

Besides, one day we'll be able to say that Toronto FC was setting MLS records right from the start ;)

Waggy
02-23-2012, 10:38 PM
As an aside- it's kind of amazing how many times over the years I've drawn on the horrible relationship example for how we view our relationship with TFC. I really really hope those days are in the past for good.

Hitcho
02-24-2012, 12:00 AM
The "bad" records are what they are. They'll always be there as a reminder of fallow years.

However, I prefer to think of the good times from years past - Dichio's first goal, and the screamer to end the first season; the pitch invasion at the end of 2007; smashing 4 past Dallas; beating Cruz Azul and the jumping post game sing along outside Gate 3 afterwards; the line up for De Rosario's autograph after he was signed. Sure people have others.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread. Have we got the record for longest in-game delay in an MLS league game after the seat cushion throwing? That would be a good "dubious" record to have... :D

EDIT - what about striker with most goalless minutes in a season? Defenders with most goals conceded while on the pitch? We must have some contenders for those "awards"...

Auzzy
02-24-2012, 12:16 AM
^ Longest in-game MLS delay would probably be one of those power outages in the Home Depot Center or elsewhere... Or at least those were longer than the seat-cushion delay, not sure what the max would be.

A.J
02-24-2012, 02:30 AM

I was thinking this too

Lucky Strike
02-24-2012, 08:01 AM
"I'm not seeing anything on German history from 1939-1945, there's just a big gap?" "Everyone was on vacation!" "Wait what are you talking about, Germany invaded Poland in 1939." "We were invited! Punch was served. Check with Poland!" "You can't just ignore those years" "I will hear no more insinuations about Toronto FC in the Mo reich! Nothing bad happened! Sie werden sich hinsetzen! Sie werden ruhig sein! Sie werden nicht beleidigen Deutschland!" *

Hey, a records a record. We earned em we should claim our rightful place in the history of this league haha. Besides when we're the MLS equivalent to Ajax in terms of cup wins it'll be a hilarious anecdote

* replace Deutschland with Mo Fantasy Land, Poland with Columbus and Germany 1939-1945 with Toronto FC 2007-2010. Too far? (Edit for people who don't get the reference http://video.canadiancontent.net/43720662-family-guy-german-tour.html)

So long as Mo doesn't get a talk show, we're fine!

__wowza
02-24-2012, 08:54 AM

du·bi·ous

adj \ˈdü-bē-əs also dyü-\
questionable or suspect (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suspect%5B1%5D) as to true nature or quality

no, most are under the assumption that we're posting true facts about our teams shameful past.

using words when we don't know what they mean fail :facepalm:.

Beach_Red
02-24-2012, 09:20 AM
I have a bad feeling the CCL game will be another.

It's just so Toronto.

Ah, you've just to turn off the Leafs games.

TFC is not going into this game unprepared.

Canary10
02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Hmmmm

I'm writing something on how hard it's been to be a TFC fan these 5 years. It actually turned out to be fun and interesting to find these "records." It'll be that much sweeter for all of us who have stuck around behind this team.

Dubious also means "questionable" by the way. And a record is a list of achievements. So a "list of questionable achievements" might be another way to put it. If we need to parse language. Now I see I wrote "facts" instead of "records" so I see where people are getting confused. Dubious facts could be fun too though. I still firmly believe Mo Johnston picked up Maicon Santos because he thought he was Maicon.

Btw, it was inspired by a similar thing someone did for Man City. Now THAT's a list! Just some of the good ones:

In 1957-58, Manchester City scored 104 goals and conceded 100 in Division 1, the only occasion that a club has both scored and conceded 100 goals in a league season.
Denis Law had scored all 6 of City's goals against Luton Town in a 4th Round FA Cup tie at Kenilworth Road on 28th January 1961 when the match was abandoned at 6-2. He also scored in the replay but City lost 3-1.
In 1925-26 they were relegated having scored more goals (89) than any other relegated club in history.

Stuff like that.

Technorgasm
02-24-2012, 09:54 AM
I would like to see the stats on how many goals we have scored from a corner.

my guess is either 1, or possibly up to 2.

seriously hate the way we take corners.

Oldtimer
02-24-2012, 10:03 AM
So long as Mo doesn't get a talk show, we're fine!

He already had one but lost it along with his "Director of Soccer" position. :rolleyes:

Pinkie
02-24-2012, 10:16 AM

i hate how many short corners we take...and FAAAAIIILLL every.singe.time.

Brooker
02-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Please make sure you're sitting down when you watch this... I shit you not.

v_uL617dwqs

Red Rat
02-24-2012, 10:45 AM
du·bi·ous

adj \ˈdü-bē-əs also dyü-\
questionable or suspect (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suspect%5B1%5D) as to true nature or quality

no, most are under the assumption that we're posting true facts about our teams shameful past.

using words when we don't know what they mean fail :facepalm:.

hahaha well i don't understand this thread so I will add my own.

TFC has 400 pairs of season seats available and yet they confirm to have a waiting list!!! of people to go to the washroom..... or to buy season tickets to seats that they will be able to buy anyway

or I got it

"is all apples to oranges"

there is one.

Technorgasm
02-24-2012, 11:05 AM
i hate how many short corners we take...and FAAAAIIILLL every.singe.time.

They must practise them, and with some of the 'zonal' marking that we have seen from opposition at BMO, . . if we could see even a marginal improvement in this area. . . we might score more.

score in every home game, thats all I expect from my season ticket.
no mo
no lesss

(mo johnson)

Please make sure you're sitting down when you watch this... I shit you not.

holy. . freakin. . . shit Brooker, firstly. Robert?
second. amazing goal.
third. . holy freakin shit. . .

__wowza
02-24-2012, 11:47 AM
hahaha well i don't understand this thread so I will add my own.

TFC has 400 pairs of season seats available and yet they confirm to have a waiting list!!! of people to go to the washroom..... or to buy season tickets to seats that they will be able to buy anyway.

i dont see most of these as questionable, canary's entire first post is full of true stuff (i don't mean to mince words, but i think it's caused some confusion).

red rat is right, dubious would be the supposed "waiting list" that's justified the "supply and demand" we've heard so much about. pretty much anything that came out of tommy's mouth could be listed as such.

Canary10
02-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Totally agree with the corners thing. I can't think of a single goal we've scored off a corner. I wish I could figure out how many we've scored. Caicedo apparently is very good in the air. If he could put a few in this year it would make quite a difference.

Canary10
02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
i dont see most of these as questionable, canary's entire first post is full of true stuff (i don't mean to mince words, but i think it's caused some confusion).

red rat is right, dubious would be the supposed "waiting list" that's justified the "supply and demand" we've heard so much about. pretty much anything that came out of tommy's mouth could be listed as such.

I should have titled the post "dubious records." ie. records you don't want to have as a team. Sorry for the confusion.

Roogsy
02-24-2012, 12:02 PM
I have pointed to these facts a while back but seems fitting in this thread.

Toronto FC owns the record for longest period of time a team has gone without making the playoffs (5 seasons).

Toronto now owns the 2nd worst all-time accumulated goal-differential in league history with a -73. Only New England is worse with a -81. The next worse is Colorado with a -69.

Roogsy
02-24-2012, 12:24 PM
So did Jim Brennan in 2009.

There's actually a wiki article with a lot of our records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC_records

This is a great stat found in that mess. Those were fun times.

Toronto is believed to have brought the largest contingent of travelling fans in an MLS regular-season match - approx. 2300 (v. Columbus Crew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Crew), March 29, 2008)[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC_records#cite_note-0)

Canary10
02-24-2012, 02:27 PM
^ The fact that we still have a big and rabid fan base after the past five years is pretty amazing.

Another record I would add is our worst away loss came in our most important game in club history (the 5-0 NYRB loss).

Which partly why the 3-0 win against Dallas was so huge (even if Dallas had a poor final third of the season). For once we showed up to an important game prepared, with a good game plan and not only did we win but we ran all over them.

TorontoGooner
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Cows can walk upstairs but not down them.

Oh, sorry, misread the title

Roogsy
02-24-2012, 02:55 PM
What about the goal the Columbus keeper scored on us? That has to be mentioned somewhere as noteworthy?

Brooker
02-24-2012, 03:31 PM
It never has to be mentioned. Ever.

Canary10
02-24-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't remember that at all. Probably for the better.

spark
02-24-2012, 05:24 PM

Whenever a Sam Cronin discussion ever comes up I like to throw in how he set up one of our few ever goals off a corner kick. Chad Barrett on the end of it! Against NE if I remember correctly.

Fishnicker
02-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Celebrity lookalikes:

Dan Gargan - Kevin Durand
Kevin Harmse - Seth Rogen
Plata - Candy Maldonado
Adam Braz - Geico Caveman
Mista - Sean Penn
Amadou Sanyang - D.L. Hughley
Raivis Hscanovics - Beeker

Lucky Strike
05-22-2012, 10:57 AM
The tone of this is not intended to be angry or anything, more astonished really. It occurred to me when I was reading the NCC final pre-game thread that a dead-last, 0-9 team, could enter the Champions League and found it hilariously absurd. Got me to thinking that TFC really is the joke of the league, isn't it?

All the most embarassing/humiliating things that can happen to a club have happened to us, to TFC. Here's my list, what else can you remember?

- Longest streak being shutout in 2007.
- 2500 fans going to Columbus to witness a loss in the 2008 opener.
- Losing the 2008 NCC to a lower level team, at home.
- Having the coach (Carver) used in a league DVD on how not to behave.
- Beaten in the CCL preliminary round by Puerto Rico, a lower level team.
- The 5-0 loss at the end of 2009.
- We force a club legend (Dichio) to retire to sign DeGuzman, who held out for another offer (anything else at all) before finally settling for TFC.
- Columbus GK Hesmer scoring on us (2010).
- Employing players who would later go on to be arrested and charged with petty offences (ex: Martin Saric)
- DeRo and his "trial" at Celtic.
- Longest losing streak to open a season, ever.
- Never making the playoffs in 6 years of existence (face it, we're not making the playoffs this year). In 2007, 8/13 teams made the playoffs, the league even added 2 playoffs slots last year and we still didn't make it.
- A truckload of players who underperformed at TFC, only to go on to playing very well after leaving.
- Former players having negative things to say about the club after leaving (there are too many to discount as merely being "disgruntled" or stirring the pot).
- Former players like DeRo scoring against us and haunting us. Even Dan-freaking-Gargan scored against us on his first time against TFC after leaving.
- Having more coaches than years of club existence (6 to 5.5)
- Unable to beat our "rival" Columbus for nearly 5 five years.
- Countless last minute goals against.

Roogsy
05-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Here's one:

We are on track to becoming the first team ever in MLS to have a negative All-time Goal Differential in TRIPLE DIGITS. (We currently sit at -87.)

tfcleeds
05-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Sometimes, all you can do is just laugh. It's better than always being depressed/angry over the situation. Only a Toronto team, specifically one run by MLSE, could be this inept. You almost couldn't make this stuff up.

Richard
05-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Somone should keep track of all the records TFC broke.or.let teams have, there are so many dubious records its hard to keep track.

Klinsmann
05-22-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm sure we hold the record for the most goals conceded in the last 15 mins and extra time too

Auzzy
05-22-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm absolutely certain we've broken the record for the most records broken.

But now I'm sounding like a broken record.

Roogsy
05-22-2012, 11:58 AM
- We force a club legend (Dichio) to retire to sign DeGuzman, who held out for another offer (anything else at all) before finally settling for TFC.
- Never making the playoffs in 6 years of existence (face it, we're not making the playoffs this year). In 2007, 8/13 teams made the playoffs, the league even added 2 playoffs slots last year and we still didn't make it.
- Former players like DeRo scoring against us and haunting us. Even Dan-freaking-Gargan scored against us on his first time against TFC after leaving.

There are a couple of wicked ones in here, but these stand out to me.

Does anyone know how many ex-players have come back to burn us?

Whoop
05-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Remember Carl Robinson when he scored against TFC?

Roogsy
05-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Remember Carl Robinson when he scored against TFC?

Damn....Robbo...I miss that guy.

You know...there's gotta be a certain element of Karma that's in play here. We've screwed over so many players in our short history that we're getting the full-force of payback for our management's doucbebaggery.

Oldtimer
05-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Some more stats:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?30900-Dubious-TFC-facts-and-stats/page2&highlight=dubious+records

Roogsy
05-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Probably would be a good candidate to merge the two threads.

[NBF]
05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
The tone of this is not intended to be angry or anything, more astonished really. It occurred to me when I was reading the NCC final pre-game thread that a dead-last, 0-9 team, could enter the Champions League and found it hilariously absurd. Got me to thinking that TFC really is the joke of the league, isn't it?

All the most embarassing/humiliating things that can happen to a club have happened to us, to TFC. Here's my list, what else can you remember?

- 2500 fans going to Columbus to witness a loss in the 2008 opener.
- Losing the 2008 NCC to a lower level team, at home.
- Having the coach (Carver) used in a league DVD on how not to behave.
- Beaten in the CCL preliminary round by Puerto Rico, a lower level team.
- Employing players who would later go on to be arrested and charged with petty offences (ex: Martin Saric)
- DeRo and his "trial" at Celtic.
- A truckload of players who underperformed at TFC, only to go on to playing very well after leaving.
- Former players having negative things to say about the club after leaving (there are too many to discount as merely being "disgruntled" or stirring the pot).
- Unable to beat our "rival" Columbus for nearly 5 five years.
- Countless last minute goals against.

First team in MLS with 3 DP's to never make the MLS All-Star Game. A popularity contest. So they must not be very special.

Oldtimer
05-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Probably would be a good candidate to merge the two threads.

...and done!

bigredone
05-22-2012, 12:29 PM
I hear they want to give us a winning chance and have scheduled Toronto FC vs. San Marino Calcio. Would we, could we win?

Lucky Strike
05-22-2012, 01:06 PM
I don't typically like to quote myself but I just realized that...

In 2007, 8/13 teams made the playoffs, the league even added 2 playoffs slots last year and we still didn't make it.

In 2007, TFC was the thirteenth team. Maybe that explains that! :facepalm:

__wowza
05-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Sometimes, all you can do is just laugh. It's better than always being depressed/angry over the situation. Only a Toronto team, specifically one run by MLSE, could be this inept. You almost couldn't make this stuff up.

hmmm, sounds like a list we should be reading during the supporters town hall (if they're ballsy enough to have one).

james
05-22-2012, 07:31 PM
TFC is the only team that i know of where thousands of fans in 2007 run on the field in celebration of....wait for it....a draw, and a last place finnish!

was worth it tho!:D

loconet
05-22-2012, 07:55 PM
I hear they want to give us a winning chance and have scheduled Toronto FC vs. San Marino Calcio. Would we, could we win?

That info is outdated, they couldn't work out a deal with them because San Marino Calcio wanted a cut off the revenue from the west side Souvlaki stand at BMO. We're playing PanSa East FC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PanSa_East_FC) instead, they get a box of TFC calendar fridge magnets.

69Chevy396
05-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Look on the bright side. TFC has the dubious distinction of being the team in the mlse organization with the shortest championship losing streak.

Auzzy
05-22-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm absolutely certain we've broken the record for the most records broken.

But now I'm sounding like a broken record.

I have to quote myself here, because I thought this was kinda funny. Now pardon me while I look for a "pat myself on the back" gif...

PS I may have to buy a RPB membership so I can give myself some rep. I wonder if that would be accepted as a reason on the application form...

Fort York Redcoat
05-23-2012, 07:26 AM
I have to quote myself here, because I thought this was kinda funny. Now pardon me while I look for a "pat myself on the back" gif...

PS I may have to buy a RPB membership so I can give myself some rep. I wonder if that would be accepted as a reason on the application form...

That's usually a point against...;) much like quoting yourself but this IS a joke thread so it's all good.:D

james
05-23-2012, 07:51 AM
We must also set a record for highest priced tickets while having the worst ever team!!!!

Another great thing of supporting TFC!!!!!

jabbronies
05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
TFC are so bad, they had to give away free hand cream after the last few home games so that thousands of supporters could go home with a happy ending. ...

bigredone
05-23-2012, 08:17 AM
That info is outdated, they couldn't work out a deal with them because San Marino Calcio wanted a cut off the revenue from the west side Souvlaki stand at BMO. We're playing PanSa East FC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PanSa_East_FC) instead, they get a box of TFC calendar fridge magnets.

"Fast kicking, low scoring.....see all the soccer stars.....this match will determine once and for all which city [nation] is the greatest on earth"

*Tickets starting at $59.00