PDA

View Full Version : Gomes Turns Down TFC

noochie
07-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Millson returns... with a doozy! Hopefully McB will be in Chicago by next week also to quel that saga.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080712.wspt-tfc12/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080712.wspt-tfc12/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

djking2
07-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Just read that Noochie What a pisser that didn't work out

Mojo
07-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Talk about out of the blue... maybe this new signing will be a lot more high profile then we think :O

noochie
07-12-2008, 12:12 PM
What is really sad about this one is that he could have been the guy to provide the spark on the field and also be the real catalyst for bringing up the TV numbers... especially so hot off of Euro 2008.

Nuvinho
07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
This is not good. I hope Mo wasn't putting all his eggs in one basket. I really hope they have a backup plan.
No Hucks, No Dickov maybe, now No Gomes.
I'm glad to hear that the McBride saga will be over soon tho.

Lucky Strike
07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Wow, talk about out of left field. That's disappointing but it's good that Mo is thinking big. I'm also looking forward to the end of the McBride affair.

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 12:26 PM
that would have been the signing of the season as far as im concerned. Too bad!!!!!

Broadview
07-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I wonder how much dough Mo was throwing around? It must have been substantial to be going after such a big fish.

At least the guy is trying. Keep it up Mo!

kitchener-TFC
07-12-2008, 12:34 PM
I wasn't expecting MO to go after these kinds of players, but I like that he's thinking big.

Corpand
07-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Phew, at least he isnt looking in England all the time

TFC07
07-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Phew, at least he isnt looking in England all the time

Agreed.

brad
07-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Agreed.

And why is that? We need a goal scorer, it doesn't matter where he comes from. Need I remind you that the best goal scoring DP in the league came from "looking in England"?

noochie
07-12-2008, 01:00 PM
And why is that? We need a goal scorer, it doesn't matter where he comes from. Need I remind you that the best goal scoring DP in the league came from "looking in England"?

No one suggested that he isn't looking there or shouldn't be... people are encouraged that he is looking in places other than (and including) England.

Lucky Strike
07-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Come on, let's not do this again. What he's saying is that it's good that Mo is not limiting his options by keeping to the UK. It has NOTHING to do with the nature/character of the players! God! :mad:

rocker
07-12-2008, 01:06 PM
then..... Hucks and Dichov were/are the backup plans while Mojo also has feelers out for the big shot DP types. Not a bad strategy.
Since we heard nothing of this pursuit of Nuno Gomes I'm not gonna get too worked up about what other options may exist. Clearly there are things going on that we know nothing about.

Corpand
07-12-2008, 01:08 PM
*sniff* *sniff* http://youtube.com/watch?v=yTdazOhd74o

NF-FC
07-12-2008, 01:18 PM
let the random DP speculation commence!

Craig Bellamy...and go!

kdzb
07-12-2008, 01:32 PM
No big name will accept to play in toronto on a plastic surface. Mark my words.

It's nice to see that Mo is looking hard at big calibres to improve the team and with us (the best fans in the league) any big player who comes to MLS will love to play in front of that kind of atmosphere.

Once again, the pitch will be the biggest obstacle in all contracts talks. It's not the money, It's not the facility. All these stuff are first class.

It's the fucking pitch that is turning the good players away from TFC. It's sad but those bitches at MLSE and The City of Toronto thinks more about the bubble and renting the facility in the off season than TFC and getting hardwares and stuff.

This is becoming a joke. All the players in TFC that say good stuff about the surface are players that needs a job and they say that just in front of the camera but I bet you that off camera, they pray god every day that they don't get injured or their footballing career is over.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-12-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree that the turf is going to keep us from landing a big name. I get the sense that MLSE / The City are starting to rethink the turf. Lets hope there’s a change in the not too distant future.

I think a DP striker would be great, but I still think we could do a lot of damage with just a quality player or two at the striker position. Look at all the close games we’ve had. It would be nice to have a DP scoring 20 goals a season, but even a lesser talent scoring 8 - 11 goals would do a lot to boost the teams fortunes. Gomes would be awesome, but the likes of Dickov, Darren Byfield, or Wayne Andrews would all make an impact (as would a host on non British players I know).

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Gomes isn't at his peak anymore obviously, he actually had a tough season last year only scoring 8 times or something like that.

The one thing he does still possess is that killer first touch. He's not afraid to hit the ball first time which is what i think our forwards (actually anyone in the box) needs to do more often. They always seem to want to control the ball first, then strike it, giving up too much time.

anyway, just my thoughts.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 03:15 PM
There is only one question. Who would you rather have up front? Cunny or Gomes?

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 03:15 PM
WOW!!!!!! what a question!!!!!!

LMAO!

kdzb
07-12-2008, 07:24 PM
I hope you are kidding SLBuu...He is not at his peak?
I will take him any time over the strikers we have at the moment.
I think if a player gets a call from Big Phil to play for The National Team and wear the Captain armband should be at least at his peak.

Daveisonfire
07-12-2008, 10:19 PM
HOLY SNAP!

I like what Mo is trying to do!!!:D

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I think if a player gets a call from Big Phil to play for The National Team and wear the Captain armband should be at least at his peak.

i understand where ur coming from but he is not at his peak, period. there really is no question.

would he be better than what we have now? Absolutely, i would love for him to have agreed. He's been the face for one of my favourite teams for as long as i have been a fan. but as an admirer, i can acknowledge that he is past his prime. I hope he proves me wrong.

Bobo
07-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Would have been really neat to see. He's been so poor though, I wouldn't know what to expect. He would have fit right into our formation at the very least.

pubboy
07-13-2008, 12:51 PM
let the random DP speculation commence!

Craig Bellamy...and go!

I would rather lose every game of the season than have that cry baby, money grabbing waste of space here at Toronto. Bellend has to be the most overrated player in recent times. :mad:

Ossington Mental Youth
07-13-2008, 01:26 PM
People are delusional if they think we are going to sign top calibre european players in their prime.

Take a look at Angel, he was on a downward slide at Villa before he came here adn now hes doing incredibly well.

Be realistic about DP options, its Toronto, in the MLS, we are not going to be signing Ronaldinho.

BeachRed
07-13-2008, 06:21 PM
It's not the money,

You've never met an agent, have you?

kdzb
07-13-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't need to meet an agent to know that in sport in general Agents ask for the maximum profit for their proteger.

I know one thing - MLSE is filthy with money and Mo said that the board gave him the green light to buy a DP, the only thing he was waiting for is the right player to catch his eye.

The PROBLEM is BMO's playing surface...It's plastic unfortunately and if you are a big name player who wants to finish your career in beauty by helping a team get some hardware in their trophy room, you want to at least last a couple years in that club injury free.
Even our own National Team don't want to play at BMO they have been forced to honor their contract with the city I guess to play here. Everybody knows what the CMNT players think about the surface.

Only one question is bothering me a bit:
Is the weather any different between Montreal and Toronto during the winter?
Why Stade Saputo is Grass and our BMO is turf?

Roogsy
07-13-2008, 06:49 PM
The City of Toronto

Otherwise, I think MLSE would have turned the plastic to grass the moment this became an issue.

Jeff s
07-13-2008, 08:09 PM

Are you serious???

Scolari was heavily criticized for his weird decisions, so should we praise this man just because he was a captain for Portugal? Fuck this guy doesn't even talk to the refs, when he does its to ask if his fucking hair looks good.

He's the captain for Benfica to, never seen him talk to any players.

Its become so bad, Benfica fans "the ones that arent living back in 2000 and still have some sort of man crush on him" want this "legend" to get the fuck out!!

Everytime he plays he is non existent, Benfica might aswell start with 10 men. And this is the honest truth, I have never, ever ever ever seen a striker literally back out of a header other than Gomes. Yes thats right, I have actually seen this loser purposely gets out of the way of headers, and this is a striker??

Its so bad they have a comp of his misses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTs-1E-A1jw&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWsD52G66Jg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKi_54tBjY&feature=related

Trust me, from someone who sees every Benfica game for years now, not one or 2 games a season 4 years ago like some people, him rejecting us is a BLESSING.

Someone asked who do you prefer cunny or Gomes. I would seriously pick cunny, cause one: they play the same, and 2 only difference is that Cunny is way faster. Cunny wins.

BigD
07-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Only one question is bothering me a bit:
Is the weather any different between Montreal and Toronto during the winter?
Why Stade Saputo is Grass and our BMO is turf?

BMO is used in the winter. They put a dome over the playing surface to allow it to be rented out for indoor play.

In Montreal they probably plan to leave it unused in the winter and let the grass die and regenerate in the spring naturally.

Under the BMO dome the grass would die and then be ground to dirt in the winter.

Real grass means no winter use, which mean less rental revenue, which means less money for the city. The city only agreed to build the stadium if they could use it in the winter. So if MLSE wants to put grass in they would have to buy the stadium from the city (they currently only manage it). Now seeing the support that we have given to TFC it might be wise to buy the stadium and put in real grass ... but then I am a supporter ... and spend my money on my team.

pubboy
07-18-2008, 09:10 AM
MLS has to take a decision here and rule that all playing surfaces should be grass. Only when they take this seriously will they truly be able to attract the right calibre of players, and be taken seriously as a league around the world. Unfortunately, that is still not the case.

sweetlemon69
07-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Guys there's options to put grass OVER the turf and take it off in the winter, thus still allowing the winter use. Lets STOP getting our nickers in a knot about this turf...

Batman
07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Guys there's options to put grass OVER the turf and take it off in the winter, thus still allowing the winter use. Lets STOP getting our nickers in a knot about this turf...

This is true.

I was told this a few weeks back by one of the execs.

BMO, TFC and MLSE are examining this option. I would not be the least bit surprised that this will be announced shortly.

We would open the season on field turf but real grass would be put down after the first few weeks when the growing season starts.

So overall folks, let's hold off on getting bent out of shape on this.
MLSE, TFC and BMO are aware of the problem. They'll work it out. They know they have to in order to attract the talent they want, so they can be the club they aspire to be.

invictusTFC
07-18-2008, 12:00 PM

If they can put (temporary) grass in the Rogers Center, they can certainly can do it at BMO.

jloome
07-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Temporary grass costs a fortune. Like, millions. In fact, unless they use that turf-blend product (can't remember the name) where turf adheres to the grass, they'll also have to put in a watering system and, in all likelihood due to the colder end of the season, hot water pipes.

It's not cheap, but it'll happen eventually if it's hurting the team. Again, I have to state that it's a shame perception of injuries is winning out of the reality that there is nothing to support this "fear" from players; given that MLSE insures all of the players against injury and has to pay their medical bills, it's retarded to assume it wouldn't be as big an issue for them if it were really the case.

Having said that, perception is perception. I think this has more to do with players thinking it's Mickey Mouse than really knowing anything about being injured on it; many Euro teams practise all week long on field turf without it causing injury problems, they just don't want to play on it because it doesn 't feel the same as turf.

Does that mean it's the sole reason we're not signing these guys? Seems very unlikey to me. In every case, they've had other issues -- Huckerby said he wanted the California lifestyle, Musampa was offered DP'ish money to go to Korea, Dickov has been offered a coaching role and (in the case of Leicester) more money as well.

We have to face reality: MLS is still a second-tier league, with second-tier problems. Money is a very big one -- the pay rates here just don't do much for English players, and neither Mo nor Carver seems to have any contacts scouting outside of Europe.

I'd be quite happy if our DP was relatively unknown but a prolific scorer; and I don't think, wiht a few million bucks waived in their face, that's as much a recruitment problem as a scouting issue.

McBrace
07-18-2008, 01:02 PM
If they can put (temporary) grass in the Rogers Center, they can certainly can do it at BMO.

I saw this for the Porto Liverpool game a few years back. I'm not sure it can be don't effectively, the pitch becomes very slick, or from what I could tell they were slidding all over the place.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-18-2008, 01:06 PM
That pitch also had a shelf life of 72 hours…if memory serves, it was laid on the Thursday Liverpool/Porto Friday…Celtic/Roma Saturday by Sunday it was done.

Derko
07-18-2008, 01:22 PM
As I have said in the past several times, would FIFA approve of Field Turf if it is that bad for players.
Again the turf argument is bullshit.

TO DEVILS
07-18-2008, 01:27 PM
As I have said in the past several times, would FIFA approve of Field Turf if it is that bad for players.
Again the turf argument is bullshit.

Its not about good or bad...its about personal preference.

jloome
07-18-2008, 01:34 PM
^^ true, but that might change over time if players' whining wasn't continually given credence by fans. Look at the Man Utd situation in Moscow: Fergie tells them all to shut the fuck up and the game goes fine.

I'd still prefer grass, it's just a specious, wanker argument to say turf is dangerous, that's all. It's all about impressions, and the players don't want to be Mickey Mouse.

Except Huckerby, of course, which is just plain Goofy. (Note: plenty of options here for signage ideas to greet the bastard-who-let-me-down-heavy).

Batman
07-18-2008, 02:00 PM
It doesn't matter whether the injury issue is perception or reality, because the recruiting issue around field turf is reality, and that's what counts.

That's why TFC has to deal with it.

ensco
07-18-2008, 02:08 PM
^^ true, but that might change over time if players' whining wasn't continually given credence by fans. Look at the Man Utd situation in Moscow: Fergie tells them all to shut the fuck up and the game goes fine.

I'd still prefer grass, it's just a specious, wanker argument to say turf is dangerous, that's all. It's all about impressions, and the players don't want to be Mickey Mouse.

Except Huckerby, of course, which is just plain Goofy. (Note: plenty of options here for signage ideas to greet the bastard-who-let-me-down-heavy).

Anybody out there who wants to go on a 25 year mission to fight for "truth in fieldturf discussion", please do it at the expense of someone else, and not my team.

invictusTFC
07-18-2008, 02:29 PM
I'd be quite happy if our DP was relatively unknown but a prolific scorer; and I don't think, wiht a few million bucks waived in their face, that's as much a recruitment problem as a scouting issue.

I agree. Trying to pillage talent from the more notable leagues in Europe is not going to cut it. The only players from those leagues that would be willing to come here are players like Hucks and Dickov who piqued years ago. Smaller clubs in Europe have pillaged Brazil for years for decent talent. Eastern Europe is also a gold mine. Give a decent young player over there some good money and they will come regardless of the surface.

Blizzard
07-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Sure but temporary grass placed in Skydome for five days can't be compared to laying down a more permanent season long field.

That said, I agree it can be done and that it will be expensive but worth it in the long run!

Blizzard
07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
That pitch also had a shelf life of 72 hours…if memory serves, it was laid on the Thursday Liverpool/Porto Friday…Celtic/Roma Saturday by Sunday it was done.

bingo!!!