PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,May 04.

denime
05-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)Winter re-negging on exciting football (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/03/winter-back-tracking-on-promise-of-exciting-football)

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)Molinaro: Strong Canadian content (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/05/03/molinaro_tfc_impact_whitecaps_mls/)

Brunt: Canada at a crossroad (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/05/02/stephen_brunt_canadian_soccer_elections/)

'We don't do a good enough job' (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/#)

Meet the CSA presidential candidates (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/#)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

scooter
05-04-2012, 07:03 AM
mornin d

Fort York Redcoat
05-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Today at midnight is the cutoff for Canada tix in 112!!! Get on it people!!!

Link below

Stouffville_RPB
05-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Morning D!

Happy Star Wars Day!

Get your Canada tickets!!!

zamperina
05-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Montreal just keeps getting better while we keep getting worse.

Bologna striker Di Vaio headed to Impacthttp://redpatchboys.ca/soccer/2012/05/03/di_vaio_marco640_640.jpg Di Vaio, who leads Bologna with 10 goals, would give Montreal a third Italian player after forward Bernardo Corradi and defender Matteo Ferrari. (Photo: AP/Studio FN)

May 3, 2012, 5:48 pm

THE CANADIAN PRESS
Bologna striker Marco Di Vaio, reported to be headed to the Montreal Impact, has called a news conference to announce his plans for the future.
An item on the Italian Serie-A club's website on Thursday said Di Vaio will meet the media on Friday morning.
The France Football website reported the 35-year-old is headed to Montreal as the Major League Soccer expansion team's first designated player, and that there will be no transfer fee because he is under contract to Bologna through 2013.
Di Vaio, who leads Bologna with 10 goals, would give Montreal a third Italian player after forward Bernardo Corradi and defender Matteo Ferrari. Di Vaio and Ferrari played together at Parma in the early 2000s.
Impact technical director Nick De Santis said this week the club is interested in Di Vaio but dismissed the reports as rumours.
Di Vaio is a popular player in Bologna, where he scored 24 goals in the 2008-09 season, and has said he hopes to finish his career there.

jabbronies
05-04-2012, 08:35 AM
I never realised Eckersley was becoming unpopular with the fans. Seems more like a journalist trying to cause drama where there isn't any.

mdc 77
05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
You think Di Vaio is a good signing? I don't see a big impact, he is 36 and obviously on the downside of his career. Also I'm guessing since he is still under contract hes only here for the rest of this year.

zamperina
05-04-2012, 08:52 AM
You think Di Vaio is a good signing? I don't see a big impact, he is 36 and obviously on the downside of his career. Also I'm guessing since he is still under contract hes only here for the rest of this year.

Nope. Contract with Bologna over and finishing his career with Montreal. Name me someone on this roster who could score 10 Goals in Serie A...

mdc 77
05-04-2012, 08:59 AM
The article you posted states that he is under contract through 2013 and that he intends to return to Bologna to finish his career there. I think these signing are hit and miss, depends on motivation etc. etc.

trane
05-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Bologna striker Di Vaio headed to Impact

http://redpatchboys.ca/soccer/2012/05/03/di_vaio_marco640_640.jpg Di Vaio, who leads Bologna with 10 goals, would give Montreal a third Italian player after forward Bernardo Corradi and defender Matteo Ferrari. (Photo: AP/Studio FN)

THE CANADIAN PRESS
Bologna striker Marco Di Vaio, reported to be headed to the Montreal Impact, has called a news conference to announce his plans for the future.
An item on the Italian Serie-A club's website on Thursday said Di Vaio will meet the media on Friday morning.
The France Football website reported the 35-year-old is headed to Montreal as the Major League Soccer expansion team's first designated player, and that there will be no transfer fee because he is under contract to Bologna through 2013.
Di Vaio, who leads Bologna with 10 goals, would give Montreal a third Italian player after forward Bernardo Corradi and defender Matteo Ferrari. Di Vaio and Ferrari played together at Parma in the early 2000s.
Impact technical director Nick De Santis said this week the club is interested in Di Vaio but dismissed the reports as rumours.
Di Vaio is a popular player in Bologna, where he scored 24 goals in the 2008-09 season, and has said he hopes to finish his career there.

Hahahahahha. Our front office is so shit. Di Vaio, despite his age is still in form. He will be a good striker in the MLS.

trane
05-04-2012, 09:08 AM
^ Him and Corradi will be a good pair upfront. Then they have nymissi (11) as a good speedy attacking mid/wide forward. They will be a competitive team in the league in the second half of the season.

zamperina
05-04-2012, 09:09 AM
New Article states he's done a t Bologna...

Di Vaio confirms Bologna exit
By Football Italia staff
http://www.football-italia.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/main_photo/[type]/[nid]/divaio-closeup490_12.jpg

Montreal Impact bound Marco Di Vaio has confirmed that he will be leaving Bologna at the end of the season.
“The final two games of the campaign will be my last ones in the Bologna shirt,” he said on Friday afternoon.
“I don’t want to feel like a weight to the club and the fans. I’ve had four great years here in this city and in this shirt.
“However, I’ve received a really interesting proposal from Montreal.”
The 35-year-old has been linked with a move to Canada over the past few days (http://www.football-italia.net/18348/montreal-impact-line-di-vaio). Impact also have Italian players Matteo Ferrari and Bernardo Corradi in their ranks.
The Italian international joined the Stadio Dall’Ara outfit in 208 after a spell at Genoa. In 141 League games for the club so far, he’s netted 65 goals.

reggie
05-04-2012, 09:15 AM
he sure is better then that pantload we got.we have got 1 striker on our roster,and 6 average CBs...what a fffing joke.

Redcoe15

Bologna striker Di Vaio headed to Impact

http://redpatchboys.ca/soccer/2012/05/03/di_vaio_marco640_640.jpg Di Vaio, who leads Bologna with 10 goals, would give Montreal a third Italian player after forward Bernardo Corradi and defender Matteo Ferrari. (Photo: AP/Studio FN)

THE CANADIAN PRESS

My worst nightmare would be for Toronto to miss the playoffs for the sixth consecutive season while Montreal and Vancouver square off in the MLS Cup final. :facepalm:

trane
http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Squadre/Bologna/04-05-2012/di-vaio-addio-italia-lascia-bologna-il-canada-911123477613.shtml

It sounds like it is done. I have to tell you as an Italian it is getting hard not to be sympathetic to Montreal. The play Italian football with Italian players, and they seem to have their shit together. Here in a city with over half a million Italians, the situation is quite different, in every way.

tfcleeds
05-04-2012, 09:24 AM
He should tear this lea....uggghhh, never mind.

trane
05-04-2012, 09:29 AM
^ Nah, but he is still a very good striker. and despite the age is mobile, and physical, he will do well. The team is already solid, with him paired up with Corradi who has become more of a play maker then finisher, and Nyassi with speed, they will get things done.

rocker
05-04-2012, 09:30 AM
and now for something completely different... from the "where are they now file".... former TFC draft pick Demetrius Omphroy is in the newly released Justin Bieber video for Boyfriend. lol.

I guess this is better than being arrested in Florida.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/omphroy1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/omphroy2.jpg

Beach_Red
05-04-2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Squadre/Bologna/04-05-2012/di-vaio-addio-italia-lascia-bologna-il-canada-911123477613.shtml

It sounds like it is done. I have to tell you as an Italian it is getting hard not to be sympathetic to Montreal. The play Italian football with Italian players, and they seem to have their shit together. Here in a city with over half a million Italians, the situation is quite different, in every way.

It's as frustrating as it is suprising. Doesn't seem that long ago we were all making fun of Joey Saputo.

tfcleeds
05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
What I would have given to have had someone like a Joey Saputo running things here from the very beginning...:(

zamperina
05-04-2012, 09:55 AM
What I would have given to have had someone like a Joey Saputo running things here from the very beginning...:(

Fcukin Gold!

Yohan
05-04-2012, 09:58 AM
I dont get it. Were we not also happy with koevermans and frings last yr? Whats there to be so jealous about mtl?

trane
05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
It's as frustrating as it is suprising. Doesn't seem that long ago we were all making fun of Joey Saputo.

Not me, I was expecting them to run things well. Saputo is a leading Italian-Canadian business family with a great love for calcio, and who had done a good job running the Impact prior to joining the MLS. I new that they actually cared. Saputo is not making his billions from the franchise but from cheese, and while clearly they do not wish to lose money, their primary interest is to win, and to develop the brand through winning.

trane
05-04-2012, 10:02 AM
I dont get it. Were we not also happy with koevermans and frings last yr? Whats there to be so jealous about mtl?

Sure. But this is year one for them, and their team is organized, and have a better CB then we have ever had, are better organized then us on the filed, and seem to be making another intelligent DP signing right of the bat. Again this is year one for them, not year six.

ManUtd4ever
05-04-2012, 10:12 AM

Agreed. The difference is that when Montreal was awarded a MLS franchise, they already had an experienced ownership group in place with a tremendous sense of how to build a competitive club and appease the demographic market in that city.

Gazza
05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
We should get Frank D'Angelo to buy TFC.

rocker
05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Sure. But this is year one for them, and their team is organized, and have a better CB then we have ever had, are better organized then us on the filed, and seem to be making another intelligent DP signing right of the bat. Again this is year one for them, not year six.

"seem" is the key word. Let's wait until the dude is actually playing for Montreal and actually scoring goals before we start kissing the ass of the enemy.

Gazza
05-04-2012, 10:18 AM

mdc 77
05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
funny stuff I must say...its easy to be jealous of anyone else in the league when TFC is 0-7. Montreal most likely won't make the playoffs, they look like an OK side for a first year MLS club but do anyone of these moves that they have made lead you to believe that the Impact's future is a bright one? These are aging european players who may have a few good games, but its not building anything for the future.

trane
05-04-2012, 10:26 AM
"seem" is the key word. Let's wait until the dude is actually playing for Montreal and actually scoring goals before we start kissing the ass of the enemy.

I said "seem" because it is not a 100 % that he is signed, but it looks like it pretty well done. I have seen Di Vaio play, and it is a good signing. Will he score goals or not for them? Only time will tell, but he is the kind of player that has skills and while getting on, is still a viable player, and a good player to bring over. So for me it is a good signing based on the information available now. I can not see in the future, and his success depends on many factors, including team play around him and his health/fintess going forward.

To me Montreal is not the enemy, they are a rival, but not the enemy, I have not hate for Montreal, as I have not deep interest in hockey and the leafs. They are Canadian, and they are owned by Italo-Canadians and play an Italian style, if they were in this city I would support them over TFC. But my loyalty is to this city first, hence I am stuck with MLSE.

trane
05-04-2012, 10:29 AM
funny stuff I must say...its easy to be jealous of anyone else in the league when TFC is 0-7. Montreal most likely won't make the playoffs, they look like an OK side for a first year MLS club but do anyone of these moves that they have made lead you to believe that the Impact's future is a bright one? These are aging european players who may have a few good games, but its not building anything for the future.

If you are talking about the academy Montreal already has a Academy type team, in the CSL.

Blizzard
05-04-2012, 10:30 AM

Well ya, if you want that douche and Ben Johnson lining up as our strikers.:puke:

Beach_Red
05-04-2012, 10:31 AM

They're giving the team a personality, giving it some attitude.

And Trane, Saputo is more than cheese, they own Vachon, the May West, a Montreal tradition. But I thought the soccer team was just something they gave Joey to keep him away from the real business... ;)

zamperina
05-04-2012, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=mdc 77;1484236]funny stuff I must say...its easy to be jealous of anyone else in the league when TFC is 0-7. Montreal most likely won't make the playoffs, they look like an OK side for a first year MLS club but do anyone of these moves that they have made lead you to believe that the Impact's future is a bright one? These are aging european players who may have a few good games, but its not building anything for the future.[/QUOTE

Aging DP's aren't a bad thing re:Blanco,Beckham,Schelotto as they can put you over the top.

mdc 77
05-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm not comparing Montreal with TFC nor talking about their academy program...I'm just skeptical of the moves they have made, if I didn't know where they stood in the table reading some of the comments here I'd have thought they were a top 5 team. Impact have given up something like 15 goals in their 9 matches to date, thats horrible.

trane
05-04-2012, 11:11 AM
^ They have won, and scored early in year one. Again we are in year 6.

zamperina
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Montreal = Building

TFC = Re-Building

Roogsy
05-04-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm not comparing Montreal with TFC nor talking about their academy program...I'm just skeptical of the moves they have made, if I didn't know where they stood in the table reading some of the comments here I'd have thought they were a top 5 team. Impact have given up something like 15 goals in their 9 matches to date, thats horrible.

And yet TFC fans ate up numbers worse than that last year and chalked it up to "rebuilding".

We have WORSE numbers this year and you still see plenty of defense for management around here.

With Montreal you have to realize it's not all about long term. I feel like people get tunnel-visioned about the "long-term". Well guess, what, short term matters too. And obviously Montreal is trying to address both.

trane
05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
^ TFC=Re-Re-Re-Building and about to Re-re-re-re-build.

trane
05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
I have to say this their CB completed 95 passes in one game, our CB are lucky to complete that in one year. ( The other over 60+)

Beach_Red
05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
^ They have won, and scored early in year one. Again we are in year 6.

And they didn't have to hire a consultant to tell them what their culture should be. I don't want to make comparisons, either, and I was really hoping that Montreal would flop in MLS, but they've made some good moves.

mdc 77
05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Again I am not comparing TFC to Montreal. I know we are terrible and worse then the Impact.

OK so lets forget about long-term, short-term then...they still aren't a good team and are a longshot to make the playoffs. Their CB made 95 passes in one game, they also have the worse goals against in MLS.

rocker
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
And TFC had more points after 9 games in 2007 than Montreal has after 9 games this season. But apparently Montreal is doing a better job at building a team... hmm... Let's not forget TFC looked good too when Dichio and Ronnie O were playing and healthy that year.

And I was told by TFC fans in preseason last year that Vancouver was going to make the playoffs... but they finished with a worse record than TFC did in 2007 and 2011. And Paul Barber was the very awesomest management hiring in the history of MLS -- why can't TFC sign management like Paul Barber? And he's since departed.

Whenever one of our opponents does something a TFC fan likes, the TFC fan jizzes all over while saying 'Why can't TFC do that?' It happens every time.

Marco DiVaio could turn out to be great, he could turn out to be a bust (if he even gets signed). Who knows. No need to praise Montreal right now for a possible signing that may or may not work out.

If this news (possible signing of 36 year old italian striker) had happened in 2007, people on the boards would be saying things like "geez, an old striker? I thought we're building for the future?" and "Why didn't we get him for the first game rather than mid season? Why was Mo waiting so long?"

Roogsy
05-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Again I am not comparing TFC to Montreal. I know we are terrible and worse then the Impact.

OK so lets forget about long-term, short-term then...they still aren't a good team and are a longshot to make the playoffs. Their CB made 95 passes in one game, they also have the worse goals against in MLS.

How do you figure? We have 16 goals against, they have 15.

Pookie
05-04-2012, 12:02 PM
I like that Molinaro is highlighting the Canadian content of our respective teams. As I have realized, this is perhaps the key variable for our club in its inability to achieve anything.

Before folks go waving the flag, the natural question is why is this so? We do we have more CDNs on our roster, 6 above quota, and play at least 4 of them all the time.... why?

Is it that they are better than other players? Or have we simply not been able to scout talent across North America to have any reasonable competition for these jobs?

The best guess is that we had one scout last year for North America. We had 5 working for the Academy looking at U13-U15 in Ontario.

Other MLS clubs belong to wyscout.com (as do Liverpool, FC Barcelona and hundreds of other clubs in), a network of resources available for identifying players. We don't.

We either think we have the golden ticket with the academy or simply have invested all the eggs in that basket and don't have the resources for much else.

This to me has become the fundamental issue with how this team is run. The allocation of resources to player development AND identification.

mdc 77
05-04-2012, 12:25 PM
How do you figure? We have 16 goals against, they have 15.

Very picky on the board these days aren't we? lol

Sorry second worse goals against in the league, point is they aren't good.

BayernTFC
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Other MLS clubs belong to wyscout.com (as do Liverpool, FC Barcelona and hundreds of other clubs in), a network of resources available for identifying players. We don't.

We either think we have the golden ticket with the academy or simply have invested all the eggs in that basket and don't have the resources for much else.

When TFC entered MLS, the rules were different then they are now. Doneil Henry, Ashtone Morgan, Keith Makubuya, Matt Stinson, Oscar Cordon, Nicolas Lindsay and Quillian Roberts are products of money spent long ago. Julian De Guzman and Adrian Cann were contracts signed by a previous management regime. When was the last time we saw Lindsay or Makubuya on the pitch? The Quillian Roberts signing seemed to me to be an emergency move, no? Doesn't every MLS team need a source for cheap talent? Did I miss something, or does MLS not have a salary cap? Don't all MLS teams have an academy now? Is it possible that a $65,000 Terry Dunfield, who arguably should fall below 2 of our DPs in the depth chart, is the reason for all of TFC's problems?

MLS isn't run like any other football league around the World. It's a single entity system where the league controls contracts and who plays where in certain situations. Did TFC not have problems in the past with identifying players they wanted only to have them "signed" by another team in the league? I'm not disagreeing that TFC management should spend some resources on foreign scouting, but why should TFC invest large amounts of money on foreign scouting if they can't control whether they can sign the talent or whether their efforts are only going to improve the competition?

This to me has become the fundamental issue with how this team is run. The allocation of resources to player development AND identification.
Who identifies which players from where? Who decides what to pay them? Who writes the contracts? The HGPs don't cost TFC much cap space:

Players occupying roster spots 21-30 do not count against the club’s salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Off-Budget Players (maximum of 10 per team).
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

Only one HGP, Ashtone Morgan, has been relied upon heavily this year. There are only two considerable Canadian salaries on TFC right now. Who was responsible for identifying them? Who decided what to pay them? Who wrote up the contracts? Who decided to keep them?

BayernTFC
05-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Nope. Contract with Bologna over and finishing his career with Montreal. Name me someone on this roster who could score 10 Goals in Serie A...
These are interesting comments. Perhaps you can help answer a question for me? Is Di Vaio thought to be specifically looking to play for Montreal only?

Perhaps if TFC was able to identify more players who would say, "I'm only interested in coming to MLS if I can play in Toronto", then changing the focus to foreign scouting would become key. Perhaps success in the CCL could raise the profile of TFC and could convince talent that Toronto is an excellent destination? How many foreign players hear about who won the supporters shield or the MLS Cup? Please don't misconstrue the previous question. It certainly is important to be successful in the league you play in. Who wants to come play for an organization that is disfunctional and perpetually in shambles?

What I find interesting about the Montreal Impact management's approach was the Bernardo Corradi signing. A 3 month term with an option to extend. For their sake, I hope they don't go overboard because of performances over 3 months and tie them selves down by a restrictive contract. It's a good approach from Montreal, and they should be fair to their player, but he is older and the Impact will need continued success on the pitch. Sometimes their is a need to be conservative and cautious.

Pookie
05-04-2012, 02:00 PM
BayernTFC - respectfully, I think you are getting too caught up in specific players and missing the fact that the strategy is evident through their numbers and to whom they are offering contracts.

They expect that the Academy will be funnelling players to the first team. They have put next to nothing into scouting and player identification outside of the soccer rich geographies of Ottawa through London, Ontario. They have not opted to join international scouting networks nor invest in a scouting network like San Jose and other MLS teams have done.

They have adopted a strategy of making resources available for local players. And as a father of a local player, I think that is freakin' awesome. At the same time, if I wanted to support CSL quality, I could buy CSL tickets at a helluva lot less than my TFC tickets cost. TFC, in my view, is not the development system for the national team.

In my view, this Academy focus is linked to a marketing strategy that saw JDG selected because he is Canadian. (quotes back that up). We can say they were signed by previous management but the one that approves the overall budget is still there.

The academy should be a part of an overall investment in player identification and development. I think it is a significant investment but it should not be the only investment.

Until we develop an attitude of "no stone left unturned" when it comes to finding talent anywhere and everywhere, we will be left with sub-par results.

Alonso
05-04-2012, 02:55 PM

EXACTLY! A single rich owner would be head and shoulders a better situation then what our teams have now. Is there no one in Toronto who would be interested in TFC? I'm thinking for such a person the time to buy TFC would be now!

Maybe Balsille still has some cash and would change his attention to soccer instead of hockey.... (I'm a dreamer. I know.)

narduch
05-04-2012, 08:35 PM
And TFC had more points after 9 games in 2007 than Montreal has after 9 games this season. But apparently Montreal is doing a better job at building a team... hmm... Let's not forget TFC looked good too when Dichio and Ronnie O were playing and healthy that year.

At this point in time, 2007 is irrelevant.

Some TFC fans are a little bit jealous of the Impact because they are better than TFC in 2012.

ag futbol
05-04-2012, 10:51 PM

And I was told by TFC fans in preseason last year that Vancouver was going to make the playoffs... but they finished with a worse record than TFC did in 2007 and 2011. And Paul Barber was the very awesomest management hiring in the history of MLS -- why can't TFC sign management like Paul Barber? And he's since departed.

Whenever one of our opponents does something a TFC fan likes, the TFC fan jizzes all over while saying 'Why can't TFC do that?' It happens every time.

Marco DiVaio could turn out to be great, he could turn out to be a bust (if he even gets signed). Who knows. No need to praise Montreal right now for a possible signing that may or may not work out.

If this news (possible signing of 36 year old italian striker) had happened in 2007, people on the boards would be saying things like "geez, an old striker? I thought we're building for the future?" and "Why didn't we get him for the first game rather than mid season? Why was Mo waiting so long?"
This analysis is pretty interesting. It just goes to show one can narrowly look at different time periods and trends to support their argument even though they are largely at odds with the bigger picture which is conveniently ignored.

v00d00daddy
05-05-2012, 07:52 AM
I think the jealousy stems from Montreal having beaten TFC in the league once this year and having severely outplayed TFC in the Canadian Championship.

Now they'll be adding their first DP and we've done what exactly? What new players have we acquired to address issues?

That's why people are jealous of Montreal. They're better than us. It's kinda how it works.

Redcoe15
05-05-2012, 08:11 AM
EXACTLY! A single rich owner would be head and shoulders a better situation then what our teams have now. Is there no one in Toronto who would be interested in TFC? I'm thinking for such a person the time to buy TFC would be now!

Maybe Balsille still has some cash and would change his attention to soccer instead of hockey.... (I'm a dreamer. I know.)

Wern't there wispers a couple of years ago about Eugene Melnyk wanting to buy TFC, and that ML$E told him to get lost? Melnyk as the team's owner would be a massive improvement over the clowns we have now.

Alonso
05-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Wern't there wispers a couple of years ago about Eugene Melnyk wanting to buy TFC, and that ML$E told him to get lost? Melnyk as the team's owner would be a massive improvement over the clowns we have now.

Well according to this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadians_by_net_worth

There are 19 straight up billionaires living in this city and 28 in total in the province. Couldn't one of them spare us from our anguish?

I wish I had a billion dollars.