PDA

View Full Version : Why does Bill Archer love us so much?

lerxst
04-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Pretty much what the title says. Is it me or does he only get comments whenever he writes about us? He must be going through a real rough patch to put out this gem of a post.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/bill-archer/2012/04/23/pointless-in-toronto/

Enjoy.

ArmenJBX
04-25-2012, 06:17 PM
He's being a dick about it but he's also right.

He also added that stupid twitter rumour again - we need to quash this, quickly.

lerxst
04-25-2012, 06:20 PM
I know he's right about the team's performance. We could file that one under "water is wet" or "fire burns" but he just loves to stick it to us. Sometimes I think he needs a little push back.

tfcleeds
04-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Who cares what this prick thinks? I'd quite forgotten about him until now.

OgtheDim
04-25-2012, 06:37 PM
As I responded to him, co-dependency pangs wrapped in poor logic written with the journalistic standards of Grade 10 gossip is hardly something to worry about.

MartinUtd
04-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Please don't link Archer on here

trane
04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
I do not give a shit about BigSoccer, or the rest of the MLS, other then the Canadian teams.

Brooker
04-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Bill Archer. Holy shit. People are still reading that troll's crap?

ensco
04-25-2012, 07:15 PM
I know all the reasons we're supposed to hate him, and I don't like him, but man, he's got a pretty good pen. That was funny, and he made a lot of good points.

But yeah, he was a total dick to TFC in the early days.

ExiledRed
04-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Bill Archer. Holy shit. People are still reading that troll's crap?

Actually, if i were a Columbus fan Id find it a good read, and cutting too.

We WERE arrogant and after six years I dont think he's the only one glad to see a little humility doled out. Its not like he's calling us all racists or making it a US v Canada thing like in the past.

SoccMan
04-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Look I don't like this guy either,however, I have to agree with most of what he is saying in that article. I too remember people on here making fun of other MLS teams when it came to all the empty seats we would see at the other teams stadiums, well guess what it did not take too long for our high school stadium to start looking empty on game days aswell. The only way to shut this guy up is with results plain and simple!

Fort York Redcoat
04-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Some may have been Arrogant throughout the years. I'd say say most were proud to have a team to watch at this level finally.

But then I don't feel the desire to read his article.

Just One Man
04-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Dammit if he isn't right.

Brooker
04-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Actually, if i were a Columbus fan Id find it a good read, and cutting too.

We WERE arrogant and after six years I dont think he's the only one glad to see a little humility doled out. Its not like he's calling us all racists or making it a US v Canada thing like in the past.

I see what you're saying bu this is more than a little humility. This club is diabolically fucked up. Has anybody here seen anything quite like it?

jloome
04-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Without even reading it I can make one point: even our crappiest turnouts still beat Columbus, where their own daily paper has shown they typically sell fewer than 9,000 seats per game, and then comp THOUSANDS to make the numbers even remotely legitimate. So, you know, whatever. Even at our worst, we still beat their best. Thus his need to remind everyone of his penisosity.
(That's not a word, but I like it.)

ensco
04-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I see what you're saying bu this is more than a little humility. This club is diabolically fucked up. Has anybody here seen anything quite like it?

The Raptors?

Richard
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Dont forget the leafs

ensco
04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
The Leafs are just bad. But TFC and the Raps are cursed.

Flipityflu
04-25-2012, 08:10 PM
well, we can be thankful we aren't Glasgow Rangers.

ExiledRed
04-25-2012, 10:57 PM

I once saw a cow with a window in its side and rubber gloves that let you rummage around in it's stomach. I felt at the time that was likely the most fucked up thing id ever see. At the time.

mowe
04-25-2012, 11:45 PM
The Leafs are just bad. But TFC and the Raps are cursed.

The Raptors made the playoffs in their 5th year in the NBA where the talent disparity is worse than MLS. They have since made the playoffs four more times in their 17 years of existence.

TFC is just a fucked up club with a lethal combination of terrible management and bad luck since day one.

This article is fine, I don't know why people are mad about it (if they are). TFC has been off to a pathetic start and people are allowed to write about it. I don't know what this guy said during the early years of TFC so I can't comment on that.

Redcoe15
04-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Archer's a dickhole who's certainly enjoying his little schadenfreude at our expense right now. And the thing about it is, he's not exactly wrong about TFC as it stands.

But, if there's any consolation, there's this response posted in his blog from someone named bluewolverine:

But, to be fair, Torontonians get to wake up every morning in one of the most beautiful cities in North America, while Bill wakes up in Ohio. Not that their sports teams don’t suck, and all, but I’m just sayin’.

:thumbsup:

Fort York Redcoat
04-26-2012, 06:25 AM
I once saw a cow with a window in its side and rubber gloves that let you rummage around in it's stomach. I felt at the time that was likely the most fucked up thing id ever see. At the time.

I'm pretty sure this needs to be quoted. That is Fuct Up.

tfcleeds
04-26-2012, 07:11 AM
The Raptors made the playoffs in their 5th year in the NBA where the talent disparity is worse than MLS. They have since made the playoffs four more times in their 17 years of existence.

TFC is just a fucked up club with a lethal combination of terrible management and bad luck since day one.

This article is fine, I don't know why people are mad about it (if they are). TFC has been off to a pathetic start and people are allowed to write about it. I don't know what this guy said during the early years of TFC so I can't comment on that.

People don't like Archer because he's a xenophobic creep who probably hasn't been out of his mother's basement once in his life, let alone, the good ol' U S of A. Anyway, yes, he has a right to write about it, no one's denying that. However, nothing of what he says is anything that anyone on this board hasn't known for a long time, so it's kind of preaching to the choir in that respect. He'd be better off focusing on his own club, which last I checked, while better than us, certainly is no great shakes.

Chris Wren
04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Fuck Bill Archer. Why promote that d-bag or help him by linking on his blog? I know what TFC's issues are, I don't need that piece of trash to tell me.

Roogsy
04-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Archer is an ass. And he gets to ease the pain of his pathetic life by writing a puny little blog in a place nobody even knows about so that he thinks his opinion is important. It isn't. He's a bitter, xenophobic, ignorant hick who hates everyone and everything and has never written a positive word about anyone, anywhere, you can just imagine what he is like in real life.

That being said...it's exactly to shut up assholes like Archer that I have always wanted Toronto teams to excel. The mocking we receive is well deserved. The records of futility all our friggin' teams love to compete for are why we are indeed the laughing stock not just of the little world of Bill Archer, but North American sports in general. Which is why I get upset when I see people around here basically saying "more please sir!"

Have some friggin' pride!

Roogsy
04-26-2012, 08:50 AM
People don't like Archer because he's a xenophobic creep who probably hasn't been out of his mother's basement once in his life, let alone, the good ol' U S of A. Anyway, yes, he has a right to write about it, no one's denying that. However, nothing of what he says is anything that anyone on this board hasn't known for a long time, so it's kind of preaching to the choir in that respect. He'd be better off focusing on his own club, which last I checked, while better than us, certainly is no great shakes.

They do have 2 recent Cup Championships and a bucketload of playoff appearances to ease their pain. Regardless of this year's start, they have a heckuvalot more to cheer about than we do. Which only makes their stadium attendance all the more pitiful.

tfcleeds
04-26-2012, 09:03 AM
They do have 2 recent Cup Championships and a bucketload of playoff appearances to ease their pain. Regardless of this year's start, they have a heckuvalot more to cheer about than we do. Which only makes their stadium attendance all the more pitiful.Yeah, they've had quite a bit more success than us. It just rankles because I don't need some Crew fan telling me how terrible my club is - I'm quite aware of that myself. And if he's going to poke fun at our attendance, well - pot, kettle, black.

james
04-26-2012, 09:52 AM
you can say what you want about how shitty are performance on the field is because it is embarrassing and all true to be honest. As for our attendence, yes we aren't getting 20,000 fans every game any more. Many fans have had enough, ticket prices went up, people don't want to pay anymore. Atmosphere is not that good anymore for some league games. But we are still getting 16,000+ (46,000 for a concacaf Champions League game) and thats with having 6 years of pure shit performance. Half the teams in MLS can win a Championship (Columbus) or make the playoffs (just about every other team in MLS) and still only sell the same amount or even less tickets then we do. Thats still impressive.

Technorgasm
04-26-2012, 09:58 AM
I LOVE Bil Archer.
I really do.
Everyone needs a Villan.
We all need a target to focus our frustration, hate and vigor.

We are lucky to have one that is so knowledable abotu North American Soccer, and who has been in the game for so many years.
He writes well, supports a regional rival and has opionion and platform.

What more could you ask for!
I really do liek the guy, and hope he continues to shine the harsh light on TFC (Terrible Football Club)
We deserve every jeer he has for us.

Keep up the good work Bill!!
You got yourself a fan right here!

DangerRed
04-26-2012, 12:50 PM
He's right, you know.

Not sure about the MLSE-paid-off-RPB bit, but pretty much everything else is spot on.

Chevy
04-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Can it play Centre-Back?

Roogsy
04-26-2012, 01:02 PM
I LOVE Bil Archer.
I really do.
Everyone needs a Villan.
We all need a target to focus our frustration, hate and vigor.

I didn't know he was an Aston Villa fan? :lol:

Jack
04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
It's not like he's said anything new or brought any insight. He just made a list of what's wrong with us. We've been doing a better job of it right here on the forums without reading his shitty blog.

Chris Wren
04-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Have some pride by not linking to his article. TFC supporters shouldn't be promoting anything he has to say. Right, wrong.....who cares? F him.

dow117
04-28-2012, 11:22 AM
No he is not right !!!. This guy is a jealous little prick who is only here coz we invented Columbus...

Couchy81
04-28-2012, 11:37 AM
No he is not right !!!. This guy is a jealous little prick who is only here coz we invented Columbus...

I'm sure envy does factor into his obsession, even if he denies it. Sub consciously it's there.

nfitz
04-29-2012, 10:28 AM
The guy has made it quite clear in some of his previous postings that he's a bigot. Why even read what he says, clearly he has severe issues.