PDA

View Full Version : MLS Players Union Denounces Superliga

Pachuco
07-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Holy crap, $5300/player if an MLS team wins SuperLiga? Oh yey, let's win SuperLiga so we can go out and buy a bag of hammers. So if LA wins a SuperLiga, Beckham would get what he makes in 5 mins playing in an MLS game.

MLS is misleading its great fans," the statement reads. "What has not been revealed by the league is that its New York office has unilaterally set its own bonus structure for players, who will receive only a small fraction of the $1 million....If an MLS team wins SuperLiga, the players on that team won't split $1 million. Instead, they will receive only 15% of the prize money.

In other words, the MLS players, if their team wins the tournament, would split $150,000. This breaks down to roughly $5,300 per player.

Read the whole article
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=774031

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Um....ok then...let's hope TFC makes it into 5th place then. Those numbers aren't worth risking player's health in an actual match (let alone several gruelling matches) if the players are getting the short-end like that.

Redpunkfiddle
07-12-2008, 05:04 PM
This thing should be deep sixed now that the Concacaf Champions League is up and running.

Which actually raised a question- what do teams get for winning that?

Mojo
07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Glory. Probably a lot more $ too.

Who cares about SuperLiga, Champs League seems like a much bigger deal.

Cashcleaner
07-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Superliga is likely gonna die a quick death once the Champions League starts gaining momentum. It's only in its second year no, so its not like people are going to get attached anyway.

But to the heart of the matter. Players in MLS are getting the shaft, big time. Some of the salaries guys make is sickening. I'm really hoping that they can resolve some of these issues at their next CBA. To be honest, if MLS players went on strike (though I don't think that would happen), I'd support them 100%.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Because they have a CBA that would make any strike illegal.

But yeah...I hope the next CBA sees the players get some much deserved increases, as well as an increased roster size.

BUT....still keeping the league in it's current growth state. The league is JUST getting to a point where it is beginning to make money after years of losing. It wouldn't make sense to unwind years of prudency.

Lucky Strike
07-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I guess Superliga might become something like the UEFA cup in Europe.

TFC07
07-12-2008, 06:29 PM
So rest of the money goes to owner(s) of winning MLS team?

Broadview
07-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Because they have a CBA that would make any strike illegal.

I'm no labour expert or anything, but once the current CBA does expire, does it not make sense that they would be in a legal strike position?

I've always resented all sides in pro sports labour disruptions, but if the MLS players were to ever take action against the draconian measures imposed upon them under their current agreement I'm 99% sure they'd have my support.

I understand that the league wasn't exactly booming when the last CBA was agreed to, but for the life of me I can't figure out how some of the things in there were ever adopted by the players union.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm no labour expert or anything, but once the current CBA does expire, does it not make sense that they would be in a legal strike position?

I've always resented all sides in pro sports labour disruptions, but if the MLS players were to ever take action against the draconian measures imposed upon them under their current agreement I'm 99% sure they'd have my support.

I understand that the league wasn't exactly booming when the last CBA was agreed to, but for the life of me I can't figure out how some of the things in there were ever adopted by the players union.

Yep...but I believe that wouldn't be until 2011...or something like that.

noochie
07-12-2008, 06:43 PM
For the Champions Cup... it was garbage as well and actually worse on the surface than SuperLiga. Now that the format has changed though I think there is a lot more going to the winner.

(c) With respect to the CONCACAF Champions Cup tournament, the
following prize money shall be paid to each team, unless the amount in (a)
or (b) above is greater, in which case the amount in (a) or (b) above shall
be paid:
Team advances to quarter final: $11,000
Team advances to semi-final: $16,500 additional ($27,500 total)
Team advances to final: $22,000 additional ($49,500 total)
Team wins final: $27,500 additional ($77,000 total).

Notwithstanding the above, in the event of CONCACAF Champions Cup
format changes, MLS and the Union shall meet and confer concerning
amendments to the above bonus schedule. In no event shall the potential
prize money decrease as a result of such format changes.

noochie
07-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Actually the current CBA states that anything over 200,000 the players get half... or so. But only up to a maximum of 200K.

if the Team or MLS receives prize money in excess of $200,000, the
Players will receive 50% of the first $200,000 and thirty percent (30%) of
amounts over $200,000, up to a maximum payment to the Players
(collectively) of $200,000.

noochie
07-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Yep...but I believe that wouldn't be until 2011...or something like that.

Jan 2010.

Pachuco
07-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Jan 2010.

You've become a walking MLS encyclopedia :)

noochie
07-12-2008, 06:55 PM
You've become a walking MLS encyclopedia :)

Don't tell that to my boss... he will have questions ;)