PDA

View Full Version : Nuno Gomes rejects TFC offer

dantdot
07-12-2008, 12:00 PM
So this was the big name DP? On to plan B!http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080712.wspt-tfc12/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

DOMIN8R
07-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Nice find.

Smenge
07-12-2008, 12:57 PM
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080712.wspt-tfc12/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Lucky Strike
07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=86106#post86106

Kickit09
07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
dont you mean plan D

Juanito
07-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Toronto FC is going to have a tough time finding guys to play here because we don't have the prestige of the European teams. It stinks, but its the reality. We need to convince some players, using DP money to come and create a great atmosphere for the players, not just the supporters.

I have said it before, we need to convert to a real grass pitch. We can't have guys bitching about the plastic pitch. It has and it will cost us more signings. I'm not sure why Gomes said no, but I'm sure that to leave a team like Benfica, in his home country would require lots of euros, probably more than we are willing to spend.

Kickit09
07-12-2008, 01:47 PM
it has nothing to do with prestige. LA, Chicago, Kansas, NY, San jose, ect.. nothing prestigious about those...... it comes down to either the turf or MLSE low-ballin ($) the DPs and thats why they are going else were.

Jay P
07-12-2008, 01:50 PM
we need to show them the brass rail.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Too bad...I think Gomes would have been a good signing.

At least it shows a willingness to go to places like Portugal other than England. It's a good sign.

Keep it up Mo! We realize there is only so much you can do. We know we aren't Real Madrid.

devioustrevor
07-12-2008, 01:59 PM
we need to show them the brass rail.

Why is everyone so caught up on the Brass Rail? I've been there many a time and it's hardly spectacular. The women are decent, but the sightlines in most of the bar are horrid.

Honestly, if he's single just direct him to TERB and point out that the services provided by links there are for all intents and purposes legal. Some of them are spectacular, so much so that I've considered bring my girlfriend with me on my next trip to Toronto. Don't know how well it would go over though.

Juanito
07-12-2008, 02:02 PM
MLSE has to stop being so cheap! We, the supporters have VASTLY exceeded expectation and maybe its time TO PUT UP THE DOLLARS!

noochie
07-12-2008, 02:09 PM
MLSE has to stop being so cheap! We, the supporters have VASTLY exceeded expectation and maybe its time TO PUT UP THE DOLLARS!

Cheap about what? You realize that MLSE is an organization that is well-known for vastly overpaying on contracts, spending to cap and inflating the market don't you?

Side note: what is with all the MLSE hate-on around here?

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Cheap about what? You realize that MLSE is an organization that is well-known for vastly overpaying on contracts, spending to cap and inflating the market don't you?

Dunno...seems like there is always something to hate MLSE for...it's not like they brought us a soccer team or anything. :rolleyes:

Baggio2TFC
07-12-2008, 02:12 PM
We all know Mo did not go over there to offer him $375,000! He went over there with a $5mil+ contract. To have someone of his calibre come here with our turf, knowing other teams in Europe are courting him...

It would take a hellva lot to get someone like him here....especially with our TURF....GET RID OF IT!!!!

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 02:14 PM
This would have scored major points with the Portuguese fanbase in Toronto, which I am sure Mo is well aware represents a healthy percentage. I agree with you that Mo probably went over there with a healthy contract, not peanuts and was still rejected. At the end of the day, the MLS is still considered a professional Siberia. He fights an uphill battle.

TFC07
07-12-2008, 02:14 PM

Too many Leafs and Raptors (MLSE isn't willing go over tax luxury for the Raps) fans on here.

Baggio2TFC
07-12-2008, 02:15 PM
This would have scored major points with the Portuguese fanbase in Toronto, which I am sure Mo is well aware represents a healthy percentage. I agree with you that Mo probably went over there with a healthy contract, not peanuts and was still rejected. At the end of the day, the MLS is still considered a professional Siberia. He fights an uphill battle.

Agreed 100%:canada:

Jay P
07-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Why is everyone so caught up on the Brass Rail?

athletes love the brass rail.

it makes up for fieldturf

noochie
07-12-2008, 02:18 PM

And TV!! The first big name that lands here will be great for TV, meaning more money for the club. I can't wait for that day although I hope it is coming soon :)

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Ok...we have a Nuno Gomes thread in TFC and the News section.

Can we have these merged?

alexintoronto
07-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Too many Leafs and Raptors (MLSE isn't willing go over tax luxury for the Raps) fans on here.

I asked Bryan Colangelo about that at a meet and greet thing - he said he is allowed to go over and will when the time is right. I don't know if he was being truthful or not - but I hope so!

TFC07
07-12-2008, 02:57 PM
I asked Bryan Colangelo about that at a meet and greet thing - he said he is allowed to go over and will when the time is right. I don't know if he was being truthful or not - but I hope so!

Well Jose Calderon took a minor paycut for first season in his new contract so that Raptors aren't over tax limit.

Cigano7
07-12-2008, 02:59 PM

As a TFC fan and being portuguese that would have not scored NO POINTS ever see him play for that 2nd tier team in Portugal they call Benfica, he is horrible almost worse then Lambardo actually he is worse as he played alot more minutes and wasted way more chances, he is done and something we dont need at all to move foward at TFC, as we dont need names, we need talent.

We already have loads of fan base, what we need is indeed some damm grass instead of some mickey mouse rug on a football field, but we are in hockey town so I understand things wont get done in rapid speed, specially when you sell out 24/7 and have half a squad that can play sunday league with me, damm I can teach Cuningham how to run a damm play and finish, one day even teach him how to take a spot kick. :noidea:

Nuno Gomes is useless, when there was that Joćo Pinto, even tough the guy is much older and looks done, he still would be a good asset for our club and MLS as that guy has talent, just slow for portuguese league now but still a good year if not two for MLS. But good luck trying to convince a player who was world class at some point, that this pitch is good for them.

That's when you need to slap a thing called $$$$ and TFC owners just wont do either of the two.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Not to take the thread off topic, but BC will do the right thing. We don't want to become the Knicks.

As for Mo...if he went after Gomes, he will go after other big fish.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 03:01 PM
As a TFC fan and being portuguese that would have not scored NO POINTS ever see him play for that 2nd tier team in Portugal they call Benfica, he is horrible almost worse then Lambardo actually he is worse as he played alot more minutes and wasted way more chances, he is done and something we dont need at all to move foward at TFC, as we dont need names, we need talent.

We already have loads of fan base, what we need is indeed some damm grass instead of some mickey mouse rug on a football field, but we are in hockey town so I understand things wont get done in rapid speed, specially when you sell out 24/7 and have half a squad that can play sunday league with me, damm I can teach Cuningham how to run a damm play and finish, one day even teach him how to take a spot kick. :noidea:

Nuno Gomes is useless, when there was that Joćo Pinto, even tough the guy is much older and looks done, he still would be a good asset for our club and MLS as that guy has talent, just slow for portuguese league now but still a good year if not two for MLS. But good luck trying to convince a player who was world class at some point, that this pitch is good for them.

That's when you need to slap a thing called $$$$ and TFC owners just wont do either of the two.

Fine. SOME fans.

Either way...it shows effort.

And your last statement shows that your bias just won't let you see past your own opinion. The fact that Mo would go afte Gomes, whether you like him or not, shows they are willing to make a financial commitment. You think Gomes would negotiate for 300k? So then how can you say TFC owners wont throw money (or $$$$ as you put it) at this?

noochie
07-12-2008, 03:02 PM
And is also shows they are willing to spend money... even if you don't think the player is worth it, which sort of negates your parting shot.

TFC07
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Mo should try to sign Crespo.

reggie
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM

no mlse no TFC....enough already with the mlse hate....

Smenge
07-12-2008, 03:08 PM
This was a good, albeit surprising, move by MO. I would like MO to send a scout into Italy, and look at some serie B talent. There are always many excellent young players that never get out of serie b, but would jump at the chance to spend a few years in Toronto.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 03:12 PM
We've already touched the Italian player thing.

Why do you think there aren't many Italian players playing in other major leageus like the EPL and Liga? And you think they will come to the MLS? You're kidding yourself. Mo would have more success in countries that have players who have shown willingness to move. Players from countries like Spain and Italy don't move around a whole lot. Players from Portugal, England, France....these do.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Who says Mo hasnt got something going on?!?!

(on another note, MSLE is not cheap, if they were they wouldnt have brought over carver, started an academy and bought that 60k system that noone else in the league has, please, leave your leaf bias at home, its really tiring. We dont know that they lowballed him, anyone maybe think that HE DOESNT WANT TO COME TO CANADA REGARDLESS OF THE AMOUNT OF MONEY?!)

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 03:38 PM

DUDE, you need to get over your Porto superiority complex. Nuno Gomes would be a good addition to the team whether you think so or not.

and for the Portuguese Comm. to be able to recognize a PT player on the team would only bring that much exposure to the team/league. Even from Portugal.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2008, 03:39 PM
DUDE, you need to get over your Porto superiority complex. Nuno Gomes would be a good addition to the team whether you think so or not.

and for the Portuguese Comm. to be able to recognize a PT player on the team would only bring that much exposure to the team/league. Even from Portugal.

HAHAAH
dont follow the Portuguese league but kinda thought there might be a bias in that cats comments, seeing as Gomes still makes the national team n all

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah!

leave it to the Porto fans to shit on everything Portuguese that isn't draped in blue. They even shit on the league and their fans gloat like its an achievement. LOL

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM
dont you mean plan D

You dont actually like TFC do you

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 03:55 PM
another one!!!!

Geez there are already 2 other threads about this same topic.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 04:00 PM
We are trying to find someone with merge powers. Some of us see the repetitive threads but don't have the ability to put it all together in one.

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 04:01 PM
We are trying to find someone with merge powers. Some of us see the repetitive threads but don't have the ability to put it all together in one.

yeah, i hear ya.

i guess foresight is a thing of the past huh? ;)

dantdot
07-12-2008, 04:15 PM
This news section is redundant, everyone posts important news in the TFC section. Might as well just pin a topic in the TFC section and continually update it like the old forum.

Pachuco
07-12-2008, 04:16 PM

This is the most biased, dumbest post I have read on these boards. You're talking about the same Nuno Gomez that just looked impressive in the Euro Cup? the same guy who captained Portugal?

TFC has enough fan base? the same team who's TV ratings are pretty pathetic? you think we have enough fan base because we fill up the stadium? sheeze, I'm glad you don't run MLSE!!

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 04:16 PM
That's always been an issue. But the fact is that we have a news section and some people think the opposite of you and think it works quite well...for those willing to click on the link. I am not sure how much more difficult it is to check on the news link for something that is...wait for it...

news.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 04:18 PM
:rofl:

Gotta agree Pachuco.

TFC 420
07-12-2008, 04:23 PM
It's too bad Nuno Gomes won't be a member of TFC

As a lifelong Benficista and a TFC fan, I know that Nuno would have torn up the MLS

Cigano7
07-12-2008, 04:47 PM
This is the most biased, dumbest post I have read on these boards. You're talking about the same Nuno Gomez that just looked impressive in the Euro Cup? the same guy who captained Portugal?

TFC has enough fan base? the same team who's TV ratings are pretty pathetic? you think we have enough fan base because we fill up the stadium? sheeze, I'm glad you don't run MLSE!!

No we have enough fan base because we got all southern Ontario if not Ontario footy fans, you think all in that stadium are from Toronto? The fan base isnt no problem and it keeps growing with a average product on the pitch as I havent been blown over at any game, as our squad needs to improve in talent, that being said why I said no to Nulo Gomes and yes to JVPinto as at least he brings some flair and great experience to midfield and creates attacks and the kids like others can only learn and benifit.

Because I am a Porto fan it's not bias Nuno Gomes sucks he went 6 months with no goals last year and scored on a sitter open net last game of the season where a rout was already on, before that he missed chance after chance looked pathetic.

Sure he had a decent showing at Euro better then his usuall pathetic performances but so did Baros at euro04 WTF you going on about? I pay and suscribe to the chop league and if you watch it you can see he has lost it since he came back from Fiorentina after one season back at SLB he has been fading away and is just playing because of the name. So wow this euro he netted a few goals one useless he wasent anything to brag home about, I rather still take the german Gomez even after that horrid miss at least he still can produce.

TFC isnt a retirement package for a so called big name, I wanna see our youth develop and learn something I dont wanna see Lombardo #2, you might be a SLB fan as only a few of them can defend this tool as even their own loyal fans many want him out.

You want a striker that can bring us something and is in Portugal and maybe would accept MLS and Toronto, talk to Braga's Joao Tomas a good fit and cheap then later maybe Postiga as first let's see if he finally fits at a club, this time at SCP.

I agree with the fella saying forget Italy as Italians dont want out of Italy be it serieB even C they prefer to stay and play in their home land unless EPL fat paycheck arrives as since Zola days they like the lure of EPl or if it's Real Madrid calling to Barcelona or you can forget it. They will play for a small serieA club for 25% the wages before comming to Canada, any of their older stars.

TFC 420It's too bad Nuno Gomes won't be a member of TFC

As a lifelong Benficista and a TFC fan, I know that Nuno would have torn up the MLS

I hope you are being sarcastic and it's a joke :D as for people that dont see the portuguese league and how sh;t he is they might beleive you as him getting a goal at euro08 almost made him Henry status on this forum.

Hugo Almeida sat on that bench as is twice the player he is and could have helped us against Germany even Meira another bundasliga player but both our tallest players sat on the bench and watched Scolari's #1 keeper Rictardo screw our hopes away. Also the germans I guess to him were not that big not only to use our only two players with loads of german expereince in their league and success also not even use Quaresma to Nani at all. Thank god Queiroz has arrived so the likes of Nulo Gomes and Rictardo days on the NT are over.

TFC has a better chance seeing goals with Robbie Fowler before this hyped SLB player, we need players not worried about their hair on the pitch.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
We have enough of a fanbase?

I am sure you wouldn't be saying that if it was a player from your beloved team. You can't possibly believe we have "enough" of a fanbase when the sport and team are barely on anyone's radar screens and the OHL is bigger than the league and team in Southern Ontario. There is no logic in your post...just justification for your bias.

Cigano7
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM

I am sure you wouldn't be saying that if it was a player from your beloved team. You can't possibly believe we have "enough" of a fanbase when the sport and team are barely on anyone's radar screens and the OHL is bigger than the league and team in Southern Ontario. There is no logic in your post...just justification for your bias.

Go watch a New York game in NYC or a Dallas to KC etc.. game and tell me how is there fan base. We aint ever going to be bigger then the joke of the leafs and NHL your in a hockey crazed country and it aint ever going to happen, to me TFC has beaten many odd's I consider us the best MLS franchise and we dident need a David Beckham. If you think you will pass the hockey ratings or be in their market you might as well keep dreaming.

I am one of the few that couldent give a fu;ck about ice hockey I catch a few Raptor games at ACC and thats about it, could care less about NHL,CFL,MLB etc... Only watch our football club, but that in the GTA is rare. As like I said we have a good fan base compared to all MLS sides and us being in the heart of hockey town, it's a success and a growing fan base and very good one at that. Soon more televised games it takes time and you see it growing, so I have no complaint's upset our pitch that is a joke if we wanna be known as a good football club we cant play in mickey mouse turf's get us some grass and then go from there.

Baggio2TFC
07-12-2008, 05:03 PM

I have to agree! We don't have a big fan base at all! TFC gets lower #'s then Poker. Nuno Gomes would have been a great fit here, any player with a name would be great! I understand we want to start from the ground up, but let's be realistic...TFC and MLS are pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to signing big names. I understand we don't want this to become a retierment league, but as one person said on here a few months ago, this league is built to win today, or tomorrow. It does not have the finances nor the name(for lack of a better word) to bring in the Rooney's and the Ronaldo's of the world.

I have to agree, Nuno is not the player he once was, but to still be named to the WC team and named team captian(albeit may have been from caps, although that is enough in itself), can still light it up in this league even at 32.:canada:

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I don't care what the NY or KC fanbase is like. Your statement doesn't say that our fanbase is BETTER or BIGGER than theirs...you said that we have ENOUGH of a fanbase in Southern Ontario...like we have peaked or can't improve. Based on what? the fact that we sell out the stadium? And yet you blissfully ignore that we can't even pull down 100k in viewership. So yeah...you don't care about hockey...but that's just putting your head in the sand...that's the market we live in and even an unimportant game pulls in millions of viewers which means we don't even pull one tenth of the audience that is possible. Just one of so many reasons your statement simply has no logic.

And all of this you use as an excuse for Gomes being a bad signing? WTF?

Baggio2TFC
07-12-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't care what the NY or KC fanbase is like. Your statement doesn't say that our fanbase is BETTER or BIGGER than theirs...you said that we have ENOUGH of a fanbase in Southern Ontario...like we have peaked or can't improve. Based on what? the fact that we sell out the stadium? And yet you blissfully ignore that we can't even pull down 100k in viewership. So yeah...you don't care about hockey...but that's just putting your head in the sand...that's the market we live in and even an unimportant game pulls in millions of viewers which means we don't even pull one tenth of the audience that is possible. Just one of so many reasons your statement simply has no logic.

I have too agree again!!! Man, your on FIRE!!!!:mad5:

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Getting pumped up for the game!

DON'T MESS WITH ME TODAY MAN! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! :taz:

Baggio2TFC
07-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Getting pumped up for the game!

DON'T MESS WITH ME TODAY MAN! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! :taz:

I hear ya! Already told the wife, watch and enjoy or go shopping!!!!:hump:

kitchener-TFC
07-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Until all of BMO Field is filled with supporters like in sections 111/112/127, our fan base can definately improve and grow.
I just hope that MO can find that big fish that all of us are looking for.

BTW, what are the tv ratings for TFC games?

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 05:28 PM
They fluctuate between 60k and 100k. I think a few times we've managed to go above 100k, but not very often.

Flipityflu
07-12-2008, 05:29 PM
i think they are around 70,000.

i wonder if any of them can score...

Baggio2TFC
07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Until all of BMO Field is filled with supporters like in sections 111/112/127, our fan base can definately improve and grow.

I believe The Score had game 2 months ago or so and apperrently only about 100,000 tuned in. Pretty sad too say but it is true. Again though, until MLS opens the wallet and growes the salary cap, those are gonna be the #'s for a while. I mean, Beckham alone can't do it all.:noidea:

Flipityflu
07-12-2008, 06:08 PM
if TFC has a strong second half and makes the playoffs, you will see the ratings go up then. i agree that the other method will be a name player, however i am not confident of that happening with the present condition of BMO field...

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 06:35 PM
okay, well, ummm, what to say?

the opinions expressed by certain individuals in this thread are of the individuals themselves, not the Portuguese community on this board as a whole. :confused:

Please dont lump us into the same light :noidea:

lol

Pachuco
07-12-2008, 06:44 PM

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Baggio2TFC
07-12-2008, 06:44 PM
okay, well, ummm, what to say?

the opinions expressed by certain individuals in this thread are of the individuals themselves, not the Portuguese community on this board as a whole. :confused:

Please dont lump us into the same light :noidea:

lol

I hear ya!

Smenge
07-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Second tier players in Italy, Spain, Germany, etc, will not consider a move to MLS unless the $ is there. It has nothing to do with ability, or skill level. Many good young players end up toiling in their respective leagues because they are not good enough to play at the top level.

Same can be said of many league championship and first division players in England. However, the salaries in serie b are generally shit, so that may be good reason to scout there. I, for one, do not buy into the argument that league championship is somehow better than these other leagues, simply because it is in England.

From what little I have seen, it is on par with mls.

Having said this, a player of Gomes ability would, if healthy, represent a huge step forward. I hope MO continues this surreptitious negotiating of his long enough to land a big fish.

As for the guy who hates Benfica, so what, he knows what he knows, and i don't give a shit.

noochie
07-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Btw... TFC TV numbers are crap. Under 30K especially for away games... seriously getting beaten by poker reruns on TSN. Don't tell me a player like Gomes cannot seriously improve that.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 06:53 PM
So we want players who are unproven or not good enough in the 1st divisions?

Sorry mate...even if there was a total steal to be found in the 2nd leagues of Spain and Italy, the plain fact is that TFC does not have the scouting ability to find them. Bringing one in would be a crapshoot. In that regard, I do understand Mo's preference for UK players. It's less of a gamble for him. And as you clearly state, it would still take $ to bring them over.

Smenge
07-12-2008, 06:54 PM
maybe somebody could persuade Don Cherry to to the colour commentary for the tfc broadcasts. He could start with a clip on "Hitman Harmse's famous ankle busting blood bursting cleats up tackles of the past five years". That would be fun to watch.:rolleyes:

kitchener-TFC
07-12-2008, 07:12 PM
They fluctuate between 60k and 100k. I think a few times we've managed to go above 100k, but not very often.
Where should we be at in terms of tv ratings?

Benficachop20
07-12-2008, 07:17 PM
We already have a player that fucks up easy chances, his name is Cunningham. Gomes is practically a more expensive version of him. God i want him out of Benfica though, he's been finished for several years already.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Hard to say...100k is a decent performance but nothing to write home about. But if we pulled that as an average, I think stations would be willing to look at investing more into coverage and advertising.

sidney
07-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Fuck nuno-fuck-nuts. Fuck em.

Marco2K
07-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Are you fuckin kidding me? this has to be the dumbest fuckin post ever.

I am disapointed to see that Nuno gomes did not want to come here. He would have been a perfect fit. I am happy to see that Mo is out there trying to get good players. very happy.

Cause damnit we stink.

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 08:40 PM
^^ lol

i love the last line

LMAO

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Take out the personal attack please Marco.

Dirk Diggler
07-12-2008, 11:10 PM
We've already touched the Italian player thing.

Why do you think there aren't many Italian players playing in other major leageus like the EPL and Liga? And you think they will come to the MLS? You're kidding yourself. Mo would have more success in countries that have players who have shown willingness to move. Players from countries like Spain and Italy don't move around a whole lot. Players from Portugal, England, France....these do.

Spanish players don't move around a lot? I think you need to look at the rosters of the teams in the UK. Lot of Spaniards in the EPL and SPL ("journeymen" types included). I don't believe nationality has got anything to do with it. Its just that outside of the couple of elite teams, most of the clubs in La Liga and Serie A, especially the minnow types, are stacked with local talents, thus they don't usually have to venture outside of their own country for a big contract or a career ending type of small contract. For one reason or another, even the smaller clubs in England seem to have a lot of foreign players, so there seems to be that much more competition for a finite amount of spots in the top tier.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Spanish players don't move around a lot? I think you need to look at the rosters of the teams in the UK. Lot of Spaniards in the EPL and SPL ("journeymen" types included). I don't believe nationality has got anything to do with it. Its just that outside of the couple of elite teams, most of the clubs in La Liga and Serie A, especially the minnow types, are stacked with local talents, thus they don't usually have to venture outside of their own country for a big contract or a career ending type of small contract. For one reason or another, even the smaller clubs in England seem to have a lot of foreign players, so there seems to be that much more competition for a finite amount of spots in the top tier.

Aside from Liverpool, who because of Benitez started loading up on players like Reina and Torres how many teams in the FA have Spaniards? I think you are letting one significant example taint your perception. The plain fact is that Spain and Italy retain most of their players a lot better than other countries, especially England.

dannyd
07-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Mo should try to sign Crespo.

I'm with you 100%... my second favourite player of all time (behind Mardona)... no matter what, you will always get 200% from that man every second he's on the pitch... thats what we need...

Blizzard
07-12-2008, 11:20 PM
athletes love the brass rail.

it makes up for fieldturf

They shave their fieldtuf.

Dirk Diggler
07-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Aside from Liverpool, who because of Benitez started loading up on players like Reina and Torres how many teams in the FA have Spaniards? I think you are letting one significant example taint your perception. The plain fact is that Spain and Italy retain most of their players a lot better than other countries, especially England.

Aside from Liverpool, some of the Spaniards that I can remember are Mikal Arteta, Almunia, and Jose Enrique. In the SPL, the couple that I can think of are Rangers' Carlos Cuellar and Nacho Novo. I'm quite certain there are a fair bit more in both leagues. More Spanish players in Britain than British players in Spain, that's for sure.

Bobo
07-13-2008, 02:51 AM
I'm with you 100%... my second favourite player of all time (behind Mardona)... no matter what, you will always get 200% from that man every second he's on the pitch... thats what we need...

Crespo in the MLS wouldn't be fair.

Marco2K
07-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Imagine he would have said yes.

Nuno gomes on TFC

damn

Cigano7
07-13-2008, 01:30 PM
We already have a player that fucks up easy chances, his name is Cunningham. Gomes is practically a more expensive version of him. God i want him out of Benfica though, he's been finished for several years already.

Glad to hear finally some logic. In Portugal many SLB fans like you share the same view, and many more non SLB fans. As I guess for SLB fans here he is whats going to take MLS and TFC to the top, his maybe 2,000 more viewership that he will bring in in this hockey market country is what is needed, not a guy that wants to come make our league better and also wanna be here, what almost all forget Nuno Gomes wont ever accept a move out of Portugal he had a two year stint at serieA side Fiorentina and even then wanted to go back home, and had the likes of Rui Costa in Florence to at least draw him there plus the many millions and also a short jet flight away from Portugal to Lisbon and like many their loved Algarve sun,food,etc...

They like Crespo another that even with millions a year wanted out of UK and a jet ASAP back to Italy as they dident like the culture nor being far from confort and family seeing he married a italian and loves the Italy lifestyle and argentinan something totally diferent from what we have here in Ontario.

Mo go to Braga ask forJoćo Tomas services a guy that can come on the cheap and is a realistic target, as he already had his stint for millions on the arabic league for a season and now is on Braga he will also make the Benfica fans here happy seeing he played for SLB and even one season got 18 goals, but he just dosent have Nuno Gomes hair like Lambardo if that is what your looking for like some here. :noidea:

Reading some posts I almost tought we were getting Fernando Torres, when we wanna go back to realistic terms and seeing players that can help us now and also wanna be here and actually accept them maybe give this guy a call, he also was for a brief time a Portugal international for a brief brief time :D

I wouldent mind seeing how his career is almost done but a guy that actually fit's in and has some talent.

def fret
07-13-2008, 01:53 PM

There's even a couple of us in 113.

ExiledRed
07-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Aside from Liverpool, who because of Benitez started loading up on players like Reina and Torres how many teams in the FA have Spaniards?

Arsenal, Bolton, Blackburn, Manchester United, Middlesborough.

cuecas_red
07-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Mo go to Braga ask forJoćo Tomas services a guy that can come on the cheap and is a realistic target, as he already had his stint for millions on the arabic league for a season and now is on Braga he will also make the Benfica fans here happy seeing he played for SLB and even one season got 18 goals, but he just dosent have Nuno Gomes hair like Lambardo if that is what your looking for like some here. :noidea:

Joao might be a better fit since Nuno usually plays better with another striker with him....more info in joao tomas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%A3o_Tom%C3%A1s

Benficachop20
07-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I would rather have Joao Tomas then Gomes, he'd be cheaper and better.

Cigano7
07-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Are you fuckin kidding me? this has to be the dumbest fuckin post ever.

I am disapointed to see that Nuno gomes did not want to come here. He would have been a perfect fit. I am happy to see that Mo is out there trying to get good players. very happy.

Cause damnit we stink.

Glad to see then your bright insight, so what do you suggest for our club est.2007 and not 1893? :noidea: maybe David Villa or Shevchenko at 160,000 pounds a week will give up a few quid and come here for TFC right mate?

It's my last reply to even defending myself again on my first post as if you cant see reality and face it why bother, again babby steps in moving foward and also teaching many the way football works.

Seems a few already googled the guy I suggested but hey just a suggestion why not look at guys that have made move's to inferior leagues and go from there and also dont demand outrages wages for MLS standerd's. Also willing to listen to a possible offer and then take it from there convince them on how great the city is the buzz around the team and also he wont lack portuguese restaurants and areas where they speak his language,etc.. Also maybe say we will one day get grass as our pitch as that to me is a step foward instead of this Gomes,Crespo joke talk.

You even think Mo got to speak on the phone with Nuno Gomes, he is trying what? he probally never made a call and if he did it dident pass their office, if that call ever existed.

Jeff s
07-13-2008, 05:09 PM

Agree!!!

He is no different from Cunny other than being slower.
He misses some of the easiest tap in and is non existent in the game he plays in.

Benficachop20
07-13-2008, 05:12 PM
i also doubt that there is any truth in this. Unlike other players Gomes won't come on a free and will cost them a couple of million first, then the expensive contract.