PDA

View Full Version : Would it be legal if... (Blizzard vs Olympique)

Damien
05-08-2012, 05:27 PM
We did a throwback jersey game where it's:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6b/TorontoBlizzardLogo.png/200px-TorontoBlizzardLogo.pngVs. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/84/MontrealOlympique.png/180px-MontrealOlympique.png

ExiledRed
05-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Why not disband TFC and bring back the Blizzard?

ExiledRed
05-08-2012, 05:52 PM
that was kind of an in-joke by the way.

no flames please.

brad
05-08-2012, 05:53 PM

I see what you did there:smile:

Damien
05-08-2012, 06:00 PM

Are you saying... BBTB?

SoccMan
05-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Guys when Montreal had a team in the old NASL yes their first team they entered in the NASL was called the Olympique we are talking around 1973-74,however, Toronto's team back then when Montreal had the Olympique was the Toronto Metros, the Blizzard came to be in and around 1978-79 and by then Montreal's team was called the Manic. Therefore, if we were to have a throw back game with Montreal if they were to wear their Olympique jerseys then we would have to play in the Toronto Metros jersey.

Blizzard
05-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Guys when Montreal had a team in the old NASL yes their first team they entered in the NASL was called the Olympique we are talking around 1973-74,however, Toronto's team back then when Montreal had the Olympique was the Toronto Metros, the Blizzard came to be in and around 1978-79 and by then Montreal's team was called the Manic. Therefore, if we were to have a throw back game with Montreal if they were to wear their Olympique jerseys then we would have to play in the Toronto Metros jersey.

Precisely. The Blizzard would never have faced the Olympique. The Blizzard came into being in 1979.

It would have to be Metros v Olympique or Blizzard v Manic.

Code Red
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
I don't see how it could be illegal. As long as both clubs consent to it and MLS approves it, then why the heck not? I'd be up for it.

TFCRegina
05-08-2012, 11:00 PM
At this point, I don't want any marketing gimmicks. Give me wins.

Whoop
05-08-2012, 11:00 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/MontrealManic81.png

kodiakTFC
05-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Not many in Toronto know who the Blizzard were, nevermind saw a game. There is minimal nostalgia for this and it isn't necessary. For the record, Blizzard attendance was just a bit over half of TFCs attendance SOME years.

ensco
05-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Not many in Toronto know who the Blizzard were, nevermind saw a game. There is minimal nostalgia for this and it isn't necessary. For the record, Blizzard attendance was just a bit over half of TFCs attendance SOME years.

You could just as easily have said: Not many in Toronto know who TFC are, never mind saw a game.

The question is, do TFC supporters have nostalgia for the Blizzard. The answer is unequivocally yes, if you are old enough.

Anybody who was around for the Blizzard could tell you: in the "Toronto sports scene", ... the Blizzard were a bigger deal, and TFC is a less big deal, than most everyone here thinks.

Fort York Redcoat
05-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Further History Lesson Request:

(Please correct if untrue)

Blizzard played the Manic

Metros played Olypique

Metros became Metros-Croatia in the CSL

greatwhitenorf
05-09-2012, 07:25 AM
There were some really lovely Sunday afternoons - and Wednesday evenings - at Varsity Stadium watching NASL soccer. It wasn't unusual to see crowds in the 15-18,000 range and the place had a nice, casual tone to proceedings. Lot's of fans were familiar faces and knew one another from other soccer endeavours. Don't recall the need to enclose the pitch with the sort of menacing thugs we see glaring into the stands at BMO. Announcements were delivered in the dulcet tones of a young Alf de Blasis, unlike today's blaring bombast from over-amped speakers and The Mighty Voice of Signifigance.

When they played at CNE, the Blizzard often had crowds in the mid-20,000s and I recall someone saying they drew 52,000 in the early '80s for a friendly with Juventus. I have fewer recollections of that place, other than the pitch was rock hard and the ball would take huge hops on clearances.

I rather not have TFC intrude on those memories, thank you.

__wowza
05-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Further History Lesson Request:

(Please correct if untrue)

Blizzard played the Manic

Metros played Olypique

Metros became Metros-Croatia in the CSL

http://cdn2.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/the-more-you-know.jpeg

Just One Man
05-09-2012, 08:11 AM
I think it would be illegal. But Aron Winter is hard as fuck as would send the boys out in them anyway. Just make sure we don't have any snitches at the stadium.

Villa TFC
05-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Ahhh, reminiscences of the Blizzard. I attended the first match in 1979, the first play-off match (in 1980?) and was a season ticket holder from 1983 until the team ran out of leagues and stadiums (Exhibition Stadium, Varsity Stadium and Etobicoke Centennial). Many of the memories above are correct. At Exhibition Stadium there were crowds of 30k+ for Cosmos and Whitecaps and yes, a complete sell out when Juve complete with Platini, Rossi etc, played in 1983. Season Ticket holders had access to the Time Out Lounge at Exhibition Stadium where we could mix and mingle with the players - sometimes including the away team - after the matches. When the team left cavernous Exhibition Stadium and it's awful artificial turf and moved to glorious Varsity with its views of the city skylines and its access to the subway, a chunk of the supporters never made the move, strangely enough. However, an afternoon or evening at Varsity really was wonderful and the Blizzard made the Soccer Bowl (the championship final) each of the last two seasons that the NASL existed although sadly never won it. The Blizzard had a very solid defence, a strong midfield and a fast attack and in Bobby Houghton, arguably the best football manager this city has seen.

I would love to see TFC ine-up in Blizzard shirts for a match and get some of the former Blizzard players out for a half-time tribute as well. It would be wrong to say that if the Blizzard hadn't existed we wouldn't have TFC today, but certainly it did a lot to make soccer mainstream in a city where prior to their arrival professional (or semi-pro) soccer was largely restricted to ethnic communities and therefore completely ignored by the media and anyone outside those communities.

billyfly
05-09-2012, 09:18 AM
We've talked about this before.

Technorgasm
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
I saw the Blizzard at Ex Stadium.
I won tickets from my Toronto Star Paper route.
Takes me back.
those metal benches were horrible on your ass. . .